PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Thread

Nathan Explosion
01-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I have not seen a cooking thread, just various threads asking about a certain recipe. I figured maybe people would like a central all encompassing thread. Maybe they won't. Either way, I think this is a good place to share some of our favorite recipes, from simple every day foods to special occasion meals.

I for one have really tried in the past year to become a good cook. Before I would just cook food that I like, but now that I'm single dad, I've been trying to cook good food for my kids.

I'll start with two recipes that I've made in the past week.

Earlier in the week I had come boneless center cut pork loin chops. I don't always have time to experiment, but I've been trying to learn how to put a good sear on cuts of meat and still keep it well cooked and moist. I took two chops, seasoned them and rubbed the seasoning in and let it marinate for a about 10 minutes. I then took a cast iron pan, heated it up on medium high and melted some butter. I seared both sides of the chops for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side before putting the whole pan in the oven heated to 350 F. I let them cook for 5 minutes more, removed from the oven, and then let them sit for 5 minutes before eating. When I cut into the chops, the knife sliced through with ease and the juices just came out onto the plate.

If there are any recommendations to make to improve this, I'm all ears.

The second recipe is a fajita one. I live in an apartment, on the 3rd floor with small children, so barbecuing is out of the question. So what I do with my beef fajitas is slice them up and throw them in a bowl. I then cut up red and green bell pepper and onion and mix it all together with the fajitas. I add some lime and fajita seasoning and mix it all together and throw it in the fridge for about an hour. I then cook these stir fry style on medium heat for about 40 minutes to let them soften up a bit (adding a top after you've browned them helps keep them moist and tender). The red bell pepper adds a nice hint of sweetness that is great.

I'm interested in hearing some of your favorite recipes in hopes of stealing some of them and using them myself. I have some more that I've picked up that range from a quick macaroni meal, to a chicken soup I love, to even charro beans.

Dex
01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I needed to type this up for a friend anyways, so might as well share here. Stole this recipe from my ma, who wasn't like an amazing cook but seemed to know all the basics.

Lasagna ala Dex:

Preheat oven to 350.

The Meat Sauce:
1 lb. ground beef
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
Seasoning to taste - I use salt, pepper, garlic salt/powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, oregano, basil, and crushed red pepper. I don't know exact amounts, maybe a teaspoon of each, but experiment until you find what works for you.

Brown the hamburger in a large pot. Drain fat. Add the tomato sauce, paste, and stewed tomatoes. (You can either cook the stewed tomatoes down until they become very soft, or throw them in a blender for a quick buzz if you want to speed up the process). Let simmer over low heat for at least 30 mins, stirring regularly.

While this is simmering, you can prepare the Cheese Sauce and noodles.

Grate 1 block (1 lb) of mozzarella cheese.

The Cheese Sauce:
1 (24 oz) container Cottage Cheese (You can also use Ricotta, but I actually prefer the consistency the cottage cheese adds, and its cheaper and healthier)
~1/4th of the grated mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1 tbsp Parsley
1 tsp. salt and pepper

Mix thoroughly.

- - -

To prepare the lasagna noodles, I fill up a medium casserole dish I am going to use with hot tap water (as hot as your sink will allow), and let the noodles rest in the hot water for 15 minutes. You may want to empty and refill with hot water halfway through just to keep things warm. Then remove the noodles and pat dry with some paper towels. Rinse and dry the casserole dish and you are ready to build.

Distribute your ingredients thusly (from bottom to top):
-layer of meat sauce
-layer of noodles (usually 4 noodles for me)
-layer of cheese sauce
-layer of meat sauce
-layer of noodles (4 more)
-layer of cheese sauce
-layer of meat sauce
-finish by topping with the remainder of the mozzarella cheese

Cover with foil (I'll usually insert some toothpicks to hold the foil up, otherwise it tries to steal all your cheese when you remove it).

Bake, covered, at 350 for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for an additional 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes. Serve and thoroughly nom.

http://i.imgur.com/7mr8Z.jpg

I actually made this recipe last night, and have leftovers in the fridge right now that will be in my stomach soon. :hungry:

jaffies
01-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Daaaaayyymn, Dex...

:hungry:

I hope this is a beginning of a beautiful thread

Technique
01-20-2012, 12:32 AM
I start off by going to the refrigerator and grabbing some milk. I make sure to use both hands because milk is heavy.

http://www.acidrefluxsymptomsnow.com/images/milk.jpg

After I put the milk on my table I proceed to grab the ingredient of my choice, in this case it's Golden Crisp. Shit's delicious

http://jeffpalm.com/images/golden-crisp.png

After acquiring the aforementioned item I carefully pour milk into a relatively spacious bowl. Then I unleash the Golden Crisp onto said bowl with milk and hammer it down that way It's not just on the top.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/cereal.thumbnail.jpg

You're welcome.

