PDA

View Full Version : To those who are complaining about the Splitter/Bonner Situation

ezau
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
It appears that Splitter is averaging more playing time than Bonner this year. I just checked their profiles on Yahoo:

Matt Bonner:

258 minutes for the 2011-2012 NBA season

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3748/career;_ylt=Amf3F4V.KoKL7TG1saOIB7LmPKB4)

Tiago Splitter:

297 minutes for the 2011-2012 NBA Season

POP just took a giant dump on his haters :lol:lol:lol

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306/career;_ylt=Amf3F4V.KoKL7TG1saOIB7KkvLYF)

midnightpulp
01-19-2012, 03:08 AM
It appears that Splitter is averaging more playing time than Bonner this year. I just checked their profiles on Yahoo:

Matt Bonner:

58 minutes for the 2011-2012 NBA season

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3748/career;_ylt=Amf3F4V.KoKL7TG1saOIB7LmPKB4)

Tiago Splitter:

297 minutes for the 2011-2012 NBA Season

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306/career;_ylt=Amf3F4V.KoKL7TG1saOIB7KkvLYF)

That would get me to stop complaining.

jesterbobman
01-19-2012, 03:21 AM
10-5 = 15 games.

297/15 = 19.8

Less than 20 minutes a game: That's the concern. Not minutes relative to Bonner, total minutes, And anything to far south of 30 minutes isn't considered enough, given we have 4 bigs and he's the second best of them.

objective
01-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Splitter's minutes are inflated because he's the big most saddled with playing in garbage time of blowout wins and losses.

No joke, go through the pbp of the double digit blowouts against LAC, Houston, Utah, Dallas, OKC, Portland and Miami and you'll find Splitter's surplus versus Bonner's relaxation on the bench is good for about 25-30 minutes.

objective
01-19-2012, 04:02 AM
I also did a cursory look through of the pbps for every first half and by my lazy math Bonner and Splitter play equal amounts of first half minutes.

DrSteffo
01-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Love is blind, it's kind of cute :married:

TJastal
01-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Splitter's minutes are inflated because he's the big most saddled with playing in garbage time of blowout wins and losses.

No joke, go through the pbp of the double digit blowouts against LAC, Houston, Utah, Dallas, OKC, Portland and Miami and you'll find Splitter's surplus versus Bonner's relaxation on the bench is good for about 25-30 minutes.

:lol

OP abused like a rented mule.

silverblk mystix
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
258 minutes that the Spurs were weakened by having Bonner on the floor.

A young coach who wasn't fat and happy already because of winning titles....would have seen Bonner in training camp and shipped him out. An unproven coach would not have gambled with his job for 258 minutes.

Every one of those 258 minutes could have been given to players who would actually help to improve your team.

Horse
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
The point we're all trying to make is Splitter should play way more and bonner almost none. He has no value anymore. He could have put the game away with a wideopen 3 he missed last night in the 4th. If he can't hit that shot why the fuck is he out there?

rmt
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Did Pop not learn from his mistakes in the MEM series? Doesn't it occur to him that when a team shoots 64%, it should win the game? And if it doesn't, something is seriously wrong with the defense. I can live with Blair - his defense isn't great either, but at least he's got heart and doesn't choke like Bonner who needs to be shipped out.

Wasn't TP harping all summer about the need to get a big? Guess what - that big is sitting on the bench, playing less than 20 mins per game. If it were left to me, Splitter would be playing 35 min every game that's not a back to back and at least 30 min every back to back game. Every minute out there gives him valuable experience against NBA players for the playoffs. What is Bonner doing out there - he's got no heart, no upside, no size. I had to laugh yesterday when the Magic commentators were talking about +/- stats because - you guessed it, Bonner (and RJ) again led the team in +/-. Must be what Pop's using to justify Bonner's minutes because anybody with eyes can see he's hurting the team or maybe it's to justify signing him (and RJ - 38 mins) to 4 year contract(s).

TJastal
01-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Did Pop not learn from his mistakes in the MEM series? Doesn't it occur to him that when a team shoots 64%, it should win the game? And if it doesn't, something is seriously wrong with the defense. I can live with Blair - his defense isn't great either, but at least he's got heart and doesn't choke like Bonner who needs to be shipped out.

Wasn't TP harping all summer about the need to get a big? Guess what - that big is sitting on the bench, playing less than 20 mins per game. If it were left to me, Splitter would be playing 35 min every game that's not a back to back and at least 30 min every back to back game. Every minute out there gives him valuable experience against NBA players for the playoffs. What is Bonner doing out there - he's got no heart, no upside, no size. I had to laugh yesterday when the Magic commentators were talking about +/- stats because - you guessed it, Bonner again led the team in +/-. Must be what Pop's using to justify Bonner's minutes because anybody with eyes can see he's hurting the team or maybe it's to justify signing him to that 4 year contract.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=22011&split=9&team=Spurs

Blair should be higher given he's been in the starting lineup all year. This is an ominous sign of his decline and the reason I've been harping on Splitter to start all year.

