PDA

View Full Version : I seriously hope the Magic keep Howard this year

ChrisRichards
01-21-2012, 01:58 PM
The Magic have become more brazen in their belief they should roll the dice, allowing Dwight Howard to become a free agent this summer, where he can choose to leave -- at a very significant reduction in guaranteed money.

"He can still walk," Magic general manager Otis Smith said Friday afternoon. "But with a $30 million haircut."

To stay in Orlando, under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, Howard can sign a five-year deal worth $110 million. To play anywhere else – unless he is traded there first – it will be four years and $80.5 million.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218467/Magic_May_Allow_Howard_To_Leave_In_Free_Agency#ixz z1k7XurSuc

ChrisRichards
01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Someone needs to make an example. Im sick of these players demanding and threatening franchise that developed them. Not a huge fan of Otis but I really dont like Dwight. I hope Orlando keeps him.

pass1st
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Howards Priorities
1. Ring
2. Fame
3. Cash

dunkman
01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
He could sign an extra year later, it's more like less than $10M "hair cut" . . .

LakerHater
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
http://px9.funformobile.com/d/169/61/1fjdcjav7c/499990568.png

DMC
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Fuck Howard.

ogait
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Someone needs to make an example. Im sick of these players demanding and threatening franchise that developed them. Not a huge fan of Otis but I really dont like Dwight. I hope Orlando keeps him.

So I take it you were against Lebron leaving Cleveland?

DMC
01-21-2012, 03:04 PM
So I take it you were against Lebron leaving Cleveland?
Lebron didn't threaten anyone. He was a free agent and didn't demand to be traded.

Bill_Brasky
01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Never really liked Howard.

ogait
01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Lebron didn't threaten anyone. He was a free agent and didn't demand to be traded.

As Dwight will be at the end of the season. It will be the same situation and probably a similar outcome, nothing wrong with it. Hopefully without the TV show to go with it.

DMC
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
As Dwight will be at the end of the season. It will be the same situation and probably a similar outcome, nothing wrong with it. Hopefully without the TV show to go with it.
You missed the point.

Dwight is talking about wanting to be traded NOW. That seriously fucks with a team's ability to form a cohesive unit. It's distracting for everyone.

A free agent doesn't have to demand anything. That's what "free" means.

No one here faults a player for wanting to leave at the end of a contract. It's those who demand a trade mid contract, and like Howard who are doing it to get in on the bromance pairing that's happening all around the league.

Howard wanted to be part of the hoopla.

Fabbs
01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
You missed the point.

Dwight is talking about wanting to be traded NOW. That seriously fucks with a team's ability to form a cohesive unit. It's distracting for everyone.

No one here faults a player for wanting to leave at the end of a contract. It's those who demand a trade mid contract, and like Howard who are doing it to get in on the bromance pairing that's happening all around the league.

Somewhat agree, but if he was coming to the Spurs how would you like it?

DMC
01-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Somewhat agree, but if he was coming to the Spurs how would you like it?
What are you agreeing with?

I was pointing out what CR was saying.

I cannot speculate on such a far fetched notion. If I was a Lakers fan, I wouldn't give a shit about how other players treated their teams, just that they came to ours. As a Spurs fan, I know we won't ever get a marquee name on a FA deal, so I can stand my moral high ground.

Fabbs
01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
To stay in Orlando, under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, Howard can sign a five-year deal worth $110 million. To play anywhere else – unless he is traded there first – it will be four years and $80.5 million.
How does it affect his lifestyle if he gets **only** 80 million vs 110?

Plus he gets way more endorsement bucks if he goes to the Brooklyn Nets.
Or if he sells out and becomes an LA Flamer he'll bank wayy more.

DMC
01-21-2012, 03:50 PM
How does it affect his lifestyle if he gets **only** 80 million vs 110?

Plus he gets way more endorsement bucks if he goes to the Brooklyn Nets.
Or if he sells out and becomes an LA Flamer he'll bank wayy more.
Yeah, what's 30 million between friends?

Imagine at a lower level. What lifestyle change would you have at 110K vs 80K

Fabbs
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, what's 30 million between friends?

Imagine at a lower level. What lifestyle change would you have at 110K vs 80K
Skewed comparison.

