PDA

View Full Version : Pop: "Splitter's getting as much time as I can play him."

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
In Buck Harvey's article (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/), Pop blew my mind with this quote:
Asked if Splitter needed to be on the court more, Popovich shrugged. “It’s hard to get him on the court any more than he is because he is playing a lot. There are only two bigs at a time, and sometimes only one because teams play small. He’s getting as much time as I can play him.”Seriously, Pop? 20 minutes is as much as you can play him? You have about 70 minutes available at power forward and center outside of Tim Duncan, yet it's only possible to carve out 20 minutes for Splitter? And you consider 20 minutes for Splitter "a lot"?

:smchode:

slick'81
01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
pops right cant play two "centers" at once

its not like the spurs have had success with some sort of twin tower front before

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
What were you saying about pulling the Senile card? :lol

timvp
01-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Another Pop quote from tonight:
“He’s a big-time pro,” Popovich said. “He’s a workhorse, and a really fun basketball player to watch. He’s not gifted with a lot of skills, but he plays the game the right way.”Pop always says Splitter is a blue-collar player or doesn't have skills ... but WTF type of skills is he expecting out of Splitter? He looks pretty damn skillful to me on the low block, with his overall coordination and with his passing. You can say a player like Oberto didn't have any skills but Splitter is definitely "skilled", tbh.

gospursgojas
Pop is not and will continue to not play him bc its what everybody wants. It's too obvious of a solution. Pop likes to think he knows something nobody else knows. And since everyone knows tiago should play more pop ain't doing it.

Sean Cagney
F POP Now, he is an idiot the last few years. I still got love for him though, he lead us to a few titles and was my fave coach for a good while! Now he has just lost it though.

ElNono
Another Pop quote from tonight: Pop always says Splitter is a blue-collar player or doesn't have skills ... but WTF type of skills is he expecting out of Splitter? He looks pretty damn skillful to me on the low block, with his overall coordination and with his passing. You can say a player like Oberto didn't have any skills but Splitter is definitely "skilled", tbh.

I just bumped your comment and Bruno's in the other thread about this... spot on :tu

slick'81
01-22-2012, 01:26 AM
splitter is still a work in progress far from finished but he needs time. why not unlesah him?!? ur only other options is a wanna be malik rose and pops new brad lohaus:bang

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:26 AM
:pop: "Scola wasn't skilled, like Matty, that's why we shipped his ass out"

timvp
01-22-2012, 01:27 AM
What were you saying about pulling the Senile card? :lol

I'm holding onto that card ... for now.

But, man, Pop is making it difficult. This should be a no-brainer . . .

slick'81
maybe pop wants more of a shotblocking defensive center but that sure as hell isnt bonner/blair either

Cane
Splitter should be averaging around the same mins as his fellow Brazilians like Nene and Varjeao, which is around 25-33 mins IIRC

Unfortunately even with Splitter playing more, Spurs still need another shot alterer in the paint, especially since injuries are more of an inevitability than not in this crazy season and we're relying on Blair and Bonner...and if Blair is taken out of the starting lineup, who knows what that will do to his confidence and game like last season showed

TheSpurglar
01-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Okay, so this will probably be an unpopular theory, but is it possible that part of this is Duncan's fault? Tim is my all-time favorite Spur, and he's never struck me as a selfish player, but Pop/sportswriters are always claiming Splitter/Duncan won't work together because they essentially play in the same spot on the floor. So, assuming that this is true, just for a moment...

Duncan/Bonner = Duncan plays on the low block, Bonner gets his minutes because he spreads the floor, although he can only shoot from 3. He has no mid-range game to speak of.

Duncan/Blair/Splitter = Duncan plays on the low block, Blair/Splitter play clean-up, but get far less minutes than Bonner because they don't spread the floor. They each have no mid-range game whatsoever, though Blair occasionally tries, bless his heart.

Now, when Duncan and Robinson were playing together, didn't Robinson swallow his pride and spend a lot of time out of the paint offensively working on his jumper and playing the hi/low with Tim? Tim was a great post player, and did that extremely well, and Robinson had the better mid-range game and was not as strong in the post as Tim during that time.

Isn't Tim, out of every big the Spurs have, the best at spotting up from 18 feet and nailing a set shot? Could the lack of time Splitter is getting have something to do with Tim refusing to leave the painted area offensively due to ego, selfishness, denial, etc.?

Not trying to troll here at all. I think the theory has merit and want to know what others might think.

In addition, could Splitter's improved play in the post be by design? Is it possible Pop just wasn't sure Splitter could play that role, and perhaps now that he knows (please let him know!) Splitter can manage it, we could see Duncan take more of an Admiral-esque role from here on out? (hope hope)

ElNono
01-22-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm holding onto that card ... for now.

But, man, Pop is making it difficult. This should be a no-brainer . . .

I'm just waiting for the RJ+Tiago for Kapono salary dump, at which point I might as well just turn in my Spurs fan card until he checks into an asylum.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Moron since 2006. Glad to see some of you are starting to figure this out.

Ice009
01-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Another Pop quote from tonight: Pop always says Splitter is a blue-collar player or doesn't have skills ... but WTF type of skills is he expecting out of Splitter? He looks pretty damn skillful to me on the low block, with his overall coordination and with his passing. You can say a player like Oberto didn't have any skills but Splitter is definitely "skilled", tbh.

I had the same reaction to that quote. Tiago is showing more skills than any big man not named Tim Duncan the Spurs have had in the last 3 years.

What is Pop doing? Enough with the blue collar shit. Tiago's ripped off that collar and Pop doesn't like it.

Marc Gasol wasn't great when he came to the NBA, but he has improved leaps and bounds. Does Pop not realize players can improve? Is he against it?

Libri
01-22-2012, 01:37 AM
“He’s a big-time pro,” Popovich said.

I agree that Tiago is a pro but I'm hoping Pop is not thinking, Splitter is a profesional, he won't complain if I don't give him more minutes.

Manu20
01-22-2012, 01:39 AM
I really hate to question Pop but Splitter should be playing 30+ minutes this season. IMO Tim would benefit as he is mostly a jump shooter at this stage of his career and Tony looked pretty darn good in the pick and roll with Tiago.

Blake
Moron since 2006. Glad to see some of you are starting to figure this out.

If a moron can win a title, then clearly NBA coaches are greatly overrated.

ElNono
tbh, even if we entertain this idea that Splitter isn't really skilled, our current frontcourt is so fucking pathetic outside of Duncan that a "scrub" like Tiago is able to post a 25-10 line... there's just no excuse not to run small amounts of offense through Tiago in the post with Tim stretching the court in the Dice/DRob role.

I just don't understand how that's worse than trashman Blair living under the basket trying to catch some leftovers and Bonner chucking up 3's.

200 miles
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
:idiot:pop::idiot

analyzed
01-22-2012, 01:44 AM
pops right cant play two "centers" at once

its not like the spurs have had success with some sort of twin tower front before

With TD's emphasis in the perimeter jumper this year I can't see why he can't play with Tiago. But for this to happen, you've got to give them minutes playing together for this to work,

Manu20
01-22-2012, 01:45 AM
If it were up to Sean Elliott, Tiago would be seeing 40+ minutes a game with 80% of the plays for him!:king

Borosai
01-22-2012, 01:47 AM
If Pop is sticking to his rotations, then I agree with him: he can't play him more. IMO, he needs to realize the obvious and start playing his best players.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 01:48 AM
If a moron can win a title, then clearly NBA coaches are greatly overrated.

If a moron can win a title when he should have won two or three, then his impact can't be overstated.

Blake
01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
If a moron can win a title when he should have won two or three, then his impact can't be overstated.

what other years are you referring to?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM

Isn't that somewhat demoralizing to have your coach say taht about you?

Maybe Pop and Splitter have some sort of beef going on

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 01:57 AM

2006 obviously.

Blake
01-22-2012, 02:06 AM
2006 obviously.

you said two or three.

How did he screw up in 06?

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:18 AM
you said two or three.

How did he screw up in 06?

Yes, two or three means two OR three. 2006 and 2007 would have been two. See who started at center for the 63 regular season wins, see who started at center for the 2007 title and then look at the minutes those three healthy centers logged for the 2006 playoff run.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Pop had better check his minutes chart, because he can definitely squeeze in another 10 for Splitter, especially since most of Tim's points seem to be coming on uncontested 18fters from the top.

Tim and Dice could play together just fine because Tim worked the post and Dice nailed 15-20fters all day. Now Tim should take the Dice role and nail the jumpers while Splitter does the heavy-lifting in the post. Why can't Pop see this?

