PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Hawks - Jan. 25

timvp
01-26-2012, 12:37 AM
The Spurs cruised to their easiest win of the season with a 105-83 victory over the Hawks on Wednesday night. Outside of a stagnant stretch from the end of the second quarter to the beginning of the third quarter, the Spurs had no trouble with these listless Hawks.

San Antonio can thank their bench for the ease of the win. With the starters lacking energy and making numerous defensive mistakes, the reserves delivered intensity and overwhelmed this depth-challenged Atlanta squad.

Overall, it was a definitely a good night for the good guys. Tim Duncan got to rest and the youngsters got some confidence as the Spurs embark on a three-game road trip.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2482/boxjan25.jpg

Tim Duncan B
Offensively, Tim Duncan wasn't too special. He missed all three of his perimeter shots and his decision-making was a beat slow. However, I liked his physicality when the Hawks sent multiple bodies at him. On defense, Duncan was really good. He showed on the pick-and-rolls well and also defended the rim. Best of all, he controlled the defensive glass, which allowed the Spurs to get some easy points in transition.

Tony Parker C
Coming off of a series of really good outings, Tony Parker was human tonight. He never got into a rhythm and had a handful of questionable decisions. Defensively, Parker was bad. Really bad. In fact, Pop pulled him a couple times for allowing Jeff Teague to drive into the middle of the lane. All that said, Parker had a burst of good play starting at the end of the third quarter that officially sent the affair into garbage time.

Richard Jefferson C+
The good news is that Richard Jefferson was at least aggressive with his shot selection. He wasn't passing up shots, which is more than we could say about him recently. Unfortunately, those shots he selected didn't include anything going toward the basket; Jefferson simply doesn't drive the ball to the hoop any longer. Defensively, he had a few moments of competence but mostly loafed at that end of the court.

DeJuan Blair C-
DeJuan Blair was just a mound of unbridled aggression. Early on, the results were almost all negative. As the game progressed, Blair got better -- but his game remained undomesticated, to put it kindly. Pop was urging him to play hard, so in that respect Blair succeeded. But the Spurs need their starting center to play the smarter brand of basketball we saw out of him earlier this season.

Kawhi Leonard B+
This was definitely Kawhi Leonard's best defensive game in a while. He wasn't giving Joe Johnson an inch of space, even though Atlanta's star guard has a rather deep bag of tricks. Johnson, who had 53 points in his last two outings, finished with ten points tonight (only six when Leonard was in the game). On offense, Leonard was silent until garbage time. Going forward, the rookie needs to find ways to continuously remain a threat on offense or else defenses are going to sag even more than they already do.

Danny Green B+
Another solid performance out of Danny Green. On defense, he was contesting so many shots that it was like having another bigman on the court. His individual defense wasn't too hot but the rest of his play on that end was superb. Offensively, his outside shot looked better tonight than in recent games, but what really stood out was his passing. Green can find teammates off the dribble and he's especially adept at making pinpoint crosscourt passes.

Tiago Splitter A+
What more is there to say about the man right now? He's just absolutely on fire. In Tiago Splitter's 20 minutes of action, he did about as much as physically possible to help the Spurs get the win. He's not missing shots. He's making really good passes. His defense is really good. He's running the court. He's supplying the reserves with a toughness and a swagger. Let's just hope Splitter stays healthy and will be called upon when the going gets tough.

Matt Bonner A-
When Matt Bonner gets hot, he makes it almost impossible to beat the Spurs. Tonight, he made the Hawks pay for any daylight by knocking down five three-pointers. When Atlanta started to concentrate on him, other players got wide open looks. Defensively, Bonner held Josh Smith in check -- which is no small task. All in all, this was Bonner's best game of the season.

Cory Joseph A-
Playmaking had been Cory Joseph's main problem in his short NBA career. Versus Atlanta, he made more plays in this one game than he had made the entire season. When he wasn't smartly pushing the tempo to create open looks for teammates, he was getting into the lane and finding shooters. Defensively, he wasn't great but he didn't back down and stayed in the middle of the action. Hopefully the Toronto native can use this game as a confidence builder and take this level of play out on the road.

Gary Neal B-
Gary Neal played all of his minutes in the first half. In the final two quarters, Pop opted to give Leonard extra playing time since he was doing such a good job on Johnson, which cut out Neal's minutes. When Neal was out there, he wasn't bad. His defense was average at best but on offense he made good decisions and resisted the urge to jack contested jumpers.

James Anderson Inc.
Will the Spurs pick up his rookie option for next season? As of this writing, I haven't heard official word -- though from what I was told earlier today, it wasn't likely.

Malcolm Thomas Inc.
At least he can jump. Other than that, Malcolm Thomas didn't show anything in his limited minutes.

