PDA

View Full Version : How many draft picks do we have playing in Europe?

mailboogie52
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Just wondering how many we have playing overseas that we could tap for the future. If we are going to rebuild with young players we have a good group to start working toward that goal.

Lorbek is 27 and says he wants to come play for the Spurs. He is playing solid ball in Europe and could step in as a solid backup for the front line and replace Bonner.

Bertans is only 19 and rotting with the team he is playing for as he get no minutes. I think we should try to bring him over and D league him to find out if he is good or not.

Richards is having a great season in Switzerland league, they have lost only once and he is seeing a good amount of minutes.

Nando De Colo is playing fair ball in the Eurocup leagues, but he is not a point guard and remains to be seen if he is a shooting guard.

Adam Hanga needs to develop a shot. He is not hitting a high % of what he is taking in ACB league. 33% wont make it in the NBA.

James Gist was a Spur draft pick but has yet to impress anyone with his play either here or in Europe.

Although I know it wont happen, but I would love to see Lorbek, Bertans and Richards brought over and placed on the Toros roster and see time in the Spurs system. That would give them a head start on next season. 2 bigs and a small forward with 6'10 height and maybe still growing. Also, 2 very, very young players in Richards and Bertans for the future.

Am I missing any other players we hold their rights?

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Just wondering how many we have playing overseas that we could tap for the future. If we are going to rebuild with young players we have a good group to start working toward that goal.

Lorbek is 27 and says he wants to come play for the Spurs. He is playing solid ball in Europe and could step in as a solid backup for the front line and replace Bonner.

Bertans is only 19 and rotting with the team he is playing for as he get no minutes. I think we should try to bring him over and D league him to find out if he is good or not.

Richards is having a great season in Switzerland league, they have lost only once and he is seeing a good amount of minutes.

Nando De Colo is playing fair ball in the Eurocup leagues, but he is not a point guard and remains to be seen if he is a shooting guard.

Adam Hanga needs to develop a shot. He is not hitting a high % of what he is taking in ACB league. 33% wont make it in the NBA.

James Gist was a Spur draft pick but has yet to impress anyone with his play either here or in Europe.

Although I know it wont happen, but I would love to see Lorbek, Bertans and Richards brought over and placed on the Toros roster and see time in the Spurs system. That would give them a head start on next season. 2 bigs and a small forward with 6'10 height and maybe still growing. Also, 2 very, very young players in Richards and Bertans for the future.

None that have much chance of ever playing in the NBA. Spurs still retain rights to Javtokas, Sanikidze, and Karaulov. They no longer retain rights to Gist.

Good ready reference:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/San_Antonio_Spurs/26/Rosters

Maddog
01-13-2012, 12:49 PM
None that have much chance of ever playing in the NBA. Spurs still retain rights to Javtokas, Sanikidze, and Karaulov. They no longer retain rights to Gist.

Good ready reference:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/San_Antonio_Spurs/26/Rosters
ohmigod!!!!
We retain Jacque Vaughn bird rights?
he's only 36 and sitting on the bench already.
Get him a uniform!!!!

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
ohmigod!!!!
We retain Jacque Vaughn bird rights?
he's only 36 and sitting on the bench already.
Get him a uniform!!!!

:lol

He's still a better PG than Gary Neal.

The ADMIRAL 50
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM

With Richards and Bertrans I wholeheartedly agree, but there is absolutely no way a 27 year old veteran class player in Europe is gonna come stateside to try and prove himself in the D league.

Bruno
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm sorry to say that most of the comments about these players are just off.

You can rank Spurs' draft picks in Europe like that:
- They are good enough to play in the NBA: Lorbek.
- They suck but they are young so it can change: Richards, Hanga, and Bertans.
- They will never play in the NBA: Sanikidze, Javtokas and Karaulov.

De Colo is at the crossroad of these 3 categories.

DrSteffo
01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Agreed and for the ones that currently sucks I have the most hope for Bertans. He is so very young and has played some decent international games.

ChumpDumper
01-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Richards is having a great season in Switzerland league, they have lost only once and he is seeing a good amount of minutes.Statistically his play is inconsistent and he's starting alongside a former backup big man for the Austin Toros.

Josepatches_
01-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Switzerland league.... it says all.

Josepatches_
01-14-2012, 06:57 AM
About Lorbek he's not Splitter.Saying that i wouldn't change a nice role in Barcelona to be sitting on the bench in SA.
He will win more money in Europe and he will be more important.

He could try it but thinking what happens with Tiago I'm sure SA is not the best place for him. Plus defense is far away to be the best of his game .

