PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Thai food?

CosmicCowboy
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Found a keeper tonight...(fortunately only like two minutes from the house). Corner of Callaghan and I-10. Same shopping center with Sprouts (used to be Sun Harvest). Just open a couple of weeks.

Really good service and food. I loved the concept. Menu is segmented into curry dishes, rice dishes, noodle dishes etc. and each category has your choice of meat/seafood and multiple toppings and you can order each from mild to Thai hot.

I have nothing to do with these guys and have no ulterior motives...just a good family owned restaurant I'd like to see make it work.

Dex
01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-taste-san-antonio

This is the place that turned me on to Thai food back when I was a notoriously picky eater. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I used to drive across town to go here.

CosmicCowboy
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Oh Yeah...I'd guess it would help to give the name...(oops) It's YaYa's...

Borosai
01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Mmmmm Thai.

Agloco
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Sompongs, Thai Corner. Both in the Medical Center

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
If you are talking Med Center then Sarikas is the gold standard. I'm saying these guys can play in that league....

ChumpDumper
01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
If you are talking Med Center then Sarikas is the gold standard. I'm saying these guys can play in that league....I'll try one of them next time I'm down there. Thanks.

The_Worlds_finest
01-17-2012, 12:45 AM
there is some place off rittimen west of 35 that is awesome. itll be on your left hand side.

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2012, 01:04 AM
pho?

Wild Cobra
01-17-2012, 03:20 AM
I love Thai food. But like most Asian foods, I'm hungry again too soon. I need my meat and potatoes.

Nathan Explosion
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
If you are talking Med Center then Sarikas is the gold standard. I'm saying these guys can play in that league....

So many Thai restaurants in the Medical center area. I used to go to Jasmine Thai on Medical a lot.

RGMCSE
01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
there is some place off rittimen west of 35 that is awesome. itll be on your left hand side.

Thai House! (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/39/432387/restaurant/Northeast-Side/Thai-House-San-Antonio)

I've been to more than a few Thai restaurants in town that are pretty good. But the Thai House is by far the freshest. These guys pump out food daily so I feel comfortable that I'm not getting some old left overs.

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Hmmm....just realized that this is a newly opened second location...the original is apparently highly reviewed...

http://www.yayasthai.com/Index.html

Agloco
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

wow...can't believe I forgot about Shakiras :lol

My gripe with them is that they just dont have enough seating tbh. If you dont get there at the right time its a long wait.

Food is top notch though. :tu

DMC
01-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Place in Pflugerville north of Austin just off Howard Lane called "Ka Prow" that has excellent Thai food.

The Gemini Method
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Pho is Viet Cuisine...The closest thing the Thais have is probably Boat Noodles.

I grew up being fortunate to have Thai food all the time...it's good to see people are enjoying the cuisine.

Blake
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-taste-san-antonio

This is the place that turned me on to Thai food back when I was a notoriously picky eater. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I used to drive across town to go here.

+1 on thai taste

ploto
01-17-2012, 07:13 PM
+1 on thai taste

That is where all the people I work with go, too.

Wilford Brimley
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM

This place sucks ass. I went there on a recommendation and now I don't trust that persons opinion

ChuckD
01-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I'll try one of them next time I'm down there. Thanks.

Aren't you going to ask if he found it on a mailing list? :ihit

ALVAREZ6
01-18-2012, 12:35 AM
I had Thai for the first time last month and my meal was really good. I'll have to try some more typical dishes.

leemajors
01-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I like Titaya in Austin, amazing peanut sauce.

desflood
01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
We ate at Thai Taste for years, but over the past two years or so the place has gotten really dirty, so we don't go any more. There is grease and food splattered on the walls by the booths, the restroom floors always have dirt on them and it's doubtful the carpet has ever been thoroughly cleaned. I'd hate to see the kitchen.

