PDA

View Full Version : Pop Pulling the Soft Card

timvp
01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Pop pulled the soft card after the loss against the Heat.
I thought in the second half they got real physical, and I thought we folded. The physicality killed us. We had nobody that stepped up. We let the physicality beat us in a lot of different ways — whether it was cuts, or passing or boards. It didn’t matter what it was. Their physicality put us in a ditch.

They beat our ass in the second half. We should be embarrassed by that, playing that soft.Am I the only one who thinks this wasn't a wise time to use that card? Yeah, the Spurs played pretty soft after getting demoralized but I don't think softness had much to do with LeBron going ballistic.

Pop can only use the soft card one or two times a season. This wasn't a smart usage, IMO.

ElNono
01-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't think it's out of place, tbh. As i said on your grades thread, I don't see players taking stuff personal and showing a bit of pride out there. I can understand not being able to stop Lebron and the barrage of 3s, but this team folded before and after that, and nobody rebelled.

All that said, Pop needs to do a bit of soulsearching. If you hire soft players, you can't expect them not to play soft. As far as guys like TD or TP, do you really think they're even listening at this point?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Did he use the soft card at all last year? Maybe once?

I do like that Pop is going a tad more ballistic this year on the sidelines than usual.

Felt like we went through one too many seasons of "They're veterans, they know what to do" stuff.

TJastal
01-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Pop is the one who has gotten soft. Look in the mirror Pop. You resigned Jefferson & Bonner. You play Bonner ridiculous amounts of minutes while you keep better players nailed to the bench.

Just STFU Pop, please.

silverblk mystix
01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Pop is the one who has gotten soft. Look in the mirror Pop. You resigned Jefferson & Bonner. You play Bonner ridiculous amounts of minutes while you keep better players nailed to the bench.

Just STFU Pop, please.

Word.

Interrohater
01-17-2012, 11:45 PM

Just STFU Pop, please.

Tbh, I feel the same.

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Did he use the soft card at all last year? Maybe once?

I do like that Pop is going a tad more ballistic this year on the sidelines than usual.

fck his soft card, the only time he was fired up was when he gave up half way and the bench came in and took back the game into our favor, he gets fired up and wants to coach again...fck that shit is 2 times this season, he tried to pull that shit, again tonight against the heat after blowing a 20pt lead into a +15pt deficit he played that mercy card of his again which to effect didnt bail him out...

Robz4000
01-17-2012, 11:48 PM
No, he's right, they did play soft. Their performance out of the locker room was atrocious. The same things I said in the other thread: no one played real defense and there was no energy. There was a stretch when the offense couldn't buy a basket. Although the Heat were playing solidly on both ends, there was no reason our guys couldn't try to drive to the rim more often, even considering the blatant refball occurring; they were settling for jump shots even while they weren't falling. The team really needs to man up and play a full game tomorrow night, no more of this winless-on-the-road bullcrap.

timvp
01-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Personally, I prefer Pop to wait to use the soft card when the Spurs lose a game against a hardnosed opponent that literally won simply by being tougher. The players may listen to Pop calling them soft tonight but in the back of their minds they are remembering how LeBron was unconscious.

This was just more of a TKO.

SenorSpur
01-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Pop pulled the soft card after the loss against the Heat.

Am I the only one who thinks this wasn't a wise time to use that card? Yeah, the Spurs played pretty soft after getting demoralized but I don't think softness had much to do with LeBron going ballistic.

Pop can only use the soft card one or two times a season. This wasn't a smart usage, IMO.

Yeah, it is a bit early. I thought he should've waited at least for the Rodeo Road trip.

However, in the cases of RJ and Bonner, they deserve regular use of the term - especially on the road.

VBM
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
They're still 0fer on the road...the card is timely, imho

RodNIc91
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Personally, I prefer Pop to wait to use the soft card when the Spurs lose a game against a hardnosed opponent that literally won simply by being tougher.

Im with you on this one but besides perhaps Cory Joseph I didnt see any spur with some fight in them. They could have tried double team him, show agressive D, maybe a hard foul. Lebron did went into Larry Bird meeting MJ but there's nothing worse than watching your team do nothing when Lebron got hot. Basically everyone stared as if Kawhi could've held his own into cooling him.