Splits
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
This is an ominous sign of his decline and the reason I've been harping on Splitter to start all year.

Got it. I'll mark you down for maximizing Bonner/Blair lineups.

TJastal
01-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Got it. I'll mark you down for maximizing Bonner/Blair lineups.

Please do. I'm all for concentrating the turd towers PT against the opposing teams bench players. But Pop's philosophy is to spread the manure out over the course the game. Which is a way worse idea IMO.

Why?

1. You are essentially strapping a 100 lb weight to Timmy's neck to start every game. Not a good thing for a guy who is playing light and on his last knee so to speak.

2. When playoffs roll around TS & TD will inevitably end up playing together due to a shortened rotation and all of the turd towers' weaknesses magnified. A smart coach would recognize this and move Tiago to the starting lineup now in order to start getting him prepared and comfortable as possible in the starting lineup. Then if I was Pop I would get on the turd towers to play defense, and ride them every time they let up all the while exploring trade options for a good defensive 3rd big.

shraediggz
01-19-2012, 03:13 PM
If Splitter was able to maintain his production over 36 minutes / game, he'd be averaging 13.5 points 8.1 rebounds 1.9 blocks, 0.7 steals 1.6 assists, 4.7 fouls and 3.3 turnovers per game.

Granted that foul rate is a bit of a concern, one would hope Splitter would be able to adapt and learn to play whilst in foul trouble. He also averages quite a few turn overs... which may be the thing that keeps him on Pop's bench, but as a Spurs fan, I rather see him play (If Ian Mahinmi can turn into a viable backup C for Dallas, I'm sure Tiago has a shot of working through his turn over issues if given the opportunity to play!)

I'd love to see the guy take half of Bonner's minutes away.

Per 36 minutes via basketball reference...
Off Def Reb Ast Stl Blk T.O. P.F. PTS
4.5 5.3 9.8 1.6 1.3 0.4 1.9 4.9 17.1 -Blair
1.9 6.3 8.2 1.6 0.7 1.9 3.3 4.7 13.5 -Splitter
1.1 5.0 6.1 2.0 0.3 0.3 0.3 1.5 9.9 -Bonner

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 03:18 PM
It not Bonner/Splitter situation. It just Matt Bonner. He get ten minutes, I complain it nine minutes too much. Nothing else matter. Even then, Matt Bonner take up more than game time. He take up roster spot for 82 games and lot of money.

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

SequSpur
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Matt Bonner should be used only in certain situations...he should get his share of dnp-cds just like others but he doesnt... He is a regular minute taker just like a starter or a sixth man. It's fucking bullshit if you ask me. It has nothing to do with Splitter. Two different players totally.

If Matt is hitting his three, roll with it, if not, his ass should not be on the court at all.

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Matt Bonner should be used only in certain situations...he should get his share of dnp-cds just like others but he doesnt... He is a regular minute taker just like a starter or a sixth man. It's fucking bullshit if you ask me. It has nothing to do with Splitter. Two different players totally.

If Matt is hitting his three, roll with it, if not, his ass should not be on the court at all.

We've got plenty of players than can shoot the three and probably better in the clutch. Plus, many of these have other offensive options. And having Bonner behind the three point line utilizes none of his size. And it's not like he can shoot over anyone.

jjktkk
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
if matt is hitting his three, roll with it, if not, his ass should not be on the court at all.

silverblk mystix
01-19-2012, 04:20 PM

This is fuckin brilliant....brilliant bullshit...because it takes Bonner 10-20 minutes to determine if he is going to have the balls to actually shoot the ball instead of his little panic dribble into the middle and then quickly pass it back to someone with balls...

those 10-20 minutes are minutes the spurs opponents are getting mentally erect just frothing at the mouth at the chance to attack Bonner and gaining more confidence...

therealtruth
01-19-2012, 04:29 PM
We've got plenty of players than can shoot the three and probably better in the clutch. Plus, many of these have other offensive options. And having Bonner behind the three point line utilizes none of his size. And it's not like he can shoot over anyone.

He's 6'10 but if a 4 ft guy was running at him he still wouldn't be able to shoot it.

therealtruth
01-19-2012, 04:34 PM

The benefit of that is Bonner knows he has to hit his first 3 to get minutes. Most good 3 point shooters you can run plays for them and consistently get good results if they're open. The shots they tend to miss are when there's more defensive coverage. Bonner seems to miss randomly. There's no rhyme or reason. Heck good 3 point shooters know when they're about to miss and go into position to rebound.

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
This is fuckin brilliant....brilliant bullshit...because it takes Bonner 10-20 minutes to determine if he is going to have the balls to actually shoot the ball instead of his little panic dribble into the middle and then quickly pass it back to someone with balls...

those 10-20 minutes are minutes the spurs opponents are getting mentally erect just frothing at the mouth at the chance to attack Bonner and gaining more confidence...

And furthermore, when Matt's left in there long enough to string together a few threes, Pop is then even more conviinced that Matty's a serious weapon come playoff time. I'd rather Matt lose several more games for us so he doesn't see the light of day in the post season.