View Full Version : Bogut ready for draft to be over

ducks
06-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Bogut ready for draft to be over

By DOUG ALDEN, AP Sports Writer
June 17, 2005

AP - Jun 17, 6:19 pm EDT
More Photos

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Andrew Bogut is ready to find his new home. Unfortunately, it will be more than a week before he learns where that will be.

Bogut returned to Salt Lake City on Friday and held a brief news conference, where he said he's anxious for the NBA draft on June 28.

``I definitely want it to speed up a bit. Obviously it's been a long haul. It'd be good if it could happen tomorrow,'' Bogut said.

Bogut, who left Utah after two seasons, will likely go to either Milwaukee with the top pick or Atlanta, which picks second in the draft. He plans private workouts with both teams next week, although both already have a good idea of what they would be getting.

The 7-footer from Australia was The Associated Press player of the year, averaging 20.4 points and 12.2 rebounds in leading the Utes to the third round of NCAA tournament for the first time since 1998.

He came back to Utah to shoot some publicity photos for the school. He said his eyes were fine, reluctantly addressing rumors that he has a degenerative eye disease. Bogut said the same thing last week at the NBA predraft camp, declining to talk about former Utah coach Rick Majerus and allegations that he had told NBA executives Bogut's eyesight was in decline.

There have also been rumblings that maybe Bogut isn't worthy of an overall No. 1 pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

``Rumors will be rumors. People have positive things to say. People have negative things to say,'' he said. ``I don't bother listening to all that stuff. I know what I can do.''

Bogut has spent the past few months working out with a personal coach in Washington, D.C. He enjoyed a short period of relative anonymity, but now everybody recognizes him.

Lots of people want to become his friend, since he's in line for a huge payday even if he isn't the No. 1 pick. Bogut also has a deal pending with Nike and was wearing a white and blue T-shirt from the athletic apparel company.

Bogut plans to fly to Milwaukee on Sunday and work out with coach Terry Porter and meet U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl, the team owner. Then he's off to Atlanta to meet with the Hawks. Those are the only two teams on his schedule because he isn't expected to go any later than second in the draft.

``Either situation is exciting to me,'' Bogut said.

If Bogut does go No. 1, he will make history. Former Utes quarterback Alex Smith was the first player taken in the NFL draft in April and no school has had players go at the top of both drafts in the same year.

As a member of the Mountain West Conference, Utah gets a much smaller share of national exposure than schools from larger leagues which have bigger television deals. But with two top picks, Utah would get plenty of notice.

``I think our football and basketball are very good programs here. I think they're some of the best in the nation,'' Bogut said. ``People can't just throw the Mountain West thing in there with two No. 1 picks. Take it as they like, but I think it will definitely help the school and promote the school nationwide.''