NRHector
01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Is about the right time to use the soft card, he uses the soft card right before or after the ASG so he had to use it right now because is not a normal season :flag:

ElNono
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Personally, I prefer Pop to wait to use the soft card when the Spurs lose a game against a hardnosed opponent that literally won simply by being tougher. The players may listen to Pop calling them soft tonight but in the back of their minds they are remembering how LeBron was unconscious.

This was just more of a TKO.

We had a 14 point lead to start the 3rd. The first 3 pointer Lebron made was for Miami to take the lead, 5 mins into the 3rd.

Even after all that, it was a 13 point game going into the 4th, 11 points after a Tiago hook 30 secs in. Lebron didn't even score in the 4th. Did TD or TP even play in the 4th? We folded. And Pop folded too.

DMC
01-18-2012, 12:06 AM
They are soft, starting with Tim Duncan all the way to the last dude off the bench. RJ is so soft he's in danger of growing mushrooms out of his back.

Sure they outscored the Heat in the 1st half, but they played soft as soon as Miami went on a run. Everyone on the court in a black jersey was trying to hide.

phxspurfan
01-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Too early to pull the soft card IMO. It's early in the season, the guys were going to respond after this loss (especially against the even softer Magic) since it was embarassing, and probably break the road curse eventually. The Spurs aren't in terrible shape, considering Manu is not playing and they're still #1 in their division. The soft card should probably have been deployed later on when they lost to the Bucks (do they play the Bucks again)?

4>0rings
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Need some 'thugness' on this team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
that soft card and shoutin into players heads...lol bonner just laughs at the fool cause his still gettin minutes everytime he drains a bucket even if he gives up 10pts on the other end

SA210
01-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Just STFU Pop, please.

mexicanjunior
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't think this was about "pulling cards", I think he was just being honest about how his team played. I think he will be saying this more often now that his team isn't completely comprised of vets. The young guys need honest criticism to know how Pop expects them to play going forward, don't think it was some kind of ploy to try and turn the team around.

That said, Pop has no one to blame but himself for this team being so limp dicked. Bonner and Jefferson seeing major minutes will give ED to just about any team...his rotation, his soft beef injection.

chazley
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
We don't have a full indication if we played soft or not. We weren't in that huddle. If we had been in that huddle all night, and maybe heard/saw some of the players reactions during the run, we might be agreeing with Pop.

If he says we were soft, I believe him.

Jahivah
01-18-2012, 12:29 AM
pop is the one who has gotten soft. Look in the mirror pop. You resigned jefferson & bonner. You play bonner ridiculous amounts of minutes while you keep better players nailed to the bench.

Just stfu pop, please.

flawless

SenorSpur
01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't think this was about "pulling cards", I think he was just being honest about how his team played. I think he will be saying this more often now that his team isn't completely comprised of vets. The young guys need honest criticism to know how Pop expects them to play going forward, don't think it was some kind of ploy to try and turn the team around.

That said, Pop has no one to blame but himself for this team being so limp dicked. Bonner and Jefferson seeing major minutes will give ED to just about any team...his rotation, his soft beef injection.

I agree the young guys need the honest criticism and they are going to have to grow up fast. Otherwise this road losing streak will likely continue.

I'd also like to see Pop shake up the lineup if he feels that some players are not playing with the appropriate intensity. RJ didn't deserve to see any 2nd half action. Neal was awful and Bonner was, well Bonner. Perhaps Pop should've turned more to Anderson and Thomas to help fill the void. At least, these guys would've competed hard on every play.

Whisky Dog
01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
AT&T center biggest come court advantage in sports. Delta center (or wherever the fuck the jazz play now) can suck it.

Libri
01-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Im with you on this one but besides perhaps Cory Joseph I didnt see any spur with some fight in them. They could have tried double team him, show agressive D, maybe a hard foul. Lebron did went into Larry Bird meeting MJ but there's nothing worse than watching your team do nothing when Lebron got hot. Basically everyone stared as if Kawhi could've held his own into cooling him.

That's exactly what I saw. Lebron got hot when Leonard was left by himself. There was no attempt of help defense. Once Lebron was on fire, he drove towards the basket, drawing the Spurs defenders toward the paint and forgetting to guard the perimeter.

timvp
01-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I edited the OP to include Pop's actual quote. "They beat our ass" and "soft"?

