PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Suns - Jan. 15

timvp
01-16-2012, 12:49 AM
It was another Spurs vs. Suns tilt headlined by Tim Duncan and Steve Nash. It looked like any other such contest over the last eight years ... plus a few extra wrinkles. In the end, the Spurs held off the Suns for a 102-91 victory.

It was a bit of an odd game for the Spurs. San Antonio built leads early and often but they could never knockout the Suns. Phoenix kept fighting back until the bitter end.

For the third straight game, the Spurs leaned on their defense to get a win. The Suns shot only 41.8% from the field and got to the line just 14 times.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6935/boxjan15.jpg

Tim Duncan A
Tim Duncan saw those Suns uniforms and forgot that he's not supposed to play this good anymore, especially without breaking a sweat. Duncan's vintage performance featured a number of jumpers, a few slick passes and great work on the boards. Defensively, he left a little bit to be desired but otherwise he was just damn solid.

Tony Parker B+
Although his efficiency waned at times, Tony Parker's aggression keyed San Antonio's offense. In addition to his scoring, he racked up nine assists to only two turnovers. On defense, I thought he gave good effort chasing Nash and was able make a few plays on that end. After a relatively slow start to the season, Parker is really starting to come on.

Richard Jefferson B-
It was another on again, off again effort out of Richard Jefferson. In spurts, he plays as hard as the Spurs need him to play. But there are stretches where he becomes too much of a spectator on both ends. That said, he made very good decisions on offense most of the night, which led to a season-high five assists (all five were in the first half).

DeJuan Blair A-
I liked how DeJuan Blair played on both ends. Defensively, he usually did a good job of staying near the perimeter shooting bigs of the Suns. On offense, his strength and determination combined with a soft touch allowed the Spurs to get a number of easy buckets. It was just a workmanlike effort out of Blair.

Kawhi Leonard B+
The rookie is beginning to make things look easy. And that's great to see. Against the Suns, he showed off some more ballhandling ability and more range on his jumper. Those two things combined to make him look like a legit shooting guard at times. On defense, he was disruptive while making few mistakes. Leonard also helped on that end by grabbing eight defensive boards. All in all, he looks like a fantastic fit in that starting group.

Danny Green B
At times, Danny Green was trying to do a little bit too much. Overall, though, I was satisfied. On offense, he's really starting to shine when he drives the ball. Green is an adequate finisher and can also make the difficult pass on the move. On defense, he was active and recorded yet another block.

Tiago Splitter B+
Tiago Splitter's quality play continues. In the low block, he has made great strides with his footwork, physicality and timing. As a result, those hurried soft shots we saw earlier in the year are rarely seen anymore. Against Phoenix, Splitter also did good work on the glass and was an asset on defense.

Matt Bonner B
I can't complain about Matt Bonner tonight. He had a few positive plays defensively to go with a couple contested rebounds. On offense, he was shooting with confidence and was also passing well. Bonner came down a little gimpy in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. Though he returned to the court later, it may be something to keep an eye on.

Cory Joseph A-
Pop entered the game with Cory Joseph tabbed as the backup point guard. Even though his stat line isn't too impressive, I really liked how he played. He was basically the reincarnation of Jacque Vaughn. He pressured the basketball 94 feet and showed some toughness on that end. On offense, Joseph did a good job of running the sets. He didn't have any problems handling the ball or finding open players, which are obviously two important traits for a rookie point guard. Overall, the thing that most impressed me with Joseph is he played with a bit of a swagger. He acted like he was supposed to be out there. It's a bit of that "it" factor you look for in a young PG.

Gary Neal D+
In his nine minutes of playing time, Gary Neal shot the ball ... and shot the ball some more. I don't want to call him a ballhog, but he was close. In the second quarter, Neal suffered a quad contusion and sat for the rest of the game. Let's hope that's not an injury that will linger.

Pop B
Pop let his young guys play important minutes and the results were mostly positive. Despite the many runs by the Suns, Pop didn't panic and was able to get Duncan and Parker a decent amount of rest. After Neal's struggles running the point in previous games, he turned to Joseph and it ended up looking like the right choice. The only glaring negative continues to be the lack of minutes for Splitter. Somehow, someway Splitter needs to play at least 25 minutes a night. He's too important and has too much room to grow to waste valuable regular season learning opportunities.

ducks
01-16-2012, 12:51 AM
parker was hurt early on with his should but he is not a pussy and can still play

his numbers suffered but he was better then what his replacements would be

ducks
01-16-2012, 12:53 AM
booner being hurt should give splitter more minutes

neal also got hurt and did not return so more corey at point

ducks
01-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Kawhi Leonard play should keep him in the starting lineup when manu gets back
limit manu's minutes and keep him fresher makes more since
that is saying kawhi does not hit the wall and keeps playing well

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2012, 12:58 AM
The lack of minutes for Tiago is just baffling.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
nvm

ElNono
01-16-2012, 01:00 AM
thanks for the writeup... I'm liking we're able to win despite fairly poor 3 point shooting... and it's been a few games now... we just need to translate that to the road...

Sean Cagney
01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
The lack of minutes for Tiago is just baffling.

It's for BONNER STILL! SO no it's not baffling to me! Pop will just keep at Bonner until the bitter end it seems.

ElNono
01-16-2012, 01:05 AM
For this game, I'm thinking Pop saw Tim playing well and would rather have the "floor spacer" out there... Plus the Suns always had at least one 3 point shooter big all the time (which burned Blair a few times). So I can see why he wouldn't play a Tiago-Tim frontline much...

The counter to that though is that neither Frye or Morris could guard Splitter, so going big wouldn't have been a bad option either.

GSH
01-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Richard Jefferson B-
It was another on again, off again effort out of Richard Jefferson. In spurts, he plays as hard as the Spurs need him to play. But there are stretches where he becomes too much of a spectator on both ends. That said, he made very good decisions on offense most of the night, which led to a season-high five assists (all five were in the first half).

Kawhi Leonard B+
The rookie is beginning to make things look easy. And that's great to see. Against the Suns, he showed off some more ballhandling ability and more range on his jumper. Those two things combined to make him look like a legit shooting guard at times. On defense, he was disruptive while making few mistakes. Leonard also helped on that end by grabbing eight defensive boards. All in all, he looks like a fantastic fit in that starting group.

