PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of the James Anderson Decision

timvp
01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Although I haven't seen any official reports indicating the Spurs did not pick up the third year option of James Anderson's rookie contract, it's safe to assume that's indeed the case since the deadline to do so passed yesterday at midnight. As a result of the decision, Anderson will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The Spurs could have kept Anderson around for another season for approximately $1.57 million. By not doing so, the franchise dropped the first significant hint that this forthcoming offseason could be rather interesting. As Bruno pointed out in the Think Tank (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189690), due in large part to Tim Duncan's contract coming off the books, the Spurs could open up enough salary cap space to sign a free agent to a max contract. However, in such a scenario, Duncan would either have to retire or sign with another team for San Antonio to open up that much space.

A more likely scenario is the front office will offer Duncan a below market value contract with the incentive being that the team will have enough salary cap space to sign a significant free agent. For example, if the Spurs can sell Duncan on the idea of taking a $5 million deal, they could have more than $11 million to offer a free agent.

If you remember correctly, David Robinson's final contract with the Spurs was for $20 million over two years. If Duncan signs a similar deal, that would still give the Spurs the ability to open up enough space to outbid other teams who are only equipped with the mid-level exception.

It makes little sense to not pick up Anderson's option unless the Spurs are valuing every potential dollar they can save against next year's salary cap. $1.57 million is simply not much money at all -- it's less than $700K more than the minimum salary. For example, it's not much more money than the Spurs will pay to keep Malcolm Thomas around for the duration of this season.

If you go back to the beginning of last year, it looked like a 100% lock that the Spurs would pickup the option on Anderson. In the first six games of Anderson's rookie season, he was averaging seven points in 17.7 minutes per game, while draining 10-of-20 three-point attempts. Not only was he hitting his shots, he was playing well defensively and simply looked like a natural basketball player. Though a role player at the time, the fit was seamless and he flashed quite a bit of potential.

Unfortunately, after feeling pain in his right foot, an MRI showed a stress fracture in his fifth metatarsal. Anderson had surgery to insert a pin to help stabilize the bone. A couple months later, he was back on the court -- but he hasn't been the same since.

Shooting went from Anderson's biggest strength to his most glaring weakness. Last season, he hit just 8-of-26 three-pointers (30.8%) after his return. This year, he's even worse, having hit only 6-of-28 three-pointers (21.4%). For a player who hit 38% of his three-pointers in college and 50% of his three-pointers in the NBA, it's been a stunning drop.

At first, I attributed Anderson's drop in shooting accuracy to a small sample size exacerbated by an inconsistent role. But after researching the history of players who suffered similar injuries, I now think it's his injury that has sidetracked his shooting.

Travis Outlaw, Roddy Beaubois and Brandon Jennings all recently suffered similar injuries and underwent similar surgeries. Outlaw went from being one of the best bench forwards in the NBA to being literally the worst player in the NBA -- mostly due to a lost shooting touch. In his two years prior to his injury, Outlaw shot 39.6% and 37.8% on three-pointers, respectively. Last year, he shot 30.2% on threes. This season, the 27-year-old is shooting 14.3% from deep.

Beaubois might have seen his stock drop even further. After his rookie season, the Mavericks went on record as saying they wouldn't trade him for anyone outside of the two best players in the NBA. That year, he shot 40.9% on three-pointers. But after his foot injury, he shot 30.1% on threes in his sophomore season. Currently, Beaubois has gone from a player the Mavs built their marketing campaign around to a guy with an uncertain future in the league.

Jennings suffered his fifth metatarsal injury last season. Prior to his injury, he was shooting 36.7% on three-pointers (and he shot 37.4% the previous season). After getting the surgery and returning to action, Jennings was just 51-175 on three-pointers -- or just 29.1%.

Going further back in history, George Lynch had the same procedure prior to the 2001-02 season. He was coming off a season in which he shot 44.5% from the field and made 15 three-pointers. But after returning to action, Lynch shot just 36.9% from the field and made just one three-pointer in 45 games.

Bill Walton's career was derailed by a fifth metatarsal injury. Yao Ming injured his fifth metatarsal in 2006. Previously, Yao had only missed two games in his first three seasons in the NBA. After the injury, he was never healthy again.

And let's not forget David Robinson. The injury that forced him to miss the entire 1996-97 season? A broken fifth metatarsal. And while Robinson was still a great player after returning to action, he never did reclaim all of his previous athleticism (thankfully, he had athleticism to burn).

In researching fifth metatarsal injuries, the main reason why this injury is so damning is because the foot never regains complete mobility or stability. In fact, I read a study that shows that up to 40% of athletes will require further surgery after the initial procedure. Of the players I listed, Beaubois, Walton and Yao needed multiple surgeries.

Another player, Damion James for the Nets, injured his fifth metatarsal last season and underwent surgery. This year, he experienced more pain in his foot and tests showed he needed a second surgery and is now out for the season. (By the way, he too saw a drop in performance following the injury. The second-year forward shot 44.7% as a rookie but only 37.1% from the field this year.)

Could the Spurs have decided to not pick up Anderson because they don't think he'll fully recover? It's possible -- and the above examples show their skepticism may be valid. Even worse for Anderson is the fact that he suffered a fifth metatarsal injury to his left foot when he was in high school. I couldn't find an example of a player who had a successful career after injuring their fifth metatarsals in both feet.