Dex
01-20-2012, 01:41 AM
I start off by going to the refrigerator and grabbing some milk. I make sure to use both hands because milk is heavy.

http://www.acidrefluxsymptomsnow.com/images/milk.jpg

After I put the milk on my table I proceed to grab the ingredient of my choice, in this case it's Golden Crisp. Shit's delicious

http://jeffpalm.com/images/golden-crisp.png

After acquiring the aforementioned item I carefully pour milk into a relatively spacious bowl. Then I unleash the Golden Crisp onto said bowl with milk and hammer it down that way It's not just on the top.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/cereal.thumbnail.jpg

You're welcome.

You put the milk in before the cereal?

http://data.whicdn.com/images/18588380/n170496_watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme_large.png

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I found an interesting recipe for cooking beef ribs that I decided to try. I called for cutting the ribs into 1/3 to 1/2 " slices, marinating them, and then cooking them on a hot grill like a steak. Having cooked beef ribs before I had my doubts about this cooking method but the marinade sounded amazing so I decided to try it.

Heres how it starts...

4 pounds short ribs cut 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons ground black pepper ( i used coarse ground)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian plum wine

Because of my doubts on grilling ribs like that I deboned the ribs before slicing to expand my options at the finish.

Mix all the other ingredients together and pour over the rib meat in a one gallon ziplock and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. I was concerned about the ribs being tough and actually left them in the refrigerator for a week. I tasted the marinade and it was everything I had hoped for...

After a week I decided to grill the ribs...used a finer mesh grill screen on the grill because of the small size of the pieces (most like 1"X2") and grilled them on a hot fire flipping them individually till most of the fat rendered off and the remaining riblets were caramelized with the marinade.

After they cooled I tasted one and the taste was amazing but they weren't what I considered to be tender enough to serve as an entree...sooooo

I put them in a saucepan and poured the marinade back over them and then added two water glasses (maybe 3-4 cups?) of caldo de res (about a heaping tablespoon of powdered beef broth in a glass of hot water) till the meat was completely covered and then simmered that uncovered for about two hours till it reduced down into this freaking amazing dark, thick, rich sauce, stirring occasionally at the end to keep it from scorching.

Served that over a bed of white rice with oriental veggies stir fried in olive oil and soy sauce and it was an absolute home run...probably the best oriental beef dish I have ever eaten...incredibly deep and rich multilevel flavors and no MSG.

I plan to do this with other cuts of coarser beef (we slaughter a grass fed steer every year so have lots to choose from)...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2374/icelectrode024.jpg

pawe
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I cook in the kitchen like how Manu plays in the court...with a passion, and one of the things Im passionate about are good kitchen knives.
I recommend Shun specially their 7" or 8" chef knife, the Santoku and the sharpening system. Will cost you around $500 for those 3 pcs but you cant beat the balance and quality.

A pressure cooker and a good seasoned cast iron grill are also a must!

clambake
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I found an interesting recipe for cooking beef ribs that I decided to try. I called for cutting the ribs into 1/3 to 1/2 " slices, marinating them, and then cooking them on a hot grill like a steak. Having cooked beef ribs before I had my doubts about this cooking method but the marinade sounded amazing so I decided to try it.

Heres how it starts...

4 pounds short ribs cut 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons ground black pepper ( i used coarse ground)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian plum wine

Because of my doubts on grilling ribs like that I deboned the ribs before slicing to expand my options at the finish.

Mix all the other ingredients together and pour over the rib meat in a one gallon ziplock and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. I was concerned about the ribs being tough and actually left them in the refrigerator for a week. I tasted the marinade and it was everything I had hoped for...

After a week I decided to grill the ribs...used a finer mesh grill screen on the grill because of the small size of the pieces (most like 1"X2") and grilled them on a hot fire flipping them individually till most of the fat rendered off and the remaining riblets were caramelized with the marinade.

After they cooled I tasted one and the taste was amazing but they weren't what I considered to be tender enough to serve as an entree...sooooo

I put them in a saucepan and poured the marinade back over them and then added two water glasses (maybe 3-4 cups?) of caldo de res (about a heaping tablespoon of powdered beef broth in a glass of hot water) till the meat was completely covered and then simmered that uncovered for about two hours till it reduced down into this freaking amazing dark, thick, rich sauce, stirring occasionally at the end to keep it from scorching.

Served that over a bed of white rice with oriental veggies stir fried in olive oil and soy sauce and it was an absolute home run...probably the best oriental beef dish I have ever eaten...incredibly deep and rich multilevel flavors and no MSG.

