01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Just quit. You suck.

Or somebody fire him.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Fuck Pop, he needs to retire

Cry Havoc
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Splitter 11-13 for 25 points and 10 rebounds...

On the court for 2 more whole minutes than Bonner.

Cry Havoc
Bonner 3-10 from downtown.

Cry Havoc
Omg 4-11!

Nathan89
01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Pop came with a brilliant starting line-up in both the first half and second. He gave timely breaks to players that needed some rest. He has to be one of the best coaches in the league.

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Today, Blair was more of a problem than Bonner

Hooks
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Patterson: 6-7 from the field in 28 mins. with 5 rebounds

Pop had RJ guarding him which is why he went off :lmao

Oh and Bonner 33 mins :lmao :lmao :lmao

Texas_Ranger
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Not just today. He needs to go. He's small, fat and stupid.

Nathan89
01-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Both of which he started ahead of Tiago.

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Not just today. He needs to go. He's small, fat and stupid.

agree 100%

pawe
Hope bonner can string a few good games so his value goes up and he can be traded for someone who will actually help the team.

ElNono

Bonner was actually 2 more minutes than Tiago out there... but I thought Matty didn't suck as bad tonight. Blair though... that's 20 mins of nothing right there

timtonymanu
01-21-2012, 10:27 PM
lol Splitter is so much better than both these guys and he can't crack the starting lineup.

We started the game down 9 to nothing and only lost by 3. Having Splitter in there could have set the tone early.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2012, 10:33 PM
splitter>>>>>bonner>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rj+blair

Proxy
01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Fire him? Don't forget that there was no Manu, TJ, or TD... with 4 games in 5 nights...

Splitter does need more playing time though. 25 and 10... I don't understand him not playing if Timmy can play PF or C.

Bonner and Blair are specialty players for select situations. Please, come out of retirement, Dice.

DesignatedT
01-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Bonner was fine *tonight*. Doesn't always happen that way but Blair was just awful tonight.

The inconsistency between Bonner and Blair is just horrible. Both need to go tbh. Along with RJ and I'm not sure I like Green getting all these minutes tbh.

Nathan89
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Fire him?

Yes. That's what I said.

timtonymanu
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Bonner was fine *tonight*. Doesn't always happen that way but Blair was just awful tonight.

The inconsistency between Bonner and Blair is just horrible. Both need to go tbh. Along with RJ and I'm not sure I like Green getting all these minutes tbh.

It sucks that Anderson is shitting the bed right now. I like Green but he has a tendency to make Blair-like mistakes.

Bonner-Blair-and RJ were all terrible last year and we didn't dispose one of them. In fact, we rewarded them with starters spot. The new Bonner-Finley-Bogans trio.

therealtruth
01-21-2012, 10:42 PM
lol Splitter is so much better than both these guys and he can't crack the starting lineup.

We started the game down 9 to nothing and only lost by 3. Having Splitter in there could have set the tone early.

Exactly Pop doesn't listen to reason or common sense. Splitter is making him look pretty ridiculous right now. 0/29 NBA coaches would start Bonner and Blair over Splitter. Pop's mind games have gone too far.

Obstructed_View
01-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Watching Pop waste what's probably the deepest Spurs team I can remember is really frustrating.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2012, 10:47 PM
the 4 games we loss by close margin or blowing out leads, those games were all winnable untill he fcked up with stupid rotations out there on the floor, or not giving a fck, or bluffing with the mercy card with the bench only to fail back in his face...

imo he should just resign, we should go out get sloan or bring in someone new

this org needs fkn change....

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Bonner-Blair-and RJ were all terrible last year and we didn't dispose one of them. In fact, we rewarded them with starters spot. The new Bonner-Finley-Bogans trio.

Spurs had a chance to let those 3 go but they opted to re-sign Bonner and Jefferson to A LOT of money. And if I'm not wrong Blair deal isn't guaranteed.

Pop talks about go back to defense but play guys that are terrible on D

Cry Havoc
01-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Bonner was actually 2 more minutes than Tiago out there... but I thought Matty didn't suck as bad tonight. Blair though... that's 20 mins of nothing right there

If Blair's nothing involves getting more rebounds than Bonner in 10 less minutes, I question what "nothing" is to Spurs fans. AT LEAST Blair pulls down boards. That's SOMETHING. Bonner gives us NOTHING.

WeNeedLength
01-21-2012, 11:06 PM
If Blair's nothing involves getting more rebounds than Bonner in 10 less minutes, I question what "nothing" is to Spurs fans. AT LEAST Blair pulls down boards. That's SOMETHING. Bonner gives us NOTHING.

