PDA

View Full Version : Wow..this Italian cruise ship captain was unbelievable...

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
He is now being called the most hated man in Italy...

The transcripts show heated telephone exchanges took place between captain Schettino and harbour master officials in the hours after he struck the rocks at around 9.40pm on Friday evening.
At 9.49pm Schettino is asked: 'Is everything ok?' He replied: 'Yes, just a small technical problem.'
This was despite the hull having a 70m gash.
There was silence until half past midnight when officials managed to contact the captain - who by now had got off a lifeboat and safely on shore.
Hundreds of passengers were still onboard as the order to abandon ship had only been given an hour earlier.
An official at Livorno harbour asked: 'How many passengers are left to evacuate captain?' He answered: 'I've called the company and they say around 40.'
The official, who knew from reports at the scene that hundreds were still onboard, added: 'How come so few? Are you still onboard captain?'
Captain Schettino replied: 'No, I'm not onboard, the ship's beached, we have abandoned.' To which the shocked official responded: 'What? You have abandoned ship?' He answered: 'No, what are you talking about abandoning.'
Minutes later he was contacted again and told: 'Get back on board, get back to the ship and co-ordinate the rescue. You need to tell me how many people are onboard, how many women, how many children. You need to organise the rescue.
'Captain this is an order, I am in charge now, you have given the order to abandon ship and you need to get back to coordinate the rescue, OK. There are already bodies.'
Captain Schettino replied in a whisper: 'How many?' with the harbour master shouting at him: 'You tell me. What do you want to do? Go home? You now get back on board and tell me what you are going to do.'
He replied: 'Alright, I'm going'. But he failed to obey the order and instead was reportedly seen getting into a taxi which took him from Seagull Point, the reef where the Concordia had beached, to the harbour at Giglio.

Sisk
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
They should hang him.

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
u know the ship belongs to the miami heat boss owner....lol just 1 of his 100th cruise ships

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
just another italian running away from their responsibilities...

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
will he be responsible for 22 deaths?

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
DUNNO but he shouldve gone down with the ship

pawe
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I dont know if it is a rule that the captain has to be the last one to get off a sinking ship but he is a self preserving asshole.

baseline bum
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Dude must have been drunk as shit.

mingus
01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Probably an athiest. Pussy.

baseline bum
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Nah, since his actions were those of someone drunk, it stands to reason that he is an alcoholic. Then if he's an alcoholic, he's probably been in AA and believes in the higher power.

Agloco
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Nah, since his actions were those of someone drunk, it stands to reason that he is an alcoholic. Then if he's an alcoholic, he's probably been in AA and believes in the higher power.

:lol

bb with the goods

Destro
01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
what a piece of shit

Ginobilly
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM

I've been to AA meetings and I could tell you that 90% of those idiots don't believe in anything; they just temporarily believe in a "higher power" because most have to be there due to court orders. I asked your usual san anto thug one time, who had Jesus and virgin de Guadalupe tattoos all over his body that if he knew what the Virgin de Guadalupe means to the Mexican-American culture, and if he knew how to use that rosary he always wears. He didn't know shit about his supposed religious beliefs. Most people nowadays just use the "higher power" and Jesus as some sort of fad when they're going through tough times, then they reject all that once things start getting better in their lives.

Wild Cobra
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
All this conjecture when we really don't know enough.

Do such ship captains really have the duties of those in the past?

Country of origin registry would also matter for what his role really is. Now this most certainly looks bad for him, but I like more details before i form an opinion. He would probably just be in the way of those doing the rescue work. He could have been given bad information himself.

Ever see roles in an organization where you have a fall guy for when something does go wrong?

CubanSucks
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
reminds me of this guy, ESPECIALLY from that Titanic episode

http://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/images/e/e9/Zapp_Brannigan.png

ehz33satx
01-17-2012, 03:07 PM
All this conjecture when we really don't know enough.

Do such ship captains really have the duties of those in the past?

Country of origin registry would also matter for what his role really is. Now this most certainly looks bad for him, but I like more details before i form an opinion. He would probably just be in the way of those doing the rescue work. He could have been given bad information himself.

Ever see roles in an organization where you have a fall guy for when something does go wrong?

WTF!?!? You related to him or something?

Wild Cobra
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
WTF!?!? You related to him or something?
Not at all.