That said, despite those valid injury concerns, I can't say that I agree with San Antonio's decision. Even though he's in the middle of his second season in the NBA, he's never had a full training camp (he had a hamstring injury last year) and has never had the opportunity to play in summer league. With as small as his third year salary would have been, I believe the right move was to allow him to play in summer league, put him through a full training camp and then decide his future.

During the lockout, Anderson was getting rave reviews everywhere he was working out. Jared Dudley of the Suns specifically named Anderson and called him a "great young prospect". In the abbreviated training camp after the lockout, Tony Parker said that Anderson was the most impressive young player in the practices. During preseason, though he was missing most of his shots, he showed quite a bit of skill.

While it's true that I don't know the full specifics of Anderson's foot injuries, and while it may be prudent for the Spurs to keep money off the books heading into a potentially busy offseason, this decision is questionable at best. Not that long ago, Anderson was considered a potential steal in the draft. Add in a very good start to his career and some rave reviews by fellow players -- and I just don't agree with cutting bait so soon.

Even if we just consider the injury angle, fifth metatarsal injuries may be career-altering in most cases, but they aren't usually career-ending. Jennings, for example, is now playing better than ever. Lynch was able to regain his previous form. Robinson, as we know, didn't let the injury derail his career. And though most athletes who've had the injury complain of pain in their foot even after the surgery, a few studies I read indicated that the pain tends to go away in 12 to 18 months. It's been less than 15 months since Anderson's surgery.

During the reign of Gregg Popovich and RC Buford, the Spurs have been amazing when it comes to the draft. It's been perhaps the best stretch of drafting prowess in the history of the game. But their one glaring weakness has been giving up on prospects too soon. Anderson was picked with the 20th overall selection, and though historically less than half of players picked in that area of the draft end up sticking in the league, I believe Pop and RC should have trusted more in their own ability to draft well. Keeping the book open on Anderson would have been a low-risk move with a potential sizable reward. Closing the book prematurely, in my view at least, is a much larger risk.

polandprzem
01-26-2012, 11:50 AM
How much longer would you like spurs to keep Anderson?

timvp
01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
How much longer would you like spurs to keep Anderson?

One season, as stated.

elemento
01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
As a Spur fan i want our team to succeed so it's sad news to me if it's true. To me JA would be at least a solid SG in the NBA. Not a star, a solid player.

As i said in the previous debate about JA, not picking his option only makes sense if his injury is really serious, otherwise it doesn't.

Anyway, we don't have an official report yet. Still, it's sad to see how many talented players got a lot worse after this type of injury. I just hope it's not Anderson's case

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
During the rein of Gregg Popovich and RC Buford, the Spurs have been amazing when it comes to the draft. It's been perhaps the best stretch of drafting prowess in the history of the game. But their one glaring weakness has been giving up on prospects too soon. Anderson was picked with the 20th overall selection, and though historically less than half of players picked in that area of the draft end up sticking in the league, I believe Pop and RC should have trusted more in their own ability to draft well. Keeping the book open on Anderson would have been a low-risk move with a potential sizable reward. Closing the book prematurely, in my view at least, is a much larger risk.

There it is. :toast

Again, as I've mentioned in another thread, with RJ destined for a trip down Amnesty Road, it makes no sense to create YET another opening at the wing spot by allowing Anderson to walk. Another year invested in him would've helped. As it stands now, the Spurs will be down 2 players at that spot, instead of 1.

SpursRock20
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Another problem that Anderson faces is the severe lack of playing time. He has now regressed to the second-to-last bench spot just ahead of Thomas. When Manu comes back in the coming month, he'll have even less playing time. It seems as if Pop won't even give him a chance to make a come back this season and he has already given up on him. I know he has had a slow start but we are only 1 month through the season.

polandprzem
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
One season, as stated.

Do you think he is still capable of being a good bench player?

He looks slow, unathletic with no confidence.

Probably health issues were too big and the spurs needs a much cap room as possible.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
With all this info in mind, how badly will this affect the Spurs looking to make a trade to grab a solid big by the trade deadline? I assume if they're saving up to sign a marquee free agent this offseason they probably don't want to take back contracts that would eat up cap space unless they can offload Jefferson? (though they'll amnesty him anyway I suppose)

LongtimeSpursFan
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Even if we just consider the injury angle, fifth metatarsal injuries may be career-altering in most cases, but they aren't usually career-ending. Jennings, for example, is now playing better than ever. Lynch was able to regain his previous form. Robinson, as we know, didn't let the injury derail his career. And though most athletes who've had the injury complain of pain in their foot even after the surgery, a few studies I read indicated that the pain tends to go away in 12 to 18 months. It's been less than 15 months since Anderson's surgery.

During the reign of Gregg Popovich and RC Buford, the Spurs have been amazing when it comes to the draft. It's been perhaps the best stretch of drafting prowess in the history of the game. But their one glaring weakness has been giving up on prospects too soon. Anderson was picked with the 20th overall selection, and though historically less than half of players picked in that area of the draft end up sticking in the league, I believe Pop and RC should have trusted more in their own ability to draft well. Keeping the book open on Anderson would have been a low-risk move with a potential sizable reward. Closing the book prematurely, in my view at least, is a much larger risk.

