PDA

View Full Version : Our big man troubles are over! Rasheed Wallace mulling a comeback :D

lmbebo
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_rasheed_wallace_nba_return_011212

Rasheed Wallace mulling over NBA return

Wonder if he's broke?

DAF86
01-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Low risk, high reward.

stephen jackson
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
old sheed> healthy bonner

Mel_13
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Remember how Dice looked at the end of last season? Sheed's been gone a year longer and he was fat back in June, 2010.

spectator
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
he'll need the full season to play himself into shape - exactly what he did in boston his last year - i doubt he'd be ready to play defense out of the gate

jjktkk
01-12-2012, 11:35 PM
he'll need the full season to play himself into shape - exactly what he did in boston his last year - i doubt he'd be ready to play defense out of the gate

By saying "out of the gate", that was Wallace's whole career. He can defend if hes willing, but that was usually not on his agenda or to do list.

jeebus
01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
-yXiWZyJL90

SequSpur
01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
hell yeah! Guaransheed!

slick'81
01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
no way he becomes a spur

dbestpro
01-13-2012, 12:04 AM
He's still under contract with Boston if he comes back this year.

dbestpro
01-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM

He's a free agent.

Sean Cagney
01-13-2012, 01:07 AM

A f in bum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Healthy BONNER.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-13-2012, 01:12 AM

I actually was going to post this same exact thing....

angelbelow
01-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Hmm interesting.. really depends on if hes done or not. If he can make the impact that PJ Brown made in 2008 than I would love to have him.

SenorSpur
01-13-2012, 02:23 AM
If the Spurs can get Wallace and convince Dice to resign, they'll be all set.

GSH
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
If the Spurs can get Wallace and convince Dice to resign, they'll be all set.

If they both had the desire to do what it takes to get into game shape at their ages? It would be one hell of a boost for this particular Spurs' team. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of both of them signing, plus both of them being in shape to handle this compressed season. But if you're going to daydream, that's a pretty good one, because it's two guys we could actually afford who could also make a big difference. We could actually afford to send Bonner's lame ass to the D-League, so it would be an upgrade on top of an upgrade.

People who say Rasheed was washed up probably didn't watch him play with Boston - or they expect everyone to be Dwight Howard. In the playoffs, his per/36 numbers were 13 pts, 6.1 rb, 1.2 blk, and he shot .350 from 3P. (Bonner shot .333 from 3P in the playoffs last year.) And that was in 24 playoff games, against playoff competition, after playing 79 games in the regular season. I'd take that Rasheed for 18-20 minutes per game, in a heartbeat. Throw in the McDyess that finished last season, and we would have enough interior defense and rebounding to actually advance in the playoffs.

Signing one wouldn't make enough difference, and they would both have to be able to get back into game shape. Like I said, I don't think all of that could happen. But every now and then it's more fun to take the red pill than the blue one.

bus driver
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
ill call RC and tell him to stick with his guns.

if the bus crashes then we can blame the booze.

xmas1997
01-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Wallace would be a nice addition. He and TD were competitors in college. To have them on the same team would be awesome.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Wallace will never join the Spurs if Bonner is on the roster. I can promise you that.

Dex
01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Wallace looked washed up in his last stint with Boston. That being said, I'd be willing to sign a box of Fruity Pebbles if it meant less playing time for Bonner.

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
IMO, there's now way he's worth a damn. On the miniscule chance that he is worth a damn, then he's unobtainable.

Boston would be his obvious first choice. Boston's frontcourt situation is pretty bad. They're starting the corpse of Jermaine O'Neal and their 4th big is some guy named Greg Stiemsma. If he wants back in the NBA and he has anything left, then Boston will take a shot at bringing him in. If he wants back in and Boston doesn't want him, then you know he nothing left.

GSH
01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Wallace looked washed up in his last stint with Boston. That being said, I'd be willing to sign a box of Fruity Pebbles if it meant less playing time for Bonner.