Danny Green B
At times, Danny Green was trying to do a little bit too much. Overall, though, I was satisfied. On offense, he's really starting to shine when he drives the ball. Green is an adequate finisher and can also make the difficult pass on the move. On defense, he was active and recorded yet another block.

Cory Joseph A-
Pop entered the game with Cory Joseph tabbed as the backup point guard. Even though his stat line isn't too impressive, I really liked how he played. He was basically the reincarnation of Jacque Vaughn. He pressured the basketball 94 feet and showed some toughness on that end. On offense, Joseph did a good job of running the sets. He didn't have any problems handling the ball or finding open players, which are obviously two important traits for a rookie point guard. Overall, the thing that most impressed me with Joseph is he played with a bit of a swagger. He acted like he was supposed to be out there. It's a bit of that "it" factor you look for in a young PG.

Jefferson has his good and bad moments, but at least he's not playing weak. He may get beaten, but he's playing with some fire, fighting for boards, wrestling for position (sometimes pretty nasty). It makes a big difference, and I just hope he can keep that part up.

Kawhi Leonard just looks more solid to me every night. He's smart enough not to try and showboat, but he isn't intimidated by guys who have been here for years, either. He's strong, and he's turning out to have a pretty high basketball IQ. Looks like a starter.

If I had seen Green for the first time tonight, I would have been less impressed than I have been. On a couple of plays, Nash played Ring-Around-Gortat, and left Green scratching his head. But I think playing against Steve Nash is confusing for guys who have done it for years. Still a pretty nice night for a guy out of nowhere, but I'm skipping church.

I like the things you said about Cory Joseph. I'm not sure the full court pressure actually did a lot of good, but if he's got the energy for it, why not? One of my favorite moments of the young season was tonight. Cory Joseph was holding the ball at the end of the game. There were only a few seconds left, and we had it wrapped up - but the shot clock was going to expire before the game clock. You could tell that Joseph wasn't sure whether he was supposed to jack up a shot at the end of the play clock or not. (I don't blame him for not wanting to do the wrong thing and piss Pop off.) So with a few seconds left on the shot clock, he dumped it to Jefferson and put his hands down. "There, R.J. - you decide what to do with it."

Poor kid. Jack one up, and Pop might scream at you for trying to show off and run up the score. Don't jack one up, and he might scream at you for just letting a shot clock expire. I'd hate to be a nervous rookie trying to figure out Gregg Popovich. We were all laughing at his solution. Pretty smart if you ask me.

GSH
01-16-2012, 01:09 AM
D+........We still can defend paint and outside of TP we cant score in the paint. This is the poorest SA defensive team I have seen in 12 years

Take away the Suns' 21 fast break points, and they had 19 in the paint. Take away our 12 fast break points, and we had 30 in the paint.

spectator
01-16-2012, 01:09 AM
But there are stretches where he becomes too much of a spectator on both ends.

hey, that's me!!!

ducks
01-16-2012, 01:11 AM
parker's blokc on nash was awesome

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 01:12 AM
D+........We still can defend paint and outside of TP we cant score in the paint. This is the poorest SA defensive team I have seen in 12 years

Take away the Suns' 21 fast break points, and they had 19 in the paint. Take away our 12 fast break points, and we had 30 in the paint.

T2S exposed again.

:lmao

Russ
01-16-2012, 01:13 AM
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6935/boxjan15.jpg

One thing I still don't get about this box score.

Why is Blair listed as a plain "Forward" . . .

But Bonner is listed as a "Power Forward?"

:bang

Cant_Be_Faded
01-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Leonard is shooting better than freakin Anderson

spectator
01-16-2012, 01:14 AM
i noticed that cj favors his left hand when dribbling. i am no point guard coach, but i find this a bit worrying. hopefully what i saw was the exception and he regresses to the mean.

ElNono
01-16-2012, 01:14 AM

I thought they improved greatly the last few games at home... it seemingly coincides with Leonard starting and Green getting more run. I thought they did a better job than all last year, IMO. We just need to translate that to games on the road.

therealtruth
01-16-2012, 01:15 AM
For this game, I'm thinking Pop saw Tim playing well and would rather have the "floor spacer" out there... Plus the Suns always had at least one 3 point shooter big all the time (which burned Blair a few times). So I can see why he wouldn't play a Tiago-Tim frontline much...

The counter to that though is that neither Frye or Morris could guard Splitter, so going big wouldn't have been a bad option either.

Splitter has the mobility to close out on a three point shooter and has the length to bother or block the shot. Plus like you said they wouldn't be able to guard him on offense.

ElNono
01-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Splitter has the mobility to close out on a three point shooter and has the length to bother or block the shot. Plus like you said they wouldn't be able to guard him on offense.

Plus, I recall cursing Bonner in at least 2 closeouts to the 3 point shooter where he was really late. Luckily Frye was cold as shit today.

therealtruth
01-16-2012, 01:23 AM
The only glaring negative continues to be the lack of minutes for Splitter. Somehow, someway Splitter needs to play at least 25 minutes a night. He's too important and has too much room to grow to waste valuable regular season learning opportunities.

I can't figure out what Pop's doing with Splitter's minutes. He's the best post defender and it's not like the Spurs have enough defense. His offense has picked up and he's taking advantage of shorter opponents. What would you rather have? Bonner shooting 3's you know he will never make in the playoffs or a TD/Splitter combo putting pressure on the opposing frontcourt. Also, you would hope he learned from last year that trying to change strategies in the middle of the season or game 3 of the playoffs won't work.

dbestpro
01-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Usually, I agree with your evalutions, but Blair is a little too high. He had to be yanked for Bonner when he started to throw up any old shot in the second half. He probably would have rated a C- if Frye could have hit any of his wide open shots. He didn't so for me Blair gets a B.
The only thing Joseph proved to me is he is not ready for the big show, yet. At best I'd give him a C-. You don't get extra points for being a rookie in the game.

Mugen
01-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Manu should come off the bench when he gets back.

Especially if TJ's injury is a lingering issue all season.

Just makes too much sense to keep Kawhi in the starting unit.

ChuckD
01-16-2012, 01:33 AM

DeJuan Blair scored in the paint like 5 times, and Splitter 3 or 4 more. Do you even watch the games?