Spurs are seven players deep at the 1 and 2 position; Parker, Manu, Ford, Neal, Joseph, Green and Leonard to some extent. I dont see Anderson getting any playing time in front of those guys which says a lot since we all thought Anderson came in with a lot more potential. Can we honestly say that Anderson should be playing in front of Neal or Green? No, and both these guys came in same time or later as Anderson.
Anderson may do well on some other team down the road but as of now and the near future he does not warrant his option being picked up and the Spurs investing more money on him when other players are playing much better.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Anderson is slow and unathletic. When we drafted him a year ago all you heard was how athletic he was, bigger than Hill, and a true SG who could play D and score points. Try to make up your mind people. I still think he has a lot of upside. Remember he has been hurt and hasn't had a lot of playing time. I guess you would all rather have Neal? Smaller, less athletic, and older. What a great combination and true asset to this team lol. Before you sour on Anderson maybe he should get a chance.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
It might be a different story is the Spurs wern't stacked at the 2, and 3 position. Still I too do not like giving up on a player so soon.

DesignatedT
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Another bad move by the fo.

lol way too early to claim that. Won't really be able to understand this move until the off-season is here.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 12:22 PM
With all this info in mind, how badly will this affect the Spurs looking to make a trade to grab a solid big by the trade deadline? I assume if they're saving up to sign a marquee free agent this offseason they probably don't want to take back contracts that would eat up cap space unless they can offload Jefferson? (though they'll amnesty him anyway I suppose)

Anderson wasn't really showing anything, as far as showcasing himself for a potential trade.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Anderson wasn't really showing anything, as far as showcasing himself for a potential trade.

I was talking more about the Spurs trading for a big in general. Assuming they want to save their cap space for the summer, I can't see them taking on longer contracts than the ones they give out unless it was an absolute steal, or involved offloading Jefferson.

smrattler
01-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree with anyone that says his confidence is shot. I think it starts there. Everything else could be a result. Some guys feel pressure to get out of the slump, and the longer it takes, the less confident they get and miss more shots because of it. Next thing you know, you flat out can't shoot and start looking over your shoulder.

Look what a little boost of confidence has done for Tiago. All of a sudden he's showing moves I had no idea he had in his bag of tricks. And his defense cranked up too.

Some guys, like Neal for example, don't seem affected by misses. Anderson seems like the opposite. The stories about camp and summer games indicate he was on a roll and playing with confidence. I bet his shot was working then.

TJastal
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Spurs are seven players deep at the 1 and 2 position; Parker, Manu, Ford, Neal, Joseph, Green and Leonard to some extent. I dont see Anderson getting any playing time in front of those guys which says a lot since we all thought Anderson came in with a lot more potential. Can we honestly say that Anderson should be playing in front of Neal or Green? No, and both these guys came in same time or later as Anderson.
Anderson may do well on some other team down the road but as of now and the near future he does not warrant his option being picked up and the Spurs investing more money on him when other players are playing much better.

This. And tossing 1.6 mil Anderson's way is 1.6 mil less the spurs will have to offer a potential FA big next year which is what they really need to focus in on. And for what? So the guy can sit on the bench and not even get the PT and chances to develop into anything? Do you people who regret this move think he's just suddenly going to suddenly blossom into a 22 point/gm scorer watching the games from the bench or at the very most playing a couple minutes of garbage time every 5 or 6 games?

acoelho1
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
It could be simply a playing time issue. When Manu is back, we will have 3 guards that go ahead of him. Is it fair to Anderson to keep him on the bench for another year? I think they still like him but we have a crowded back court and someone has to go. Between Manu, Neal & Green, it's clear that Anderson is the odd man out.

yavozerb
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Is JA restricted or unrestricted? SG is the deepest position on this roster and if takes an extra 1.5 mil this offseason to sign a RFA at a position in need (pf or c)then the loss of a3rd string SG is no brainer . There is always risks in not resigning younger players but I for one do not feel the loss of JA this offseason will hurt this team in the future..Good move in my opinion by the front office..

TJastal
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Anderson is slow and unathletic. When we drafted him a year ago all you heard was how athletic he was, bigger than Hill, and a true SG who could play D and score points. Try to make up your mind people. I still think he has a lot of upside. Remember he has been hurt and hasn't had a lot of playing time. I guess you would all rather have Neal? Smaller, less athletic, and older. What a great combination and true asset to this team lol. Before you sour on Anderson maybe he should get a chance.

He's had several chances to impress and hasn't done much and got passed on the depth chart by a much better player (Green).

Adios, muchacho.

lurker23
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree that I would have picked up his $1.5m and given him another season. At that salary, it's a pretty low-risk proposition.

However, this thought occurred to me: as an UFA, what kind of offers would you expect JA to get on the open market? Assuming he doesn't get any playing time this season, would anyone be willing to give him a fully guaranteed season?

Even as a free agent, the Spurs might be able to snag him toward the end of the FA period with an offer of a fully guaranteed season at the minimum and an unguaranteed second year. Of course, you don't take the risk of him going elsewhere if you're truly high on the guy, but a second look by the Spurs after all is said and done isn't out of the question.

acoelho1
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
The funny thing about this argument is that the people saying he is no good now will be complaining 2 years down the line if Anderson is tearing up the league. I don't know if Anderson will ever be better than our current crop of guards but based on this small sample, he hasn't impressed and even given another year, I don't think we will know. I just can't see him getting enough playing time on the court to have an impact.

venitian navigator
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
We're not really 7 deep at the one and two position...after this season, both Neal and Green will be free agents...and both showed something that is worth more than a minimum contract (that's currently what they are being payied).
For this and all the reasons others fans have already written, having still 2 more years in a rookie contract of a so good prospect was worth the risk and the money.

baseline bum
01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
At his age I'm sure Anderson could get $1.5 million on the market. Maybe all the hype about RC being in love with him this summer was just a smokescreen to up his trade value?

elemento
01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree that I would have picked up his $1.5m and given him another season. At that salary, it's a pretty low-risk proposition.

