PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal's decision making..

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I understand that you cannot ask him to change, as it could potentially fuck with his confidence..his confidence and his balls are what aid him to play his style of game..

However, it has become increasingly difficult to watch his shot and pass selection, tbh..

I'm not convinced that Neal can be a top 8 player on a title team..

urunobili
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm starting to get pissed. Last year he wouldn't feed Splitter. Even with Tiago hot making baskets, seems to be the case again this year...

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-20-2012, 10:36 PM
there's no decision to be made. he's just out there to shoot, make or miss.

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Neal's not a point guard. See Mason, Roger. Just let him do what he do. Just let him do what he do. In other words, Joseph needs to be thrown off the boat to see if he can sink or swim, and it needs to be done now.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2012, 10:44 PM
It's not as simple as make or miss..

His shot selection and pass selection is atrocious, at times, and it compounds his horrible D IMO..

Obstructed_View
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
It's not as simple as make or miss..

His shot selection and pass selection is atrocious, at times, and it compounds his horrible D IMO..

He's likely being frantically force-fed point guard duties during his off hours. Evidence of that is how much better he was playing when he came back from his appendectomy.

DMC
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
He has no real skill set other than his spot up jumper. If he cannot hit that, he's totally useless. He must keep taking that or just go to the end of the bench.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
He has no real skill set other than his spot up jumper. If he cannot hit that, he's totally useless. He must keep taking that or just go to the end of the bench.

I fully agree, which is why I don't think he can be a top 8 player on a title team..

However, he believes(so does Pop, I guess) that he can create offense for himself and others, which often leads to horrible shots and decisions..

ElNono
01-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I think shot creators like Manu can make guys like him useful. What he has over a strict shooter like RMJ is that his handles are not that awful and he can actually put the ball on the floor. But I agree he shouldn't be making many decisions about plays in general out there. Which is the reason Pop just simply shouldn't be playing him at PG.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2012, 02:28 AM
i think i rather have him on the court chuckin shots then someone like JA, RJ, BONNER, cj...

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Neal's not a point guard. See Mason, Roger. Just let him do what he do. Just let him do what he do. In other words, Joseph needs to be thrown off the boat to see if he can sink or swim, and it needs to be done now.

+1

Excellent example using Roger Mason, Jr. These situations are eerily the same. Neither Mason, Jr or Neal have the instincts or skills necessary to play the backup PG role. The on-court evidence, along with mistakes, turnovers and lackluster production, are clear. Yet here is Pop STILL trying teach pig to fly. It just doesn't work.

Adding further insult to injury is that Cory Joseph has actually been decent in his limited minutes backing up Parker. Why Pop elected to deviate from that plan, is just another one of his exceedingly, mind-numbing coaching decision. I mean, this was the Sacramento Kings, for crying out loud. A team that is point guard deficient, and the Spurs still lost. While Joseph didn't exactly play lights out against the Kings, the game wasn't going to be won or lost on his play. The Spurs only need Joseph to give Parker some much-needed rest.

EricD
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Neal has actually done quite well backing up Tony the past month or so.

Looks like some of you guys mistakenly made wild analysis based on the first couple of games.

Not saying he's Jason Kidd at back-up point guard, but he's done an admirable job.

LOL @ comparing him to Mason.

Choo- Choo!

dylankerouac
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I remember these posts.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Good thread reanimation, EricD. I too was pleasantly surprised at how Neal was able to reinvent himself into a semi-passable backup PG. Even dishing the dimes! Methinks he has some brains in that skull. Or maybe that medicine cabinet incident knocked PG skills into him. :)

EricD
02-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Good thread reanimation, EricD.

Thanks Mama!

That's what I'm hear for!

I eat, breathe, and shit basketball! :toast

Darkwaters
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
He still has a long ways to go, but Neal has definitely shown some flashes at having legitimate back-up PG ability. Hes just not consistent at this point. Still, he doesn't have to be running the point for the team to gain from his added skill-set. I hope he continues to improve and expand his game.

EricD
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
He still has a long ways to go, but Neal has definitely shown some flashes at having legitimate back-up PG ability. Hes just not consistent at this point. Still, he doesn't have to be running the point for the team to gain from his added skill-set. I hope he continues to improve and expand his game.

If Spurs needed him to play 30 minutes a night at point, then yeah he would need a "long way to go". But fortunately that's not the reality chief. Spurs only need him to be competent 15 minutes a game max, all while Manu/TJ are out.

I think he's proved he's more than capable to fill in the void til T.J or Manu get back.

Spurminator
02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
The difference between RMJ and Neal's situations, IMO, is that no one's trying to make Neal a backup point guard. He's just been put in that situation because of injuries.

I recall the RMJ situation being more about trying to evolve his skill set, but I could be misremembering.

HarlemHeat37
02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I absolutely stand by my comment about his shot and pass selection, but since his jump shot has returned, I've gained a lot of confidence in him..he has become one of my favorite players..

To be fair, I've never compared him to Mason..

Cant_Be_Faded
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
The only comparison to be made is in the way pop would force both to run the point, potentially ruining their scoring prowess. Neal has done better than the low bar rmj set. lets hope he stays healthy and keeps getting better