I plan to do this with other cuts of coarser beef (we slaughter a grass fed steer every year so have lots to choose from)...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2374/icelectrode024.jpg
yeah, short rib meat is tough. did the 2 hours of braising do the trick?

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I cook in the kitchen like how Manu plays in the court...with a passion, and one of the things Im passionate about are good kitchen knives.
I recommend Shun specially their 7" or 8" chef knife, the Santoku and the sharpening system. Will cost you around $500 for those 3 pcs but you cant beat the balance and quality.

I use cheap (but good) Dexter Russell Sani-Safe chef knives from the restaurant supply...I have my own that no one else can use that I take with me when I cook. The second they start to get even slightly dull I hit them on the diamond steel and pop them back to razor sharpness.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/wasserstrom/70511609
http://images.zesco.com/pimages/622/622-d-011.jpg

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
yeah, short rib meat is tough. did the 2 hours of braising do the trick?

Perfect. Just a slight bite but very tender. Flavor was just explosive.

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
That looks good CC, but do you think skipping the grilling and just braising longer would have given you similar results? I know it was the first time and you were experimenting, but that's just too much work for me :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
That looks good CC, but do you think skipping the grilling and just braising longer would have given you similar results? I know it was the first time and you were experimenting, but that's just too much work for me :lol

No, it wouldn't have been the same. Beef short ribs have a lot of fat and I wanted to render that out on the grill before I braised them...the heat in braising isn't high enough to break it down...

clambake
01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
No, it wouldn't have been the same. Beef short ribs have a lot of fat and I wanted to render that out on the grill before I braised them...the heat in braising isn't high enough to break it down...

thats a good point.

now, come back to the politics forum.

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 11:48 AM

I see. Well that recipe seems easily adaptable for a slow-cooker, so I'll try it that way. I've cooked melt in your mouth short ribs many times like that. ;)

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
thats a good point.

now, come back to the politics forum.

:lol

Yeah, it's probably pretty hard to have any decent political debates without an articulate conservative representative to attack...you can only get so much mileage out of picking on WC...

clambake
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I see. Well that recipe seems easily adaptable for a slow-cooker, so I'll try it that way. I've cooked melt in your mouth short ribs many times like that. ;)

i use a dutch oven, but taking it off the bone and grilling first might be brilliant.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Do you skim the lake of grease off when you are done?

clambake
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Yeah, it's probably pretty hard to have any decent political debates without an articulate conservative representative...

you don't know how real this statement is.

its quite cruel of you to leave us with wild cobra and crookskanks.

pawe
01-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Leave it in a slow cooker/crock pot for 7-8 hours and it will be more tender, you dont even have to use a fork.

clambake
01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Leave it in a slow cooker/crock pot for 7-8 hours and it will be more tender, you dont even have to use a fork.

trying to remove the fat takes almost as long. :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
you don't know how real this statement is.

its quite cruel of you to leave us with wild cobra and crookskanks.

Meh...I may visit again if I see an interesting topic but the first time y'all start that same old piling on attack crap I'm outa there.

pawe
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
You buy short ribs for the flavor in the fat. :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
You buy short ribs for the flavor in the fat. :lol

well hell, boy, then save your money and just buy a pound of manteca.

clambake
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Meh...I may visit again if I see an interesting topic but the first time y'all start that same old piling on attack crap I'm outa there.

just messing with you. coundn't you tell with my :lol response? there should be a blue :lol

not messing with crookskanks.

pawe
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

If only heart disease is non existent, I'd be eating fat and grease everyday.

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Do you skim the lake of grease off when you are done?

Actually, I cook (either slow cooker or dutch oven) chunks of meat like pot roasts and the short ribs in half of the required liquid (reserving the other half) for half of the recommended time; then I drain off the cooking liquid into a giant measuring cup, trim up the meat, and put it back into the cooker, with the reserved liquid and resume cooking. In the meantime I put the previously poured off liquid in the fridge, until the fat congeals at the top; then scrape it off, warm up the liquid that is left and pour it back into the cooker. It always results in very tender, juicy, non-greasy meat for me.

clambake
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Actually, I cook (either slow cooker or dutch oven) chunks of meat like pot roasts and the short ribs in half of the required liquid (reserving the other half) for half of the recommended time; then I drain off the cooking liquid into a giant measuring cup, trim up the meat, and put it back into the cooker, with the reserved liquid and resume cooking. In the meantime I put the previously poured off liquid in the fridge, until the fat congeals at the top; then scrape it off, warm up the liquid that is left and pour it back into the cooker. It always results in very tender, juicy, non-greasy meat for me.

that too is a good idea.

pawe
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I live in an apartment, on the 3rd floor with small children, so barbecuing is out of the question.

