PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Pistons Quotes from today (Friday)

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 05:48 PM
GREGG POPOVICH

Q. Almost to a man this week, your players have said, win, lose or draw, you can light a fire under your players or pat them on the back. What is it about your relationship with your players that allows them to like buy into your coaching philosophy and management style?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: They are great guys. You know, I think it's on them. Some people are more coachable than others. Some people are more objective. Some people are more ready to listen. Some people can be criticized easier than others. I'm blessed with a group that understands that we're going to be straightforward, that we're never going to play psychological games with them. We're going to tell them what they do well, what they do poorly, and we expect them to do their jobs just like the lawyer, the plumber or the truck driver or whoever else has a job.

Q. Are you surprised at how they all seem to buy into it relatively quickly?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: No, because it's the kind of people they are, very honestly. You know, they are guys that care about the whole more than the part, and we try to do that research ahead of time before we bring somebody in. It makes things a lot easier.

Q. Most teams that have won championships over the last 25 years or so have no brainer lock Hall of Famers; the Pistons don't necessarily. Your thoughts on just how they are a unique team in that respect and they don't have a lot of All Stars, and yet they are in this position?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: I think it's an odd thing, because what you say is true, you wouldn't look and say, he's going to be in the Hall of Fame, he's going to be in the Hall of Fame. But, at the same time, they have three or four players who are basically All Star caliber players, so they are right there and they have a lot of them.
You know, when you look at Chauncey, you look at Rip, you look at Tayshaun, you look at Rasheed, those are guys that are all capable of being on an All Star team. They are very talented. The fact that this guy or this guy hasn't been named is irrelevant, really.

Q. You guys give up 102, only forced four turnovers, is your defense broke or does it just need some tinkering?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: No. Our halfcourt defense is very good. If you would have told me before these games that we're going to handle Rasheed and Rip and Tayshaun the way we have, I would have been thrilled.
So the halfcourt defense is good, what stinks are the boards and the turnovers. As you know, after Game 3, that was a huge priority for us, and on the boards, we really improved a lot. We only gave up 19 instead of 20 on second chance points. And on the turnovers, we gave up 23 in Game 3 and we gave up 25 last night.
So my speech was not heeded very well, or, you know, maybe I didn't say it loudly enough, but that's where their points are coming from. It's been two games in a row like that, and if you give them those points, you're in trouble because at the same time, you're not scoring because you just gave the ball up or you gave them that many more possessions. So it's a double whammy, and that's what's going on. I think, well, why is it going on? Well, it's going on because we've succumbed to their physical play in my opinion. They have raised the bar in physicality. They do not want to give up the ring and we have not met that challenge to date in Games 3 and 4.

Q. What's your assessment of how the benches have played the last couple of games and are you planning any changes in the rotation for Game 5?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Well, both teams are going to have the same players that they had Games 1 through 4, so the same guys are going to play and we're not going to change who is going to be on the court. These are the guys that have played all year long. So the rotation won't change in that regard.
But the bench was awful. You know, we got nothing off the bench last night in any way, shape or form at either end of the floor. And that's not going to work. So we have several individuals that need to play better, without a doubt, both starters and bench people. We don't have too many people that one would say played well in Games 3 and 4.

Q. Knowing Coach Brown like you do, is Chauncey Billups the kind of point guard that you would expect Coach Brown to build around, the way he plays and whatnot?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: You know, Chauncey is I think he's done a masterful job in Games 3 and 4, because he's shown a great balance in running the team, pushing it when necessary, getting people set when necessary, scoring when necessary, being that decision maker, to be aggressive, to be in attack mode, but keep it under control so to speak and have some sense to it. I think he's done a great job of it.

Q. And how much of those four turnovers can be attributed, the only four turnovers that you guys forced yesterday, how much of that can be attributed to the way he ran the show?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Well, I don't really know. We're not a team that forces many turnovers. That's not one of our fortes. It never has been. So that doesn't concern me that much. The other end of it concerns me, how many they are forcing.

Q. Talk about the second chance points. Are a lot of those off transition where you turn the ball over, they run and so you miss a shot and people are out of position?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Sure, that's part of it.

Q. Does Tim have to impose his will on this series more forcefully?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Well, Tim has not had the greatest of games in Games 3 and 4. He's the center of what we do. He's important. We score differently than Detroit does. We're an inside out team. We're going to have something inside going with Tim and spacing the floor is important to us in that regard. So if we don't really have the inside out game, it takes a lot away from what we're doing.

Q. You say that and you've also said that, you know, Tim is most critical of himself. Knowing that, what do you expect from him after Games 3 and 4 going into Game 5?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Well, he's going to try to have the best possible game. He's not going to pout, he's not going to feel badly, he's going to be disappointed with himself for not playing better, and he's going to, you know, try to he'll look at the film and he'll try to figure out what he can do to score, what he can do to help the team. That's just the way he's built.

Q. What can the team do around him to kind of create some openings for him to have to room to work?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Well, it works really in the other direction; we have to establish the inside first.

Q. It's easy to say that the series is simply 2 2, but all of the games have been blowouts, how does a coach cope with that?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: I'm very surprised by that. I would that thought coming in that it's going to be in the fourth quarter and it's going to be 78 76, whoever doesn't turn it over or makes a shot in the last couple of minutes is going to win the game. I'm very surprised the way the play has been through the first four games.
And it is 2 2, that's a fact. Everything is even. Both teams have done their job so to speak. But I think there's one difference: I think I'm really concerned about the way we've reacted to their physical play. That really bothers me, and I think that that's got to be handled or we're going to have a problem.

Q. Is there somebody specifically within the group that needs to take that by the horns?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: No. We have several. That's a team thing. I think overall, if you look at the turnovers last night, it wasn't one guy, you know, it's spread across. We have three or four guys with three turnovers and a couple other ones with two, three guys with one, that sort of stuff.
So as a team, I think that Ben and Lindsey have done a hell of a job of setting the tone for those guys, and they have all bought in and they have all done it and we've backed off from it. Ben didn't try any less in San Antonio. It's not like he decided he wasn't going to play 1 and 2 and he's going to play 3 and 4. He's not built like that. Ben goes out and does his job for 48 minutes every night. Lindsey is the same way. We didn't allow them to do that in San Antonio. We had five guys going to the boards and it helped take Ben away a little bit. We had guys being strong with the ball. We were in attack mode and we didn't sit back and pound it. So I think they have really put us on our heels, led by those two guys.

