Kawhi Leonard -9

Cory Joseph -28

jag
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
1) Jefferson needs more minutes.

2) Letting Ike Diogu go was a mistake.

WeNeedLength
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think these stats can show us anything really.

Oh but Manu should be at the top because he posted that +25 in about 5 games while everyone else had 15+ games for their's.

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
splitter > advance stats

Leetonidas
01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I thought we all knew plus/minus stats were bullshit due to Bonner usually posting the highest on the team

mercos
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
The +/- stat has to be taken with a grain of salt. There are to many variables that can affect it to use it reliably as an indicator of a player's impact on the game. This set of numbers kind of proves the point. Take Richard Jefferson as an example. Early in the season he had a meaningful impact on games, but lately he has been a flower pot out there. His +/- benefits from starting and playing along side Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

On the other end of the spectrum is Tiago Splitter. He usually has a pretty big impact when he enters the game, but since he plays with bench players and rarely gets to play with another quality big his +/- is not impressive. Advance stats have limitations.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I thought we all knew plus/minus stats were bullshit due to Bonner usually posting the highest on the team

Exactly, Jefferson's at the top of the list :lol

jimo2305
01-23-2012, 01:12 PM
"Richard Jefferson +64"

stopped reading :\

dbestpro
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
The worst player on the team can be on the floor with the four best and show great in this stat (RJ and Bonner), while a good player who is usally on the floor with the worse players on the team will not show as well (Splitter).

It is an accompaning stat that goes along with the visual. The most noted point is the drop off from Parker to Joseph is about as big a shift as there is in the NBA.

jesterbobman
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
The main problem with it individually is that it's a correlation based stat. Rather than taking individual contributions like rebounding, scoring, steals etc, it's just based on team performance, and is very noisy as a result. +/- is good for evaluating combinations of players(For instance, the sample size over the last few seasons in general tells us that a lineup with a floor spacing big man is hugely effective, even when that floor spacer is Bonner) but I don't think it's very helpful as a stat for evaluating individual players.

jag
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
The main problem with it individually is that it's a correlation based stat. Rather than taking individual contributions like rebounding, scoring, steals etc, it's just based on team performance, and is very noisy as a result. +/- is good for evaluating combinations of players(For instance, the sample size over the last few seasons in general tells us that a lineup with a floor spacing big man is hugely effective, even when that floor spacer is Bonner) but I don't think it's very helpful as a stat for evaluating individual players.

Good post

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
With all the blowouts in both directions for just about every team so far this season, take these with a grain of salt.