PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe trying to prove us something?

MavFan6488
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
you're not the best player in the world anymore, get over it. 40 points sounds impressive, but not if you take half of your teams shots every game.

i don't know whats more sad, desperate kobe taking 30 shots a game to prove us he's still the best (while everyone except lakerfans know he's not) or his wimpy coach not having the balls to tell him it's a team sport.

endrity
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Nah, he just tryin to pass MJ

JamStone
01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Kobe always plays to prove something. His ego needs it. It's always something. Chasing Michael. Proving distractions, injury, age aren't issues with his level of play. A broken marriage won't affect his play. Player rankings and other critics and naysayers. For a long time, Kobe has played with a motivation and an ego to prove something. This season is no different.

And while it might be his downfall, at his age and his NBA mileage and the knee and wrist issues, it's still kind of impressive. You can question and criticize a shitload of things about Kobe, but you can't question his mental and physical toughness or his work ethic. I'm sure he's out to prove a point, whatever that point is. But I didn't think he could put up back-to-back 40 spots. Especially against the Suns, he looked like he had young legs too. He's had a pretty strong start to the season.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Kobe always plays to prove something. His ego needs it. It's always something. Chasing Michael. Proving distractions, injury, age aren't issues with his level of play. A broken marriage won't affect his play. Player rankings and other critics and naysayers. For a long time, Kobe has played with a motivation and an ego to prove something. This season is no different.

And while it might be his downfall, at his age and his NBA mileage and the knee and wrist issues, it's still kind of impressive. You can question and criticize a shitload of things about Kobe, but you can't question his mental and physical toughness or his work ethic. I'm sure he's out to prove a point, whatever that point is. But I didn't think he could put up back-to-back 40 spots. Especially against the Suns, he looked like he had young legs too. He's had a pretty strong start to the season.

Bucher (who has been all over the map with his insider info) claims he is trying to prove to Dwight that he still has game left and that a trade to the Lakers would be better than joining Dwll in NJ. Based on the play of both this season .. I would say Kobe HAS proven that point hands down.

As for the MJ stuff, as impressive as those 40 point games were ... no way is he catching MJ in 40 point games. He has a chance at catching him on the all-time scoring list but that is no sure thing either.

The reality is, no matter how many rings he gets or points he scores his chance at surpassing MJ's legacy has passed. And for many he was never ever that close. Also my guess is the slim chance that Lebron has of doing it ...slips further after games like last night, regular season or not.

I dont think there is a player playing ball college or pro that has a chance to pass MJ. But those that throw out Kobe's goal or attempt to pass MJ ...that doesn't make sense. Why shouldnt a player of Kobe's caliber attempt to be the greatest? If he fails at least we went after the King.

ChrisRichards
01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
:lol @ Bucher. Dude just likes to stir up shit.
Dwight has publicly acknowledged his frustration under Van Gundy's system that he doesnt get enough touches down low and Kobe is convincing Howard to join him in LA by shooting 30x a game? :lol

Kobe obviously doesnt care about team success at this point. This is his way of telling Jim Buss that "Since you're already building for the future, I'm going to just break scoring records"

Tinystarz
01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
When no matter how much you try and try and you still fall 2nd at best. You will never stop trying to prove yourself. Even if that means faking injuries to prove how much of a solider you are. Or shooting most of the baskets only to have them fall as air balls and bricks. Kobe was a great player no one would argue that, but the best? ha no... best now? even less.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Dwight has publicly acknowledged his frustration under Van Gundy's system that he doesnt get enough touches down low and Kobe is convincing Howard to join him in LA by shooting 30x a game? :lol

Kobe obviously doesnt care about team success at this point. This is his way of telling Jim Buss that "Since you're already building for the future, I'm going to just break scoring records"

Like I said Bucher is not always on point, but he spouted his theory on sportscenter and says Kobe and Howard have been exchanging text messages.
Look i wont waste time defending him to you guys here. and obviously rose and Lebron are far more dominant on a regular basis than kobe. But after watching Lebron shrink last night ... you can't say that you dont have doubts about how great he really is. No question he is better athlete and has been more dominant on both ends than even Kobe was in his prime. but being 2nd best to MJ or even top 5 still is damn impressive.

