PDA

View Full Version : How good are we seriously?

jermaine
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Seeing how we went to the wire with the last place team in the west(Houston 3-7), we got routed by the 1st place team in the west(thunder 10-2), but beat the mavs who's now showing promise, how do we really stand-up in the west?

cheguevara
01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
you pretty much said it. We are a mediocre, 50% team or a bit better. Borderline playoff, if we get lucky we'd get 6 or 7 seed. 1st round, if lucky 2nd round fodder.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I would say we're like the 6th best team in the West.

We do have a big game against Portland on Friday (at home thankfully) who have been playing really well this season.

I'm just really really concerned about the defense. Giving Kawhi more minutes has been great, but hopefully Splitter can continue to have his minutes increased and Duncan/Parker continue to step up to the plate.

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I would say we're like the 6th best team in the West.

We do have a big game against Portland on Friday (at home thankfully) who have been playing really well this season.

I'm just really really concerned about the defense. Giving Kawhi more minutes has been great, but hopefully Splitter can continue to have his minutes increased and Duncan/Parker continue to step up to the plate.

I'm way more concerend about the offense. Right now, this whole thing hinges on Parker being able to take over games. No one else is really getting involved. Parker had a good offensive game against an average Houston team with pretty bad defense. I really don't see where the offense is going to come from if they play a good defensive team or if Parker is missing his shots.

Buddy Holly
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
you pretty much said it. We are a mediocre, 50% team or a bit better. Borderline playoff, if we get lucky we'd get 6 or 7 seed. 1st round, if lucky 2nd round fodder.

Just stop posting.

Old School 44
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm way more concerend about the offense. Right now, this whole thing hinges on Parker being able to take over games. No one else is really getting involved. Parker had a good offensive game against an average Houston team with pretty bad defense. I really don't see where the offense is going to come from if they play a good defensive team or if Parker is missing his shots.

Unfortunately, it's win by the three, die by the three, that's where the offense comes from.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Well, the Spurs are #2 in the NBA in terms of offensive efficiency (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats) right now.

Also they're #3 in the league in overall PPG.

If you look at how they've shot the past couple games that Manu has missed here is the FG percentages:

46% vs. Hou
60% vs. MIL
42% vs. OKL
55% vs. DEN
40% vs. DAL
47% vs. GS

The offense has been fine, just the 3 point shooting has been crappy.

urunobili
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
let's revisit this issue mid March and i'll tell you... :wakeup

lefty
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
We suck

ffadicted
With ginobili back 100% I'd say we could make it to the WCF if all the stars align

peacemaker885
For as long as we can keep things together until Manu and TJ comes back, then we are good enough.

Leetonidas
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
With Manu healthy we're probably top 5 in the West, but definitely not 1-3. Without him we're playing for a 6-8 seed. Honestly I wouldn't mind if the Spurs just mailed it in this season, missed the playoffs, and got a decent lotto pick in a deep draft. We're not doing shit anyway. The West is stacked with above average/good teams but no real great/elite teams besides OKC.

But without Leonard turning into Bowen overnight and Duncan suddenly having the same defensive impact as he did in 2003, we're not doing shit for the foreseeable future.

dbestpro
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
We will either rise or fall based off of our defense. We have shown some promise at times with Leonard, Green, and Splitter, but Bonner and Blair remain the Achilles heel in this regard. If we could get rid of one of them for a more defensive minded big, then I think we could do some damage. It is our only hope of play as an elite team.

Blue-Lightning
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
With a healthy Manu, Spurs are a contender. Without, they're a borderline playoff team. That's my assessment. I mean, you have to remember that Manu kept the Spurs competitive with the Grizzlies using a freshly broken arm. Having him healthy at the end is by far the most important thing.

Rummpd
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
As a sense of history in the last strike shortened season the Spurs started 6-8 then went 31 and 5. This team is not that good to go on that kind of run [and the schedule is tougher];but if Duncan can get back to the level of the last two games more, and Parker can return to a high level the Spurs should make the playoffs somewhere in the 4-6th position. They who really knows going forward? If this team does gell and has a healthy Manu there are only a few teams (Lakers have to be at least the co-favorities with Bynum and the way Bryant is playing along with the Thunder) that are definetively stonger. Also, don't rule out a mid season pickup.

Budkin
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Average at best without Manu.

xmas1997
01-12-2012, 10:42 AM
We got to get Thomas acclimated as soon as possible. Him and Leonard know how to play defense together and would be a whole lot better than what we have now. And yet without Manu we would still be borderline.

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, the Spurs are #2 in the NBA in terms of offensive efficiency (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats) right now.

Also they're #3 in the league in overall PPG.

