PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker is Holding The Team Back

Jahivah
01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Duncan is no longer a top tier PF in this league but a serviceable Center. Manu when he comes back should come off the bench. In Kwawi and Danny Green we have legitimate starters at the 2 and 3 positions who can score from distance or off the dribble not to mention whom are both excellent defenders. Between Blair and Tiago we can get some solid minutes from the 4 spot.

RJ is not a starting SF on a contending team at this point. He too should be coming off the bench to provide scoring and shooting. Sort of a Gary neal role; instant offense. Bonner: I won't even touch that one. Guy is utter garbage.

Problem with the team is Tony Parker. He is not a facilitator and absolutely horrendous on defense. For all his offensive strengths Parker neglects to remember that he is a Point Guard on a team with multiple scoring options. When he takes over a game like he did early tonight it leaves guys standing around and becoming complacent. Eventually we settle into a watch Tony Parker dribble and run in circles for 18 seconds then rush a shot.

This team will not win a championship with Tony Parke at the point. Not the type of ball that we want to play. It's time to start exploring trade options. Corey Joseph for all his offensive liabilities plays like a true PG; looks to get the team involved. Not to mention his ability to run a half court offense unlike the afore mentioned Parker.

I say throw an offer at NJ and see if we can get D-Will.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
lame

ChumpDumper
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes, Joseph > Parker.

It is written.

timvp
01-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I should have stopped reading after Kwawi. The Spurs scored 63 points in the first half while supposedly standing around and watching Parker. The Heat trapped him in the second half to get the ball out of his hands and nobody else did anything. Parker was pretty bad in the second half but not worthy of this thread.

This team will not win a championship with Tony Parke at the point.

That's either a bad take or a cleverly designed sentence.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
this thread is approve by CoM

DesignatedT
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM
:td

chazley
01-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Duncan is no longer a top tier PF in this league but a serviceable Center. Manu when he comes back should come off the bench. In Kwawi and Danny Green we have legitimate starters at the 2 and 3 positions who can score from distance or off the dribble not to mention whom are both excellent defenders. Between Blair and Tiago we can get some solid minutes from the 4 spot.

RJ is not a starting SF on a contending team at this point. He too should be coming off the bench to provide scoring and shooting. Sort of a Gary neal role; instant offense. Bonner: I won't even touch that one. Guy is utter garbage.

Problem with the team is Tony Parker. He is not a facilitator and absolutely horrendous on defense. For all his offensive strengths Parker neglects to remember that he is a Point Guard on a team with multiple scoring options. When he takes over a game like he did early tonight it leaves guys standing around and becoming complacent. Eventually we settle into a watch Tony Parker dribble and run in circles for 18 seconds then rush a shot.

This team will not win a championship with Tony Parke at the point. Not the type of ball that we want to play. It's time to start exploring trade options. Corey Joseph for all his offensive liabilities plays like a true PG; looks to get the team involved. Not to mention his ability to run a half court offense unlike the afore mentioned Parker.

RJ can't go to the bench until Manu gets back.

We played awesome in the first half, arguably our best half of basketball this season, considering the quality of opponent. That was when Tony was dominating. Not sure what you're trying to say.

therealtruth
01-18-2012, 04:12 AM
I should have stopped reading after Kwawi. The Spurs scored 63 points in the first half while supposedly standing around and watching Parker. The Heat trapped him in the second half to get the ball out of his hands and nobody else did anything. Parker was pretty bad in the second half but not worthy of this thread.

Scoring 63 and allowing 49 isn't a sound strategy for winning games. If I was the team that had 49 I would feel pretty good because I know they're not going to shoot the same way once we make some defensive adjustments.

TJastal
01-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Scoring 63 and allowing 49 isn't a sound strategy for winning games. If I was the team that had 49 I would feel pretty good because I know they're not going to shoot the same way once we make some defensive adjustments.

The "defensive adjustments" consisted of giving RJ a dirty look, applying a simple zone defense to the one man dribbling exhibition named Tony Parker, and taking a shit on the turd towers. Did I miss anthing else?

Russo21
01-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote To Note:

"Timmy and Steve are two good examples of people taking care of their bodies, that's for sure. They're trim, cut and slim. They watch what they eat and they take care of themselves. You can see it really shows on both of them."
—Coach Gregg Popovich on veterans Tim Duncan and Steve Nash.

Why is Pop taking such close notice of Steve Nash? Maybe a trade's in the works to get the great steve nash to san antonio? That'd be sweet. Nash and duncan have mad respect for each other.

JaVale McGee in the doghouse and getting benched after his showpony dunk (i saw nothing wrong with it geez wtf) hopefully he stays in the doghouse.

Would love to see McGee and Nash in silver and black no matter what it takes.

mathbzh
01-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote To Note:
Why is Pop taking such close notice of Steve Nash? Maybe a trade's in the works to get the great steve nash to san antonio? That'd be sweet. Nash and duncan have mad respect for each other.

