PDA

View Full Version : 49ers' Kyle Williams received death threats after the game

DeadlyDynasty
01-24-2012, 02:32 AM
tbh I had no idea he was White Sox GM Kenny Williams's kid.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/id/7493708/2012-nfl-playoffs-san-francisco-49ers-kyle-williams-received-death-threats

Chicago White Sox general manager Kenny Williams questioned the "culture of sports" after his son Kyle received death threats on social media outlets following Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

Williams' son is the San Francisco 49ers wide receiver and kick returner who made two glaring miscues late in Sunday's game that helped the New York Giants advance to the Super Bowl.

Kenny Williams also said that his son was playing with an injured left shoulder Sunday, an injury that happened in the third quarter. Kenny Williams added that his family does not make excuses and did not blame his son's miscues on the injury.

Injury or not, some people were apparently outraged enough to wish harm to Kyle Williams after his two turnovers, the second of which led directly to the Giants' game-winning field goal.

One early threat, via Twitter, wished harm on Kyle Williams' wife and child. He is single with no children.

"I'm used to the years of criticism and threats on my life from time to time, but I have to hear about threats on your son's life while you're watching TV and it certainly makes you question our culture of sports as it stands," Kenny Williams said.

For his part, Kyle Williams said Monday he takes full responsibility for the fumble, calling the moment "painful." And Williams' teammates are on his side, too, along with others from around the NFL who have called in support after San Francisco's season ended.

He insisted it's part of his job to face the criticism in the aftermath of his mistakes and not hide out in a difficult time. Perhaps that will go a little way in calming down the angry fans, some of whom wished harm on Williams and his family after the gaffes.

"It's one of those things you have to take accountability for," Williams said. "Everybody is responsible for what they do on the field. It's something that I was responsible for and I made a mistake and it's time to own up to it and move forward."

Kicker David Akers took to Twitter on Monday asking people to stop with the harsh remarks directed toward his teammate, saying "ppl need to get a grip! Leave Kyle alone!" He also reminded everybody the NFC West-champion 49ers (14-4) win and lose together, so there would be no finger-pointing in the locker room.

"I'm irritated with the way people are treating him, absolutely," Akers said. "I think it's ridiculous. You know, get a grip on what life's about. He went out and he put his soul out there. That's what he does. He was not trying to do anything other than make an incredible play for this team. He had a great kickoff return. Mistakes happen. We all make mistakes. But when you're out there truly battling to do the best you can, my hat goes off to him, to anybody that does that."

49ers president and CEO Jed York also chose Twitter to support Williams, writing: "Keep your head up, @KyleWilliams_10. We win and lose as a team. With Class."

A year ago with the Eagles, Akers missed a pair of field goals in the NFC divisional playoffs as Philadelphia lost 21-16 to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.

"I was that guy last year," Akers said. "It's tough because we're all competitors and we all give it everything we have. Kyle's made a lot of big plays for us. He's just trying to make plays out there. The weather conditions were horrible. I know he'd never give any excuses for any of that. I say this and I say it in the truest way: We win as a team, we lose as a team."

Kenny Williams broached the subject of the death threats on his own after he was asked if Sunday was the toughest day he had ever experienced in sports. He said it was by a long shot.

"I told his mother on the way out exactly what was coming," Kenny Williams said about the threats. "That's the nature of the beast."

Kenny Williams said that NFL security swiftly moved into action and that all threats were being taken seriously.

He was asked if he was disappointed that sports fans would go to the extreme of making such threats.

"It doesn't matter what I think, I can't change it," Kenny Williams said. "The only way to change it is to go into another occupation if you can't deal with it."

Kenny Williams said that he not only thinks his son can handle the adversity from Sunday's game, but that it will help him to thrive in the long run. First things first, though, is to address the injury.

Kenny Williams confirmed that Kyle Williams was undergoing treatment Monday with the 49ers training staff for an unspecified shoulder injury.

"He thinks he may have separated his shoulder in the third quarter so he is in the training room," said Kenny Williams. "That information he has not said anything about publicly and will not because he felt strongly that he could get the job done. There are no excuses; we don't do that. I don't want that misconstrued."

In his season-ending news conference Monday, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh confirmed that Kyle Williams was examined for a shoulder injury.

"There's no separations, but he's very sore," Harbaugh said. "He told me that today. He was soldiering through it. I wasn't aware of it during the game."

Kyle Williams, a second-year player out of Arizona State, not only had the fumble in overtime, but early in the fourth quarter a rolling punt glanced off his knee. The Giants recovered that at the 49ers' 29-yard line and scored a go-ahead touchdown less than three minutes later.

Asked if the shoulder injury played a role in either of his son's miscues, Kenny Williams was blunt.

"He felt he could get the job done. He didn't. End of story," Kenny Williams said.

NewcastleKEG
01-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Guy should be released ASAP

DeadlyDynasty
01-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Was NewcastleKEG one of the Niners fans who lit up Kyle's twitter and fb with death threats? Here are some of his posts from the last 24 hours, and I'll let you be the judge:lol

Let me make this debate simple for you

Tell me who had a worse Playoff game in NFL History than Williams?

