PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi as PF?

Interrohater
01-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know why nobody is talking about this today. Was I mistaken watching my internet feed? I swear I saw the overtime lineup of Tony, Green, Jefferson, Kawhi and Timmy out there. Was this not the case? I thought that he held his own and was a beast on the boards while he was out there.

Timmy was obviously playing center, RJ as the SF. That can only mean one thing. No Boner at PF or C. Two defensive-minded shotblockers and rebounders manning the paint. Not a single mention of this?!

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know why nobody is talking about this today. Was I mistaken watching my internet feed? I swear I saw the overtime lineup of Tony, Green, Jefferson, Kawhi and Timmy out there. Was this not the case? I thought that he held his own and was a beast on the boards while he was out there.

Timmy was obviously playing center, RJ as the SF. That can only mean one thing. No Boner at PF or C. Two defensive-minded shotblockers and rebounders manning the paint. Not a single mention of this?!
Yeah, he can hold his own on the Boards. I am not against him playing PF, just not to much.

Interrohater
01-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I still prefer this to our previous situation. I love Blair's tenacity, but Kawhi can jump and has vacuums for hands. Bonner can shoot, at times, but has no individual defense to speak of.

Kawhi is way too short for PF, but in our lineup, he's the best option, imho.

xmas1997
01-12-2012, 06:06 PM
How tall is he?????????????????????

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
6-7

Sense
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I didn't watch the game, but I'm pretty sure RJ is always the PF when it's small ball.

xmas1997
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
No wonder Thomas was the PF and Leonard the SF, Thomas was taller. They formed one hell of a defensive tandem at San Diego. Hope they do it again. It would make one hell of a story.

timvp
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM

You must have had a tricky internet feed :)

In overtime, the lineup was:

PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C Splitter

For the last 23 seconds, the Rockets put in Parson for Dalembert ... so Pop put in Green for Splitter.

Perhaps you are talking about the last five minutes of regulation. The Rockets played:

PG Lowry
SG Dragic
SF Martin
PF Parsons
C Scola

To match that midget lineup, Pop went small and had Green guard Lowry, Parker guard Dragic, Leonard guard Martin, Jefferson guard Parsons and Duncan guard Scola.

I wouldn't really say that was Pop playing Leonard at power forward because it was more a matter of just matching down. At that point, you could make a case for Leonard technically being the 2, 3 or 4.

Baseline
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
If Kawhi can be a Udonis Haslem type for the Spurs, then that's great. Udonis is listed at 6'8", but he's not even as tall as LeBron.

Kawhi is more athletic and mobile, and can also block shots, so eventually he'll be a smaller version of Robert Horry (on defense).

I'm sure that's what Pop was dreaming about.

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
If Kawhi can be a Udonis Haslem type for the Spurs, then that's great. Udonis is listed at 6'8", but he's not even as tall as LeBron.

Kawhi is more athletic and mobile, and can also block shots, so eventually he'll be a smaller version of Robert Horry (on defense).

Yeah right, Pop is probably mad cause he cant shoot 3's like someone else on the Spurs team. I wont give anything away but his name is batt monner. 33333333333'sssssssssssss thats all pop cares about these days. Look at RJ, dude was scoring 20 by slashing and getting to line and dunking on people in transition. Look at him now.

angelbelow
01-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Nah.. don't like him at 4. I like him at the 2 more so than the 4.

Solid D
01-12-2012, 07:38 PM

In overtime, the lineup was:

PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C Splitter

For the last 23 seconds, the Rockets put in Parson for Dalembert ... so Pop put in Green for Splitter.

Perhaps you are talking about the last five minutes of regulation. The Rockets played:

PG Lowry
SG Dragic
SF Martin
PF Parsons
C Scola

To match that midget lineup, Pop went small and had Green guard Lowry, Parker guard Dragic, Leonard guard Martin, Jefferson guard Parsons and Duncan guard Scola.

I wouldn't really say that was Pop playing Leonard at power forward because it was more a matter of just matching down. At that point, you could make a case for Leonard technically being the 2, 3 or 4.