ChrisRichards
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Like I said Bucher is not always on point, but he spouted his theory on sportscenter and says Kobe and Howard have been exchanging text messages.
Look i wont waste time defending him to you guys here. and obviously rose and Lebron are far more dominant on a regular basis than kobe. But after watching Lebron shrink last night ... you can't say that you dont have doubts about how great he really is. No question he is better athlete and has been more dominant on both ends than even Kobe was in his prime. but being 2nd best to MJ or even top 5 still is damn impressive.

No question, Kobe is amazing though.

TheMACHINE
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
you're not the best player in the world anymore, get over it. 40 points sounds impressive, but not if you take half of your teams shots every game.

i don't know whats more sad, desperate kobe taking 30 shots a game to prove us he's still the best (while everyone except lakerfans know he's not) or his wimpy coach not having the balls to tell him it's a team sport.

You're right...he isnt the best player anymore...but whats wrong with shooting the ball at 50% and trying to win? Gasol has had 4 double-double the past 4 games when kobe took about 30 shots. Kobe is also averaging 5.7 assists. The Lakers also won the past 4 games.

Dont really see what you are complaining about. I dont think the lakers will win it all...they are just too old and slow....but there's nothing wrong with what Kobe is doing.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
You all are looking at it from the wrong perspective--he's scoring 40+ because Vanessa gets half. So, in essence he's only scoring like 20-24 pts...

Well, there will always be the questionable shot selection like he had last night and there will always be the polarizing effect he has on fans/non-fans alike. But from a basketball fan's perspective, you can't knock the ability to still put up 40 pts while in the 3rd decade (age wise) in the league. He should be wiser in his career's twilight, but that ego and distrust is preventing that. Oh well, regardless of what's going on, it will be strange the day he calls it quits...at age 49.

21_Blessings
01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Kobe scoring 40 is such a non-story; he's only done that over a 100 times. Pretty hilarious watching the rest of the league and media getting all insecure about it.

mathbzh
01-12-2012, 01:35 PM

This

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Bucher (who has been all over the map with his insider info) claims he is trying to prove to Dwight that he still has game left and that a trade to the Lakers would be better than joining Dwll in NJ. Based on the play of both this season .. I would say Kobe HAS proven that point hands down.

As for the MJ stuff, as impressive as those 40 point games were ... no way is he catching MJ in 40 point games. He has a chance at catching him on the all-time scoring list but that is no sure thing either.

The reality is, no matter how many rings he gets or points he scores his chance at surpassing MJ's legacy has passed. And for many he was never ever that close. Also my guess is the slim chance that Lebron has of doing it ...slips further after games like last night, regular season or not.

I dont think there is a player playing ball college or pro that has a chance to pass MJ. But those that throw out Kobe's goal or attempt to pass MJ ...that doesn't make sense. Why shouldnt a player of Kobe's caliber attempt to be the greatest? If he fails at least we went after the King.

Pretty well said tbh. Fuck Kobe. But pretty well said.

TheMACHINE
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
its true...i doubt Kobe is trying to prove he is better then Lebron, Durant etc....he's going after Jordan. Dont see anything wrong with that. He's trying to get the ring to tie him up, and the stats to back him up...the rest of the debate will be a matter of opinion.

JamStone
01-12-2012, 02:06 PM

People will criticize Kobe no matter what, and often times it's warranted. The problem with the usual criticisms in the case of the last two games is that 1) Kobe shot efficiently, not the 30% FG he sometimes shoots when he's stat padding, 2) Pau and Bynum weren't exactly efficient themselves where they're like 5-for-5 and you wonder WTF they didn't get more shots, and 3) the Lakers won the two games.

The criticisms usually fit when those 3 things play a factor. But some critics will still find ways to criticize Kobe no matter what. In this case, they take the Jordan angle because the normal criticisms don't apply.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
People will criticize Kobe no matter what, and often times it's warranted. The problem with the usual criticisms in the case of the last two games is that 1) Kobe shot efficiently, not the 30% FG he sometimes shoots when he's stat padding, 2) Pau and Bynum weren't exactly efficient themselves where they're like 5-for-5 and you wonder WTF they didn't get more shots, and 3) the Lakers won the two games.