SenorSpur
01-22-2012, 02:25 AM

He's no less skilled than say, Scola. I see a lot of the same footwork and junk in his game - as Sean Elliott likes to say. Of course, Scola is a tad bit more advanced simply because he's been playing at the highest level for a longer period of time. However, I wouldn't trade Splitter for Scola.

roycrikside
01-22-2012, 02:27 AM

Pop's definition of "skilled" big man is a guy who shoots threes a la Bonner. Tim is very unskilled.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 02:29 AM
I don't consider being labeled a "blue collar" player an insult. Blue collar, imo, is a compliment. That said, the blue collar Brazilian needs more pt asap.

dylankerouac
01-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Pop needs a sabbatical.

SenorSpur
01-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Pop is a stubborn, flop-eared old mule. I cannot believe the shit he says or the decisions he makes. They make no sense to no one -not even him.

As I said in another thread, despite this career night production from Splitter, Pop will probably revert him back to his standard 20 min per game status. Damn fool!

Buddy Holly
01-22-2012, 02:35 AM
Pop's got a big head and thinks he'd bigger than the game. He can't see past his own damn nose.

cube1980
01-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Trade Pop, Blair, and RJ for another big, plz.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Pop is a stubborn, flop-eared old mule. I cannot believe the shit he says or the decisions he makes. They make no sense to no one -not even him.

As I said in another thread, despite this career night production from Splitter, Pop will probably revert him back to his standard 20 min per game status. Damn fool!

Dang, SS, save some of that tension for March.

roycrikside
01-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Another Pop quote from tonight:

“He’s a big-time pro,” Popovich said. “He’s a workhorse, and a really fun basketball player to watch. He’s not gifted with a lot of skills, but he plays the game the right way.”

Pop always says Splitter is a blue-collar player or doesn't have skills ... but WTF type of skills is he expecting out of Splitter? He looks pretty damn skillful to me on the low block, with his overall coordination and with his passing. You can say a player like Oberto didn't have any skills but Splitter is definitely "skilled", tbh..

The quote was edited in the article. Look at the link. Either Pop or someone with the Spurs got to Buck and had him remove everything between "workhorse" and "but he plays the game the right way." I guess he didn't want Splitter to read that he's not skilled and have the fans who actually watch the games lose their minds. If Pop actually said it, Buck and the SA Express News are all gigantic pussies for taking the quote out. It's a joke how much the media there bends over for this ego-maniac who has never, ever, gotten over himself.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 02:44 AM
The quote was edited in the article. Look at the link. Either Pop or someone with the Spurs got to Buck and had him remove everything between "workhorse" and "but he plays the game the right way." I guess he didn't want Splitter to read that he's not skilled and have the fans who actually watch the games lose their minds. If Pop actually said it, Buck and the SA Express News are all gigantic pussies for taking the quote out. It's a joke how much the media there bends over for this ego-maniac who has never, ever, gotten over himself.

Guys should be tweeting it to Tiago to ask what he thinks of it.

cube1980
01-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Those words were removed because of this thread :lol

:depressed

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Pop and RC's failure, to address the front line, has come back to haunt them in a big way. Just speculating, but Pop's reason for not starting Splitter, is the turd tower combo left on the bench. The guessing is that Pop will lose whatever Blair can provide if he benches him, and Bonner is, well, Bonner. Maybe Pop trusts that Splitter can handle coming off the bench better than Blair. BTW, I do not agree with this reasoning, just trying to figure WTF Pops thinking.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2012, 02:55 AM
pop = fail

the year he tried adjusting to play small against small lineups = we didnt win shit, we went away from our big lineups that was working for us that got us 4 rings, playin small didnt win us shit....if he wants a good example, look at how many teams after our last run has won a championship with big frontline lineups...

yet he continues with the small ball rotation bullshit, those teams that play smallball dont even play in the playoffs, yet he continues with this shit in the playoffs...

Blake
01-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Yes, two or three means two OR three. 2006 and 2007 would have been two. See who started at center for the 63 regular season wins, see who started at center for the 2007 title and then look at the minutes those three healthy centers logged for the 2006 playoff run.

So you don't have a third in mind, per se. That's why I asked.

Instead of me doing an assignment, I'd rather you just get to the point.

crc21209
01-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Wow Pop.....he's taking this trolling to an all-time level right now. He's got to be fucking blind if he can't see that Splitter has been playing lights out the past couple games. In order for this team to succeed, he needs to control his boner for Bonner and play Splitter more NOW.

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:23 AM

Let's be honest with ourselves here. Pop is just a damn liar. He holds grudges and gets more and more stubborn the more he is questioned on what he does, same with what he did to Bruce, just lied about everything. If anyone doubts his stupid ass he will continue to do what he's doing. He knows damn well he won two championships with two 7 footers in the paint at the same damn time, and we clogged the lane and it was OUR advantage. People had to match up to US.

This asshole knows this, he's doing this shit on purpose, he's a damn liar.

Capt Bringdown
01-22-2012, 03:26 AM
“He’s a big-time pro,” Popovich said. “He’s a workhorse, and a really fun basketball player to watch. He’s not gifted with a lot of skills, but he plays the game the right way.”

Unless Pop's trying to motivate Splitter through the media, what's the purpose of this statement?

Sounds like Pop is bored and should move on.

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:31 AM

2006 definitely

Ice009
01-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Pop and RC's failure, to address the front line, has come back to haunt them in a big way. Just speculating, but Pop's reason for not starting Splitter, is the turd tower combo left on the bench. The guessing is that Pop will lose whatever Blair can provide if he benches him, and Bonner is, well, Bonner. Maybe Pop trusts that Splitter can handle coming off the bench better than Blair. BTW, I do not agree with this reasoning, just trying to figure WTF Pops thinking.

You might be onto something. He thinks Tiago will do what Manu did for the team and come off the bench.

Fuck Blair if he's too much of a pussy to play off the bench.

It's time to start your best players. Simple as that.

Blake
01-22-2012, 03:37 AM
2006 definitely

K, what could Pop have done differently in 06 to bring a title that year?

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:40 AM

Those dirty assholes! Strong arming the damn media and the media being the typical pussies, being afraid of these bastards. Someone retweet these things all on twitter and repost on the Spurs facebook and news pages.

Spurs front office :pctoss
:pop::pctoss
SA Media :pctoss

SA210
01-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Who is this chump dumper? Who doesn't know that Pop put us in position to lose by playing small ball against Dallas? It's when this insanity first started.

It would have been a three-peat had he not screwed it up with that stupid crap..

objective
01-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Let's be honest with ourselves here. Pop is just a damn liar. He holds grudges and gets more and more stubborn the more he is questioned on what he does, same with what he did to Bruce, just lied about everything. If anyone doubts his stupid ass he will continue to do what he's doing. He knows damn well he won two championships with two 7 footers in the paint at the same damn time, and we clogged the lane and it was OUR advantage. People had to match up to US.

This asshole knows this, he's doing this shit on purpose, he's a damn liar.

I can't think of anything to refute this. He absolutely holds grudges (refusing to talk to Hank Egan for years because he wanted to help another young coach? good lord). He sure seems like he resents players and will manufacture excuses to be against them (Mahinmi is the poster child for this, and repeatedly claiming that Splitter was a cripple all last year). And of course he sneeringly spat upon the notion that Bowen retired of his own free will and then proceeded to have a 10-day contract scrub wear Bowen's jersey number, something the Spurs-related media shut their pathetic mouths on.

And it doesn't matter if it's the Express News and their drunk patsies, the buffoonish tv sportscasters with their bad tans, plugs, and frog faces, the awful sportstalk radio shows, or sites like 48 Minutes of Hell. They are all too timid, ignorant, or Popwashed to ever objectively examine the Spurs and buck the party line because they risk ending up in line with O'Keefe.

This is possible. I certainly thought last year that Blair off the bench would be a wrecking ball against other back up big men and tired starters, but when McDyess got moved up it was the opposite. He had learned the fine Spurs tradition of quitting and dogging it on the court that had worked so well for Michael Finley, Brent Barry, and Hedo Turkoglu. Those guys should have never started ahead of Manu, ever, but Pop went for it.

Difference is that at least off the bench Manu still played starter's minutes. Splitter is getting damn Danny Ferry minutes.

It's strange. Blair's play turns to garbage late last year, while Splitter shined trying to salvage another Pop postseason debacle.

So how does this year start?

Blair is rewarded with the starting spot, not even an open competition. Then Bonner gets to start when Duncan doesn't.