However, this thought occurred to me: as an UFA, what kind of offers would you expect JA to get on the open market? Assuming he doesn't get any playing time this season, would anyone be willing to give him a fully guaranteed season?

Even as a free agent, the Spurs might be able to snag him toward the end of the FA period with an offer of a fully guaranteed season at the minimum and an unguaranteed second year. Of course, you don't take the risk of him going elsewhere if you're truly high on the guy, but a second look by the Spurs after all is said and done isn't out of the question.

Yeah, that could happen. The Magic did it with Earl Clark. Refused his option and then signed him in the free agency for a smaller amount (2.4m/2y).
But if the problem is a medical one, i don't see that happening.

lurker23
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
We're not really 7 deep at the one and two position...after this season, both Neal and Green will be free agents...and both showed something that is worth more than a minimum contract (that's currently what they are being payied).

Neal is under contract for next year, and then has a qualifying offer for 2013-14.

Green has a qualifying offer for next summer, so if the Spurs are really high on him, he's a restricted free agent at worst.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
From a roster management perspective I just don't get it. Even if we let him walk, sign a free agent, are e assuming we will sign a free agent wing? Cuz if its an extra big, we will still need another wing, which will still cost money. The only free agent name these guys have signed recently is RJ. that trend prob won't change, and for a team that tries to get the best bang for its buck, we could end up with a Finley 2010esque player instead of a prospect that'd be in the system his thirds year, that had upside potential, with peanuts in overall money difference. I was high on Anderson too, so this sucks.

TJastal
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Neal is under contract for next year, and then has a qualifying offer for 2013-14.

Green has a qualifying offer for next summer, so if the Spurs are really high on him, he's a restricted free agent at worst.

Sorry JA fanboys. Facts suck, huh?

TJastal
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
From a roster management perspective I just don't get it. Even if we let him walk, sign a free agent, are e assuming we will sign a free agent wing? Cuz if its an extra big, we will still need another wing, which will still cost money. The only free agent name these guys have signed recently is RJ. that trend prob won't change, and for a team that tries to get the best bang for its buck, we could end up with a Finley 2010esque player instead of a prospect that'd be in the system his thirds year, that had upside potential, with peanuts in overall money difference. I was high on Anderson too, so this sucks.

FA wings are a dime a dozen. Spurs will have no problems getting a cheap min salary one via FA who can provide insurance for KL, DG, GN, MG.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 01:26 PM
While I agree on most of the OP and I too don't like this move, I somewhat disagree with the following:

But their one glaring weakness has been giving up on prospects too soon.

Spurs have been very quick at giving up on some players (Marcus Williams :depressed ) but when you look with hindsight at it, they have been almost always right at doing it. Their track record speak for itself.

GSH
01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
If it's a choice between Anderson and the ability to pick up, say, Batum? Not even close.

I like the guy, and I really feel for him. But being considered a potential steal in the draft doesn't do anything for the team. I remember reading articles that said Jackie Butler was one of the best signings of that offseason. The only real value is on the court. If the Spurs picked up Anderson's option, I would have been at best indifferent. I can't be too upset that they didn't, unless you count feeling sorry for the guy.

As of this moment, Anderson is about potential without much in the way of evidence. Six games and offseason play. Throw in a known injury, and I doubt that there will be a flood of other teams making offers, and there is nothing preventing the Spurs from signing him again, if he still looks good.

James Gist looked promising. So did Ian Mahinmi. They're both gone. The chance that the Spurs are losing a gem, if they let him go, are pretty slim. There are players hitting free agency that we know can play in the NBA on a consistent basis. It would be nice to be able to afford one of them - for a change.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 01:32 PM
The Magic did it with Earl Clark. Refused his option and then signed him in the free agency for a smaller amount (2.4m/2y).

Nope. Phoenix didn't picked Earl Clark option. He was then traded to Orlando.

I don't remember a single first round pick whose team declined to pick his option resigning with the team at the end of the year. JA is as a good as gone.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
While I agree on most of the OP and I too don't like this move, I somewhat disagree with the following:

Spurs have been very quick at giving up on some players (Marcus Williams :depressed ) but when you look with hindsight at it, they have been almost always right at doing it. Their track record speak for itself.

Really Bruno?

TJastal
01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
If it's a choice between Anderson and the ability to pick up, say, Batum? Not even close.

I like the guy, and I really feel for him. But being considered a potential steal in the draft doesn't do anything for the team. I remember reading articles that said Jackie Butler was one of the best signings of that offseason. The only real value is on the court. If the Spurs picked up Anderson's option, I would have been at best indifferent. I can't be too upset that they didn't, unless you count feeling sorry for the guy.

As of this moment, Anderson is about potential without much in the way of evidence. Six games and offseason play. Throw in a known injury, and I doubt that there will be a flood of other teams making offers, and there is nothing preventing the Spurs from signing him again, if he still looks good.

James Gist looked promising. So did Ian Mahinmi. They're both gone. The chance that the Spurs are losing a gem, if they let him go, are pretty slim. There are players hitting free agency that we know can play in the NBA on a consistent basis. It would be nice to be able to afford one of them - for a change.

Exactly GSH. With his poor showing the spurs will most likely be able to pick him up as an insurance wing at half the price if they really think he deserves a second look. That's called being shrewd.

