PDA

View Full Version : The horror of exploring the stats between Bonner and Blair over the past 5 games...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Blair's stats over the past 5 games:

Rebounds: 5.2

Bonner's stats over the past 5 games:

Rebounds: 3.2

I know 5 games isn't a huge sample size, but exploring Blair's declining rebounding rate, coupled with Bonner being one of the worst rebounders in the NBA to begin the season, I think it's sad how similar Blair's stats are to Bonner lately, while also averaging 7 minutes more per game.

Blair should not be starting for the Spurs. Does this mean Bonner should? Hell no, but Blair is a glorified Malik Rose without a jumpshot. He's an energy guy that should be coming off the bench. If Blair can't handle coming off the bench then the Spurs should trade him immediately along with JA, to see if they can find a big who can play defense.

I know it's still early, but it's becoming harder and harder to justify having Blair in the starting lineup. Has he made some steps offensively this year? Sure, he's getting his shot off better than ever, and has improved his footwork and playing in the post.

But is it enough to justify starting alongside Duncan? I know the Blair/Bonner combo is a dangerous one, but while Tiago finishes games lately, perhaps he should be starting them as well.

Thoughts?

FromWayDowntown
01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
If the basic stats for Blair are that bad, why on Earth would anyone give up a serviceable, defensive-minded big man to acquire him -- no matter who else might be thrown into a potential deal.

Frankly, it would shock me if the Spurs haven't been trying to do the sort of deal that you propose and if they haven't been trying to put Blair into such a deal. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that teams are essentially laughing their asses off when they hang up the phone.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
If the basic stats for Blair are that bad, why on Earth would anyone give up a serviceable, defensive-minded big man to acquire him -- no matter who else might be thrown into a potential deal.

Frankly, it would shock me if the Spurs haven't been trying to do the sort of deal that you propose and if they haven't been trying to put Blair into such a deal. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that teams are essentially laughing their asses off when they hang up the phone.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team bite on Blair.

I'm not saying we'd get a DeAndre Jordan type player for him, but am hoping for someone with length and shot blocking.

Anyways, maybe Blair has a minor injury, and his rebounding will pick up, but it's pretty alarming so far.

Mugen
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
It's not surprising that Blair's recent offensive decline corresponds with Manu being out. DeJuan does his best work off the PnR with Manu. Him and Tony just don't have the same chemistry.

But there is no reason for his rebounding decline. If he's not rebounding effectively, then Blair is pretty much Bonner without the range. Not good.

However, i still think he should start. Bringing him off the bench means more mins for the Blair/Bonner combo which should NEVER ever be an option. EVER!

Ford's injury means the 2nd unit does not have a viable playmaker that can set up those around him. at least Tiago brings defense/rebounding to the 2nd unit and about the same upside offensively as DeJuan.

Mugen
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team bite on Blair.

I'm not saying we'd get a DeAndre Jordan type player for him, but am hoping for someone with length and shot blocking.

Anyways, maybe Blair has a minor injury, and his rebounding will pick up, but it's pretty alarming so far.

id love a Blair for Udoh swap with Golden State. Limited offensively but he brings the length and shot blocking you're asking for.

I don't think anybody is trading for JA right now. He's looked absolutely horrible. You're probably going to have to package Gary Neal along with Blair to get any type of effective big in return. Won't happen anytime soon with the injuries but MAYBE around the tread deadline. Still highly unlikely though.

FromWayDowntown
01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
But there is no reason for his rebounding decline. If he's not rebounding effectively, then Blair is pretty much Bonner without the range. Not good.

This has long been an issue with DeJuan and it's truly a baffling thing to me. Plenty of smaller guys have been consistently productive rebounders in this league; there's an element of evident desire that is common in all of those guys, to go along with whatever skills and talents they bring to the game.

What's even more maddening about DeJuan is that he'll have another run of games in which he'll come close to 20/20 and appear unstoppable, only to follow them up with a slew of 5/5, 8/4, 1/6 kind of games.

