PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and elimination games

rascal
06-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I don't like the spurs chances if they drop game 5. They haven't done well in elimination games (games when facing their own elimination) in recent years. I remember an elimination game win against seattle in a 1'st round series in a short 5 game series format a few years ago but the spurs were heavy favs in that series and clearly the better team.

Other than that seattle win they have lost when facing their own elimination or have put away series early enough to avoid facing a pressure pack elimination game. The fact that they have not had success in elimination games will work against them until they gain the confidence and experience that they can win in elimination games.

Game 5 could be called a must win game to prevent the spurs from having all the pressure of needing to win 2 elimination games in a row. Its more important for the spurs to win this game than Det. This is even more important than any home court advantage.

Extra Stout
06-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Obviously the pressure is on the Spurs here. But I'm not sure it would be a good idea to write them off if Game 5 is an overtime loss or something similar. Now if they get blown out again one might start to think that Detroit just has them figured out.

Marklar MM
06-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Game 5 is a must win for both teams. If Detroit loses game 5, it will be hard to win 2 in San Antonio. If Detroit wins, San Antonio will have to deal with Detroit being 10-0 in close out games the past couple years.

DarkReign
06-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Hmmmm...

Well, I can tell you this, the Pistons are 10-0 when they have a chance to eliminate their opponent.

The NBA record is 12.

*edit: we were posting at the same time.