Blair sucks. Bonner sucks just a little bit more.

But, they both fucking suck and have no reason getting so many minutes on a good team...

Cry Havoc
01-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Blair sucks. Bonner sucks just a little bit more.

But, they both fucking suck and have no reason getting so many minutes on a good team...

Difference being that Blair will have great games at times. Bonner has had what, ONE decent game this season?

Also, when Blair plays bad, his PT goes down. When Bonner shits the bed, Pop plays him MORE. What the fuck.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Blair has higher upside to succeed, but he's also much more likely to hurt the team with bad turnovers and atrocious shot selection..

Bonner just misses shots..

They are both historically bad defensive players, and Blair can't rebound anymore, so that's no longer an advantage in his favor..

I'd rather have Bonner on the floor, but I pray to Tebow that the Spurs can find a way to land a decent 3rd big..somehow..I don't mind one of Blair/Bonner as the 4th big, getting 5-10 minutes per game, but neither of them are suited to play the 3rd big role, let alone the 2nd big role..

Cry Havoc
01-21-2012, 11:28 PM
atrocious shot selection..

If Bonner is shooting 30% every game, he has atrocious shot selection no matter where/when he's shooting. And that's been the case lately. Missing 3s is a lot worse than missing bunnies because it gives the other team long rebounds and transition points.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I agree, but at least he's taking open shots that are created by teammates..

Blair constantly forces 1 on 1 shots..

Cane
01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Blair has higher upside to succeed, but he's also much more likely to hurt the team with bad turnovers and atrocious shot selection..

They are both historically bad defensive players, and Blair can't rebound anymore, so that's no longer an advantage in his favor..

I'd rather have Bonner on the floor, but I pray to Tebow that the Spurs can find a way to land a decent 3rd big..somehow..I don't mind one of Blair/Bonner as the 4th big, getting 5-10 minutes per game, but neither of them are suited to play the 3rd big role, let alone the 2nd big role..

Indeed. Spurs needs more shot alterering in the paint.

If Bonner is shooting 30% every game, he has atrocious shot selection no matter where/when he's shooting. And that's been the case lately. Missing 3s is a lot worse than missing bunnies because it gives the other team long rebounds and transition points.

True but just having Bonner on the court, as painful as it is, opens up the floor for the rest of the team.

But without Ginobili that floor spacing almost doesn't even matter. He's got the much needed versatility and energy to get a good offensive flow going for the Spurs...and without both Manu and TJ Ford....its going to be like the Grizz series all over again where opponents hound Parker into making bad decisions since he's the only one with handles

SenorSpur
01-21-2012, 11:53 PM

That stat line and performance that Splitter threw out tonight versus the Rockets, was the ultimate "fuck you" to the head coach.

Case closed. No questions asked.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 12:17 AM

spot on, tbh

Sean Cagney
01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
The fact we are arguing over Bonner and Blair as a key to our rotation makes me laugh my azz off and cry at the damn same time :(

ElNono
01-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Uh? They both had the same amount of rebounds. Sure, Blair played half the minutes, but that's entirely his fault. He got 3 shots blocked and because he's DUMB, he ended up getting in foul trouble with ticky tacky fouls.

Plus if you actually watched the game, Matty surprisingly put a decent outing defensively and actually scored the ball well despite the poor shooting percentage.... Awful doesn't even begin to describe DeJuan today.

It was just a game. I suspect the odds of Matt being passable on defense in the foreseeable future are fairly low.

SA210
01-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Just quit. You suck.

Or somebody fire him.

DMC
01-22-2012, 12:26 AM
It's what it is. A group of scrubs surrounding a retiring legend, a fairly decent shoot first PG and an always injured international star. Tiago is the wildcard, but he's not potent enough to make up for the shortcomings we have everywhere else.

It looks good sometimes, and you would think it could be really good, but these scrubs have a tendency of falling back to the mean and that kills us. The killer mostly is that our retiring legend is making max salary.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
I am not sure Pop cares to coach a 3rd big. He'd rather have his system guys. He's been so reluctant to use Splitter.

DMC
01-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Pop was gifted Robinson and Duncan. They are the reasons the Spurs have any rings. Surely Pop knows that you have to have a solid presence in the paint to win rings.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 12:29 AM
It's what it is. A group of scrubs surrounding a retiring legend, a fairly decent shoot first PG and an always injured international star. Tiago is the wildcard, but he's not potent enough to make up for the shortcomings we have everywhere else.

It looks good sometimes, and you would think it could be really good, but these scrubs have a tendency of falling back to the mean and that kills us. The killer mostly is that our retiring legend is making max salary.