It may have been more than his knees that caused him to fall to the 2nd round in 2009.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Why did he get cut from that Russian team over the summer? Was very surprised when that happened.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
the problem is him trying to create for himself, his better off someone feeding him the PNR....but apparently gino/ford are injured...so its hard for him

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
the problem is him trying to create for himself, his better off someone feeding him the PNR....but apparently gino/ford are injured...so its hard for him

This. He's much more effective when he's paired with Manu. Going back to last year. Manu got the ball to him in space where he had room to use his quickness. Parker only gets him the ball when he (Parker) drives to the goal and can't get his shot up. So it's usually a hand off or dump pass to Blair standing right under the goal where he's defendable.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
parker is shit with the PNR, his only good and driving into the lane and drawing the defense to lob it out or either throw up a hail mary hoping the ref bails him out...

we got so many guys on the team who plays off others, this is where we need a pass first mentality pg...

it also helps if the pgs on the team do not hold the ball to long or over dribble...

matt bonner is useless then a pylon....his just not another guy who can provide 6 fouls, his 6 fouls leads to others bailing his ass out on defense and gettin called for it...like what happen to splitter today against the rockets every time he had to bail out blair, bonner or whoever gets beatened by the offensive player....

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Not to mention that Blair's defense is even worse than Bonner's..

Both guys are better suited to play 10-15 minutes a game..

If the Spurs want to improve, they'll obviously have to play Splitter around 25 per..

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Not to mention that Blair's defense is even worse than Bonner's..

Both guys are better suited to play 10-15 minutes a game..

If the Spurs want to improve, they'll obviously have to play Splitter around 25 per..

I don't know. At least Blair will get the occasional steal or strip now and then. And isn't as likely to get backed down.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
if you watch the games where blair totally dominates, thats when his playin very physical down low where the defender is shit scared of him....apparently he only plays like this once a month if ur lucky

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 01:04 PM
if you watch the games where blair totally dominates, thats when his playin very physical down low where the defender is shit scared of him....apparently he only plays like this once a month if ur lucky

I think he's confirming that he's a situational player that can give the Spurs a change of pace here or there. Not unimportant but not a starter.

And I wouldn't have a problem with Bonner if they could bring him in for situations where they needed some big 3's. Like the playoffs. Unfortunately, he's not show he can make the shots when it really counts.

boutons_deux
01-12-2012, 01:12 PM
How many times has DJB got the ball several feet from the basket and instead of one dribble, he takes off and jumps too damn soon so he's flying past the basket, even coming down, instead of up and towards it, blowing the gimme bucket?

Mugen
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't know. At least Blair will get the occasional steal or strip now and then. And isn't as likely to get backed down.

For every occasional steal/strip he gets, theres about 20 more instances where he either picks up a stupid foul or his man burns him for a layup.

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
For every occasional steal/strip he gets, theres about 20 more instances where he either picks up a stupid foul or his man burns him for a layup.

I know. But I was making the case why I like his "d" better than Bonner's. Bonner can't even get close enough to his man to even foul him.

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
the problem is him trying to create for himself, his better off someone feeding him the PNR....but apparently gino/ford are injured...so its hard for himThat's odd? You mean that having one of so-called "top point guards"lol can't setup blair.

weebo
01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Any problems we have on this team start with Tony Parker. I'm sorry but this is what happens when you have a shoot first point guard. Put a true point in place of Parker and watch everyone else's production go up.

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Any problems we have on this team start with Tony Parker. I'm sorry but this is what happens when you have a shoot first point guard. Put a true point in place of Parker and watch everyone else's production go up.
Your a parker hater because you said something bad about parker, who cares if its true. lol.

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
To be a solid point guard in this league, you need to have a few things. handles/a jumpshot and to be a willing passer. Thats why, someone like (yeah, ill say it) Calderon can do his job not having major individual talent. He can handle/shoot/pass.