Q. Most of the guys that come into the NBA feel that first and foremost they have to have a shot, so they offensively advance. Is this a fault of coaching and is coaching a guy to be a good defender easier or harder than coaching him to be a good scorer?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: No, it's always tougher to teach a guy to be a good defender, because you have to have a willing candidate, and there are not that many guys who are willing to buy in and make it something that's going to have to be focused on day after day through a whole season. Everybody wants to score. Everybody wants to shoot. Fewer people want to fill roles, know their strengths and weakness, concentrate on their strengths. Even if their weakness is shooting or offense, they always think that they can get better, and to a degree they can. But there's a ceiling on everybody, and if you can find players who understand that ceiling and are willing to work at the other end of the court, then you've got something special.
Bruce is a good example of that. He's not the most effective offensive player, but he's figured out what he can do offensively to stay on the court because he's such a good defender. So if he was trying to do things at the offensive end that hurt his team, it would diminish what he does defensively and he would be sitting. But he's smart enough not to do that. There are not too many guys like that.

Q. Larry mentioned in his press conference that he felt kind of bad in beating you and the Spurs by such a lopsided margin. Obviously you guys want to win every game
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: And you bought that? And you bought that? (Laughter) How long have you been covering Larry? Good, Lord. I wish Doug Moe was here. He would give you a good answer. (Laughter).

Q. So you don't care? You want to beat Larry by 30?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: I want to beat him by 50. The hell with him. (Laughter).
No, he's right. It's a strange deal. You know, you guys, when you've known somebody that long and this sort of thing, it was really true. It sounds weird, it sounds strange, but when we won the first two games, sure, I was thrilled about it and I wouldn't give them back, but when I saw Coach, it was like, "How you doing, Coach?" And you don't say no real words come out, you just sort of mumble, because you feel bad for the other guy, and that's what he did last night. He felt bad for me personally, but he's not going to give them back, you know. So that's just an irrelevant little side note. (Laughter).

TIM DUNCAN

Q. You've been guarded pretty evenly by their three big guys. Can you just talk about what each one of them brings to the table and does the fact that you've got those three different looks, is that something that prevents you from getting in more of a rhythm?
TIM DUNCAN: What was the last thing?

Q. The fact that you've got three different guys to go against.
TIM DUNCAN: Prevents me from what?

Q. Getting on a roll, getting into a rhythm?
TIM DUNCAN: Yes, they are very different in what they do. They throw a lot of different bodies at you, and Ben and Rasheed and Dyess do so many different things. They have been effective, so yes, it does affect me. But at the same time, I believe I've gotten a lot of shots that on a regular basis I would knock down, I would make, and I hope to do that in the next game.

Q. After Game 3, you were somewhat critical of your performance and you just said you would have knocked down some shots ordinarily that you didn't. Yesterday, how would you characterize your play in Game 4 overall?
TIM DUNCAN: I played very poorly. I thought I was a lot more aggressive. I thought I made some good moves, just unable to finish, whether it be their defense or just missing some shots. I think it fueled a lot of what they were doing. Some situations where I missed shots and they run out off the rebounds, but that's all of us. So we have to continue to attack and get to the rim as much as possible and hope that we can draw some fouls.

Q. Who in your opinion over the course of your career has defended you best?
TIM DUNCAN: I don't know. I don't know how to answer that question. Every defender brings a different challenge.
I don't want to avoid your question. I just don't know how to answer that question.

Q. Pop said last night that he may have talked to you more in the fourth quarter last night than he has over the last couple of days. We've seen that before in situations through your career where he's talking to you for a long period of time in blowout losses like that. Can you characterize what those conversations are like?
TIM DUNCAN: What did we talk about? I honestly don't really remember what we talked about. It's all kind of a blur at that time. I think we're both frustrated at that time. We're both, I don't want to say we're looking for answers, but we're both just kinds of in a daze. I know I am. I know he's always focused on the game and if it is a situation like last night, he's focused on what we have to do for the next game. So either he's already starting to coach for the next game and trying to throw me whatever hints or things that he believes that either I have to do or we have to do as a team.
But honestly, I couldn't tell you what he told me last night.

Q. We're used to seeing you being almost automatic out there sometimes where it almost looks easy and these two games, so uncharacteristic for you. What is it starting to feel like out there as it's getting away from you, even the open shots you mentioned not going in?
TIM DUNCAN: It's just frustrating. It's just frustrating, because especially in this time of the year and on this stage, I feel like those shots should be going down for me. I should be able to make those shots.
But they don't, and they didn't go down, and the frustration is there, of course, and the frustration on a personal level, frustration for my teammates. But I look forward to the next game and I look forward to getting out there and having these two days to really get some shots up, get a little bit of practice in, and get back out on the floor for Game 5.

Q. As much as at this time of the year many players have to play well in order to win, is there a sense that for your team it has to begin with you?
TIM DUNCAN: Absolutely. Yeah, that's where it begins.

Q. Can you describe why that would be, that a player such as yourself has to sort of set that tone?
TIM DUNCAN: I have to be a leader. I am the leader of this team. So it starts with me, and I understand that. But at the same time, a lot of people are going to take responsibility into this next game, and I think Tony is going to really step up and really increase his play and increase his pressure and try to make things happen that way. Manu is going to take his time. Bruce is going to continue to do what he's going to do. So people are going to step up, and I believe personally and I think everybody believes it, it starts with me and it starts with what I'm doing for them.

Q. All week long, so many of your teammates have been talking about how Coach Popovich knows when to light a fire under his team and knows when to pat his players on the back. What is it about Coach Popovich's relationship with his team that allows the players to embrace that coaching philosophy and that management style so well?
TIM DUNCAN: I think we just understand that he's going to get on us when it's right, and it's not an ongoing, all the time thing, and I think that style really wears on players and you lose a lot of respect for people when they do that. He does it at the right time. As you say, he'll pat you on the back at the right time and he'll kick you in the ass at the right time and he knows how to balance that. I believe it's the most effective way to do things.

Q. Manu is kind of a new NBA star, what advice can you give him when a defense is ganging up on him like that and making him a focus?
TIM DUNCAN: Take your time. What they have done over the last two games is make us react to what they do. They have been aggressive defensively and they have got us back on our heels and they make us kind of counter what they are doing, instead of them countering what we're doing.
So it's just about him taking his time. He's got all of the skills in the world, and it's about going out there and being effective on the level that he counters what they do. He makes them understand that if they are going to collapse and double and triple team him, he's going to make the pass that leads to a score, whatever it may be.

