PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Blazers - Jan. 13

timvp
01-13-2012, 11:55 PM
The Spurs celebrated Friday the 13th with a wacky basketball game. To begin the affair, when San Antonio wasn't turning the ball over they were, well, turning the ball over. Their turnovers fueled Portland to 31-27 advantage at the end of the first quarter.

However, from then on out, the Spurs turned up their pressure on defense. A tie game entering the fourth, the Spurs outscored the Blazers 34-18 to coast to a 99-83 victory. While the first three quarters featured a lot of ugliness, the fourth was a beautiful sight for the fans in the AT&T Center.

How good was San Antonio's defense? After the Blazers hit 13-of-20 shots to begin the game, the Spurs held the Blazers to 32.8% shooting the rest of the way. That's the type of D that can take the Spurs to where they want to go.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2690/boxjan13.jpg

Tim Duncan C-
Sloppy. That's the one word to describe Tim Duncan's game tonight. It seemed like he bobbled the ball every time it was in his hands. Duncan's passes were getting deflected and the Blazers were making it difficult for him to dribble. He had five official turnovers but that doesn't begin to describe how sloppy his play was. Despite the difficulties, Duncan did help in some areas -- most notably on the boards.

Tony Parker B+
It was an uneven yet ultimately successful night for Tony Parker. To begin the night, he played a leading role in the Spurs turning the ball over ten times in the first quarter. Fortunately, Parker got better and better as the game progressed. To put the nail in the coffin, he scored ten straight points in less than two minutes in the fourth quarter. Throughout, the Spurs relied on Parker's playmaking and ballhandling. On defense, I thought he really stepped it up in the second half.

Richard Jefferson D+
Richard Jefferson struggled with his shooting for one of the rare times this season. He made things worse by playing lackluster defense for most of the night. Near the end, Jefferson showed some hustle -- but all in all it was an evening to forget. Let's hope that Jefferson soon realizes he has bigger shoes to fill with Ginobili out. He needs to be more than a spot-up shooter whose defense ebbs and flows depending on whether he's making his shots.

Kawhi Leonard A-
For the first three quarters, Kawhi Leonard was playing quality defense but was silent on the offensive end. In the fourth quarter, that all changed. With the game tied at 67, Leonard hit a three-pointer that keyed a 12-0 run. His three seemed to energize everybody -- including himself. Leonard finished the fourth with nine points and a half dozen great plays on defense. The rookie was arguably the best player on the court in the final stanza and he deserves a lot of credit for this win.

DeJuan Blair A-
Yeah, DeJuan Blair had his share of mistakes on defense. But, at this point, those are to be expected out of Blair. The rest of his game, however, was really good. He actually did great work on the defensive glass for the first time in a long while, which was great to see. Blair ran the court tremendously all night. He also was efficient scoring the ball and made a couple very good passes. Quality game.

Danny Green A+
Now THIS is how I want Danny Green to play. Instead of trying to do too much, Danny Green was the ultimate trashman. He was doing all the little things, whether it was getting back on defense, helping protect the rim, rotating quickly to thwart an open look, making the right pass or setting the right pick. He's not good enough to be a star. But Green is good enough to be a high-quality role player. His plus/minus tonight of +29 was absolutely no fluke.

Gary Neal C-
Well, point guard is going to be a challenge for Gary Neal. I can tell you that much for sure. The Blazers exposed his ballhandling, or lack thereof, and forced him into four quick turnovers. Neal just never looked comfortable running the show. Defensively, I thought he was actually pretty good, which is a huge change from any other point this season. That said, he really needs to clean up his offensive play or else Pop will be forced to look for another player to backup Parker.

Tiago Splitter A
Wow. I'm not sure if this was Tiago Splitter's best game of his career, but it was close. The Blazers tried to get away with putting smaller and lighter players on him but Splitter took advantage. He was physical and decisive with his moves and showed tons of confidence. When he wasn't scoring, he was making a great pass. I also loved his work protecting the rim and gobbling glass. The only thing that kept Splitter from going completely nuts was the fact that he played only 20 minutes.

James Anderson C+
In his first run, James Anderson looked better than he had all season. He wasn't hesitating and he was finishing off plays. Unfortunately, Anderson reverted back to his normal underwhelming self in the second half. Baby steps? Better than nothing.

Matt Bonner C-
Matt Bonner was on the court just long enough to get abused by LaMarcus Aldridge. Tonight, Bonner looked especially landlocked.

Cory Joseph Inc.
In his two minutes of garbage time, Cory Joseph had a nice finish at the rim and a good look to find a backdoor cutter. With Neal's struggles, Joseph is probably close to getting the call for real action.

Malcolm Thomas Inc.
There was actually a Spur roaming around the court looking to block shots. We haven't seen that in a while. Welcome to San Antonio, Malcolm Thomas.

Pop B-
Pop's confidence in Leonard paid off in the fourth quarter. Beating a powerhouse in the West without playing Duncan too much is a plus. He's been yelling a lot at Green in recent games and Green apparently heard the messages loud and clear. I like how Pop kept athletes in the game most of the time when he went small. That said, the aspect that stuck out like a sore thumb was Splitter's lack of playing time. When he has it going like he had it going tonight, Pop needs to ride him. If nothing else, Pop has to allow Splitter's confidence to grow.

ggoose25
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
right on tonight. I like fourth quarter TP and KL

callo1
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
In defense of RJ, he got in and with hustle and effort still made some big plays. C

I was waiting on the Shamu comment from Sean when TD dished the ball of to Blair and he went sliding across the floor:lol

Brazil
01-14-2012, 12:04 AM
No Tiago on the fourth was totally unexpected

Interrohater
Great takes, thanks

WeNeedLength
I thought the second unit played VASTLY better than the starting unit. I agree that CJ needs to take the role that Neal is failing to fulfill. Great game!