Mugen
01-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Why pop still sees Tiago as a situational player is beyond me. he's mobile enough to not be a defensive liability against quicker 4s and could work just as well offensively as Timmy and Blair do, probably even better since Tiago has the superior BBIQ.

i just don't get it.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 01:50 AM
I can't figure out what Pop's doing with Splitter's minutes. He's the best post defender and it's not like the Spurs have enough defense. His offense has picked up and he's taking advantage of shorter opponents. What would you rather have? Bonner shooting 3's you know he will never make in the playoffs or a TD/Splitter combo putting pressure on the opposing frontcourt. Also, you would hope he learned from last year that trying to change strategies in the middle of the season or game 3 of the playoffs won't work.

Just be patient the big picture is emerging.

Poppycock will surprise us. You'll see.

slayermin
01-16-2012, 01:52 AM
I love the grades. Excellent work.

mystargtr34
01-16-2012, 01:53 AM

mystargtr34
01-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Why pop still sees Tiago as a situational player is beyond me. he's mobile enough to not be a defensive liability against quicker 4s and could work just as well offensively as Timmy and Blair do, probably even better since Tiago has the superior BBIQ.

i just don't get it.

Nobody will ever get it tbh.

Although its pretty extreme, i would move RJ to the bench when Manu comes back and start Kawhi. I would also start Tiago for Blair for obvous reasons but lets not beat that horse anymore. Its much easier to bring offense off the bench.. so the Spurs should really be trying to put their best defensive foot forward and try and contain the starting units best scorers from the opening tip.

If Kawhi moves back to the bench when Manu comes back.. that means with Tiago and Kawhi you have two of your top 3 defensive players coming off the bench and playing most of their minutes against the opposition bench. Its a waste really, while Blair and RJ are getting torched and letting guys get into a scoring rhythm.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 01:59 AM

Although its pretty extreme, i would move RJ to the bench when Manu comes back and start Kawhi. I would also start Tiago for Blair for obvous reasons but lets not beat that horse anymore. Its much easier to bring offense off the bench.. so the Spurs should really be trying to put their best defensive foot forward and try and contain the starting units best scorers from the opening tip.

If Kawhi moves back to the bench when Manu comes back.. that means with Tiago and Kawhi you have two of your top 3 defensive players coming off the bench and playing most of their minutes against the opposition bench. Its a waste really, while Blair and RJ are getting torched and letting guys get into a scoring rhythm.

All. Excellent. Points.

crc21209
01-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks as always timvp....:tu. The #1 thing that stood out to me is that Splitter does need to get more minutes. Although I think quietly Blair has been putting together a very solid season so far. I'm also loving everything that Leonard is bringing to the table right now. The guy is a straight up all-around player, from rebounding to defense to scoring a little here and there, the kid has a huge ceiling.....

TJastal
01-16-2012, 02:07 AM
My personal preferences (given the spurs will not be able to make a move for another defensive minded big).

Keep Leonard in starting lineup w/ Jefferson. He seems quick enough to handle the SG position. Move Blair to bench, insert Splitter into starting lineup w/ Duncan. This helps Duncan have to do less of the heavy lifting.

Move Manu to the 2nd unit where he can ignite the offense. The turd towers will be a liability defensively, but hopefully with Manu running the show they can outscore their opponents.

That's just me, though, poppycock probably has other plans.

Spursfan092120
01-16-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm liking we're able to win despite fairly poor 3 point shooting... and it's been a few games now... we just need to translate that to the road...

Exactly what I was thinking. Last year, we shoot like this from behind the arc and we're blown out of the building. This year, with Tiago figuring the system out, Kawhi playing like a young veteran, and a few others picking up the slack, we still pulled it out. Hope we can keep this up...let Manu rest as long as he needs.

DMC
01-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Neal has a problem seeing the court I think, so all he concentrates on is shooting the ball. When he's out there, there's absolutely no ball movement after he touches it, and if he's the PG, that can be a huge problem.

DMC
01-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Last year, we shoot like this from behind the arc and we're blown out of the building. This year, with Tiago figuring the system out, Kawhi playing like a young veteran, and a few others picking up the slack, we still pulled it out. Hope we can keep this up...let Manu rest as long as he needs.
The teams we are facing are playing fairly shitty as well though, so it's not the same as last year, but maybe the same as the beginning of last season when other teams had their best players out with injuries.

DMC
01-16-2012, 02:19 AM
My personal preferences (given the spurs will not be able to make a move for another defensive minded big).

Keep Leonard in starting lineup w/ Jefferson. He seems quick enough to handle the SG position. Move Blair to bench, insert Splitter into starting lineup w/ Duncan. This helps Duncan have to do less of the heavy lifting.

Move Manu to the 2nd unit where he can ignite the offense. The turd towers will be a liability defensively, but hopefully with Manu running the show they can outscore their opponents.

That's just me, though, poppycock probably has other plans.
This is a bad idea. Pop should keep Bonner and Blair separated at all times.

The point of the 2nd unit isn't to give up the lead, and that's what a Blair/Bonner combo would do.

We just need the 1st unit good enough to sustain, and the 2nd needs to be strong as well. I am against making the bench weak just to have a stronger starting unit. Manu cannot do everything and he would need to with Blair/Bonner on the floor together.

Solid D
01-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Fair assessment. The Suns looked tired and lacking focus.

Matt Bonner B
Bonner came down a little gimpy in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. Though he returned to the court later, it may be something to keep an eye on.

He got sandwiched on a double screen on the OB play just prior to Matt nailing the 3-pointer at the other end. Shannon Brown kneed Bonner.

GSH
01-16-2012, 02:32 AM

i just don't get it.

You have to leave room for the possibility that Tiago looks extremely good because of the situations he's being used in. I don't know. But if you're even remotely suggesting that his basketball IQ is superior to Tim's? Well, that's beyond silly. I won't even bother to discuss all the reasons why.

BoricuaCJA
01-16-2012, 02:40 AM
My lineup for the Spurs when Manu comes back is
PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C Blair

I have Manu coming off the bench to be a spark and our PG in the 2nd unit, especially TJ being out. Manu and Splitter playing together will be incredible duo, Manu being such an incredible passer will help Splitter even more. Plus this also helps us not have the shitty towers playing with each other much.