MANU GINOBILI

Q. What's been the difference for you between Games 1 and 2 and Games 3 and 4?
MANU GINOBILI: I really don't know. I think we stopped moving the ball and it's hard to penetrate and find the room to get to the hole when you are just standing. I think we moved the ball much better in 1 and 2. You know, they just played much better. They collapsed the paint a lot more, and when we moved the ball, we just didn't find a lot of open room to find the open shooter or penetrate. They just did a great job.

Q. When you look back at the infancy of you as a basketball player, were you a good defender first and a good scorer second or was it the other way around or did both of those sort of grow equally?
MANU GINOBILI: No. I was mainly an offensive guy. I didn't you know, when I was a kid, younger, I didn't care much about playing D because I knew I was able to score and I was going to play.
So when I started playing on good teams and started getting mature, I started understanding defense a little more, giving more importance to it and started getting better.

Q. When you won the first two games in San Antonio, people said, the series is over and now they have won two games and the series is over. How are you guys looking at the series when it is 2 2?
MANU GINOBILI: Of course, we didn't think the series was over after the first two games. We knew it was going to be very hard here. What we didn't know was that it was going to be so hard, because they are really killing us. These last two games were just embarrassing. They beat us all over the court in every part of the game.
So we came here wanting to at least win one, and we still have an opportunity. So we are going to give the best shot because we know how important it is when you are tied Game 5. So we really have got to step up, play better and more aggressively, more with our hearts than we did in Game 3 and 4.

Q. Is that the emotion of this team, is it embarrassment, disappointed? What is the emotion?
MANU GINOBILI: Well, disappointed for sure. Embarrassment, too. Because what we did in Game 4 was really bad.
So I am embarrassed. I don't know if my teammates are or not, but of course we are upset. Nobody likes losing like that, especially in an NBA Finals, so we are looking forward to playing Game 5 and do a much, much better job.

Q. We're here in the middle of NBA Finals, but also there are some labor issues that are going on now. As a player, who is relatively new to this league, how optimistic are you that a labor deal would be struck before the lockout deadline?
MANU GINOBILI: I really hope so. I think it's going to be bad for both sides if something like that happened. In this moment, of course, I don't have my mind on that, and I really don't care until next week seriously. There is something really big we are playing for now to be thinking about that. But of course, we know it's our future, the future of the league, too, so we are all looking forward to finding a solution.

Q. What can you and the rest of your teammates do to allow Tim to get off to have one of those 30 and 20 nights that he's generally had in the NBA Finals before?
MANU GINOBILI: Help him in any possible way. We have to just stay with the ball and, you know, try to feed him and all stay quiet and wait for him to do something. I think we have to create ball movement. If we pass him the ball when Ben Wallace or Rasheed or whoever is guarding him is helping, it's easier for him. We just don't have to give him the whole responsibility of what we are doing in Game 3 and 4. We just have to move the ball. If we've got him, good, if not, we just have to keep moving and try to attack.
We played the whole season not depending only on him, so we don't have to do it now just because we are in trouble. So it's not a matter of Tim being responsible of this, but it's the team, that always happens. It's a matter of everybody looking inside of us and realize what we did wrong and try to, you know, improve it, get better and go out there and compete because we really need to compete even better.

Q. Pop said the most disappointing was the fact that you guys have succumbed to their physical play. Ben Wallace sets the tone for them with that kind of play. Who has got to be the guy, who is it incumbent upon on the Spurs to set that tone in Game 5?
MANU GINOBILI: We hope everybody does it. Because when you see hustle plays by some teammates that usually don't or don't show that every game, it's like it's contagious. You get pumped up because of that.
So I'm going to try to do it. I hope Tony is going to try to do it, Tim, Bruce, always, so we have to start very aggressive and physical to show them that what happened in Game 3 and 4 is not going to happen again.
I don't think it's a matter of one guy, because you can say Ben Wallace, but then you see Lindsey Hunter, McDyess coming from the bench and being very aggressive, Chauncey Billups, everybody. It's not a matter of one starting it. I think it's a team, and we've all got to be aware of what we're playing here. This is a Game 5 of the NBA Finals. You never know if you're going to be here again. So we've got to play with our pride and determination.

TONY PARKER

Q: How tough has the matchup been with Chauncey Billups?
Parker: This series is not about matchups. It’s about how we’re playing, and we played softly in the last two games. I’m not thinking about [Chauncey], I’m thinking about setting the tone for the game, and trying to make some stuff happen for our team.

Q: How do you think your team will respond to losing two straight Finals games, something you guys aren’t really used to?
Parker: It was two-two a couple of years ago against New Jersey, with the fifth being a huge game. We have to approach Sunday’s game the same way. Obviously, we’re not playing well. We’re making a lot of mistakes. The thing that’s disappointing is that we made a lot of the same mistakes in Game Four that we made in Game Three. We’ve made a lot of turnovers, and we’re getting beaten on the boards. The key now is to play with a lot of heart, and to play harder. It seems like they’ve played the last couple games like they wanted it more than us. We just have to show that we want it too.

Q: Will the poise of the team show through in the end?
Parker: Absolutely. [Game Five] is going to be a game where you’re going to see our character. It’s a game where we have to show a lot of heart and play a lot harder.

Q: Is their picking you up full court on defense frustrating your offense?
Parker: It definitely is. It’s changing our rhythm, and getting us away from our usual offense. They’re pressuring us to hurry in our offense. We haven’t been patient enough, and that’s what causes turnovers. We have to make sure to do a better job setting our plays, getting the ball to Timmy where he wants it. We have to make sure we take better care of the ball.

Q: Has it been difficult playing a great defensive team like Detroit after playing against Phoenix, who doesn’t play great defense?
Parker: We knew that Detroit played great defense. We played good the first two games, and then we came here and we’re not playing like we used to. We just have to find some solutions and make some adjustments. I think the key is how we’re going to attack them on offense. I also think we have to control the boards, take care of the ball… all of the stuff we talked about after Game Three.

BRUCE BOWEN

Q: You have had some time to digest what happened last night, any better grasp of what you need to do to come back?
Bowen: Guys understand, from a player’s stand point that when you give a team like Detroit opportunities with turnovers and loose balls, things of that nature, it only enhances their team. And I think the first game that we lost we had turnovers for 23 points, and last night was 25. You can’t keep turning the ball over against a ball club like this because it just gives them energy and inspires their players to do good things.

Q: Why have you guys struggled inside in particular?
Bowen: I don’t know. It’s a matter of – you know you have to give Detroit credit with their defense. I don’t think it is a situation where we just come down and we have easy looks or anything like that, they’re pressuring us, we have to find a way to fight through that pressure and get the job done.