TJastal
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Nope. Phoenix didn't picked Earl Clark option. He was then traded to Orlando.

I don't remember a single first round pick whose team declined to pick his option resigning with the team at the end of the year. JA is as a good as gone.

Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean the spurs shouldn't do it.

01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
anderson is getting out played by leonard, green, and even neal. when ginobili and ford come back, there will be no room in the rotation (he's not even getting playing time now).

but for $1.5 million, you keep him, especially since it was the spurs that drafted him. he had an injury plagued rookie year so he could still turn out to be the player that the spurs thought he was in 2010. it's kind of disheartening to watch the spurs give up so easily on their own draft pick.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Exactly GSH. With his poor showing the spurs will most likely be able to pick him up as an insurance wing at half the price if they really think he deserves a second look. That's called being shrewd.

:wow Shrewd? You not feeling well tjastal?

Trill Clinton
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
JA is reminding me a lot of Malik Hairston. You have hopes that somehow he'll get in a groove and start producing but for whatever reason it just isn't happening.

TJastal
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
:wow Shrewd? You not feeling well tjastal?

Feeling fine, Mortimer.

Yes, shrewd. Shrewd is what the FO should always be, just not stupid.

01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
also, regarding the cap situation, the 2012 list of free agents are slim pickings. no way the spurs can get deron williams or dwight howard to come over. spurs won't even have enough money to throw at them even by letting andesron go. so, the cap room that is freed up is unnecessary.

timvp
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Do you think he is still capable of being a good bench player?I think it's possible. I'd say there's about a 20% chance he's an NBA quality player. While that's not very high, it's probably worth that money to find out.

With all this info in mind, how badly will this affect the Spurs looking to make a trade to grab a solid big by the trade deadline? I assume if they're saving up to sign a marquee free agent this offseason they probably don't want to take back contracts that would eat up cap space unless they can offload Jefferson? (though they'll amnesty him anyway I suppose)The chances of the Spurs taking on a contract that extends past this season are probably close to 0% unless it's a player that helps win now AND fits into rebuilding plans. Even then, the FO has a history of putting salary cap space above all.

For an example, look back at the summer of 2002 when the Spurs decided to not take an even smaller option for the third year of Speedy Claxton's contract. Even though they liked Speedy, they didn't want to do anything to jeopardize their 2003 salary cap space.

SG is the deepest position on this roster and if takes an extra 1.5 mil this offseason to sign a RFA at a position in need (pf or c)then the loss of a3rd string SG is no brainer . There is always risks in not resigning younger players but I for one do not feel the loss of JA this offseason will hurt this team in the future..Good move in my opinion by the front office..Yeah, if you consider depth, injury history and potential salary cap room, it's definitely not a stupid decisions. I disagree with it but I can see the logic behind what they did.

But really, I think the depth might be a little overstated. Ginobili's contract is over after next season. Ford doesn't count as depth since he's so injury prone. RJ will get amnestied at some point. Green has been good this season but the jury is still out whether or not he's a true NBA quality player. Neal's a useful player due to his jumper, but if he's not a ~40% three-point shooter, he quickly becomes a liability.

Come the 2013-14 season, the only perimeter player that will for sure be on the team is Leonard. IMO, buying time until the 2013 summer to make a decision on JA would have been worth it.

timvp
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM

I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough. Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE. Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.

They quickly drop obvious scrubs like Marcus Williams (although I'd argue they didn't give up on him fast enough because they wasted time on him with the Toros :)) but that quick trigger has hurt. In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.

yavozerb
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
I disagree with the opinion that JA should be brought back for another season since its only 1.5 mil..This $ could be the difference in signing an actual rotation player or starter for years to come. JA has had more chances than most under Pop to establish himself and just has not not produced.

FkLA
01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
He played himself out of the Spurs picking up his option, imho I think the Spurs came into this season with the intention of picking it up. Although considering the Spurs inability to sign big FAs despite the cap space, I wouldnt be surprised if they end up giving him a deal in the offseason.

wildbill2u
01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
End of the bench players are a dime a dozen and there is usually a reason why they ride the pine. It didn't look like JA made the decision a hard one with his recent preformances in the minutes when he got a chance.

As far as JA future is concerned I think he needs playing time to sort things out and should go to D league or Europe. If Cory Joseph can go there, then so can JA.

On the other hand, with JA gone, the Spurs might bring in some additional prospets for short term contracts to take a look.

DJB
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't see a legit point to why we should keep him. I think that the Spurs need to start looking forward and clear as much cap space as possible, even if it's only $1.57mil. Other than having a great stroke early last season, I never saw anything too impressive from Anderson.

timvp
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I disagree with the opinion that JA should be brought back for another season since its only 1.5 mil..This $ could be the difference in signing an actual rotation player or starter for years to come. JA has had more chances than most under Pop to establish himself and just has not not produced.

What I didn't note but probably should have included: The Spurs could have picked up the option and then simply trade him in the summer if they needed the salary cap room. It's likely the Spurs could have traded $2 million and Anderson to a team that needs to reach the salary cap minimum.

While, yes, trading money is now restricted ($3M per season instead of per year) in the new CBA, that's a reasonable "out" in case the scenario of the Spurs having to open that extra cap space became a reality.

timvp
01-26-2012, 02:08 PM
On the other hand, with JA gone, the Spurs might bring in some additional prospets for short term contracts to take a look.

