PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Rockets - Jan. 21

timvp
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
With Manu Ginobili's hand still mending and Pop deciding to give Tim Duncan the night off, the Spurs traveled to Houston to take on a Rockets team that had won five consecutive games. Despite a good effort from San Antonio, the Rockets made it six straight with a 105-102 victory.

The Spurs had another poor outing on the defensive end of the court, allowing the Rockets to shoot 55.7% from the floor. The Spurs were able to stay in the game thanks to a pair of great performances and by dominating the boards. I thought they showed a lot of mental toughness at the offensive end at times, however the Spurs must improve a defense that is one of the worst in the league.

Now at 10-7, the need to take care of business on Monday against the Hornets to avoid an early season free fall.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9565/boxjan21.jpg

Tony Parker A
Tony Parker was giving the Rockets fits. Even when all five of their players were keying on Parker, he'd find a way into the late to create offense for himself or a teammate. He made a number of really good passes and his overall relentlessness kept the Spurs in the ballgame. Defensively, I thought he was really solid for most of the night. Without the other two members of the Big Three, Parker put up a valiant fight.

Richard Jefferson D
In his first two years in San Antonio, Richard Jefferson often pointed out the fact that his inconsistent play was due to being the fourth or fifth option on offense. Yet tonight, in a game where Jefferson was usually the second option on the court, he was useless once again. On offense, he's now a jump shooter that doesn't contribute anything if his shots are off. That was no different tonight. Defensively, I saw a little bit more intensity out of him than usual but he was still average at best.

Kawhi Leonard C+
Effort-wise, I thought Kawhi Leonard was great. Early on, he looked a little tired but he got a second wind and really put up a good fight in his 39 minutes of play. His rebounding, particular on the offensive glass, was exquisite. That said, even though the effort was there, the overall execution was lacking. On offense, he passed up looks, missed a few easy attempts and struggled to get other shots off against Houston's athletes. On defense, he usually did a good job of staying connected and getting a hand up, but his man, usually Kevin Martin or Kyle Lowry, still scored quite a bit.

Matt Bonner B
I wouldn't call Matt Bonner a bright spot but he wasn't a reason for the loss. He came out firing; his aggression was a plus on offense, especially considering how timid most of the role players were being. Defensively, he mostly did good work; he was physical and moved his feet well. On the defensive glass, he surprisingly bullied Luis Scola for some rebounds.

DeJuan Blair F
Frustrating. DeJuan Blair's horrid shot selection and decision making overshadowed any positives he brought to the game. It was if Blair thought it was his job to turn into Duncan. Well, except that he wasn't doing anything on the defensive end of the court. Pop couldn't pull Blair fast enough tonight.

Tiago Splitter A+
Tiago Splitter was a straight up beast. The Rockets couldn't stop him on the low block. When paired with Parker, Splitter was fantastic in the pick-and-roll sets. His hands were great and he made very good passes. On defense, he was really good both in the paint and when forced to defend out on the perimeter. If I were to nitpick, I'd say the only possible negative was his lack of stamina, however that is due to him not playing this many minutes often enough. Let us hope with all of our collective might that Pop will begin to play him more from now.

Gary Neal B
Considering that Gary Neal has shot so poorly recently, hitting 5-of-7 attempts is definitely a good sign. (Although it should be noted that one of his two misses was a long three-pointer at the buzzer that could have tied the game.) Despite the hot shooting, Neal's decision making wasn't very good. His defense continues to inch forward but he has a long ways to go to become halfway decent defender.

Danny Green C-
For the first time this year, Danny Green just didn't seem to have any energy. He's usually all over the place but tonight he was relatively subdued. It also doesn't help matters that he's 0-for-10 on threes in the last three games; it looks like he's starting to hesitate a bit from deep. With Green experiencing his first struggles of the season, let's watch to see how he bounces back. Quality NBA players rebound quickly, while fringe players typically experience prolonged slumps.

Cory Joseph D
The problem with Cory Joseph these last two games isn't necessarily what he's doing wrong, it's more what he's not doing. Offensively, he's simply not getting the team into their sets. The offense is a disaster when he's on the court. To make matters worse, he's not penetrating and kicking or doing much of anything to force the defense to rotate even once. On defense, he's no longer applying the pressure he did in his first few games as the backup point guard. Honestly, Joseph appears to be in over his head. The Spurs only need him to be a placeholder but these last two games he hasn't even been that.

Pop D
Pop's evening starting off strange when he decided to rest Duncan. Resting Duncan in itself wasn't strange because he will need rest during this compressed schedule, but the timing didn't make much sense. If Pop was planning to rest Duncan, he should have played him more last night against the Kings. And when Pop rests Duncan, he has to start Splitter. The Spurs fell into an early 9-0 hole thanks largely to the frontline of Blair and Bonner that began the game. From then on, Pop didn't make any blatant errors … but the damage had already been done.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for another great writeup, LJ.

Let's see if our good fellow spursdotcom starts faxing these regularly to the FO. :lol

Cane
01-22-2012, 12:54 AM
While Parker had 24 points, it took 23 shots to get there, which isn't that great but his assists and overall effort was all star worthy. There were a few opportunities where he was slow to pass or completely shut out a teammate to take his own shot, but other than that it was a good game for Parker.

Splitter can definitely play, especially against undersized players like most of the Rockets bigs seem to be. I think he should average 25-33 minutes, which puts him in the same ballpark as Brazilians Nene and Varejao. Since the Spurs are undersized and lack shot alterers in the paint, Splitter has to work like Varejao and also set great screens, and has to shoulder the offense like Nene does too. And definitely should play more mins than Bonner, but then again Splitter probably does more work than any other Spur right now not named Tony Parker

Spurs are a very mediocre team when they don't have ball handlers/playmakers and basically rely on just TP for all the perimeter play, and even moreso with Duncan out and Bonner and Blair on the court together which will happen without trading or signing for another shot alterer in the paint

SenorSpur
01-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Pop D
Pop's evening starting off strange when he decided to rest Duncan. Resting Duncan in itself wasn't strange because he will need rest during this compressed schedule, but the timing didn't make much sense. If Pop was planning to rest Duncan, he should have played him more last night against the Kings. And when Pop rests Duncan, he has to start Splitter. The Spurs fell into an early 9-0 hole thanks largely to the frontline of Blair and Bonner that began the game. From then on, Pop didn't make any blatant errors … but the damage had already been done.
Another home-run writeup.

Some additional thoughts on Pop's coaching:

I didn't find it strange that he elected to rest Duncan on this night. In that case, I, too, thought Pop would've sold Duncan out during the Kings game, in an effort to try and win it. Then, imagine the surprise of seeing the first on-court debut of the "Turd Towers". It's been said before, but Blair and Bonner, on the court together, are an out-n-out disaster. You are correct - in a situation like this, Splitter must start. It's a no-brainer.

Even with Splitter's extended minutes and stellar production, it would not surprise me if Pop went back to playing him around 20 mins per game. I just have the feeling that coach will use the "fatigue" card, as an excuse against the Brazilian center.

Also, I really expected Pop to rest both Parker and Splitter at the end of quarters. Because those two players were really carrying the offense, I totally understand why he had to ride them both. It just seemed that he gave them both odd breaks at inopportune times.

I also wondered why Pop didn't dust off Malcolm Thomas, for a few minutes at the end of quarters, just to give Splitter a rest?

Ice009
01-22-2012, 01:05 AM
lol there is an article at the EN with a headline "Why duplicating the “Twin Towers” will be tough"

Try it out, if it fails because Tim and Tiago both like to play in the paint then go back to the gay way of playing, which is getting reamed on the defensive end by almost every NBA team.

Quote from Pop : “It’s hard to get him on the court any more than he is because he is playing a lot. There are only two bigs at a time, and sometimes only one because teams play small. He’s getting as much time as I can play him.”

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
lol back to 20 mpg

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
lol Tim Griffin already on the case spinning that ish

It’s tough for Duncan and Splitter to play at the same time because both favor playing in the paint. And it was clear that Duncan’s absence opened things up for Splitter.

You seldom see Splitter becoming the focal point of the Spurs’ offense when he plays with Duncan. They both are similar players who like the ball in the same place.

Nathan89
01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Pop D

Besides the fact that he chose to start Bonner and Blair in the 2nd half. Setting up the Tiago rest time to fall at a poor time in the game.

Libri
01-22-2012, 01:15 AM
DeJuan Blair F
Frustrating. DeJuan Blair's horrid shot selection and decision making overshadowed any positives he brought to the game. It was if Blair thought it was his job to turn into Duncan. Well, except that he wasn't doing anything on the defensive end of the court. Pop couldn't pull Blair fast enough tonight.

Dammit, he was one of my favorite players in his rookie season. Blair the beast is no more. :(

NASpurs
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
What a bunch of bullshit. Tim is now a jump shooting big man playing the high pick and pops with Tony. Maybe what they're saying is true back in 2003 or however long ago it was when Tim was effective in the low post but even that Duncan won a championship with Nazr freaking Mohammed. Robert Horry fucked us over in the long run as this magical long 4 that spreads the floor and plays defense in which Pop thinks Matt Bonner is Robert Horry apparently.

*edit* In reply to what ElNono posted.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Buck with a good writeup, might cost him his job:

Buck Harvey: Splitter earns time next to Duncan (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/)

Nathan89
01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
lol Tim Griffin already on the case spinning that ish

It’s tough for Duncan and Splitter to play at the same time because both favor playing in the paint. And it was clear that Duncan’s absence opened things up for Splitter.

You seldom see Splitter becoming the focal point of the Spurs’ offense when he plays with Duncan. They both are similar players who like the ball in the same place.

That's all a load of bullshit. The majority of Tim's shots are jumpers. A good paint player would be quite welcomed next to Tim. Also Tiago could do a lot of the screens while playing with Tim. Taking some of the burden of him.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Pop gets an F, IMO. His decision not to foul with 30+ seconds on the clock and down 2 possessions was really bad. He's smart enough to recognize how getting an extra possession at the end of quarters with fouls but he completely ignores the same concept at the end of the game? You should be trying to extend the game as long as possible when you are behind and you definitely should not be letting Houston run off 3/4ths of the clock. Those seconds are FAR more valuable than the stop.

DMC
01-22-2012, 01:21 AM
I think Tim hurt his knee against the Kings. Surprised we've not hurt anything about it.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2012, 01:23 AM
If Pop won't play Splitter and Duncan together then we have no hope. If this version of Pop had coached the Spurs in 99, Drob would have come off the fucking bench.

Cane
01-22-2012, 01:24 AM
I think Tim hurt his knee against the Kings. Surprised we've not hurt anything about it.

I think he hurt his knee against the Magic as well, looked like he hobbled for a bit and pointed to the brace. But like what Antonio McDyess did last season, Duncan just soldiered on

Nathan89
01-22-2012, 01:25 AM

Buck Harvey: Splitter earns time next to Duncan (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/)

“It’s hard to get him on the court any more than he is because he is playing a lot. There are only two bigs at a time, and sometimes only one because teams play small. He’s getting as much time as I can play him.”

:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm starting to get really nervous about this season.

We could be on the brink of having a very very bad record if overall play does not improve.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Perry Jones, bitches!

acoelho1
01-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Didn't see the game but 25pts for Splitter. He must have been a beast tonight.

Nathan89
01-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Didn't see the game but 25pts for Splitter. He must have been a beast tonight.

He happened to play more minutes tonight as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Great writeup, thanks timvp. :tu

Not starting Splitter was inexplicable.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2012, 02:11 AM
What a bunch of bullshit. Tim is now a jump shooting big man playing the high pick and pops with Tony. Maybe what they're saying is true back in 2003 or however long ago it was when Tim was effective in the low post...

That would be until some time in 2009... but the emboldened bit is spot on.

That's all a load of bullshit. The majority of Tim's shots are jumpers. A good paint player would be quite welcomed next to Tim. Also Tiago could do a lot of the screens while playing with Tim. Taking some of the burden of him.

And that's true too.

If Pop won't play Splitter and Duncan together then we have no hope. If this version of Pop had coached the Spurs in 99, Drob would have come off the fucking bench.

I don't think we have much hope either way, but playing Splitter would seem to give us more hope than not playing him, despite what the stats say (re. timvp's article).

dylankerouac
01-22-2012, 02:25 AM
With the team knowing Duncan would not be playing during this game seeing no playing time for Malcolm Thomas was disappointing. We were behind or it was a close throughout the game but if Pop was already taking a gamble by not playing Duncan then why not let Thomas benefit from the decision? It's not like it's any easier when Duncan gets his minutes.

I think the defensive ceiling for this current roster has showed what it is capable of. Pop needs to get over himself and reevaluate his options for lineups.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Agreed. At some point you need to integrate your players and trust that they're going to meld into a unit and go on a run to get you into the playoff race, even if it costs you a bit in the standings to start out. If we're all harping on the depth issue, it's because it's biggest need with all these games crammed together and no training camp.

callo1
01-22-2012, 02:46 AM
I agree with the D for Pop.

Parker had an A+ until he came down and took that insane three point shot while there wasn't a Spur under the basket to rebound, for that he gets a fat F...average his grade out and he gets a kind B.

Tiago hopefully has finally silenced his critics and has proven that he belongs not only as a starter, but as the Spurs number one low post option, even, yes even, when Tim is on the floor. <<Insert criticism here>> That is fine, I don't have to defend Tiago anymore, he does it all by himself.

Nothing but the utmost respect for TD, but like Dave did for him when he arrived, it is time for Timmy to step aside and save his legs for defense, and let Tiago take over down low. If Pop is willing do allow this (I honestly know Tim is), then the Spurs defense improves, and we have more consistent/dynamic low post scoring.

I know I will catch hell for the aforementioned statement, but so be it.

Father Time has found TD, as he finds the best of the best. Father Time cares not who you once were, nor does he care how much money you have...he simply, slowly and methodically creeps up upon you and overtakes you.

Tim will continue to be capable, and may even deliver a 30 point game here and there, but nobody can evade Father Time. Experience is a wonderful tool to have, and TD has it in spades, but experience matters not when your mind knows what to do, but your body fails to cooperate...just ask the Boston Celtics.

Tonight was a great night. I am more excited with this loss than I have been with any one single win thus far this year. Tonight Tiago made Pop look truly foolish, like many of us here on Spurstalk had been eluding to for weeks. Tonight was a turning point of sorts... a changing of the guard.

If Pop allows his intelligence to override his stubborness, then tonight the old dusty maps which date back to circa 1999 will be removed from Pop's desk, and a new map will be made. Pop will make proper course corrections, and have them marked clearly on his new map. The captain will call out to the boatswain to pull up anchor and orders will be given the helmsman to head out of port with those new course headings.

With roles redefined, a healthy Manu, TJ back (playing well), and Tony continuing to evolve as a distributer, the future looks bright...maybe not so bright that we have to wear shades, but still bright nonetheless.

If Tiago saves Tim's legs, and we get a stroke of luck health wise, the final chapter to this season may yield an unexpected plot twist.

Viva la Spurs!! :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :flag:

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Duncan's been dying for defensive help since Rasho and Nazr left. Oberto, and to a much lesser extent, Horry were decent, but the lack of help defensively has likely worn down Duncan as much as anything over the last four or five years.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2012, 02:53 AM
tim duncan is a fkn scrub if he/coach think he cant play with splitter or someone downlow...duncan is nothing more then a jumpshooting clown out 18ft and hits it with a very high efficiency on those open shots....

if he cant play with splitter, splitter should demand a trade for playin with shit around him

callo1
01-22-2012, 03:02 AM
With the team knowing Duncan would not be playing during this game seeing no playing time for Malcolm Thomas was disappointing. We were behind or it was a close throughout the game but if Pop was already taking a gamble by not playing Duncan then why not let Thomas benefit from the decision? It's not like it's any easier when Duncan gets his minutes.

I think the defensive ceiling for this current roster has showed what it is capable of. Pop needs to get over himself and reevaluate his options for lineups.

I agree 100%, especially when Blair was struggling. At least Thomas may have erased some of those Rocket layups.

crc21209
01-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Where the hell did RJ's shot go? The guy couldnt miss the first few weeks of the season. And now the past 4 games his shot has been M.I.A.....wtf??!?!?

callo1
01-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Duncan's been dying for defensive help since Rasho and Nazr left. Oberto, and to a much lesser extent, Horry were decent, but the lack of help defensively has likely worn down Duncan as much as anything over the last four or five years.

Agreed. Rasho was the last solid defender that played next to Tim, with Horry being right there.

All of the playoff games, and the miles have taken their toll. TD is a luxury to have as a second option down low, but we can't expect him to carry the load anymore.

To me, when I look back on it, that '05 run was the hardest on Timmy...the scars on his arms from the brutal pounding of the Sonics series, the injured ankles. That was a hard physical pounding for anyone to take.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 03:09 AM
I agree with the D for Pop.

Parker had an A+ until he came down and took that insane three point shot while there wasn't a Spur under the basket to rebound, for that he gets a fat F...average his grade out and he gets a kind B.

Tiago hopefully has finally silenced his critics and has proven that he belongs not only as a starter, but as the Spurs number one low post option, even, yes even, when Tim is on the floor. <<Insert criticism here>> That is fine, I don't have to defend Tiago anymore, he does it all by himself.

Nothing but the utmost respect for TD, but like Dave did for him when he arrived, it is time for Timmy to step aside and save his legs for defense, and let Tiago take over down low. If Pop is willing do allow this (I honestly know Tim is), then the Spurs defense improves, and we have more consistent/dynamic low post scoring.

I know I will catch hell for the aforementioned statement, but so be it.

Father Time has found TD, as he finds the best of the best. Father Time cares not who you once were, nor does he care how much money you have...he simply, slowly and methodically creeps up upon you and overtakes you.

Tim will continue to be capable, and may even deliver a 30 point game here and there, but nobody can evade Father Time. Experience is a wonderful tool to have, and TD has it in spades, but experience matters not when your mind knows what to do, but your body fails to cooperate...just ask the Boston Celtics.

Tonight was a great night. I am more excited with this loss than I have been with any one single win thus far this year. Tonight Tiago made Pop look truly foolish, like many of us here on Spurstalk had been eluding to for weeks. Tonight was a turning point of sorts... a changing of the guard.

If Pop allows his intelligence to override his stubborness, then tonight the old dusty maps which date back to circa 1999 will be removed from Pop's desk, and a new map will be made. Pop will make proper course corrections, and have them marked clearly on his new map. The captain will call out to the boatswain to pull up anchor and orders will be given the helmsman to head out of port with those new course headings.

With roles redefined, a healthy Manu, TJ back (playing well), and Tony continuing to evolve as a distributer, the future looks bright...maybe not so bright that we have to wear shades, but still bright nonetheless.

If Tiago saves Tim's legs, and we get a stroke of luck health wise, the final chapter to this season may yield an unexpected plot twist.

Viva la Spurs!! :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :flag:

You make perfect sense. Splitter would make it easier for TD on offense and defense.

On defense TD can spend more effort on help defense and rebounding.

On offense if Splitter can draw attention on the block it will make it easier for TD. With TD's decline we haven't had a player that can draw that double team in the post. If Splitter can do that it can really open up the offense.

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:15 AM

No doubt he's about to get black listed, unless the other reporters start backing him up

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:16 AM

Exactly! Pop's just a damn liar

callo1
01-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Praise for Buck with that article. He still played it safe, but he hit the mark.

The question then comes down to the second unit. If TD and Tiago play together as they should * (A little high-low action please), then you have a situation where Bonner and or Blair is your second team big...not a friendly thought, which is why I would have liked to at least seen Thomas on the floor when Blair was struggling.

The only way I can see having a decent second team is a) put Manu back on the bench and he can help Dejuan score, or b) try to pull the trigger on a trade that dumps Blair, Bonner, and Anderson for a capable second team big.

We all saw Blair's struggles coming. Manu makes Blair a much better player than he can ever be alone.

I don't see any teams rushing in to make a trade for those assets though.

I don't really see any alternative. If we have to settle for the players on the roster now, then Manu must go back to the bench and be our smallball quarterback

01-22-2012, 03:52 AM
i'm actually kind of worried about parker. he's going to be completely burned out by the time ford and manu come back. if pop wants to rest a player, it shouldn't be duncan, it should be parker. duncan barely averages over 25 minutes a game while parker is carrying the entire offense.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 04:00 AM
i'm actually kind of worried about parker. he's going to be completely burned out by the time ford and manu come back. if pop wants to rest a player, it shouldn't be duncan, it should be parker. duncan barely averages over 25 minutes a game while parker is carrying the entire offense.

Very valid concern. Pop still wants to win, thats why he won't rest Parker, until Manu and TJ get back. If he rested Parker now, it would really get ugly

analyzed
01-22-2012, 05:09 AM
To the FO credit, they certainly have added good young talent with the following players Tiago, Neal ,Green and Kawhi. To be able to get 4 impact players who from the looks of it will have long term NBA careers and are potential starters. and Using 2 low draft picks (Pick for Hill was used to get kawhi, while Neal & Green are undrafted) is impressive.

If you compare this with what the Celtics have assembled around their big 3, you have to be impressed with what we have done, considering how low our picks in the draft have been.

BTW I really like the Hill trade move of trading up using your young talent. I'm sure we can use Blair and Anderson to trade up. Teams in the middle of the lottery like Indiana in the last draft can be enticed to take Blair and/or Anderson

Xevious
01-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I am now fully on board with the Duncan / Splitter starting combo. Not because Splitter beasted tonight.... because Blair is a retard. Before I'd argue that Blair and Bonner could not play together. They still can't, but Pop needs to pull Blair from the starting five asap. He isn't defending, he's a black hole on offense, and (worst of all) he isn't rebounding anymore. Its frustrating as hell. He has natural ability despite his size, but he's too dumb to understand his limitations.

quentin_compson
01-22-2012, 07:08 AM
One play pretty much sums up RJ for me: it was at about the 7 minute mark in the fourth, Dragic (?) shoots an airball, and RJ is not able to box out Patterson and get the ball despite having the much better position initially.
I'm not mad at him for shooting bad. He had games where he was 5-7 from downtown earlier in the season, so a couple of bad shooting games are to be expected sooner or later. But that he doesn't show the energy and the heart to have more of an impact in a game in which Manu and TD are out - that is just disappointing.

urunobili
01-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Green was trash too. I wonder if his poor play STILL doesnt provide JA a chance...

Danny.Zhu
01-22-2012, 08:44 AM

:depressed

Josepatches_
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm starting to get really nervous about this season.

Me too.

I believe we have a team good enough to compete in the West.
Ford,Green and Leonard could help the team and we have Splitter. James Anderson doesn't look bad either.