Q: What can you guys do collectively to help Tim Duncan?
Bowen: Everybody understands that Tim is the focal point of our offense and he creates opportunities for us, so it’s not a matter of anybody getting down on him, it’s just a matter of us trying to get him the ball when he’s open. I think some of the times that we have tried to get him the ball they have been bad passes. If there is a guy hanging on his top shoulder, you still can’t throw it to that top hand, you have to dribble over and try make a better angle. And that’s what we have to do, I think sometimes we make bad decisions entering the ball into him and we have to do a better job of that.

Q: Is it specifically turnovers that have created this Jekyll & Hyde like performance between Games 1 & 2 and Games 3 & 4?
Bowen: I think you look at the first two games, we didn’t turn the ball over as much as we have in the third and fourth games. So it’s not Jekyll & Hyde, but it’s a combination of Detroit’s will and their pride on their home court, emphasizing they need that energy and get the crowd going, and things like that.

Q: Is it more difficult that you have a couple of days off after the loss?
Bowen: It is, but at the same time you have to use this time wisely. You have to go at the root of the problem and really do a gut check, so to speak, of how to accomplish a better, active role out there on the court come next game.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 05:50 PM
LARRY BROWN

Q. You and Pop are defensive minded coaches, so coaching somebody like Ben must be a dream. In our lifetime do you think that a defensive specialist like him will get anywhere close to the adoration, the respect, the attention and even the money that your high scoring, no defense stars get?
COACH LARRY BROWN: I don't understand that.

Q. In our lifetime, do you think that defensive specialists like Ben Wallace will get the same kind of attention and respect and honor that the great scorers who don't play any defense get?
COACH LARRY BROWN: No, absolutely not. That's why sometimes when they talk about superstars well, Russell, obviously, is one that we'll all talk about, and Nate Thurmond possibly. But I think in the modern game, it's something that I think is really overlooked. The impact he has on the game has allowed us to win an NBA Championship and be in The Finals.
But the funny thing is, I get calls all the time from college coaches and friends of mine, and they are trying to drum into some of their kids, do what you do best and understand about the Bruce Bowens and the Ben Wallaces, and the fact that, here they are playing on championship caliber teams and have an effect on the game, and making good money.
You know, I think Joe recognizes Ben and his contract is coming up. He's going to be rewarded. Those two kids, when you think of their career paths, a lot of people would have given up. I would hope that you guys can champion them and say things like that, and then maybe coaches can have an easier time showing their kids, hey, if you do what you do best every night, you can be successful.

Q. As someone with some maturity, can you lend some perspective to the debate between Bob Pettit, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone as the greatest power forward ever?
COACH LARRY BROWN: I love Bob Pettit. You know, it's amazing, and I always talk to these players about this, half the guys, if a player played three years ago, they don't even know who the hell they are. So I always point to the rafters when we go into buildings and ask some of the guys, do you remember this guy, do you know who he is.
But my thing with a lot of them, they always tell me how good they are, all the young players when I talk to them. I said, "Well, do you realize when I was coming out of college, or just a short time before, we only had 90 NBA players?" I remember when there were nine teams, ten guys on a team when Bob Pettit played, and every single night, they were coming up against a super player. And they played each other so many times, I mean, the familiarity there made it even more difficult.
And I said, at the time we had 29 teams, I said, we've got 145 starters in our league. That means 55 of you guys wouldn't even have a job. Do you understand that? And no, they don't even comprehend that.
But it's hard to compare one era to the next. Those players back then in my mind really knew how to play, because I don't think they all were quite as athletic. I think they had a great appreciation and respect for the game because obviously the money wasn't great. Most of them had two jobs. And they had to play against a guy every single night that earned the right to play. You know, rookies never played. I think the significance of that and the contribution they made is something we take for granted.

Q. So can you rate Pettit, Malone, Duncan, who is the best power forward?
COACH LARRY BROWN: No, no, don't get I mean, I'll take any one of them and I'd be a hell of a lot better coach than I am today.
But they all had the same thing: They never took a possession off, they made their teammates better, and I think they had an effect on the game on both sides. That's a pretty special group.

Q. You've had a lot of very eventful seasons, but I don't think you've ever had anything to compare to this. Has this been your hardest season?
COACH LARRY BROWN: Oh, no. This has been phenomenal for me. I mean, I don't have too many left, and I've had tzuris (problems) my whole life. I'm doing exactly what I want to do. I mean there are some issues that I've had that I've never had to face before, but it seems like every year there's something. But when I consider what goes on and what other people go through, I'm doing exactly what I want to do. I'm hopeful that I can continue to do it, and when I look at my locker room and consider the people I'm around on a daily basis, I'm blessed.

Q. Let me sneak two more questions in. One, you've had people jumping on you this year, you've had a lot of criticism. Doesn't that stuff get you down?
COACH LARRY BROWN: Oh, yeah. I remember the experience I had last year at this time. I mean, everybody was so happy for me personally, you know, and I have a lot of friends or people I've been around and seen the difficulty in getting to this position. Last year was like, you know, I was put way up here.
But I don't get caught up in that too much. It's part of our profession. We get far too much credit when things go too good, and you get a lot more criticism when things go bad. But again, and you know me well enough, I have a hard time when I don't think people like me. When I always hear as a coach, well, I'd rather have the guys respect me than like me, that isn't me. I can't look down the bench and if I feel like, you know, I don't have a relationship with the 12th man, it bothers the heck out of me. When he doesn't play, it kills me. So I'll never change in that regard.
But I still am doing what I love, and I don't want to see this end.

Q. Can you talk a little about your bench the past few games has given you a lot more than it did in the Miami series, especially on the offensive end, can you talk about what the difference might be there?
COACH LARRY BROWN: A lot of times when the bench hasn't done very much, it's because of me. We've shortened our bench since we've gotten into the playoffs. It's just the way it is. You know, the first series, we had a lot of time between games, and even playing every other day, you have more than normal rest.
But we have been able to use Lindsey and McDyess and Elden Campbell in the Miami series. Carlos has given us some critical minutes. Even last night, his seven minutes were huge. But obviously the last two games, when you look at what McDyess and Lindsey have done, you kind of realize why this series is 2 2. I have no explanation for that. I think Game 2 really helped McDyess get confidence.
Lindsey is going to give you effort every single game. He's always had an impact on the defensive end. Last night, I have no explanation for that. A lot of times he's shooting a jumper and the bench coaches are going, no, no, good shot. But he's changed, you know, he changed this series in what he did the end of the third quarter in Game 3 and the fourth quarter, and McDyess has given us an unbelievable lift.

