PDA

View Full Version : Rasho for Bonner: Who won this trade?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
:wakeup

baseline bum
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I have been saying Toronto won that trade for years.

jimo2305
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Still won a chip after the trade..

#jussayin'

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey man we also got Eric Williams and the pick that got us Dejuan.... So it was Raho for Matt and Dejuan and I say that trade was a piece of shit. Not only did we get a man who can spread the floor, but we also got one of the dumbest players in the NBA.

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Still won a chip after the trade..

#jussayin'

yea, with Francisco Elson starting.

Rasho was then still better than Elson, Oberto and even Horry.

baseline bum
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin

jjktkk
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Bonner.

jjktkk
01-23-2012, 03:23 PM

:wow

Bruno
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Spurs. Rasho was overpaid.

TJastal
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey man we also got Eric Williams and the pick that got us Dejuan.... So it was Raho for Matt and Dejuan and I say that trade was a piece of shit. Not only did we get a man who can spread the floor, but we also got one of the dumbest players in the NBA.

Wow didn't realize we got both of the turd towers out of that deal. That's almost Scola territory, tbh.

slick'81
01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
spurs won with presti being able to dump rashos horrible contract and get a end of the bench big to help the spurs.

then the spurs resigned bonner lol

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
spurs won with presti being able to dump rashos horrible contract and get a end of the bench big to help the spurs.

then the spurs resigned bonner lol

yea, with a horrible contract. I know Rasho was overpaid but Matt Bonner's way way way overpaid. His 3 year12 mil. contract is like a kick in the balls. I know the last year is unguaranteed but I'm sure Pop (if still here) will make it guaranteed.

Oh and btw, ROFLMAO Dick Jefferson.

timvp
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
The Spurs destroyed the Raptors in that trade. Rasho had three years and $23.5 million left on his contract and the Spurs not only salary dumped him, they go back a second round draft pick. Rasho was making at least double what he was worth yet somehow the Spurs got the Raptors to absorb his contract even though it ate away at free salary cap space. I still have no idea what Bryan Colangelo was thinking. How do you willfully throw away $8M of salary cap room on Rasho after seeing him regress so much in San Antonio?

The Spurs overpaying Bonner doesn't really factor into the trade. And the second round draft pick became McClinton, not Blair.

Rasho was a pretty good player but compare this trade to the Malik Rose trade. Malik was owed a similar amount of money yet it cost the Spurs two first round draft picks to salary dump him ... one of which turned into David Lee. And that's not even discussing how it cost the Spurs Luis Scola to salary dump Jackie Butler, who was on the books for 1/10th of Rasho's amount. As far as salary dumps go, the Rasho trade is the gold standard.

Donut
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Push. Its not like Toronto went into this trade thinking 'Gee, them dumb Spurs wanna trade away the franchise for pennies on the dollar.' They needed a big and got one. Its not like they were really going anywhere anyways. As for the Spurs, we got some nifty regular season 3 point shooting plus a title with each dude.

jesterbobman
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Agree with this, Rasho was a salary dump. Resigning Bonner doesn't factor into who won this trade. Players we got back don't matter, we save a ton of money.

When the Suns salary dumped Kurt Thomas(An Expiring contract, and a better player than Rasho was) they gave up 2 1st round picks. Giving nothing away with him makes it a great move.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Bonner contributed to more titles than Rasho did.

angelbelow
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Spurs did, we got rid of Rasho for 2 expiring contracts in Matty and Eric Williams. I was actually kind of excited about Williams providing some offense but he sucked shit.

If you don't factor in resigning Bonner, the Spurs absolutely made a nice deal.

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Really?? How?? It's 1-1

Sean Cagney
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Blasphemy, especially the last part there. I remember 05 we got Mohammed and that helped us win a title that year (Without him we don't win it all), Horry also had a role there! Rasho? What did he do that year? Stop it.

Bonner hardly left the bench in 07 playoffs, which to me is a huge the Spurs won the title :lol

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Blasphemy, especially the last part there. I remember 05 we got Mohammed and that helped us win a title that year (Without him we don't win it all), Horry also had a role there! Rasho? What did he do that year? Stop it.