:lol

SA210
01-22-2012, 04:05 AM
I can't think of anything to refute this. He absolutely holds grudges (refusing to talk to Hank Egan for years because he wanted to help another young coach? good lord). He sure seems like he resents players and will manufacture excuses to be against them (Mahinmi is the poster child for this, and repeatedly claiming that Splitter was a cripple all last year). And of course he sneeringly spat upon the notion that Bowen retired of his own free will and then proceeded to have a 10-day contract scrub wear Bowen's jersey number, something the Spurs-related media shut their pathetic mouths on.

Post of the frickin year so far. This is the frickin truth. Someone mass email this to every news org, I swear.

Redshadows
01-22-2012, 04:11 AM

:lol So, in pop's mind, Spiltter is the fourth big because he is less skillful than Bonner and Blair?

timtonymanu
01-22-2012, 04:17 AM
Lol so Splitter isn't skilled enough yet Bonner's t-Rex defense and Blair's hit or miss performances are skilled. Lol Pop treating Splitter like a D-leaguer when Blair and Bonner would be 5th bigs on any other contending team.

objective
01-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Post of the frickin year so far. This is the frickin truth. Someone mass email this to every news org, I swear.

Don't do that! They have enough problems driving without checking their phones to read their email.

Keep the roads safe, people.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2012, 04:27 AM
lol I used to get angry about sports too.

Spurs da champs
01-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Lol so Splitter isn't skilled enough yet Bonner's t-Rex defense and Blair's hit or miss performances are skilled. Lol Pop treating Splitter like a D-leaguer when Blair and Bonner would be 5th bigs on any other contending team.

They wouldn't even be on contending teams! And I agree that Pop is just too damn stubborn to realize how stupid he is for not playing Splitter more, obviously he hates Splitter, starting Bonner ahead of Splitter says it all.

analyzed
01-22-2012, 05:16 AM
The only positive I see in this, is Pop still have time this season to steadily increase Tiago's PT. After all where only 1/4 into the regular season. I'd really freak out if we were in the tail end of the regular season or worst yet the playoffs and Tiago was still getting 20 min of playing time.

If you recal wasn't Dice avg less than 20min early in his first season, but ended up playing over 30 min in the playoffs, so it is still possible

Bruno
01-22-2012, 05:28 AM
December 7, 2010:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/07/tiago-splitter-understandably-a-bit-frustrated-with-his-lack-of-playing-time/
I’m not in a position to give him (Splitter) 30 minutes to get him going. That’s not fair to him or to the whole group.

FACT: Spurs were destroyed in the paint against Memphis. Pop desperately tried to put Splitter in the rotation in the middle of this series.

December 29, 2011:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sportsxchange-000517027_popovich-happy-with-young-trio
(Splitter) wasn't healthy, so he was never on the court,

FACT: Splitter had 2 injuries last year. He missed the training camp and the first 2 games of the season because of a strained plantaris muscle. He missed 8 games, including the games where he got the injury, in February because of a hamstring injury. So, between playoffs and regular season, Splitter was healthy for 78 of the 88 games played.

January 21, 2012:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/

It’s hard to get him (Splitter)on the court any more than he is because he is playing a lot. There are only two bigs at a time, and sometimes only one because teams play small. He’s getting as much time as I can play him

FACT: Bonner and Blair combined are playing 41:34mpg.

analyzed
01-22-2012, 05:35 AM
FACT: Bonner and Blair combined are playing 41:34mpg.

10 of those minutes 5 each from both players should go to Tiago. Period no excuses

objective
01-22-2012, 05:56 AM
FACT: Splitter had 2 injuries last year. He missed the training camp and the first 2 games of the season because of a strained plantaris muscle. He missed 8 games, including the games where he got the injury, in February because of a hamstring injury. So, between playoffs and regular season, Splitter was healthy for 78 of the 88 games played.

this was something I touched a month (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5519259&postcount=43) ago re: Splitter's games last year after strange comments this pre-season from Pop and terrible McDonaldisms from McDonald.

Splitter was not injured most of the time. Nothing that would have kept him on the bench most of the year. He had a tough year because Pop made it a tough year.

He didn't dress for 9 games if Yahoo's boxes are correct. He played 60 and had another 13 non-appearances credited as DNP-CDs, which rings true to my memory. AND in the playoffs he spent the first 3 games with DNP-CDs on the bench.

RJ had a helluva year, Splitter was hurt all season . . . the hits keep coming.

The only issue keeping Splitter from playing the minutes he should is Pop's coaching. Not injuries, not supposed softness, not Bonner, not Blair, just Pop.

silverblk mystix
01-22-2012, 06:05 AM
I remember last season when Pop made a similar comment----BEFORE--- Splitter arrived...

I had been watching Tiago play int'l ball and I was baffled to hear pop say this...I also thought it was not a smart thing to say...at least give the guy a chance....

A few popologists here sneered when I said Pop was crazy to be saying that shit ...cough cough chump,chazley, schtiiikkkk, cough...

These pop dick riders were arguing that Pop was right ...Splitter will never this...never that...mahinmi sucked...blah-fuckin-blah...

It has been obvious to a few and now Pop is showing his ass....

I said Splitter is better than you think and he could help right away...but no...it was splitter is just a role player...a bench player...maybe 5-10 mins a game....

Where are the popologists and how great is Pop now?

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 06:20 AM
So you don't have a third in mind, per se. That's why I asked.

Instead of me doing an assignment, I'd rather you just get to the point.

The point hasn't changed. I tried to make it simple. You're the one who got obtuse and needed it explained to you like you're a moron. If there's a third per se, it would probably be 2011 since the Spurs were a number one seed and the Mavericks weren't all that good. A healthy Ginobili and Splitter in the rotation the entire season would have made a huge difference.

biskvito
01-22-2012, 06:21 AM
I think Splitter was used to a lot of teamwork to make his points, but in NBA that's not always the case. Most teams offense seems to rely on individual skills.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2012, 06:24 AM
not playin him 30mins or being unfair to the playing group...whatever happen to earning your minutes?? fck pop has been overrated since the takeover...fck the veterans on the team for being chicken shits just taking it like a goat and not standing up to the man tellin him whats wrong

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 06:27 AM

So since you whined when I explained this to you, you've now moved on to asking the same question of other people? You don't really need this explained again, you're just mad that someone is bad-mouthing the coach, right?

angelbelow
01-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Jesus, maybe he should request a trade -_-

polandprzem
01-22-2012, 06:41 AM
One of the WTF quotes

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2012, 06:55 AM
If Tiago is not gifted with a lot of skills imagine Bonner and Blair...

Pop must wake up. Give Tiago 30 minutes or more. The less Bonner and Blair the better

quentin_compson
01-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Well, I guess Bonner counts as "skilled" because not only can he shoot the three, he also has his running hook-shot that almost never fails him. :lol

Seriously, I have no idea why Pop doesn't see or doesn't want to see the benefits in playing Splitter more.
Yeah, Splitter looked tired at times in a couple of games. But how is he supposed to get used to playing closer to 30 minutes per game if he rarely gets the chance to do so? Sounds like a Catch 22-situation to me ...

Last night, Tiago logged in 32 minutes and looked physically fine to me.

MI21
01-22-2012, 07:40 AM
It's a shame the Spurs don't have a hard nosed, NBA playing experienced assistant coach to perhaps try and convince Pop about what he is doing here. I can't imagine Budenholzer or Brown being the type to speak up a whole lot.

I'm trying to think if there has ever been such an injustice in recent NBA history as this? Seriously, there isn't a Spurs fan out there that believes Bonner and Blair deserve more time than Tiago... at the very minimum, he deserves the chance.

dunkman
01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Pop don't want to risk an injury, I guess, and wants to keep Splitter motivated with the disparaging comments.

That being said this lost game is on Pop, when he substituted Splitter with Blair. Not a big deal, as it's a RS game, but still a mistake.

The FO is doing some strange moves. It seems that players like Mahinmi or Scola were scoured by some who isn't liked by Pop and he want to prove them wrong. Or he doesn't like Ivanović from Baskonia and it's a shot at him. It's just ridiculous to hear something like "Splitter isn't skilled", when he dominated last night.

Must have been drunk or something.

rascal
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM

2000-2002 Three year span with both Robinson and Duncan and lakers get 3 titles.

DBMethos
01-22-2012, 08:45 AM
It's a shame the Spurs don't have a hard nosed, NBA playing experienced assistant coach to perhaps try and convince Pop about what he is doing here. I can't imagine Budenholzer or Brown being the type to speak up a whole lot.

Pop's surrounded by yes men. It'd be like someone to tell George Lucas when he was making the Star Wars prequels, "gee, George, I don't think that people really want to see a whiny little kid as Anakin". There's no one to call him on his bullshit.