Q. All three of your big guys have had significant stretches regarding Duncan. Do you let them have a part in deciding who is going to guard him, and do you think the fact that Duncan is seeing three different looks from pretty good defenders is having an effect on him not getting on a real roll?
COACH LARRY BROWN: Yeah, I don't go and say, you guard him or you guard him. I respect my players enough to understand. The only thing I will tell them, in transition, you guard who guards you. Especially as quickly as they advance the ball and transition is such a big part of their offense.
You can't guard Timmy with just one guy. They have too many ways to get him the ball. He's too clever in terms of getting position and finding ways to catch the ball. So you need fresh people and different looks, but you have to have length and quickness to guard him, I think. If he's not posting up, he's running into a pick and roll, and if you don't have athleticism, you can't get out on people on pick and rolls, so we've been fortunate.
Then think about it, they have turned the ball over a lot, and we've scored more than we normally do, so our defense has been set a lot, which maybe impacts him and gives us an opportunity to change defenses a little bit. Games 1 and 2, they were just scripting plays. We used to call it "dummy offense," but my players won't allow that, so now you script plays. I think Game 1 and 2, we let them run anything they wanted. The last two ballgames, we've been able to get our defense set and change up a little bit, and that's affected him.
But he'll get 30 the next game. I don't think and I thought, you know, he had 10 rebounds at halftime, he has a game he gets 16 and 16, you know, and we're all saying, well, what's wrong with Duncan? He makes everybody better.

Q. You said regardless of everything, it's 2 2, but how have you dealt with the fact that each game has been a blowout? How does a coach cope with that?
COACH LARRY BROWN: Well, last night was tough for me because of Pop. You know, we commented to each other, he said, "Now I know how you felt in 1 and 2."
One, I have no explanation for what happened. The closest thing to that is I think when I coached San Antonio, we had a series against Portland that we got blown out both games in Portland and then it was a different format, and then we won in San Antonio, got blown out in Portland Game 5 and won in San Antonio, and Game 7 went right down to the last possession.
I cannot explain what's happened. Maybe Game 3 I could say, hey, it was a desperate situation for us, and maybe San Antonio could have thought it might have been too easy. But knowing Pop and knowing what they are about, I had no idea we could win Game 4 like we did. I always look at one stat when I look at our league: I look at how many times a team has gotten beat by ten or more points, and they are always the best. They very rarely get blown out. We have always been pretty darned good. And that is an important thing for me as a coach. And to see that stat, and then know we won these two games so easily and we got beat so easily, I have no explanation for it at all.

RASHEED WALLACE

Q: Have you always had a lot of success guarding Tim Duncan?
Wallace: It wasn’t no big success. I didn’t do it by myself. Ben (Wallace) was there, Dice (Antonio McDyess) was there. It was just a team effort on Tim last night and just trying to throw a couple of different guys at him, a couple of different looks. Sometimes front him three quarter, and sometimes let him catch it and try to keep him off balance. When I was in Portland, I had Dale (Davis) instead of Ben, and Dale and myself, we would try to slow him down a bit. You’re not going to try to stop him. You just have to try to slow him down.

Q: Can you talk about the performance of the bench last night?
Wallace: They gave us that extra lift that we needed, like a good bench is supposed to, especially Lindsey (Hunter) with his tenacious defense, just being himself.

Q: Do you feel like you guys made a statement last night?
Wallace: We haven’t accomplished anything yet. We still have to play this last game here and make sure we get this one, because we know they’re going to be geeked also, because they’re not going to want to go back to San Antonio. I think it’s going to be the toughest of the three games here at the Palace.

Q: What has been the biggest difference in the last two games as compared to the first two?
Wallace: Just playing defense. I think a little bit of homecourt had something to do with it. The fans kept us pumped up. The adrenaline was flowing. And we came up with some big plays when we needed them. It was an adrenaline game last night. We were pumped from the very beginning and we stayed tenacious for the whole 48 minutes. We didn’t let down and we didn’t make it easy for them to run their plays.

Q: Was last night’s outcome surprising?
Wallace: It happens every now and then. We’re not expecting to go out there Sunday and win by 20 or 30.

Q: Do you think they’ve lost some confidence?
Wallace: I don’t think so, because they’re still attacking, they’re still going to the basket strong. (Manu) Ginobili is still trying to penetrate. Same thing with Tony Parker. Teams that give up, you’ll see them taking a whole bunch of jumpshots, don’t really care if they turn the ball over and won’t hussle back on defense, and that is not happening with the Spurs.

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS

Q. I was wondering if you could just talk about personally how maybe this Finals is different from last year and how much experience did you gain from last year? Do you feel maybe more relaxed just having it under your belt from last year?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Yeah, this, you know, obviously, this second time is a little less nerve wracking, you know last year was the first time that obviously I've been in The Finals, and it makes you a little nervous. But you know this year, you come into it having done it before, so you're not as nervous and you're not you kind of know how to go about it.
So I think that definitely having that year under my belt has made me play a little more at ease and not, you know, with all of this media attention and stuff, I knew what it was going to be like coming in.
So definitely, having that one year under my belt in The Finals has made a difference.

Q. I was talking to your mother and she said that last year, I guess you wanted like a hamburger every day, can you talk about that and do you have any superstitions?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Yeah, I get a little superstitious sometimes. Last year after we won the game, Game 1, I had a hamburger during the day or whatever, cheeseburger, and I had it every game, you know what I'm saying. Like I get a little superstitious like that, like this year after we won Game 3, I think yesterday, I think I wore the same shoes and the same belt you know what I'm saying. Not the same clothes, though. (Laughter).
Yeah, I do man. I used to be real bad, but I tried to get away from it a little bit because it gets a little tough to do the same thing every single day, every single time, you know. I used to be worse but I'm still a little superstitious.

Q. Talk a little about Rasheed Wallace and the enigma that he is. Is he as hard to read as what he seems?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: For y'all, he is, you know what I mean, because y'all don't know him. I mean, y'all don't know him like we know him. He's the same every single day for us, you know what I mean. He's just a great guy, man. He's a great guy. He likes to have fun, he cares about the people that he knows and knows well. He's a family man. He's just a regular dude, you know what I mean. Y'all don't really know him. I think he's very, very misunderstood.
So I think he likes it like that, you know what I'm saying. I don't think he really wants y'all to get to know him, but that's just Sheed.

Q. Why do you think that is? Why won't he allow everyone else to see this other side?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I think he just wants his personal and his private life to be just that, you know what I mean. Don't really want anybody inside of his circle and his square or whatever. Whatever floats your boat, really.
Like I said, I know him and the people around this team, they know him and have got to know him a lot better. I just think it's just that. You know, he wants his life and his private life off the court to be just to him and his family.

