PDA

View Full Version : Has pop ever been asked and answered why Bonner over Splitter?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Has the press ever asked him and has he ever given a straight answer?

This is maddening, I feel like any half-decent functioning press member of the SA community would have asked this question by now.

GabeIsGone
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
SA media never ask questions that seem to criticize pop at all.

4>0rings
01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
You'll get blacklisted, tbh.

suitedkings
01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
I emailed a variety of press in SA last year and asked them why Pop didnt play Splitter and if they were afraid of Pop.

the few that replied said they werent afraid of Pop and Don (last name escapes me since i am not local to SA) Harris(?) said the reason Splitter doesnt play was cause he didnt think he was any good.

Russ
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Pop, how come you don't play Splitter more than Bonner?

Nice tie, where'd you get it?

The numbers would indicate more playing time for Splitter . . .

(smirking) Get a fashion consultant. Next question . . .

YoMamaIsCallin
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Um, because it's a stupid question?

SA210
01-19-2012, 10:58 PM
splitter plays more than bonner

Do you mean garbage minutes when it doesn't matter?

Fabbs
01-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I emailed a variety of press in SA last year and asked them why Pop didnt play Splitter and if they were afraid of Pop.

the few that replied said they werent afraid of Pop and Don (last name escapes me since i am not local to SA) Harris(?) said the reason Splitter doesnt play was cause he didnt think he was any good.
Couple three of them emailed me back also.
The only answer given for BonBons minutes is that he spread the floor.
I think they said that answer was from the "coaching staff".
I was going to write back and say that's a "but but but he spreads the floor" standing joke here at Spurstalk among realists. But i figured why bother.

TDomination
01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Pop will just give a "smart" answer. He always does, its pointless.

He's freakin stubborn and it wouldnt matter if the entire world was held hostage until Splitter played over Bonner, he still wouldn't change his mind.

We may have to attack his weakness, someone needs to steal his collection of wine and leave a ransom note reading "if you want to see your wine again, you will play Bonner no longer than 5 minutes and will play Splitter over 30 minutes."

Libri
01-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Has the press ever asked him and has he ever given a straight answer?

This is maddening, I feel like any half-decent functioning press member of the SA community would have asked this question by now.

I don't know if they have ever asked but the press is so overly tactful that it's obvious that they are terrified of asking questions.

SenorSpur
01-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Pop will just give a "smart" answer. He always does, its pointless.

He's freakin stubborn and it wouldnt matter if the entire world was held hostage until Splitter played over Bonner, he still wouldn't change his mind.

We may have to attack his weakness, someone needs to steal his collection of wine and leave a ransom note reading "if you want to see your wine again, you will play Bonner no longer than 5 minutes and will play Splitter over 30 minutes."

Why stop there? Take it a bit further than that. Make that ransom note to read, "if you want to see your wine again, you will trade or cut Bonner altogether".

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 12:53 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Get me some press credentials and I'll start asking those questions. The bonus is that I probably won't have to stay more than a couple of nights in a hotel down there before I'm completely blacklisted.

Sean Cagney
01-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Um, because it's a stupid question?

No it isn't, why is it? Splitter does more IMO with less mins. Bonner is not hitting a thing yet he still gets mins.

wildbill2u
01-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Pop can always come back with an answer like "They don't play the same position."

Bruno
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Journalists never question Pop's logic.

:stirpot:

DrSteffo
01-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Fire them all including the fake "journalists" :)

The Truth #6
01-20-2012, 12:09 PM
For the same reason most people don't walk into their boss' office and ask them why they're such a moron. Journalists in SA, like other people with jobs, like to keep them.

sabar
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Newspapers are already bleeding money with their out-dated revenue model. 0% chance they risk their media access. I mean, in-depth local sports coverage is like all local news is any good for these days. Everything else is on the net within a couple minutes.

Dex
01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Journalists never question Pop's logic.

:stirpot:

You can't call them journalists because they don't write in journals. You should call them newspaperists.

z0sa
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
One major team in town.

therealtruth
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Pop can always come back with an answer like "They don't play the same position."

Splitter's a pf/c. Bonner is just a pf.

SenorSpur
01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
No one would dare question the Great Oz.

To do so, would equal tyranny to be punishable by 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

smrattler
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
No, because he'd never answer another question from you again, and if you can't cover the only pro sport in this town, you are a pretty useless sports reporter.

Pop thinks his <!?@?$> don't stink.

therealtruth
01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I think there was a reporter that got black listed for asking Pop some real questions. It's ridiculous most NBA coaches have to justify themselves when they make questionable decisions but Pop gets to choose whether he wants to.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually I think the Spurs got him fired.

Libri
01-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Was it Kevin O'keeffe? I think there was another reporter critical of Pop but I can't remember.

WeNeedLength
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Exhibit Z... Bonner's 1st quarter play tonight... AWFUL. And Splitter played 4 minutes to Bonners 6. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Was it Kevin O'keeffe? I think there was another reporter critical of Pop but I can't remember.

Yep.

Bender
01-21-2012, 12:02 AM
in the post-game show after the Sac game, where Andrew Monaco and Richard Oliver were talking, didn't richard oliver come out and say that Splitter has been improving all the time, has some great post moves, but the Spurs are failing to take advantage of him.

Not exactly confronting Pop with it, but at least its something.

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I think there was a reporter that got black listed for asking Pop some real questions. It's ridiculous most NBA coaches have to justify themselves when they make questionable decisions but Pop gets to choose whether he wants to.

While there's no doubt that Pop and the Spurs have been a wildly successful, well-run organization. However, the danger that is present is that there has been this fifedom that has evolved - with Pop and RC at the head. As the only major sports franchise in a very small media market, the Spurs PR department and Pop in particular have been able to manipulate and control the media to their liking.

Such a contrived situation does help to keep the Spurs off the radar, for the most part. Yet it has also allowed the Spurs brass to insulate themselves from criticism, intense media scrutiny and public accountability. They just prefer to rise above it all - almost to a point of arrogance. The Spurs pride themselves on being fan friendly, but I think that's limited to season ticket holders.

I guess it's no different than in any other major sports town, but it just seems more pronounced in Spurland. Unlike other NBA markets, Pop doesn't do a radio show, there are no public forums and fan feedback isn't highly regarded or does it even appear to be welcomed. In S.A. the tail wags the dog.

Fabbs
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
The Spurs pride themselves on being fan friendly, but I think that's limited to season ticket holders.

Entire post well put SenorSpur.
As to the above, i can't find it now but another poster found where the Spurs did offer the season ticket holders an open Q and A. Albeit something like only one day a year for a couple hours or something like that. I think Lord Poppycock was not required to attend.:rolleyes Still it would be a hoot if enough Spurs Realists showed up and layed it out.

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Yep.

Direct from Pop's Wikipedia page. I'm sure he'd rather one not exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Popovich

Popovich was highly criticized by Kevin O'Keeffe, a columnist for the San Antonio Express-News, following his decision to fire Hill. O'Keeffe argued that Hill's 3–16 start in 1996 had more to do with injuries to David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Chuck Person, and Vinny Del Negro. O'Keeffe resigned from the San Antonio Express-News in 1999, just months before the Spurs won their first NBA title.

Popovich over the years has gained a reputation as a surly interviewee and a testy dealer with the media. In a 2007 interview with Craig Sager of TNT, Popovich ignored a question by Sager regarding a current game and outwardly questioned Sager's professionalism. In various in-game interviews, Popovich has been known for giving extremely short and sarcastic answers, as well as simplistic responses to reporters questions.