That would at least improve our defensive efficiency

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote To Note:

"Timmy and Steve are two good examples of people taking care of their bodies, that's for sure. They're trim, cut and slim. They watch what they eat and they take care of themselves. You can see it really shows on both of them."

JaVale McGee in the doghouse and getting benched after his showpony dunk (i saw nothing wrong with it geez wtf) hopefully he stays in the doghouse.

McGee would be a HUGE pickup for the Spurs at the moment. Love that

portnoy1
01-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Parker imho is not as good as people say he is (top point guard). But over the years I also attribute Parker's play to Pop. First of all Parker is not a very passer, he is a scoring point guard. I hate it too, but when he runs around looking to get in the lane and doesn't make the smart pass Pop never says anything. Pop infact always tells him to be aggressive offensively. He really is doing what Pop wants him to do.

On defense I give alot of the perimeter guys a pass. Once they sure up the 4/5 situation defensively I am not gonna say anything about his defense. If he pressures a guy and the guy blows by him, then its a 50/50 he is gonna get the help needed depending on who is the game at 4 and 5.

I don't like Tony Parker's game one bit. I don't like that his jumpshot isn't consistent for an 11yr vet and that he hasn't improved his playmaking skills. However, Pop is the real culprit for giving up on Parker and succumbing to his limited abilities (speed). In the 04-05 season Pop told the reporters that Tony Parker is not a point guard, he plays his game and I just take what I can get from him point-guardwise.

Parker and Pop need each other, Pop has found a cheap solution for a 20pt scorer in Parker and Parker can play his game and score 20 because Pop has a plethora of shooters on the floor for him.

ChuckD
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote To Note:

Pop is usually complementary of players on other teams. Nash was in town. Nothing to see here.

If Pop benched Malik for puling his jersey up over his face, what on EARTH do you think he would do to a dumb fuck who throws it off the backboard to himself in a blowout loss? My guess is that Jimmy Hoffa would finally have some company.

Cane
01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
The first half showed Tony at his best. His teardrops were automatic and he even got a shot or two from midrange.

His limited opportunities in the second half showed why I'm not exactly a fan of Tony Parker's, and a lot of the same weaknesses from the Grizz series were on display again. The Heat and Grizz both have long athletes that hound Parker, leading to bad decisions and a bad flow offensive flow. Parker and co. simply struggle to bring the ball up the court and the passing lanes get congested. Parker's handles, jumpshot, and court vision can become pretty suspect, and he often takes the selfish shot rather than the fundamental play

Imo Parker's game can be too predictable and countered. Here's to hoping he can prove me wrong, but I am in the camp where Parker and his troubles should've been traded away...

mathbzh
01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
In the 04-05 season Pop told the reporters that Tony Parker is not a point guard, he plays his game and I just take what I can get from him point-guardwise.

Parker and Pop need each other, Pop has found a cheap solution for a 20pt scorer in Parker and Parker can play his game and score 20 because Pop has a plethora of shooters on the floor for him.

I don't know what you mean by "not a point guard". Maybe not a traditional point guard (Stockton). But if you pay, attention you'll see there are more and more of these scoring PG... starting with last year MVP.

Rose jumpshot is not exactly great (44% eFG% last year just like Parker).
He is for sure not a pass first PG (9.9 AP48, 9.7 for Parker).

Then you have the Westbrook, Harris, Ellis (ok he plays mostly SG)...
At least, Parker is not jacking up jumpshot like some other guys on that list.

I understand you can prefer someone a more traditional PG like Deron Williams... but I didn't notice his teams have had much more success than teams with scoring PG.

Seriously, I don't get how DWill would change this team into a contender.
He would not be able to improve our offensive efficiency much since it is already really good and I doubt he would improve our defense (I don't think he can change Bonner into Olajuwon).

I would still trade Parker for DWill because Deron is the better player. But I don't think that would do wonders for the Spurs.

acoelho1
01-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Of all the things to complain about this team, TP is very low on my list and until Pop limits RJ, Blair and Bonner's minutes we will have results like this on the road. I wonder if Pop will play Blair all year long as the starter and then a week b4 playoffs, insert Splitter in the starting line-up like he did with McDyess.

therealtruth
01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Of all the things to complain about this team, TP is very low on my list and until Pop limits RJ, Blair and Bonner's minutes we will have results like this on the road. I wonder if Pop will play Blair all year long as the starter and then a week b4 playoffs, insert Splitter in the starting line-up like he did with McDyess.

It's looking like that. Blair's not growing 3 inches. The elite forwards in the West will continue to have their way with him. Pop has to consider what it would take to get a backup center so he can avoid Bonner and Blair playing together.

Dex
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM

That's funny, because I could've sworn we already won three of them.

therealtruth
01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Parker's best position might be SG or playing of the ball. That's why the TJ and TP lineups seemed to do pretty well.

TheChillFactor
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM

TBH we ain't going to do much with Tim Dunca at Power Forward either...

lefty
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
10/10 thread

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I should have stopped reading after Kwawi.

:lol

gospursgojas
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM

ducks
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
this thread is funny