PDA

View Full Version : Splitter should demand a trade...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
....to go with an apology

DPG21920
01-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Tiago has a great demeanor and attitude. He is a true professional. A lot of other players would be vocal about the lack of/inconsistent minutes even when playing well. He won't demand a trade, but Pop better start using him if he wants any chance of playoff success. Not that it's guaranteed, but it's about giving yourself the best chance.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I know he never would, this thread was made in jest.

He got a strong number of minutes in the 2nd qtr, and the Spurs got back in it.

Will be curious to see how his minutes play out in the 2nd half.

timtonymanu
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Props to Tiago for dealing with the BS like a pro.

He still manages to play well despite his lack of minutes. Bonner just continues to play like a coward no matter what.

timtonymanu
01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
It's not like Bonner is shooting lights out either compared to last season. Bonner gives up points on both ends of the floor. Tiago may not be that great offensively, but he can at least make it up on the defensive end.

And I thought Pop's obsession with Finley was bad....

SenorSpur
01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Pop has an aversion toward size. He prefers small-ball and the players that match that philosophy.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Even a lazy brat like Beno Udrih suffered Pop's bullshit for a few years before he finally started to complain. Don't know if you take a chance because Pop has so many people across the country fooled that the Spurs are such a well-run organization with such a good record at developing talent.

mystargtr34
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
tbh i would rather see Tiago reach his full potential on another team than sit on the Spurs bench behind Bonner and Blair.

mystargtr34
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM

jag
01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
A heinous crime takes place every single time the Spurs play; Popovich is the perpetrator, and Tiago is the victim.

jag
01-20-2012, 10:02 PM
tbh i would rather see Tiago reach his full potential on another team than sit on the Spurs bench behind Bonner and Blair.

You bite your tongue.

Darkwaters
01-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Pop has an aversion toward size. He prefers small-ball and the players that match that philosophy.

How is Bonner small-ball? Hes more like, unathletic, non-rebounding but still reasonably tall ball.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I only get a very small amount of satisfaction seeing Mahinmi play well in Dallas, and I'd rather have been wrong than have him help the Mavs in any way.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
How is Bonner small-ball? Hes more like, unathletic, non-rebounding but still reasonably tall ball.

Nothing about his game suggests length. He's Blake Ahearn with a thyroid problem.

slick'81
01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
lol this bonner shit is getting tired what a pos

angelbelow
01-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Haha I actually had a dream where he demanded a trade. Pop proceeds to put on him the inactive list and splitter is banned from the team. But then a lot of crazy shit started happening so I knew it was a dream.

Russ
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
The funny thing is, Splitter signed a below-market contract (home-town discount almost), but has seen little or no reward from the organization.

As Sean Elliott just said, Tiago needs to be seen as more than just a "fancy trinket."

ElNono
01-20-2012, 11:54 PM

Offensively, for all intents and purposes, he plays on the perimeter.
Defensively, well, he plays like he's rarely there.

mystargtr34
01-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Just because Bonner is listed as a 'PF' doesnt make him one. Playing him at the 4 is most certaintly small ball.. same with Blair to an extent. He cant effectively guard anybody over 6'7.. or anybody in the NBA for that matter.. and he cant rebound on the defensive end anymore.

So technically.. the Spurs are almost always playing small ball.. unless Tiago and Tim are on the court together.

mystargtr34
01-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Dp.

Obstructed_View
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Matt Bonner plays defense like an assistant coach during shooting drills, which is why his opponents are always able to shoot over him. The only difference is that Bonner manages to foul the guys and then stand there with his hands up in the air like he didn't do anything wrong. We can split hairs over whether it's smallball or not, but he's got no business playing power forward or center in a good NBA rotation.

TJastal
01-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Just because Bonner is listed as a 'PF' doesnt make him one. Playing him at the 4 is most certaintly small ball.. same with Blair to an extent. He cant effectively guard anybody over 6'7.. or anybody in the NBA for that matter.. and he cant rebound on the defensive end anymore.

So technically.. the Spurs are almost always playing small ball.. unless Tiago and Tim are on the court together.

+1

Both depth-wise & size-wise the spurs are lacking on the frontline. It was pretty much hanging by a thread last year, and now this year McDyess is gone.