I don't disagree, but it's hard to be called the wildcard if you don't get the minutes to prove you might be that.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 12:33 AM
If Pop is going to have stupid rotations he may as well tank the season and develop the young talent.

xmas1997
01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
If Pop is going to have stupid rotations he may as well tank the season and develop the young talent.

Which is exactly what I think CIA Pop is doing!

xmas1997
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM

Which is exactly what I think CIA Pop is doing!
You don't think Pop and the FO knows this is a particularly loaded draft for bigs especially in the lottery?

Blake
01-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Watching Pop waste what's probably the deepest Spurs team I can remember is really frustrating.

deepest Spurs team ever?

with as many people that hate Bonner and RJ and our obviously lack of bigs, I'm not sure anyone would agree. :lol

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 01:44 AM
deepest Spurs team ever?

with as many people that hate Bonner and RJ and our obviously lack of bigs, I'm not sure anyone would agree. :lol

The Spurs came into the season with just about an entire roster full of guys who could contribute in their minutes. There are no Mengke Bateers or Jackie Butlers on this team. The composition of the team is a failure of Pop and the front office, but it's irrelevant to the number of fresh bodies you could be throwing at this condensed schedule.

Blake
01-22-2012, 02:02 AM
The Spurs came into the season with just about an entire roster full of guys who could contribute in their minutes. There are no Mengke Bateers or Jackie Butlers on this team. The composition of the team is a failure of Pop and the front office, but it's irrelevant to the number of fresh bodies you could be throwing at this condensed schedule.

James Anderson has that Jackie Butler look, imo.

Plenty of years that have deeper, more solid rosters, imo.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Plenty of teams had more talent in their top 8. This season more than all the others requires bodies to give minutes to, and this team is as able to do that as any in a long time. That they aren't is just another failure. Exhibit A: Parker's minutes the last two games.

mingus
01-22-2012, 02:57 AM
If he would've gotten over himself last year, we could have done more damage in the playoffs. He's clearly talented and it's a shame he lets his ego get in the way. He should be playing 30 mpg, but he has sill not worked hard enough on fixing his ego.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Plenty of teams had more talent in their top 8. This season more than all the others requires bodies to give minutes to, and this team is as able to do that as any in a long time. That they aren't is just another failure. Exhibit A: Parker's minutes the last two games.

Sometimes your hate for Pop really clouds your common sense imo. With Ginoboli, and Ford's injuries, Parker is the only playmaker left, so of course his minutes are going to go up. Neal has proven, in a very short amount of time, that he can't run the offense, much less break down a defense, and given Joseph's status as a raw, 3rd string pg, I not suprised by his erratic minutes, and lack of contributions so far. I hope that Parker doesn't break down with his playing too many minutes, but right now, hes the only playmaking option.

Spursfanfromafar
01-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Pop may be the best coach in the league based on past performances.

But this season - both as overall president of basketball operations and as a coach, he has been a dud so far.

1) The Antonio McDyess contract and how the Spurs handled it was a head scratcher to say the least.

2) The fact that the Spurs could snag only one half decent NBA player in TJ Ford was another.

3) Kawhi was a good addition, but we surely could have got more than just a first round pick for George Hill.

4) His coaching has taken a nose dive from being a Coach unto himself - a defense first discipline first coach - to a Don Nelson duplicate as Timvp points out. His handling of Tiago Splitter has tested the patience of even Pop's hardened supporters.

5) Tim Duncan deserves better in the final stages of his career. Agreed that it is difficult to do the best in the small market, but Pop (and his subordinates in the FO) has underplayed his hand and has been under par as coach.

Capt Bringdown
01-22-2012, 03:35 AM
That stat line and performance that Splitter threw out tonight versus the Rockets, was the ultimate "fuck you" to the head coach.

Case closed. No questions asked.

So many people saw Splitter's potential last year. Pop put a lid on it.
Ditto for this year.
What kind of a coach does this?

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:56 AM
So many people saw Splitter's potential last year. Pop put a lid on it.
Ditto for this year.
What kind of a coach does this?

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Sometimes your hate for Pop really clouds your common sense imo. With Ginoboli, and Ford's injuries, Parker is the only playmaker left, so of course his minutes are going to go up. Neal has proven, in a very short amount of time, that he can't run the offense, much less break down a defense, and given Joseph's status as a raw, 3rd string pg, I not suprised by his erratic minutes, and lack of contributions so far. I hope that Parker doesn't break down with his playing too many minutes, but right now, hes the only playmaking option.

