PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish deadline - TODAY

stretch
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
hopefully they get a deal done.

I think the Rangers need to just go ahead and sign both him, and Fielder. And then tell Fielder to lose some weight (although he will probably drop about 15-20 lbs in the Texas summer heat lol)

Monostradamus
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I hear the Darvish deal is basically done.

I doubt Fielder comes here, as much as I want him to. Texas doesn't like dealing with The Baseball AntiChrist, which could be a big problem. All of his clients have either used Texas to get a bigger deal elsewhere, or signed with Texas for an incredibly stupid deal that the team immediately regretted.

TheMACHINE
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
so its gonna be like 130 mill for 5 years?

monosylab1k
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
so its gonna be like 130 mill for 5 years?

50 mil of that is the posting fee, but yeah those would be the final numbers. Crazy money for a guy who hasn't pitched one inning but that's the going rate for the Nips.

monosylab1k
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
lol it would be funny tho for Anaheim to spend stupid money on Wilson/Pujols only for Texas to negate that by getting Fielder/Darvish and being the AL West frontrunners agian.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
I hope we sign both. Hambone may be on his way out though if that happens. 4 hours and counting.

monosylab1k
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Hambone may be on his way out though if that happens.

That's fine. He's not worth a long term deal. He's brittle and his body is already breaking down. It would be stupid to give him big money for 5-6 years.

Texas Chili Dog
01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Darvish is gonna sign for 6 years like the Rangers want.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Darvish is at the ballpark!!!!

Texas Chili Dog
01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
5 years with a player option for a 6th year

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I heard that Fielder is still in constant talks with Texas...I would love it.

Texas Chili Dog
01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Get Fielder for 6 years with opt out after 3. The Rangers will be selling that like crazy.

Too bad Fielder's agent is satan.

Texas Chili Dog
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
http://b.static.memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/12/13048/13361950.jpg

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Get Fielder for 6 years with opt out after 3. The Rangers will be selling that like crazy.

Too bad Fielder's agent is satan.

True..but Satan and Fielder have waited out this Darvish deal because he really wants to play here...hopefully we can get something in writing.

TheMACHINE
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
lol it would be funny tho for Anaheim to spend stupid money on Wilson/Pujols only for Texas to negate that by getting Fielder/Darvish and being the AL West frontrunners agian.

Would be funnier if the Rangers pretty much replaced thier Ace, and didnt get Fielder....while the Angels ADDED another ace and also arguably the best player of all time. The 2 sceanrios will be decided simply by a Fielder signing.

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Would be funnier if the Rangers pretty much replaced thier Ace, and didnt get Fielder....while the Angels ADDED another ace and also arguably the best player of all time. The 2 sceanrios will be decided simply by a Fielder signing.

I'm a HUGE Pujols fan...but the best player of all time? Come on dude...just..come on.

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
6'5", 216 lbs? Didn't realize Yu was that big.

TheMACHINE
01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm a HUGE Pujols fan...but the best player of all time? Come on dude...just..come on.

"Arguably"

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
"Arguably"

Not even...

Spursfan092120
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
"Arguably"

Guys better than Pujols

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Christy Matthewson
Ted Williams
Rogers Hornsby
Joe DiMaggio
Walter Johnson
Lou Gehrig
Honus Wagner
Cy Young
Mickey Mantle
Pete Rose
Sandy Koufax
Nolan Ryan

I could go for a while....Today? Yes...I would call him the best player today..but you're talking about a sport that's been going for a LOONG time...he's not even top 25...

monosylab1k
01-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Guys better than Pujols

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Christy Matthewson
Ted Williams
Rogers Hornsby
Joe DiMaggio
Walter Johnson
Lou Gehrig
Honus Wagner
Cy Young
Mickey Mantle
Pete Rose
Sandy Koufax
Nolan Ryan

I could go for a while....Today? Yes...I would call him the best player today..but you're talking about a sport that's been going for a LOONG time...he's not even top 25...

In his own generation Pujols wasn't the best. A-Rod was always better than Pujols until this season. and even right now I'd put a few guys ahead of him (Cabrera, Gonzalez, Kemp).

Spursfan092120
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
In his own generation Pujols wasn't the best. A-Rod was always better than Pujols until this season. and even right now I'd put a few guys ahead of him (Cabrera, Gonzalez, Kemp).

I could see that...so...he's arguably the best player today...but I could name about 50+ players all time better than him off the top of my head....

monosylab1k
01-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I could see that...so...he's arguably the best player today...but I could name about 50+ players all time better than him off the top of my head....

not 50+ imo, probably not even 25+, but yeah he's not "arguably" the best ever by any stretch.

Obstructed_View
01-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Regardless, he's not going to be anywhere near that good for the next ten years, especially the last five or six of that contract. As good as he's been really doesn't matter.

TheMACHINE
01-19-2012, 01:37 AM
He doesnt have to be THAT good....and i think thats expected.

TheMACHINE
01-19-2012, 01:48 AM
not 50+ imo, probably not even 25+, but yeah he's not "arguably" the best ever by any stretch.

At age 30, he already has more homers than Babe Ruth, more hits than Pete Rose, more RBIs than Hank Aaron, more runs than Rickey Henderson did at 30....is it really a stretch?

