PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard's - Dad

TP2150
01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I've never seen this posted very sad. Makes me root for this kid even more.

wAJh9CNbzx0

jermaine
01-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Not to down play his story, but that's normal in the hood. But to excel like he has, is nuttin but greatness. I've seen this kinda thing an most guys just let the hood take them under an they disappear an just become the next thug in the hood.

Canibspur
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Very sad indeed. Coming up on the 4 year anniversary this week. Ill be pulling for him his entire career. In a Spurs uni or not.

Canibspur
01-16-2012, 09:34 AM
And no its NOT normal for anyone to be shot 10 times at work in broad daylight. In the hood or not.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Good piece about a really good person with a good family who's handled the tragedy in his life. He had to grow up fast. And he's handling it all really well. I'm glad he's a Spur.

I have to say that while I was watching this and being impressed with Kawhi as a person, every time they showed Kawhi, I couldn't help but think, "Holy crap his hands are gigantic."

GSH
01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I think it's ridiculous that someone calls on the telephone and tells a high school kid that his dad is dead. It's obvious that his dad was a hard worker, and he passed that down to Kawhi.

BTW - sooner or later someone is going to discover that Danny Green's dad got caught with a few hundred pounds of cocaine, and several million in cash. Might as well try and get it over with here, and avoid a dedicated thread. Danny Green is a hard worker, too, so go figure. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.

The real story here is that when those two young men are in the game togther, they are giving opponents fits on defense. The steals, blocks, and defensive stops are impressive. All of a sudden it looks like the Spurs are rebuilding in place again.

Spur|n|Austin
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
And no its normal for anyone to be shot 10 times at work in broad daylight. In the hood or not.

Spursfan092120
01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Very sad story..I've posted it a couple of times though.

TP2150
01-16-2012, 12:39 PM
The real story is the Spurs have got good quality kids that worked hard to change there life's and family's. It's not always about basketball.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
BTW - sooner or later someone is going to discover that Danny Green's dad got caught with a few hundred pounds of cocaine, and several million in cash. Might as well try and get it over with here, and avoid a dedicated thread. Danny Green is a hard worker, too, so go figure. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family..

That's an interesting story though, so I'm sure someone will dedicate a thread :lol Looks like his dad was a gym teacher who claimed he was innocent and served less than 2 years. But that was a heck of a lot of cocaine and cash! Anyway... I believe he's still a very supportive part of Danny's life.

Spurs Brazil
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
BTW - sooner or later someone is going to discover that Danny Green's dad got caught with a few hundred pounds of cocaine, and several million in cash. Might as well try and get it over with here, and avoid a dedicated thread. Danny Green is a hard worker, too, so go figure. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.

Good piece about it here: http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/110323_rodriguez.html

txstr1986
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I have not been so excited for a new Spurs rookie since Duncan. It's great to see how some guys can just rise above such tragedy and adversity.

SenorSpur
01-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Interesting story about Leonard. I have to admit that in his short time as a Spur, with every interview, I've always sensed a profound sadness about him. A quiet maturity. It caused me to wonder about his family situation (parents and such). Of course, I never know if my sense was accurate until now.

As someone who also lost their father during his teenage years, I can say it definitely has a profound affect on you during those formative years. It also forces you to grow up quickly. I'm sure that to this day, Kawhi misses is father very much and wishes he could've shared some of his success with him.

I applaud Kawhi for moving his life forward in a manner that would've made his dad very proud. This kid has got some intestinal fortitude the makes him an ideal Spur player. I'm rooting for this kid even more now and I'm glad he's a Spur.

InTheCrust
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
I guess that's why he gets a shit ton of minutes - he got over himself.

cantthinkofanything
01-17-2012, 06:29 AM
The real story is the Spurs have got good quality kids that worked hard to change there life's and family's. It's not always about basketball.

No, the real story is what the video showed. And maybe didn't show. I like Leonard a lot and don't want to dininish his dad's death but we have no idea what kind of man Kawhi's dad was. It doesn't sound like a random shooting. I'm sure it was tough on the kid but this is only a small biasesd clip on the story.

callo1
01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I saw this story last year when the Spurs moved up to get Kawhai. This young man is Spurs material all the way. To rise above tragedy and overcome shows Kawhai's true character.

I am so thankful to the Spurs organization for consistently giving us good character players we can actually sincerely cheer for...not just because of their athletic talents, but because we truly enjoy them as individuals.

Kawhai is already one of my favorite Spurs, right there with TD and Manu.