Damn, Pop went all out.

Trainwreck2100
01-18-2012, 01:30 AM
the fact that lebron went nuclear was something, but Lebron nuclear shouldn't have made the spurs offense shrivel and die

Sean Cagney
01-18-2012, 01:33 AM

Just STFU Pop, please.

BINGO! LOOK IN THE MIRROR YOU IDIOT! You start shit and you play some shit year after year! You get what you deserve POP. He is a F IN IDIOT! PERIOD.

Trainwreck2100
01-18-2012, 01:36 AM
will people stop hating pop for signing RJ, it was a money deal pure and simple. Why else would RJ have opted out of his contract

TJastal
01-18-2012, 01:43 AM
will people stop hating pop for signing RJ, it was a money deal pure and simple. Why else would RJ have opted out of his contract

/shakes head

When are you apologists going to stop this nonsense?

ElNono
01-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the quote. I tried to find it and couldn't.
This team didn't respond well to physicality last season either. Something I did mention before the season started (and I think another poster, FWD?, pointed out too).

I just think it's disingenuous to pretend physical play and roll out guys like RJ, Matty and Blair out there.

TD 21
01-18-2012, 02:08 AM
It may not have been the smartest usage timing wise, but I can't blame him for being overcome with frustration. At the same time, he only has himself and Buford to blame for this. This has been a problem for a few seasons now and they had the audacity to bring back the primary culprits, Jefferson and Bonner. Two veteran who players who have repeatedly shown the proclivity for going fetal in hostile environments.

When will this front office learn that this team is fundamentally flawed? How many times do they have to see this? When this team get's punched in the mouth, they fold. They look timid with the ball, they stop playing with any degree of intensity and they play embarrassing defense. We've seen this for the past three seasons. They put together promising stretches defensively, which when combined with their strong offense, solid rebounding and overall depth, seemingly makes them a team capable of contending . . . but in the end, it always ends up being fools gold. It's past time they make a trade to balance out this team.

therealtruth
01-18-2012, 03:51 AM
The team is soft. They try to win games by outshooting opponents instead of trying to play some hard physical defense. That's not going to get it done on the road.

mathbzh
01-18-2012, 04:25 AM
When you quit and pull you starters out of the game when it is still winnable I don't think you can play the soft card.
Monitoring your players minute is fine. But you will not win many games against top teams if you play your best players 32/33 minutes (that was probably the plan with TP and Duncan coming back for the last 8 minutes).

The fact Pops like dropping games bothers me sometimes. It was not really an issue when we had hard nosed team of veteran. But I am not sure it is a good thing with all the young kids.
If we are getting embarrassed, I'd rather have our so-called Stars showing what they are made of.

Spursfanfromafar
01-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Pop pulled the soft card after the loss against the Heat.Am I the only one who thinks this wasn't a wise time to use that card? Yeah, the Spurs played pretty soft after getting demoralized but I don't think softness had much to do with LeBron going ballistic.

<poppscyhology (pun unintended)>Timvp, what if the players know what you know and think that Pop has called that card a bit early themselves? Is it not a message that his patience is running this low? </poppsychology>

diego
01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
When you quit and pull you starters out of the game when it is still winnable I don't think you can play the soft card.
Monitoring your players minute is fine. But you will not win many games against top teams if you play your best players 32/33 minutes (that was probably the plan with TP and Duncan coming back for the last 8 minutes).

The fact Pops like dropping games bothers me sometimes. It was not really an issue when we had hard nosed team of veteran. But I am not sure it is a good thing with all the young kids.
If we are getting embarrassed, I'd rather have our so-called Stars showing what they are made of.

this is what bothers me. For the past 5-6 years Pop is obsessed with monitoring minutes and pacing the team, when the spurs "creed" is to relentlessly pound the rock. I understand taking care of Duncan because of his age. I understand that RJ and Bonner are intrinsically soft and we dont have much else (I'd still rather they play less, but its not the point here). What drives me insane is the way Pop just gives up on games. How can you demand excellence when you routinely mail it in the second things become adverse?

The other thing that really annoyed me about last night was seeing KL left alone on Lebron in the 3rd, and his teammates not even trying to help him or even encourage him. I think thats the kind of experience that can stunt the growth of a player, demoralize him to the point of trauma. Its one thing to get burned by a better player, and another to get burned while your teammates passively watch. As the coach Pop has responsibility as well.