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 02:02 AM
It's not a stretch to say he'll probably be the greatest right-handed hitter who ever lived, when you consider postseason accomplishments too. A-Rod, Schmidt, and some other obvious ones are also in the running, but another 5-6 years of 30/100 will probably nail that down.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Pujols >>> A-Rod

Pujols was one of the most clutch hitters of all time, while A-Rod was known as unclutch for more or less his entire career.

Spurminator
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
At age 30

I still don't know if I buy that. He looked 30 when he was allegedly 22.

TheMACHINE
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
^^lol

monosylab1k
01-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Pujols >>> A-Rod

Pujols was one of the most clutch hitters of all time, while A-Rod was known as unclutch for more or less his entire career.

As a hitter I can see the argument that Pujols is slight better than A-Rod, perhaps dramatically so in the clutch.

But when you also factor in the fact that A-Rod was one of the best defensive shortstops of his era, and while Pujols was a solid first baseman, a first baseman's defense isn't nearly as valuable as a shortstop's, I give the overall nod to A-Rod.

Spursfan092120
01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
It's not a stretch to say he'll probably be the greatest right-handed hitter who ever lived, when you consider postseason accomplishments too. A-Rod, Schmidt, and some other obvious ones are also in the running, but another 5-6 years of 30/100 will probably nail that down.

Right handed hitters off the top of my head better than Pujols

Willie Mays
Joe DiMaggio
Honus Wagner (pretty sure he was a righty)
Hank Aaron
Frank Thomas (debatable)
Jimmie Foxx
Rogers Hornsby
Frank Robinson (also debatable)

he's probably top 10 though...you're looking at WAY too long of a history in this sport. Pujols is a great hitter...but not the best righty of all time...and I don't think he has enough years left to pass Willie, Joe, Hank, or Honus.

BUMP
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Right handed hitters off the top of my head better than Pujols

Willie Mays
Joe DiMaggio
Honus Wagner (pretty sure he was a righty)
Hank Aaron
Frank Thomas (debatable)
Jimmie Foxx
Rogers Hornsby
Frank Robinson (also debatable)

he's probably top 10 though...you're looking at WAY too long of a history in this sport. Pujols is a great hitter...but not the best righty of all time...and I don't think he has enough years left to pass Willie, Joe, Hank, or Honus.

I have to agree with this and baseball is such a weird sport in the fact that just the style of play has changed drastically over the years which makes it even harder to compare players from different eras

Spursfan092120
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I have to agree with this and baseball is such a weird sport in the fact that just the style of play has changed drastically over the years which makes it even harder to compare players from different eras

Exactly...can't compare them...but if DD is trying to say Pujols is a better hitter than Willie or DiMaggio...no way.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
He doesnt have to be THAT good....and i think thats expected.

If you're counting the addition of one of the greatest players of all time, then clearly that's your expectation. You're welcome to back away from it, but then your original post doesn't really carry much weight. You've got a team that signed a guy who completely came apart in the postseason to be their ace and then taken a hall of fame guy and signed him for an incredibly large contract that runs until he's likely to be several years beyond useless.

DeadlyDynasty
01-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Exactly...can't compare them...but if DD is trying to say Pujols is a better hitter than Willie or DiMaggio...no way.

Yeah, it's hard to compare different eras but Pujols is right up there with the best of them, imo. I did forget about Willie Mays, but I'd still take Pujols over Joe D. Look at the #'s...Pujols has him beat in a bunch of them and he's still got a good 5-6 years left--by the time he's done he'll have passed just about every RH hitter on that list. They aren't empty #'s on losing ballclubs either. Pujols' teams have competed every year, and he's won 2 of 3 WS.

The Yankee Clipper did fuck Marilyn Monroe though, so if you wanna rate him higher b/c of that then fine

TheMACHINE
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
If you're counting the addition of one of the greatest players of all time, then clearly that's your expectation. You're welcome to back away from it, but then your original post doesn't really carry much weight. You've got a team that signed a guy who completely came apart in the postseason to be their ace and then taken a hall of fame guy and signed him for an incredibly large contract that runs until he's likely to be several years beyond useless.

Im not backing away from anything. He might not be the best of all time...but he is probably the best right now. Thats fine if you dont want to believe it, but adding him to a mediocre offensive line up is going to be a BIG improvement. He might not be as good in years 7,8,9,10 but by then, the investment returned will already be worth it.

As for pitching, We're not expecting Wilson to be our Ace...he is our 3rd pitcher in a pitcher friendly ball park. If he can get us another 15 wins that Piniero or Chatwood couldnt get us, then thats a plus.

Spursfan092120
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it's hard to compare different eras but Pujols is right up there with the best of them, imo. I did forget about Willie Mays, but I'd still take Pujols over Joe D. Look at the #'s...Pujols has him beat in a bunch of them and he's still got a good 5-6 years left--by the time he's done he'll have passed just about every RH hitter on that list. They aren't empty #'s on losing ballclubs either. Pujols' teams have competed every year, and he's won 2 of 3 WS.

The Yankee Clipper did fuck Marilyn Monroe though, so if you wanna rate him higher b/c of that then fine

I don't see him being better than Hornsby though...and imo, he ain't touching Willie or Joe D. I guess we could keep going, but it's really pointless..the era thing really keeps you from comparing them.