PDA

View Full Version : Toros PG Dentmon named Player of the Week

wildbill2u
01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
"NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2012 – Justin Dentmon of the Austin Toros was today named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played Jan. 9-15.
Dentmon, a 6-0, 185-pound guard out of Washington, averaged 26.3 points, 7.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds in 39.5 minutes last week, shooting 53 percent from the floor. He tied a season-high with 31 points in a 114-107 road win over the Reno Bighorns on Jan. 15 as the Toros went 3-1 on the week. For the season, Dentmon is averaging 23.9 points, 5.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds." FG is 48.8% and 3pt. is 42.1%.

This guy is much more experienced and ready to play in the NBA than Joseph. The FO should bring him up to the Spurs in this PG crisis and send Joseph to the Toros for more seasoning against comparable competition.

TJastal
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
"NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2012 – Justin Dentmon of the Austin Toros was today named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played Jan. 9-15.
Dentmon, a 6-0, 185-pound guard out of Washington, averaged 26.3 points, 7.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds in 39.5 minutes last week, shooting 53 percent from the floor. He tied a season-high with 31 points in a 114-107 road win over the Reno Bighorns on Jan. 15 as the Toros went 3-1 on the week. For the season, Dentmon is averaging 23.9 points, 5.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds." FG is 48.8% and 3pt. is 42.1%.

This guy is much more experienced and ready to play in the NBA than Joseph. The FO should bring him up to the Spurs in this PG crisis and send Joseph to the Toros for more seasoning against comparable competition.

Agreed 100%. Wtf is even the point of the toros if a guy like this isn't brought aboard in a crisis situation?

wildbill2u
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Agreed 100%. Wtf is even the point of the toros if a guy like this isn't brought aboard in a crisis situation?

Well, apparently no one else cares to discuss about our rather thin PG position on this Board so why should the FO or coaching staff? :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-21-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm not convinced his D-League skills will translate.

Remember Anthony Grundy?

Neither do I.

jjktkk
01-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, apparently no one else cares to discuss about our rather thin PG position on this Board so why should the FO or coaching staff? :rolleyes

Regarding the Spur's pg situation, its just bad luck that they are forced to play their 3rd string pg, whose raw and needs expierence. Not sure how many teams in the league have productive 3rd string pgs.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Detmon is pretty awful against the press at this point, for example. Benoesque.

LakerHater
01-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Give'em a try, call'em up & send Joseph down!

Libri
01-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Detmon is pretty awful against the press at this point, for example. Benoesque.

That would keep him in Pop's dog house for an eternity.

timvp
01-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Pop needs to find a backup point guard he can trust, whether it's CJ, Neal, Green, Dentmon or whoever. He can't play Parker 40 minutes a night, especially since Parker has to do basically the entire heavy lifting when he's in the game.

When the Spurs opted for injury-prone TJ Ford, I was told it was a great signing since if he failed or got hurt, the Spurs would be able to turn around and sign a quality backup at any point in the season. Still waiting for the prophecy to come true . . .

ChumpDumper
01-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Would probably just pick up Antonio Daniels at this point.

TJastal
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Pop needs to find a backup point guard he can trust, whether it's CJ, Neal, Green, Dentmon or whoever. He can't play Parker 40 minutes a night, especially since Parker has to do basically the entire heavy lifting when he's in the game.

When the Spurs opted for injury-prone TJ Ford, I was told it was a great signing since if he failed or got hurt, the Spurs would be able to turn around and sign a quality backup at any point in the season. Still waiting for the prophecy to come true . . .

I wonder if Danny Green could fill the role, ala what Garret Temple was supposed to be. Seems to have handles.

Obstructed_View
01-21-2012, 03:50 PM
All they need is a warm body to keep Parker from having to play 40 minutes a night. It's really not that tough. I still haven't seen any evidence that Joseph is incapable of doing that for a few weeks, but if it takes a D league guy to come in to do it and Pop actually gives Parker some relief, then I'm all for it.

Bruno
01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
It doesn't look like a good idea to chose, as emergency backup PG, a player without NBA experience and who is the D-League turnover leader with 4.63 per game. Ishmael Smith seems to be a better pick.

ElNono
01-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I wonder if Danny Green could fill the role, ala what Garret Temple was supposed to be. Seems to have handles.

Danny has been running the point for small stretches the last couple of games. He had a few turnovers in the process too. Part of the process, I guess.