Bender
01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
splitter was banging tonight... and showing some emotion. I'm surprised he only played 20 min. He should play 25 or 30 at least.

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:06 AM
12 points in fourth
3 straight games parker has been in the 20 points

15 steals for portland wow

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Parker has learned a a few things from his Master, Manu

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:08 AM
no tp finally gets to shine in the 4 now that ball hog manu in the 4 is benched again crying I am hurt

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:09 AM
no tp finally gets to shine in the 4 now that ball hog manu in the 4 is benched again crying I am hurt
THe irony :lmao

TP is not a ballhog ? :lmao

GSH
01-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Gary Neal C-
Well, point guard is going to be a challenge for Gary Neal. I can tell you that much for sure. The Blazers exposed his ballhandling, or lack thereof, and forced him into four quick turnovers. Neal just never looked comfortable running the show. Defensively, I thought he was actually pretty good, which is a huge change from any other point this season. That said, he really needs to clean up his offensive play or else Pop will be forced to look for another player to backup Parker.

This isn't fair to Neal. Your grade is fair - but forcing him into this situation isn't. The guy is a cold-blooded assasin, but he isn't a point guard. I hope Pop is capable of remembering that this is a game played by human beings, and the psychological aspect counts.

James Anderson C+
In his first run, James Anderson looked better than he had all season. He wasn't hesitating and he was finishing off plays. Unfortunately, Anderson reverted back to his normal underwhelming self in the second half. Baby steps? Better than nothing.

I still remember the James Anderson we saw at the beginning of last season. That was a really unfortunate accident, and it had to be hard watching Neal come in and take over those minutes. I still think he's got game. I hope he finds his confidence.

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:11 AM
9 dimes again tonight
should have been 15 or so
wide open looks but spur players missed the shot

timvp
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
9 dimes again tonight
should have been 15 or so
wide open looks but spur players missed the shot

Bru, his teammates shot 52%, how much better you want them to shoot?

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:15 AM
just make the shots that come from tp

wink

benefactor
01-14-2012, 12:15 AM
ducks with the "mid-season form" ducks takes.

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
ducks with the "mid-season form" ducks takes.

not my fault manu usually is hurt by mid season

benefactor
01-14-2012, 12:18 AM
ducks

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:18 AM
not my fault manu usually is hurt by mid season
That's because he plays hard, not like that pussy TP

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:19 AM
so if you get hurt you play hard oh

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:19 AM
ford must be like manu he is always hurt to

GSH
01-14-2012, 12:20 AM
LMAO - the devolution of a feel-good thread.

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
ford must be like manu he is always hurt to
Well at least he plays hard ...

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:23 AM
atleast ford is not paid what manu is for playing hard

200k a game to cheer is stupid

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:24 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX8hrZfTlQb1oOCt1rhFhz8bgh_IR1u D5MmOZpUbNi4Ydpoc6ws3ZlacY2qw

TJastal
01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Danny Green A+
Now THIS is how I want Danny Green to play. Instead of trying to do too much, Danny Green was the ultimate trashman. He was doing all the little things, whether it was getting back on defense, helping protect the rim, rotating quickly to thwart an open look, making the right pass or setting the right pick. He's not good enough to be a star. But Green is good enough to be a high-quality role player. His plus/minus tonight of +29 was absolutely no fluke.

Green has the talent to be more than just a role player, IMO. Bowen didn't put up great numbers either and nobody would say he was just a role player. And Green impacts a game in even more ways IMO.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 12:31 AM
That's because he plays hard, not like that pussy TP

Lefty has started his duck hunting season by not holding back.

:lol

lefty
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Lefty has started his duck hunting season by not holding back.

http://gifsoup.com/view/226519/contra-vs-duck-hunt-o.gif

DPG21920
01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
I said the same thing last year and I'll say it again: there is really no other team that has to manage minutes to their best players and can still win. The Spurs win % in the past couple years when looking at the average minutes for their big 3 compared to other teams is astounding. I made the argument that even though it's great, these big 3 won't net you much more production with playoff minutes. They grow to be conditioned to play that amount of minutes and it's more about preventing injury than keeping fresh IMO.

Free Tiago. I've said this since he arrived and pop has to start playing him. I kind of get that the team was hot in the 4th and pulling away but he has to play more.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I said the same thing last year and I'll say it again: there is really no other team that has to manage minutes to their best players and can still win. The Spurs win % in the past couple years when looking at the average minutes for their big 3 compared to other teams is astounding. I made the argument that even though it's great, these big 3 won't net you much more production with playoff minutes. They grow to be conditioned to play that amount of minutes and it's more about preventing injury than keeping fresh IMO.

Free Tiago. I've said this since he arrived and pop has to start playing him. I kind of get that the team was hot in the 4th and pulling away but he has to play more.

You gotta think Pop will be forced to play him more, considering what he has on the bench. You'd think?!