Now if Splitter were to be put in the starting lineup, then I would like Leonard and Green come off the bench to play with the shitty towers to help out with the rebounding/defense. It really depends on the matchups imo, matters who we are playing.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 02:48 AM

The point of the 2nd unit isn't to give up the lead, and that's what a Blair/Bonner combo would do.

We just need the 1st unit good enough to sustain, and the 2nd needs to be strong as well. I am against making the bench weak just to have a stronger starting unit. Manu cannot do everything and he would need to with Blair/Bonner on the floor together.

As far as giving up leads, that's why I proposed putting Manu back in the 2nd unit, so he could offset the Blair/Boner combo. You don't think Manu can still spark the 2nd unit? I think he can.

And I wouldn't generally be for this move (making Manu carry the load of the 2nd unit) but in this instance I think its justified because changing the starting lineup at the very tail end of the season is a bad move IMO. It's going to mess up chemistry too much.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 02:53 AM
And another thing........

You guys have to think in terms of what the spurs will be seeing in the playoffs (assuming they make it of course).

It's probably going to be a big physical frontline (like the Grizz or Lakers). Do we want Tim Duncan out there defending both his man AND his frontcourt partner's man? Like he had to do last year? Wasn't it bad enough last year he was outsized by his own man but he also had to cover Bonner/Blair's man as well?

With Splitter starting next to him, this will ease that burden tremendously. I'd rather give Tim the support he needs to stay fresh all game long and take my chances with the Blair / Bonner combo.

therealtruth
01-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Now if Splitter were to be put in the starting lineup, then I would like Leonard and Green come off the bench to play with the shitty towers to help out with the rebounding/defense. It really depends on the matchups imo, matters who we are playing.

Kawhi could definitely help counter Blair/Bonner lineups with his defense and rebounding.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2012, 03:13 AM
is pop limiting splitters minutes, cause fearing of any injury to the bigs that he cant afford to happen?

BoricuaCJA
01-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Kawhi could definitely help counter Blair/Bonner lineups with his defense and rebounding.
One other thing that can help maybe is have this starting lineup against some matchups is
PG Parker
SG Green
SF Jeferson
PF Splitter
C Duncan

Having Neal and Manu playing off the bench will be a huge scoring punch of the bench and help us have great defensive lineup to start the game with Splitter and Green playing.

We can even have Neal start, that way green and Leonard could help with the rebounds/defense for the shitty towers and Neal can help spread the floor for Parker/Duncan/Splitter.

This really all depends on matchups. I have so many lineups that can work on certain teams but not others. I would not put Neal in the starting lineup against LA. Kobe would just have a field day.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 03:26 AM
One other thing that can help maybe is have this starting lineup against some matchups is
PG Parker
SG Green
SF Jeferson
PF Splitter
C Duncan

Having Neal and Manu playing off the bench will be a huge scoring punch of the bench and help us have great defensive lineup to start the game with Splitter and Green playing.

We can even have Neal start, that way green and Leonard could help with the rebounds/defense for the shitty towers and Neal can help spread the floor for Parker/Duncan/Splitter.

This really all depends on matchups. I have so many lineups that can work on certain teams but not others. I would not put Neal in the starting lineup against LA. Kobe would just have a field day.

Agreed. But I wouldn't get to fancy altering lineups too much just pick something that is going to work most of the time. Which is why I don't like Neal starting because combined with Parker that would be a very small backcourt that will not work against teams like Miami & LA.

Parker & Green works better, IMO.

SenorSpur
01-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Neal has a problem seeing the court I think, so all he concentrates on is shooting the ball. When he's out there, there's absolutely no ball movement after he touches it, and if he's the PG, that can be a huge problem.

All the more reason Pop should "get a clue" and give up this piss-poor experiment with Neal - if he hasn't already. Gary has clearly not been shooting well since the change. He simply has no PG instincts and once he crosses half-court, he's looking for is own offense.

Meanwhile, it was encouraging to see CJ given the backup PF reins.

jjktkk
01-16-2012, 03:39 AM
DeJuan Blair scored in the paint like 5 times, and Splitter 3 or 4 more. Do you even watch the games?

You forgot, T2S is old school, he listens to the games on his boombox, in his garage.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 03:56 AM
All the more reason Pop should "get a clue" and give up this piss-poor experiment with Neal - if he hasn't already. Gary has clearly not been shooting well since the change. He simply has no PG instincts and once he crosses half-court, he's looking for is own offense.

Meanwhile, it was encouraging to see CJ given the backup PF reins.

Neal's shooting woes are not because he's trying to play the point guard position in the nba for the 1st time in his life, c'mon that's silly to think. He allegedly played some point guard over in Europe that should be plenty of experience.

Neal's just got to Neal with it.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I wonder if Bruno thinks Neal should just Neal with it....certainly didn't cut RMJ any slack.

:rollin

Darkwaters
01-16-2012, 06:09 AM
A strong starting lineup is important, but often times can be a little moot. The real answers come when you consider who is closing out games and how many rotation minutes players are getting while the end is still in doubt. Still, theres a degree of strategy to the starting lineup that allows you to manage minutes well and put a competent second team on the floor.

When everyone is healthy I'd like a starting five like this:

Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Richard Jefferson
DeJuan Blair
Tim Duncan

See any changes? Nope. It's a good lineup. Why?

With Kawhi coming into his own I think Manu's return to the starting lineup may be in doubt. With tons of depth on the wings we'll be able to conserve Manu and play him fewer minutes. Bringing him off the bench helps assure this. If Pop wants Manu as a starter then I think I'm in favor of dumping RJ out of the linup. Basically, Leonard needs to stay and match up against the other team's elite.

Keeping Blair in the lineup might not make sense as Tiago is clearly the better choice. But I think this is a tactful way of minimizing the chances of Blair and Bonner ever playing together. And because of this one reason, I think I'm in favor of keeping him there. Blair is definitely at his best with Manu, and having Manu on the second team made me consider putting Blair there too.

That gives you a second unit something like this:

TJ Ford
Manu Ginobili
Danny Green/Gary Neal
Matt Bonner
Tiago Splitter

The thing I hate most about the second team is having Bonner on the list. I'd prefer to work it so that Blair could log big minutes with this team instead. Hes shown a lot of chemistry with both Ginobili but also Danny Green. Blair as a part of the second team just makes more sense on every level except that Bonner gets in the way. If the Spurs are able to sign a player like Przybilla then a lot can change. Until then the bigman rotation is very constraining.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Why are people still talking about Neal's playing point guard?

dbestpro
01-16-2012, 08:39 AM

The only way this happens is through injury or trade.

