PDA

View Full Version : Like pop, or ride some other team's bandwagon!

ThaBigFundamental21
01-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm fairly sick of so called fans who make post after post bagging on Coach Pop. He has coached us to 4 titles. Sure we would all like more, but tell me how any other coach could do better with any of the teams pop has put on the court. He has always won with far less talent than most Championship coaches. Everyone seems to blame him for our front office's ineptitude at upgrading this roster. You act as if he makes the decisions and trades the players.

DisAsTerBot
01-24-2012, 10:22 AM
classic gnsf

cantthinkofanything
01-24-2012, 10:22 AM
You can't be serious.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
That's my troll, sorry guys

TJastal
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Pop does make most of the decisions regarding the team. He decides the trades, he decides who to draft, etc.

I'm not sure what RC Buford does tbh. Besides introduce the new draft picks and get drunk alot.

Nathan89
01-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm fairly sick of so called fans who make post after post bagging on Coach Pop. He has coached us to 4 titles. Sure we would all like more, but tell me how any other coach could do better with any of the teams pop has put on the court. He has always won with far less talent than most Championship coaches. Everyone seems to blame him for our front office's ineptitude at upgrading this roster. You act as if he makes the decisions and trades the players.

:stfu

Nathan89
01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
We prefer the bandwagon of a team that lost to the 8th seed in the first round.:rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2012, 10:38 AM
thebigfundamental21 wouldnt happen to be thefundamental21 troll?

SA210
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Pop does make most of the decisions regarding the team. He decides the trades, he decides who to draft, etc.

I'm not sure what RC Buford does tbh. Besides introduce the new draft picks and get drunk alot.

GSH
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Whatever.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112007.HarveyColumn.en.28ce78f.html
Their marriage has been successful, and it has been rocky. They've celebrated the best of times, and they've bickered as if divorce were possible.

They've done it for more than a decade, which is why Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford likely will stay together a while longer. They are used to each other.

But recent days also suggest they will have a few more things to argue about. Luis Scola showed the Spurs what they had given to Houston, and Beno Udrih showed what Spurs' scouts always thought was possible.

If the Spurs weren't fine right now — with a healthy roster in place to defend a championship — would Popovich and Buford require some counseling?

Money can affect any marriage, and Peter Holt's lack of it does. He ranks at the bottom of NBA owners in personal wealth, with an estimated worth of merely $30 million. Popovich and Buford work within his budget.

That's why moving Jackie Butler meant so much last summer. They had made a mistake on him, and they needed to trade the $5 million they owed him.

The Knicks eat contracts of that size for snacks between depositions. To Holt, everything matters, which is ultimately why the Spurs (http://www.chinaspurs.com) traded Scola to Houston. The Rockets were the only ones willing to take on Butler's contract.

Popovich had to be talked into the deal because it violated one of his rules: Never help a rival.

Shortly after, Scola starred in Vegas in Olympic qualifying, and another of Popovich's rules had been broken: Never make him mad.

The issue subsided when Scola didn't do much to start the season. But then Tracy McGrady went down to injury, and the Rockets began to pass, and Scola put up 20 points against the Spurs last week.

It's early, and the Spurs won the game. But Scola had been everything Popovich loves. He'd been active and tough, and making 10 of 11 shots didn't hurt, either.

Afterward, Popovich praised Scola, which is typical. But then Popovich said something else. "It kills me to have him on that team," Popovich said. "Enough to make you spit."

It was if Popovich was talking to Buford through the media. But his spit-prompting frustration confused. After all, doesn't Popovich have ultimate say in the franchise?

In this marriage, he does and he doesn't. Buford flies around the world, does the research, scouts the talent — and Popovich is often on the outside with no recourse but to second-guess.

GSH
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
And BTW - fucktards who condemn Buford for drinking, and then try and nominate Jerry Sloan for sainthood, really need a reality check.

dbestpro
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Pop is not for everyone. Too much carbonation.

GSH
01-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Pop is not for everyone. Too much carbonation.

To be really honest, I dislike the sonofabitch intensely. And I get sick of listening to his stupid interviews where he attacks the people who ask the questions, and gives really witty answers like "We didn't score as many points as them". I kind of enjoy listening to other coaches give real, insighful answers to questions - at least once in a while.