ElNono
01-14-2012, 12:38 AM

:lmao

TMTTRIO
01-14-2012, 12:38 AM
That was a great game and those are good scores. Also one thing I noticed that during timeouts tonight Manu was very active into talking to different players about things (especially Tiago). Manu usually doesn't do that kind of stuff when he's injured and stuck sitting behind the bench.

ElNono
01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
thanks for the writeup

Cant_Be_Faded
01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Gary neal is well on his way to becoming rmj 2. Playing point guard is going to destroy his confidence.

DPG21920
01-14-2012, 12:43 AM
I don't think Gary has a confidence problem. He sucks at pg on most nights but if you put him in his proper role he'll be fine.

FvckMavs
01-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Great writeup. Thanks!

LakerHater
01-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Green might do a better job as the back up point!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-14-2012, 12:49 AM
It baffles me (and obviously everyone else) that Splitter doesn't play 30mpg. Is Pop worried about his conditioning? Injuries? Whatever it is, time he got over it and played the guy proper minutes.

Bill_Brasky
01-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Gary neal is well on his way to becoming rmj 2. Playing point guard is going to destroy his confidence.

This comparison again...smh

Just stop.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Gary neal has been total crap this season other than first quarter of mavs game.

SA210
01-14-2012, 12:56 AM

:rollin:lol:lmao

GSH
01-14-2012, 12:57 AM

I tried to ask you this in the game thread, but it was after most people left it. Do you think Splitter can handle longer stretches without getting gassed? I thought tonight when Pop took him out, he was looking like he was ready to take a breather. And I remember in the Memphis game, Blair got in foul trouble and Splitter did extra duty - he looked a little gassed there, too.

I'm not trying to pick a fight about it - I seriously wonder what you think. I know some big guys have endurance problems. (Heart size, oxygen to the muscles, and like that.) I know he had some stamina issues last season, but I thought that was probably because of missing camp. This year I wonder if he's really getting tired, or if it's my expectations left over from last year. Is he a guy that could stay in for long stretches if he had to, without diminishing results?

angelbelow
01-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Fun game tonight. Would have like to see Splitter play more but the 4th quarter squad was really on a nice roll.

Manufan909
01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Malcolm Thomas Inc.
There was actually a Spur roaming around the court looking to block shots. We haven't seen that in a while. Welcome to San Antonio, Malcolm Thomas.

Great take as always, but I have to point out that Splitter has already had two games this season with 3 blocks, and at least two games with 2 blocks. He might not be known as a "shot blocker" per se, but he has been putting in work this year. Iirc you said he had only 17 blocked shots last year, and he already has 15 blocks in 12 games this year. He was all about taking charges on D last year, why do you think he's switched the ratio between the two this year?

SA210
01-14-2012, 01:01 AM

DPG21920
01-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I tried to ask you this in the game thread, but it was after most people left it. Do you think Splitter can handle longer stretches without getting gassed? I thought tonight when Pop took him out, he was looking like he was ready to take a breather. And I remember in the Memphis game, Blair got in foul trouble and Splitter did extra duty - he looked a little gassed there, too.

I'm not trying to pick a fight about it - I seriously wonder what you think. I know some big guys have endurance problems. (Heart size, oxygen to the muscles, and like that.) I know he had some stamina issues last season, but I thought that was probably because of missing camp. This year I wonder if he's really getting tired, or if it's my expectations left over from last year. Is he a guy that could stay in for long stretches if he had to, without diminishing results?

My bad, I replied a little late in the game thread. I think it's an issue that goes beyond just tonight; at least to me. Since Tiago has been here, I think he's deserved a shot at more minutes. Not because he was guaranteed success, but because he was the only one with enough upside to change the tides. I don't see why he would have an endurance issue considering he played a lot of high quality minutes before he got the the Spurs and he is young. When you get inconsistent minutes he might be winded, but you have to give it to him consistently so he can build up in my opinion.

jason1301
01-14-2012, 01:07 AM
thiago was exhausted, that's why he didn't play in the 4th.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Gary neal has been total crap this season other than first quarter of mavs game.

And the more disturbing thing is Pop has barely even started the tinkering with roles and minutes yet. Season's young yet.

GSH
01-14-2012, 01:10 AM
My bad, I replied a little late in the game thread. I think it's an issue that goes beyond just tonight; at least to me. Since Tiago has been here, I think he's deserved a shot at more minutes. Not because he was guaranteed success, but because he was the only one with enough upside to change the tides. I don't see why he would have an endurance issue considering he played a lot of high quality minutes before he got the the Spurs and he is young. When you get inconsistent minutes he might be winded, but you have to give it to him consistently so he can build up in my opinion.

I hope he gets a shot to prove you right. He was awesome tonight. That's what everyone was hoping for, when we were begging for him to hurry up and get here.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 01:13 AM

Exactly DPG. The more Pop sits and dicks around with Splitter's minutes and role, the less prepared he will be come playoffs (physically from a conditioning standpoint & mentally). Granted he's been getting more consistent burn than last year but really we needed him to be getting this year's minutes last year.

Mel_13
That said, the aspect that stuck out like a sore thumb was Splitter's lack of playing time. When he has it going like he had it going tonight, Pop needs to ride him. If nothing else, Pop has to allow Splitter's confidence to grow.

Thanks for the write-up as usual.

I'm not sure where additional minutes for Tiago were supposed to come from tonight. He played 9 minutes bridging the first and second quarters in the first half.