He doesn't actually steer the ship or anything. Is he even required to be on the bridge when entering port? He can't be there 24/7. I really don't know how things are changed over the years.

Maybe he is a spineless shithead who deserves jail, but again, who knows the role of a cruise ship captain these days? Is it a job that is more title only?

My primary thing here is, showing other possibilities. Feel free to disassemble them and show they are not possible. If you only attack me, the messenger, than I will assume you have no valid reasons why such possibilities are wrong.

In the old days, before GPS, the Captain would be surveying the land and maps to navigate. Such thing now rely on GPS. Maybe Iran tried to hijack this ship?

cheguevara
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I have to agree somewhat. It's not like the captain was sailing solo. Was he behind the wheel? there were probably at least a dozen crewmembers that could have prevented this somehow.

Yeah, the captain sounds straight from a Simpson's episode. Totally incompetent. But let me remind you the US had a president that was just as incompetent and responsible for thousands of deaths and he is living a free man now.

besides, the shit was tipped over. How useful could the captain really have been in that ship?

Sportcamper
01-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I think we should all be grateful that the Captain is safe & will one day be able to operate another Vessel…

CubanSucks
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I have to agree somewhat. It's not like the captain was sailing solo. Was he behind the wheel? there were probably at least a dozen crewmembers that could have prevented this somehow.

Yeah, the captain sounds straight from a Simpson's episode. Totally incompetent. But let me remind you the US had a president that was just as incompetent and responsible for thousands of deaths and he is living a free man now.

besides, the shit was tipped over. How useful could the captain really have been in that ship?

that's pretty funny considering your username

mingus
01-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Not at all.

He doesn't actually steer the ship or anything. Is he even required to be on the bridge when entering port? He can't be there 24/7. I really don't know how things are changed over the years.

Maybe he is a spineless shithead who deserves jail, but again, who knows the role of a cruise ship captain these days? Is it a job that is more title only?

My primary thing here is, showing other possibilities. Feel free to disassemble them and show they are not possible. If you only attack me, the messenger, than I will assume you have no valid reasons why such possibilities are wrong.

In the old days, before GPS, the Captain would be surveying the land and maps to navigate. Such thing now rely on GPS. Maybe Iran tried to hijack this ship?

The captain no longer has to survey the land? So he's not to blame for crashing into the reef or rocks or land or whatever he crashed into?

clambake
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
blaming the captain is class warfare.

mingus
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM

He's supposed to coordinate the evacuation. Because there was no leadership, the evacuation was a disaster and people who probably should not have died did die because of that. I doubt you give a shit about lives seeing how Che is your bff.

cheguevara
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
how do you coordinate an evacuation in complete darkness and in a tipped over boat? I would like to know.

Again, the captain was incompetent but I disagree he should be the only responsible one here.

the crew should be just as responsible as the engineer of the boat. How the fuck you build a 1/2 billion dollar boat and it tips over at the most minimal collision? :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
minimal collision? He ran over a freaking rock because he was driving the boat where it wasn't supposed to be and put a gash in the hull almost as long as a football field...

4>0rings
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
how do you coordinate an evacuation in complete darkness and in a tipped over boat? I would like to know.

Again, the captain was incompetent but I disagree he should be the only responsible one here.

the crew should be just as responsible as the engineer of the boat. How the fuck you build a 1/2 billion dollar boat and it tips over at the most minimal collision? :lol

Company goes under you blame the CEO. Ship goes down, you blame the captain. It doesn't matter who's partially responsible... the captain is responsible, period.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 04:49 AM
The captain no longer has to survey the land? So he's not to blame for crashing into the reef or rocks or land or whatever he crashed into?
What if the wonderful technology we rely on today was on the fritz?

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 04:50 AM
blaming the captain is class warfare.
I wonder where Tennille was?

koriwhat
01-18-2012, 04:57 AM

i like to believe in a lower power myself... hail... http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i91/nonnie9999/gifs/Devil_emoticon.gif

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Food for thought on this issue:

In Ship Accident's Wake, Scrutiny Turns To Captain (http://www.npr.org/2012/01/17/145349378/in-ship-accidents-wake-scrutiny-turns-to-captain)

It is possible the captain didn't do anything wrong.