But I get just as tired of people saying that he makes his coaching decisions because he has a man-crush on Bonner, or Finley. Or that someone has compromising pictures of him. Or any of the other vapid, mind-rot, pablum that passes for commentary amongst supposed fans.

I get tired of people insisting that he makes all the personnel decisions, when he clearly doesn't. He was more than a little unhappy about the Scola trade. And even though he is part of personnel decisions, he still has to live within Holt's budget.

Argue all you want to. Slam the guy all you want to. But for fucks sake, at least TRY to get some facts in there somewhere. There's still plenty to complain about without all the mindlessly stupid shit.

TJastal
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
So we must forgive Pop because Holt wanted to sacrifice Scola to save 5 mil, yet he gets a pass on talking Holt into ponying up a combined 55 million for Jefferson and Bonner?

You're effectively telling us us he couldn't convince Holt that Scola was worth 5 mil but he had no problems getting Holt to sign off on Dick & Boner.

Uh, okay. Sure.

z0sa
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
If Pop wasn't so active in personnel decisions, I might have to agree. He is the 4 time champion and figurehead of the Spurs (along with Tim). But reality bites

objective
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
So we must forgive Pop because Holt wanted to sacrifice Scola to save 5 mil, yet he gets a pass on talking Holt into ponying up a combined 55 million for Jefferson and Bonner?

You're effectively telling us us he couldn't convince Holt that Scola was worth 5 mil but he had no problems getting Holt to sign off on Dick & Boner.

Uh, okay. Sure.

That's completely unfair.

Scola's first year salary was 2.91 million, not 5.

callo1
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Uh, okay. Sure.

This is the way to make a point. ^^^^^^^^^

Juggity
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I get tired of people insisting that he makes all the personnel decisions, when he clearly doesn't. He was more than a little unhappy about the Scola trade. And even though he is part of personnel decisions, he still has to live within Holt's budget.

Holt really is a large part of what's dragging the Spurs down. If he can't easily afford to operate an NBA team, he needs to sell the franchise to somebody who can.

urunobili
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Splitter less than 27 minutes per game says hi...

TJastal
01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Holt really is a large part of what's dragging the Spurs down. If he can't easily afford to operate an NBA team, he needs to sell the franchise to somebody who can.

Whose paying Jefferson and Bonner's salaries? You saying Holt couldn't be talked into the importance of retaining Scola at a small cost but could be persuaded to fork out 55 million for two proven playoff chokers?

Somehow I get the feeling is not all just Holt here....

The ADMIRAL 50
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Liking the Spurs and disliking Popovich are not mutually exclusive. People can have their opinions, sheesh.

cherylsteele
01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I like Pop too, but those that don't are entitled to their opinion, besides, they are correct that Pop's lineups have been poor. He keeps putting the Bonner/Blair combo in the game and the lead nearly evaporates instantly many times. Splitter plays way too little relative to other players, the aforementioned Bonner/Blair, and we have lost games that were winnable because of this. This has been going on since the 2007 title.

I still am not to pleased thathe rested Timmy vs the Kings, He should have played but only 10 minutes or so, to keep team rhythm.

"Bagging" on Pop, or any other coach of your favorite team doesn't mean you are not a fan, on contrary it means you care about your favorite team, and maybe an even better fan for it.

GSH
01-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Uh, okay. Sure.

No... clearly the only must-do things for you are making shit up, and coming to ridiculously stupid conclusions. You don't know if he could have talked Holt into paying for Scola. You don't know if he had to talk Holt into paying for Jefferson or Bonner. And I never said anything about forgiving Pop for anything. But you've just made a whole series of arguments based on shit you either don't know, or you made up. And you've told me TWICE that I said things that I didn't say. All in a few sentences. I bet you're fun in the political forum.