Last year saw the spurs win 62 games with some real lucky 3pt shooting combined with some unbelievable fortune with opponents' key players being out or injured. This went on for a good portion of the season. When injuries finally caught up, and the dust settled the spurs were a #1 seed that played more like a #7 or #8 seed. They took alot of teams by surprise by uncharacteristically running the ball and pushing the tempo. Those teams will not be surprised two years in a row.

Pop better just hope and pray Duncan will not only make it to the end of the season, but won't be completely shot, having to carry a massive load once again pretty much all by himself except for the rare occassions he sees the court with Tiago (usually for one play before he is subbed out on next dead ball).

Sean Cagney
01-21-2012, 12:54 AM
POP lost it years ago, he is an idiot now. I am sick of this rotations at key times, he is just dumb as hell now and stubborn.

dbreiden83080
01-21-2012, 12:57 AM

Aversion to size.. That didn't net him 4 rings..

dbreiden83080
01-21-2012, 01:00 AM

And how does Pop preach defense so much yet plays Bonner and keeps on playing him in spite of his awful D and lack of rebounding?

therealtruth
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Pop needs to go and look at his old tapes. He used to play D. Robinson and Duncan together. Heck he even used to use a frontline of Perdue, Robinson, and Duncan. Now he's allergic to big frontlines for some reason. Most teams would love to be able to start to skilled 7 footers.

Obstructed_View
01-21-2012, 01:09 AM
By the way, standing reach numbers from Draftexpress:

Malcolm Thomas: 8' 10"

Matt Bonner: 8' 9.5"

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2012, 02:10 AM
there are times out there splitter is even playin better then duncan...

fck pop

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Aversion to size.. That didn't net him 4 rings..

And what have you been watching since that last championship in 2007? A healthy superstar power forward, in his prime, along with a well-balanced roster that featured two other All-star players, were the catalysts for those titles.

The fact a 35 year old Tim Duncan is still the best big on this team should tell you something. The fact that Matt Bonner IS even on this team and playing heavy rotation minutes should also tell you something.

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Matt Bonner plays defense like an assistant coach during shooting drills, which is why his opponents are always able to shoot over him. The only difference is that Bonner manages to foul the guys and then stand there with his hands up in the air like he didn't do anything wrong. We can split hairs over whether it's smallball or not, but he's got no business playing power forward or center in a good NBA rotation.

Bonner has no business on this team at all.

angelbelow
01-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Bonner has no business on this team at all.

On top of that, its annoying when he hits a 3 and certain posters in the live thread go "bonner just took a shit on spurstalk." For fuck sakes thats the LEAST we can expect of him. If hes not hitting those shots hes literally a waste of roster, 4 million a year and 16 million total. he better hit those wide open 3s because that at least neglects his uselessness by a tad.

Obstructed_View
01-21-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm fine with him as an instant source of 9 or 12 points in 3 or 4 minutes every few games. Hell, he'd almost be worth that contract if he could do that for you.

angelbelow
01-21-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm fine with him as an instant source of 9 or 12 points in 3 or 4 minutes every few games. Hell, he'd almost be worth that contract if he could do that for you.

With that said, I hope he starts nailing open 3s at a similar rate to last year. Good point about the 3 or 4 minutes because good chance hes useless from april.

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 04:18 AM
On top of that, its annoying when he hits a 3 and certain posters in the live thread go "bonner just took a shit on spurstalk." For fuck sakes thats the LEAST we can expect of him. If hes not hitting those shots hes literally a waste of roster, 4 million a year and 16 million total. he better hit those wide open 3s because that at least neglects his uselessness by a tad.

+1

For my money, he's a waste no matter what he does. It's maddening that some posters, and more importantly the head coach, simply choose to ignore Bonner's penchant for melting down under pressure. He's got no stones to match his set of limited skills and below average athleticism. And don't get me started on his playoff production - or lack thereof. If a player only one skill, he'd better be the best at it, regular season and playoffs. Bonner isn't.

mystargtr34
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
So word is.. Duncan sitting tonight against the Rockets.

Bonner to start alongside Blair :lol

Motherfucking bump.

timtonymanu
01-21-2012, 07:20 PM
lol

and I almost gave Pop props for letting Splitter play over Bonner early in the season. Oh well, Pop just loves the hate.

siraulo23
01-21-2012, 07:23 PM
lol bonner starting over splitter

scola going for 50 tonight