If you live in an apartment complex and you want to have steak but you dont want to go to the pool/grilling area.
Season your rib eye with kosher salt and pepper.
Pre-heat oven to 375.
Using a cast iron pan, heat the canola oil til a little smoke appears.
Pan fry the 2" rib eye 2 1/2 mins each side for the good brown crusting.
Stick the cast iron pan in the oven to finish up the steak. 3 mins for rare, 4 mins for medium.
Optional garlic butter on top of the steak and let it rest for 4-5 mins.

Creamed spinach for the side and we're done, my friend!

baseline bum
01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

When you buy manteca in the store it usually sucks; gotta make it yourself from the pork back fat if you want the good flavor.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
When you buy manteca in the store it usually sucks; gotta make it yourself from the pork back fat if you want the good flavor.

Palabra

Also, beef tallow is an option. A very good option.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Palabra

Also, beef tallow is an option. A very good option.

Yeah, I will put about 5% beef tallow in my venison sausage.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
The second recipe is a fajita one. I live in an apartment, on the 3rd floor with small children, so barbecuing is out of the question. So what I do with my beef fajitas is slice them up and throw them in a bowl. I then cut up red and green bell pepper and onion and mix it all together with the fajitas. I add some lime and fajita seasoning and mix it all together and throw it in the fridge for about an hour. I then cook these stir fry style on medium heat for about 40 minutes to let them soften up a bit (adding a top after you've browned them helps keep them moist and tender). The red bell pepper adds a nice hint of sweetness that is great.

The only thing I'd suggest is to cut your meat after its cooked. I'd just broil it in the oven if you have no grill.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I will put about 5% beef tallow in my venison sausage.

About how much do you get from a steer?

RGMCSE
01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
It always results in very tender, juicy, non-greasy meat for me.

I bet you don't even use your hands either. Cochina!

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 02:35 PM

The last one dressed out at 760#. It didn't get weighed after that but I'd guess it was close to 400-500# of packaged meat. I haul them to the processor and they slaughter, dress, and then hang in the cooler for about a month. Then cut up and package and split with my family.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
The last one dressed out at 760#. It didn't get weighed after that but I'd guess it was close to 400-500# of packaged meat. I haul them to the processor and they slaughter, dress, and then hang in the cooler for about a month. Then cut up and package and split with my family.

Noooooo. I meant how much tallow do you get? Or do you chunk that?

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Noooooo. I meant how much tallow do you get? Or do you chunk that?

I didn't make sausage this year so I didn't save the tallow...FDA regs at the slaughterhouse are kind of funny too on what you can/can't use in this situation...for instance they don't allow me to save the lengua...

leemajors
01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
My dad uses a place called Country Slaughterhouse outside of Victoria for vension processing, and has for about 20 years. They do a very nice coarse grind sausage mixed with some pork. It's juicy, but not overly so. At my brother and I's insistence he gets links, pan sausage, as well as dried sausage links.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I didn't make sausage this year so I didn't save the tallow...FDA regs at the slaughterhouse are kind of funny too on what you can/can't use in this situation...for instance they don't allow me to save the lengua...

Whaaaaaaa? Are you serious? They sound as ridiculous as the TABC

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM

To avoid all that you should just buy a fat separator. Works like a charm and under 5 minutes :)

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Whaaaaaaa? Are you serious? They sound as ridiculous as the TABC

Its true. I was talking to a friend recently who used to work a slaughterhouse ages ago, and he said that the tongue and all organ meats (of both cows and pigs) are heavily regulated BUT they are allowed to let those things go like for one month out of the year, usually around the holidays. And there were riots in the parking lot from people trying to get in on it!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Its true. I was talking to a friend recently who used to work a slaughterhouse ages ago, and he said that the tongue and all organ meats (of both cows and pigs) are heavily regulated BUT they are allowed to let those things go like for one month out of the year, usually around the holidays. And there were riots in the parking lot from people trying to get in on it!

Hmmmmm

mrsmaalox
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
To avoid all that you should just buy a fat separator. Works like a charm and under 5 minutes :)

Oh I have a couple of those but I've found that the congealing method gets more fat off for me. And it all takes less than 5 minutes too :)

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh I have a couple of those but I've found that the congealing method gets more fat off for me. And it all takes less than 5 minutes too :)

Well substances do expand when cooled, so I can why you say that.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Fuck...about 36 inches she said.

Nathan Explosion
01-21-2012, 10:51 AM

I have a set of Chicago cutlery knives that was bought for me by my ex's father on Overstock. He paid less than a hundred and I think they were worth $130 at the time.

http://www.cutleryknifesetssite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ChicagoCutleryBeauty1.jpg

I try to keep them as sharp as possible just using the sharpener provided in the knife block. Again, since I just started getting serious about cooking, I've only started to concentrate on taking care of my knives, so I haven't bought a good stone to sharpen on yet.