But all those guys made positive attributes to the game at some point

Williams did nothing positive and put the football on the ground 3 times

By far the worst game in NFL Playoff History. He single handily kept a team in the game & then won it for them. No player has ever gotten such a small role and yet did absolutely everything possible to blow the game.

Here is why Kyle Williams single handedly lost the game and should be cut immediately:
1. After a big defensive stop in the 4th quarter with the 49ers in the lead, Williams lets a punt go but hovers just close enough to the ball to let it hit him in the knee and the NY Giants pick it up. He then has the audacity to pretend like he didn’t know it hit him in the knee when the ball bounced off his knee cap. They teach you in pee wee football that if you’re not going to field a punt, you run in the opposite direction of the ball! Williams thought it was a good idea to hover close to a wildly bouncing ball with a bunch of Giants approaching him. The Giants recovered on San Francisco’s 29 yard line and scored a touchdown.

2. In overtime with the game on the line, Kyle Williams FUMBLES the punt after another great defensive stop. Williams did NOT tuck the ball upon catching it and as one, single Giant player came to tackle Williams the ball was knocked out. What do you expect to happen when you don’t protect the ball Kyle Williams?

3. In other mistakes Williams made that were not game threatening but still bone-head plays, he fumbled a double reverse when the ball was tossed right into his hands (the 49ers recovered).

4. In a horrendous calculation of risk versus reward, he dove forward to catch a punt with three Giants around him when the proper play was to let the ball go. Thankfully he did not lose the ball that time.
Thanks for single-handedly losing the San Francisco 49ers the NFC Championship Kyle Williams.

The worse part was Williams' explanation

''I was trying to make a play....''

YOU STUPID FKN BRAINLESS MONKEY! You didn't have to make a play, they couldn't stop the Niners rushing attack and they couldn't drive on the defense

What breaks? All the road (east coast) victories and come from behind wins. Best defense since the 2000 Ravens

As everyone is saying, this is the least talented roster that Harbaugh will have, hence bums like the monkey Kyle Williams

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kyle-Williams-Struggle.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/955264/Aj0NmKPCEAEPye5.jpg

jgome21
01-24-2012, 08:49 AM
People need to understand, in the end, this is just a game. Yeah, Williams f'd up. We all saw. These so called "fans" sending death threats are a disgrace.

JoeTait75
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Guy should be released ASAP

For his own good as well as that of the team's. Can he really come back and play in San Francisco after that fiasco?

NewcastleKEG
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
People need to understand, in the end, this is just a game. Yeah, Williams f'd up. We all saw. These so called "fans" sending death threats are a disgrace.
How is a multi billion dollar industry ''just a game''

Last I checked fans pay for the home, car and family well being of Williams. So now it's certainty not just a game. When NFL players start playing for free then your statement will be true

NewcastleKEG
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
For his own good as well as that of the team's. Can he really come back and play in San Francisco after that fiasco?
His post game thoughts reek of mentally weak player. Vernon Davis made 2 crucial mistakes in the game too but he made up for them. Williams is a bench player that wanted to be a HERO. I know the coaching staff preached team all year long and canning Williams will upset some in the locker room but wasn't Kyle's foolish actions anti-team?

JayTheClown
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
How is a multi billion dollar industry ''just a game''

Last I checked fans pay for the home, car and family well being of Williams. So now it's certainty not just a game. When NFL players start playing for free then your statement will be true

Still doesn't give the fans the right to threaten to kill him. That being said, I dont blame the fans for doing so. :lol You gotta make your own rights.

monosylab1k
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
:lol how come every time a player gets singled out for their own shitty performance, somehow it gets leaked that they were "injured"?

BUMP
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
:lol how come every time a player gets singled out for their own shitty performance, somehow it gets leaked that they were "injured"?

And I also don't see who Kenny Williams is trying to fool when he says "My son was injured by the way! But make no mistake, we are not making excuses!!"

That's just like saying "no offense but" right before saying something meant to be offensive

Sean Cagney
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM

That won't happen, some idiots take a game as if it's life! This is not that seriuos, yeah it sucks but my GOD death threats over a sports game.

BTW being a FINS fan I never thought I would see the day that I would say they lost because Ginn was out and he would have won this game! I can safely say he might fumble once but dude might also take one back! They lost from special teams play.

Spurtacus
01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/awwww-read-a-seven-year-olds-heart-melting-letter-to-kyle-williams?urn=nfl,wp17152

BlackSwordsMan
01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
School system failed that kid -- asshole can't even stay in between the lines.

NewcastleKEG
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
It hit your knee!

Get the fkn ball you empty head!

DeadlyDynasty
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
It hit your knee!

KEG, now that you've had ample time to cool off from last Sunday, are you ready to throw your support behind the NFC Champion New York Giants?

TIMMYtoZO
01-27-2012, 10:21 PM
It hit your knee!

:lmao:lmao This is still eating away at you.

BUMP
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
id be more surprised if he didnt get death threats

i bet most of those threats came from that classless "city" they call dallas