Plus the point about endorsments. Superstars make far more then their salary off deals. Granted, DHoward is not a ss yet. But in a Brooklyn-NY area market....plus if he could get help to take them to a finals, just getting there let alone winning one....his endorsments would go thru the roof. Far surpassing the 30 (or is it 10) deficit.

rayjayjohnson
01-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Howards Priorities
1. Ring
2. Fame
3. Cash

Don't forget

4. Pussy
5. Jesus

rayjayjohnson
01-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Not directed at you DMC, more the general public - why has it taken almost 2 years for people to accept that Bron was (The Decision aside) much more professional than Carmelo and Chris Paul?

pass1st
01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't forget

4. Pussy
5. Jesus

6. Learning how to read
7. Getting Kobe's autograph

rayjayjohnson
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I only found out recently Dwight is a god-botherer. Takes a bit off the shine of imo

ogait
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
You missed the point.

I didn't miss any point. The article talks about Dwight walking at the end of his contract to which the OP said he wouldn't agree. Now, seeing as that would be the same situation Lebron had when he left Cleveland and given the OP team affiliation I asked him if he had the same opinion on both cases.

ogait
01-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Not directed at you DMC, more the general public - why has it taken almost 2 years for people to accept that Bron was (The Decision aside) much more professional than Carmelo and Chris Paul?

Sure, you can make that claim, but in the end what matter is:

Who got better deals, Cleveland with that "much more professional attitude from James" or Denver and NO given how much they got back from those respective trades?

rayjayjohnson
01-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I get what you're saying, but for Bron as a person, he had no responsibility to give cleveland shit

JamStone
01-21-2012, 04:31 PM

LeBron handled himself fine during the season. But when he officially became a free agent after the season was over, he made an asshat spectacle of himself. That's what people criticize, not how he handled himself during the season compared to players who demand a trade.

rayjayjohnson
01-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I suppose. I'm glad to see what I perceive as the hate subsiding a little bit now. It's almost like people viewed losing to the Mavs as penance for his insolence.

DMC
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Skewed comparison.

Plus the point about endorsments. Superstars make far more then their salary off deals. Granted, DHoward is not a ss yet. But in a Brooklyn-NY area market....plus if he could get help to take them to a finals, just getting there let alone winning one....his endorsments would go thru the roof. Far surpassing the 30 (or is it 10) deficit.
It's not skewed. It's the same percentage. 30 million is a shitload of money, even for millionaires. The differences could completely make the Dwight Howard Foundation.

As for endorsements, it seems players get paid first, then fail to meet expectations later. Lebron got 90 million from Nike as a rookie, and though he's still a huge endorsement draw, he's no MJ. Players don't seem to get endorsement boosts that significant after their first fews years in the league these days. Maybe Howard would, but it could work against him as well meaning he could have a bad year and lose endorsements. All it takes is one club shooting.

DMC
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Sure, you can make that claim, but in the end what matter is:

Who got better deals, Cleveland with that "much more professional attitude from James" or Denver and NO given how much they got back from those respective trades?
No, according to this thread, what matters is how players dealt with the teams they were currently on, not how they handled themselves in the free agency or how their teams made out.

If Paul and Carmelo discussed things with their teams and decided to move, that's professional. If they just flexed their superstar muscle and demanded to go somewhere else, part of that is called leverage and part of that is called being immature. Eventually for the team it's about money, but the player may have a few different motivations other than money.

I thought the Billups deal was the shittiest, when he said other teams better not bid on him, as if he's bigger than the game itself. Fuck him.

Thomas82
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Howards Priorities
1. Ring
2. Fame
3. Cash

True, but not necessarily in that order.

Thomas82
01-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Check out this article.....it's on point:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-01-19/sports/os-bianchi-lakers-0120-20120119_1_los-angeles-lakers-shaq-big-man

I even remember the Lakers trying to steal David Robinson from us to replace Kareem when he retired.

m>s
01-21-2012, 06:55 PM
i'd want a shorter deal if i were DH tbh. USD is losing value so quickly i'd rather stall on options at this point of time instead of engaging myself to a long MF'N contract tbh

dunkman
01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Luva, 'Seppe and Kool neither honor their bets.
I see a trend there . . .

pass1st
01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
True, but not necessarily in that order.

2 & 3 may be interchangeable, but he wants a ring more than anything right now. I mean, it's in his freaking twitter headline and he stated multiple times that's what he wants most.