(10-1) Giants: 3
(10-1) 49ers: 7

M5_i07XFGz8

NFC Title Game
(14-3) Giants: 15
(15-2) 49ers: 13

oolJWBuv7bo

Two of the hardest hitting games of all time. A few questions

A) Does a healthy Joe Montana defeat the Bills in the Super Bowl?
B) If Craig doesn't cough up the football (changing his legacy with Niners forever) do the 49ers finish off the 3-peat behind Young vs the Bills?

BUMP
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
A) Does a healthy Joe Montana defeat the Bills in the Super Bowl?

apparently since the quarterback doesn't matter in the NFL, I'd have to say no. The Giants beat the 49ers then beat the Bills in the Superbowl. Therefore, the Bills>9ers.

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
apparently since the quarterback doesn't matter in the NFL, I'd have to say no. The Giants beat the 49ers then beat the Bills in the Superbowl. Therefore, the Bills>9ers.
The Giants beat the Niners backup QB after arguably the weakest fumble in NFL history

If Steve Young takes a knee.....the Niners win

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
The Giants beat the Niners backup QB after arguably the weakest fumble in NFL history

If Steve Young takes a knee.....the Niners win

What you fail to mention is that the Giants back-up QB (Jeff Hostetler) is the one who beat them--in San Francisco

Jesus Christ you've cornered the market on DUMB:rollin

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Does a healthy Phil Simms beat the shit out of the 49ers?

NewcastleKEG
01-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Does a healthy Phil Simms beat the shit out of the 49ers?
That should possibly be Question #3

But Niners already defeated Simms. There is a reason Roger Craig NEVER carried the football for the Niners again. Think about that, until this season he was still the franchises all time leading rusher and they dropped him weeks after the game.

That's what a legacy changing fumble like that will do. Costing the team a 3-peat was too much

JoeTait75
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
If Craig doesn't cough up the football (changing his legacy with Niners forever) do the 49ers finish off the 3-peat behind Young vs the Bills?

I'm going to say no to this. The Giants beat Buffalo in the SB because they dominated TOP- they had the ball something like two-thirds of the game. I don't think San Francisco had the kind of ball-control offense that could have kept the K-Gun off the field the way New York's did.

As for Roger Craig, he was 30 years old and averaged 3.1 yards per carry during the 1990 season. No doubt that fumble affected his legacy, but he was clearly on the downside of his career anyway.

Pelicans78
01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
The Bills team was awesome. JoeTait is right about TOP. That was a big factor.

I don't think the Niners beat the Bills with Steve Young. Hos was already in rhythm playing for weeks after the Simms injury. Young would have had too much pressure and probably choked like he did against the Cowboys in back to back seasons.

Not sure who would have won between the Bills or Niners with Montana, but the Bills were the best team that season. The Niners offense wasn't that great compared to Buffalo's that season. The Giants defense was awesome that year which is why they could slow down Buffalo's offense. I don't think the Niners defense would have had the same impact.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
SB XXV is still the most painful sports memory for me. Norwood unjustly gets the blame for that, but a do-or-die 47 yd fg outdoors to win a SB is no easy task. I blame the defense, for giving up an insane amount of 3rd and longs throughout the game. Kelly (the U!)and the no-huddle offense was amazing, but OJ Anderson (the U!) and the Giants held the ball for 41 minutes. Bills had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points.

After plays the Giant defense would kick the ball along the line of scrimmage, stay down after tackles, and just totally disrupt the flow of the Bills' Offense.

The mastermind behind all that? Bill Belichick.

Pelicans78
01-18-2012, 10:59 PM
SB XXV is still the most painful sports memory for me. Norwood unjustly gets the blame for that, but a do-or-die 47 yd fg outdoors to win a SB is no easy task. I blame the defense, for giving up an insane amount of 3rd and longs throughout the game. Kelly (the U!)and the no-huddle offense was amazing, but OJ Anderson (the U!) and the Giants held the ball for 41 minutes. Bills had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points.