Pop B-
When the starters struggled early in the third, Pop quickly put in three bench players. From there, the Spurs took off. Pop did a good job of resting Duncan and I liked that he allowed Leonard to defend Johnson for most of the night. However, I really question how Pop handled Parker's minutes. Allowing Parker to play 30 minutes in this much of a blowout is inexcusable. What made it worse was that Joseph was actually playing well. (Oh, and since the Spurs won, I won't complain about Splitter's minutes. But I can't say I'm confident Pop is going to play him enough in this upcoming road trip.)

Danny.Zhu
01-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks.

nbaman99
01-26-2012, 12:47 AM
I was wondering if you going to post this or not. This is something I look forward to read after a every game, so far you perfect every time. Thank you.

chazley
01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
You know an opposing team's scout's first thoughts when they watch our team is "I'm really glad Tiago doesn't play 30 MPG".

mercos
01-26-2012, 01:00 AM
The most promising aspect coming out of this game to me was Corey Joseph's continuing development. Just as Splitter did earlier in the season you can see him improve little by little each game. He really shined tonight. This is important because we can't really count on TJ Ford staying healthy. I would rather have the more experience backup on the bench, but it is nice knowing we now have a serviceable alternative.

chazley
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM
I was high on Cory after seeing him play in the one preseason game, and I'm glad he's starting to show some upside - especially after his horrid performances in Austin.

Old School 44
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Nice grades as always!

People always seem to talk defense first when discussing Kawhi, but I really think he has a chance to develop into an equally good offensive player. He just seems to have a natural rhythm for the game. He just needs more time and a little more confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see him averaging 18-20 points per game within the next few years.

5in10
01-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Was I the only one that noticed kawhis confidence level went up on offense when malcom Thomas came into the game. I thought they showed pretty good chemistry in their little amount of time on the court together.

Libri
01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Cool, needed this recap because I missed the game. :tu

5in10
01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Was I the only one that noticed kawhis confidence level went up on offense when malcom Thomas came into the game. I thought they showed pretty good chemistry in their little amount of time on the court together.

Cane
01-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Good stuff. Gotta love that Cory Joseph highlight where he did a spin move in the lane ala Tony Parker and dished it off, this game was probably his best so far. Also great to see that the Spurs can pull off solid wins with relatively smaller contributions from the Big 2/3

But man, are the Hawks a dumb and almost depressing team to watch. Smith was gifting Bonner 3's, all that talent and he's a knucklehead. Their bench also fell apart, finally getting Kirk back into the lineup probably only hurt their chemistry.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks Tim.

mystargtr34
01-26-2012, 01:37 AM
The entire game looks different when Tiago is on the court. The opposition suddenly turns into more of a jump shooting team because the paint is shutdown.. he impacts all 5 guys on the court because his rotations are so good.

Great stuff.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Not brown nosing or anything but...

Timvp's grades>>> 48moh grades... tbh..

:tu

spectator
01-26-2012, 01:50 AM
thanks for the grades - could not see the game tonight - although it seems that tony's grade is rather harsh for a guy scores 15 pts on 13 shots, 7 ast, +7, and generally is the only guy on the team who can regularly create his own shot / create for others. timmy can do that occasionally.

also, you cannot expect tony to play 30+ minutes of great offense every night - btw, this is imperative for a spurs win, since gino is out - and give great effort on defense. overall, i am delighted with this tony, considering how he started the season.

ElNono
01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
good writeup, LJ... agree all around. Thanks

Kamnik
01-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Good writeup!
A positive early morning read for me! :)

Borosai
01-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Matty relieving himself in style.

Rummpd
01-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Right now Splittler should be the 2nd big and a starter and if Bonner plays more like tonight Blair might find himself increasingly in the dog house. Blair stat padded at the end and C- might be generous.

Robz4000
01-26-2012, 02:59 AM
I almost look forward to these write-ups more than the game itself tbh...

DrSteffo
01-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Agreed on the grades. It's good to see Splitter happy and confident after all those strange DNPs last season and his relatively limited minutes this season.

pookenstein
01-26-2012, 03:15 AM
I didn't like Pop pulling out Tiago so early in the second. Until then Splitter was beasting, as usual, and Tim just wasn't that good offensively this game. At least he should have come in for Bonner at this moment and give Splitter 2 or 4 more minutes out there.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2012, 04:26 AM
I was high on Cory after seeing him play in the one preseason game, and I'm glad he's starting to show some upside - especially after his horrid performances in Austin.I wouldn't call it horrid. It was just very difficult to integrate Joseph into the lineup with a guy like Dentmon's playing such a prominent role. In a perfect world, they wouldn't have played together or coach Jones would have severely limited the game plan to accommodate Joseph's development, but it's tough to do these things on the fly in the D-League while trying to maintain the #1 record.

biskvito
01-26-2012, 04:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rmGcT.jpg

ego
01-26-2012, 05:01 AM
thanks for the grades - could not see the game tonight - although it seems that tony's grade is rather harsh for a guy scores 15 pts on 13 shots, 7 ast, +7, and generally is the only guy on the team who can regularly create his own shot / create for others. timmy can do that occasionally.

also, you cannot expect tony to play 30+ minutes of great offense every night - btw, this is imperative for a spurs win, since gino is out - and give great effort on defense. overall, i am delighted with this tony, considering how he started the season.

