PDA

View Full Version : Fajitas

MannyIsGod
06-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Best place in town to get fajitas to grill?

E20
06-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Taco Bell?

ZStomp
06-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Manny...I don't cook out too much..if at all. But last week my roommate and I did and bought the fajitas (already marinated) from HEB and they were extremely good.

Give 'em a try. :)

MannyIsGod
06-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I got those last time and they were good, I was just wondering where else people get them.

maxpower
06-18-2005, 12:18 PM
That's about it...otherwise it's up to you to marinate your fresh cuts. There are other marinated brands I imagine but pound for pound, buck for buck I don't think HEB can be beat at least not in San Antonio.

MannyIsGod
06-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I could marrinate them and may end up doing so, but if not I'll just get those. They weren't bad last time I made them.

ObiwanGinobili
06-18-2005, 12:27 PM
no, the absolute best ones are from HEB. You can't get better than that.

walmart has a version... and it sucks. the only other option really is to DIY or just pick some up allready cooked.

I recommend Taqueria Vallerta on Blanco quite a few blocks south of Oblate.
they have a fajita grill plate special that is excellent beyond my ability to describe it. It comes with beef, chicken and shrimp (lots of shrimp) and you can get it for 1, 2 or 3 people. Word ot the wise = the 3 person palte will actually feed 5 with left overs. Comes with the best charro beans ever since they still have the chicarrones floating in them.

oh my god I am sooo hungry.

MannyIsGod
06-18-2005, 12:30 PM
My mom makes the best beans ever. I got a shitty grill yesterday, but I'm going to bust it out!

HEB does marinate them ok, but I think I'm leaning torwards doing it. Jekka makes some good marinades, so I have her to do that.

Vashner
06-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I like to put woody's cooking sauce on mine. HEB does have the best fresh beef around I agree with the others. They keep tighter control on the whole process from ranch to display case.

ObiwanGinobili
06-18-2005, 12:45 PM
when I do it myself I use:

lime juice, orange juice, 1/2 can lt beer or tequila, fajita seasoning, cumin, and fresh crushed pepper.

always comes out good.
and i marinate overnight.

desflood
06-18-2005, 12:49 PM
In Cali we had a local place that marinated with orange and lemon juice, cilantro, crushed pepper, garlic and onion. People came from 50 miles a way to buy the stuff, it tasted so good.

ididnotnothat
06-18-2005, 06:16 PM
HEB meats are the best.

whottt
06-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Straight Grape Juice is the best marinade...if you have never tried it you owe it to yourself to try it once. The flavor is out of this world.

KEDA
06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Manny,

there is a true meat market in New Braunfels called Granzin's

its on Old McQuenny drive between Bluebonnet Ford and Bluebonnet Jeep, behind the dealerships. They have a HUGE selection of everything, high quality products, competitive prices, and BAD ASS customer service. I took my dad up there a few weeks ago and he is hooked!

definatley worth the drive!

06-18-2005, 08:00 PM
KEDA, Granzin's also does killer wild game processing as well.

If I remember, all of HEB's packaged meats (fajitas/precooked brisket/etc) comes from Bolner's here in town.

Mr Dio
06-18-2005, 09:58 PM
In Cali we had a local place that marinated with orange and lemon juice, cilantro, crushed pepper, garlic and onion. People came from 50 miles a way to buy the stuff, it tasted so good.

Manny, try King Taco in East LA or Pico Rivera for Carne Asada.

Vashner
06-18-2005, 11:16 PM
KEDA, Granzin's also does killer wild game processing as well.

If I remember, all of HEB's packaged meats (fajitas/precooked brisket/etc) comes from Bolner's here in town.

Your talking about the pre marinated packaged stuff as far as bolners.

fraga
06-20-2005, 07:33 AM
"Pericos" on Bandera
"Chachos" on Callaghan

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I get mine at Bohlners Meat Market on South Flores (@ I-10) You can get them seasoned or unseasoned. I get mine seasoned...They are trimmed perfectly by hand, double tenderized in the scoring machine and then dry rubbed and put in plastic bags...get them a day or two before you want to cook them so that they self marinate in the spices...then get your grill as hot as you can...slap em on...as soon as juices start to show on top flip them and sear for about 2/3 the time you cooked them on the other side...yank em off and let them rest for about 5 minutes...then cut in 1/4" to 1/2" strips cross grain...they are fantastic...crisp on the outside but tender and juicy...they also have great seasoned chicken fajita breasts...plus get a couple links of "bobby's" regular sausage while you are there...just great stuff...

Uncle_Rico
06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
yup bohlners is the shit. or just marinate them yourself. heb, walmart whichever, they all suck.

MannyIsGod
06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I get mine at Bohlners Meat Market on South Flores (@ I-10) You can get them seasoned or unseasoned. I get mine seasoned...They are trimmed perfectly by hand, double tenderized in the scoring machine and then dry rubbed and put in plastic bags...get them a day or two before you want to cook them so that they self marinate in the spices...then get your grill as hot as you can...slap em on...as soon as juices start to show on top flip them and sear for about 2/3 the time you cooked them on the other side...yank em off and let them rest for about 5 minutes...then cut in 1/4" to 1/2" strips cross grain...they are fantastic...crisp on the outside but tender and juicy...they also have great seasoned chicken fajita breasts...plus get a couple links of "bobby's" regular sausage while you are there...just great stuff...
Awesome! I'll have to try that place out. You cook yours the way we like them, tender, juicy on the inside.

Jessica made a kick ass marinade this time around, and they came out pretty damn well. Made some margaritas and had some kick ass tacos on Saturday! I'm looking forward to the next time we grill already!

Uncle_Rico
06-20-2005, 08:54 AM
salt, pepper, bell peppers, ground cumin, garlic, onions, fresh lime juice, tequila. cant ever go wrong.