In the second half, he came in after Blair's foul in the first minute of the 3rd quarter and then played the next 11 minutes and put the team on his back at both ends for the last five minutes of that stretch.

He sat down for a well-deserved breather with less than 30 seconds left in the 3rd and was on the bench at the beginning of the 4th when the group on the floor opened the quarter on a 14-2 run in the first 3+ minutes and then maintained a double digit lead for all but one possession the rest of the way. There was never a need to get Tim or Tiago back into the game. Even if the score had been closer, Portland stayed small and Pop probably would have replaced Blair with Tim if the outcome was ever in doubt.

To me, Tiago has clearly earned Pop's trust and I believe we'll see him next to Tim to close out games against conventional line-ups as in the Houston game. He would have had about 8-9 more minutes in that game except for foul trouble in the first half and Houston playing midget ball the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter (Tiago had just subbed in to close out the game next to Tim when Houston replaced Hill and Patterson with Scola and Parsons. When Houston started the OT with Dalembert and Scola, Tiago was put back in).

DPG21920
I love what Tiago has done so far but I'm not sold 100% that he's the stud I think he is (and I use that term loosely obviously). The point really is that pass or fail, he has to be given more minutes because he's the only one that can make a significant enough impact if things go well to really help.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 01:16 AM

I'm not sure where additional minutes for Tiago were supposed to come from tonight. He played 9 minutes bridging the first and second quarters in the first half.

In the second half, he came in after Blair's foul in the first minute of the 3rd quarter and then played the next 11 minutes and put the team on his back at both ends for the last five minutes of that stretch.

He sat down for a well-deserved breather with less than 30 seconds left in the 3rd and was on the bench at the beginning of the 4th when the group on the floor opened the quarter on a 14-2 run in the first 3+ minutes and then maintained a double digit lead for all but one possession the rest of the way. There was never a need to get Tim or Tiago back into the game. Even if the score had been closer, Portland stayed small and Pop probably would have replaced Blair with Tim if the outcome was ever in doubt.

To me, Tiago has clearly earned Pop's trust and I believe we'll see him next to Tim to close out games against conventional line-ups as in the Houston game. He would have had about 8-9 more minutes in that game except for foul trouble in the first half and Houston playing midget ball the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter (Tiago had just subbed in to close out the game next to Tim when Houston replaced Hill and Patterson with Scola and Parsons. When Houston started the OT with Dalembert and Scola, Tiago was put back in).

I'll start believing in this "trust" you claim has occured when we start seeing the proof out on the court.

Mel_13
01-14-2012, 01:16 AM
I'll start believing in this "trust" you claim has occured when we start seeing the proof out on the court.

Just watch the games.

mailboogie52
01-14-2012, 02:09 AM
TimMVP Why do you hate Bonner so much? Your write up on the game was fairly close to what happened. EXCEPT LA did not abuse Bonner. He scored all of 2 points while Bonner was on the court and Bonner made his one 3 pt attempt. His grade should have been INC because he only played 6 mins. If you are going to make the write up at least watch objectively on ALL the players and not hate on Bonner because you dont like how he is used. Bonner is not an inside threat and never will be, but he does he ROLE as well as any other player on the team.

jjktkk
01-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Just watch the games.

Your going to take all the fun out of it for tjastal if he can't nitpick Pop's every move. :lol

timvp
01-14-2012, 02:12 AM
TimMVP Why do you hate Bonner so much? Your write up on the game was fairly close to what happened. EXCEPT LA did not abuse Bonner. He scored all of 2 points while Bonner was on the court and Bonner made his one 3 pt attempt. His grade should have been INC because he only played 6 mins. If you are going to make the write up at least watch objectively on ALL the players and not hate on me because you dont like how he is used. Bonner is not an inside threat and never will be, but he does he ROLE as well as any other player on the team.

mailboogie52. MB52. Matt Bonner 52. Matt Bonner wore 52 in high school :wow

Welcome to, ST :tu

Edit: Your edit wasn't quick enough :smokin

Mel_13
01-14-2012, 02:14 AM
mailboogie52. MB52. Matt Bonner 52. Matt Bonner wore 52 in high school :wow

Welcome to, ST :tu

Edit: Your edit wasn't quick enough :smokin

:lmao

TJastal
01-14-2012, 02:15 AM
TimMVP Why do you hate Bonner so much? Your write up on the game was fairly close to what happened. EXCEPT LA did not abuse Bonner. He scored all of 2 points while Bonner was on the court and Bonner made his one 3 pt attempt. His grade should have been INC because he only played 6 mins. If you are going to make the write up at least watch objectively on ALL the players and not hate on Bonner because you dont like how he is used. Bonner is not an inside threat and never will be, but he does he ROLE as well as any other player on the team.

Bonner's guy more often than not doesn't score alot because the rest of the guys on the court are trained to the fact they need to cheat over to give him help defense constantly. Then it's usually their own covers that go off.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Your going to take all the fun out of it for tjastal if he can't nitpick Pop's every move. :lol

Complaining about Splitter's lack of playing time isn't nitpicking anything considering the lack of defense that we've seen so far this year. Or perhaps you're just happy seeing your hero Matt Bonner playing his usual 25-30 minutes a game.

timvp
01-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Great take as always, but I have to point out that Splitter has already had two games this season with 3 blocks, and at least two games with 2 blocks. He might not be known as a "shot blocker" per se, but he has been putting in work this year. Iirc you said he had only 17 blocked shots last year, and he already has 15 blocks in 12 games this year. He was all about taking charges on D last year, why do you think he's switched the ratio between the two this year?Regarding Thomas, he was searching out shots to block. I view that differently than what Splitter does, which is defend the hoop when drivers invade his area. But it's probably semantics.