Pop is trying to do too many things at once instead of focusing on playing winning baskteball. And with a young team, sending those mixed messages can be very dangerous

polandprzem
01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
I think Pop did what he had to do

In the second half you could see him being pissed. And Spurs were careless with the ball and they had no strong play to feed from or survive from.
They were pushed and did not respond and let James slap both of the cheeks well four of them actually. And spurs seems to like it.

Anyway I do not thing a soft card has the power it had few years back.
But something must be addressed now if the spurs are going to improve the game.
Richard should take it personally

Orlando game

I predict 37 21 from Howard ...

Cane
01-18-2012, 09:03 AM
The fouls that the Spurs did make on LeBron were pretty pathetic. Sure, LeBron is a phenom of a beast, and he actually missed some layups, but they basically invited him into the paint.

Anyone remember when Antonio McDyess raged against his fellow Spurs during the playoffs? Well, we saw a lot of those same weaknesses versus the Grizz like we did in the second half of last night's game. Once the opposing team starts to hound Parker, he becomes a very average player that struggles to get a good flow going. Both the Heat and the Grizz have long athletes that can really disrupt passing lanes in addition to their young legs that can make things difficult for TP9 and company.

Spurs need a kick in the ass and hopefully pulling the soft card will help. A good % of the season has already passed and the Spurs are still winless on the road. We're like a less tough Sloan-led Jazz team

alfahdlan
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
in actuality pop wants his team to be soft. they shun physicality until playoffs is reached. can they risk another man on the injured list? Nope. They hope to hang on as much as possible and bring all they have during the playoffs. Lesson learned, they cannot go far when the team isn't complete.

jeebus
01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Where's Robert Horry when you need him. He would set a pick that has Lebron fly out of bounds and into one of the empty seats.

Nathan89
01-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Just STFU Pop, please.

Xevious
01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Pop is just pissed at the effort, and he should be. The Spurs lose this game regardless, because Lebron was simply unguardable in the second half. But they still need to put up a fight. The Spurs just checked out mentally after Lebron hit a few shots.

Nathan89
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I surprised Splitter doesn't give less effort because of the way Pop treats him. I mean seeing I guy that you are obviously better than play much more than you has to be disheartening.

silverblk mystix
01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Pop, please step back to an office job or retire...

Find a YOUNG passionate coach and give the Spurs a new start...

WeNeedLength
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I wonder if Gary Neal was responding to Pop with this tweet:

GNeal14 Gary Neal
RT @MuggsyBogues: "You can motivate by fear and reward, but these are temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation."

GrandeDavid
01-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Pop pulled the soft card after the loss against the Heat.Am I the only one who thinks this wasn't a wise time to use that card? Yeah, the Spurs played pretty soft after getting demoralized but I don't think softness had much to do with LeBron going ballistic.

He spoke the truth. There's not tactic to it, just call them soft when they are. No excuse for that third quarter, even Lebron's explosion. Go to hack-a-Lebron if you have to! There's just gotta be a way to prevent such a meltdown. I think the Spurs rested on their laurels a bit at halftime then reverse momentum smacked them hard and they didn't have the mettle to get back up. But, there are many games ahead and the team will get better. But, no, I have no qualms whatsoever about Popovich calling that performance soft. He'd have looked pretty uninterested not making that claim.

Taco
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Soft Coaching !

therealtruth
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I surprised Splitter doesn't give less effort because of the way Pop treats him. I mean seeing I guy that you are obviously better than play much more than you has to be disheartening.
That's the kind of thing that can destroy a guy's confidence. It's ridiculous.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/13/young-spurs-put-away-portland/

Pop, please step back to an office job or retire...

Find a YOUNG passionate coach and give the Spurs a new start...

I agree. Pop just can't motivate the team anymore. Without Manu's on court leadership that gets exposed even more. Pop's stated goal was getting better defensively and they have some pieces in Kawhi, Danny, and Tiago to compete on the defense end. But they really haven't improved on that end of the court. I could care less about the offense. That's fool's gold. If they're not defending better they're not going to win anything.

DMC
01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I wonder if Gary Neal was responding to Pop with this tweet:
Pretty sure he was referring to the district attorney's office.