If you look at how they've shot the past couple games that Manu has missed here is the FG percentages:

46% vs. Hou
60% vs. MIL
42% vs. OKL
55% vs. DEN
40% vs. DAL
47% vs. GS

The offense has been fine, just the 3 point shooting has been crappy.

I guess the stats don't lie. But that's not a particularly tough (defensively) group of teams.

jermaine
01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I hate to sound dumb but I loved the lineup with
Parker
Leonard
Jefferson
Splintter
Duncan
But when Ginobili gets back, let him run the point an bench Parker. Splintter runs that p&r like no other. An the way timmyhas been shooting that midrange is just what we need. Leonard being a great slasher, an Jefferson being that spot up that we need. I've played with that lineup on 2k 12 an man its nice. Rebounding is nice.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess the stats don't lie. But that's not a particularly tough (defensively) group of teams.

That I agree with.

Texas_Ranger
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
With Manu top 3, without Manu 6-10.

SenorSpur
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
As bad as the Spurs are defensively, opponents are going to always be able to get what they want - especially on the inside. The last 2 playoff series (Grizzlies '11 and Suns '10) bear this out.

As such, I would say the Spurs are a mediocre team. One that will likely be a fringe playoff team. They're not quite good enough to challenge to top-tier teams, but not quite bad enough to miss the playoffs entirely. If they do miss the playoffs, they're not likely to be bad enough to get into the top tier of the NBA Draft Lottery.

It's not a good situation to be in.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
another first round exit

acoelho1
01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Our defense has been horrid on the road and better at home. We need to improve that area or we are just a middle of the pack team, which may lead to a 6th or 7th seed at best. However, there are 4 areas that will determine our level of success.

1. The return of Ginobli and Ford and play to the level b4 their injury.
2. Young guys continue to improve (Splitter, Green & Leonard - I gave up on Anderson)
3. Team Defense improvement (Can't continue to allow teams to score at will - especially on the road)
4. Pop (the 3 young guys I mentioned above need to be given the time on the court since they are our best defensive players) - at least 25min per game for each!

If all that happens then we could be dangerous team when the playoff arrives.

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Uh, some people in this thread are forgetting that the Spurs are missing their best player and clutch time performer..

The West is completely wide open..if Manu comes back healthy, Leonard continues to improve and Splitter starts receiving 20-25+ minutes on a regular basis, the Spurs are as good as any team in the weak West..

If it was an 82 game season, I wouldn't give the Spurs a realistic chance, but considering it's a tricky season, and considering there are no elite teams in the conference, they have a realistic chance, despite the glaring issues..

This conference doesn't have a 2008-2010 Lakers, 2005-2007 Spurs, etc..it's the weakest West since 1998..

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 12:32 PM
dunno how good are we,

but with gino and ford back into the rotation, our offense is more smoother....

splitter and KL are the only ones who actually are forced to play defense, while everyone is sleep walking on defense...

George Gervin's Afro
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Seeing how we went to the wire with the last place team in the west(Houston 3-7), we got routed by the 1st place team in the west(thunder 10-2), but beat the mavs who's now showing promise, how do we really stand-up in the west?

we're not good.

xmas1997
01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Best scenario barring getting top seed in the lottery would be to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed with the worst won/loss record of all the playoff contenders and with Manu and TJ back at full force, provided no one else gets injured of course. That way we still get a high draft pick plus be very very dangerous though out the playoffs.

SenorSpur
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Ginobili's return will not fix what everyone knows is the achilles heel with this team - defense - or the lack thereof. The sheer inability to defend the post, protect the rim, and get key stops when necessary.

On the offensive end, this team have evolved into one that is too reliant on 3-pt shooting. This a situation that doesn't bode well when the playoffs start, when defenses adjust and a team's strengths are taken away. With Duncan's decline, this team can no longer manufacture as many points in the paint, and the "and-1" situations.

Anyone who doesn't understand that, has not been watching the past two playoff series.

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree with all of that, however, the rest of the teams in the West are severely flawed, as well..

Only OKC and maybe Portland don't have glaring flaws, although you could consider Westbrook as a flaw, and Portland does not have a go-to guy in clutch time..

Horse
01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Let's not forget the effects of no training camp and the compacted scheduele. I mean really who the hell knows right now, especially with Manu out. This team almost always finishes stronger than we start so let's relax and wait and see.

timvp
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Right now, without Ginobili or a reliable defense, the Spurs are a .500 team at best. Any win at all is a good win at this point.

Man In Black
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Addition by subtraction.

Can Bean put up 40 every night? Are the Clips really that good? The Mavs look a step slow. Portland and Denver are doing it with balance. So the Spurs are in the mix.