Q. How important have Lindsey and Dyess been in getting you guys back in this series?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I mean, they made all the difference. They have made all the difference in getting us back in this series and tying this thing up. Dyess has been very consistent, ever since Game 1, he's been very consistent. Lindsey, you know the effort that he's going to give you night in and night out. His shooting percentage is not indicative of the way he really shoots the ball. He's a great shooter. He's one of the top three point shooters in this franchise's history. I think people forget about that because of the way he hogs the ball on the defensive end of the floor. We know, and I always tell Lindsey, "As much energy as you've given us on defense, I need you to be a little aggressive on offense, too. We need that scoring and we need that scoring punch that you have, man."
Yesterday he did and he was very aggressive. It was so much fun for me to see that.

Q. I know we're at the halfway point, but if you had to vote for the MVP right now, who would that be and why?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I think probably Ben Wallace, man. I mean, I think you could vote for a few guys on our team. But Ben, he just makes the difference for us, you know what I mean. He sets the tone for us. We always feel very comfortable, you know what I mean, and like I always said, there's not a guy like him in this league that can dominate an entire game without even having to score. He can dominate both ends really without even having to score, the way he rebounds offensively and defensively, the way that he plays defense, the emotion and the energy that he brings. He's one of a kind. There's nobody like him.
So if I had to vote, that's probably who it would be.

Q. Do you think the day will ever come where a defensive specialist like him will get anything close to the attention, the adoration, and more importantly, the pay, that the glorious scorers get?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I don't know, man. I think it should come fast. I think he's deserving to be looked upon just as the McGradys and the KGs are all looked at. He has the same effect on the game. It's not as pretty to look at, you know what I mean. It's not as pretty to look at. You see these other guys going out and getting 40s and having big nights, you know what I mean. It's not as pretty and it's not as glamorous, but it's a lot harder to do. It's a lot harder to dominate a game the way he does, and I don't know if the day will ever come where he will be looked at in the same light.
But for us, we look at him, we know that he's a superstar. He's a major star, man.

Q. Is there any easy way to explain how you get two really good teams but you end up with four games with a lot of lopsided final scores, and do you think that hurts the interest in The Finals at all?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: No, hurts the interest? No, not at all. I can't really explain it that you've got two great teams and the games have been very lopsided. I really can't, I can't explain that at all.
I think it generates some interest in The Finals, you know, you're tied up 2 2. We came home 0 2 and like I said, all the media and stuff wrote us off. Y'all acted like we had home court advantage and they came and blew us out twice on our court. Everybody gave up.
But I think it generates interest, to be honest with you. People want to see how these last three games are going to go, you know what I mean, or however many games. They just want to see how they are going to go. We came back 0 2 and if they would have blew us out again on our court in Game 3, then the interest there ain't no more interest no more, people really say it's over.
So I think it generates interest, to be honest.

Q. We're here at the NBA Finals, but the talk of labor issues is also in the air. How optimistic are you as a player that there won't be a lockout?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Well, honestly man, you know, I've been very busy obviously. I haven't really been able to keep up with it like I usually do. I'm hoping that everything turns out right, but I don't really want to talk about it right now because I just haven't been able to really keep up with it like I usually do. I've talked to some people you know, namely Michael Curry, but I still don't, you know, I haven't been able to do my due diligence like I always do.

Q. Can you just talk about your growth as a point guard under Coach Brown, and how was it when he first came here last season? Was it frustrating? Can you talk about some of the specific ways you think you've grown and some of the frustrations and emotions that went into getting there.
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Yeah, I've grown a lot, especially under Coach Brown. Before Coach Brown got here, Coach Carlisle was the coach, and the way I played under him was just like, you know, basically you've got to score. Just score, just do what you do.
So that was the setup for me coming and having Coach Brown come here, he thinks the opposite, you know, and it was like two trains on the wrong path, you know what I mean, just waiting to collide. There was some struggles, you know what I mean, early, my first couple of months. There was definitely some struggles with Coach Brown. But we both sacrificed a lot. We came to a happy medium and it's been a perfect marriage ever since then.
But my game has definitely grown playing for Coach Brown. I think I look at the game in a different light. I understand that I can dominate a game now without having to score as much as I usually do on most nights. You know, he's made an unbelievable difference in my game.

BEN WALLACE

Q. Can you talk about your role in helping stop Ginobili after those first two games, just keeping him out of the lane. What is it you're doing?
BEN WALLACE: You know, it's not just one guy that's doing anything special. We all are collapsing in the paint, forcing him to shoot jumpshots.

Q. Do you think the day will ever come where a defensive specialist like you will get the attention, and more important, the money, the glory that the big time scorers get?
BEN WALLACE: I don't know. But I'm not complaining. I'm having fun being able to go out on the floor, night in and night out, play basketball and, you know, I'm eating pretty good (smiling).

Q. Tim Duncan has obviously been a Finals and regular season MVP and he's looked ordinary, at best, the last two games, do you feel like you guys have done that to him?
BEN WALLACE: Yeah, you know, we are back to our defensive press. Everybody is playing with a lot of energy and we are not overreacting when they put the ball on the floor. So that way we can keep a body on him and force him to shoot over the top. You know, we've got a couple of guys that we can rotate in and out of the game and put on him. We just want to make him fight for 48 minutes trying to score the basketball and trying to keep him off the boards and keep him from getting easy buckets, unlimited looks.

Q. He's been known to be so steady and consistent, but even his open shots last night he's missing. Do you see him getting flustered?
BEN WALLACE: I think our guard play is really the big key to slowing Duncan down, because they are pressuring up the floor and then when he does catch the ball, he's got to fight against either me, Rasheed, McDyess and the shot clock.
So I see him get a little frustrated doing that.

Q. Can you talk about coming to the Washington I guess there were Bullets back then, what your expectations were, how hopeful were you and how fearful were you?
BEN WALLACE: You know, coming to the Bullets, it's just one of those things, I was sort of on the rebound. I had worked out with Boston. I had played had in Italy for a little while, and coming to the Bullets was just another opportunity for me. You know, being able to make that team, it sort of boosted my confidence a little bit and the next year I was able to step on the floor and play some amazing minutes.
It was a great feeling to be able to play in this league and get your name called every now and then. I just thought maybe I could pick it up from here, trying to move on.