Bender
01-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Why are people still talking about Neal's playing point guard?yes, pop put the kibosh on that.

Too bad cory j didn't play in the early games, so he would have more experience by now.

Brazil
01-16-2012, 08:56 AM
I like the starting unit with 2 SF it gives us size and rebound to start the game and Leonard is surprisingly good at taking advantage of his size.

I'm really looking forward seeing him on top SG like wade / kobe, it will also be interesting to see him against guys like Allen.

TMTTRIO
01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Once Manu comes back maybe we should just not even play him until the fourth quarter of games since we have enough scoring power and we don't want to mess up with the chemistry the player's have been gaining without him. Also that he'll be fresh when the playoffs arrive.

ManuTastic
01-16-2012, 09:55 AM
No way Timmy gets an A. Sure the offense was there, but defensively he made the otherwise underwhelming Gortat look like the second coming of Wilt the Stilt. C+ at best for the game.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
A strong starting lineup is important, but often times can be a little moot. The real answers come when you consider who is closing out games and how many rotation minutes players are getting while the end is still in doubt. Still, theres a degree of strategy to the starting lineup that allows you to manage minutes well and put a competent second team on the floor.

When everyone is healthy I'd like a starting five like this:

Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Richard Jefferson
DeJuan Blair
Tim Duncan

See any changes? Nope. It's a good lineup. Why?

With Kawhi coming into his own I think Manu's return to the starting lineup may be in doubt. With tons of depth on the wings we'll be able to conserve Manu and play him fewer minutes. Bringing him off the bench helps assure this. If Pop wants Manu as a starter then I think I'm in favor of dumping RJ out of the linup. Basically, Leonard needs to stay and match up against the other team's elite.

Keeping Blair in the lineup might not make sense as Tiago is clearly the better choice. But I think this is a tactful way of minimizing the chances of Blair and Bonner ever playing together. And because of this one reason, I think I'm in favor of keeping him there. Blair is definitely at his best with Manu, and having Manu on the second team made me consider putting Blair there too.

That gives you a second unit something like this:

TJ Ford
Manu Ginobili
Danny Green/Gary Neal
Matt Bonner
Tiago Splitter

The thing I hate most about the second team is having Bonner on the list. I'd prefer to work it so that Blair could log big minutes with this team instead. Hes shown a lot of chemistry with both Ginobili but also Danny Green. Blair as a part of the second team just makes more sense on every level except that Bonner gets in the way. If the Spurs are able to sign a player like Przybilla then a lot can change. Until then the bigman rotation is very constraining.

It all comes down to priorities IMO. Blair/Bonner isn't normally what you would pencil in but that's all the spurs have atm. You take your chances that they can get stay even with the other teams' 2nd unit.

And I ask you, what's more important to closing out games... a 100% Tim Duncan who has done very little heavy lifting all game? Or a Tim Duncan who has been run ragged trying to guard two 7fters in the paint for extended minutes? Blair is too undersized to deal with guys like Nowitzki, Gasol, & Randolph. You saw Timvp's write up about his rebounding % declining already, his mobility and hops are in serious decline IMO (despite the other extenuating factors).

That's my take on it, you don't keep hanging Timmy out to dry year after year. Play your best two bigs together to minimize the wear and tear on each and give em big minutes together.

I'm sure Poppycock feels the same way as you however. He's been expecting Tim to do all the heavy lifting for 4-5 years why stop now? I'm sure he'll keep the same philosophy until the team actually faces a dominant frontline in the playoffs that will chew up the spurs' gimped starting fronline. Then suddenly a light bulb will fire off his head.

SenorSpur
01-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Neal's shooting woes are not because he's trying to play the point guard position in the nba for the 1st time in his life, c'mon that's silly to think. He allegedly played some point guard over in Europe that should be plenty of experience.

Neal's just got to Neal with it.

Whatever.

Neal having played part-time point guard in Europe isn't the same as playing it at a high level in the NBA. I don't care how ever much or little time he's ever spent playing the position, the fact is he's a shooting guard - in mentality and instincts. That much is very obvious. That's why this is a dumb idea and a failed experiment.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Whatever.

Neal having played part-time point guard in Europe isn't the same as playing it at a high level in the NBA. I don't care how ever much or little time he's ever spent playing the position, the fact is he's a shooting guard - in mentality and instincts. That much is very obvious. That's why this is a dumb idea and a failed experiment.

Sorry Senor I think I left out something in the last post

:toast

cheguevara
01-16-2012, 10:24 AM
surprise of the night:
Corey Joseph

thing to note:
Steve Nash is horribly washed up. looks like an old scrub. Even his body looks deformed at this point.

Killakobe81
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Though Kawhi shows promise ... RJ finally gets his shot together and you bench him? Plus although Gortat deflected the lob, RJ showed he has some spring left on the failed alley oop. To win in May you will need RJ ... I say it would be dangerous to mess with his confidence. he found his stroke, now he just needs to work on defense ...

Kawhi loses no confidence by returning to the bench ...

Muser
01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
If Kawhi keeps it up i'd put Manu back into his 6th man role when he comes back.

acoelho1
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM
I like Blair but just feel his defense will hurt us in the playoffs like it did last year. Tiago should be starting and getting 30 plus mins a night. He is still figuring out the NBA game and I would rather him learn it now than in the midst of a playoff run. Also, Manu should absolutely start when he gets back. We have enough fire power off the bench with Neal, once he is 100% back.

Also, there will have to be an odd man out in the playoffs between Neal, Green and Jefferson when the bench is usually shortened. For me, it's Jefferson even though he is shooting well from the 3, he is soft minded and can't be trusted in crucial situations.

My starting lineup would be as follows with Neal, Green, Ford & Blair as the first ones off the bench.

Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Splitter
Leonard

TJastal
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I like Blair but just feel his defense will hurt us in the playoffs like it did last year. Tiago should be starting and getting 30 plus mins a night. He is still figuring out the NBA game and I would rather him learn it now than in the midst of a playoff run. Also, Manu should absolutely start when he gets back. We have enough fire power off the bench with Neal, once he is 100% back.