I also have a Ginsu santoku knife I bought at HEB. I had to try it because I remembered the commercials from when I was a kid. The first time I used it, I barely grazed my finger and out came the blood. Another time I lopped off a layer of skin off a different finger without even noticing until I say the skin on the board (away from the vegetables luckily). So it was definitely the sharpest knife in my kitchen (although I'm getting my others extremely sharp).

RonPopeil
01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a set of Chicago cutlery knives that was bought for me by my ex's father on Overstock. He paid less than a hundred and I think they were worth $130 at the time.

http://www.cutleryknifesetssite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ChicagoCutleryBeauty1.jpg

I try to keep them as sharp as possible just using the sharpener provided in the knife block. Again, since I just started getting serious about cooking, I've only started to concentrate on taking care of my knives, so I haven't bought a good stone to sharpen on yet.

I also have a Ginsu santoku knife I bought at HEB. I had to try it because I remembered the commercials from when I was a kid. The first time I used it, I barely grazed my finger and out came the blood. Another time I lopped off a layer of skin off a different finger without even noticing until I say the skin on the board (away from the vegetables luckily). So it was definitely the sharpest knife in my kitchen (although I'm getting my others extremely sharp).

I can get you a better deal for just 3 easy payments...of $13.33.

Drachen
01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I got a set of chicago's off of craigslist for $25... I had to sharpen a few nicks out of the blades, but they work great.

Here is my paradoxical suggestion for Nathan Explosion: Get a Vitamix and use it. This is paradoxical because you are single with kids and have posted before about your financial situation. The vitamix is expensive (cheapest at costco when they are presenting), so this would probably prevent you from getting it. However, because you are a single parent it would be perfect for you in several ways (quickly make some damn tasty soups so that you can add a healthy course to your meals (literally, I can get a soup done in about 10 mins or less). Also, you can make fruit smoothies and hide veggies like spinach in them. Make your own sorbet with fresh fruit.... I know I sound like I sell them (I heard they have some kind of a consultant position and I have thought about it since I am so enthusiastic about it), but I don't. I will just say this. I have used my vitamix an average of 2 times a day since I opened it on Dec. 27th.

Now I will make my own request. Please, someone give me a fish (tilapia or mahi mahi) grilling recipe. My wife doesn't like fish, but is trying to be open minded and noted that the two mentioned fish don't have as much of a smell as the others so she is willing to go with those.

I have tried to grill fish only several times, but it always just turns out that there is a little lemony taste on the surface and nothing on the inside. Just to give you an example of what I tried most recently: I got some tilapia filets put them on foil (individually) brushed them with olive oil, dash of salt, dill, squeezed a little lemon, then wrapped them up and put them on the grill. I dont grill directly over the fire. I build the fire in my smoker box and put the foils in the barrel part near the connection between the two.

I would like to improve, fish and ribs are my two worst dishes on the grill and both are due to lack of experience.

Nathan Explosion
01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Not a fish guy myself but I do work in a store where they sell seafood. Have you tried those boards that you put over the fire and put your fish on? They don't burn and are supposed to smoke the fish. That's about all I can suggest.

I've always wanted to try fresh tuna. My store sells yellowfin and fresh ahi, but the ahi is almost $30 a pound. Ouch.

Drachen
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Not a fish guy myself but I do work in a store where they sell seafood. Have you tried those boards that you put over the fire and put your fish on? They don't burn and are supposed to smoke the fish. That's about all I can suggest.

I've always wanted to try fresh tuna. My store sells yellowfin and fresh ahi, but the ahi is almost $30 a pound. Ouch.

I pass by those big thick ahi tuna steaks and my mouth just waters. There is a place called hooks down in Port A that sells a blackened sashimi tuna served with soy and wasabi. The tuna steak used to be about 1.5 inches thick, and about 5 inches across (the quality/size has since gone downhill while the price has increased), best fish I have ever had.

I will try looking for those smoking boards.

leemajors
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I got a set of chicago's off of craigslist for $25... I had to sharpen a few nicks out of the blades, but they work great.

Here is my paradoxical suggestion for Nathan Explosion: Get a Vitamix and use it. This is paradoxical because you are single with kids and have posted before about your financial situation. The vitamix is expensive (cheapest at costco when they are presenting), so this would probably prevent you from getting it. However, because you are a single parent it would be perfect for you in several ways (quickly make some damn tasty soups so that you can add a healthy course to your meals (literally, I can get a soup done in about 10 mins or less). Also, you can make fruit smoothies and hide veggies like spinach in them. Make your own sorbet with fresh fruit.... I know I sound like I sell them (I heard they have some kind of a consultant position and I have thought about it since I am so enthusiastic about it), but I don't. I will just say this. I have used my vitamix an average of 2 times a day since I opened it on Dec. 27th.