Tiago Splitter says hi. And Tim Duncan says hi from behind the bench in a suit. If you've got injuries, why are you resting players when you won't give minutes to their backups? Wouldn't it make sense to play Duncan 10 more minutes and Parker 10 less minutes so you can get Joseph up to speed as well?

It's not hate for Pop, it's hate for stupid strategies that make no fucking sense. The Spurs are going to be sacrificing players to win games starting about now because of these retarded decisions, and then they're going to end up in the bottom half of the playoffs with a banged up, tired team and several young guys that never see the floor. Guess how that turns out.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2012, 08:54 AM
pop can go eat a dick

thats 4 games kings, rockets, heat, bucks << those 4 games were all supposed to be winnable the way we played but he fcked up with the rotations

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Tiago Splitter says hi. And Tim Duncan says hi from behind the bench in a suit. If you've got injuries, why are you resting players when you won't give minutes to their backups? Wouldn't it make sense to play Duncan 10 more minutes and Parker 10 less minutes so you can get Joseph up to speed as well?

It's not hate for Pop, it's hate for stupid strategies that make no fucking sense. The Spurs are going to be sacrificing players to win games starting about now because of these retarded decisions, and then they're going to end up in the bottom half of the playoffs with a banged up, tired team and several young guys that never see the floor. Guess how that turns out.

You misunderstood my reference to a playmaker, my fault. I meant a playmaking "guard", who has the ability to beat his man off the dribble, break down the defense, etc... Currently, Parker is the only one who has the ability to break down defenses.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
You misunderstood my reference to a playmaker, my fault. I meant a playmaking "guard", who has the ability to beat his man off the dribble, break down the defense, etc... Currently, Parker is the only one who has the ability to break down defenses.

I would add that RJ should be another guy from the perimeter that has that ability (penetrate, get to the basket, break down the defense), if he wouldn't have mailed it in a dozen games into the season.

It's actually depressing how pretty much everybody already got used to RJ the one dimensional shooter.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I would add that RJ should be another guy from the perimeter that has that ability (penetrate, get to the basket, break down the defense), if he wouldn't have mailed it in a dozen games into the season.

It's actually depressing how pretty much everybody already got used to RJ the one dimensional shooter.

Its actually the weirdest shit I've seen out of a player in awhile. Its like RJ lost all of his athleticism and be became old, once he signed here. No gradual decline, just instantly a tosb, with no competitive fire, nothing.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Its actually the weirdest shit I've seen out of a player in awhile. Its like RJ lost all of his athleticism and be became old, once he signed here. No gradual decline, just instantly a tosb, with no competitive fire, nothing.

The trade never made sense. The Spurs should have been trading for a big. Then we wouldn't have the Blair/Bonner madness. Any number of guys could have filled the sf spot to provide defense and 3pt shooting.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 09:56 PM

Ah, I understand, and yes, that's very true. In my opinion, when you have Manu Ginobili out, you have to find some way not to beat the crap out of Parker for too many minutes. We know Joseph isn't ready to run the offense but he can hold his own on defense and learn as he goes if you have some way to generate offense. Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter are great playmakers in that kind of situation, and the two of them together can keep the other team from scoring in the paint with any kind of ease. There should be enough shooters to mix some 4 down in there and play some inside-out ball. Doesn't have to be the whole game, but enough to give Parker some rest and let Joseph get some floor time.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Ah, I understand, and yes, that's very true. In my opinion, when you have Manu Ginobili out, you have to find some way not to beat the crap out of Parker for too many minutes. We know Joseph isn't ready to run the offense but he can hold his own on defense and learn as he goes if you have some way to generate offense. Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter are great playmakers in that kind of situation, and the two of them together can keep the other team from scoring in the paint with any kind of ease. There should be enough shooters to mix some 4 down in there and play some inside-out ball. Doesn't have to be the whole game, but enough to give Parker some rest and let Joseph get some floor time.

The problem with Joseph getting extensive pt, if defenses won't play him for jumper, or lack there of, but I agree he needs to be out there, or someone so Pop won't wear Parker out.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
The problem with Joseph getting extensive pt, if defenses won't play him for jumper, or lack there of, but I agree he needs to be out there, or someone so Pop won't wear Parker out.

That could be an issue going forward. I'm certainly not saying that he's definitely an NBA player, but we kind of need to find out, and even if some people think we don't, the truth is he's all there is at the moment.

As for how defenses play him, there's probably not enough tape for people to try to exploit anything he does or doesn't do yet. Just watching him move around, he doesn't look lost and he isn't playing scared, which is an encouraging sign despite the terrible plus minus numbers that are associated with him. I'm happy to re-evaluate him once people key on him or trap him or force him one way, but right now he's just a placeholder on the second team while Parker gets some rest.