Also, there will have to be an odd man out in the playoffs between Neal, Green and Jefferson when the bench is usually shortened. For me, it's Jefferson even though he is shooting well from the 3, he is soft minded and can't be trusted in crucial situations.

My starting lineup would be as follows with Neal, Green, Ford & Blair as the first ones off the bench.

Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Splitter
Leonard

You do realize that Manu will be coming back sometime right before the playoffs start and will most likely be really rusty right? Not to mention the fact that any chemistry the starting unit develops over the year will be tossed out the window.

acoelho1
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Well.. if he is out 8 weeks than he would be back around mid March and have about 25 games to get back in the groove so I don't consider that right b4 the playoffs. Secondly, we are not going anywhere in the playoffs without Manu playing heavy minutes and he should be starting on his return.

Nathan89
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Tiago doesn't need to start but he does need to get 30+min per night. This will allow Tim and Tiago to play quality minutes in every game. Experience that will be much needed when Pop figures out that he needs to play Tim and Tiago together in the playoffs. 30mpg also eliminates any the combo of Blair and Bonner.

Can't wait to see Kawhi vs James

TJastal
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Well.. if he is out 8 weeks than he would be back around mid March and have about 25 games to get back in the groove so I don't consider that right b4 the playoffs. Secondly, we are not going anywhere in the playoffs without Manu playing heavy minutes and he should be starting on his return.

Knowing Manu, it will be 12 weeks for a full recovery and he'll probably reinjure that same hand trying to come back any sooner.

acoelho1
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I doubt it will be 12 weeks and it's not like a knee or ankle injury where he would need to be careful coming back. Plus, it's 6 to 8 weeks so he could be back even sooner. So there would be enough games for him to get back in shape and acclimated with the starting line up.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I doubt it will be 12 weeks and it's not like a knee or ankle injury where he would need to be careful coming back. Plus, it's 6 to 8 weeks so he could be back even sooner. So there would be enough games for him to get back in shape and acclimated with the starting line up.

I gotta admit, I've been very impressed with Leonard's impact in the starting lineup .. the stats of how much he has improved the defense (since his insertion) are irrefutable. Granted its only been 3-4 games so far but if he keeps having that kind of impact on the defensive side I really think keeping him there is the best solution. TD/TP/RJ is enough offense for the starting unit, and good defenders are sorely needed as compliments IMO.

Manu can still be a spark for that 2nd unit. He has done it before in years' past and is a mature professional and should do what is best for the team.

SpurNation
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
If the trend continues as the Spurs being one of the worst teams defending the paint and transition baskets...
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-points-in-paint-per-game
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-fastbreak-efficiency

could they still be considered legit for going to the finals if they have to play a team with superior post talent?

Not taking anything away from this win...but the Suns are one of the worst teams in the league scoring in the paint yet Gortat looked like an all star while the rookie Morris scored all too easily.

How do the Spurs compensate that glaring disparity compared to other playoff teams they might face who'll have better offensive and defensive talent in the paint?

TJastal
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
If the trend continues as the Spurs being one of the worst teams defending the paint and transition baskets...
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-points-in-paint-per-game
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-fastbreak-efficiency

could they still be considered legit for going to the finals if they have to play a team with superior post talent?

Not taking anything away from this win...but the Suns are one of the worst teams in the league scoring in the paint yet Gortat looked like an all star while the rookie Morris scored all too easily.

How do the Spurs compensate that glaring disparity compared to other playoff teams they might face who'll have better offensive and defensive talent in the paint?

I would slowly work Splitter's minutes up to 30 a game then put him in the starting lineup. Put whataburger boy back on the bench. Then try to trade any combination of Blair, Bonner & James Anderson & pick(s) for a serviceable big.

Mugen
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
You have to leave room for the possibility that Tiago looks extremely good because of the situations he's being used in. I don't know. But if you're even remotely suggesting that his basketball IQ is superior to Tim's? Well, that's beyond silly. I won't even bother to discuss all the reasons why.

I was suggesting that Tiago had superior BBIQ to DeJuan which is pretty obvious from watching the games.

Btw, I'm fine with Tiago being the first big off the bench. Tiago starting means increased minutes for Blair/Bonner which automatically becomes the worst lineup Pop can field.

I just want Tiago to be finishing games alongside Tim.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I was suggesting that Tiago had superior BBIQ to DeJuan which is pretty obvious from watching the games.

Btw, I'm fine with Tiago being the first big off the bench. Tiago starting means increased minutes for Blair/Bonner which automatically becomes the worst lineup Pop can field.

This seems to be the new trendy idea I keep hearing lately... that it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes. Now only if the league would agree to let the spurs only have to play final 5 minutes of every game with the game starting at a tied score this would be fk'ing awesome.

I'm all for this idea if the league agrees. :tu

rascal
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM

The Spurs were hardly ever blown out last year, especially at home.

Brazil
01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
lol@acting as if Gorcat is kind of a scrub that our D let shine during that game.

Gorcat is legit and he is playing well since the beginning of the season leading the nba in FG% or not far from leading.

Tim D has not been very good it's true, I thought he has disrespected a little Gorcat JS, but once again he has been solid against all the big in the league so far.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 12:28 PM

I think you'll see some of that depending on the opponent's line-up.

In the Houston game, Pop put Tiago in to play next to Tim with about 5 minutes to go in regulation. Houston had Hill and Patterson on the floor at the time. About 30 seconds later, Houston replaced Hill and Patterson with Scola and Parsons. Pop then replaced Tiago with Green and played small the rest of regulation.

In the OT, Houston went with Dalembert and Scola and Pop matched that with Tim and Tiago.

Last night, the Suns finished with Gortat/Frye and Gortat/Morris and Pop finished with Duncan/Blair.

So, Tim with no other big v. small ball, Tim with Tiago v. a conventional line-up, and Tim with Blair v. a big plus a stretch 4.

Mugen
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
This seems to be the new trendy idea I keep hearing lately... that it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes.

Pretty much.

acoelho1
01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I gotta admit, I've been very impressed with Leonard's impact in the starting lineup .. the stats of how much he has improved the defense (since his insertion) are irrefutable. Granted its only been 3-4 games so far but if he keeps having that kind of impact on the defensive side I really think keeping him there is the best solution. TD/TP/RJ is enough offense for the starting unit, and good defenders are sorely needed as compliments IMO.

Manu can still be a spark for that 2nd unit. He has done it before in years' past and is a mature professional and should do what is best for the team.

