PDA

View Full Version : Are draft picks next year worth tanking for?

SpurNation
01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Drummond maybe. Yeah I know...not happening. And I don't see any player in that draft that could be considered the next Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard.

So who's the Spurs best prospect in next year's draft even if they lost enough games to be in the top 15? Would making the playoffs this year necessarily prevent them from acquiring an immediate impact big in next years draft?

Where does this team head sans Duncan in his prime and a weak interior defensive presence? Could they (even if they had the money) get an impact interior player via free agency to play in San Antonio? How would they sell it?

Could it be gone will be the days the Spurs are a top defensive team?

Sorry...I don't have a scenario or preference as to who. I just know it will need to happen for the Spurs to be realistic contenders for the near future.

xmas1997
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Davis, Sullinger, and Moultri to name a few.

baseline bum
01-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Damn, Gilchrist has been blowing up at Kentucky this year. I was really hoping the Spurs would be able to trade up and get him in the late lottery, but I think he's playing himself into being a top 5-7 pick now. :depressed

If it wasn't for Leonard being here I might be inclined to see the team try to trade up to land Quincy Miller from Baylor, torn ACL and all. Rivers is a tantalizing 15-20 pick as some instant offense off the bench if he doesn't pull out of this class.

analyzed
01-23-2012, 12:45 AM
The Spurs are making the playoff, I say they trade Anderson now and Blair in the off season to move up the draft. (11 -15th pick) . I do believe there will be takers

rascal
01-23-2012, 05:38 AM
They tanked the last game. No way you sit Duncan for the entire game for rest.
Duncan could have come in the 4th quarter of the last game just to try to get that win.

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2012, 06:51 AM
a bit too late to be tankn when the wiz already has a head start

Mal
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
There is no way Spurs getting into lottery, when Manu comes back. Big 3, playing 80% of games together for the rest of the season, mean Spurs are in post season.

There isnt any prospect worth tanking season.

Drummond could be a beast, but he is raw so far.
Rivers is poor man James Harden. He could be nice pick up with 17-20 pick.
Kentucky guys will go in TOP 10.
Zeller is nice.

SenorSpur
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
It's highly doubtful that the Spurs will be able to get into the lottery, however I'm also not going to sit here and proclaim them as a lock for the playoffs either. This is a mediocre team, with or without Manu. The fact that Manu is out for a prolonged period of time, means the Spurs are struggling, and sometime losing, against teams they would otherwise be victorious against.

That said, landing a 5th-8th seed in the playoffs and becoming first round fodder, IS NOT going to solve the most glaring weakness on this team - the lack of quality and depth on the frontline. The best way for them to get better is to not make the playoffs and secure as high of a pick as possible in next years draft - which, by the way, is considered to be a very deep draft. I don't think they will need to do anything as deliberate as tanking because I believe they will be a borderline non-playoff team.

As for the draft, the primary names I'm keeping my eye on are Meyers Leonard (Illinois), Mason Plumlee (Duke) and my personal favorite Festus Ezeli (Vanderbilt). For good measure, I'm also throwing in potential second round developmental prospects like Augusto Cesar Lima (Brazil), Negueba Samake (France) and Lucas Nogueira (Brazil).

I do so because the Spurs are currently stacked on the perimeter and have the rights to a couple of other perimeter prospects abroad. However, the FO has long neglected stocking up on potential bigs, while letting some simply walk away (don't get me started there). Therefore because they are so very thin on the frontline, it's now time for them to throw as many bodies at that position, as possible.

baseline bum
01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
There is no way Spurs getting into lottery, when Manu comes back. Big 3, playing 80% of games together for the rest of the season, mean Spurs are in post season.

There isnt any prospect worth tanking season.

Drummond could be a beast, but he is raw so far.
Rivers is poor man James Harden. He could be nice pick up with 17-20 pick.
Kentucky guys will go in TOP 10.
Zeller is nice.

I have found Drummond to be so disappointing this season. His stats are good for an 18 year-old bigman and all, but he came into this season looking like one of the best passing bigman prospects in long time, but I'm seeing none of that at UConn. He looked like he could have been another Webber in high school, but that court awareness doesn't seem to be there whenever I watch him now. I was so high on this guy's upside, but he's starting to look like just a big body with good athleticism.

baseline bum
01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I would love Sullinger on the Spurs, but we all know that wouldn't happen b/c it actually makes sense! :downspin:

How does Sullinger make any sense though? There is no way the team can lose enough games to get in the top 5 to pick him.

simba80328
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I would love Sullinger on the Spurs. Immediate production because he is older and would transition better to the NBA

dunkman
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
The Spurs will win the "lottery" if they sign Dwight Howard as FA.
With the Spurs he would win championships.

Johnny RIngo
01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
The Spurs will win the "lottery" if they sign Dwight Howard as FA.
With the Spurs he would win championships.

As if Dwight would ever come to SA.

Mal
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
As if Dwight would ever come to SA.

Spurs are sleeper in this deal, shhhh

GSH
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Drummond maybe. Yeah I know...not happening. And I don't see any player in that draft that could be considered the next Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard.

