PDA

View Full Version : Udrih humiliated by Pistons' defense

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Udrih humiliated by Pistons' defense
Spurs' rookie point guard dominated by Billups, Hunter

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:09 p.m. ET June 17, 2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Beno Udrih’s family flew from Slovenia to San Antonio to watch him in the NBA Finals. His 82-year-old grandfather got on a plane for the first time, and his father and brother even followed him up to Michigan for the Spurs’ road games.

As if the rookie point guard wasn’t already facing enough pressure from Chauncey Billups and Lindsey Hunter.

Udrih has been embarrassed by the Detroit Pistons’ defense during the finals, though he’s hardly the only San Antonio player in that predicament. He has made eight turnovers in his 43 minutes of play in the series, largely because the Pistons have double-teamed and trapped him mercilessly during his brief stints spelling Tony Parker.

And though Udrih, who will turn 23 next month, acknowledges it’s tough to play such a big role under such a spotlight, he has been making successful adjustments to the NBA style for nearly a year — and he’s confident he can do it one more time.

“The finals are just so much more physical than the regular season,” he said Friday before the Spurs’ workout at the Pistons’ training complex. “I’m just trying to adjust as soon as possible. In (Game 1), I wasn’t happy with my game. In the third game, I didn’t do good. I was terrible. In Game 4, I did much better, but still, I’ve got work to do.”

Coach Gregg Popovich has been reluctant to remove Parker from games, even for short stretches, because he knows Larry Brown’s players are waiting to jump all over Udrih, who made three turnovers in Game 3.

In Game 4, Rasheed Wallace double-teamed Udrih near the scorer’s table in the second quarter, easily forcing a turnover that led to a key layup in the Pistons’ 14-0 run. Udrih looked a bit lost — but his teammates believe he’ll find his way.

“He just has to find a way to be strong on the ball and not make the same mistakes with their traps,” Parker said. “He’s our backup and he has to play well, and I think he will.”

Despite his struggles in the Detroit suburbs, Udrih also showed signs of his long-term potential in Game 4. He scored five quick points when he entered the game, including a 3-pointer.

And Udrih’s turnovers are just one of many factors contributing to the Spurs’ slump. The Pistons have scored 48 points off the Spurs’ turnovers in the last two games. In the series, San Antonio has made 68 turnovers — 25 more than Detroit.

His family’s presence could be a comfort to Udrih, who left Slovenia three years ago to pursue his professional dreams in Israel, Russia and Italy. The Spurs selected him as their latest international draft steal last summer — even though he hasn’t looked like a bargain in the finals so far.

Though Udrih was on Maccabi Tel Aviv’s national championship team two years ago, some international observers thought he was too young to be successful in the fast-paced NBA game when he left Italy’s Breil Milano to enter the draft.

But he excelled in pre-draft workouts and eventually adjusted to the pace, though the first few exhibition games were a blur. He’s now comfortable with “eight eyes on you all the time” — referring to Popovich and his three assistants, who constantly critique his game.

Udrih is averaging 12 minutes per game in the playoffs, mostly playing well in the first three rounds. Despite his difficulties in the finals, he hasn’t flinched in front of the Pistons’ raucous home crowd — because he’s seen worse.

“When we played in Serbia and Montenegro, they were doing crazy stuff,” he said. “If you win there, you’ve got to run out of the gym to the locker room. You don’t want stuff to hit you. Here, the fans are much more friendly. They really love basketball, and they come to watch basketball and cheer for the team.

“If you’re from Slovenia and they’re from Serbia and Montenegro, they were fighting. There was a war. They think it’s your fault, that you beat them, and they’re just throwing everything at you. So you’ve got to run.”

Now that the Spurs are guaranteed another game in San Antonio, Udrih is hoping he can finish the season with a ring at home — something that’s sure to delight his grandfather.

“It was his first time (in San Antonio), and he says he wants to stay there,” Udrih said with a grin. “Hopefully we can make him go back home.”

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8260455/

TheWriter
06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
The guys a rookie, what the hell else does everyone expect from him? To be Magic?

This kid was picked 28th. He's our backup. All I know.

Beno > Hunter sans game 4 > Arroyo

Vashner
06-17-2005, 05:52 PM
ouch...

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Beno looks like he's playing at the YMCA esp when the Pistons pressure him.

Pop needs to play Tony as much as possible. Tony's 22 or 23 and should be able to play 45 minutes a game.

ducks
06-17-2005, 06:04 PM
if you did not know he was a rookie now
then you must not follow the spurs closely or he must have not played like a rookie to you during the regular season

cherylsteele
06-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Beno looks like he's playing at the YMCA esp when the Pistons pressure him.

Pop needs to play Tony as much as possible. Tony's 22 or 23 and should be able to play 45 minutes a game.

It doesn't help when everyone else on the Spurs runs away from the ball to leave him high and dry......it is basic to pass out of the press and not try to dribble out of it.....some of Beno's TO's were the fault's of the vets like Horry and Brent.

Only a very few players (Parker, AI) are able to dribble out of the press but no as often as a good pass.

spur4life
06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
the spurs need to start double-teaming billups to get the ball out of his hands...he is killing the spurs by having the ball in his hands all the way & it is obvious that parker or beno cannot guard him one on one....nazr has to step up & play like a big man in the centre should play...he should at least try & play hard against ben wallace...this will reduce the pressure of the pistons defece on timmy...our players (both bigs & guards) should also make it a point of duty to take care of the rebounds...pistons are getting too many 2nd chance points...in game 4, they had 20 extre field goal attempts...you cannot allow that if you are the spurs & you want to steal one on the road.....our guys must really WANT it to win game 5 & i believe whatever tension they felt in games 3 & 4 playing in front of an hostile crowd should have been replaced by as much adrenaline as possible by now....duncan also needs to lead the way...i hope he is pumped up & ready to go for the kill...he should stop shooting fade away jump shots...he should be very quick with the ball & he needs to drive into the paint very fast...this will unsettle the detroit defenders..duncan cannot solve the pistons defence by being slow, they will just continue to slap the ball away....timmy's objective in game 5 should be to put the pistons' big in foul trouble & he should be prepared to take care of business at the foul line...if calls are not going his way, he should continue playing hard..sooner or later the referees will take notice & make the right calls....nazr needs to play smart in the paint area....he canot afford missing eay dunks...this kills us because it enables the pistons to score in transition...something they are not very well known for....bruce should make a commitment to shut down rip hamilton one more time...he has done it all thorugh the series & should continue doing the good job.... i think pop & our players need to take a critical look at the videos of the last 2 games...what are the pistons doing differently apart from the fact that they are playing in their arena...i don't think it should be difficult to distrupt their game since we play similar defence-oriented styles...we also need to go back to the defence that enables us to keep opposing team scores in the 70s....we cannot continue to allow pistons to score in the 90s & 100s....finally, to win game 5, the spurs need to find 2 key guys from the bench that will counter mcdyess & hunter....we cannot win if those two guys are scoring more than our 2 all-stars.....