Which begs the question of whether the Spurs should now just get rid of Anderson since his time with the team has essentially ended. Personally, I'd probably be for a salary dumping of JA near the trade deadline. As long as the wings are healthy, the Spurs might as well save some money while avoiding the possible distractions of having a lame duck on the roster.

yavozerb
01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
What I didn't note but probably should have included: The Spurs could have picked up the option and then simply trade him in the summer if they needed the salary cap room. It's likely the Spurs could have traded $2 million and Anderson to a team that needs to reach the salary cap minimum.

While, yes, trading money is now restricted ($3M per season instead of per year) in the new CBA, that's a reasonable "out" in case the scenario of the Spurs having to open that extra cap space became a reality.

That is not a gamble I believe the Spurs would want to take this summer. I would think the spurs would rather be in total control of offseason plans rather than relying on another team to help in creating salary room. Again, in my opinion this is all adding up to increase offers to RFA or FA's in general on the market this summer.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough. Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE. Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.

To put Javtokas and Scola in the category "Spurs gave up too quickly on them" is a reach. Spurs gambled on them with very late second round picks and watched them half a decade playing in Europe before deciding they weren't good enough to get form Spurs the contract they wanted. I see nothing quick in this process.

Beno and Mahinmi fit the description "gave up too quickly" even if it's arguable for Beno. After the 05-06 NVE failure, Spurs gave Beno another long shot and he miserably failed.

When Spurs quickly gave up on a player they signed, they are rarely wrong. I can't fault Spurs FO for giving up quickly on players while their biggest misses are players like Mahinmi, Tolliver or Gee.

GSH
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.

Welcome to Bizarro World. A few seasons ago, I committed the blasphemy of saying that Pop didn't develop young players for shit, and just got flamed to death over it. The fact is, Pop never has done much to recognize that it is a game played by human beings, and not pieces on a chessboard. Just the other night I heard him talk about how tough he was on Tony, and how he figured he would either come through it or crumble. And you can tell that he somehow wants to take credit for how Tony plays now. Absolutely arrogant bastard that he is. Tony was more of a professional when he got here than Gregg Popovich ever was. That's the downside to having a theorist as a coach.

Pop seems to have softened a little - first with Hill and Blair, and now with Green. Not that he's actually developing talent, but at least he isn't constantly beating the crap out of them. And he's actually giving them minutes. And that really makes me think that Anderson isn't showing them much.

Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick? His ceiling was/is "solid rotation player". You don't re-build with solid rotation players, you add them to the roster. Right now, Anderson is a potential rotation player. If the Spurs see signing him as endangering their ability to pick up a top-tier player, then they are probably on the right track. One low-ceiling project, one way or the other, isn't an answer to getting another banner for the rafters.

I said that they could re-sign him, even after failing to pick up his option. But Bruno is dead right - I don't remember seeing it happen. And it's not likely to happen this time. In a couple of seasons, KBP will know all about him. But even if he puts up big numbers, he's not Greek, so we'll just hear that he never developed.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough.

I was under the impression that Scola was a cash dump. Dumb move though, irregardless of the reason.

Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE.

Beno, while a nice offensive player, was too soft defensively, and overall imo. How many teams has he been with now, 3? He couldn't even stick on a bad Kings team, so I don't consider him a big loss.

Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.

Yes, in hindsight,giving up on Mahimni was a mistake. But when they released him, it looked liked, imo, they chose Splitter, over Mahimni. Considering that Dice was still with the team, along with Blair, and Bonner, I didn't have no qualms with the FO letting Ian walk.

They quickly drop obvious scrubs like Marcus Williams (although I'd argue they didn't give up on him fast enough because they wasted time on him with the Toros :)) but that quick trigger has hurt. In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

Pretty much like most NBA front offices.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Really Bruno?

Yeah, that's a joke for long time posters. When Marcus Williams was drafted, I decided to be a fan of him even if he sucked.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah, that's a joke for long time posters. When Marcus Williams was drafted, I decided to be a fan of him even if he sucked.

Marc Gasol would have been nice.

Scary to think of what the front-court could have been.

Duncan/Scola
Gasol/Splitter...

:stirpot:

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Not the first time I didn't get a joke. I too, had hopes for Willimas. Liked the idea of a 6'7" pg.

Maddog
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM

I agree they bail too soon (by the way great article on the injury. I thought maybe just a confidence thing but it may be more than that).
The question is why do they bail so quickly?
The best examples are Ian, Scola and Beno.
Except for Scola I not sure either Ian or Beno where a huge mistake.

With Scola it's somewhat perplexing, but definitely monetarily based. In 07 they where over the cap and per reports at the time Holt wanted to be under. They also had several escalating salaries and "needed" to resign Bonner and Oberto. Thus, Beno was jettisoned for cap space and Scola was used to reduce cap further. To bad they didn't sign Scola and let Oberto and Bonner go.
The interesting thing was nobody wanted to give the Spurs anything for Scola.
I remember Buck Harvey quoting an unnamed scout source saying the Spurs wanted a 1st rounder for his rights but where not going to get it because he didn't think he was that good. I think based on this they convinced themselves he wasn't worth convincing Holt to pony up.
JA I don't have a problem with. I don't think under any conditions he is going to be star and the way he looks now it's going to be years if ever he will be a regular contributor.
Add in that Green and Neal can contribute now, Kawhi can play 2...

CGD
01-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Nice analysis, though, I disagree with the conclusion. I don't think JA's ceiling is higher than Green's at this point, and even if it where it'd be (1) marginal at best, and (2) negated by Green in-game confidence, which JA for some reason lacks. As a result, I don't think JA would be able to supplant anyone ahead of him on the roster especially when Manu/Ford come back (the latter meaning Neal can move back to his natural SG position).

