PDA

View Full Version : Why Kobe Bryant is still the most clutch NBA Player

DeadlyDynasty
01-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Good read, the writer makes some fine points.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1021347-why-the-beastly-kobe-bryant-is-still-the-most-clutch-nba-player

If your looking for the most clutch player in the NBA, look no further than Los Angeles.

It still is, like it has been in the recent past, Kobe Bryant.

If you need proof, just take a look at the past two nights where Bryant combined to score 98 points; including 40 last night in an overtime victory for the Lakers against the Utah Jazz.

So much for that bum wrist.

Superstars get it done in the clutch and no one does it better than Bryant.

Is there still any doubt that he's still the best closer in the NBA?

Just take a look at the roll he's on this season.

He's averaging 30.3 points per game which leads the league, but he's doing it at 33 years old with a lot of wear and tear on his body.

To put what he's doing in perspective, only one player in the last 25 seasons at 33 years or older has more points through their first 12 games. Bernard King scored 371 points during the 1990-91 season.

Also, only one player in his 16th season in the league has come within 100 points of what Kobe has done this season in the last 25 years. That would be Karl Malone's 2001-02 season.

There's been only two 40-point games in the NBA this season, both by Bryant in the last two nights. He also became the first person to score at least 40 on back-to-back night's since Dwyane Wade in 2010.

Yet he still does more than just fill it up on the offensive end as he blocked a shot with 0.7 seconds remaining in overtime.

He may be aging by NBA standards, but he's clearly not ready to pass the torch yet.

When it's clutch time, there's still no one better in the NBA.

Discuss.

Spur_Fanatic
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
He is not. Stats show he is, in fact, worse in clutch time.

Spur_Fanatic
01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I know bleacher report sucks, but dunno if we can copy and paste stuff from it.

Giuseppe
01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
That stunt he pulled last night was one for the ages.

***Marion stomped his foot immediately afterward.

tee, hee.

midnightpulp
01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
That stunt he pulled last night was one for the ages.

***Marion stomped his foot immediately afterward.

tee, hee.

You really love Kobe, don't you?

lefty
01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Bleacher Report :lmao

DeadlyDynasty
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Actually, he's the best. I think if you didn't spend an inordinate amount of time in your life hating on Kobe, your life would be more fulfilling and less vacant.

Wouldn't you agree?

Spur_Fanatic
01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Stats say he is terrible in the clutch. Stats dont hate.

I think if you didn't spend an inordinate amount of time in your life sucking on Kobe's dick, your life would be more fulfilling and less vacant. Wouldn't your agree?

mystargtr34
01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Why is he talking about the first 12 games of this season to make the case or Kobe being the best clutch player?

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
^ This

Kobe is clutch was dispelled 4+ years ago. Rose has hit more game winners in the past year and half than Kobe has the last 5 years. No joke

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

The truth about Kobe Bryant in crunch time

(one year old)

"Bryant shoots more than most, passes less and racks up misses at an all-time rate. There is no measure, other than YouTube highlights and folklore, by which he's the best scorer in crunch time. "

OUCH!

Deuce Bigalow
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
^ This

Kobe is clutch was dispelled 4+ years ago. Rose has hit more game winners in the past year and half than Kobe has the last 5 years. No joke

:lol

Kobe has hit more gamewinners in the 2009-10 Season (7) than Rose has in his career.
Kobe has 36 gamewinners in his career, which is the most alltime btw.

Trill Clinton
01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
he is.

Spur_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Kobe has hit more gamewinners in the 2009-10 Season (7) than Rose has in his career.
Kobe has 36 gamewinners in his career, which is the most alltime btw.

He's been the only one with the ball in his team, for years now, in every tight match, so of course he'll have many... And he missed much more than made. Being clutch mean one is "tending to be successful in tense or critical situations". His FG % drops fast in the last 24 second of a game. Which means that for every game winner you enjoyed, he missed twice as much (well, close to twice as much).

lefty
01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

The truth about Kobe Bryant in crunch time

(one year old)

"Bryant shoots more than most, passes less and racks up misses at an all-time rate. There is no measure, other than YouTube highlights and folklore, by which he's the best scorer in crunch time. "

OUCH!
Now THAT is a legit analysis

Giuseppe
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM

It just got ridiculous after the 3rd one. And a perfect set up for what was the culmination on June 17, 2010. They thought they'd make Kobe sorry at the top of the key there. Uh, uh. Artest made 'em more than sorry. He left the Celtics right there---where he'd found 'em---7 games earlier.

& now you know...the rest of the story.

Spur_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Seems his FG % in the last 24 seconds is around 30%.