Now I will make my own request. Please, someone give me a fish (tilapia or mahi mahi) grilling recipe. My wife doesn't like fish, but is trying to be open minded and noted that the two mentioned fish don't have as much of a smell as the others so she is willing to go with those.

I have tried to grill fish only several times, but it always just turns out that there is a little lemony taste on the surface and nothing on the inside. Just to give you an example of what I tried most recently: I got some tilapia filets put them on foil (individually) brushed them with olive oil, dash of salt, dill, squeezed a little lemon, then wrapped them up and put them on the grill. I dont grill directly over the fire. I build the fire in my smoker box and put the foils in the barrel part near the connection between the two.

I would like to improve, fish and ribs are my two worst dishes on the grill and both are due to lack of experience.

you could try whole trout and stuff the inside with lemongrass, thyme, garlic, green onions, etc. grill it with the skin on directly over the fire. that way the flavors steam themselves into the flesh. the skin crisps up and tastes great. if you are going to use your smoker box for it I would wrap it in foil or banana leaves to keep moisture in. but i prefer to cook fish directly over flame with skin on - the fat starts to render a bit and the lemon juice, soy, or whatever you are using gets in a little better - also, instead of just lemon juice, add slices of lemon on top and/or bottom. CC would probably have some more complete ideas, I usually just do things on the fly with what I have around.

leemajors
01-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I pass by those big thick ahi tuna steaks and my mouth just waters. There is a place called hooks down in Port A that sells a blackened sashimi tuna served with soy and wasabi. The tuna steak used to be about 1.5 inches thick, and about 5 inches across (the quality/size has since gone downhill while the price has increased), best fish I have ever had.

I will try looking for those smoking boards.

They are generally cedar planks, and add a nice aroma and let the fish stew a bit in the juices. soak them for at least 20 minutes so they don't burn.

Drachen
01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
you could try whole trout and stuff the inside with lemongrass, thyme, garlic, green onions, etc. grill it with the skin on directly over the fire. that way the flavors steam themselves into the flesh. the skin crisps up and tastes great. if you are going to use your smoker box for it I would wrap it in foil or banana leaves to keep moisture in. but i prefer to cook fish directly over flame with skin on - the fat starts to render a bit and the lemon juice, soy, or whatever you are using gets in a little better - also, instead of just lemon juice, add slices of lemon on top and/or bottom. CC would probably have some more complete ideas, I usually just do things on the fly with what I have around.

That is kind of what I did. Also, the lemon juice I got was from a lemon and I after squeezing it, I stuck the lemon wedge inside the foil with the fish. I guess the reason that fish is more important to me than learning ribs is because I want to get it right so that my wife will like it now that she has finally relented and said she would eat fish. I have eaten fish maybe 3 or 4 times a year since my wife doesn't like it and it is kinda a pain in the ass to make two different dinners (I cook fish, and she cooks something else)

leemajors
01-21-2012, 01:36 PM
also, cooking tuna steaks on the grill is just delicious, even with just salt, olive oil, and pepper. Barely need to sear it, awesome really rare.

leemajors
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
My first batch of kombucha turned out pretty good too! Bit stronger than the store bought stuff, gives me a nice buzz.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
My first batch of kombucha turned out pretty good too! Bit stronger than the store bought stuff, gives me a nice buzz.

Nice. How long does it need to ferment?

Drachen
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
also, cooking tuna steaks on the grill is just delicious, even with just salt, olive oil, and pepper. Barely need to sear it, awesome really rare.

This is how I order it. I am just afraid to screw up such an expensive meal. LOL. I will keep trying with the cheaper fish until I get better..

leemajors
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Nice. How long does it need to ferment?

I did it without a mature scoby, took about three weeks. I used the dregs from a growler of kombucha my girlfriend got at wheatsville co-op that sat in the fridge for a month. After two weeks it started to smell a bit vinegar-ey, and i tried it this week and it tasted just about right.

leemajors
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Here is a good, incredibly simple recipe for sauerkraut. If you add some peppers and other ingredients you could easily turn it into kimchi - coincidentally, it's the same symbiotic bacteria/yeast that you use for kombucha. I made it a few months ago, and it did retain a lot of the crunchiness of the cabbage:

http://lifehacker.com/5835007/sauerkraut-is-easy-to-make-great-for-your-gut

Nathan Explosion
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
This is how I order it. I am just afraid to screw up such an expensive meal. LOL. I will keep trying with the cheaper fish until I get better..