Q. Were you expecting anything? I mean, you're an unusual player, most players come in, most of them they are offensive players, most defensive players playing big man positions are bigger than you. Did you worry that you just didn't fit here?
BEN WALLACE: I was a little concerned because my first work out with Boston, I'm pretty sure everybody knew I played the two three, so coming to Washington, they said they were looking for a center. They brought me in as a center and the rest has been history.

Q. Obviously the home crowd energy obviously helps, but what is it specifically the past two games that has turned you guys into this Herculean team?
BEN WALLACE: It's the energy, everybody coming out and playing with incredible energy. I wish I could say it's this or it's that. Man, it's just the energy everybody brings. We're not playing the perfect game in no way, shape or form, but everybody is playing so hard, so if one guy makes a mistake and everybody else is on the same page, they are able to make up for those mistakes.
Once the crowd gets involved and gets behind, it makes you want to play a little bit harder anyway.

Q. So there's no specific adjustment then that you guys make?
BEN WALLACE: No, not really.

Q. What determines which way you're going to wear your hair for a game?
BEN WALLACE: My wife.

Q. Now that you've had two games with it up, do you have to stay with it up? Is that pretty much it?
BEN WALLACE: Until she feels like braiding it up again.

Q. Is she the one that does the braiding?
BEN WALLACE: That's it.

Q. How long will you get it cut?
BEN WALLACE: I don't get cuts. I haven't had it cut in about six years now. (Laughter).

Q. Are you guys fronting Duncan a little bit more than you would normally front others, and did you make any suggestions to Larry about how to guard him differently after the first two games?
BEN WALLACE: Yeah, you know, Coach Brown wants us to front. He want us to front all the time, but we try to tell him, if we can force him off the blocks a little bit, then there's no need to front. So it's either, you force him off the block or if he gets deep post position, you front him.
But I think that only works when our guards pressure, when our guards up pressure, it makes it easy for us to front down in the block where they can't just come down and throw the ball over the top of you.

Q. You mentioned shot clock, what from your standpoint, what's an ideal time for him to catch the ball for you defensively?
BEN WALLACE: You know, for us we want him to start their offense, start going into their plays at like 14 seconds on the clock. By the time they move the ball around from side to side then you catch with seven seconds, and then he's still got to make his move and be aware of if guys are going to help or do whatever. You know, then he's still got to try to score the basketball. So that's a lot to put on your plate.

RICHARD HAMILTON

Q: What do you think about every game in these Finals being a blowout?
Hamilton: It’s very different, especially at this level. Anything is possible with us. It’s unbelievable that every game in these Finals has been determined by more than 15 points.

Q: How about you guys committing only four turnovers?
Hamilton: I think it was a game in the Miami series when we had only seven turnovers, which was a rarity. Coach really preaches trying take care of the ball and things like that, and we did a great job of that last night.

Q: Is it hard assessing your opponent when all these games are blowouts?
Hamilton: As the games go on, you get better at it. Now, it’s just a matter of executing. Teams make adjustments and things like that. When you get a lead like we had, you just try to continue to play the right way.

Q: If one of these games is close coming down to the fourth quarter, are you confident you guys will respond well?
Hamilton: Both teams do. Everybody expected it to be a long, grinding series, with two or three point games every night, but it hasn’t gone that way.

Q: Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played like himself lately. What’s going on with him?
Hamilton: The thing about our team is that we’ve got great chemistry. Everybody’s stepping up. Everybody’s playing together. Rasheed’s the guy that goes out there and doesn’t really care about his own numbers, as long as we win the game. He’s done a great job, because he has to defend Tim Duncan with Ben [Wallace], and he’s been great on him. At times, he goes out and hits a lot of shots, and I think that he’s still got a big game in him.

Q: What have you guys been doing differently with Manu Ginobili the last two games?
Hamilton: We’ve been trying to keep a body on him at all times. When he tries to go into his move, we try to put pressure on him. We don’t want to allow him to be out there playing with the ball, going to the basket and things like that.

TAYSHAUN PRINCE

Q: On a team without a lot of all-stars, what are your thoughts on how unique and special it is to be a part of a team like this?
Prince: It’s definitely special. For the simple fact that nobody cares who gets the credit. Our style of basketball, which I think is different than a lot of others. We just go out there and play together and have fun. That’s the main thing. But it’s definitely special to be a part of something like that whereas, like you said, in previous situations there might be two or three all-stars on one team

Q: It’s seems like your team is made up of guys that nobody seemed to want at first. Does being in that situation help your teams’ success?
Prince: I don’t think that’s what fuels us. I think it’s the strive to never give up, which is most important. But everybody here has been in different situations before and now they get to a place where everybody is comfortable.

Q: You guys are known for playing hard all the time. Do you know why it wasn’t like that in the beginning?
Prince: We can sit here and say a lot of things. But all that matters now is that it’s going to be a best of three now. We just got through a tough seven game series with Miami and had to play right away. I was fatigued a little bit in Game 1. I thought Game 2 we got outright embarrassed. And now we had to come home and play desperate and that’s been the situation.

Q: Can you talk about just how much the tide has turned having won the last two games so decisively?
Prince: We’ve been playing great. We’ve been taking care of the basketball. Something that we had a tough time doing for the course of the season. But obviously rebounding and blocking shots and defense is pretty much the way we’re capable of playing and that’s what we did last night. Energy and effort is what I’ve been saying the last couple of games and that’s what’s been getting us over the hump.

Q: Is this as good as you guys can play right now?
Prince: This is close to it. And I think last night’s game and Game 3 was pretty much how we want to play. But it doesn’t mean nothing if you don’t continue to play the same way. So we have to continue to do that.

Q: Did Lindsey Hunter look as good on film as he did on the court last night?
Prince: Lindsey looked great. Lindsey looks great always. Last night he just did more as far as bringing offense to the tab. As far as looking for his shot, being aggressive but Lindsey is Lindsey for us. I think what he does for us defensively, he pretty much he brings it every night. So he just brought more offense to the table which was huge for us.

ducks
06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
TONY PARKER

Q: How tough has the matchup been with Chauncey Billups?
Parker: This series is not about matchups. It’s about how we’re playing, and we played softly in the last two games. I’m not thinking about [Chauncey], I’m thinking about setting the tone for the game, and trying to make some stuff happen for our team.

tp played the soft card LOOK OUT PISTONS!

exstatic
06-17-2005, 06:18 PM
When I always hear as a coach, well, I'd rather have the guys respect me than like me, that isn't me. I can't look down the bench and if I feel like, you know, I don't have a relationship with the 12th man, it bothers the heck out of me. When he doesn't play, it kills me. So I'll never change in that regard.

Dear coach,

I don't believe you.