After plays the Giant defense would kick the ball along the line of scrimmage, stay down after tackles, and just totally disrupt the flow of the Bills' Offense.

I was going for the Bills that game. Man, who would have thought that Anderson would be the MVP of that game.

JoeTait75
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
New York's defense didn't really stop Buffalo's offense. The Bills had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points. New York's offense stopped Buffalo's offense by keeping it off the field.

The '90s Bills-as-Chokers meme is so accepted now that people forget how overwhelming Buffalo looked going into that first SB. They had absolutely killed the L.A. Raiders in the AFC title game and looked completely unstoppable.

Have to wonder how things might have been different had Buffalo won that first SB.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
New York's defense didn't really stop Buffalo's offense. The Bills had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points. New York's offense stopped Buffalo's offense by keeping it off the field.

The '90s Bills-as-Chokers meme is so accepted now that people forget how overwhelming Buffalo looked going into that first SB. They had absolutely killed the L.A. Raiders in the AFC title game and looked completely unstoppable.

Have to wonder how things might have been different had Buffalo won that first SB.

50-3 over Jay Schroeder and the Raiders. Damn that was fun:lol

They had chances to win their their first and last SBs. The Redskins were a juggernaut in 1991 and the 92 Cowboys are easily one of the most talented teams ever (full of U products and coached:lol). Those 2 SBs were over at halftime. In SB XXVIII Buffalo had the lead 13-6 at the half but Emmitt Smith took over in the 2nd half.

I've completely forgotten what it's like to see my team make the playoffs, much less SBs

JoeTait75
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Modell hired Belichick about five minutes after that game ended.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Modell hired Belichick about five minutes after that game ended.

He gave them their last playoff win though--which if memory serves right was ironically against the Pats:lol

JoeTait75
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
The Redskins were a juggernaut in 1991 and the 92 Cowboys are easily one of the most talented teams ever (full of U products and coached:lol). Those 2 SBs were over at halftime. In SB XXVIII Buffalo had the lead 13-6 at the half but Emmitt Smith took over in the 2nd half.

They were in actually that 52-17 game for most of the first half. Dallas had them whipped up front but the Bills had enough playmakers to make it interesting had they not self-destructed.

They were an emotional basketcase by those Dallas SBs, tbh. They played like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders. When you commit nine turnovers in a game of that magnitude there is something very wrong w/your mental approach.

Pelicans78
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM

They scored 44 points against Miami and 50 points against the Raiders, two teams that were strong defensively that season. It was unreal.

A big reason they lost the 2nd Super Bowl to Dallas was the fumbles by Thurman in the 2nd half.

JoeTait75
01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
He gave them their last playoff win though--which if memory serves right was ironically against the Pats:lol

New Year's Day, 1995. They beat the hell out of Drew Bledsoe while. Testaverde "managed the game."

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Damn, 17 years is along time, JT. At least ya'll made it in 2002:lol

One of the more underrated playoff games too, especially since it was a Tommy Maddox-Kelly Holcomb matchup. Tough loss

Pelicans78
01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
For some reason, Belichek fell in love with Eric Zeier the next season even though he was a rookie.

The 1992 Redskins is one of the best teams in history. That team was dominating.

Pelicans78
01-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Damn, 17 years is along time, JT. At least ya'll made it in 2002:lol

One of the more underrated playoff games too, especially since it was a Tommy Maddox-Kelly Holcomb matchup. Tough loss

I remember that game. Holcomb threw for like 400 yards on the road. Then the next season he struggled awfully.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
For some reason, Belichek fell in love with Eric Zeier the next season even though he was a rookie.

The 1992 Redskins is one of the best teams in history. That team was dominating.

Yup, started out 11-0 before dropping a close one to Dallas. Their only other loss was the final game against Philly where they had nothing to play for.