As for the original post? I dislike Pop, but I'll stay on whatever bandwagon I want, thanks. What kills me is that, for years, Pop has been trying to force players without the necessary skill set into a rigid system, and people defended him like a genius. Now he's finally adapting the system (somewhat) to the players he actually has, and the same people are calling him an idiot. I'd love to see any of the people bitching explain how THEY would turn THIS group of players into a defensive juggernaut like the Championship teams of the past.:bang

GSH
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Mostly, I'm saying that it's nice to include facts into the opinion process. Here's another old article that's worth reading, if you didn't see it the first time. People always talk about Pop being responsible for ALL the personnel decisions, and about how he is responsible for the influx of foreign players. In fact, Don and Donnie Nelson were at least as involved, as were Buford and Presti. Hell, the Spurs came close to drafting Lucas Victoriano instead of Manu Ginobili. (The only reason Buford recommended Manu instead is because he didn't think there was any way Pop would play a foreign point guard. And he was right - Pop didn't want anything to do with Tony Parker. Buford had to talk him into even looking at him.

Everybody is entitled to any opinion they want. I just wish that they (some more than others) would at least ATTEMPT to blend in a little fact with their fantasy.

Here's the article. Sorry it had to come from Chinaspurs dotcom. I don't think the Express Snooze has it up anymore. http://www.chinaspurs.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7782.html

TJastal
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
No... clearly the only must-do things for you are making shit up, and coming to ridiculously stupid conclusions. You don't know if he could have talked Holt into paying for Scola. You don't know if he had to talk Holt into paying for Jefferson or Bonner. And I never said anything about forgiving Pop for anything. But you've just made a whole series of arguments based on shit you either don't know, or you made up. And you've told me TWICE that I said things that I didn't say. All in a few sentences. I bet you're fun in the political forum.

As for the original post? I dislike Pop, but I'll stay on whatever bandwagon I want, thanks. What kills me is that, for years, Pop has been trying to force players without the necessary skill set into a rigid system, and people defended him like a genius. Now he's finally adapting the system (somewhat) to the players he actually has, and the same people are calling him an idiot. I'd love to see any of the people bitching explain how THEY would turn THIS group of players into a defensive juggernaut like the Championship teams of the past.:bang

You're right, we'll probably never know the exact intimate details of how or why the decision making has ended up becoming so FUBAR in the spurs organization.

But I'm telling you the cold hard facts of what we do know has happened (in the past 5 years) doesn't make a very strong or compelling case for Popovich being completely off the hook. It's hard to fathom that Holt would suddenly change his miserly ways back in 2008 to suddenly emptying out his bank account for a couple of underachievers. Just doesn't make sense.

GSH
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
You're right, we'll probably never know the exact intimate details of how or why the decision making has ended up becoming so FUBAR in the spurs organization.

But I'm telling you the cold hard facts of what we do know has happened (in the past 5 years) doesn't make a very strong or compelling case for Popovich being completely off the hook. It's hard to fathom that Holt would suddenly change his miserly ways back in 2008 to suddenly emptying out his bank account for a couple of underachievers. Just doesn't make sense.

I'll tell you the truth, TJastal - and this time I'm not being sarcastic. One of the things I love about this world is that people have the ability to surprise me. I totally agree - Pop is far from completely off the hook.

Personally, I tend to think that Holt's sudden willingness to tap the bank account for Jefferson was more of a knee-jerk reaction to the realization that he had let a gem slip away in Luis Scola. Yeah he wanted to get another title with Duncan, but I think he realized that being cheap might have cost him that opportunity, so he made the decision not to cheap out the next time. I don't know if that's right. But like I've said before, I've found that people usually aren't just totally random. What I've never been able to imagine is how any of the Spurs' FO could not recognize that Jefferson wasn't a good fit here. The best I've ever come up with is that it was a continuation of the Scola screw-up, and they were just in desperation mode. If that's on Pop, then he screwed the pooch. I've got no problems with that. I just don't know.

But I feel more confident that Pop is largely responsible for re-signing Jefferson. He worked with him over the summer, and was arrogant enough to believe that he had fixed the problem. The problem was that R.J. is a slasher, and not much of a defender, and Pop wanted him to be a spot-up 3-point shooter and a good defender. Part of a summer working out with Pop wasn't going to make that right. You want a reason to slam Pop, that's one. I'll post another one after I find an article.

GSH
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Here - you want a reason to dislike Pop? Try this one:
http://www.thatnbalotterypick.com/2012/01/gregg-popovich-thinks-europeans-are.html

Most of you reading this (you, and you, and you) should take a look down at yourself and understand that YOU are one of the people Gregg Popovich detests. You beer-drinking, sports-addicted, overweight, Survivor-watching, gun-owning, truck/SUV-driving, non-European, vermin. The way he looks at the guys asking questions in the post-game, is the same way he looks at most of the fans. He thinks they're uncouth and annoying.