+1 fine remark !

Cry Havoc
01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
You know an opposing team's scout's first thoughts when they watch our team is "I'm really glad Tiago doesn't play 30 MPG".

Actually they're probably thinking more along the lines of, "What could we offer the Spurs so Tiago could come here and be an instant 20-12 guy/All-star starter in 30 minutes per game instead of coming off their bench?"

angelbelow
01-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Missed the 2nd half, nice to see we got a blow out win. Splitter is definitely continuing to impress, especially with his FG% (but law of averages to hit soon?) Either way hes playing smart on offense so shouldn't hurt us when his FG% normalizes to about 55%.

Speaking of the law of averages, Bonner was due for a game like this.

objective
01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Am I crazy or did Leonard's activity level pick up when Thomas was in with him in garbage time?

elemento
01-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I am happy for Joseph.

I like his potential

wildbill2u
01-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Any game we win while Manu and Ford are out--especially by a large margin--is a plus game for Pop.

I wouldn't be so nit-picking about his substitutions or minutes. They worked. And you have to expect Parker to play a lot of minutes when his backup is a rookie who is just learning the game. You wouldn't have Splitter tearing things up offensively if Parker wasn't working with him so well.

Having the vet in there was insurance to keep things on track is a good decision when the other players are also a rookie and a couple of second year guys like Green and Neal.

Grade A- for keeping it all together under difficult circumstances.

ManuTastic
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
In the 2nd half I liked how Pop actually split up Duncan and Parker, so that Duncan was playing with Joseph and Green (and presumably making their jobs a little easier by being the focus of the offense) and then putting Parker and Splitter in while Duncan sat. Smart way to keep the offensive pressure constant.
Of course it helped that ATL doesn't have a massive frontcourt, and that the young guns were bringing their A games last night.:flag:

Manu-of-steel
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks timvp. Nice read as always. Anybody noticed how duncan tried to stand up to subtitute for someone when malcolm thomas was actually the one to enter the game?

lefty
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Matt Bonner A-
When Matt Bonner gets hot, he makes it almost impossible to beat the Spurs. Tonight, he made the Hawks pay for any daylight by knocking down five three-pointers. When Atlanta started to concentrate on him, other players got wide open looks. Defensively, Bonner held Josh Smith in check -- which is no small task. All in all, this was Bonner's best game of the season.

Spreeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadz the floooor !!!!!

Blake
01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Yah, Pop playing a worn out Tony that late in the 4th made little sense to me too.

I don't see how playing Neal and Cory at the same time would have hurt.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks timvp. Nice read as always. Anybody noticed how duncan tried to stand up to subtitute for someone when malcolm thomas was actually the one to enter the game?

Yeah. It was a joke. He was pretending to try to stand up and Pop was standing there pushing down on his chest.

What was really funny was Thomas' reaction. He was sitting next to Tim when he got the call. He started to get up, then looked over in a startled way at Tim not realizing Tim was just pretending to get up, then saw Pop pushing Tim in the chest and got the joke. Thomas snapped his head around as he was getting up, and waited until his back was to Pop before letting a grin come over his face.

slayermin
01-27-2012, 12:29 AM
A+ for Splitter. Damn, I missed last nights game. Nice little stretch of games for him. I can't wait for tomorrow night.

Proxy
01-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Any game we win while Manu and Ford are out--especially by a large margin--is a plus game

Grade A- for keeping it all together under difficult circumstances.

:danceclub

dylankerouac
01-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp.

There was not much to complain about in this game. Spurs got the W, Tim and Tony weren't required to turn it up another level in the fourth, Tiago continued to impress and even Thomas got to play!

I seemed to pay most of my attention to when Thomas entered in the final minutes of the game. The one bad thing I can say about the game is somewhere in the last four minutes (I didn't rewatch it to get the exact time) Thomas was in with Anderson and the reserves. Spurs were on D and Thomas was defending his man near the 3 point line and the shot clock was winding down. Anderson had interior position and then all of a sudden lost position and his man gained the rebound when it should have been a turnover. I think the Spurs ended up getting the turnover anyway because of the shot clock but Anderson failed to box his man out. Anyway, that is nitpicking and I'm sure if we look hard enough we will find an assignment or task that was missed by everyone. Good game all around and good decisions by Pop in spreading minutes around.

kobyz
01-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Danny Green with his style of play and attitude remind me poor man young Stephen Jackson as what he was for us almost decade ago.