Your favorite "asshole",

Carlos Delfino

timvp
06-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Q. Pop said last night that he may have talked to you more in the fourth quarter last night than he has over the last couple of days. We've seen that before in situations through your career where he's talking to you for a long period of time in blowout losses like that. Can you characterize what those conversations are like?

TIM DUNCAN: What did we talk about? I honestly don't really remember what we talked about. It's all kind of a blur at that time. I think we're both frustrated at that time. We're both, I don't want to say we're looking for answers, but we're both just kinds of in a daze. I know I am.

Sweet. The franchise player is in a daze.

Just what the Spurs needed.

SequSpur
06-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Inside Out?

That is why the Spurs are losing their ass.

If Pop would notice, the Pistons are camping out 3 defenders right under the basket. Our offense is not moving. Open shots are fucking passed up to drive the ball to the hole only to be stripped.

Also, does anyone know on the Spurs what the fuck a pump fake is when defenders run at you? It really fucking works.

Spurs just fucking suck now. Pisses me off.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Parker: Absolutely. [Game Five] is going to be a game where you’re going to see our character. It’s a game where we have to show a lot of heart and play a lot harder.

good response :smokin

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Now that he said it, he better go show it.

I think the Spurs are gonna get it done somehow. Sunday will determine who will be the champs.

T Park
06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Also, does anyone know on the Spurs what the fuck a pump fake is when defenders run at you? It really fucking works

Then they would get hit.

Timmy dont wanna be hit.

T Park
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Sweet. The franchise player is in a daze

cause hes a fuckin wuss.

They got tough with him, and hes cowering again.

Best power forward and player in the world my fucking ass.

SequSpur
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Also, why in the fuck does Barry keep handing the ball to his defender?

Does he play for the Pistons?

Also, didn't someone tell me he was a point guard at one time? LMFAO.

T Park
06-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Brandon Williams > Brent Barry

boutons
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Painful honesty from Pop (bad response to Pistons physical play)

Painful honesty from Tim (dazed)

Fuck honesty. Lie to me!!! :)

Spurs will never win another Title if they don't figure out some shit damn quick. Pop and Tim already saw this defense last May, and here we are in June 05, and they still don't know WTF to do.

Pistons aren't going to blow themselves up this summer.
Phil is re-loading in LA.
Skiles's boyz will be a year older and tougher.
Rockets could make some good personnel moves.
Avery might get Mavs to play better

Spurs Inside-out is dead because the inside can't get going.
Isn't there anything else to do?

Imagine Tim was not Mr. Franchise, and we didn't initiate 90% of the offense with an entry pass to Tim to score, but to make a play, then what? I'm too stupid to make a suggestion.

Damn, it sure sounds like the Spurs are ready to forked and fucked.

T Park
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm too stupid to make a suggestion

Then wtf are you bitching for.

smeagol
06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Spurs fans are unbelievable. A week ago it was:

"The beginning of a dynasty . . ."

"Spurs in 4 . . ."

"Lets get the brooms . . ."

Today its "Everybody will get better during the summer except the Spurs."

Whatever.

boutons
06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
"Then wtf are you bitching for."

With yourself as example, it's damn obvious intelligence isn't requisite for bitching.

Spuritista
06-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Spurs fans are unbelievable. A week ago it was:

"The beginning of a dynasty . . ."

"Spurs in 4 . . ."

"Lets get the brooms . . ."

Today its "Everybody will get better during the summer except the Spurs."

Whatever.

It's really sad. I wonder how many of these guys would say face to face to our players these things.
Nobody lost yet.
This team only need support of spursfans no matter what.

ca®lo
06-17-2005, 08:17 PM
nice words from tp!

i just hope he shows up on game 5.

Solid D
06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
The Spurs need to expect to be hit, wedge the ball between their bloody stumps, and shoot it with their stumps. Quit complaining or waiting for the officiating crews you had in games 1 and 2.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Quit complaining or waiting for the officiating crews you had in games 1 and 2.

That's what killed me in Game 4. They would almost turn their heads toward the refs before they had even made any contact. Just frickin' play!

ducks
06-18-2005, 12:02 AM
tIM DUNCAN: I have to be a leader. I am the leader of this team. So it starts with me, and I understand that. But at the same time, a lot of people are going to take responsibility into this next game, and I think Tony is going to really step up and really increase his play and increase his pressure and try to make things happen that way. Manu is going to take his time.

cheguevara
06-18-2005, 12:03 AM
tIM DUNCAN: I have to be a leader. I am the leader of this team. So it starts with me, and I understand that. But at the same time, a lot of people are going to take responsibility into this next game, and I think Tony is going to really step up and really increase his play and increase his pressure and try to make things happen that way. Manu is going to take his time.

he really said that??? sounds like C3PO

"I have to be a leader beeep beep, I'm programmed to lead beep beep"

ducks
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
yeah read the stuff from duncan
Q. Can you describe why that would be, that a player such as yourself has to sort of set that tone?
TIM DUNCAN: I have to be a leader. I am the leader of this team. So it starts with me, and I understand that. But at the same time, a lot of people are going to take responsibility into this next game, and I think Tony is going to really step up and really increase his play and increase his pressure and try to make things happen that way. Manu is going to take his time. Bruce is going to continue to do what he's going to do. So people are going to step up, and I believe personally and I think everybody believes it, it starts with me and it starts with what I'm doing for them.

cheguevara
06-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Tim Duncan before make-up:
http://web.sbu.edu/cs/roboticsLab/cs342sp04/Lab1/WagerHeissenberger/c3po.jpg

I hope he doesn't short circuit soon :lmao

MadDog73
06-18-2005, 12:11 AM
OK, this is going to be unpopular, but let's think worst case scenario for a second.

Worse case:
We are the second best team in the NBA. We are Champions of the Western Conference, arguably the tougher conference (World Champ Pistons excluded from that, of course).

Pop would have been beaten by his mentor, Larry Brown. That actually isn't too surprising.

If anyone thinks the Lakers are going to be Title Contenders next year, I have a miracle serum for you to drink.

I know everyone will jump my shit, but the Spurs have done great this year. Most of us expected a close series with Detroit, with the outcome almost as predictable as a coin toss.

And, most importantly, this series isn't even over yet! Can't we at least save the doom and gloom until the Pistons actually win the series, and not a couple of games?!?

cheguevara
06-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Ok, this is worse case scenario from me. Spurs will lose game 5, but they will actually fight, they will lose by less than 5 points. They will miraculously win game 6 by 1 point. And game 7 will go down as the closest game in Finals History, and Spurs will lose by 2 in overtime.

that's worse case scenario from me.