PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed...

xellos88330
01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
that since 2007 teams have been hitting Globetrotter-esque shots late in the shot clock, or making shots with terrible shot selection? It has really been annoying me. The Spurs would play superb defense when the shot goes up, but it is still 2-3points for the opposition. A couple of examples from last night.

Dragic Buzzer Beater in first half.
Dragic floater off of a deflected pass.
Lowry deep 3 with a much bigger/longer defender right in his grill. (Retarded shot selection too.)
Dalembert goofy looking shot while appearing to be pinned under the backboard.

This is just to name a few. I just think that statistically it is impossible for EVERY team in the NBA to be able to do this consistently against the Spurs, yet I have been witnessing it for a while. One can argue it is just plain 'ol bad luck, but now I am starting to doubt it. I am starting to believe that maybe its because the Spurs defense just isn't feared enough to put enough pressure on the shooters in those situations, and when the shot is taken the player is ultra confident?

Does this make sense to any of you? (Oh, and don't get me started on the refs this season. They have been KILLING me!)

Juggity
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Karma catching up to us after all those Neal/Green/Manu buzzer beaters.

eric365
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM

The clock didn't start at the right time for this one. He wouldn't had the time to run and shoot it otherwise

That remind me some 2004 play... So before 2007

Bill_Brasky
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Dragic being Dragic.

GoodOdor
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Or maybe it's just that the spurs don't play D anymore?

Giuseppe
01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Karma catching up to us after all those Neal/Green/Manu buzzer beaters.

Nothin' worse than when the worm turns.

xellos88330
01-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Or one showing up in a thread I made.

Get outta hear ya slimy Laker fan you. :D

xellos88330
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Or maybe it's just that the spurs don't play D anymore?

Those possessions were very well defended plays. The defense is there, its just the ball drops anyways. I don't mind the Spurs losing that way, but when it is consistently falling for EVERY team in EVERY game, it starts to really get on my nerves.

Horse
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
No shit, I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

cdcast
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM

What's it feel like 'Seppe, just hours till the cleansing.

tick tick tick tick

No last minute pardon for you pedo. Nuh uh.

Capt Bringdown
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Hopefully this thread will act as a jinx. But yeah, it seems like you can count on our opponents making half-court bombs these days.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Having weak interior defense is the reason. With the decline of TD and the loss of Horry and Oberto the Spurs haven't had any quality defensive big men. It makes a huge difference in a team's confidence when they know they can get any shot they want.

MI21
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
It's just a combination of shit defense, lack of length, players being confident from earlier made baskets due to the aforementioned shortcomings and the habit that a lot of Spurs players have picked up which is backing right off of shooters. (Parker, Blair, Bonner, Jefferson, Neal all do this horribly)

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
It's just a combination of shit defense, lack of length, players being confident from earlier made baskets due to the aforementioned shortcomings and the habit that a lot of Spurs players have picked up which is backing right off of shooters. (Parker, Blair, Bonner, Jefferson, Neal all do this horribly)

Good point. Defending jumpshots is about making shooters feeling uncomfortable. Bowen used to step under them. That's probably taking it a step too far but you have to be close enough that you can bother them.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
You start bad players to let your good players cover for them and let good shooters get wide open shots early. The result is those shooters get confidence and everyone has a good shooting night. Also, most NBA players will hit uncontested shots from surprising distances. The Michael Finley defensive strategy of "stand there watching the ball and hope it doesn't go in" doesn't work real well.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Good point. Defending jumpshots is about making shooters feeling uncomfortable. Bowen used to step under them. That's probably taking it a step too far but you have to be close enough that you can bother them.

Stepping under a jump shooter is a byproduct of aggressively challenging shooters. Bowen did one a lot because he did the other more than anyone else.

01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
the season is essentially the same as the last except the spurs aren't hitting any fluke shots or encountering fluke injuries that handicap the other team. it's still the no defense, high powered offense spurs from last year.

TE
01-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Teams just aren't afraid of the Spurs D anymore like in the past. And that fact is emboldened by severely incompetent coaching.

Juggity
01-23-2012, 01:43 AM

drPQkEsM8uM

mercos
01-23-2012, 02:11 AM
I have noticed opponents hitting a plethora of circus shots against us the past few seasons. We also seem to get a multitude of opposing players coming back from injuries and just skipping the whole rusty phase and lighting us up. (Dirk is next in line after his four games off.) Its as if the Spurs sold their souls to get those four titles and we are now paying the price.

ElNono
01-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Teams used to hit those bullshit shots before too... we were just a much more dominant team and those bullshit shots rarely determined the outcome of games... every game has been a battle since Manu been out...

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Good point. The bullshit shots used to be the only ones teams hit, and they rarely had any impact on the outcome of the game. When the other team's hitting 20 wide open jumpers then those 50/50 plays are the ones that sink you.

Fireball
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I already accepted that Kyle Lowry will make a three pointer where he was standing 1 meter behind the 3 point line and was defended ... we have one game left against the Rockets and he will do it again

therealtruth
01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I already accepted that Kyle Lowry will make a three pointer where he was standing 1 meter behind the 3 point line and was defended ... we have one game left against the Rockets and he will do it again

You've got to know player's tendencies. Kyle likes to do that at times. Another player who might shoot that far out is Chauncey Billups.

phxspurfan
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I have noticed, but also know that teams get up to play the Spurs. So it's understandable that in the most talented basketball league in the world, against a team everybody gets hyped to play based on reputation (and measure themselves against), that players would hit a higher percentage of BS shots. But yes they are BS. Perhaps we should change out the visitor rims to non-regulation size!

jwmann2
01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
that since 2007 teams have been hitting Globetrotter-esque shots late in the shot clock, or making shots with terrible shot selection? It has really been annoying me. The Spurs would play superb defense when the shot goes up, but it is still 2-3points for the opposition. A couple of examples from last night.

Dragic floater off of a deflected pass.
Lowry deep 3 with a much bigger/longer defender right in his grill. (Retarded shot selection too.)
Dalembert goofy looking shot while appearing to be pinned under the backboard.

This is just to name a few. I just think that statistically it is impossible for EVERY team in the NBA to be able to do this consistently against the Spurs, yet I have been witnessing it for a while. One can argue it is just plain 'ol bad luck, but now I am starting to doubt it. I am starting to believe that maybe its because the Spurs defense just isn't feared enough to put enough pressure on the shooters in those situations, and when the shot is taken the player is ultra confident?

Does this make sense to any of you? (Oh, and don't get me started on the refs this season. They have been KILLING me!)

Happens to every team. You are likely just watching the Spurs every single night and pay extra close attention to what's going on. But when the Wolves and Wizards are playing, you could care less.