PDA

View Full Version : Soda Stream - Not Bad IMO

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Got one for Christmas and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Pretty simple to use. It came with one CO2 tank and a mix of different flavors in small sample packs. For some reason, out of 12 packets, 8 of them were diet. The first one we tried was Dr. Pete. It tasted like shit. Something mildly Dr. Peppery about it but way to sweet. The next flavor we tried was Orange and it tasted like shit. Root Beer was below average. My daughter said the lemon/lime was OK. Anyway, my guess is that all the flavors will suck.

However, it does do a good job carbonating the water. It's easy to use and you can regulate how fizzy you want your drink to be. Instead of using the SodaStream flavors, we've been using Mio or squeezing a little friut juice into it. And personally, I like drinking plain soda water over ice.

We are still on our first cartridge of CO2. I wish I had kept track of how much water it's been able to carbonate but with the kids using it, it was impossible. When I get the next cartridge, I may try to keep better count to get an idea of what it costs to make a 12 oz soda. My guess is that using the Mio is much cheaper on a per oz. basis than buying their flavors. Not to mention it tastes better and is probably healthier (ignoring any cancer causing agents).

All in all, I think it'll probably save us in soda $ as well as provide a healthier alternative.

I give it thumbs up.

CosmicCowboy
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
So did you give them Hannitys discount code?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I kinda want one of those but just for making my own soda water.

stretch
01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
lol dr pete

JoeChalupa
01-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I've wondered if the soda was up to par but I'm a water or tea drinker these days.

Biernutz
01-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I got one but I'm a little disappointed that the flavors are a bit weak tasting. I don't know if the need more caffeine so they will have more bite. The root beer and the Dr. Pete was just O.K. but the colas were weak. It did make a good fizz. If you have any bar drinks that need that fizz --get it.

phxspurfan
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
You might try those Italian soda syrups: http://www.passportcoffee.com/store/media/ccp0/cat/torani-1.jpg
They are pretty good and aren't expensive.

thispego
01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Lol that shot is gay. Soda tastes like shit. My cousin got one and he said he thought he'd save on soda costs. I was like rofl wtf. But now you have to buy co2 and flavoring and it doesn't taste as good, and you have to waste time making it! Fuck that!

baseline bum
01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Sounds cool just for making carbonated lime-aid from scratch; that shit kills any soda out there.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I got one for christmas too... I've been using it instead of buying coke zero bottles... saved me money already and the good thing is that the Cola flavor actually uses Splenda instead of aspartame (like Zero), which makes it sweeter, but without the sugar.

It's easy to use and you can make the Soda in a matter of a minute or two.

Tried the Lemon-Lime(sprite) and Cola (Coke) flavors and they're as good as the real thing. Wife tried the Fresca-like flavor and she said it's spot on too.

I went to Staples and bought a spare CO2 tank (I haven't finished the first one yet), and a Sprite-like and Coke-like flavoring bottles. I would certainly recommend if you drink soda a lot.

:tu:tu