I was only 9 at the time but I still remember those playoffs vividly for how weird they were. Detroit crushing Dallas and making it to the NFCCG (I think with Erik Kramer), and Buffalo beating Denver 10-7 in the AFCCG--our only TD was a Talley return iirc

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2012, 11:55 PM
I remember that game. Holcomb threw for like 400 yards on the road. Then the next season he struggled awfully.

and like clockwork, that's when the Bills decided to give him a try:lol

JoeTait75
01-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Yup, started out 11-0 before dropping a close one to Dallas. Their only other loss was the final game against Philly where they had nothing to play for.

I was only 9 at the time but I still remember those playoffs vividly for how weird they were. Detroit crushing Dallas and making it to the NFCCG (I think with Erik Kramer), and Buffalo beating Denver 10-7 in the AFCCG--our only TD was a Talley return iirc

1991 was the last hurrah for Gibbs and those '80s Redskins powerhouses. I distinctly remember them smacking Cleveland in the mouth at RFK. They got old in a HURRAY after that season.

That was also the year of Jerry Glanville's "2 Legit 2 Quit" Falcons w/MC Hammer and 3rd-stringer Brett Favre strolling the sidelines at Fulton County.

LakerHater
01-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Revenge!

rrhRZ0EcpRs

Pelicans78
01-19-2012, 12:06 AM

Yeah that playoffs sucked for me. The Saints won their first ever divisional title and had a rematch at home in the Wild Card game against the hated Falcons. I was at the game and the Saints blew an early double-digit lead and the Falcons scored late on a 80 yard TD catch by Michael Haynes. The Saints drove to the Falcons 30 yard line, but Bobby Hebert threw a late pick. That was a long drive home.

The Saints started 7-0 that season and 9-1 before Bobby Hebert missed the next 4 games with an injury. Steve Walsh started those games and the Saints lost 4 close games in a row. Hebert came back for the final two games which the Saints won easily to clinch the divisional title.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 12:06 AM
1991 was the last hurrah for Gibbs and those '80s Redskins powerhouses. I distinctly remember them smacking Cleveland in the mouth at RFK. They got old in a HURRAY after that season.

That was also the year of Jerry Glanville's "2 Legit 2 Quit" Falcons w/MC Hammer and 3rd-stringer Brett Favre strolling the sidelines at Fulton County.

I forgot Deion and Fav-ruh were on the same team:lol...Redskins annihilated them in the reg season AND the playoffs that year. Gary Clark and Art Monk were the shit...and it was cool to see Byner get redemption.

BUMP
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
The Giants beat the Niners backup QB

inevitable tbh. Even if me and Fabbs were to play quarterback for those teams instead of Montana/Simms, the results would be the same.

some wise poster said today that the quarterback position didn't matter in the NFL. can't remember who said det tho

Pelicans78
I forgot Deion and Fav-ruh were on the same team:lol...Redskins annihilated them in the reg season AND the playoffs that year. Gary Clark and Art Monk were the shit...and it was cool to see Byner get redemption.

That was the same Falcons team who beat the Saints the week before in the Superdome, the game I went to. I remember seeing Hammer and Evander Holyfield on the Falcons sideline.

DeadlyDynasty
Yeah that playoffs sucked for me. The Saints won their first ever divisional title and had a rematch at home in the Wild Card game against the hated Falcons. I was at the game and the Saints blew an early double-digit lead and the Falcons scored late on a 80 yard TD catch by Michael Haynes. The Saints drove to the Falcons 30 yard line, but Bobby Hebert threw a late pick. That was a long drive home.

The Saints started 7-0 that season and 9-1 before Bobby Hebert missed the next 4 games with an injury. Steve Walsh started those games and the Saints lost 4 close games in a row. Hebert came back for the final two games which the Saints won easily to clinch the divisional title.

holy shit, i would've never remembered them starting 9-1:wow

Remember in 86 or 87 when the Jets started 10-1 but finished 10-6?:rollin

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Revenge!

rrhRZ0EcpRs

I felt bad for that guy...he fucked up 2 snaps that game. The last play was obvious pass interference but the refs swallowed the whistle.

Pelicans78
01-19-2012, 12:11 AM

The Saints were on fire early that season. They were running the ball, throwing bombs on play-action, and their defense was always stellar with their Dome Patrol linebacking crew. I think all 4 LBs made the Pro Bowl that season.