It's a bit of hyperbole, but I'd pretty much be okay if the Spurs just ran the clock down every possession while Parker's on the bench to maximize the amount of rest he gets since a rested healthy Parker is so important to the team. You pretty much need to have three point guards or just hope your main two are healthy once the playoffs roll around. PT for Joseph works toward either of those goals.

dunkman
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
While I think Pop made some mistakes, I doubt we can find another coach that will do a better job with the available talent. The big three is a big one and a half, since Manu and TJ are out RJ and Blair suck, Splitter is progressing, Leonard and Green are nice pickups. Neal is returning from a surgery. It's complicated.

I hope to see the roster complete and how it performs in playoffs. This roster looks very complete. The Spurs are going to reach the finals IMO. We have wing defenders, capable rebounders, defense in the middle, great shooters, a backup PG.

SpursRock20
01-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey glad to finally join this active Spurs fan forum!

In my opinion, Pop kinda has his hands tied behind his back with RJ and Blair. I think he feels that if he benches them, he will lose what little value they bring to the table. I feel that they are not mentally strong players, and will not be able to play an important role off of the bench.

That still does not explain why Bonner gets as much bench minutes as Tiago, however. Can't really jump the gun yet, though. Tiago just played a hell of a game and has had a day to rest. Let's see if he increases his minutes tomorrow night, and if he doesn't, then we can really jump his ass :lol.

GO SPURS GO!

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 11:40 PM
While I think Pop made some mistakes, I doubt we can find another coach that will do a better job with the available talent. The big three is a big one and a half, since Manu and TJ are out RJ and Blair suck, Splitter is progressing, Leonard and Green are nice pickups. Neal is returning from a surgery. It's complicated.

I hope to see the roster complete and how it performs in playoffs. This roster looks very complete. The Spurs are going to reach the finals IMO. We have wing defenders, capable rebounders, defense in the middle, great shooters, a backup PG.

Not unless Pop starts coaching better.

SequSpur
01-22-2012, 11:58 PM

In my opinion, Pop kinda has his hands tied behind his back with RJ and Blair. I think he feels that if he benches them, he will lose what little value they bring to the table. I feel that they are not mentally strong players, and will not be able to play an important role off of the bench.

That still does not explain why Bonner gets as much bench minutes as Tiago, however. Can't really jump the gun yet, though. Tiago just played a hell of a game and has had a day to rest. Let's see if he increases his minutes tomorrow night, and if he doesn't, then we can really jump his ass :lol.

GO SPURS GO!

RJ and Blair would start on almost every team in the NBA that's why. They are good professional ball players.

Bonner and Tiago don't play the same position. One is a 7 footer that shoots like a grandma, the other is 6 10 and plays like a wnba shooting guard...wtf?

SpursRock20
01-23-2012, 12:04 AM
RJ and Blair would start on almost every team in the NBA that's why. They are good professional ball players.

Bonner and Tiago don't play the same position. One is a 7 footer that shoots like a grandma, the other is 6 10 and plays like a wnba shooting guard...wtf?

I honestly don't see Blair starting on most NBA teams. A solid bench player but that's about it.

SequSpur
01-23-2012, 12:07 AM
I honestly don't see Blair starting on most NBA teams. A solid bench player but that's about it.

Did you watch him play in college? do you watch him play now? Did you watch him play in the two allstar events? He was the best player out there... i think you're wrong.

Sean Cagney
01-23-2012, 12:29 AM

GO SPURS GO!

Ehhhh no, they had chances to get rid of both, he did not want them gone! Hands tied? NO, he is just is a sucker for both and it still baffles most of us fans! He has no hands tied, this is his idiocy alone while we still have them and play them alot.. He has had years to see this, yet he doesn't...... BTW they bring no value to the table and have not for years IMO. They start out hot, then fade fast.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Uh? They both had the same amount of rebounds. Sure, Blair played half the minutes, but that's entirely his fault. He got 3 shots blocked and because he's DUMB, he ended up getting in foul trouble with ticky tacky fouls.

Plus if you actually watched the game, Matty surprisingly put a decent outing defensively and actually scored the ball well despite the poor shooting percentage.... Awful doesn't even begin to describe DeJuan today.

It was just a game. I suspect the odds of Matt being passable on defense in the foreseeable future are fairly low.

Blair is defenitely regressing at an alarming rate. Bonner at least keeping the status quo (by his standards). He still needs his minutes halved, though.