DJB
01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Maybe if we didn't have such a soft team, then this wouldn't happen.

I'm all for pulling Rasheed Wallace out of retirement.

dbestpro
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Bonner and Blair are 2 ply soft.

ElNono
01-18-2012, 10:00 PM
still soft, IMO. Orlando was awful after their b2b2b.

ducks
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
their d tonight was good
duncan was to tired to push dwight off the block

callo1
01-19-2012, 01:50 AM

With Pop's Bonner > Splitter decisions this season, I don't think Pop has the credibility to call his team soft.

Message to Pop: Put your best team on the floor at the right times during the game, and then you can play the "soft" card if they don't produce.

I agree that they were demoralized, but I think it came from the horrid calls/lack of calls in the first half. Tbh, the Spurs haven't had that mental toughness (outside of Manu) since Horry and Bowen left the team, and ironically, while Manu is the most mentally tough, he has been the most pysically injured...and that is really crummy for Manu, as hard as he works.

The smartest thing Pop has ever done is shun accolades from himself by saying it is the players that make coaches look good. With an aging TD and questionable lineups, it is clear that Pop was correct in diverting attention away from himself. At some point, the public is going to grow tired of Pop's same old tune. The dog and pony show is beginning to wear itself thin.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pop is a darn good coach, but be honest, would Sloan be getting more out of this team right now?

I think any resonable fan would recognize that Sloan did more with less compared to any other coach in the league during his tenure, all the while, people like Phil Jackson became renowned as a "Zen Master". It is really funny how the "Zen Master" always relied on perfect timing for his success. It was perfect timing when he got in on the action in Chicago right as they were in the process of turning the corner ( in part due to an aging Pistons team), then he got out while the getting was good, then arrived in LA yet again under perfect conditions.

Later, an aging Shaq came along and presto, he was out again while Kobe was flying solo w/o a big to help him. The prodigals son then returned once again, and got Gasol along with another ring, then knew when to get out of LA yet again.

When did Phil ever have any success building a team in a small market?

Phil doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Sloan...yes, even considering the championships. Funny thing is, as a Spurs fan, I always hated the Jazz and Sloan, but after Malone and Stockton retired, I realized that Sloan was simply a top notch coach. I was dissapointed to see that primadonna Deron Williams run him out of the business of coaching.

So what will Pop's legacy be?

I hope Pop pulls his head out of the sand and realizes that Tiago>Bonner, he can't rely on that tired old dog and pony show that he has been playing with the last few years, and puts his best foot forward when making decisions to insure success... wherever success may be for this team.

I give Pop much credit, he knows players>coach is good for job security.

objective
01-19-2012, 01:58 AM
re: Pop calling the team soft . . .

I was very disappointed that after Lebron was re-inserted in the game to disrespect and clown on the Spurs so he could pad his stats that nobody did anything. They laid down like cowardly dogs. They didn't have to be goons, but at least stand up for themselves.

As a comparison (http://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html) (jan. 18th article):

David Locke, Jazz radio pbp-man, has such a situation with the Spurs as one of his "5 Moments that changed and defined the Utah Jazz" and led to their turnaround.

Today I talked to some of the Jazz players about moments that changed and defined this team. The consensus was the following 5.

1) Josh Howard’s flagrant foul in San Antonio

With 3.3 seconds left in the third quarter the Utah Jazz were well on their way to a third blowout loss in 4 games. The Jazz were trailing 82-60 the rout was on. On the final possession of the 3rd quarter the Spurs had moved into highlight mode and James Anderson drove the lane for a dunk. Josh Howard blasted Anderson and sent the message that the Jazz would not allow a team to run rough shot over them for the entire night. The Jazz won the 4th quarter that night 29-21 and while they were still on the wrong side of a blowout, but they held onto their pride.

The Spurs don't have that kind of pride. They aren't a junkyard dog team, they aren't a proud team, they're a Jefferson-Bonner team.

therealtruth
01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
With Pop's Bonner > Splitter decisions this season, I don't think Pop has the credibility to call his team soft.

Message to Pop: Put your best team on the floor at the right times during the game, and then you can play the "soft" card if they don't produce.