I'm sorry... I think we already signed Fruity Pebbles. (Lousy thing to say, and I just couldn't help myself.)

SenorSpur
01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
If they both had the desire to do what it takes to get into game shape at their ages? It would be one hell of a boost for this particular Spurs' team. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of both of them signing, plus both of them being in shape to handle this compressed season. But if you're going to daydream, that's a pretty good one, because it's two guys we could actually afford who could also make a big difference. We could actually afford to send Bonner's lame ass to the D-League, so it would be an upgrade on top of an upgrade.

People who say Rasheed was washed up probably didn't watch him play with Boston - or they expect everyone to be Dwight Howard. In the playoffs, his per/36 numbers were 13 pts, 6.1 rb, 1.2 blk, and he shot .350 from 3P. (Bonner shot .333 from 3P in the playoffs last year.) And that was in 24 playoff games, against playoff competition, after playing 79 games in the regular season. I'd take that Rasheed for 18-20 minutes per game, in a heartbeat. Throw in the McDyess that finished last season, and we would have enough interior defense and rebounding to actually advance in the playoffs.

Signing one wouldn't make enough difference, and they would both have to be able to get back into game shape. Like I said, I don't think all of that could happen. But every now and then it's more fun to take the red pill than the blue one.

I was actually kidding about Dice and Sheed. If you were getting the 2006 Dice and the 2006 Sheed, yes. However, those guys are long gone.

Anyone who watched Sheed play his last year in Boston should know that he was done and had clearly "mailed it in". He further compounded his issues by reporting to camp out of shape, and never truly got into shape the entire year, which meant he had already mentally checked out. This was a guy who, on many possessions, camped out at the 3-pt line on offense and sometimes hardly ever bothered to cross half-court. Plus/minus numbers aside, he was flat awful the entire year. As a matter of fact, Sheed was done about 2 years before he unofficially walked away.

As for Dice, we all know he was, not only a superb player, but a consummate professional, as well. We all know what he was throughout his career. However, was also saw what he was left with after injuries and age robbed him of his athleticism. He probably played one year too long himself. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that too. In fact, he was flirting with retirement after the Suns swept the Spurs out of the playoffs two years agao. In fact, he had be persuaded to come back for the 2010-11 season. Still, that didn't stop the Spurs and others from trying to persuade and coax him back for another run this season.

Having productive veterans on a team is never a bad thing. However, the notion of trying to patch your roster with older, past-their-prime veterans, who have clearly exceeded their shelf life is an overly-sentimental idea and short-sighted approach. It's also one that is counterproductive. Older players cannot play every night, they're injury-prone and they become progress-stoppers. Why would any team give a roster spot to semi-retired vets like Michael Finley and Jerry Stackhouse over a young promising, and possibly cheaper, player who plays the same position? It just makes no sense.

There is an old saying that anytime an athlete is pondering retirement, he or she already has retired. Let it go people. At some point, it's over for all athletes.

Leetonidas
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
He would probably be like 2007 Horry, not as great but still decent. He would definitely be better than Bonner. But he said something along the lines of him not wanting to play here due to some personnel decisions the club has made. Obviously he realizes we're a gimmick giving Bonner minutes and he doesn't wanna whoop that honky's ass.

GSH
01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Having productive veterans on a team is never a bad thing. However, the notion of trying to patch your roster with older, past-their-prime veterans, who have clearly exceeded their shelf life is an overly-sentimental idea and short-sighted approach. It's also one that is counterproductive. Older players cannot play every night, they're injury-prone and they become progress-stoppers. Why would any team give a roster spot to semi-retired vets like Michael Finley and Jerry Stackhouse over a young promising, and possibly cheaper, player who plays the same position? It just makes no sense.

There is an old saying that anytime an athlete is pondering retirement, he or she already has retired. Let it go people. At some point, it's over for all athletes.

I agree with nearly everything you say.