As far as why Splitter is blocking shots more this year, it has to be something the coaching staff emphasized. He was a horrible shot blocker in Europe. IIRC, he blocked less shots than Scola. But in Europe, he also had to conserve his fouls since the team's offense depended on him so much.

I'm sure the coaching staff told him that he needed to start contesting shots more often and not just rely on flopping. Now that I think about it, he really hasn't flopped that much this year. Splitter's game is becoming more Americanized, I guess we can say.

Green has the talent to be more than just a role player, IMO. Bowen didn't put up great numbers either and nobody would say he was just a role player. And Green impacts a game in even more ways IMO.

Does that say what I think it says?

jjktkk
01-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Complaining about Splitter's lack of playing time isn't nitpicking anything considering the lack of defense that we've seen so far this year. Or perhaps you're just happy seeing your hero Matt Bonner playing his usual 25-30 minutes a game.

Your so full of shit tjastal, I need to wear some boots before reading most of your posts. :lol

TJastal
01-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Your so full of shit tjastal, I need to wear some boots before reading most of your posts. :lol

Cool quote bro. I might coin that and use it some time.

timvp
01-14-2012, 02:34 AM

He sat down for a well-deserved breather with less than 30 seconds left in the 3rd and was on the bench at the beginning of the 4th when the group on the floor opened the quarter on a 14-2 run in the first 3+ minutes and then maintained a double digit lead for all but one possession the rest of the way. There was never a need to get Tim or Tiago back into the game. Even if the score had been closer, Portland stayed small and Pop probably would have replaced Blair with Tim if the outcome was ever in doubt. Quality take.

In the second quarter, I thought Pop should have gone back to Splitter and let Duncan rest until halftime. Even when Pop pulled Duncan late in the second, he went to Bonner instead (he then changed his mind a few seconds later after the Blazers went small).

In the fourth, even though things were rolling and the Blazers were small, it would have been nice to get Splitter in there just to build off his very good effort. True, he wasn't needed but at this point I'm for Pop force feeding Splitter as many minutes as possible.

But overall, you are probably right. Unless Pop was specifically thinking about giving Splitter extra minutes, the flow of the game didn't deem it necessary.

To me, Tiago has clearly earned Pop's trust and I believe we'll see him next to Tim to close out games against conventional line-ups as in the Houston game.

I hope you are right. I'm not convinced yet but that Rockets game was a good sign.

jjktkk
01-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Cool quote bro. I might coin that and use it some time.

Always willing to help out a "bro". :lol

baseline bum
01-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Great to see the defense back in town tonight.

Fireball
01-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Tiago nearly played all of the third quarter and as Sean Elliott said his constant setting of screens etc. is very exhausting. But even if he was tired, I see no problem putting him back for the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter. Since everything went well tonight with the small lineup to finish the game, I will not complain too much. But it really does not boost confidence.

TJastal
01-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Quality take.

In the second quarter, I thought Pop should have gone back to Splitter and let Duncan rest until halftime. Even when Pop pulled Duncan late in the second, he went to Bonner instead (he then changed his mind a few seconds later after the Blazers went small).

In the fourth, even though things were rolling and the Blazers were small, it would have been nice to get Splitter in there just to build off his very good effort. True, he wasn't needed but at this point I'm for Pop force feeding Splitter as many minutes as possible.

But overall, you are probably right. Unless Pop was specifically thinking about giving Splitter extra minutes, the flow of the game didn't deem it necessary..

So getting Splitter into excellent game shape isn't necessary? ... Well I think it is! I guarantee you when the playoffs roll around and suddenly Pooped realizes Bonner ain't cuttin' it and extends Tiago's PT an extra 5-10 minutes a game he'll be huffing and puffing up and down the court and gassed.

SenorSpur
01-14-2012, 03:13 AM
This isn't fair to Neal. Your grade is fair - but forcing him into this situation isn't. The guy is a cold-blooded assasin, but he isn't a point guard. I hope Pop is capable of remembering that this is a game played by human beings, and the psychological aspect counts.

It also seems that being forced into a backup PG role has affected Neal's shooting - at least in this most recent game. He missed several wide open 3's. Overall, he just doesn't look comfortable. I concur that Pop needs to allow Neal to return to his familiar backup SG role. CJ should assume the role as primary backup for Parker until such time as Ford returns.

rmt
01-14-2012, 03:26 AM
It also seems that being forced into a backup PG role has affected Neal's shooting - at least in this most recent game. He missed several wide open 3's. Overall, he just doesn't look comfortable. I concur that Pop needs to allow Neal to return to his familiar backup SG role. CJ should assume the role as primary backup for Parker until such time as Ford returns.

Don't think Pop is going to do this. He has Leonard starting at SG - then there's DG and JA - too crowded. Neal looks kinda dejected - I'm sure he worked hard at his ball-handling over the summer since Spurs had told him to be prepared to back up TP.