So who's the Spurs best prospect in next year's draft even if they lost enough games to be in the top 15? Would making the playoffs this year necessarily prevent them from acquiring an immediate impact big in next years draft?

Where does this team head sans Duncan in his prime and a weak interior defensive presence? Could they (even if they had the money) get an impact interior player via free agency to play in San Antonio? How would they sell it?

Could it be gone will be the days the Spurs are a top defensive team?

Sorry...I don't have a scenario or preference as to who. I just know it will need to happen for the Spurs to be realistic contenders for the near future.

There are some good players in this draft, several of which have decent size. I guess the question is how deep or top-heavy it is. But no matter what, the likelihood of getting a great player outside of the top 5-6 is pretty slim. And the kind of player people here are REALLY looking for? Think top 3 picks - with very, very few exceptions. (And keep in mind that being the worst team doesn't guarantee the best pick.)

So is that worth tanking for? Well in the last dozen or so years, EVERY team in the league has gotten a talent infusion from at least one bad season and high draft pick. In the salary cap era, when you're not getting that talent infusion, you're ultimately losing a little bit every year. The Spurs have done an incredible job of managing talent and the salary cap. But what you're seeing right now is the inevitible result of a prolonged seepage.

Whether they tank intentionally or not, eventually it's going to happen. Otherwise you're left with a group of grizzled old vets, low draft pick talent, and surprise walk-ons. All of those guys might be good.. considering who and what (and when) they are. But they aren't going to have the same juice as the top 3-4 guys out of every draft, who are spread around on most all of the other teams.

mercos
01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't been keeping up to much with college basketball to know what prospects are out there, but I haven't seen anyone's hype seeping into the mainstream media like a Lebron James or Derrick Rose. That said, I do not believe it is worth tanking to get a high pick. The Spurs have been doing pretty decent with their picks. My only complaint is that they don't bring over some of their European talent quick enough (Splitter) but sometimes that is out of their control.

Trill Clinton
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't get get the hype behind sullinger. looks like another undersized big to me.

SpurNation
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much for the great info and opinions. Several college players I never even heard of I guess I need to follow closer.

As a long time fan, I suffered through the "almost" years and enjoyed the greatness of the championship years. Now...as most fans have to suffer through... these situations of the declining years of a dynasty hoping for some sort of luck and well managed opportunities which lands us another all around gifted and talented player to help continue that winning tradition.

xmas1997
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Either one of the the Zeller brothers, Tyler or Cody, intrigue me as does Leonard, he could turn into a force down under or on the perimeter.

Mr Fundamental
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
John Henson would be nice on Spurs.

baseline bum
01-25-2012, 11:44 AM
If the Spurs could get Henson with a late teens or early 20s pick, it would be a really interesting gamble. I could see him slipping there because of his complete lack of an upper body despite him having such a ridiculous year too.

Blake
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
They tanked the last game. No way you sit Duncan for the entire game for rest.
Duncan could have come in the 4th quarter of the last game just to try to get that win.

If they are trying to tank, they are doing a terrible job at it

DesignatedT
01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Trade any combo of RJ, Bonner, Blair, Anderson for a good big man. Start Splitter and get Manu back and then make a run at this thing.

To answer your question no. there isn't anyone worth tanking for where we would most likely end up.

baseline bum
01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Trade any combo of RJ, Bonner, Blair, Anderson for a good big man.

Hey mister, I'll offer you the obligation to fulfill the remaining balance on my student loan, this dog turd I found on the ground, my Fossil watch, and some pocket lint for your Rolex.

SenorSpur
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
John Henson would be nice on Spurs.

I've not seen Henson at all, nor have I researched him. What is it that you like about him?

baseline bum
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I've not seen Henson at all, nor have I researched him. What is it that you like about him?

He is really long and has added a midrange shot this season. He has the upper body of a Rwandan refugee though, so I think he'll slip significantly off his projected top-10 pick status on draft day.

Mr Fundamental
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I've not seen Henson at all, nor have I researched him. What is it that you like about him?He is long and huge wingspan which we need on our team now.

He moves well, average jump shot, good defender and great shot blocker.

He is thin and that's the biggest problem about him. But if he isn't thin we couldn't pick him out of lottery pick :)

He has the potential to be a good NBA player. Want to see him in Spurs.

xmas1997
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
If I'm going to go for a tweener like Henson I would much rather have Moultri who has more upside. I prefer Leonard over either though.

TheCerebral1
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
If there was a guy I would tank for it's Perry Jones III, he has the size and the kind of game that you'd love to transition to heading post Duncan. I also am a fan of Davis. Sullinger seems a bit to small for the need area. Kidd-Gilchrist is interesting.

Spurtacus
01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
If we go 12-54 then we have a shot at a top 3 pick.

In other words its too late to discuss tanking this season when teams like the Hornets, Bobcats, Wizards are turrible.

We will be picking in the 20s again. Perhaps Spurs can make another move to move up the draft.