Marco
01-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Sad as it is, the only way for Splitter to increase PT is an injury to the other "bigs".

GrandeDavid
01-22-2012, 09:10 AM
In Buck Harvey's article (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/), Pop blew my mind with this quote:Seriously, Pop? 20 minutes is as much as you can play him? You have about 70 minutes available at power forward and center outside of Tim Duncan, yet it's only possible to carve out 20 minutes for Splitter? And you consider 20 minutes for Splitter "a lot"?

Inexcusable. Time for Coach Pop to ride off into the sunset. How delusional.

Russ
01-22-2012, 09:27 AM
The silver lining here may be that Pop often does something different than he says.

It seems almost like a defense mechanism -- he's stubborn in his rhetoric but sometimes reasonable in his actions.

I can see Pop starting to play Splitter 28-30 minutes a game and then glaring at some reporter with that deadpan "what-the-hell-are-you talking-about" look for suggesting that he's playing Splitter any more than he used to.

Josepatches_
01-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I had the same reaction to that quote. Tiago is showing more skills than any big man not named Tim Duncan the Spurs have had in the last 3 years.

What is Pop doing? Enough with the blue collar shit. Tiago's ripped off that collar and Pop doesn't like it.

Marc Gasol wasn't great when he came to the NBA, but he has improved leaps and bounds. Does Pop not realize players can improve? Is he against it?

No

He was a very good player.Same Splitter. They have to adapt their game to the NBA and they need to play to do it. It's not like they weren't great and they have improved because they play. It's a matter of confidence and adaptation.

boutons_deux
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Most of biggest men play basketball because they are big, not because they athletic. (eg, just watch Splitter shoot his discombobulated, anti-smooth free throw)

Splitter is clearly one of those, but still acceptably serviceable and effective.

WeNeedLength
01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Reading this thread makes me so damn depressed :depressed

Slydragon
01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Pop comes to Spurstalk and reads most the post and does opposite on purpose. So after the game he sits down with his wine and reads all the piss off post and has a chuckle.

So we need to start yelling "Play Splitter less" and he will get more playing time. Or I could just be joking.

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Who is this chump dumper? Who doesn't know that Pop put us in position to lose by playing small ball against Dallas? It's when this insanity first started.

It would have been a three-peat had he not screwed it up with that stupid crap..

Because Nazr, Rasho and Oberto were such awesome bigs?

I recall that when they played during the series that they sucked, notably game 2.

I think it's easier to argue that Pop put them in as good a position to win it all that year by playing a heavy dose of his 5 or 6 best players.... much like Pat Riley was known to do during playoff time.

DaDakota
01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Maybe the Spurs should get someone to coach him up on his moves? He is tall and athletic, but seems a little stiff, do they have a big man coach for him?

DD

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Where are the popologists and how great is Pop now?

Manu is hurt and the Spurs are in the middle of things at 10-7.

What coach out there do you feel would have a better record at this point?

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
The point hasn't changed. I tried to make it simple. You're the one who got obtuse and needed it explained to you like you're a moron.

The point that Pop shoulda coulda won more titles than one since 2006?

You did anything but make it simple, moron. You told me to go dig up some stats instead of giving a simple answer.

If there's a third per se, it would probably be 2011 since the Spurs were a number one seed and the Mavericks weren't all that good. A healthy Ginobili and Splitter in the rotation the entire season would have made a huge difference.

Agreed that a healthy Ginobili makes a huge difference.

Are you able to explain how that's Pop's fault without trying to send me on a stat crusade?

WeNeedLength
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I have changed my avatar to show the thoughts of Pop regarding Splitter and Spurstalk. :lol

DAF86
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
At this point I'm glad Dice retired 'cause if he wouldn't have I'm not sure Splitter would be playing at all.

dbestpro
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
The way Pop sees the Spurs world is the reason that I did not even bother watching the game on TV. I know we can show better but Pop will not allow it so for now I'm kind of at, "What's the point?"

Maybe when Manu comes back or when Pop has an epihany regarding Splitter for Bonner and Blair there will be something to see. Right now it just seems like Pop is the comedian and he only knows one joke. It was okay at first, but year after year the joke is getting old.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I remember last season when Pop made a similar comment----BEFORE--- Splitter arrived...

I had been watching Tiago play int'l ball and I was baffled to hear pop say this...I also thought it was not a smart thing to say...at least give the guy a chance....

A few popologists here sneered when I said Pop was crazy to be saying that shit ...cough cough chump,chazley, schtiiikkkk, cough...

These pop dick riders were arguing that Pop was right ...Splitter will never this...never that...mahinmi sucked...blah-fuckin-blah...

It has been obvious to a few and now Pop is showing his ass....

I said Splitter is better than you think and he could help right away...but no...it was splitter is just a role player...a bench player...maybe 5-10 mins a game....

Where are the popologists and how great is Pop now?Your rage clouds your memory.

Happens all the time tbh.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 03:04 PM

I'm trying to think if there has ever been such an injustice in recent NBA history as this? Seriously, there isn't a Spurs fan out there that believes Bonner and Blair deserve more time than Tiago... at the very minimum, he deserves the chance.

They are the simulator crew.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
So after thinking about it, I really don't know what to make of this still. I don't really see a motive as to why Pop would continue to subtly jab at Tiago by calling him by all accounts a non-skill player. I also don't see why Pop would look at the 20MPG and say that's all he can give him? It doesn't seem truthful from Pop, but I also don't see the benefit of saying that.

Quiet Strength
01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow wtf? Pop is proving to be dumber than I thought. If splitter isn't skilled then what the fuck is bonner? Pop is just wasting splitters earned minutes by giving them to blair and bonner. What the hell does he have against splitter? Pop must be addicted to watching red heads run around.

SA210
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM

I recall that when they played during the series that they sucked, notably game 2.

I think it's easier to argue that Pop put them in as good a position to win it all that year by playing a heavy dose of his 5 or 6 best players.... much like Pat Riley was known to do during playoff time.

I'm not playing this game. You sound like chump. We lost that year because of Pop. He should have played Rasho, as he did all year long. He changed his philosophy right in the middle of the damn playoffs, and not for good. That's all I'm going to say about this to you because obviously you play the chump game, and your mind is made up regardless anyway. Pop screwed the Spurs that year, we should have a three peat.

SA210
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
The point hasn't changed. I tried to make it simple. You're the one who got obtuse and needed it explained to you like you're a moron. If there's a third per se, it would probably be 2011 since the Spurs were a number one seed and the Mavericks weren't all that good. A healthy Ginobili and Splitter in the rotation the entire season would have made a huge difference.

BillMc
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Is there any chance this is just Pop sending a message to Tiago? In effect saying, "I like your hustle, your effort but some skill <insert skill that Pop wants to improve> needs to get better. Minutes is reward for improvement."

Pop likes to push buttons. If he thinks you have an ego, and need focus he rides you hard, like he did Tony. Maybe, here he just wants Tiago to keep working on something.

I know this is just conjecture. But I'll throw it out there.

Best, Bill

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Is there any chance this is just Pop sending a message to Tiago? In effect saying, "I like your hustle, your effort but some skill <insert skill that Pop wants to improve> needs to get better. Minutes is reward for improvement."

Pop likes to push buttons. If he thinks you have an ego, and need focus he rides you hard, like he did Tony. Maybe, here he just wants Tiago to keep working on something.

I know this is just conjecture. But I'll throw it out there.

Best, Bill

Logic would hold up more if guys like Bonner who have regressed in addition to showing no improvement didn't get minutes.

Brazil
01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Pop started to loosing it in 2008... now he is reaching the bottom

Brazil
01-22-2012, 06:18 PM
If Pop cant play Tiago more... sit Tim and give the starting job to Tiago.

Tim coming off the bench is maybe the right thing to do

TheSpurglar
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Logic would hold up more if guys like Bonner who have regressed in addition to showing no improvement didn't get minutes.

But then who do you pull Bonner for when you're teaching a lesson to Splitter and/or Blair? Everybody else is playing pretty awful too. Maybe Pop simply thinks Bonner is what he is at this point and he'll be where he's supposed to be offensively and defensively, even if he stinks.

Another thing to consider... Pop started Blair nearly all of last year, and then plugged Dice in for the last 12-15 games to get him warmed up for the playoffs, correct? Is it possible Pop fears Splitter's conditioning/health, and is going to make a similar move late this year?

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Why would he think that?