But we have to start with Bonner,Blair and RJ.... :depressed

I'm nervous because we have a good team but we are going to waste what could be our last chance

Josepatches_
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Praise for Buck with that article. He still played it safe, but he hit the mark.

The question then comes down to the second unit. If TD and Tiago play together as they should * (A little high-low action please), then you have a situation where Bonner and or Blair is your second team big...not a friendly thought, which is why I would have liked to at least seen Thomas on the floor when Blair was struggling.

You don't have to sit Splitter and TD at the same time .In Miami Bron or Wade were always on the court. Here we can't do the same with an aging TD but we can limit the minutes of the turd towers playing together.

And we usually play minutes with the combo Bonner/Blair now.They were starters yesterday. It's not like they never play together and they should play together because Splitter starts.

nbaman99
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Interesting article about Splitter . Everyone sees the same thing I guess, except Pop

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker are three names that immediately come to mind when thinking of the San Antonio Spurs impact players. However, the player that could play the most important role for the Spurs this season is Tiago Splitter, a second year player from Brazil.
http://www.rantsports.com/san-antonio-spurs/2012/01/21/san-antonio-spurs-x-factor-tiago-splitter/

widowmaker
01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Green was trash too. I wonder if his poor play STILL doesnt provide JA a chance...

JA? Really? Lol. Green has played way better so far the only thing u can say about green at this point is that he's inconsistant with his play. JA on the other hand is very consistent at playing like crap lol

Stalin
01-22-2012, 03:08 PM
where's bill brasky to dispute blair as being part of the one two punch of san antonios Turd Towers

TJastal
01-23-2012, 07:15 AM
You don't have to sit Splitter and TD at the same time .In Miami Bron or Wade were always on the court. Here we can't do the same with an aging TD but we can limit the minutes of the turd towers playing together.

And we usually play minutes with the combo Bonner/Blair now.They were starters yesterday. It's not like they never play together and they should play together because Splitter starts.

That is a really eff'd up situation going on right now with the media jabs and how Pop seemingly will not start Tiago in order to "spread the manure" and hide the deficiencies of the turd towers yet they get the starting jobs ahead Tiago.

Pop is such a buffoon.

OZspurs
01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
do like to see JA get some mts to play in this month, specially down the road some games

maverick1948
01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
So many people saying we cant play Blair and Bonner combination. Well, after the Houston game, I think we could see something come out of that the will work. Play Bonner and Splitter together. Bonner spreads the court, while Splitter works underneath. It seem to work better than Blair and Bonner or Splitter and Blair. If you recorded the game(like I do), play back the time Splitter and Bonner are on the court together and watch the ball movement. Bonner hit a 3 early and that made a huge difference in the game. This made the Rocket come out to cover him. Splitter then had his way in the paint. Rockets had no one who could handle Splitter. If Duncan would ease out to the 15 to 18 ft mark and let Tiago have the middle, the bank would be open for Timmy and the outside shot he has would be there as well.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
So many people saying we cant play Blair and Bonner combination. Well, after the Houston game, I think we could see something come out of that the will work. Play Bonner and Splitter together. Bonner spreads the court, while Splitter works underneath. It seem to work better than Blair and Bonner or Splitter and Blair. If you recorded the game(like I do), play back the time Splitter and Bonner are on the court together and watch the ball movement. Bonner hit a 3 early and that made a huge difference in the game. This made the Rocket come out to cover him. Splitter then had his way in the paint. Rockets had no one who could handle Splitter. If Duncan would ease out to the 15 to 18 ft mark and let Tiago have the middle, the bank would be open for Timmy and the outside shot he has would be there as well.

Timvp posted the hard stats to back this claim up few days ago. Splitter/Bonner indeed works well. I just wish the spurs would acquire themselves a big with range who has a more well rounded game (Richards?).

Maybe the Orlando magic will trade us Ryan Anderson in the end of the season firesale that most likely will happen once Howard bolts. Man, what I wouldn't give to see a Splitter & Anderson frontcourt. :chestbump