With respect to RJ being amnestyed, I don't think the Spurs do it unless they first sign a replacement 3 like they were trying to do with Butler before the start of the season. While the 2012 SF FA crop maybe better than this past year (Batum, Nocioni, or even Budinger & Young), the Spurs may deem RJ is still the "better" option. Point being, not extending JA may mean we hold on to RJ longer than many here would like.

ElNono
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Surprised nobody brought the typical responses:

- It's easy to say the FO should spend when it's not your money! :dramaquee

- How dare you having an opinion about FO moves? :madrun

- bro, you should send your resume to the FO, you have it all figured out :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Which begs the question of whether the Spurs should now just get rid of Anderson since his time with the team has essentially ended. Personally, I'd probably be for a salary dumping of JA near the trade deadline. As long as the wings are healthy, the Spurs might as well save some money while avoiding the possible distractions of having a lame duck on the roster.I guess they could only get a conditional second rounder for him at this point. Or they could try getting a player in a similar situation they deem salvageable.

There are only a few vet free agents who might be useful at this point and a couple of D-League swingmen worth looking at. They could just as easily play out the string with Anderson and see if he gets any better.

DesignatedT
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
What if Duncan signs for say DROB money (2 years 20 mil) and the Spurs amnesty RJ. Does that give them max money to offer in FA during the off-season?

i dont really care about JA tbqh. Dime a dozen player, along with Green.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I would rather have Mahinmi than Blair or Bonner, no question.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick?Um, no.

elemento
01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Have you guys seen this ?

It looks like they tried to trade him but nobody was interested

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2012/01/why-spurs-passed-on-anderson/

z0sa
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm disappointed about this turn of events. JA has high potential and I'm confident he belongs in this league. However, the glutton of players at the wings, and his own lack of production, has really hurt him. Opportunity knocked, he did not answer.

Best of luck to JA whatever happens. Seems like a great guy and a hard worker, just couldn't get into a groove when he needed to. Additionally, I really would like to know (form him personally) whether the injury has bothered his play in the least.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2012, 03:10 PM
What if Duncan signs for say DROB money (2 years 20 mil) and the Spurs amnesty RJ. Does that give them max money to offer in FA during the off-season?

No it does not.

And you should be worried. With Duncan in father time, and with a poor free agent class (outside of the Williams, Howard, CP3), expect the Spurs to only be candidates for mid-tier level free agents. Spurs more than likely will have to over-pay for mid-tier value (IE: another R.J or Rasho scenario), because of these reasons: 1) SA is no longer a title contender in the view of F.A's. 2) They no longer have a superstar that attracts F.A's. 3) San Antonio is well.. San Antonio; A small market.

Spurs will be better off trading for a reasonable unwanted salary with a year left remaining on the contract, as long as a 1st round pick is attached to the deal (such a deal IE: Player A with 1 year 4 million remaining +1st rounder to Spurs for a 2nd rounder). Given the Spurs situation, and the realistic side of things; that may be the best way to stockpile draft picks and rebuild. I hope Spurs don't use that cap-space to lock in another Rasho type situation for another 4 years.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I would rather have Mahinmi than Blair or Bonner, no question.

No question.

mountainballer
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I also thought it's a no brainer ti pick his option, but on the other hand, I can see quite a few reasons why they didn't.

first off, everyone can see the obvious. even with Manu (and TJ) out, Anderson can't see the floor. Green looks like the player people expected JA to be. end of story. sure, you can keep the young player and that way as well keep the chance alive, that this player pans out later. however, with limited spots and limited money and cap space it's about balance pros and cons.

and they likely said: let's use the spot and the 1.5 million on a player, who plays a position of more need. SG isn't, at least not for this and the next season.
(btw. don't you think they say: let's invest the spot and about the amount of money on De Colo next season? or on Lorbek?)

another point: without the picked option JA will be easier to trade (what will happen soon), if they don't find a taker who offers something in return, they will find a team with a TE that takes him, if the Spurs add the salary. this move will be about reducing tax. it's a pretty simple arithmetic problem.
if a team is somehow interested in JA, they will still prefer him without the additional year. they get a look and he is on an expiring contract, but as far as I can say, they will have early bird rights. even if JA shows decent play there, he won't command more than the MLE. the team that get's JA could resign him without cutting into an exception. some teams might see it like this.

however, I can live with the decision.
and if Spurs had picked his option and they lose on an intriguing FA (because the option takes away more than 6 million from a possible contract offer for a FA) in 2012, I can guarrantee the same people who bash the FO this time for give up on JA would be the first to bash the FO for holding him.

Maddog
01-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I also thought it's a no brainer ti pick his option, but on the other hand, I can see quite a few reasons why they didn't.

first off, everyone can see the obvious. even with Manu (and TJ) out, Anderson can't see the floor. Green looks like the player people expected JA to be. end of story. sure, you can keep the young player and that way as well keep the chance alive, that this player pans out later. however, with limited spots and limited money and cap space it's about balance pros and cons.

and they likely said: let's use the spot and the 1.5 million on a player, who plays a position of more need. SG isn't, at least not for this and the next season.
(btw. don't you think they say: let's invest the spot and about the amount of money on De Colo next season? or on Lorbek?)

another point: without the picked option JA will be easier to trade (what will happen soon), if they don't find a taker who offers something in return, they will find a team with a TE that takes him, if the Spurs add the salary. this move will be about reducing tax. it's a pretty simple arithmetic problem.
if a team is somehow interested in JA, they will still prefer him without the additional year. they get a look and he is on an expiring contract, but as far as I can say, they will have early bird rights. even if JA shows decent play there, he won't command more than the MLE. the team that get's JA could resign him without cutting into an exception. some teams might see it like this.

however, I can live with the decision.
and if Spurs had picked his option and they lose on an intriguing FA (because the option takes away more than 6 million from a possible contract offer for a FA) in 2012, I can guarrantee the same people who bash the FO this time for give up on JA would be the first to bash the FO for holding him.