The Reckoning
01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Food for thought on this issue:

In Ship Accident's Wake, Scrutiny Turns To Captain (http://www.npr.org/2012/01/17/145349378/in-ship-accidents-wake-scrutiny-turns-to-captain)

It is possible the captain didn't do anything wrong.

it's more of a violation of custom. the captain was in charge of his ship, and he should have went down with it. i dont mean as in drowning with it, but he should have been the last one off the ship, including the bodies.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 06:57 AM
it's more of a violation of custom. the captain was in charge of his ship, and he should have went down with it. i dont mean as in drowning with it, but he should have been the last one off the ship, including the bodies.
I understand the Hollywood sentiment. Let's be real for a moment. Anymore, is a Captain of a cruise ship much more than a figurehead? He didn't require moving up through the tanks of military training. It's a civilian ship. He wasn't the expert in evacuation techniques.

The Reckoning
01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
he knew the anatomy of his ship as well as anyone else

Sportcamper
01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
The Captain did a fly by too close to the Island, a maneuver not approved for safety reasons by the cruise line and some of you are questioning if the Captain of the ship was even at fault for the disaster?…This thread has become a pool of ignorance…

sonic21
01-18-2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9019175/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-captains-route-change-blamed-for-disaster.html

Cruise disaster: Costa Concordia captain’s route change blamed for disaster

The captain of the Costa Concordia was accused of “inexcusable” recklessness last night after it emerged that he steered too close to shore to come within sight of his head waiter’s family home on the island of Giglio.

The Reckoning
01-18-2012, 08:13 AM
"oh look, i can see my house from here!" - famous last words

MaNuMaNiAc
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
WC is nothing if not consistent I'll give him that.

Explain this to me, if the captain serves no purpose other than looking pretty, who the fuck is in charge of coordinating an evacuation in case shit like this happens??

what's that? you don't know? you know why you don't know? because its so fucking obvious you probably missed it. ITS THE CAPTAINS JOB!! Its always been the captain's job.

Let me ask you a question WC, do you purposely spew bullshit around all day or is it some kind of masterful troll job you've been pulling on us unsuspecting forum folk for the past however many years??

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
It is possible the captain didn't do anything.

Exactly! He should be tarred and feathered imho

mrsmaalox
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
This article addressed a few of the things I was wondering about http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/travel/cruise-ship-passenger-safety/. An excerpt:

Passengers first, then crew, then captain

In addition to the United Nations agency, a ship is subject to the laws of the country whose flag it flies, often called "flag administration." The ship may also be subject to the laws of a country where it stops. (The Concordia didn't stop in U.S. ports carrying U.S. passengers, which means it wasn't subject to U.S. Coast Guard regulations, according to Brad Schoenwald, senior marine inspector of the U.S. Coast Guard's Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise.)

In the Concordia case, the laws of Italy also apply. Schettino may face charges including manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning a ship when passengers were still on board, chief prosecutor Francesco Verusio said. Abandoning ship is a maritime crime that has been on the books for centuries in Spain, Greece and Italy, according to Alessandra Batassa, a lawyer in Rome, although many other countries have long abandoned it.

Although U.S. law doesn't single out abandoning ship as a crime, it's a longtime maritime tradition that the captain be the last one off a sinking ship, according to maritime law professor Craig Allen, visiting professor of law at Yale University Law School and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

"If you're going to be master of a ship, your responsibility is first to your passengers, second to your crew, then you look after yourself," said Allen, a Coast Guard veteran. "It's shameless and dishonorable [for the captain] to take himself out of the mix like that."

JudynTX
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
He changed course so his sister could see the ship. At least that's what she tweeted right before he collided.

Hang him!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
He changed course so his sister could see the ship. At least that's what she tweeted right before he collided.

Hang him!

Was she the head waiter on the ship? I read on MSNBC, so it must be true, that the head waiter wanted to wave hello to her family and that's why the ship was were it was when it crashed. I found it amazing that this ship was bigger than the Titanic. It had more people than the Titanic and weighed almost twice as much as the Titanic.

boutons_deux
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I can't believe he was solely responsible. There has to be co-captains, navigation officers involved in diverging from the route.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM

For the first three hours after they hit the rock, the ship wasn't in darkness and wasn't tipped over.

From about two hours after it ran aground:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-01/16/131362118_21n.jpg

Here's another photo that was taken after the captain had already abandoned ship:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/cruise-ship-costa-concordia--runs-aground-off-italy/2012/01/14/gIQA6PEYyP_gallery.html#photo=77

That's what he's getting ripped for.

Spurtacus
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I may actually be able to afford a cruise this summer thanks to this classless asshole captain.

CavsSuperFan
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
So from the photo it looks as though the lighthouse ran into the ship…This story keeps unfolding…

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Let me ask you a question WC, do you purposely spew bullshit around all day or is it some kind of masterful troll job you've been pulling on us unsuspecting forum folk for the past however many years??
I'll answer you this way.

My personal opinion is they guy should go to jail, for a long time. However, I think a serious investigation as to the cruise line operating practices are in order too. I think he was flat out wrong in his actions, but I don't know the law in this case.

I've pointed out before that sometimes I bring up a point of view that isn't being observed. just as food for thought.

I do hope the laws put him in jail. For a long, long time.

eisfeld
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Fact is he ordered that the ship passes the island at close distance to greet someone.
Fact is he left the ship when he should have coordinated everything.
Fact is he just told the media that he tripped, fell into a rescue boat and had no chance to go on board of the ship again.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I'll answer you this way.

My personal opinion is they guy should go to jail, for a long time. However, I think a serious investigation as to the cruise line operating practices are in order too. I think he was flat out wrong in his actions, but I don't know the law in this case.

I've pointed out before that sometimes I bring up a point of view that isn't being observed. just as food for thought.

I do hope the laws put him in jail. For a long, long time.

Fair enough

Spurtacus
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Fact is he ordered that the ship passes the island at close distance to greet someone.
Fact is he just told the media that he tripped, fell into a rescue boat and had no chance to go on board of the ship again.

Did he really say the third one? ROFL. Did the crew that abandoned ship with him say the same thing?

vato loco
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
This article addressed a few of the things I was wondering about http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/travel/cruise-ship-passenger-safety/. An excerpt:

Passengers first, then crew, then captain

In addition to the United Nations agency, a ship is subject to the laws of the country whose flag it flies, often called "flag administration." The ship may also be subject to the laws of a country where it stops. (The Concordia didn't stop in U.S. ports carrying U.S. passengers, which means it wasn't subject to U.S. Coast Guard regulations, according to Brad Schoenwald, senior marine inspector of the U.S. Coast Guard's Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise.)

In the Concordia case, the laws of Italy also apply. Schettino may face charges including manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning a ship when passengers were still on board, chief prosecutor Francesco Verusio said. Abandoning ship is a maritime crime that has been on the books for centuries in Spain, Greece and Italy, according to Alessandra Batassa, a lawyer in Rome, although many other countries have long abandoned it.

Although U.S. law doesn't single out abandoning ship as a crime, it's a longtime maritime tradition that the captain be the last one off a sinking ship, according to maritime law professor Craig Allen, visiting professor of law at Yale University Law School and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

"If you're going to be master of a ship, your responsibility is first to your passengers, second to your crew, then you look after yourself," said Allen, a Coast Guard veteran. "It's shameless and dishonorable [for the captain] to take himself out of the mix like that."

going off of this then the captain is fucked and deservedly so for being such a pussy bitch

i don't think the rest of the crew is getting enough shit from the public and media tho, the second/third/etc in command need to do some time as well seeing as they're all responsible for putting tons of civilians lives at risk by leaving them to fend for themselves

vato loco
01-18-2012, 08:24 PM

he also lied when asked if everything was ok after hitting the rock i think, the evacuation could've been much smoother if he was honest about it instead of claiming they were only suffering "small technical difficulties"

Cyrano
01-18-2012, 11:52 PM
http://mortystv.com/showcards/love_boat.jpg
That guy's a pussy.
I'd have stayed.
Besides, on MY boat the only one putting things on the rocks was Isaac.

CavsSuperFan
01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
News is now reporting mitigating circumstances…New Italian Naval vessels are equipped with glass bottoms on sections of their battle ships & this cruise ship did not have any…

CavsSuperFan
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Oh I get it now…The new Italian Navy does not use glass bottoms to help with navigation…They use glass bottoms on their ships to keep an eye on the old Italian Navy…