Twisted_Dawg
01-14-2012, 08:32 AM
The fucking Switzerland league? Switzerland has a basketball league? WTF is Richards wasting his time in that league for? Why isn't he playing for a team in Spain or Italy?

Texas_Ranger
01-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Lorbek is a little better than Splitter. He can score from anywhere. His only problem is rebounding.
Richards and Bertans are still not even near NBA material. De Colo looks solid.

Mel_13
01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
If you actually think you can get a contract in a decent European league without ever having played decent even against senior level competition, then you are delusional.

You are expected to actually be able to play if you get a contract in a decent European league. Richards has never even proven himself to be able to handle a real pro league yet.

He would have to probably start in the second division of a good league at this point. The only other way would be if he made an NBA training camp or something. Otherwise European teams have no need to have interest in a guy that was cut from a second division Spanish club already.

Any guy that was drafted by an NBA team....even guys that are total scrubs at Euroleague level...should be able to dominate at the level he's playing at right now, yet he is not.

I checked for flying pigs and didn't see any. Who would have thought that KBP could deliver a cogent, lucid post? Recommend this approach in the future.

BackHome
01-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry to say that most of the comments about these players are just off.

- They suck but they are young so it can change: Richards, Hanga, and Bertans.
- They will never play in the NBA: Sanikidze, Javtokas and Karaulov.

De Colo is at the crossroad of these 3 categories.

Have to disagree with you about Hanga - the guy is 6'7 he is super athletic, very quick, and very fluid. He needs to work on his defense and not turn the ball over as much. He also went from a no so good league to a very good league and is still doing his thing.

He might even come over next year if the Spurs trade any of there SG this off season.

De Colo is a little like Manu he can play PG on offense he just cant guard speedy PG on defense.

Bender
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
has the "draft and leave overseas" ever rewarded the spurs? I'm just asking, I don't know...

It seems like a waste to me.

BackHome
01-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Manu........................:)

ChuckD
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM

You're right. It will never happen. The d-league pays dog shit compared to even mid level European leagues.

Nathan Explosion
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM

If Splitter keeps the upward trajectory he's on, he'd be another.

ChumpDumper
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
You're right. It will never happen. The d-league pays dog shit compared to even mid level European leagues.Lorbek is far too good to play in the D-League.

Bertans was playing a few regular minutes for a Euroleague team that was having financial problems, but doesn't appear to be playing for his new squad yet.

Richards is playing for a team that is led statistically by D-League bench players.

Bertans and Richards could conceivably benefit from playing on the Toros. unless the rules have changed they would still be receiving their NBA pay while assigned there. It looks like that was the plan with Joseph before Ford's injury, so it could be in the cards for one of these guys.

Darkwaters
01-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Manu Ginobili
Tiago Splitter
Ian Mahinmi (didn't work out for us, did for Dallas)
Luis Scola (yea....see above)

Bender
01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Manu........................:)ok, well we know about Manu, but that was something like 12 years ago. I mean since then... Seems like the almost everybody the spurs pick, just stays over there and never shows up...

Splitter came over... but most dont.

DrSteffo
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
ok, well we know about Manu, but that was something like 12 years ago. I mean since then... Seems like the almost everybody the spurs pick, just stays over there and never shows up...

Hmm...what do u expect from late draft picks :bang

Fabbs
01-15-2012, 08:53 AM

What are his weaknesses?
Is this another screw up by CIA Popped and Bumford?

jimo2305
01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
ok, well we know about Manu, but that was something like 12 years ago. I mean since then... Seems like the almost everybody the spurs pick, just stays over there and never shows up...

my sentiments exactly.. just reading this thread about the draft picks pisses me off..

Bruno
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Have to disagree with you about Hanga - the guy is 6'7 he is super athletic, very quick, and very fluid. He needs to work on his defense and not turn the ball over as much. He also went from a no so good league to a very good league and is still doing his thing.

Hanga is playing for a middle of the pack team in Spain and is averaging 6.9ppg with a 34.3 FG% in 22mpg. I don't think you can consider that as being good.

Texas_Ranger
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
What are his weaknesses?

Not really great in defense and rebounding but still I think he's better than Bonner. On offense he can score from everywhere. Can also play with his back to the basket a little better than Tiago. He's like Scola that can score 3 pointers. Will probably never be a 18/10 guy in the NBA, but could be a good backup PF for Tim next year(if he comes). Splitter, Duncan, Lorbek & Blair lineup under the basket would look great.

ChuckD
01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
What are his weaknesses?

How can he possibly be a screw up, since his rights were literally a throw in piece in the George Hill - Kawhi/Bertans trade?