There really isn't a dominant team out there. When the Spurs are relatively healthy, I feel that they can compete for a top 4 spot. Defensively, this ain't like the Dynasty days. But Offensively, it's almost Doug Moe like.

phxspurfan
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
We're average. We lack the personnel (read: big men) to be a great defensive team. That's what it takes to be elite.

Killakobe81
01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Uh, some people in this thread are forgetting that the Spurs are missing their best player and clutch time performer..

The West is completely wide open..if Manu comes back healthy, Leonard continues to improve and Splitter starts receiving 20-25+ minutes on a regular basis, the Spurs are as good as any team in the weak West..

If it was an 82 game season, I wouldn't give the Spurs a realistic chance, but considering it's a tricky season, and considering there are no elite teams in the conference, they have a realistic chance, despite the glaring issues..

This conference doesn't have a 2008-2010 Lakers, 2005-2007 Spurs, etc..it's the weakest West since 1998..

agree with all of this West is open... OKC is the favorite but they will miss Maynor ...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I think OKC is overrated, they're athletic, but I feel like they're too green to go to the finals this year.

When Scott Brooks can only draw up 40 foot jumpers for Durant in crunch time, I just don't have a lot of faith.

Spur|n|Austin
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
I hate to sound dumb but I loved the lineup with
Parker
Leonard
Jefferson
Splintter
Duncan
But when Ginobili gets back, let him run the point an bench Parker. Splintter runs that p&r like no other. An the way timmyhas been shooting that midrange is just what we need. Leonard being a great slasher, an Jefferson being that spot up that we need. I've played with that lineup on 2k 12 an man its nice. Rebounding is nice.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/splinter.gif

LongtimeSpursFan
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
This is one of the most talented teams I have seen in many years. The only recent team that comes to mind is the 2003 Championship team. We are two deep in every position. We are stacked at the 1 and 2 position. The 3 position has been further solidified with Leonards development. Duncan, Blair and Splitter could be one of the best three man big rotation in the NBA, and dont forget about Bonner who has great range and smarts. If we can get one more solid big then we should be favored to come out of the West.

TD 21
01-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Exactly.

Killakobe81, good call with the Maynor injury. That's a bigger loss than many probably realize. They no longer have a true point guard or a safety net for the games in which Westbrook's erratic play is killing them.

Because of the nature of the schedule more than anything, I'd still consider them the favorites too. But they're not the Heat or Bulls; they're vulnerable. A healthy Spurs team, with none of the big three completely wiped out, could absolutely beat them in a series and they're not the only ones.

How good are the Spurs? The truth is, nobody really knows. Because by the time the playoffs start, it'll have been 5 years since Ginobili was fully healthy in the playoffs. And if he is healthy this time, that Ginobili changes everything.

TE
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Damn, some people in this thread have really lowered expectations for this team.

jmanu20
01-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd say 6-8 seed right now, on the higher end if Leonard continues to develop nicely, Parker returns as close to his All Star form as he can, and RJ doesn't dramatically drop off like last season.

As for the rest of the West, OKC does seem to be the stand out to me (if Westbrook ever learns to just pass the ball to KD in crunch time, that is). I was at that game and even on the end of a back-to-back their energy was outstanding. Harden is their X-factor, the Spurs had NO answer for him.

People are suddenly rating the Lakers higher because of two 40 point games from Kobe. I don't think they're much better than the Spurs, losing Odom was big, and their free agent signings weren't exactly marquee guys. Bynum's having a fine season so far but we'll see if his knee holds up. Outside of Kobe, Bynum, and Pau, there isn't much help.

I agree with Denver and Portland using balance to early success, we'll see if Portland doesn't get another freak injury.

"Lob City" finally broke through with a good win vs. the Heat last night, but the verdict's still out on that team.

Grizz aren't a factor without Z-Bo.

As for the Mavs, they're starting to come around, and I would not have expected Delonte West to be performing the best out of their three big signings, but that's the case. Vince Carter and Lamar Odom have been disappointments as Mavs so far!

Proxy
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
This team isn't as good as the past championship teams on defense obviously, but it has it's spurts.

If they can get through this Manu/TJ-less stretch with their head above water, there's no reason to think that they can't contend and get to the WCF against OKC and see what happens from there.

...not sure if this is an optimistic or a pessimistic sign, but when was the last time we had a healthy big 3 for an entire playoff run? A 100% healthy 2012 SA Spurs team is good.

jesterbobman
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
All depends on defensive improvement. We're a really good/elite offensive team, and we have pretty good perimeter depth. But bigs are lacking, and we can't protect the rim.

Defensive improvement can come through either a trade, or Using the MMLE on trade deadline salary dumps. We just lack the personal inside to be good.