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Not sure I understand how the lottery works.
If 16 teams make the playoffs out of 30 teams, that leaves 14 teams qualifying for the lottery, right?

Or is it the worst ten teams the only ones who get in the lottery? And if so, where do those 4 teams that were left out of the lottery place in the draft?

Also, if the Spurs manage to make the playoffs with say the worst record of all the playoff teams, where would they be in the draft, number 15?

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Not sure I understand how the lottery works.
If 16 teams make the playoffs out of 30 teams, that leaves 14 teams qualifying for the lottery, right?

Or is it the worst ten teams the only ones who get in the lottery? And if so, where do those 4 teams that were left out of the lottery place in the draft?

Also, if the Spurs manage to make the playoffs with say the worst record of all the playoff teams, where would they be in the draft, number 15?

All 14 teams who don't make the playoffs are in the lottery. The team with the worse record will have the highest probability of landing the #1 pick in the draft (odds @ 25% of getting the 1st pick.)

1. 250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
2. 199 combinations, 19.9% chance
3. 156 combinations, 15.6% chance
4. 119 combinations, 11.9% chance
5. 88 combinations, 8.8% chance
6. 63 combinations, 6.3% chance
7. 43 combinations, 4.3% chance
8. 28 combinations, 2.8% chance
9. 17 combinations, 1.7% chance
10. 11 combinations, 1.1% chance
11. 8 combinations, 0.8% chance
12. 7 combinations, 0.7% chance
13. 6 combinations, 0.6% chance
14. 5 combinations, 0.5% chance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nba_draft_lottery

Playoff teams are ineligible for the lottery but the playoff team with the worse record (with tie breakers factored in) will get the 15th pick. (Not 100% sure about this part, just an assumption.)

8FOR!3
01-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't get get the hype behind sullinger. looks like another undersized big to me.

Sullinger has very decent size. He's not a 7 footer, but he's also not undersized.

rascal
01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
If they are trying to tank, they are doing a terrible job at it

They aren't trying to tank. They just tanked that game.

Caeman
01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Jones is lazy, and dumb, not a player the spurs will likely target unless he falls way down the draft. Sullinger is anothr Brand without the shot blocking. Davis would be my pick, Kidd Gilchrist is a nice player with star upside.

Likely the spurs get the 14th pick-16th pick, Moultrie, Beal, Rivers maybe Wrotten or T Jones has an outside shot.......Ross from Washington is also interesting in that area.

Spurs should be in good shape next year if we play our cards right we could be a real player next year. Adding a Moultrie to a front line with Splitter TD, and add Richards I think we could really do well.

It's nice to see that someone around here watches some Pac-12 basketball or at least some Husky basketball.

You are correct, Wrotten and Ross are capable of contributing to any NBA team, including the Spurs. However, there is someone else on that team that interest me as well. That is CJ Wilcox.

Wrotten is the youngest of the three but argubly the most complete player of the group. However, one of his best abilities (passing) is nullified by the fact that he is prone to turning the ball over. This is something that he should clean up with experience, but I get the impression that Wrotten wants to wow everyone (including himself). Unfortunately, it means he's prone to turning the ball over. Despite this drawback, he is a great slasher, has great vision, and has great confidence out on the court. I saw yesterday on ESPN (UW v Arizona) that he was 6th man on Bilas' freshman team so he's not completely unnoticed around the country. If he works on his shot and cleans up his passing he'll put himself in a position to play well in the NBA.

Ross is the most atheletic of the group. You should see his face when he slashes or goes for a dunk. He's absolutely determinate and fierce when he does. Moreover, he has a lot of basketball skills and a nice shot to compliment his athleticism. In fact, without his plays at the end of the game yesterday it's possible the game could have slipped away from UW. However, he made a jumper from long range (2pt) and a nice drive to seal the game for UW.

CJ Wilcox is the best shooter of the group and on the team. The guy has one of the sweetest jumpshots I've ever seen. He never concerns himself with shot blockers. He simply strokes the ball the same everytime. I love this about him because it illustrates how confidence he is in his shot. He knows that if he sees the basket and goes into his shot it should go in (regardless of how close the defender is or how small the shooting window is). I've also see Wilcox developing his game further. He can slash (allowing him to utilize screens well) and hit from inside the 3 point line as well. Plus, from what i've gathered he is a kid with a good head on his shoulders. I mean the kid grew up in Utah. He kind of has to be good because there's like 10 black people in the entire state (it's easy to stand out). In all seriousness though, he should be good off the court as well.

Anyways, this next draft should be interesting.

Carry on.

wildbill2u
01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
If the lottery positions were set today based on the standings today, we'd have the 18th pick.

I'm not sure we'll need to tank to move up past there with the roster hurt by injuries to Manu and Ford and so many games to be played in a compressed season.

So far, Pop has kept us in the playoff hunt using smoke and mirrors, although it is easy to see how Portland, Dallas, Memphis and the Lakers could move ahead of us in the standings and push us even higher in the draft.

We may not need to tank to get the best draft position we've "earned" in years.