Yeah, that's how I feel about cooking ribeyes, porter house or ny strip. But I'm feeling more confident in my searing abilities that I may throw down some money on the good stuff. At my store we had Prime NY Strip on sale of $9 a pound as opposed to 12.

The only reason it can get expensive for me is because I have to buy enough for everyone, not just me.

Nathan Explosion
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Also forgot to mention how much I've come to hate cooking on electric stoves. I really hope I can get a house when my lease is up just so I can have a gas stove.

I have decent pots and pans, nice knives and such. I just need a better stove.

CosmicCowboy
01-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Also forgot to mention how much I've come to hate cooking on electric stoves. I really hope I can get a house when my lease is up just so I can have a gas stove.

I have decent pots and pans, nice knives and such. I just need a better stove.

I used to say that but a good electric glass top is even better than gas in my opinion.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm making some chicken tortilla soup for lunch and a beef roast for dinner today. Also will be working on the menu for the week. Saves time and money.

CosmicCowboy
01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Cosmiccowboy creamed corn...this is BETTER than Rudys...guarantee it's the best you have ever had...

It starts with:

8 oz heavy whipping cream
8 oz milk (2% is OK if you don't have whole milk)

start heating in a large saucepan

add 6 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
a couple dashes of salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like a little after bite)

add 40 ounces of frozen sweet corn you have let thaw to room temperature.

bring to a boil and cut it back to a low simmer. As with any time you are doing a milk base you need to stir frequently.

After you bring it to a boil add 4 ounces of cream cheese (cubed so it melts faster)

While it's simmering melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl in the microwave and then stir in 3 tablespoons of flour...this is your final thickener..

stir that butter/flour mixture into the corn slowly as it simmers...simmer 5 minutes and it's done...It would probably make 8-10 servings if it wasn't so good...

leemajors
01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Cosmiccowboy creamed corn...this is BETTER than Rudys...guarantee it's the best you have ever had...

It starts with:

8 oz heavy whipping cream
8 oz milk (2% is OK if you don't have whole milk)

start heating in a large saucepan

add 6 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
a couple dashes of salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like a little after bite)

add 40 ounces of frozen sweet corn you have let thaw to room temperature.

bring to a boil and cut it back to a low simmer. As with any time you are doing a milk base you need to stir frequently.

After you bring it to a boil add 4 ounces of cream cheese (cubed so it melts faster)

While it's simmering melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl in the microwave and then stir in 3 tablespoons of flour...this is your final thickener..

stir that butter/flour mixture into the corn slowly as it simmers...simmer 5 minutes and it's done...It would probably make 8-10 servings if it wasn't so good...

Every try subbing some Chevre from CKC Farms in Blanco for that cream cheese?

CosmicCowboy
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Every try subbing some Chevre from CKC Farms in Blanco for that cream cheese?

No but i'm sure it would be good.

mrsmaalox
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Okay everyone, my dad is driving into town this afternoon and I want to prepare a special dinner. I have a gorgeous 3lb salmon filet and a brand spanking new gas grill----I cook salmon fairly frequently, but I want this to be special. Throw me your ideas for techniques, seasonings and sides, I'm all ears! ;)

CosmicCowboy
01-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I slow smoked one at Christmas that was amazing...rubbed it with olive oil and then dry rubbed it with a spicy/brown sugary BBQ rub...the slow smoked off of direct heat for a couple of hours till it was flaky...you can turn your gas grill into a smoker by taking wood chips and foil and rolling a giant doobie...then poke a few holes in it and put it in the bottom of the grill directly over the burners on low heat...you might need a couple of these and change them out half way through if you are going to smoke for a couple of hours..put the salmon on foil off to the back or to the side of the direct flame.

Mark in Austin
01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Okay everyone, my dad is driving into town this afternoon and I want to prepare a special dinner. I have a gorgeous 3lb salmon filet and a brand spanking new gas grill----I cook salmon fairly frequently, but I want this to be special. Throw me your ideas for techniques, seasonings and sides, I'm all ears! ;)

Broiled Sockeye Salmon w/ Citrus Glaze (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html)

But I use orange zest and light brown sugar. Works great with mashed sweet potatoes and a green veg.

Frenzy
01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
If you live in an apartment complex and you want to have steak but you dont want to go to the pool/grilling area.
Pre-heat oven to 375.
Stick the cast iron pan in the oven to finish up the steak. 3 mins for rare, 4 mins for medium.

Alton brown did the same on one of his shows...works great.

Nathan Explosion
01-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Pre-heat oven to 375.

Not one for vegetables, but this sounds great. Will do next Thursday as I will be broke before then.

I did cook sirloins once that were perfect, but that was before I really tried to do it. As I said earlier, what I really want to work on is my sear on steaks and whatnot.