He gets paid to coach guys who put a little ball through a little hole, and he's bitching about the empty American culture? I'm surprised no one but me ever asked why Pop didn't go to beloved Europe to become a coach, or stay here and become a social worker to help this country with its myriad problems? Could it be because European coaches make 10% of what he makes? Or because social workers make 1% of what he makes? He hates the culture, but he's not above pigging up whatever he can make off of it. My thought is, "Fuck off, Gregg. The country was fine before you got the microphone, and it will be fine after you're worm food." I've spent enough time in Europe and the Middle East to know that no matter what the coffee pot looks like, there's still black, grimy crap at the bottom. (Or, if that's too obtuse for you - "I've watched European TV, Gregg. The only people you're fooling are the ones who haven't.") If there's a problem with Pop's coaching (and there is), it's wrapped up in that massive ego of his.

All that being said, it doesn't mean that playing Tiago more is going to turn this squad into a defensive juggernaut. He's better than Blair and Bonner, by far. But unless you can clone him, he's too little, too late.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.thatnbalotterypick.com/2012/01/gregg-popovich-thinks-europeans-are.html

Most of you reading this (you, and you, and you) should take a look down at yourself and understand that YOU are one of the people Gregg Popovich detests. You beer-drinking, sports-addicted, overweight, Survivor-watching, gun-owning, truck/SUV-driving, non-European, vermin. The way he looks at the guys asking questions in the post-game, is the same way he looks at most of the fans. He thinks they're uncouth and annoying.

He gets paid to coach guys who put a little ball through a little hole, and he's bitching about the empty American culture? I'm surprised no one but me ever asked why Pop didn't go to beloved Europe to become a coach, or stay here and become a social worker to help this country with its myriad problems? Could it be because European coaches make 10% of what he makes? Or because social workers make 1% of what he makes? He hates the culture, but he's not above pigging up whatever he can make off of it. My thought is, "Fuck off, Gregg. The country was fine before you got the microphone, and it will be fine after you're worm food." I've spent enough time in Europe and the Middle East to know that no matter what the coffee pot looks like, there's still black, grimy crap at the bottom. (Or, if that's too obtuse for you - "I've watched European TV, Gregg. The only people you're fooling are the ones who haven't.") If there's a problem with Pop's coaching (and there is), it's wrapped up in that massive ego of his.

All that being said, it doesn't mean that playing Tiago more is going to turn this squad into a defensive juggernaut. He's better than Blair and Bonner, by far. But unless you can clone him, he's too little, too late.Holy shit, that was a hilarious unhinged rant.

jag
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
GSH has lost his mind.

Trill Clinton
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
classic gnsf

ElNono
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
8/10... troll setting the stage for epic meltdown, and we have a winner

temujin
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
GSH has lost his mind.

Nah, this is a guy that watches n reruns of second quarters possessions of a regular season game.
And does internet searches on hundreds of posts to find out 3 he doesn't like.
He's got plenty of time to waste.

Lucky guy!

temujin
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM

All that being said, it doesn't mean that playing Tiago more is going to turn this squad into a defensive juggernaut. He's better than Blair and Bonner, by far. But unless you can clone him, he's too little, too late.

You got it right, this time.
Damn right.
That's EXACTLY why I like coach Popovic (no h, at the end).

Unfortunately, people get old, even a great coach like him ages.
Check this one out in my records.

Em-City
01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
troll thread took a turn for the awesome

wildbill2u
01-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Pop is coaching his ass off this year, maybe the best coaching job he's done in years. Who among us would have said when Manu went down and was followed by Ford that we'd be playing above .500? I didn't think we'd win 25% of the games and would be out of contention for a playoff slot. We may still stumble, but damn it we're winning more than we lose and that's remarkable.

He'd has a team that lost its Superstar heart, backup PG, to injury, and must limit the minutes of his other aging Superstar and MVP PG as leaders of the team.

Yet he is still winning games with a makeshift lineup using less than average veterans like Bonner, Jefferson and Blair and newbies like Splitter, Green and Neal.