This...except that technically, from what I saw, Leonard never played the 4 offensively either. RJ frequently plays the 4. He's sort of used to it by now.

jjktkk
01-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah right, Pop is probably mad cause he cant shoot 3's like someone else on the Spurs team. I wont give anything away but his name is batt monner. 33333333333'sssssssssssss thats all pop cares about these days. Look at RJ, dude was scoring 20 by slashing and getting to line and dunking on people in transition. Look at him now.

Make sense much?

rastaspur
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Did you watch that bucks team that rj put up big numbers that year. They had several big injuries and sucked something awful. They iso'd rj alot. He got to the line alot but it was ugly basketball. It was reminiscent of Dominique Wilkins putting up big numbers for the spurs the year d rob got hurt. Meaningless points on a shitty team. Being the best option on an injury depleted team which is horrible and in which he might have been more aggressive doesn't equate to pop not using him to his best present talents. I think pop realized he isn't an effective slasher as u claim him to be ( or at a minimum, a very innefective/ineficient one). He can finish when he is spoonfed, but he can't create his own shot ( unless it is to the detriment of the team's effectiveness).

Helping a player who's athletic abilities are declining fine tune a skill which doesn't hinge on athletic ability is not a bad thing. Unless u use bonner as an example because without being able to hit a three then no one outside of the south eastern conference would know who the eff he is.... But bonner is a helluva guy like pelican fly so pop has a crush on him like he is nicki monage ( spelling?)

scottspurs
01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
He was guarding Martin so he was playing on the wings defensively. I believe that is what he was in there for along with his rebounding.

portnoy1
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Did you watch that bucks team that rj put up big numbers that year. They had several big injuries and sucked something awful. They iso'd rj alot. He got to the line alot but it was ugly basketball. It was reminiscent of Dominique Wilkins putting up big numbers for the spurs the year d rob got hurt. Meaningless points on a shitty team. Being the best option on an injury depleted team which is horrible and in which he might have been more aggressive doesn't equate to pop not using him to his best present talents. I think pop realized he isn't an effective slasher as u claim him to be ( or at a minimum, a very innefective/ineficient one). He can finish when he is spoonfed, but he can't create his own shot ( unless it is to the detriment of the team's effectiveness).

Helping a player who's athletic abilities are declining fine tune a skill which doesn't hinge on athletic ability is not a bad thing. Unless u use bonner as an example because without being able to hit a three then no one outside of the south eastern conference would know who the eff he is.... But bonner is a helluva guy like pelican fly so pop has a crush on him like he is nicki monage ( spelling?)
I think its Minaj

analyzed
01-12-2012, 11:14 PM
For short stretches to end the game depending on match-ups playing Kawhi at PF or playing without a natural PF beside TD makes sense, Let's face it outside of TD and Splitter Kawhi is the best rebounder and defender (including interior) that we have. More than anything it shows how poor both Blair and Bonner are on defense and rebouding. So yeah out of necessity you've got to use Kawhi at 4 at times

SequSpur
01-12-2012, 11:42 PM
No! Leonard is a bean pole!

K-State Spur
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Defensively, pretty good comp.

Offensively, Haslem's never been much more than the open 15 footer and occasional put-back (essentially the same as old McDyess). Leonard should be able to do that with a lot more slashing to his game.

Interrohater
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Perhaps you are talking about the last five minutes of regulation.

Yes, this must be what I saw. Either way, I think if you have a guy that is playing low, grabbing offensive boards and providing help defense in the paint, he's playing PF. I can't convince myself, no matter how hard I try, that RJ was the PF over Kawhi. Semantics, I guess, but the fact remains that he was out there by Timmy grabbing boards like a G.

urunobili
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM

I remember timvp saying on a game thread that he liked the Lineup:

Splitter
Kawhi
RJ or Anderson can;t remember
Green or Neal not so sure
Ford

Can't remember what game it was though... :P

smrattler
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I like Kowhide at the 2 and 3, that's about it.

Small ball lineup... if RJ is there, I'd rather he take the 4, Leonard is more athletic on the perimeter.

dbestpro
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
He can play SG/SF/ and PF. Therefore, I think his new nickname should be................
/"Slash".