Parker is much more individually talented but can only handle. His jumpshot is on and off, and he isn't a willing or good passer no matter how many assist he gets.

DMC
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
When Blair was benched last year, that's when we lost the title.

We were on a 70 WIN FUCKING PACE until then. 70 FUCKING WINS!

Chew on that.

Proxy
01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Doesn't matter who starts.

ginobilized
01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
This seems like such a missed opportunity

for a Scola thread

spectator
01-12-2012, 10:53 PM
id love a Blair for Udoh swap with Golden State. Limited offensively but he brings the length and shot blocking you're asking for.

I don't think anybody is trading for JA right now. He's looked absolutely horrible. You're probably going to have to package Gary Neal along with Blair to get any type of effective big in return. Won't happen anytime soon with the injuries but MAYBE around the tread deadline. Still highly unlikely though.

u think chicago might bite on blair + ja + 1st rounder for gibson + 2nd rounder?

u have to spend quite a few to get chicago to break that cohesion. i think that the deal is advantageous for both teams. gibson is a legit 6'9 who can help guarding PFs like love, aldridge, dirk. gibson is probably not strong enough for guarding gasol or randolph, but neither is blair.

ElNono
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Bonner's stats over the past 5 games:

Rebounds: 3.2

Thoughts?

What do you find surprising about that?
These are his career regular season numbers:

Rebounds: 3.5

He's definitely in regular season mode... his career playoffs numbers are:

Rebounds: 2.3

SequSpur
01-12-2012, 11:35 PM
this is a stupid comparison and dumb topic.

the spurs have no other options for starters because mcdice is gone....wtf? do you guys even watch the fuckin Spurs or what?

SequSpur
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
plus it's exploration

therealtruth
01-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Most shoot first point guards eventually start playing shooting guard. Blair is excellent as an off the bench energy player. Bonner's slow release makes him useless in the playoffs. You're not getting wide open 3's in the playoffs. And if the defender can force you off the line and you can't make them pay there's no point.

ElNono
01-13-2012, 04:11 AM
As far as Blair, he's simply not tall enough

will_spurs
01-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Let's compare player #1 and player #2.

Stats per game, 2011-2012 season after 11 games:
size: 6-11 vs 6-10
minutes: 20 vs 17.5
FG%: 71.4% vs 39.2%
rbds: 5 vs 2.8
steals: 0.5 vs 0.1
blocks: 0.5 vs 0.2
TO: 1.2 vs 0.2
fouls: 3.5 vs 0.7

Not sure about money but I'd say player #1 makes about 25% of player #2's salary.

Which one would you rather have on the Spurs roster?

mathbzh
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Let's compare player #1 and player #2.

Stats per game, 2011-2012 season after 11 games:
size: 6-11 vs 6-10
minutes: 20 vs 17.5
FG%: 71.4% vs 39.2%
rbds: 5 vs 2.8
steals: 0.5 vs 0.1
blocks: 0.5 vs 0.2
TO: 1.2 vs 0.2
fouls: 3.5 vs 0.7

Not sure about money but I'd say player #1 makes about 25% of player #2's salary.

Which one would you rather have on the Spurs roster?

I might know who is player 1 :rolleyes

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
What do you find surprising about that?
These are his career regular season numbers:

Rebounds: 3.5

He's definitely in regular season mode... his career playoffs numbers are:

Rebounds: 2.3

My issue isn't really with Bonner's stats themselves, he's expected to have poor stats since he's a poor player. My issue is how similar Bonner's numbers are to Blair's while averaging less minutes. Considering that Blair is a starter and what our expectations were for him, this is quite a bummer.

And Sequ, if the Spurs have no other options then maybe they should start looking for some sooner than later. Not saying that they aren't, but they need to find a way to get a 5th big some playing time since the stats our current bigs are putting up besides Duncan/Splitter won't be too hard to match.