TheSpurglar
01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
He's mentioned Splitter's various injuries last year a few times this season already when speaking as to why Splitter didn't get much time last year. Maybe he's afraid it could happen again? And doesn't want to call Tiago soft or injury-prone in the media?

tbh, I have no clue why Splitter shouldn't be getting 30+ minutes a game, and a majority of those next to Duncan, given the evidence. But Pop ain't saying, so all we can do is speculate.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
That's the point. Pop saying Tiago was injury prone was flat out wrong. Doesn't hold water.

silverblk mystix
01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I seriously lost faith/confidence in Pop a couple of seasons ago when the Spurs had a back to back...the 2nd game was in Denver....

Pop sat the "big 3"....but not exactly.... he actually sat the "big 4"....(in Pop's mind)

TD,TP, Manu.....and Michael Finley sat out this game....then he actually played the rest of the team...the indignity of playing in a game that your coach was purposely tanking...Bowen included if my memory serves me right...

Back then it was all you needed to know about the respect and the disrespect he felt for Finley and Bowen...

Pretty fuckin' sad after all that Bowen did for this franchise...some here will forgive this....I can't....

Fuck Pop....time to get rid of him or time for Pop to step down if he has any integrity left...

Ice009
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
No

He was a very good player.Same Splitter. They have to adapt their game to the NBA and they need to play to do it. It's not like they weren't great and they have improved because they play. It's a matter of confidence and adaptation.

What I meant was Marc Gasol wasn't playing as good as he is now when he first came to the NBA. I should have worded it differently.

He's better now, either because of the court time he got to adapt and/or he has also improved his game a little. Surely you would say he has had some improvement since he's been in the NBA? His body weight is one big improvement.

TheSpurglar
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
So then is it possible Tim is resisting the move to "perimeter big" when Tiago is on the floor?

It's either that, Tiago is more injury-prone and/or unintelligent than he appears, or Pop is making up lies about Tiago for grins. :bang

Blake
01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not playing this game. You sound like chump. We lost that year because of Pop. He should have played Rasho, as he did all year long. He changed his philosophy right in the middle of the damn playoffs, and not for good. That's all I'm going to say about this to you because obviously you play the chump game, and your mind is made up regardless anyway. Pop screwed the Spurs that year, we should have a three peat.

Damn sneaky Raptors getting over on the Spurs by getting Rasho and getting rid of Bonner!

Blake
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
So since you whined when I explained this to you, you've now moved on to asking the same question of other people?

You haven't explained shit.

Why do you care if I ask someone else for their opinion on a messageboard? Jealous?

You don't really need this explained again, you're just mad that someone is bad-mouthing the coach, right?

You never explained it the first time.

I find the year in, year out bashing of Pop hilarious.

You don't really have any tangible evidence that it was Pop's fault for the Spurs not winning a title in 2006, do you?

Blake
01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
I seriously lost faith/confidence in Pop a couple of seasons ago when the Spurs had a back to back...the 2nd game was in Denver....

What was the Spurs record at the end of that year?

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Regular season champs!!!

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Regular season champs!!!

If you stop and think about, don't all dynasties end somewhat like this? Aging stars, FO trying keep it going, fans with high expectations use to ringing, etc... In the Spurs case limited finances, low draft picks, their inability to lure marquee free agents, etc...?

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Sure, that doesn't mean they dont mistakes. It's not about a guarantee of a ring but putting the best team out there. It's also about practicing what you preach and having a clear vision; at least that is what's expected out of a front office such as this one.

jag
01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Holy shit Blake is irritating.

Blake
01-22-2012, 10:07 PM

rofl Pop/Bonner haters are fucking hilarious.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 10:10 PM

He's worse than Chump but I at least believe that if Chump wanted to, he could have good takes.

mystargtr34
01-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I get a kick out of Chump though ..some of the one line comebacks are hilarious.. but I would be pissed if he pulled that shit on me :lol

jag
01-22-2012, 10:13 PM
rofl Pop/Bonner haters are fucking hilarious.

lol you do realize i'm not a "Pop hater" right?

lol you thinking someone has to disagree with you to think you're irritating.

jag
01-22-2012, 10:15 PM
He's worse than Chump but I at least believe that if Chump wanted to, he could have good takes.

CD can let his nonsense drag on and on, but at least he's funny. Blake tries to be CD but he just ends up being unfunny and unclever. He's like a blind homeless man's version of a poor man's chumpdumper.

Blake
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM

shh girl!

jag
01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
shh girl!

Blake tries to be CD but he just ends up being unfunny and unclever.

Blake
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
lol you do realize i'm not a "Pop hater" right?

lol lol I don't know anything about you

lol you thinking someone has to disagree with you to think you're irritating.

lol lol you being irritated for no reason

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Sure, that doesn't mean they dont mistakes. It's not about a guarantee of a ring but putting the best team out there. It's also about practicing what you preach and having a clear vision; at least that is what's expected out of a front office such as this one.

True, but the FO's vision was alot more clearer, when you had a prime big 3, and Bowen. As the big 3 have aged, and key role players, like Bruce, Horry, etc. retiring, the margin of error for the FO has pretty much disappeared. As for mistakes, the FO definitely have had their share. Now the FO is in the inevitable position of trying to contend with a aging big 3, while trying to rebuild on the fly.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Yes, actually. The Spurs won 63 games with the first two and won an NBA title with the third. None of them were factors by the time the Spurs were getting scored on at will and drummed out of the playoffs. That's due to minutes, not effectiveness, not matchups.

Not sure what series you're referring to, but Horry had been made the starter by the Dallas series. Rasho and Nazr combined for 10 points, 8 rebounds 6 blocks and 2 steals on 83% shooting in game 2 against Sacramento. Nazr started the series with 18 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks in game one and was a DNP-CD by game 5. That stupid three pointer...

lol. Michael Finley at power forward is why a 63 win team went 7-6 in the playoffs and suddenly couldn't stop giving up points in the paint.

Blake
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I like irritation

jag
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
lol lol you being irritated for no reason

lol you ignoring the reasons I posted.

jag
01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Blake's idea of clever is changing my quote to "I like irritation".

Keep going, guy. You're on a roll

Blake
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, actually. The Spurs won 63 games with the first two and won an NBA title with the third. None of them were factors by the time the Spurs were getting scored on at will and drummed out of the playoffs.

In 2005, the best 5 for the Spurs in crunch time were the main 4 + Horry. Nazr was rarely ever around in the late 4th quarter. Rasho barely saw any time.

They would have won 60 games with or without any of those bigs mentioned.

Not sure what series you're referring to, but Horry had been made the starter by the Dallas series.

the series they lost. the Dallas series, game 2.

Rasho and Nazr combined for 10 points, 8 rebounds 6 blocks and 2 steals on 83% shooting in game 2 against Sacramento. Nazr started the series with 18 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks in game one and was a DNP-CD by game 5. That stupid three pointer...

The Spurs defense was sucking bad by Round 1 game 2. Pop started Rasho over Nazr in game 4 and he sucked too.

Correct that Pop started Horry by game 5. I think it's clear why.

lol. Michael Finley at power forward is why a 63 win team went 7-6 in the playoffs and suddenly couldn't stop giving up points in the paint.

Nazr and Rasho started and played significant minutes in two of those losses and gave up 119 to Sacramento in one of the wins.

Thinking they would have been the difference makers in getting past the Mavs in round two is rofl hilarious, imo.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 10:55 PM

Or copying something I said and getting mad when people think I'm funny.

Blackjack
01-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Nancy, I miss thee. :rollin

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
True, but the FO's vision was alot more clearer, when you had a prime big 3, and Bowen. As the big 3 have aged, and key role players, like Bruce, Horry, etc. retiring, the margin of error for the FO has pretty much disappeared. As for mistakes, the FO definitely have had their share. Now the FO is in the inevitable position of trying to contend with a aging big 3, while trying to rebuild on the fly.

That's beside the point IMO (meaning the decline). Pop no longer does what we've come to expect in principle (rewarding playoff chokers with long term contracts, not playing your best defensive players...). Even with a decline those things should be present IMO.

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:01 PM
lol you ignoring the reasons I posted.

I loled at your reasons for being irritated.

It's even funnier considering there's a chance you don't even disagree.

jag
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM

He's lefty-esque

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Rare when someone admits to irritation.

Even more rare when they ask for more.

Rofl.

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:03 PM

who's mad? U?

jag
01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Rare when someone admits to irritation.

Even more rare when they ask for more.

Rofl.

ok, buddy. You just keep on doing your thing.

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Nancy, I miss thee. :rollin

Pussy! Long time no see.

How have you been hanging?