I agree that they were demoralized, but I think it came from the horrid calls/lack of calls in the first half. Tbh, the Spurs haven't had that mental toughness (outside of Manu) since Horry and Bowen left the team, and ironically, while Manu is the most mentally tough, he has been the most pysically injured...and that is really crummy for Manu, as hard as he works.

The smartest thing Pop has ever done is shun accolades from himself by saying it is the players that make coaches look good. With an aging TD and questionable lineups, it is clear that Pop was correct in diverting attention away from himself. At some point, the public is going to grow tired of Pop's same old tune. The dog and pony show is beginning to wear itself thin.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pop is a darn good coach, but be honest, would Sloan be getting more out of this team right now?

I think any resonable fan would recognize that Sloan did more with less compared to any other coach in the league during his tenure, all the while, people like Phil Jackson became renowned as a "Zen Master". It is really funny how the "Zen Master" always relied on perfect timing for his success. It was perfect timing when he got in on the action in Chicago right as they were in the process of turning the corner ( in part due to an aging Pistons team), then he got out while the getting was good, then arrived in LA yet again under perfect conditions.

Later, an aging Shaq came along and presto, he was out again while Kobe was flying solo w/o a big to help him. The prodigals son then returned once again, and got Gasol along with another ring, then knew when to get out of LA yet again.

When did Phil ever have any success building a team in a small market?

Phil doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Sloan...yes, even considering the championships. Funny thing is, as a Spurs fan, I always hated the Jazz and Sloan, but after Malone and Stockton retired, I realized that Sloan was simply a top notch coach. I was dissapointed to see that primadonna Deron Williams run him out of the business of coaching.

So what will Pop's legacy be?

I hope Pop pulls his head out of the sand and realizes that Tiago>Bonner, he can't rely on that tired old dog and pony show that he has been playing with the last few years, and puts his best foot forward when making decisions to insure success... wherever success may be for this team.

I give Pop much credit, he knows players>coach is good for job security.

I agree with your sentiments about Pop. But no need to bash on PJ. It takes a different type of skill to take a talented team over the top than to make a small market team successful. They're different. PJ's the best at what he does and other coaches like Sloan are good at what they do.

Manufan909
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
It takes less skill to take a talented team over the top than to make a small market team successful. They're different. PJ's good at what he does and other coaches like Sloan are the best at what they do.

fify

Come one man, it only takes a pretty good-great coach to win with prime Jordan, and prime Kobe+prime Shaq/close to prime Gasol. Idk if I'd say Pop is better than PJ though... PJ might, and I stress, MIGHT have gotten the Spurs a repeat or 3-peat somewhere between 1999-2007. Maybe Phil would have kept Nazr/Rasho/Bowen/Ian for longer, signed Scola, and never signed RJ/Bonner, who's to say? And let's not even get into if Splitter/Hill/Blair/Hairston/Dragic/Leanord/Green would have made it here under him. Too many variables, but I still think Timmy might have 5 rings with Phil. It might also be possible that Phil can't do more with less like Pop can, that he needs to be on the cusp of greatness, with the greatest player of all time on his team, or 2 franchise-level players at once.

timvp
01-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Bump.

So after the loss to the Kings, Pop basically said the Kings hit some jumpers down the stretch to win the game. Personally, I thought the Spurs were a lot softer tonight (mentally and physically) than they were against the Heat. The Kings basically just hustled and ran their way to a victory while the Spurs never really woke up.

In other words, I thought tonight was more Soft Card worthy. But maybe I'm the only one . . .

NRHector
01-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Bump.

So after the loss to the Kings, Pop basically said the Kings hit some jumpers down the stretch to win the game. Personally, I thought the Spurs were a lot softer tonight (mentally and physically) than they were against the Heat. The Kings basically just hustled and ran their way to a victory while the Spurs never really woke up.

In other words, I thought tonight was more Soft Card worthy. But maybe I'm the only one . . .

RJ skipping the 3 and passing it proves your point

ElNono
01-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Bump.

Whose gonna pull the Soft Card on Pop?

Frankly, some of our players own the entire Soft deck.

Bill_Brasky
01-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Bump.

Our dudes were so fuckin soft.....

TJastal
01-21-2012, 03:59 AM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/985/628x471.jpg

Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson, upon hearing the news that spurs' training facilities would be switching to the Charmin 2-ply ultra soft rolls.