I agree that Leonard should continue to be in the starting line up when Manu is back. However, there will need to be an odd man out in the playoffs between Neal, Green and Jefferson. Knowing Pop, it will be Green that sits, which will be a mistake in my opinion. Jefferson can't be trusted and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. Green on the other hand, has shown the mental toughness needed in the playoffs on both ends of the court.

Mugen
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
So, Tim with no other big v. small ball, Tim with Tiago v. a conventional line-up, and Tim with Blair v. a big plus a stretch 4.

The thing is I think Tiago is mobile enough to be able to guard the stretch 4s of the league.

I don't really understand why Pop thinks Blair matches up with them better when he's 10x more likely to commit a dumb foul on the perimeter or take an unnecessary gamble and put pressure on the help defense.

I'm fine with taking Tiago for small ball if the opposing lineup calls for it but Tiago is more than capable of guarding the stretch 4s of the world like Channing Frye.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM

In the Houston game, Pop put Tiago in to play next to Tim with about 5 minutes to go in regulation. Houston had Hill and Patterson on the floor at the time. About 30 seconds later, Houston replaced Hill and Patterson with Scola and Parsons. Pop then replaced Tiago with Green and played small the rest of regulation.

In the OT, Houston went with Dalembert and Scola and Pop matched that with Tim and Tiago.

Last night, the Suns finished with Gortat/Frye and Gortat/Morris and Pop finished with Duncan/Blair.

So in other words, same ol' Pop always scrambling to adjust to what the other team is doing instead of trying to dictate. All that proves is a lack of confidence in your team.

Brazil
01-16-2012, 12:35 PM

and maybe one day we will impose the match ups instead of adapting to what the other team is proposing...

Brazil
01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
So in other words, same ol' Pop always scrambling to adjust to what the other team is doing instead of trying to dictate. All that proves is a lack of confidence in your team.

and maybe one day we will impose the match ups instead of adapting to what the other team is proposing...

:lol faster than me TJastal

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

:rolleyes

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Spurs won both games.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Spurs won both games.Yeah, but not the way they should have won them! :madrun

Brazil
01-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, but not the way they should have won them! :madrun

TJastal
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM

I woudn't fret.

Rumpy was happy last year too when the spurs were winning regular season games and Splitter was getting DNP.

We saw how all that turned out in the playoffs.

Rumpy's lucky to remember what happened last week, let alone last season.

jjktkk
01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but not the way they should have won them! :madrun

:lol

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I woudn't fret.

Rumpy was happy last year too when the spurs were winning regular season games and Splitter was getting DNP.

We saw how all that turned out in the playoffs.

Rumpy's lucky to remember what happened last week, let alone last season.Watch the games. You might avoid talking straight out of your ass that way.

lol happy

lol lucky

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Watch the games. You might avoid talking straight out of your ass that way.

lol happy

lol lucky

Don't need to watch games from last year, numbnuts. It's pretty evident how things turned out. Not enough Splitter from the get-go. Although you were quite satisfied while the spurs were amassing piles of regular seaosn victories weren't you? Do you deny this?

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Don't need to watch games from last year, numbnuts. It's pretty evident how things turned out. Not enough Splitter from the get-go. Although you were quite satisfied while the spurs were amassing piles of regular seaosn victories weren't you? Do you deny this?I'm talking about this year, genius. You're getting your ass handed to you because you aren't watching the games.

lol quite satisfied

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm talking about this year, genius. You're getting your ass handed to you because you aren't watching the games.

lol quite satisfied

You made damn near every excuse anyone could possibly think of why Splitter wasn't logging minutes and scoffed at anyone who suggested Splitter should play more.

And you know it.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 04:28 PM
You made damn near every excuse anyone could possibly think of why Splitter wasn't logging minutes and scoffed at anyone who suggested Splitter should play more.

And you know it.Nope.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Nope.

lol memory lapses.

You know damn well you were happy as long as the wins were comin.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
lol memory lapses.

You know damn well you were happy as long as the wins were comin.Nope.

ElNono
01-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Say, is your boy Antonio Parker going to close a game without a hero shot on the road for us? :lol

callo1
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Alright, I have a question Spurstalk:

Do you think it is possible that Pop was giving TD more exposure against the Suns due to the Allstar voting?

Yes yes, I know, Pop would NEVER admit to that, but take a look at the situation a bit closer and it could be true.

A nationally televised game would give Tim a chance to show that he can still be effective despite his low points/rebounds thus far.

As many of you mentioned here, Tiago was looking very good, but Pop froze him out by leaving him on the bench. I would make the arguement that while TD looked vintage on offense, his defense was terrible. It wasn't until Tiago left the game that Gortat went off. Tiago was clearly playing much better defense on Gortat.

Look folks, there isn't anyone on these boards that has more respect for TD than me, but his defense looked really bad.

While it is easy to make sense of Parker playing heavy minutes due to Neal and TJ being out, why play Tim more minutes than Splitter, who was looking great on both ends of the court. All of this while playing a weak Suns team, and a road trip coming up where you will need more production from Tim?

Like I said, I know Pop would never admit to it, but...I can see it.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
why play Tim more minutes than Splitter

really?

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Mel_13, are you in the habit of creating false quotes?

I do not recall saying "why play Tim more minutes then Splitter".

Really?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
really?

:lol even for me that was a bit much.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Mel_13, are you in the habit of creating false quotes?

I do not recall saying "why play Tim more minutes then Splitter".

Really?

Do you think it is possible that Pop was giving TD more exposure against the Suns due to the Allstar voting?

Yes yes, I know, Pop would NEVER admit to that, but take a look at the situation a bit closer and it could be true.

A nationally televised game would give Tim a chance to show that he can still be effective despite his low points/rebounds thus far.

As many of you mentioned here, Tiago was looking very good, but Pop froze him out by leaving him on the bench. I would make the arguement that while TD looked vintage on offense, his defense was terrible. It wasn't until Tiago left the game that Gortat went off. Tiago was clearly playing much better defense on Gortat.

Look folks, there isn't anyone on these boards that has more respect for TD than me, but his defense looked really bad.

While it is easy to make sense of Parker playing heavy minutes due to Neal and TJ being out, why play Tim more minutes than Splitter, who was looking great on both ends of the court. All of this while playing a weak Suns team, and a road trip coming up where you will need more production from Tim?