I remember that Jets team. Ken O'Brien and Al Toom. I can't remember why they collapsed, but they gave the powerful Browns a hell of a game in the divisional round.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 12:12 AM
I saw a special on NFL network a few months ago about best all-time LB corps, and they came in at #1. The only one I remember is Sam Mills though

Pelicans78
01-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I saw a special on NFL network a few months ago about best all-time LB corps, and they came in at #1. The only one I remember is Sam Mills though

Ricky Jackson made the Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. He was a great pass rusher off the edge, but also stopped the run as well pretty effectively. Best Saints defender in history, by far. He joined the Niners in 1994 and won a ring with Steve Young and company. He was a beast.

Pat Swelling was a pure pass rusher as an OLB. He had 17 sacks one season. He left the Saints in 1993 and was never the same. I think playing next to Ricky Jackson all those years inflated his numbers.

Vaughn Johnson was a big inside LBer. He had a huge neck and a great run stopper.

NewcastleKEG
01-19-2012, 04:15 AM

I think the '92 Skins were more a case of right time than utter dominance

Niners were in the middle of reloading from the late 80's to early 90's, Cowboys were a year away and the Giants a year too old

It would be difficult for me to put those Gibbs Redskins teams on par with the Walsh Niners and or Parcell Giants

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I think the '92 Skins were more a case of right time than utter dominance

Niners were in the middle of reloading from the late 80's to early 90's, Cowboys were a year away and the Giants a year too old

It would be difficult for me to put those Gibbs Redskins teams on par with the Walsh Niners and or Parcell Giants

The 1982-1991 Redskins absolutely belong in that group, and definitely above the Giants. Gibbs made 3 SB runs with 3 different QBs--2 of them being career backups/journeyman. Redskins went to 4 Superbowls in that time span and won 3.

Lay off the rock.

lefty
01-19-2012, 07:07 PM

So you are a REAL Giants fan :wow

monosylab1k
01-19-2012, 07:29 PM

or how about that year the Raiders started 8-2 and finished 8-8 crofl

monosylab1k
01-19-2012, 07:31 PM

How on God's green earth did you figure that he was a Giants fan from that post?

JoeTait75
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I remember that Jets team. Ken O'Brien and Al Toom. I can't remember why they collapsed, but they gave the powerful Browns a hell of a game in the divisional round.

That team had serious injury problems late in the '86 season. Ken O'Brien was beat up on offense and both Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau missed time- Klecko, who was a great player, missed the playoff game against the Browns.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 09:29 PM
or how about that year the Raiders started 8-2 and finished 8-8 crofl

Forgot about det one too:lol mid-late 90's iirc

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 09:30 PM

Good detective work...was it that first sentence that gave me away?

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM
That team had serious injury problems late in the '86 season. Ken O'Brien was beat up on offense and both Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau missed time- Klecko, who was a great player, missed the playoff game against the Browns.

Remember the New York Sack Exchange? Klecko, Gastineau, Marty Lyons and some other dude I can't recall...pretty beast D-line.

His son Dan Klecko played on the Pats for a few years, what ever happened to him?

lefty
01-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Good detective work...was it that first sentence that gave me away?
I thought you were emulating TimmytoZo

JoeTait75
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Remember the New York Sack Exchange? Klecko, Gastineau, Marty Lyons and some other dude I can't recall...pretty beast D-line.

Abdul Salaam, formerly Larry Faulk. He played at Kent State with Jack Lambert and Nick Saban. For a perennially terrible program, Kent has sent a bunch of good players to the NFL.

DeadlyDynasty
01-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I just watched some of that 1990 NFCCG and a couple interesting things stood out to me:

-Dave Duerson (RIP) was a returner alongside Dave Meggett for those Giants

-Everson Walls--a Giants DB--gave up a bad TD to John Taylor...Walls was the guy covering Dwight Clark on "The Catch" 9 years earlier in the same stadium:lol