I was expecting a low number, but that's actually pretty bad.
I'll dig around and see if I can confirm this.

lefty
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah horrible numbers

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 03:41 PM
It just got ridiculous after the 3rd one. And a perfect set up for what was the culmination on June 17, 2010. They thought they'd make Kobe sorry at the top of the key there. Uh, uh. Artest made 'em more than sorry. He left the Celtics right there---where he'd found 'em---7 games earlier.

& now you know...the rest of the story.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_65wVG6Fngi0/SaoXpZLhFbI/AAAAAAAABFo/JgLdhNWmF50/s400/PaulHarvey.jpg

Giuseppe
01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah horrible numbers

That's why the Mavs double teamed him the other night in the same spot the Celtics had him stove up in. Fish played the Artest part and left the Mavs, dead in the ground.

You should not feel bad, Lefty:::your shit bag hit that three Vs Daddy & The Suns and I'm eternally grateful for that. I ran out into the streets of the barrio after that howitzer.

Spur_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Holy shit, his FG% truly is 31.3% in the last 24 seconds...

Spur_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
That's why the Mavs double teamed him the other night in the same spot the Celtics had him stove up in. Fish played the Artest part and left the Mavs, dead in the ground.

You should not feel bad, Lefty:::your shit bag hit that three Vs Daddy & The Suns and I'm eternally grateful for that. I ran out into the streets of the barrio after that howitzer.

I think we can all agree the Mavs players are all idiots.

IronMaxipad
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Check out Kobe's game winning play vs the Mavs:

D6TBWbRaLtU

Great fucking clutch play by kobe. :cry:cry

stretch
01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Check out Kobe's game winning play vs the Mavs:

D6TBWbRaLtU

Great fucking clutch play by kobe. :cry:cry

this video is retarded

it shows footage from a game back when they still had Shannon Brown and Josh Powell celebrating with Kobe

lefty
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM

No the Mavs double teamed him because they are retarded

They left the real clutch Laker wide open

Ace
DD going fishing...

stretch
Even though Kobe does not have great "clutch" numbers, the fact that he is capable of finding a way to get space in so many ways, and hit basically any shot as long as its not flat out blocked, is what makes him so deadly in crunch-time.

Even though Dirk has a higher rate of conversion on clutch shots, I would prefer Kobe getting the ball generally because of his ability to quickly get open, to get to the hoop for a high percentage shot, as well as hitting heavily contested jumpers.

The threat of Kobe scoring in any way possible, knowing he is not afraid of taking such shots, and the fact he does still have a history of hitting clutch shots on a number of occasions, is why he should be considered the deadliest clutch player in the NBA, regardless of percentages.

stretch
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
No the Mavs double teamed him because they are retarded

They left the real clutch Laker wide open

I don't think the choice to double him was retarded.

The time when they doubled him was retarded. They should have waited a little longer, or doubled him the second he started to make a move to attack, as opposed to doubling him while he was standing in space with over 7 seconds left to score.

Ace
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Even though Kobe does not have great "clutch" numbers, the fact that he is capable of finding a way to get space in so many ways, and hit basically any shot as long as its not flat out blocked, is what makes him so deadly in crunch-time.

Even though Dirk has a higher rate of conversion on clutch shots, I would prefer Kobe getting the ball generally because of his ability to quickly get open, to get to the hoop for a high percentage shot, as well as hitting heavily contested jumpers.

The threat of Kobe scoring in any way possible, knowing he is not afraid of taking such shots, and the fact he does still have a history of hitting clutch shots on a number of occasions, is why he should be considered the deadliest clutch player in the NBA, regardless of percentages.

Stretch THAT n!gga

Giuseppe
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Kobe looks so tough with that goatee:::he has that receeding chin like Barney Fife so the goatee blunts that quite effectively.

DMC
01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Kobe looks so tough with that goatee:::he has that receeding chin like Barney Fife so the goatee blunts that quite effectively.
His forehead looks like a windshield from a Taurus.

Giuseppe
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
His forehead looks like a windshield from a Taurus.

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0104/nba_g_bryant-bulls_mb_576.jpg

Ws2yhBzJjis

HarlemHeat37
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
1. Nowitzki
2. Wade
3. Durant
4. Ginobili
5. Bryant

With the game on the line IMO..

Killakobe81
01-18-2012, 09:05 PM

This is an honest take and I agree. If i just need the shot no dribble and I know a play would get them an open or contested look ...I would take:
1. Dirk
2. Melo
3. Ray Allen
4. Durant
5. Kobe

If i need a play to be made to get open and then shoot:
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Pierce (though he is slipping)
4. Durant
5. Melo

lefty
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't think the choice to double him was retarded.

The time when they doubled him was retarded. They should have waited a little longer, or doubled him the second he started to make a move to attack, as opposed to doubling him while he was standing in space with over 7 seconds left to score.
Good point