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Did you take it out of context or quote the entire post?

Is it really that hard?

Really?

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Really?

Happy now?

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Really?

Happy now?

Yes actually.

manufan10
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
When did the idiot Spurs fans come out from hiding? They have to be trolling, right?

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes actually.

Good.

Care to answer the question?

Do you seriously believe Pop should have taken minutes from Tim and given them to Tiago?

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
When did the idiot Spurs fans come out from hiding? They have to be trolling, right?

How courteous and exhaustive of a response there.

You seriously think TD was playing better defense than Tiago in that game?

Look, I never said that Tiago was the better player, or had the higher basketball IQ, I simply pointed out that I found it odd that Tim got so many minutes and Tiago got so few.

In the context of the game and situation, I think it is a resonable question.

By all means, just continue to be one of the handfull on these boards that post one-line responses attacking a person rather than answering a post...how genuine!!

Grats to you...its cool though, you got the post count up right?

manufan10
01-16-2012, 09:34 PM
How courteous and exhaustive of a response there.

You seriously think TD was playing better defense than Tiago in that game?

Look, I never said that Tiago was the better player, or had the higher basketball IQ, I simply pointed out that I found it odd that Tim got so many minutes and Tiago got so few.

In the context of the game and situation, I think it is a resonable question.

By all means, just continue to be one of the handfull on these boards that post one-line responses attacking a person rather than answering a post...how genuine!!

Grats to you...its cool though, you got the post count up right?

:lol getting butt hurt when the comment wasn't directed at you, but in general.

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Good.

Care to answer the question?

Do you seriously believe Pop should have taken minutes from Tim and given them to Tiago?

Actually, I asked the question originally, but you have done nothing but fail to logically answer it, but sure, why not, I will answer your question.

In a shortened season with back-to-back-to-backs, an east coast road trip looming, while trying to develop young talent and building a big lead against a weak team at home?.....hmmm.....yes.

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
:lol getting butt hurt when the comment wasn't directed at you, but in general.

Post a real response then.

No, I don't get "butt hurt" by people who use the term "butt hurt"...I set my aim a bit higher..but thank you for your concern.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Actually, I asked the question originally, but you have done nothing but fail to logically answer it, but sure, why not, I will answer your question.

In a shortened season with back-to-back-to-backs, an east coast road trip looming, while trying to develop young talent and building a big lead against a weak team at home?.....hmmm.....yes.

30:41
24 pts
11 reb
4 assists
2 blocks
1 steal

Go ahead. Make the case that Tiago should have played more than Tim.

callo1
01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
30:41
24 pts
11 reb
4 assists
2 blocks
1 steal

Go ahead. Make the case that Tiago should have played more than Tim.

Simple actually, had you ever read my original post, I would not have to answer though.

All of those stats mean nothing, when TD gave it all up on the other end to Gortat. You can take numbers and make them tell you anything you want.

Did TD or Tiago play better defense on Gortat?

Do the Spurs need to continue to develop Tiago?

Does Pop need to "manage" Timmy's minutes..ala Pop himself?

This is the crux of my original post.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Simple actually, had you ever read my original post, I would not have to answer though.

All of those stats mean nothing, when TD gave it all up on the other end to Gortat. You can take numbers and make them tell you anything you want.

I did read your original post.

I don't believe that you made the case for Tiago playing more minutes than Tim.

Clearly you believe that you have.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

callo1
01-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I did read your original post.

I don't believe that you made the case for Tiago playing more minutes than Tim.

Clearly you believe that you have.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I never clearly believed anything, whch is why I made the original post.

I can respect disagreement.

It could be that Pop wanted to make sure and get that Suns game because he thinks the road trip may not go so well? I could see that, but to me it was a bit odd.

In any case, I think the Spurs may get Miami, but the Magic will be tougher due to fatigue, although, if Kawhai and Green continue to play well who knows. Get Howard in early foul trouble and the Spurs can get that game too.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I never clearly believed anything, whch is why I made the original post.

I can respect disagreement.

It could be that Pop wanted to make sure and get that Suns game because he thinks the road trip may not go so well? I could see that, but to me it was a bit odd.

In any case, I think the Spurs may get Miami, but the Magic will be tougher due to fatigue, although, if Kawhai and Green continue to play well who knows. Get Howard in early foul trouble and the Spurs can get that game too.

With Manu out and 16 of the next 21 games on the road, it's a pretty good bet that Pop wants to secure every possible win.

Miami/Orlando is a tough b2b and I expect two losses, but there are factors in our favor. Wade will be out in Miami and Orlando will be on the third night of a b2b2b.

pgardn
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Tim's D was not good. Gortat setting screens for Nash and leaving Parker out to dry was not good. I dont like the fact that we did not stomp them when we had them down.

Tim looked very comfortable away from the basket and overall offensively. But thats half the game. We get all stated up when he pulls a 20-10 like the "old" days. Cant give him an A. The D...I would rather have the D...

jjktkk
01-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Don't need to watch games from last year, numbnuts. It's pretty evident how things turned out. Not enough Splitter from the get-go. Although you were quite satisfied while the spurs were amassing piles of regular seaosn victories weren't you? Do you deny this?

I know why your worried. Pop already ruined one future hofer's career in Mahimni, now your worried that Pop will do the same to Splitter.

Mel_13
01-17-2012, 01:37 AM

Tiago guarded Gortat for 1:44 in the second quarter and 2:38 in the third quarter. Tiago was matched up for the great majority of his time on Robin Lopez.

therealtruth
01-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Tiago guarded Gortat for 1:44 in the second quarter and 2:38 in the third quarter. Tiago was matched up for the great majority of his time on Robin Lopez.

The Spurs are wasting Tiago's defense on the other teams bench. He's the best individual post defender because of his mobility and length. If he starts Gortat probably doesn't go for 24 and 15 and the Spurs win in a rout. The Suns really had no one else scoring.

Mel_13
01-17-2012, 06:30 AM
The Spurs are wasting Tiago's defense on the other teams bench. He's the best individual post defender because of his mobility and length. If he starts Gortat probably doesn't go for 24 and 15 and the Spurs win in a rout. The Suns really had no one else scoring.

Pure speculation. What isn't speculation is that your suggestion would result in heavy doses of Blair/Bonner.