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 11:08 PM
That's beside the point IMO (meaning the decline). Pop no longer does what we've come to expect in principle (rewarding playoff chokers with long term contracts, not playing your best defensive players...). Even with a decline those things should be present IMO.

Nail on the head! I don't WTF they were thinking reupping RJ and Bonner.

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
ok, buddy. You just keep on doing your thing.

you just stay irritated.

Entertainment value, imo. :tu

dunkman
01-22-2012, 11:12 PM
It seems to me that Pop projected to get around 40 points, 30 rebounds and some blocks from the PF/C positions regardless of who's playing. Blair will do nothing coming from the bench. Some players can produce from the bench, but most can't.

jag
01-22-2012, 11:12 PM
you just stay irritated.

Entertainment value, imo. :tu

ok, guy

maverick1948
01-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Most of biggest men play basketball because they are big, not because they athletic. (eg, just watch Splitter shoot his discombobulated, anti-smooth free throw)

Splitter is clearly one of those, but still acceptably serviceable and effective.

Compared to Shaq, Splitter has a fantastic, athletic free throw motion. :lol

Blake
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
ok, guy

right, just like that.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Exactly. Tiago's going to raise the basketball IQ of the starting unit on offense and defense. Tim and him will be more effective once they get used to each other. Sometimes high basketball IQ can make up for lack of athleticism. Think of the Mavs last year. I seriously think this team has a shot if they start with TD and Splitter.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 11:25 PM
But then who do you pull Bonner for when you're teaching a lesson to Splitter and/or Blair? Everybody else is playing pretty awful too. Maybe Pop simply thinks Bonner is what he is at this point and he'll be where he's supposed to be offensively and defensively, even if he stinks.

Another thing to consider... Pop started Blair nearly all of last year, and then plugged Dice in for the last 12-15 games to get him warmed up for the playoffs, correct? Is it possible Pop fears Splitter's conditioning/health, and is going to make a similar move late this year?

That's a bad move to make. He was trying to save Dice but putting him in the starting unit didn't save him and slowed the offense that had gotten them so many wins. It was ridiculous in the playoffs when he said he didn't want them to change their identity in the playoffs when he had begun the process of changing their identity by starting Dice. Not to mention how inept Bonner and Blair of the bench was. If Pop wasn't going to integrate Splitter the best move would have been to not make any move.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Here comes Chump to tell Blake to get off his corner

SA210
01-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Damn sneaky Raptors getting over on the Spurs by getting Rasho and getting rid of Bonner!

No, wannabe chump imitator (and that's not saying much), it's just what I said, he went away from what won us those games in the regular season. Nothing about Raptors, nothing about anything else you wanna paint it to be. We were specifically talking about 2006 playoffs. He went away from what got him there. That's all. It's fact.

The Truth #6
01-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Game 2 the Dallas series, if I remember, was the one the Spurs lost badly, and Pop went small after that, I guess as a way to match up with Dirk, or something.

That was a tough series. Game 2 we got killed, if I remember. In the beginning the refs were heavily favoring the Mavs (it somewhat evened out by the end.) So, I can sort of understand Pop experimenting in that one series. The results obviously can be debated, but that's not the big problem, to me. The issue is that Pop stayed with Finley and small ball from that point on - that's the problem. I do agree that the switch in the series was a panic move, but again, what's worse is fixating on that style afterwards, as if there had been some sort of tectonic shift in the way basketball was now being played.

MaNu4Tres
01-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Game 2 the Dallas series, if I remember, was the one the Spurs lost badly, and Pop went small after that, I guess as a way to match up with Dirk, or something..

Even though Finley didn't start at the 4 spot Game 2, Pop still went small the majority of the game.

Horry started and only logged 19 minutes.

Nazr came off the bench and logged just 11 minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200605090SAS.html

TJastal
01-23-2012, 12:14 AM
In Buck Harvey's article (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/21/buck-harvey-splitter-earns-time-next-to-duncan/), Pop blew my mind with this quote:Seriously, Pop? 20 minutes is as much as you can play him? You have about 70 minutes available at power forward and center outside of Tim Duncan, yet it's only possible to carve out 20 minutes for Splitter? And you consider 20 minutes for Splitter "a lot"?

But as Pop says, teams might play smallballs. Therefore Pop has to match up to the other team on the floor. If the other team substituted their mascot, then by golly the Coyote better be ready to play.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe this was already posted from DPG, but:

JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
@
I'd expect Splitter's mins to rise. Team still learning about him. RT @DPG21920 Is it ridic Pop says "I'm giving him all the mins I can"?

ElNono
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
lol DUI mcdonald doesn't know shit

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Even though Finley didn't start at the 4 spot Game 2, Pop still went small the majority of the game.

Yep. In truth, I don't think there were any big lineups as Nazr was basically in to give Duncan rest. Finley and Horry were the power forward rotation. Devin Harris scored a thousand points in the paint because nobody was helping Duncan to defend and the Mavs were ahead by like 20 by halftime. It seemed like Josh Howard was outrebounding everyone in that game.

EDIT: Just looked and Finley and Horry were the front line in the second quarter when the Mavs blew the game completely open.

therealtruth
01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Yep. In truth, I don't think there were any big lineups as Nazr was basically in to give Duncan rest. Finley and Horry were the power forward rotation. Devin Harris scored a thousand points in the paint because nobody was helping Duncan to defend and the Mavs were ahead by like 20 by halftime. It seemed like Josh Howard was outrebounding everyone in that game.

EDIT: Just looked and Finley and Horry were the front line in the second quarter when the Mavs blew the game completely open.

Pop felt Nazr's defense wasn't enough to make up for his lack of 3pt shooting. It's the exact same thing he's doing with Splitter and Bonner.

therealtruth
01-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Finley was the worst thing to happen to the Spurs. I remember thinking that it was a good signing but he basically became a jumpshooting player who couldn't guard a chair. He caused Pop to start using Nellie ball and avoid traditional lineups. He caused Pop to start devaluing Bowen's contributions on defense. He caused Manu to become a sixth man because he was useless in the second unit. He didn't know when his time was up and kept stealing money. I was glad when he left in '10. Pop still wanted to use him as the starting pf.

ace3g
01-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Spurs notebook: Splitter’s lessons crafted on court

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/22/spurs-notebook-splitters-lessons-crafted-on-court/

angelbelow
01-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Finley was the worst thing to happen to the Spurs. I remember thinking that it was a good signing but he basically became a jumpshooting player who couldn't guard a chair. He caused Pop to start using Nellie ball and avoid traditional lineups. He caused Pop to start devaluing Bowen's contributions on defense. He caused Manu to become a sixth man because he was useless in the second unit. He didn't know when his time was up and kept stealing money. I was glad when he left in '10. Pop still wanted to use him as the starting pf.

To be fair, the Manu sixth man experiment became popular in 2005 playoff series against the Sonics. Pop wanted to create "offense from the bench."

But I agree with everything else. I was so happy when we beat out the Suns, heat and the Bulls for Finley but ultimately things went south.

Blake
01-23-2012, 01:50 AM

shhh girl

Blake
01-23-2012, 01:56 AM
No, wannabe chump imitator (and that's not saying much), it's just what I said, he went away from what won us those games in the regular season. Nothing about Raptors, nothing about anything else you wanna paint it to be. We were specifically talking about 2006 playoffs. He went away from what got him there. That's all. It's fact.

What did Pop get away from in last year's playoff series that won him 61 during the regular season?

Blake
01-23-2012, 02:00 AM

What a shitty coaching move by Pop to tell Nazr to commit 4 fouls in 11 (12) minutes.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 02:28 AM
What a shitty coaching move by Pop to tell Nazr to commit 4 fouls in 11 (12) minutes.

Barry had 5 personals but logged 25 minutes. What's your point?

Blake
01-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Barry had 5 personals but logged 25 minutes. What's your point?

That it was a shitty coaching move.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 02:33 AM
What did Pop get away from in last year's playoff series that won him 61 during the regular season?

Benching Blair and going with Tiago would be one. Benching Jefferson would be another.

But he's talking about 2006... so not sure where this season comes from...

SA210
01-23-2012, 02:54 AM

It's funny that your idol is Chump. It's funny that you think you have a bunch of "gotcha" questions when you actually don't. But I'll answer the condescending question anyway.

Pop continued small ball from 2006 to present. The 61 win season last year was fools gold. It was similar to the regular season champions the Mavs and Suns used to be before, all offense, no defense, then they would falter in the playoffs. When the playoffs come around, you need defense, we didn't have it. It was recipe for disaster because Pop chose a different type of system than years past. We had a big in 2006, didn't utilize him in the playoffs, we lost. We had a big last year in the playoffs, didn't use him.

This conversation should have been dead the first time you ever said anything at all, because you already know all of this, you know our answers and you will stay on course with yours. We disagree and you want to be chump so badly, we get it. But you're still wrong.

SA210
01-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Benching Blair and going with Tiago would be one. Benching Jefferson would be another.

Yea exactly, he knows, he's just trying to be funny and impress his idol.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:00 AM

not sure why you can't keep up.

it's just what I said, he went away from what won us those games in the regular season......He went away from what got him there. That's all. It's fact.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:04 AM
The 61 win season last year was fools gold.

rofl

what kind of metal was it in 2006?

SA210
01-23-2012, 03:06 AM
rofl

what kind of metal was it in 2006?

A defensive big

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:08 AM
A defensive big

SA210's gold

TJastal
01-23-2012, 03:20 AM
It's funny that your idol is Chump. It's funny that you think you have a bunch of "gotcha" questions when you actually don't. But I'll answer the condescending question anyway.

Pop continued small ball from 2006 to present. The 61 win season last year was fools gold. It was similar to the regular season champions the Mavs and Suns used to be before, all offense, no defense, then they would falter in the playoffs. When the playoffs come around, you need defense, we didn't have it. It was recipe for disaster because Pop chose a different type of system than years past. We had a big in 2006, didn't utilize him in the playoffs, we lost. We had a big last year in the playoffs, didn't use him.

This conversation should have been dead the first time you ever said anything at all, because you already know all of this, you know our answers and you will stay on course with yours. We disagree and you want to be chump so badly, we get it. But you're still wrong.

He's learned well from his idol. Just keep spewing the same old b.s. and pretend your making sense. The only thing lacking now is a peanut gallery to follow him around the forum and flame his adversaries. Maybe he'll get one @ 50k posts as a bonus.

Ice009
01-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Spurs notebook: Splitter’s lessons crafted on court

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/22/spurs-notebook-splitters-lessons-crafted-on-court/

Quote from Tiago in that article : “You learn more when you play,” said Splitter, the 27-year-old Brazilian who appeared in just 60 games as a rookie. “You learn from what you see every day and get a feel for the game.”

exactly why we've wanted these guys to play.

“He basically didn’t play last year, so it’s all new to him,” Popovich said. “He’s a student. He watches film, he understands players. He’s a quick learner.”

So why don't you play him then Pop?

SA210
01-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote from Tiago in that article : “You learn more when you play,” said Splitter, the 27-year-old Brazilian who appeared in just 60 games as a rookie. “You learn from what you see every day and get a feel for the game.”

exactly why we've wanted these guys to play.

“He basically didn’t play last year, so it’s all new to him,” Popovich said. “He’s a student. He watches film, he understands players. He’s a quick learner.”

So why don't you play him then Pop?

Who knows, maybe Pop said some more crappy stuff about Tiago in that article too and maybe they didn't print that part :lol Just like the original article in the OP.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM

I can only imagine the shit-eating grin Pop had on when he said that. Would love to see some reporter grow a pair and confront him next time.

silverblk mystix
01-23-2012, 06:14 AM
:pop:"I am getting a little misty-eyed just watching Blake and Cumdumpster fight the fight for me...you mean guys just wait...Blakey, Cumdump, Matty & I are throwing a party for the ages....and YOU MEAN GUYS ARE NOT INVITED!!!"

jag
01-23-2012, 08:24 AM

ElNono
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
not sure why you can't keep up.

Now sure why don't you quote the whole thing...

shhh girl

ElNono
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Actually, Chump has regularly good takes when not trolling, IMO.

Blake
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Now sure why don't you quote the whole thing...

didn't need to in order to further confirm my suspicions...

ElNono
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
didn't need to in order to further confirm my suspicions...

That your trolling sucks? Confirmed.

shhh girl

vy65
01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
lol sissy cuck
lol retarded version of chump

DPG21920
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM

SA210
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM

shhh girl

It confirmed his suspicions? There's nothing to suspect, everyone knows what happened lol

jag
01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
lol sissy cuck
lol retarded version of chump

:lol It's hard to watch sometimes.

Blake
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM

shhh girl

Don't really disagree. Most of this butthurt looks self inflicted.

shhh troll

Blake
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

It confirmed his suspicions? There's nothing to suspect, everyone knows what happened lol

It confirmed my suspicion that you are just bitching to bitch. :tu

SA210
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
It confirmed my suspicion that you are just bitching to bitch. :tu

No, I gave facts. The only other thing that's very clear is that you are bitching about the majority of people posting about those same facts. :lol

Blake
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
:lol It's hard to watch sometimes.

But you just can't go without getting in some morning irritation.

Funny to watch the irritation, imo.

Blake
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
No, I gave facts. The only other thing that's very clear is that you are bitching about the majority of people posting about those same facts. :lol

The fact is that you are bitching that Pop changed up the playoff lineup in 2006 after winning 60+ games.

You are now bitching that Pop kept the lineup basically the same during the playoffs in 2011 after winning 60+ games.

Just further confirmation you are bitching just to bitch, imo.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't really disagree. Most of this butthurt looks self inflicted.

shhh troll

Who's bitching now?

shhh girl

vy65
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
shhh girl

Is that what the dude who's banging your wife tells her as he lays pipe, so as to not wake you up as you sleep on the couch tbh?

SA210
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
The fact is that you are bitching that Pop changed up the playoff lineup in 2006 after winning 60+ games.

You are now bitching that Pop kept the lineup basically the same during the playoffs in 2011 after winning 60+ games.

Not really :lol but it's hilarious witnessing how irritated you get, considering the majority disagree with you.

jag
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
It takes a special kind of person to get shit on by everyone in a thread, and still carry on completely oblivious to the doo running down their face. We've all seen it before though; there's always one.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Except Pop didn't keep the lineup the same. He suddenly inserted Splitter when it finally became obvious to him that Gasol and Randolph were killing Blair and Dice. 2006 was taking a team built for the playoffs and removing their interior defense and rebounding. 2011 was taking a team built for the regular season into a bad playoff matchup.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Except Pop didn't keep the lineup the same. He suddenly inserted Splitter when it finally became obvious to him that Gasol and Randolph were killing Blair and Dice. 2006 was taking a team built for the playoffs and removing their interior defense and rebounding. 2011 was taking a team built for the regular season into a bad playoff matchup.

Not to nitpick, but don't forget Bonner got roasted over a fire too. Probaby even worse than both Blair and Dice combined.

EricD
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Pop needs to fuckin wake up already.

Too bad none of the knowledgeable experts here on ST, like myself, don't have the credentials to ask Pop these questions on a daily basis.

It's too bad the media in SA is full of Pop yes-men. Yes, i'm talking to you Jeff McDonald, Mike Monroe and even some of the soft 48moh crew.

Get a clue already!

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Not to nitpick, but don't forget Bonner got roasted over a fire too. Probaby even worse than both Blair and Dice combined.

Bonner got roasted, but I'm not convinced that it ever actually became obvious to Pop that it was happening, particularly since it wasn't anything different than has been happening for five years.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Who's bitching now?

I haven't counted up all the people bitching in this thread.

I know who's trolling now.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Not really :lol but it's hilarious witnessing how irritated you get, considering the majority disagree with you.

I'm certainly not irritated, however you certainly got butthurt after I questioned your "facts".

It's right here in this thread.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
It takes a special kind of person to get shit on by everyone in a thread, and still carry on completely oblivious to the doo running down their face. We've all seen it before though; there's always one.

U irritated.

Still seeing it.

Blake
01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
2006 was taking a team built for the playoffs and removing their interior defense and rebounding.

remarkable interior defense and rebounding in these regular season games:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200604070SAS.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200512010DAL.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200603020SAS.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200511050DAL.html

SA210
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm certainly not irritated, however you certainly got butthurt after I questioned your "facts".

It's right here in this thread.

:lol Your stupidity makes me laugh. It's funny how you're so butt hurt that the majority disagree with you and how you have been wrong this whole time and how you try to twist and turn things around just to try to seem as if you might have a point. haha

SA210
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

:lol He already knows all this, and he knows that's what I was saying too. He's just butt hurt and irritated about the truth, so he has to do his best trolling effort to be someone else.

Blake
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
:lol Your stupidity makes me laugh. It's funny how you're so butt hurt that the majority disagree with you and how you have been wrong this whole time and how you try to twist and turn things around just to try to seem as if you might have a point. haha

:lol :lol your "facts" that Pop sucks make me laugh more.

haha

ha

Blake
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
:lol He already knows all this, and he knows that's what I was saying too. He's just butt hurt and irritated about the truth, so he has to do his best trolling effort to be someone else.