I said that Rasho in 2007 would be still better than those guys. At least just as good as them.

angelbelow
01-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Really?? How?? It's 1-1

He, sarcastic.

Texas_Ranger
01-23-2012, 07:11 PM
He, sarcastic.

yea I thought he was, cause in playoffs/finals they both sucked.

SA210
01-23-2012, 08:09 PM

:lol

slick'81
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
some might forget but sa fans almost hated sho as much as bonner lol

better question might be who was worse with the contract they were given raslow or boner

Russ
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know the real story?

My assumption/understanding was that Bonner was just a throw-in by the two teams to make the salaries work.

Is that wrong or did the Spurs want Bonner at the time?

I was floored when the Spurs re-signed Bonner.

So did Bonner unexpectedly impress the Spurs or did they want him from the beginning?

slick'81
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM

My assumption/understanding was that Bonner was just a throw-in by the two teams to make the salaries work.

So did Bonner unexpectedly impress the Spurs or did they want him from the beginning?

e.williams never had a shot as a spur bonner was the piece the spurs were after
i think pop wanted more out of bonner then he can give lol

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Rasho was injured in 2005, and was gone by 2007.

Mr. Body
01-23-2012, 09:16 PM
The problem was resigning Bonner, but that wasn't part of the trade.

timvp
01-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Williams and Bonner were just salary filler. Shortly after the trade, RC was interviewed and he basically admitted the Spurs did the trade for financial reasons. He was asked about Bonner and said he didn't know much about him.

Darkwaters
01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Rasho was still due huge amounts of cash. Erik Williams and Bonner both had their contracts expire after that season. The Spurs won that trade hands down.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Rasho was still due huge amounts of cash. Erik Williams and Bonner both had their contracts expire after that season. The Spurs won that trade hands down.

True. And then they re-signed Bonner.

Sean Cagney
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
I said that Rasho in 2007 would be still better than those guys. At least just as good as them.

Horry hit some shots in 07 as well, Rasho never impressed me much and like someone said in here fans hated him! I called him a damn tree out there, stiff as hell! I was never high on this guy and he did not do that well here outside of 04 (He had an okay year), but I agree he is better than Bonner no doubt in 07 by default. Oberto played great position D and could pass the ball very well, played the game smart so he was a good fit for 07.

TJastal
01-24-2012, 08:04 AM
True. And then they re-signed Bonner.

:rollin

Talk about turning a positive into a negative!

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
It'd be something like trading Rj for Barbosa, Bayless and a 2nd round pick.If you like that trade, then you must like the Rasho for Bonner one.

Some desperate attempts for a dig at the FO in this thread, tbh.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2012, 06:32 PM
:rollin

Talk about turning a positive into a negative!

Well it would have been a curbstomping of a trade if it hadn't set the Spurs up to be shitty on the front line for the next several years.

ploto
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Who won this trade? Rasho did. :)

He got to live in Toronto and play for a fanbase that loved him. Now, he gets to play with his kids and be a basketball ambassador for Slovenia.

Spursfan092120
01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Spurs. Rasho was overpaid.

This

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2012, 08:51 PM
The Spurs destroyed the Raptors in that trade. Rasho had three years and $23.5 million left on his contract and the Spurs not only salary dumped him, they go back a second round draft pick. Rasho was making at least double what he was worth yet somehow the Spurs got the Raptors to absorb his contract even though it ate away at free salary cap space. I still have no idea what Bryan Colangelo was thinking. How do you willfully throw away $8M of salary cap room on Rasho after seeing him regress so much in San Antonio?

The Spurs overpaying Bonner doesn't really factor into the trade. And the second round draft pick became McClinton, not Blair.

Rasho was a pretty good player but compare this trade to the Malik Rose trade. Malik was owed a similar amount of money yet it cost the Spurs two first round draft picks to salary dump him ... one of which turned into David Lee. And that's not even discussing how it cost the Spurs Luis Scola to salary dump Jackie Butler, who was on the books for 1/10th of Rasho's amount. As far as salary dumps go, the Rasho trade is the gold standard.

compare rashos contract at the time to what bigs are gettin paid now...heck his better then the scrub bigs in t he game today earning his wages