I did give Sompong's a try, looking for an alternative. It wasn't impressive. We ate there three times; the first two visits the food was bland and overcooked (and they got my order wrong) and the third time they actually served us food with bad tofu.

mrsmaalox
01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not very experienced with Thai food, but there was a nice place off Stone Oak Parkway called Thai Palace that has closed or relocated. I was just beginning to explore the cuisine when they left. I can be pretty squeamish with "foreign-to-me" food, so I loved that this place was immaculately clean, but also that they had a small buffet at lunch time where i could sample a little of several items but not commit to anything. Do any of the places mentioned so far have a buffet?

Agloco
01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm not very experienced with Thai food, but there was a nice place off Stone Oak Parkway called Thai Palace that has closed or relocated. I was just beginning to explore the cuisine when they left. I can be pretty squeamish with "foreign-to-me" food, so I loved that this place was immaculately clean, but also that they had a small buffet at lunch time where i could sample a little of several items but not commit to anything. Do any of the places mentioned so far have a buffet?

None that I know of. Now a Thai buffet with unlimited Pad Thai?

Please don't post if you do know of one.........that would be certifiably dangerous to my health.

CuckingFunt
01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I support any cuisine that puts meat on a stick and serves it with sauce made out of peanuts. Genius, that.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
There's one at the Thai place on perrin beitel outside the loop but I forget the name of it. I believe it used to be a long john silver. It was good. Really the only Thai place ive been to in SA.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Found it
http://m.yelp.com/biz/thai-cafe-san-antonio

desflood
01-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I support any cuisine that puts meat on a stick and serves it with sauce made out of peanuts. Genius, that.
Mmmm, satay...

mrsmaalox
01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Also if anyone will tell me which of these places serves pineapple fried rice, I'll go straight there ;)

I had pineapple fried rice (vegetarian with toasted cashews) from a little roadside stand several years ago while hiking the outlying islands of Hong Kong----it was wonderfully sweet and toasty. Working with a gargantuan language barrier, I was able to learn that the stand's owner/cook was Thai and I believe she said that pineapple fired rice was the national dish of Thailand---or at least something grand like that.

Winehole23
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I like Titaya in Austin, amazing peanut sauce.yep.

IM Thai also pleases. I'd stay away from Thai Kitchen unless it's real late at night and you just gotta.

on my to do list, Little Thailand

Dr. Gonzo
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Those places suck. Sarikas is borderline horrible.

Thai Bistro and Sushi on De Zavala is the place to go. I've tried Thai all over this city and this is by far the best place.

Dr. Gonzo
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Also if anyone will tell me which of these places serves pineapple fried rice, I'll go straight there ;)

I had pineapple fried rice (vegetarian with toasted cashews) from a little roadside stand several years ago while hiking the outlying islands of Hong Kong----it was wonderfully sweet and toasty. Working with a gargantuan language barrier, I was able to learn that the stand's owner/cook was Thai and I believe she said that pineapple fired rice was the national dish of Thailand---or at least something grand like that.

Thai Bistro on De Zavala. That dish is amazing.

I. Hustle
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Thai Chili FTMFW

Blake
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
We ate at Thai Taste for years, but over the past two years or so the place has gotten really dirty, so we don't go any more. There is grease and food splattered on the walls by the booths, the restroom floors always have dirt on them and it's doubtful the carpet has ever been thoroughly cleaned. I'd hate to see the kitchen.

I admit, it's been at least 4-5 years since I've been there. I used to work close enough to that area to go at least twice a month.

As old as that place is, none of what you said about it surprises me.

Dex
01-18-2012, 04:54 PM

I did give Sompong's a try, looking for an alternative. It wasn't impressive. We ate there three times; the first two visits the food was bland and overcooked (and they got my order wrong) and the third time they actually served us food with bad tofu.

That's disappointing. I haven't been there since I moved to Austin over 4 years ago, so it's sad to hear it has gone downhill.

The Gemini Method
01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Do they have a Thai Town in S.A.? That would be a good place to find a spot to eat. Also, if they have a Buddhist temple in the area they usually have Thai street food and various other Asian delicacies on certain weekends.