All of this has to be done on the fly in a season condensed to lots of B2B (B2@B) games with no chance to practice.

We can argue about some of his decisions, but somewhere in that crafty mind there are reasons for them. He has to take risks with minutes and lineups. Some work. Some don't.

Any game we win with this team in this situation should get an A from TIMVp. After all, the grades are supposed to be graded on what he has to work with.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
You guys are mindless fuckin clowns. You echo the flavor of the week, or is that weak? Right now it's Splitter doesn't get enough minutes. Last year it was Splitter is the biggest bust, even 2 weeks into the season the flavor was Splitter is soft and a monumental failure. Now you worship him for one good game. You need to make up your minds. The Splitter I see shows flashes, but is far from ready. The Splitter I see had 3 fouls in under 2 minutes against Miami. Remember, blame Pop. The guy is clearly not perfect, but give me another coach who could do more with what Pop has. I don't see it happening. You kill him for small ball, but the reality of the situation the Spurs hands are tied. And if you really want to whine, Tim Duncan could have opted out and took far less money, more equal to his value. And Dick could have been amnestied, putting us in a GOOD cap situation with money to sign the big man you guys so desperately beg for. Then again I'm a troll.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Pop is coaching his ass off this year, maybe the best coaching job he's done in years. Who among us would have said when Manu went down and was followed by Ford that we'd be playing above .500? I didn't think we'd win 25% of the games and would be out of contention for a playoff slot. We may still stumble, but damn it we're winning more than we lose and that's remarkable.

He'd has a team that lost its Superstar heart, backup PG, to injury, and must limit the minutes of his other aging Superstar and MVP PG as leaders of the team.

Yet he is still winning games with a makeshift lineup using less than average veterans like Bonner, Jefferson and Blair and newbies like Splitter, Green and Neal.

All of this has to be done on the fly in a season condensed to lots of B2B games with no chance to practice.

We can argue about some of his decisions, but somewhere in that crafty mind there are reasons for them. He has to take risks with minutes and lineups. Some work. Some don't.

Any game we win with this team in this situation should get an A from TIMVp. After all, the grades are supposed to be graded on what he has to work with.

Whoa there! An actual post that makes sense?

Pop is coaching a team without a single player even close to being on All-Star level to an 11-7 start and people bitch about why some player plays 5 minutes less than they should. That's what Pop hates about fans and the culture - everyone thinks they know better than the actual coaches and they don't even want to acknowledge the possibility that maybe, just maybe they're not right and the actual coach is.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Whoa there! An actual post that makes sense?

Pop is coaching a team without a single player even close to being on All-Star level to an 11-7 start and people bitch about why some player plays 5 minutes less than they should. That's what Pop hates about fans and the culture - everyone thinks they know better than the actual coaches and they don't even want to acknowledge the possibility that maybe, just maybe they're not right and the actual coach is.

You have to excuse these posters on here. Just because they spend most of their day on this website they actually think they know basketball.

callo1
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
You have to excuse these posters on here. Just because they spend most of their day on this website they actually think they know basketball.

Sean Elliott played basketball at a much higher level than Pop no?

Sean sure seems to think Tiago should get more time and touches. I would think that he would have credibility?

therealtruth
01-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Sean sure seems to think Tiago should get more time and touches. I would think that he would have credibility?

There are people who have been saying Splitter should have been starting from day 1 last year. Pop retardely delayed his development for no apparent reason. If he had been a regular part of the rotation the Grizzlies don't win the first round last year.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM

I love Tiago and think he should get more minutes as well. But the 2012 version of Tiago is not the same as last years version. I am still in favor of Blair starting and then bringing in Tiago as his replacement, depending on Blairs play.

As far as Elliott, he thinks everyone should be getting more minutes...heck he even thinks Anderson deserves time on the floor. There are only 240 minutes to be shared between all five players and only 96 minutes between the 4 and 5. Timmy should get about 30 as well as Tiago and 36 minutes between Bonner and Blair.

Rummpd
01-25-2012, 05:12 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTATm8ylNIdOov60juw5shnn_rucmJi1 UGWDPNhcEGYNKFTAHFn :lmao :lmao :lmao

Worthy of post of the year! [Have lived and worked and been to some of the same places mentioned above and the rant is classic and right on!]:lmao:flag: