PDA

View Full Version : As Emperor of the USA I would...

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2012, 05:23 PM
OK guys, this could be fun. You don't have to worry about getting it by the House/Senate or getting it overturned by the Supreme Court.

Give me your platform..don't attack anyone else's position until you have put yours in writing...

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
starting with your own would be a gesture of goodwill. why should someone else expose their own ass first? :lol:toast

mavs>spurs
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
i would eliminate anyone who is in the country illegally, repeal the executive order ability and all other provisions where the government has overstepped their boundaries, bring home every foreign troop and cut spending, free and clear charges of anyone who was arrested for filming police, legalize drugs and spend the billions wasted on enforcement on rehab and awareness programs, end the TSA and the federal reserve. also adopt an isolationist policy when it comes to conflict, unless there was a real threat to us or one of our allies. also create a board of directors with no political ties to oversee congress and have the ability to fire them if not doing their jobs correctly. this board would be composed of average citizens randomly selected similar to jury duty and would serve relatively short terms.

Blake
01-24-2012, 05:37 PM
starting with your own would be a gesture of goodwill. why should someone else expose their own ass first? :lol:toast

Don't attack his non-position!

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
LOL...I will start working on it but not sure I have time to finish it...I'm working out at the rodeo tonight...

Blake
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
What's my salary and how long am I emperor?

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:39 PM
those are good questions, Blake

Blake
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
those are good questions, Blake

:lol

I need to know if I can trust my chef.

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
create a board of directors with no political ties to oversee congress and have the ability to fire them if not doing their jobs correctly. this board would be composed of average citizens randomly selected similar to jury duty and would serve relatively short terms.how would they not be tied to the people who chose them for the job?

lol fourth branch of government

mavs>spurs
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
because they'd be selected at random, like jury duty. you know kinda like how the jury has no connection to the defense team in a trial.

mavs>spurs
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
how would they not be tied to the people who chose them for the job?

lol fourth branch of government

also, it wouldn't be a fourth branch at all. are you familiar with the whole idea of a board of directors? they'd don't really serve any real business purpose in day to day activities as management is the ones who are actually running the company. board members are unpaid volunteers and only serve to ensure that management is acting in the shareholders interest, or in this case to ensure that congress is acting in the tax payers interest.

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
government by lottery. derivative, tbh

I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University."

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
also, it wouldn't be a fourth branch at all. are you familiar with the whole idea of a board of directors? they'd don't really serve any real business purpose in day to day activities as management is the ones who are actually running the company. board members are unpaid volunteers and only serve to ensure that management is acting in the shareholders interest, or in this case to ensure that congress is acting in the tax payers interest.to they ensure, or just advise? there's an important difference.

mavs>spurs
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
well ensure really, because management in every company harps on adding shareholder value with every decision that they make, because if they don't act in the shareholder's interest they lose their jobs. it happens.

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
If it has power over Congress it's not an advisory board, it's a branch of government. I spy analogy failure and rhetorical overreach.

vy65
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Government =|= business ... politicians are elected to serve the best interests of the country - not taxpayers. There are times when doing what's good for the nation (arguably) conflicts with what's good for the taxpayer.

Winehole23
01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
lol running government like a business. governments aren't supposed to maximize profit, the books are supposed to balance.

mercos
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
First I would fix our trade problems. I would change free trade agreements into fair trade agreements and stop the race to the bottom when it comes to manufacturing jobs. Our trade deficit and our lack of being able to produce our own goods is a great danger to the nation.

Second I would reform entitlements. I would fix Social Security in five minutes by either slightly increasing the tax or removing the cap on the amount of salary that can be taxed. Then I would slightly raise the retirement age and tie future raises in the retirement age to the average life expectancy.

I would change programs like welfare and unemployment insurance from being just handouts. I would tie any aid given to require training in a field where workers are needed, like say the medical field. We can not afford to just endlessly give people money, but we must also recognize that people are our most important resource. Investment in people is good for the country.

To improve education I would require more teacher accountability. If a student is not learning, then a teacher is usually not doing their job. A wise man once said there is no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher. We have to weed out the bad teachers. Year round schooling is probably not a bad idea either.

For healthcare I would do away with private insurance. I don't see the need for a profit making middle man in the healthcare process when the government can do it without seeking a profit. I believe healthcare is a right and everyone should have it. I would institute a single payer system where everyone pays in and everyone benefits.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
OK...

Foreign policy...

No more democracy building. No litmus test for alliances. If you are our friend we are your friend. I don't give a shit if you are a King, a Mullah, or a constitutional democracy.

Don't want to be my friend? Fuck with me at your peril.

Military...

MAJOR re-evaluation. I still like big navy and big air force. I also like the tech toys as long as they are built in the US and the technology stays here. Big Army is obsolete. There's not a place in the world I want to put boots on the ground in harms way. Piss us off? We won't invade you but we will FUCK YOU UP. See Iraq the first time...by the time we finished softening them up the sous chefs on the Food Network could have walked to Baghdad using nothing but kitchen knives for weapons. The shit hits the fan and we have another WWII we just can't avoid?...reinstate the draft just like they did then...

Taxes...

2 step flat tax...maybe 15 and 25%. No taxes on family incomes under $40,000. I would deal with the wall street guys beating personal income tax. Only deductions personal deductions and mortgage interest... No corporate tax. no capital gains tax. Income from stock/bond TRADING is ordinary income...income from holding stock/bond investments would be capital gains.

10% tariff on all imported goods....imported only...example, Toyotas from Japan, 10%...toyotas from US plants, no tariff.

Crime...

Victimless crimes legal. Drugs legalized and taxed. Prostitution legalized and taxed.

Lifetime sentences for violent crimes, recidivism, etc.? Fuck em. Make it as cheap and unpleasant as possible.

First offenders, potential salvageable cons? Put them in the other place for a month. Then pull them out and spend the money you would have spent on the lifers on educating and rehabilitating these guys and give them life skills. Tell them if they fuck up again they are staying in the other place.

Abortion? Gay Marriage? fuck it...none of my damn business.

Immigration...

Already expressed elsewhere...control it at the employers and fine/imprison them for hiring illegals...green cards...10 years probation, learn english, pay, taxes, keep your nose clean, we welcome you as a citizen.

Social safety net?

hmmmm....

We are stuck with social security but raise the age limit to 70.

Medicare...

We will save your life in an emergency but we will not do extreme life extending surgeries (example, heart stints and bypasses but not heart transplants) and orthopedic issues are elective and not paid by medicare (example hip replacements in 80 year olds)

Yes Virginia, I'm talking about death panels...:lol

Welfare...

It's a help up. It's not a lifetime thing.

Young? Poor? Have a baby? We will help you finish your education, help you with childcare, help you find employment...

Have another baby? You aren't gettin any more money, bitch.

Education...

Need to be completely rethought.

Definitely need an effective two track system starting in the 8th grade. College track and work skills track. But do it RIGHT and teach real, applicable life skills. College track? Fine...we will loan you the money but choose wisely...you are NEVER walking away from this loan and the IRS will collect it and it will follow you until the day you die...BTW, college loans should be treated the same as they treat medicare doctors...you want this student?...fine...but this is all we are gonna pay...deal with it...

OK, thats a start...I showed you mine, you show me yours. Obviously I could write multi page essays on each category but that fleshes out the basic categories...

vy65
01-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Taxes...

2 step flat tax...maybe 15 and 25%. No taxes on family incomes under $40,000. I would deal with the wall street guys beating personal income tax. Only deductions personal deductions and mortgage interest... No corporate tax. no capital gains tax. Income from stock/bond TRADING is ordinary income...income from holding stock/bond investments would be capital gains.

10% tariff on all imported goods....imported only...example, Toyotas from Japan, 10%...toyotas from US plants, no tariff.

I like a lot of your points - except this - doesn't make sense to me.

Aren't gains realized on the purchase and sale of stocks and bonds capital gains? I'm remembering that stocks/bonds sold within a year of purchase are short term and those sold after a year are long term capital gains.

So are you excluding stocks and bonds from the category of "capital assets?" What's the justification for that?

Also, what "income" is realized from holding a stock or bond? And what do you mean by "holding" for that matter. For example, my Apple stock appreciated a shit ton today - but I'm not going to be taxed on that appreciation. So, is your position any different than the status quo?

I surprisingly agree with a lot of the rest however . . .

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
I like a lot of your points - except this - doesn't make sense to me.

Aren't gains realized on the purchase and sale of stocks and bonds capital gains? I'm remembering that stocks/bonds sold within a year of purchase are short term and those sold after a year are long term capital gains.

So are you excluding stocks and bonds from the category of "capital assets?" What's the justification for that?

Also, what "income" is realized from holding a stock or bond? And what do you mean by "holding" for that matter. For example, my Apple stock appreciated a shit ton today - but I'm not going to be taxed on that appreciation. So, is your position any different than the status quo?

I surprisingly agree with a lot of the rest however . . .

I guess what I am saying is that these wall street guys that make their living trading stocks/bonds, running hedge funds, etc. need to do it in the corporation and when they want personal money draw it like the rest of us in ordinary income salary.

Your apple stock is an after tax investment (savings) from your other job and IMHO should be a legitimate capital gain.

ElNono
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
My very first order would be the abolish re-election at every level of government, or, at most, limit it to one re-election (like the POTUS). And since a single/double term is such a relatively small amount of time, I would abolish any retirement benefits from those positions too. You're temporarily serving the people, not milking them.

I want high turnaround on government positions. I want to avoid career politicians. I want to make it extremely costly for lobbyists, etc to have to rebuild their power-broking every term or two. We'll take a hit a bit on experience, but I think overall it would help clean up the political landscape a bit.

I'll think other stuff I would do and post them later...

Blake
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
I might have a secret man cave below the White House which would include all sorts of wild imaginative stuff.....

but sssuming we are in a vacuum where the Emperor has nothing but the purest, best interest for the country and the people:

1. Bring home the troops

2. Install Universal health care

3. Elementary school would be grades 1-4, Middle school 5-7, High School, 8-10.
Make kids take entrance exams to get into College Prep grades 11-12; Offer trade school for those that pass 10th grade but either don't want to go to 11th or couldn't pass.

3a. Kill the "No Child Left Behind" crap.

3b. Fund public schools through income tax

3c. Only offer healthy choices at school cafeterias

4. No law against consumption of any kind of drug whatsoever; There will however be a law against unauthorized sales of drugs.

5. Get rid of "In God We Trust" from all types of money.

6. Tax churches

7. Legalize marriage between consenting adults

8. Allow people to buy alcohol/drugs at any age

9. Raise the unrestricted driving age to 21. Provisional drivers license can be issued to drivers under 21 that allow them to drive by themselves for purposes of work and school only.

10. Put all sorts of cash into alternative energy research and get 100% off oil as soon as possible.

11. Outlaw smoking in all places open to the public unless smoking is the #1 purpose of the establishment, i.e. a cigar bar.

12. Up the retirement age for Social Security

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I actually would support a lot of CC's plan. Especially an importing tariff

vy65
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
So if I'm emperor, I'm assuming I have the power to modify the Constitution and its amendments.

1. Abolish the electoral college. 1 person = 1 vote. No electoral districts and no winner takes all for said districts.

2. Abolish the Senate and shift the 100 congressman to the house for a total of 535 representatives.

3. End the use of the filibuster in the Congress.

4. Campaign contributions
- Overrule Citizens United and ensure that there are hard caps on the amount a corporation can donate to a candidate
- Cap the amount any candidate can expend in his or her campaign - somewhere between 200-250 million sounds fair - I'm pulling that number out of my ass, but fuck it, I'm emperor
- Have a separate Electoral court that monitors the conduct of campaigns. The court would be responsible for (a) applying the federal rules of evidence to campaign ads - meaning no character attacks unless the campaign can show such character attack satisfies the rules of evidence for impeaching the credibility of the opposing candidate and (b) ensure compliance with the other rules above.

5. States Rights:
- Overrule Roe v. Wade with the implication that abortion is to be decided by the states. Abortion would be a non-federal issue. End of Story.
- Do the same for gay marriage, drugs, prostitution, and gambling - these are state, not a federal, issues.

6. Require all members of the judiciary - whether state or federal - to be appointed for life with a mandatory retirement age of 65. No senior judge status. States no longer can have "elected judges."

7. Repeal the 2nd amendment. Private use of weaponry (including bows/arrows) is prohibited. Unauthorized possession of a weapon merits a life-sentence in jail.

8. I'd do some other random stuff like banning the death penalty, codifying UN protocols that outlaw torture, withdraw all troops and recommit a portion of them to NATO and the UN specifically for peace-keeping. Impose an occupation tax on the financial world tied to the banker's yearly income, end all income deductions for those making over 1 million a year - maybe impose a flat tax on all income earned over 1mil regardless of how its earned. Make Allison Brie, Anne Hathaway, and Emmanuelle Chirqui a part of the first official Emperor's harem, and some other shit too.

vy65
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, I'd also do 2 other things:

Reinstate debtors prison for those who file bankruptcy more than twice. For corporate entities that file Chapter 11 more than once, I'd nationalize the debtor for a period of 2-5 years (depending on size). More on that below.

Change welfare to something like CC's plan - no unearmarked benefits. Welfare would be more like a vocational training program. I'd also seriously consider nationalizing certain manufacturing corporations and making welfare recipients work 8-10 hours a day in the factories to earn benefits.

Blake
01-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Anne Hathaway is one of those some days good, some days not good looking chicks

mavs>spurs
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Government =|= business ... politicians are elected to serve the best interests of the country - not taxpayers. There are times when doing what's good for the nation (arguably) conflicts with what's good for the taxpayer.

lol running government like a business. governments aren't supposed to maximize profit, the books are supposed to balance.

You guys are either being stupid on purpose because of some sort of personal agenda you have with me or you're just not very bright. I mean that congress is supposed to serve the best interests of the citizens, maybe tax payer was bad wording.

And secondly, where did I say to run the country like a for profit company? I simply borrowed an idea from the business model, the idea of governance to solve the principal/agent problem. As for saying it's another branch of government, it really wouldn't be. It would be a regulatory oversight board with no lawmaking power, simply the ability to remove congressman who were not performing their jobs in the best interest of the citizen. It would be a great idea, unless for some reason you hate equality, accountability, and other American values.

Spurminator
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM
After CC's post, I'd step down and appoint him emperor.

Proxy
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM
long story short

-Divide the nation by allowing states to decide on their respective economic/social policies.
-Lead the "left" states to secede.
-Watch the Bible Belt burn in their own uneducated, christian fundamental filth.
-Put a shit load of money into education

fin

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Chump?

Winehole?

Clambake?

Other power players I didn't mention, sorry...

Hell, even Boutons...feel free to step up ....

make your case...

clambake
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Chump?

Winehole?

Clambake?

Other power players I didn't mention, sorry...

Hell, even Boutons...feel free to step up ....

make your case...

ok. this is a process. i'm from belfast. more details to come.

first.......completely end the marriage of religion and politics. outlaw this couple.

nothing in life should be based on someones thoughts of the fantastical. don't allow something toxic where their actions and behavior can be used as a tool to proclaim it noble. every product can be improved.

love this thread. i'll finish my thoughts tomorrow.

thanks for asking.

Nbadan
01-25-2012, 12:58 AM
What if I were emperor....I would be kind...

In order to stimulate the economy and help consumers reduce high-interest debt, my first act would be to give all homeowners 2 months per year with no mortgage payment if they choose, once in June and the other in December.....the total months that homeowners took advantage of this break would be added to the back-end of the loan...however, monthly taxes would still have to be paid....

Nbadan
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Military spending would be slashed to 100% more than what china is spending... and the money saved would partly go to pay off the national debt and also to set up a program where high school graduates can earn money by working in different countries in an Ameri-corp type program

Nbadan
01-25-2012, 01:12 AM
I would kick all the politicos, like Duncan, and privatizers, like Jeb Bush, out of the dept of education and state boards and replace them with the best minds in the field of education

.....superintendents, board members, faculty and administration which have managed to be successful at teaching kids...

Nbadan
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I'd warn Israel that if they bombed Iran they would go it alone....

Nbadan
01-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I'd name a day in May in honor of Che....

Trainwreck2100
01-25-2012, 01:30 AM
outlaw the fuck out of political parties..........take a billion out of the treasury............. retire

Winehole23
01-25-2012, 06:36 AM
It would be a regulatory oversight board with no lawmaking power, simply the ability to remove congressman who were not performing their jobs in the best interest of the citizen.It's like you're not paying attention to what you're saying. A board with oversight over Congress and the power to remove lawmakers is effectively a fourth branch. The power to remove lawmakers actually makes the "regulatory oversight board" you speak of more powerful than the executive and judiciary -- which have no such power. What you're talking about isn't even a co-equal branch. It trumps the US Congress.

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
soooo...still waiting on y'alls plans...

clambake
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
soooo...still waiting on y'alls plans...

i'm the emperor! don't press me!

Blake
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
13. Stop allowing golf carts to be tax write-offs

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
13. Stop allowing golf carts to be tax write-offs

No problem. I wouldn't have gotten them if Obama didn't want me to have them.

The Reckoning
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
do a line of blow off a hooker's ass in the oval office, give power back to the states, fire myself with a fantastic severance, high-tail it to Sealand where i would take over the island and develop an arsenal protected by a rogue US special forces division while the rest of the island would be converted to a lavish personal resort laden with acts of sensualism.

mavs>spurs
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
It's like you're not paying attention to what you're saying. A board with oversight over Congress and the power to remove lawmakers is effectively a fourth branch. The power to remove lawmakers actually makes the "regulatory oversight board" you speak of more powerful than the executive and judiciary -- which have no such power. What you're talking about isn't even a co-equal branch. It trumps the US Congress.

but it can't do anything besides remove congressman who aren't performing. they can't make any laws or implement whomever they want. they can't do anything besides remove congressman. that's not any real extraordinary power you speak of lmao. it's a good idea. the president has to answer to congress, they can impeach him. congress should have to perform or lose their jobs too.

Blake
01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
the president has to answer to congress, they can impeach him. congress should have to perform or lose their jobs too.

I thought it was understood in this thread that Congress has been eliminated.

mavs>spurs
01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
hmm..i guess i was thinking of it more along the lines of "if you had the choice to make any changes to the current system that you wish, which ones would you make?" but yeah i guess if there was an emperor there wouldn't be any congress. so my other changes would still stand.

Donut
01-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Take over Mexico. Once they're part of America the illegal immigration problem is no more.

mavs>spurs
01-26-2012, 12:42 AM
^that sure as hell doesn't fix anything

Sportcamper
01-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Impose Roman Law...We can start with Congress, then the Senate and work our way to Wall Street...

Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of military discipline used by officers in the Roman Army to punish mutinous, incompetent or cowardly soldiers… The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth"…

A unit selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten; each group drew lots and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing….

Because the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in the group were eligible for execution, regardless of the individual degree of fault, or rank and distinction…

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

Reduce extreme wealth to a state of mediocrity, and raise indigence toward a state of comfort.

cheguevara
01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
The US President is already technically an Emperor.

He can bomb whoever he wants, kill whoever he wants, imprison whoever he wants without the need to ask anyone.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

Reduce extreme wealth to a state of mediocrity, and raise indigence toward a state of comfort.

wow...that's straight out of the Utopian socialist dreamers manifesto.

101A
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Fidel Catro!? "Captain Bringdown"; I should have guessed.

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
wow...that's straight out of the Utopian socialist dreamers manifesto.

Fidel Catro!? "Captain Bringdown"; I should have guessed.

Quotes from Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, actually.

cheguevara
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
El Che would pickup a copy of the US Constitution and go line by line. If it's not there, it's a goner. Clean house. Start with a clean slate.

Fed? gone. Military bases overseas? gone. NDAA/Patriot Act? gone. Income Taxes? gone.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Quotes from Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, actually.

Uhh...I may buy FDR but you are going to have to supply me with actual quotes from Jefferson and Madison if you expect me to accept your claim.

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Thomas Jefferson
The Founders' Constitution
Volume 1, Chapter 15, Document 32
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch15s32.html

FDR's Second Bill of Rights, the Economic Bill of Rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

James Madison
Volume 1, Chapter 15, Document 50
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch15s50.html
The University of Chicago Press

Winehole23
01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
For some reason, I resist answering this and not for any lack for opinion.

There's something essentially anti-political about imagining oneself in charge and changing the world by waving a magic wand. Indeed, if I had such a wand I think I'd throw it away as a danger to myself and the world.

The essence of politics is compromise, cunning and persuasion. If I were emperor, I believe I'd be inclined to keep the political compact we already have.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Thomas Jefferson
Volume 1, Chapter 15, Document 32
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch15s32.html

FDR's Second Bill of Rights, the Economic Bill of Rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

James Madison
Volume 1, Chapter 15, Document 50
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch15s50.html
The University of Chicago Press

Interesting, but still a jump from musings on inequality to defining it as rights.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

There's something essentially anti-political about imagining oneself in charge and changing the world by waving a magic wand. Indeed, if I had such a wand I think I'd throw it away as a danger to myself and the world.

The essence of politics is compromise, cunning and persuasion. If I were emperor, I believe I'd be inclined to keep the political compact we already have.

Fair enough.

So what final work product would you like to see from the current compact?

Winehole23
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
The work product is already final, but there is an ongoing controversy about what it means. I'd much rather keep a flawed compact than impose my own preferences.

Sportcamper
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM

And that is why you would make a terrible Emperor…

http://www.mrdowling.com/images/702augustus.jpg

Winehole23
01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
true

Winehole23
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
power is the only thing that matters, right?

Borat Sagyidev
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
OK...

Foreign policy...

No more democracy building. No litmus test for alliances. If you are our friend we are your friend. I don't give a shit if you are a King, a Mullah, or a constitutional democracy.

Don't want to be my friend? Fuck with me at your peril.

Military...

MAJOR re-evaluation. I still like big navy and big air force. I also like the tech toys as long as they are built in the US and the technology stays here. Big Army is obsolete. There's not a place in the world I want to put boots on the ground in harms way. Piss us off? We won't invade you but we will FUCK YOU UP. See Iraq the first time...by the time we finished softening them up the sous chefs on the Food Network could have walked to Baghdad using nothing but kitchen knives for weapons. The shit hits the fan and we have another WWII we just can't avoid?...reinstate the draft just like they did then...

Taxes...

Crime...

Victimless crimes legal. Drugs legalized and taxed. Prostitution legalized and taxed.

Lifetime sentences for violent crimes, recidivism, etc.? Fuck em. Make it as cheap and unpleasant as possible.

First offenders, potential salvageable cons? Put them in the other place for a month. Then pull them out and spend the money you would have spent on the lifers on educating and rehabilitating these guys and give them life skills. Tell them if they fuck up again they are staying in the other place.

Abortion? Gay Marriage? fuck it...none of my damn business.

Immigration...

Already expressed elsewhere...control it at the employers and fine/imprison them for hiring illegals...green cards...10 years probation, learn english, pay, taxes, keep your nose clean, we welcome you as a citizen.

Social safety net?

hmmmm....

We are stuck with social security but raise the age limit to 70.

Medicare...

We will save your life in an emergency but we will not do extreme life extending surgeries (example, heart stints and bypasses but not heart transplants) and orthopedic issues are elective and not paid by medicare (example hip replacements in 80 year olds)

Welfare...

It's a help up. It's not a lifetime thing.

Young? Poor? Have a baby? We will help you finish your education, help you with childcare, help you find employment...

Have another baby? You aren't gettin any more money, bitch.

Education...

Need to be completely rethought.

Definitely need an effective two track system starting in the 8th grade. College track and work skills track. But do it RIGHT and teach real, applicable life skills. College track? Fine...we will loan you the money but choose wisely...you are NEVER walking away from this loan and the IRS will collect it and it will follow you until the day you die...BTW, college loans should be treated the same as they treat medicare doctors...you want this student?...fine...but this is all we are gonna pay...deal with it...

OK, thats a start...I showed you mine, you show me yours. Obviously I could write multi page essays on each category but that fleshes out the basic categories...

Consider yourselves one of the more reasonable conservatives on the planet. Congratulations

CC >>>> WC

SnakeBoy
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM

I see it more as anti-conservative but CC is a "true conservative" so what do I know.

Sportcamper
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
power is the only thing that matters, right?

Not at all…It is about getting things done…Restoring integrity…Punishing corrupt officials who are supposed to be servants of the people but instead amass fortunes for themselves…As your Emperor/ Divine Sovereign I intend to accomplish these things the day I take office…I hope that I can count on your vote and support…

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSemEKyGgCXrFEqGmE_TY3f_1s-dbaS9s-7HogRwZ6u3KaUeyOz0w

101A
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Lift the century old limit to House of Representatives size of 435; set representation at 1 rep per quarter of a million people; immediately hold elections to fill the ~2400 house seats. District boundaries must be “natural”
Repeal the 17th amendment.
Term limts – House 4, Senate 2.
For every lobbyist a congressman sees; must see 10 constituents (personally). Can’t be same 10 – all meetings recorded.
Eliminate all leadership positions in Congress not mentioned in the Constitution
Remove all reference or vestige of political parties from the functions of Congress
Congress in session 1 month, then off 2, and Congress must be in there Districts (within reason) while not in session – may NOT be in D.C.
End corporate contributions to campaigns. Limit personal contributions to $1,000. Execute the people who fund SuperPacs.
Line item veto
Congressional declaration of war to commit aggression or foreign soil
Maintain unmatched, unchallengeable military
Get NASA out of politics, and back into space.
Balanced budget amendment
Personal Flat tax = 15% above $50,000 income; NO deductions. The only tax credit available is through a national “big brother” program where individuals can get reimbursed for time/money spent making productive an otherwise non-productive (and unrelated) member of society. Have no idea how to manage such a thing – but this is a dream, right?
Corporate Flat tax = 15% of profit. Some of the IRS auditors let go because of the preceding can be retained to scrutinize company books, making sure business expenses are, in fact, business expenses
Income = Income, regardless of where it is derived from. Investment income over $500,000 taxed at 50% (to lure bright minds away from the financial sector – why don’t y’all try EARNING some money?)
Cut Federal budget 10% across the board
People on federal assistance must work for their check; compensation based on number or hours, and quality of work, NOT on number of children
Free childcare for working poor
Eliminate the inheritance tax
Eliminate the EPA
Have a quick resolution court set up for citizens who can make a case that another individual or corporation has violated their right to a clean, healthy environment. Fast, harsh penalties – including jail-time for violators. Water coming out of my faucet catches fire, or all the fish in my creek are floating belly up one morning? Sombody’s gonna pay. Do what you do, keep it clean, and don’t mess anyone up; make as much as you want.
Unless forfeited within the last half century, give all mineral rights back to the person who owns the part of the land the sun shines on. From this moment forward, that person must be compensated for what goes on on, or under, his/her land.
Outlaw public sector unions at all levels
Germany – like education system; two to three tracks; some to college, some to trade schools – split happens after ninth grade. Get rid of most non-academic classes, and all school sponsored athletics. No PE after grade 8. Many colleges closed, or converted to trade schools; should have many able to get productive, professional trade jobs by 18; others on to college, which will be paid for them (again, like Germany). No “Women’s studies” or other useless degrees, unless you pay for that yourself.
Eliminate Medicare and Medicaid
Federal govt. becomes the stop-loss insurer for all citizens. All annual claims over $250,000 paid by the Fed.
Hospitals/providers must publish their fees and charges; all individuals must be billed the same amount.
Allow nurses with addl training to go into practice as primary care providers; able to write many Rx’s and deliver babies; treat wounds – etc…increase competition for primary care physicians; take some mystique off that profession; will drive more of those docs to compete with the specialists; competition = lower costs. Doctor is just a job; they have most of society thinking they’re magicians – that needs to change.
Medical copays = illegal. All insurance plans must stick to the deductible – coinsurance – full insurance model. No pre-X limitations. Coverage of contraceptives/abortions at the discretion of the carrier and insured; no govt. mandate either way.
Many drugs (if not most) immediately made over-the-counter, with generic competition allowed. If it’s been out for a decade, and half of society is on it, buy it at HEB next to the Aspirin.
Raise SS retirement age
Death penalty for conning, or otherwise taking advantage of, old people
(stole this from an old SNL skit) I would give the richest 20 guys in the country terminal cancer – in 6 months, we’ll have a cure.

Capt Bringdown
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
There's something essentially anti-political about imagining oneself in charge and changing the world by waving a magic wand.

And there's something essentially poncy about taking the premises of this thread literally.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Sand pound and lob missiles at Iran to hurry and get this whole WW4 thing started

Winehole23
01-27-2012, 02:38 AM
And there's something essentially poncy about taking the premises of this thread literally.Do you know how many times I've been called queer on this board?

Even counting all of jacksummerset's submissions in this category as ONE, it could be no fewer than 25 times.

It used to get me a little aggro but now it just bores me, though it is still tedious. That's your recentest contribution to the thread?

(yawns)

:sleep

Winehole23
01-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Sand pound and lob missiles at Iran to hurry and get this whole WW4 thing startedAn authentic and representative American has spoken. Everybody listen up now.

Winehole23
01-27-2012, 02:44 AM
there's something essentially poncy about taking the premises of this thread literally.so what if it's poncy? all you did was make fun of it.

Capt Bringdown
01-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Do you know how many times I've been called queer on this board? Even counting all of jacksummerset's submissions in this category as ONE, it could be no fewer than 25 times.

There are several definitions of the word ponce. In this instance I was referring to one who plays the pompous windbag, and not the homosexual. I despise the gay bashing on this forum and apologize for the confusion. You're definitely more of a Polonious than Oscar Wilde.

so what if it's poncy? all you did was make fun of it.

Taking for granted that the responders to this thread are well aware of the nature of politics, and of the dangers of imperial privilege and magic wands, and that this thread was intended as a fanciful way to elicit political aspirations and ideas rather than a literal endorsement of an authoritarianism, your concern is well noted. Emperors are bad.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Eliminate the senate. Get rid of single member districts and have proportional representation by state in accordance with the current Constitution. Require one representative for each 100k citizens. Reduce the filibuster to a simple majority.

Mandate a third, fourth and fifth party to receive equal funding from the fed as the other two parties. Guarantee proportional funding for parties able to win a seat at the legislature. Require all party primary elections to be held within a one month window. Expand the primaries to include party candidates for said proportional representation. Ban the majority leader, whip etc and other formalized party positions. they can still exist but they can no longer have direct power outside of their own parties as pertains to committee selections etc.

Add a constitutional amendments defining corporations as not person, persons or people. Add a constitutional amendment detailing political contributions by non-citizens as not being protected by the first amendment.

That would be a start.

Winehole23
01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
There are several definitions of the word ponce. In this instance I was referring to one who plays the pompous windbag, and not the homosexual. I despise the gay bashing on this forum and apologize for the confusion. You're definitely more of a Polonious than Oscar Wilde.Apology not accepted. I do not play the pompous windbag, I am one.

Mincing and sidewinding away from a plain slur? Several definitions? Oscar Wilde and Polonius? Who's gittin all poncy now? :lol

Taking for granted that the responders to this thread are well aware of the nature of politics, and of the dangers of imperial privilege and magic wands, and that this thread was intended as a fanciful way to elicit political aspirations and ideas rather than a literal endorsement of an authoritarianism...I got that. I honestly have no political wish list. Refusing the terms offered is a legit answer. The OP was a discussion board post, not a subpoena.

101A
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Apology not accepted. I do not play the pompous windbag, I am one.

:toast:lmao

Agloco
01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Medicare...

I wonder about your rationale for denying a transplant while approving stents and bypasses. What about transplants for restrictive and dialated cardiomyopathies? Also, does medical history factor into your equation? What about the 40 year-old non-smoking casually drinking father of two who has this sort of cardiac history. Can't we give him an LVAD instead of jumping to transplant? Are those excluded in your plan as well?

Also, rather than replacing a hip for an 80 year old, it appears that you'd rather pay for them as they deteriorate and develop other chronic health problems. Hip replacements keep the elderly mobile and out of long term care facilities and acute care settings beforehand. Their cost is more than justified, even at 80.

CosmicCowboy
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I wonder about your rationale for denying a transplant while approving stents and bypasses. What about transplants for restrictive and dialated cardiomyopathies? Also, does medical history factor into your equation? What about the 40 year-old non-smoking casually drinking father of two who has this sort of cardiac history. Can't we give him an LVAD instead of jumping to transplant? Are those excluded in your plan as well?

Also, rather than replacing a hip for an 80 year old, it appears that you'd rather pay for them as they deteriorate and develop other chronic health problems. Hip replacements keep the elderly mobile and out of long term care facilities and acute care settings beforehand. Their cost is more than justified, even at 80.

All good points. That's why I would hire smart assistant emperors like you.

Agloco
01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
All good points. That's why I would hire smart assistant emperors like you.

:lol

I understand that every detail cant be covered here. I was simply trying to keep the discussion flowing.

fwiw I agree with most of your points.

Spur_Fanatic
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
So if I'm emperor, I'm assuming I have the power to modify the Constitution and its amendments.

1. Abolish the electoral college. 1 person = 1 vote. No electoral districts and no winner takes all for said districts.

2. Abolish the Senate and shift the 100 congressman to the house for a total of 535 representatives.

3. End the use of the filibuster in the Congress.

4. Campaign contributions
- Overrule Citizens United and ensure that there are hard caps on the amount a corporation can donate to a candidate
- Cap the amount any candidate can expend in his or her campaign - somewhere between 200-250 million sounds fair - I'm pulling that number out of my ass, but fuck it, I'm emperor
- Have a separate Electoral court that monitors the conduct of campaigns. The court would be responsible for (a) applying the federal rules of evidence to campaign ads - meaning no character attacks unless the campaign can show such character attack satisfies the rules of evidence for impeaching the credibility of the opposing candidate and (b) ensure compliance with the other rules above.

5. States Rights:
- Overrule Roe v. Wade with the implication that abortion is to be decided by the states. Abortion would be a non-federal issue. End of Story.
- Do the same for gay marriage, drugs, prostitution, and gambling - these are state, not a federal, issues.

6. Require all members of the judiciary - whether state or federal - to be appointed for life with a mandatory retirement age of 65. No senior judge status. States no longer can have "elected judges."

7. Repeal the 2nd amendment. Private use of weaponry (including bows/arrows) is prohibited. Unauthorized possession of a weapon merits a life-sentence in jail.

8. I'd do some other random stuff like banning the death penalty, codifying UN protocols that outlaw torture, withdraw all troops and recommit a portion of them to NATO and the UN specifically for peace-keeping. Impose an occupation tax on the financial world tied to the banker's yearly income, end all income deductions for those making over 1 million a year - maybe impose a flat tax on all income earned over 1mil regardless of how its earned. Make Allison Brie, Anne Hathaway, and Emmanuelle Chirqui a part of the first official Emperor's harem, and some other shit too.

vy65 for Emperor!

The Reckoning
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
i hope number 7 is so people wont rebel against you...and with it spur_fanatic wont have his sig...

Wild Cobra
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Do you guys really want to know what I would do?

Agloco
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you guys really want to know what I would do?

Why don't you just post your ideas in that narcissistic thread of yours?