I know exactly what you implied: Smaller ball without Nazr or Rasho is fool's gold.

At least you can walk away from this knowing that there are many of you riding the 2006 Rasho/Nazr nutsack.

SA210
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
:lol You're still butthurt.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I haven't counted up all the people bitching in this thread.

Don't forget to count yourself :tu

I know who's trolling now.

:lol you calling anybody a troll

DisAsTerBot
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM

where is koriwhat?

rmt
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
"not fair to the others"? What's not fair to them is when they again get their a**** handed to them in the first round of the playoffs.

Blue collar - that's for players like Nick Collison, Oberto, garbage players who clean up misses - not someone who can go 25/11/4 in 31 minutes (when given the chance).

After Pop told Westbrooke and Griffin - don't expect much pt in the All-Star game, you'd think he's got something against those who haven't paid their dues. So it's all the more baffling that Leonard gets so much playing time while Splitter who's much more experienced than he is - gets last big man minutes. I guess Pop thinks he's put in his dues and can do whatever he wants and unfortunately, the press/media is letting him get away with it. Can't stand people who don't learn from their mistakes (MEM).

therealtruth
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
"not fair to the others"? What's not fair to them is when they again get their a**** handed to them in the first round of the playoffs.

Blue collar - that's for players like Nick Collison, Oberto, garbage players who clean up misses - not someone who can go 25/11/4 in 31 minutes (when given the chance).

After Pop told Westbrooke and Griffin - don't expect much pt in the All-Star game, you'd think he's got something against those who haven't paid their dues. So it's all the more baffling that Leonard gets so much playing time while Splitter who's much more experienced than he is - gets last big man minutes. I guess Pop thinks he's put in his dues and can do whatever he wants and unfortunately, the press/media is letting him get away with it. Can't stand people who don't learn from their mistakes (MEM).

Pop has been saying stupid stuff for the last couple of years like his "centerpiece" talk. If Pop had any decency he would step down or admit making mistakes. But he just keeps getting more stubborn and proud. I'm sure if Splitter had gotten more burn last year the last game wouldn't have been his first 20 and 10 game. Pop retardedly held back his development to the hurt of the team. Bonner does not have that upside. 20 and 10 will win a playoff series for you like Zach Randolph showed not a streaky three point shooter who shrinks from the moment.

MaNu4Tres
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
LOL @ Bonner being first big off the bench.

WTF is Pop's problem.

timvp
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
:lol @ Bonner being the first bigman off the bench.

Pop may very well be trolling Spurs fans.

timtonymanu
This is getting so fucking ridiculous.

taps
Splitter playing 10 more minutes a night means less minutes for turd towers regardless of whether he starts

dbestpro
01-23-2012, 08:26 PM
So I wonder between Blair and Bonner who is more deserving of the nickname borehog tit.

urunobili
01-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a new theory of why Pop doesn't play Tim and Tiago together. Just like the public belief he confessed with Scola, Pop believes Tiago gets on Tim's spots that's why they dont work well together in theory... :rolleyes

timvp
01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Ugh. Pop finally put Duncan and Splitter in together and the offense looked horrible.

Now Pop has an excuse not to try it again for another few weeks.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Well you can't actually play the guy because he might prove you wrong.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Ugh. Pop finally put Duncan and Splitter in together and the offense looked horrible.

Two big guys in the post is really nice to launch jumpers over the top of.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 09:10 PM

I thought it was no more horrible that when Blair was out there... what I was looking forward but didn't happen was a couple stops...

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm re-watching it at the moment and I've seen one of them touch the ball on offense once. Everything has been a jumper.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
solid line for Tiago in that 1st half too...

12 mins, 8 points, 4 boards, 1 steal

Cant_Be_Faded
01-23-2012, 09:16 PM
The offense definitely slowed down, but the defense tightened up.

The best the offense looked, RJ pissed away an open 3 for a travel TO.

Quite frankly, I still don't get why they don't keep Splitter low, feed him, and have Duncan up top for jumpers. Why make both of them get on the low block?

Duncan can hit that jumper, and Tiago was showing us yet again he can score down low.

Puzzling.

MaNu4Tres
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm re-watching it at the moment and I've seen one of them touch the ball on offense once. Everything has been a jumper.

Tony was forcing the issue a bit more with Tim and Tiago on the floor (Why? I'm not too sure).

Whenever Tim and Tiago are on the floor, I'd like to see Tony go to Tiago on the block more so than Duncan.

timtonymanu
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Good stats for a guy that's not that skilled.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
ok im just going to say this while were in halftime cause im bored here in the lockerroom but lets be honest pop me odeia porque eu estou com bom aspecto tão bonito e depois em cima do parecer que aa russa, mas não sou assim ele odeia que im praticamente uma bad ass em todos os níveis" alright gotta play!! this is the only the last thing i can think of to hold my minutes.. its that bad

BRs.Ganso
01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Good stats for a guy that's not that skilled.

:lol:lol:lol:lmao

MaNu4Tres
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Expect 6 minutes from Tiago in the 4th. Which would give him 16 of 48 minutes for the game.

:pctoss

ace3g
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
0 minutes in the 3rd quarter vs the Hornets...

angelbelow
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
0 minutes in the 3rd quarter vs the Hornets...

No idea why Pop thought that was a good idea. Why rest him the entire 3rd only to play him the entire 4th. Seemed like splitter 16/18 minutes between the 2 quarters would have been more efficient.

timtonymanu
01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
It's obvious Splitter is the 3rd best player after Tim and Tony with Manu out.

But Pop treats him like he's Hamad Haddadi.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Can't complain today... at least Pop gave it a shot with both on the floor to close the game... Tiago could've sealed the game with that blocked dunk

MaNu4Tres
01-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Had Splitter converted that last dunk attempt, ST would have been in complete Tiago soak mode.

Love the aggression he's been playing with as of late.

Manu20
01-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Has Pop seen the light?? Maybe this the start of the Twin Towers?? :)

ElNono
01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't care who starts if they finish the game together

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
If Splitter had athletic ability he'd have finished that dunk.

InTheCrust
01-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I think Pop went reverse senile in the waning moments of tonight's game. When Duncan entered without Bonner, I wondered who would stretch the floor. Then it dawned on me. No one. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
Splitter is very very slow on those dunks, but you know what, he's still the best center we've had since Rasho

Buddy Holly
Can't complain today... at least Pop gave it a shot with both on the floor to close the game... Tiago could've sealed the game with that blocked dunk

You mean the foul?

Mugen
If Splitter had athletic ability he'd have finished that dunk.

If Splitter had athletic ability, Spurs would have never been able to draft him.

MaNu4Tres
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM

I thought the interior defense in the 4th was good overall (mainly when Tim/Tiago were on the court together in the last 5 minutes).

Hornets were just on fire from the outside and also converted a few lucky prayers as the clock expired (Vasquez 3:Okafor jumper).

I honestly think the only basket they scored in the paint in the last 5 minutes was that Jack reverse layup on the baseline after Tiago hedged the pick and roll really far out.

Hooks
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
In a post game interview with TP he said Tiago told him to give him the ball more Tony said he was surprised cause Tiago has never spoken out like that, it's great to hear Tiago being vocal like that.

jag
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
If Splitter had athletic ability, Spurs would have never been able to draft him.

Splitter's athleticism is incredibly underrated.

Mugen
01-23-2012, 10:29 PM

His lateral quickness is severely underrated, mostly by Pop. But as a leaper, he's pretty average.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Yes, I was just joking. It references another thread.

Obstructed_View
Mahinmi beasting for the Mavs ATM.

Quiet Strength
I know splitter wasn't able to get the dunk but I'm glad he tried.. I'm tired of watching someone on the spurs go up with a soft pathetic shot.. especially late in games.

DPG21920
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Hopefully this is the start of more Tiago Tim, but I fear it was just because Bonner was hurt, Blair was awful and NO had no stretch bigs.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Actually--Regarding Splitter this year

What's up with us not seeing so many charges drawn by Splitter this year?

Last year, in very limited minutes he seemed to draw lots of charges every time he was given PT. This year, I don't think I've seen him draw one all year!

Whatsupwiththat?

jag
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
His lateral quickness is severely underrated, mostly by Pop. But as a leaper, he's pretty average.

Yeah his leaping ability is about average. He's not good from a standing jump, but his max vert numbers aren't bad at all, especially when you start comparing him to "athletic" C's and PF's.

He has other athletic attributes though that are good for his size.