Dr. Gonzo
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Do they have a Thai Town in S.A.? That would be a good place to find a spot to eat. Also, if they have a Buddhist temple in the area they usually have Thai street food and various other Asian delicacies on certain weekends.

haha Thai town in San Antonio. That's rich.

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 03:41 PM
I think my favorite dish is General Tso's Chicken.

Dex
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
I think my favorite dish is General Tso's Chicken.

http://cdn.hotstockmarket.com/e/eb/ebb22674_not-sure-if-serious.jpg

The Gemini Method
01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
haha Thai town in San Antonio. That's rich.

I've never been to San Antonio so I don't know firsthand--So, now I know lol.

Pad see ew for the win!

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 04:37 PM
http://cdn.hotstockmarket.com/e/eb/ebb22674_not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Yes. That's shit is good. Depending on where you go. Done right, it's got a nice crispy coating (but not too crunchy) with a tangy sauce. I usually order it extra spicy. I'll put it on top of my fried rice and let the sauce soak into the rice. Good stuff.

Dex
01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes. That's shit is good. Depending on where you go. Done right, it's got a nice crispy coating (but not too crunchy) with a tangy sauce. I usually order it extra spicey. I'll put it on top of my fried rice and let the sauce soak into the rice. Good stuff.

I agree that General Tso's Chicken is fuckin' righteous, but it's not Thai. Hell, it's not even Chinese. It's like Americanized Chinese.

Not sure if you are in SA, but if so, check out a place off Thousands Oaks called Full House Chinese. Order the Sesame Chicken (L17 on the lunch menu)...easily my favorite Chinese dish. Though they call it Sesame, it's more akin to General Tso's because its very spicy and tangy, whereas most places make their sesame chicken very sweet. Never been able to find a place that makes it the same way...

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree that General Tso's Chicken is fuckin' righteous, but it's not Thai. Hell, it's not even Chinese. It's like Americanized Chinese.

Not sure if you are in SA, but if so, check out a place off Thousands Oaks called Full House Chinese. Order the Sesame Chicken (L17 on the lunch menu)...easily my favorite Chinese dish. Though they call it Sesame, it's more akin to General Tso's because its very spicy and tangy, whereas most places make their sesame chicken very sweet. Never been able to find a place that makes it the same way...

Well we can agree to disagree. I think it's Thai. :lol

No, I'm in Ft. Worth. Actually west of Ft. Worth. It's a pretty good drive to get to any decent Thai restaurants. Lots of decent Pho places though. There's one called "Pho King Way". Always makes me LOL when we drive by. I think Dallas has a few good Thai places but it's too far away. Hard to even find a good Chinese places where I'm at. Lots of decent buffets that I can take the family to. But nothing great for just me and the wife.

Totally with you on General Tso's being different (sometimes very) from place to place.

manufan10
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I've never had Thai food. I need to add that to my bucket list.

Capt Bringdown
01-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Working with a gargantuan language barrier, I was able to learn that the stand's owner/cook was Thai and I believe she said that pineapple fired rice was the national dish of Thailand---or at least something grand like that.

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and I've only encountered pineapple fried rice in tourist joints. That's not to say pineapple fried rice isn't delicious.

As a national dish of Thailand, I'd nominate som tam (green Papaya salad). As I'm not a fan of fermented fish paste, it's not my favorite, but it's the most common street food that I've seen. On my wife's menu at least 3-4 times a week.

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and I've only encountered pineapple fried rice in tourist joints. That's not to say pineapple fried rice isn't delicious.

As a national dish of Thailand, I'd nominate som tam (green Papaya salad). As I'm not a fan of fermented fish paste, it's not my favorite, but it's the most common street food that I've seen. On my wife's menu at least 3-4 times a week.

Cool, thanks for that info :toast

I've learned 2 things, 1) my Chinese/Thai to English skills are not good at all and 2) if that is a dish geared towards tourists/foreigners, there's a good chance I will find something very close here in SA!

The Gemini Method
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Had some pad see mao and prig king last night because of this thread lol. Good stuff when those two dishes are done right.