PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Mom Forum - Perry and Santorum

AFBlue
01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I watched the debate last night, but I just seemingly couldn't get enough of the candidates. So, that bled into post-debate coverage. Next thing you know I'm watching this Cafe Mom forum on C-Span with Gov. Perry and then Sen. Santorum.

The only reason I'm bringing it up is that I came away impressed with both in this unique, anti-debate setting. Perry actually sounded intelligent and provided the detail that has been sorely lacking in his debate performances to date. Granted his model for America is essentially "look at what Texas does", but he definitely presented it more eloquently than I'd previously heard.

Then it came to Santorum. He gave direct answers that were sometimes tough to hear (specifically about market correction of the housing bursted bubble), but I was most impressed with his response to a woman that felt conflicted about supporting him because she has a gay son. He and his wife talked about how he'd been miscast as someone who hates gay people. He spoke about supporting other lifestyles, but he said the difference was a poliicy difference. He talked about the unfortunate trend of indifference or neutrality when it came to discussing traditional marriage and having children in-wedlock, even though there is empirical evidence to suggest those life choices are tied to economic success. I know Santorum is an extreme social conservative that will continue to get labeled as a gay-hater, but he definitely came across as anything but that in this forum.

I don't know that either swayed my vote, but I came away more impressed with both than I had been previously. Anybody else see the forum or get the same vibe from those two candidates as I saw last night?

clambake
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
did you say perry?

AFBlue
01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
did you say perry?

And "intelligent" in the same post. I know it's shocking.

Spurminator
01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't want to get away from the point you're making by getting into a nit-picky debate about what they said, but I just have to say that knowing Santorum's position on gay marriage is influenced in part by a concern about the potential economic success of a child raised in a gay household makes me think he's even more of a clueless homophobe than I previously thought. What an absolute crock of shit.

AFBlue
01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't want to get away from the point you're making by getting into a nit-picky debate about what they said, but I just have to say that knowing Santorum's position on gay marriage is influenced in part by a concern about the potential economic success of a child raised in a gay household makes me think he's even more of a clueless homophobe than I previously thought. What an absolute crock of shit.

He didn't use a study suggesting that gay couples raising a child had less success than a traditional married couple. Sorry if I confused with the way I stated it. He was talking about not being able to actively promote marriage despite the fact that marriage (and having kids afterward) had a positive correlation as it relates to poverty...or should I say the ability to rise above poverty.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
He didn't use a study suggesting that gay couples raising a child had less success than a traditional married couple. Sorry if I confused with the way I stated it. He was talking about not being able to actively promote marriage despite the fact that marriage (and having kids afterward) had a positive correlation as it relates to poverty...or should I say the ability to rise above poverty.So why exclude gay couples and their children from that positive correlation and ability to rise above poverty?

Santorum made an argument for gay marriage.

AFBlue
01-17-2012, 10:58 PM
So why exclude gay couples and their children from that positive correlation and ability to rise above poverty?

Santorum made an argument for gay marriage.

It wasn't his survey. He didn't exclude homosexuals. The survey said the three things one needs to do to in order to avoid poverty were work, graduate high school, and get married THEN have kids.

I suppose a gay person that works, graduates high school, gets married and THEN adopts a kid probably has a positive correlation as well. But of course, he didn't make that distinction.

SnakeBoy
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Perry actually sounded intelligent and provided the detail that has been sorely lacking in his debate performances to date. Granted his model for America is essentially "look at what Texas does", but he definitely presented it more eloquently than I'd previously heard.

As governor Perry has always been able to articulate his message. Which is why I was so suprised at how incredibly bad he was as a presidential candidate. I think a large part of his lack of performance is his fake attempt at being the outsider Tea Party candidate instead of just being what he really is...a career politician.

AFBlue
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Heard he's now polling third in Texas behind Romney and Gingrich.

Winehole23
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
ouch

SnakeBoy
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Same poll shows 39% of Texas GOP voters think Perry's candidacy has been an embarassment to the state.

Drachen
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Same poll shows 39% of Texas GOP voters think Perry's candidacy has been an embarassment to the state.

Did they transpose those digits?

Or did 61% of the state just not know he was running?

Spurminator
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
edit: post removed, reading is fundamental

SnakeBoy
01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Did they transpose those digits?

Or did 61% of the state just not know he was running?

That's just GOP voters. Having 39% of your own supporters think you're an embarassment is pretty bad. It will be interesting to see what kind of primary challenge Perry gets in the next Governors race.

cheguevara
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
too bad you don't run the presidency from within the confines of Mom's Cafe

boutons_deux
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
similar to 91% of Americans approve of Congress

WTF are the other 9% thinking? :lol

Wild Cobra
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Heard he's now polling third in Texas behind Romney and Gingrich.
Maybe Romney or Gingrich should run for Governor!

AFBlue
01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Maybe Romney or Gingrich should run for Governor!

Romney as the Texas governor...I wonder what Texas would look like?

AFBlue
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
And I'd never vote for Gingrich...ever.