Pop needs to give Tiago more minutes - don't see why he can't play over 30 minutes every night. Can't stand to see small ball with Blair at center or Bonner on the court at all. Tiago's the one with the most upside and size. I'm still not convinced that Blair can be effective in the playoffs - too short.

will_spurs
01-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Nice to see Leonard and Green emerge as quality contributors, and Pop finally trusting Splitter. However it remains to be seen if Pop is going to change his plans for the playoffs and ruin it all like last year, when he decided to drop the run&gun for a defense that wasn't there (and had never been).

I also wonder what Parker has to do to deserve an A. Your expectations are getting quite unrealistic at this point.

analyzed
01-14-2012, 04:30 AM
BTW Splitter has shown decent lateral mobility to stay with mobile bigs on defense(Dirk, Aldridge and Scola) this has come as surprise for me. His on the ball defense on mobile scoring bigs has been surprising as well as his protecting of the rim defense) This really gives us a clue of who pop might put on opposing best scorers in the playoffs

Splitter on Aldridge/Dirk/Gasol/Randolph/Nene/Griffin

leonard on Durant/Odom/Wallace/Kobe

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2012, 04:41 AM
tonight showed if the ball goes into the basket, splitter = A+

if it doesnt go into the basket, timvp will find ways to trash him...

as long his aggressive on the offensive end gettin into position and putting more curve onto his floaters....his not afraid to body up down low...

MannyIsGod
01-14-2012, 04:52 AM
This team is much more fun to watch on a nightly basis than some of the more talented Spurs team in the past 15 years that underachieved. Think 2001 and 2002.

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2012, 05:07 AM
This team is much more fun to watch on a nightly basis than some of the more talented Spurs team in the past 15 years that underachieved. Think 2001 and 2002.

its fun to watch when you have 3-4 guys still developing and just milking every opportunity proving us wrong...

i cant wait till the team is a well oiled machine....

imo i think splitter is already there at the summit we think he should be playing at,

just need guys like blair, leonard, green, neal, anderson to play at a consistent level, then we got ourselves a very competitive team....

and to think we would be happy playing .400 basketball with manu out, but so far we are winning the games that we arent favourites to win

therealtruth
01-14-2012, 05:19 AM
BTW Splitter has shown decent lateral mobility to stay with mobile bigs on defense(Dirk, Aldridge and Scola) this has come as surprise for me. His on the ball defense on mobile scoring bigs has been surprising as well as his protecting of the rim defense) This really gives us a clue of who pop might put on opposing best scorers in the playoffs

Splitter on Aldridge/Dirk/Gasol/Randolph/Nene/Griffin

leonard on Durant/Odom/Wallace/Kobe

That's why he's got to start. He's going to be needed to stop those guys in a playoff series. No point taking a chance those guys get hot early.

therealtruth
01-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Nice to see Leonard and Green emerge as quality contributors, and Pop finally trusting Splitter. However it remains to be seen if Pop is going to change his plans for the playoffs and ruin it all like last year, when he decided to drop the run&gun for a defense that wasn't there (and had never been).

Pop didn't change from run and gun in the playoffs. It seemed that way because the Grizzlies controlled the tempo. The Spurs wanted to run more but the Grizzlies wanted a more grind it out game where the Spurs were forced to play more half-court.

Cry Havoc
01-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Tiago gets only 20 minutes tonight and is our second leading scorer. He was 5-5 from the field. Wtf Pop.

Josepatches_
01-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Splitter can play much better...

He was great here.Overall at the same level of Scola o Marc Gasol.He had very similar impact in the game.

He missed last year. He lost his rythm,he lost confidence. But now he must start and he should play more.

There is no reason why Splitter isn't playing around 25 mpg. We must play our best players.

Slippy
01-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Greatest feature of this game was Pop dictated match-ups instead of responding. He should of built on it by playing Splitter in the 4th.

Buddy Holly
01-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Tiago gets only 20 minutes tonight and is our second leading scorer. He was 5-5 from the field. Wtf Pop.

Neither him or Tim were needed in the 4th.

Pop played it smart.

benefactor
01-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Indeed. For years we have begged and pleaded for the youth movement to start in SA. It looks like we finally got our wish.

The best part about it is that it helps with the transition out of the era of the Big 3. We are not forced to watch Duncan/Parker/Manu try to carry a team that is trying to recapture some sort of past glory. Instead we get to watch a team of motivated young players that are stepping up and doing what needs to be done to get wins...young players that are doing a fine job at paying homage to what got this franchise all it's rings in the first place.

Defense.

wildbill2u
01-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Leonard getting 34 minutes and starts at SG. Who knew he could play SG at this level and not hurt the team?

Did anyone predict we'd be playing this well without Manu? And now Ford is out too. But somehow the train keeps moving down the track.

POP you crafty devil, you are the master at plugging players into the rotation where they can use their skills best to get the job done.

Seriously, we dont appreciate Pop enough for HIS coaching skills.

Manu-of-steel
01-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Indeed. For years we have begged and pleaded for the youth movement to start in SA. It looks like we finally got our wish.

The best part about it is that it helps with the transition out of the era of the Big 3. We are not forced to watch Duncan/Parker/Manu try to carry a team that is trying to recapture some sort of past glory. Instead we get to watch a team of motivated young players that are stepping up and doing what needs to be done to get wins...young players that are doing a fine job at paying homage to what got this franchise all it's rings in the first place.

Defense.

Agree!

tmtcsc
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Easily the most impressive win of the year. I thought this team was toast after Manu's injury and was giving serious support to the thought of tanking.