Have you looked at our frontcourt lately? :lol

-----

Edit: Seriously, though... did you watch Rasheed in the playoffs with the Celtics? There was almost no dropoff between him and Big Baby. And if you look at the numbers, they say the same thing. 'Sheed's per/36 numbers from the playoffs are almost identical to Davis'. People in Boston were pissed, because they wanted him to be the Rasheed of old - and he wasn't. But for 18-20 minutes per game, that version of Rasheed Wallace would be the best interior defender on this team not named Duncan.

Same goes for McDyess. And an extra 36 minutes of competent interior defense would make one hell of a difference right now. (Like I said, one of them wouldn't be enough. But both of them together would.) It's not like we'd have a problem with roster spots. And it's not like we have some young prospect big that would be losing valuable minutes.

Under normal circumstances, you're dead right about old guys. These aren't normal circumstances. The Warriors are desperate for a big man, and word is they are considering: Alexis Ajinca, Hilton Armstrong, Dan Gadzuric, D.J. Mbenga, Joel Przybilla, Theo Ratliff and Etan Thomas. I'd take Rasheed and Dice in their last seasons, as is, over any of those stiffs.

It may be ugly. Hell, it IS ugly. But unless we can trade Bonner for a center, that's the way things are gonna stay.

SenorSpur
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree with nearly everything you say.

Have you looked at our frontcourt lately? :lol

-----

Edit: Seriously, though... did you watch Rasheed in the playoffs with the Celtics? There was almost no dropoff between him and Big Baby. And if you look at the numbers, they say the same thing. 'Sheed's per/36 numbers from the playoffs are almost identical to Davis'. People in Boston were pissed, because they wanted him to be the Rasheed of old - and he wasn't. But for 18-20 minutes per game, that version of Rasheed Wallace would be the best interior defender on this team not named Duncan.

Same goes for McDyess. And an extra 36 minutes of competent interior defense would make one hell of a difference right now. (Like I said, one of them wouldn't be enough. But both of them together would.) It's not like we'd have a problem with roster spots. And it's not like we have some young prospect big that would be losing valuable minutes.

Under normal circumstances, you're dead right about old guys. These aren't normal circumstances. The Warriors are desperate for a big man, and word is they are considering: Alexis Ajinca, Hilton Armstrong, Dan Gadzuric, D.J. Mbenga, Joel Przybilla, Theo Ratliff and Etan Thomas. I'd take Rasheed and Dice in their last seasons, as is, over any of those stiffs.

It may be ugly. Hell, it IS ugly. But unless we can trade Bonner for a center, that's the way things are gonna stay.

There's no doubt that the it IS indeed UGLY - from both sides. I wouldn't want any of these stiffs (new or semi-retired). In fact, if that's all that's left in the free-agent bargain basement bigman bin, I'd just as soon wait until the NBA draft.

Seventyniner
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Since the Spurs waived McDyess, I'm pretty sure they can't re-sign him this season. Otherwise, it would circumvent the salary savings since his contract this year was only half guaranteed.

z0sa
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I'd much rather have Bonner.

mailboogie52
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Please say NONE of you are serious about Sheed !!!!! Damn ya'll are scaring the hell out of me. He would set back the growth of the young players on the team more than help us. I would rather resign Lawal than sign Sheed.

smrattler
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
From what I saw of him the last couple of years, he is much less and interior presence and does more away from the basket. We have too many players like that already.

ElNono
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2e0lgzk.jpg

"All that bullshit-ass calls they had out there. With Mike Callahan and Kenny Mauer -- you've all seen that shit," Wallace said.

"You saw them calls. The cats are flopping all over the floor and they're calling that shit. That shit ain't basketball out there. It's all fucking entertainment. You all should know that shit. It's all fucking entertainment."

tmtcsc
01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
No way, no how. Dude's a knucklehead and there's no way he'd be in shape or able to stay in shape. I'd rather have Horry back. Out of shape and all.