The criticisms usually fit when those 3 things play a factor. But some critics will still find ways to criticize Kobe no matter what. In this case, they take the Jordan angle because the normal criticisms don't apply.

This ...

endrity
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
I disagree with JamStone in that this is not smart. He'll wear himself out before March with this type of season. Even Rose, Wade, LeBron are taking days off and they are much younger than him. Dirk is pretty much doing his training camp right now.

After hitting a wall physically last year he should understand that it's better to forego some points and maybe wins during the season, but he is too stubborn for that.

Also, look at what's happened to Bynum. First week back guy looks like an All-Star starter to me, now he is back to 15 and 8.

JamStone
01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Kobe only has one gear. And Mike Brown doesn't have the juice to put Kobe in check.

And honestly, without Kobe, this Lakers team isn't all that great, especially with Pau's vagina in its full blown adult stages. I'm not convinced the Lakers are any good without Kobe playing 35 mpg and carrying the scoring load. Imagine a Fisher-Blake-Ebanks-Artest perimeter rotation. Gasp. Without Kobe the Lakers lose at least 3-4 more games at this point. What good is resting Jobe if it means 7-8 playoff seed?

Koolaid_Man
01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Kobe only has one gear. And Mike Brown doesn't have the juice to put Kobe in check.

And honestly, without Kobe, this Lakers team isn't all that great, especially with Pau's vagina in its full blown adult stages. I'm not convinced the Lakers are any good without Kobe playing 35 mpg and carrying the scoring load. Imagine a Fisher-Blake-Ebanks-Artest perimeter rotation. Gasp. Without Kobe the Lakers lose at least 3-4 more games at this point. What good is resting Jobe if it means 7-8 playoff seed?

preach on you have my blessing...but the minute your ass gets out of line you will be hearing from me...

proceed :lol

Spur_Fanatic
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Kobe is tryng to get a record or two. Then he'll stop caring about the Lakers, and in 3 years he'll move on to the Heat or the Knicks, to try to get more rings. Thus, in 3 years, Kool, Culby and luva will have new team tags. I say it now.

JamStone
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
preach on you have my blessing...but the minute your ass gets out of line you will be hearing from me...

proceed :lol

Please don't hit on me again. I'm not interested.

Koolaid_Man
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Please don't hit on me again. I'm not interested.

what? you turning me down Jammy...I like Jammy...what a lovely name...:lol

Hey Jammy say hello to my Jimmy :lol

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM

I agree. If they could lock a top 4 seed by say the last week he can always rest him the last few games ...

This team offensively is offensive. TO's plenty of 3 point bricks.

Bynum will be OK he just needs to learn how to counter the doubles he sees now ... the better than Dwight talk was crazy. Bynum is probably the best of the next group of centers but he is NOT better than Dwight. Dwight has had some crappy games too but he sets up his team-mates even though he is not a great passer he is just so much further along in his development than Drew is currently.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Also Pau is getting better but Milsap and aldridge have punked him recently. Im just glad his shooting touch is coming back, I say that is most important to this group of personnel. I also think Pau should play more with the 2nd unit ...instead of Bynum. Bynum needs more time on the court learning to play with Kobe.

lefty
01-12-2012, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Killakobe81;5571558 Bynum needs more time on the court learning to play with Kobe.[/QUOTE]
IMO, Kobe needs to pass the ball to Bynum more often

Spur_Fanatic
01-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah, is not like Bynum just joined the Lakers, guys.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, is not like Bynum just joined the Lakers, guys.

Yes but he has missed plenty of times and needs to earn the trust of his team-mates (not just Kobe) ...

Pau could help the bench because he is the better play-maker plus it would allow artest to get back in to the paint. no room with Bynum and andrew's man. Artest's crappy play started when Bynum came back ...

lefty
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Kobe has to pass the ball to Bynum more often

Seventyniner
01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Kobe's always trying to prove something, because it's all that keeps him going. Makes you wonder how he's going to channel his obsession when he retires. Rucker Park?

Spur_Fanatic
01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Kobe's always trying to prove something, because it's all that keeps him going. Makes you wonder how he's going to channel his obsession when he retires. Rucker Park?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0909/serial-rapist-rape-demotivational-poster-1253159459.jpg