Hopefully I can get a house in June. And if I do, the first accessory I'm buying is a grill, and then it's on. :king

SourCandy
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Not one for vegetables

JoeChalupa
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Anyone have a fish taco recipe? With some kick ass slaw?
Talapia? Fried or baked or grilled? Help.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
I grill mine.

I normally use trout I catch at the coast but tilapia would work.

I marinate the fillets in a gallon ziplock with a can of frozen margarita drink mix concentrate (thawed) and a handful of chopped fresh basil and a handful of chopped fresh mint. Marinate for about an hour but don't leave them overnight or the lime juice will soften them too much...

When you put them on the grill dust them with spicy cajun seasoning (like Tony's)

I slice the red cabbage really really thin (I normally do it on the deli slicer) and toss with homemade chipotle mayo...I just mix the mayo by color...orange/pink is about the right heat for me...plus serve the chipotle mayo on the side...

serve on hot corn tortillas...

it kicks ass!

Viva Las Espuelas
02-10-2012, 10:03 AM

JoeChalupa
02-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I grill mine.

I marinate the fillets in a gallon ziplock with a can of frozen margarita drink mix concentrate (thawed) and a handful of chopped fresh basil and a handful of chopped fresh mint. Marinate for about an hour but don't leave them overnight or the lime juice will soften them too much...

When you put them on the grill dust them with spicy cajun seasoning (like Tony's)

I slice the red cabbage really really thin (I normally do it on the deli slicer) and toss with homemade chipotle mayo...I just mix the mayo by color...orange/pink is about the right heat for me...plus serve the chipotle mayo on the side...

it kicks ass!

:tu So just red cabbage? I'm going to try that and grill some up.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2012, 11:48 AM
:tu So just red cabbage? I'm going to try that and grill some up.

Eh, you can do green if you want or a mix of the two...the chipotle mayo and the slightly minty/sweet taste to the fish is what kicks it to the next level...I will put the spicy mayo on the tortilla, then add the fish/cabbage.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh yeah, serve with lime slices...

marini martini
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I grill mine.

it kicks ass!

We use bass, grill in tin foil with cajun seasoning/butter/lime, serve w/corn tortillas, slaw mix, chipotle ranch..................:tu

mrsmaalox
02-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Except for salmon, I'm pretty squeamish about fish but these fish tacos recipes have peaked my curiosity.....maybe this weekend!

stretch
02-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Hotwater Soup
2 Cups Water
Pot
Stove

Put the water in the pot
Put the pot on the stove
Heat stove to maximum temperature
When water beings to boil, remove from heat
Let cool 5 minutes
Pour in bowl
Enjoy!

http://www.displayfakefoods.com/store/pc/catalog/dogwaterbowl_1336_detail_1811_general.jpg

Yum!

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Hotwater Soup
2 Cups Water
Pot
Stove

Put the water in the pot
Put the pot on the stove
Heat stove to maximum temperature
When water beings to boil, remove from heat
Let cool 5 minutes
Pour in bowl
Enjoy!

http://www.displayfakefoods.com/store/pc/catalog/dogwaterbowl_1336_detail_1811_general.jpg

Yum!

Sheeesh. How archaic.

Put 2 cups of water in bowl.
microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Done

clambake
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
real men wouldn't let it cool for 5 minutes.

Sportcamper
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Except for salmon, I'm pretty squeamish about fish

Yellowtail caught & bar be que'd same day… Chilled Chardonnay…Actually most salt water fish caught & bar be que'd same day w/ Chilled Chardonnay…You won't be squeamish... :tu

JoeChalupa
04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
I made Zuppa Toscana soup yesterday and it turned out very good.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/559036_2890605027642_1335728247_32035867_243679041 _n.jpg

leemajors
07-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I've acquired two awesome cooking tools in the last few months. My roomate got me a Micoplane Grater for my birthday in March:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/thvGr8IY7BMVqHAg5cXN3lyftiULkt66baE4OMiFKyUt_3mgzz 33tqIyOuKl7I6ba_7xkmP5mYZnvv6wC5hYUEECJ6__iuIjbE2s IsXXTWEp7pSugqu9GW4kNWjbqfyo09KKv9IwGQ4
Parm slides off of this thing effortlessly, even right next to the rind.

Finally bought a Mandoline. Slicing anything to fridge pickle is so easy and quick - carrots, cucumbers, leeks, etc. I make potato chips for my daughter in the oven with olive oil and salt, gratins, whatever. There are 4 settings you can rotate the blade to - from .5mm to 3mm:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qzykZrGM08M/TA62SdgZYpI/AAAAAAAAAKE/8KH0wWCbQjc/s400/mandolin+%26+red+onion.JPG