However, Danny Green's defense and the team defense overall has given me reason to think differently. I certainly didn't see this coming. Tiago has also improved greatly since last year.

IF this team can somehow find a way to put this type of effort and win together on the road, they'll be legit.

Mel_13
01-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Defense.

Leonard getting 34 minutes and starts at SG. Who knew he could play SG at this level and not hurt the team?

Did anyone predict we'd be playing this well without Manu? And now Ford is out too. But somehow the train keeps moving down the track.

POP you crafty devil, you are the master at plugging players into the rotation where they can use their skills best to get the job done.

Seriously, we dont appreciate Pop enough for HIS coaching skills.

Easily the most impressive win of the year. I thought this team was toast after Manu's injury and was giving serious support to the thought of tanking.

However, Danny Green's defense and the team defense overall has given me reason to think differently. I certainly didn't see this coming. Tiago has also improved greatly since last year.

IF this team can somehow find a way to put this type of effort and win together on the road, they'll be legit.

There's actually a buzz in the arena these days. If you stop worrying so much about the destination, you can really enjoy the ride.

weebo
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Going into the PO, the single most important key to having success is health. So in that respect you're correct. Pop is managing their minutes not so much to keep them fresh but to keep them from injury caused by the grind of a long season.

TMTTRIO
01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
This is great to see. In fact the young guys are playing so well all together and starting to build a lot of confidence from the major playing time they're getting I’m almost wondering how bringing Manu back when he finally gets well will affect their confidence and chemistry out there on the court? Well anyways for now we don't have to worry about that and they can continue to get some good quality playing time.

pjjrfan
01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
The Kiddie Corp would be a great name for this group.

pjjrfan
01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
This is great to see. In fact the young guys are playing so well all together and starting to build a lot of confidence from the major playing time they're getting I’m almost wondering how bringing Manu back when he finally gets well will affect their confidence and chemistry out there on the court? Well anyways for now we don't have to worry about that and they can continue to get some good quality playing time.

When Manu comes back he will have a field day running with these guys or vice versa. Whenever someone new is added the mix the guy they play better with has been Manu, Manu makes guys around him better much like Tim did when he was dominant. I just see it as a blessing that when Manu comes back these guys will have a better sense of what they can do out in the court. That will be to the team's and Manu's benefit.

acoelho1
01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I said this in another thread that Green, Leonard and Splitter need to get at least 25mins each game, which they almost reached tonight until Pop inexplicably decided not to play TS in the 4th. We are clearly a better defensive team with these guys on the court.

Also, Green has been the most impressive of all in my opinion. Although a totally different player than Ginobili, they are similar in that they make things happen on both ends. I do not agree that Green is simply a role player and his defense alone should warrant significant minutes.

Lastly, I think Jefferson should come off the bench. He doesn't bring the aggressiveness on the defensive end that I would like to see and unless he is hitting his 3's, he is nonexistent. He will hurt us in the playoffs like last year so I would start Green in his place.

Bender
01-14-2012, 10:53 AM
when the cameras showed pop yelling on the sidelines, I think it was around 8 min. left in the game, I wonder what it was about... It might have been after a spur got an offensive foul called on him... maybe it was blair.

I always wonder if he's yelling encouragement, or if he's pissed off about something.

SenorSpur
01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Pop didn't change from run and gun in the playoffs. It seemed that way because the Grizzlies controlled the tempo. The Spurs wanted to run more but the Grizzlies wanted a more grind it out game where the Spurs were forced to play more half-court.

A strategy that should not be foreign to the Spurs. After all, they did the same thing to the Suns repeatedly in the playoffs during their chanmpionship years. They controlled the tempo and deliberately forced them into a grind-it-out, half-court-type game, which was not the Suns strength.

Now the Spurs defense has slipped, they've employed a more run-n-gun-type offense. They've devolved into a psuedo-version of the Suns.

My how things have changed.

SenorSpur
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Defense.

Agree too!

timvp
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
when the cameras showed pop yelling on the sidelines, I think it was around 8 min. left in the game, I wonder what it was about... It might have been after a spur got an offensive foul called on him... maybe it was blair.

I always wonder if he's yelling encouragement, or if he's pissed off about something.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this:

In the fourth quarter, Pop actually switched Danny Green to point guard. On one possession when Neal brought it up, Pop yelled at Neal and pointed at Green saying: "He brings it up, not you!" From then on out, Green was the point guard.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop sticks with Neal, switches to Green or uses Joseph.

GSH
01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you're talking about this:

In the fourth quarter, Pop actually switched Danny Green to point guard. On one possession when Neal brought it up, Pop yelled at Neal and pointed at Green saying: "He brings it up, not you!" From then on out, Green was the point guard.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop sticks with Neal, switches to Green or uses Joseph.

When they bring a trap on Neal, he coughs the ball up a lot. He did the same thing last year. And it was the same way with RMJ before him. It's a big problem.

I've got my doubts about Green at the point. But so far, he's at least been pretty good about not giving the ball up under pressure. I'm all for having less than 23 turnovers in a game. But I really wish he'd at least give Cory Joseph a shot. If they aren't going to use him in a situation like this, they aren't going to use him ever. They should have left him in the D-League to get some experience.

Bruno
01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Even if it's a very good win, I had to admit that Spurs got lucky on that one. Aldridge was killing Spurs but got in foul troubles. Camby has always been a pain in the ass for Parker and his injury has allowed Parker to dominate the 4th quarter.

Regarding the grades, I find C+ for Anderson harsh. Aside of a bad drive, he played well. Defensively he played some solid basketball too. After some bad games, he deserves some props for this one.

rasho8
01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Great write up timVP, although Bonner is correct. He should have been given a Inc. I'm still hoping he will get back not form and start hitting 3s. There is no reason that in smaller lineups he can't rain 3 s like last season with Splitter holding down the middle.

Wish he would do it in the playoffs as well.

dylankerouac
01-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I really enjoyed watching this game last night. I was worried with all the turnovers in the first quarter. All of a sudden LA had something like 15 points if I recall within the first 17 minutes of the game. When he hit his 15th point I immediately told myself I would be happy if we could keep him to 30 points with a remaining 31 minutes in the game. He ended up with 29!!!

Third quarter Tiago was amazing.

Danny Green's defense and blocks were great!

Leonard's steal of Aldridge (in the fourth?) was pretty sweet too, though I couldn't tell if it was by luck or by design.

4th Quarter Parker coming in and getting straight to business and back to the .500 marker for his shots was terrific. I like!

TD 21
01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
How are the Trail Blazers a "powerhouse in the West"? And if they are, then what does that make the Spurs?

The best thing about this win was that it wasn't what one would expect if they were going to win. Meaning, Parker didn't have to go nuts, Duncan didn't have to have a throwback game and they didn't shoot the lights out from three. It was just a good, solid all around performance (other than the ridiculous amount of turnovers).

What once seemed unthinkable might be on the verge of happening: Neal and Bonner may be on the fringe of the rotation, once (or if) this team get's healthy. Let's face it, if Green is going to shoot even close to Neal from three, then how can he not play ahead of him? And if Leonard can guard a good amount of power forwards and Splitter continues to play more next to Duncan, then is Bonner really needed in the regular rotation? Obviously, Leonard is nowhere near the shooter Bonner is, but as a power forward, the mere fact that he can make the occasional mid to long range shot is good enough. With Anderson already firmly entrenched as a non rotation player, that would make three out of the projected top four subs entering the season, non rotation players.

As much as I like Neal, I wouldn't be against this radical shift. I thought they'd need him to play a bigger role with Hill traded and Ginobili injured, yet somehow this team is still thriving offensively. So long as Green and Leonard are not going to be offensive liabilities, then they should absolutely stay in the top nine.

timvp
01-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Leonard's steal of Aldridge (in the fourth?) was pretty sweet too, though I couldn't tell if it was by luck or by design.

It was by design. Pop had Kawhi doubling from along the baseline for much of the second half. On that one, it was good work by Kawhi in covering Batum's cut to the paint and then sneaking in behind LA.

How are the Trail Blazers a "powerhouse in the West"? The Blazers had the second best record in the West despite having the second most difficult schedule in the NBA to date. Call that what you wish.

dylankerouac
01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
It was by design. Pop had Kawhi doubling from along the baseline for much of the second half. On that one, it was good work by Kawhi in covering Batum's cut to the paint and then sneaking in behind LA.

Ah, yeah I had seen this play earlier in the game without the turnover. In fact KL didn't attempt a swipe at the ball, so I guess the first go was to learn how LA operated. Second time he made LA pay with the turnover. This might say something about the speed in which KL learns something.

I also thought Tim was either a little gassed, though I wouldn't say he looked gassed, or if he was just having an off game. On the other hand, today I saw he had 9 rebounds, so if 9 rebounds is an off game in 21 minutes of play I must be nuts for even suggesting he looked off.

TD 21
01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
The Blazers had the second best record in the West despite having the second most difficult schedule in the NBA to date. Call that what you wish.

Thank you for the history lesson. Now here's another one: The Spurs are a half game better in the standings, are a plus 1.99 in point differential and have played only one more game at home, while playing the same amount on the road. True, the Trail Blazers schedule has been much more difficult, but they're not missing what's widely regarded as their best player, either.

When Ginobili got injured, you and the masses claimed this team would struggle to make the playoffs. But if they're ahead of a supposed "juggernaut", then logically it would make them something more. Or has it become consensus already to pretend that they're another team that's head and shoulders above the Spurs?

GSH
01-14-2012, 06:51 PM
When Ginobili got injured, you and the masses claimed this team would struggle to make the playoffs. But if they're ahead of a supposed "juggernaut", then logically it would make them something more. Or has it become consensus already to pretend that they're another team that's head and shoulders above the Spurs?

If someone was disloyal enough to suggest that the reason the Spurs have a good record is because they've had a lot more home games than road games, I would have a hard time arguing with them. Not that anyone would dare to say such a thing.

I'm just saying.

timvp
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
BTW, Malcolm Thomas got screwed out of a rebound. He grabbed a defensive board that somehow ended up being credited to Gary Neal.

mudyez
01-15-2012, 12:41 PM

IMHO he and BigShot-Bob have been the two best roleplayers of all time! (Snow, Kerr, Willis could be the others on the others on the all time roleplayer team)

...and I would take them both over a lot of so called stars.

SenorSpur
01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
If someone was disloyal enough to suggest that the reason the Spurs have a good record is because they've had a lot more home games than road games, I would have a hard time arguing with them. Not that anyone would dare to say such a thing.

I'm just saying.

Well, seeing as how the Spurs are now "0-fer" on the road, you certainly wouldn't be lying if you implied as such.