You are in danger of being banned for an extremely rational take on what appears to be an emotional issue

Spurs Brazil
01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Buck Harvey: Why Spurs passed on Anderson

It’s always more complicated than that, and it was Wednesday. The Spurs worked through the day, making sure they weren’t missing anything. Mostly they were determining if Anderson had any trade value. What they heard: Those teams who had liked Anderson just hadn’t seen enough of him as a pro.

Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2012/01/why-spurs-passed-on-anderson/

tmtcsc
01-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Another bad move by the fo. They must think they have a shot at Batum and some others.

OR

They understand that James Anderson has worked his tail off to improve and still sucks. Sometimes guys miss shots but there is nothing stopping him from being a better defender. He has chosen not to put the effort in.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2012/01/why-spurs-passed-on-anderson/

Thanks for posting this link

This says it all. Once you read Harvey's column, one could understand their rationale for not picking up the option. However, I still say, with RJ most certainly headed out the amnesty door this offseason, that would seemingly warrant taking a longer look at JA. While he's struggled with both injuries and confidence, I just can't see how this guy is deemed expendable. It's too early to give up on him. Remember the Mahinmi!

Obviously, they must have something else up their sleeves.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting this link

This says it all. Once you read Harvey's column, one could understand their rationale for not picking up the option. However, I still say, with RJ most certainly headed out the amnesty door this offseason, that would seemingly warrant taking a longer look at JA. While he's struggled with both injuries and confidence, I just can't see how this guy is deemed expendable. It's too early to give up on him. Remember the Mahinmi!

Obviously, they must have something else up their sleeves.

I agree with you on RJ being amnestied next year. However, I think the better option as a replacemet is Leonard. JA would still be a backup and an undersized backup as well. I'm all for resigning JA at the market price if it is lower than his option price.

TD 21
01-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Apparently they didn't learn their lesson with Mahinmi. One month ago, would they have even considered not picking up his option? I don't think so and if I'm right, then they let one month, where he hasn't even played that much, override common sense?

Whether they plan to do something big in free agency or not, Anderson would have been easy to trade. There's been numerous examples recently (Beasley, Cook, Johnson) of highly regarded - solid prospects being traded for virtually nothing, so that their teams could clear more cap space. Even if all they ended up getting was a 2nd, that's better than nothing. Especially in a deep draft.

Maybe their plan is to free up enough cap space to make a lopsided trade for a big. But if their plan is to go the free agent route, the best realistic fits (save for one) are all RFA's: Arthur, Randolph, Anderson and Thompson. With the possible exception of Anderson, not one figures to command above the MLE, though. So that wouldn't qualify as such a "big move", so as to explain not picking up Anderson's option.

As I alluded to, there is one UFA who, short term would be the best fit: Garnett. I think he's done with the Celtics and will probably retire, unless: 1) The Lakers relent and give up Bynum and Gasol for Howard or 2) Duncan and Pop can talk him into coming to the Spurs.

As far as Duncan, I could see him holding off on signing an extension. In other words, see what big they can get first and then take whatever is left over (within' reason, obviously).

therealtruth
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
JA is probably a better scorer but Green is showing a better all around game right now. Guys like DG are glue guys you like to have.

timvp
01-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Have you guys seen this ?

It looks like they tried to trade him but nobody was interested

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2012/01/why-spurs-passed-on-anderson/

Props to Buck for confirming it :tu

But it wouldn't make sense if this is only about Green. You don't throw away one player for a not yet proven player who will be a free agent. I agree with Buck that Green is part of the equation, but there's no way salary cap space or his injury past aren't bigger parts of the equation.

SpurNation
01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
It might be a different story is the Spurs wern't stacked at the 2, and 3 position. Still I too do not like giving up on a player so soon.

I'd like to think they're not going to give up on him 100% with regards to getting something of value out for him.

As pointed out in the article...the Spurs are more than likely playing the odds. (Wise decision from my pov).

However...that doesn't mean they can not still get something of value in terms of trade or even his salary.

We'll see. If anything...though the 1.57 mil may not be that much for an individual player...it may go a long way being used in conjunction with available cap space in helping to acquire a top free agent. (just speculating)

timvp
01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Looking back on the 2010, it's amazing how bad it was. It's difficult to say the Spurs made a mistake at #20 even after knowing what we know about Anderson.

Landry Fields played well as a rookie but has been pretty bad this year. Jordan Crawford scores but he's a chucker who makes a horrible team even worse. Greivis Vasquez hasn't been anything special in his NBA career (outside of the Spurs series, of course). Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.

I guess in hindsight you take Fields ... but Green is a much better player than Fields so far this season so it wouldn't really change anything.

Heck, the Spurs might take Anderson again if they had it to do over again :lol

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.

Whataburger wouldn't mind. :lol

elemento
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Looking back on the 2010, it's amazing how bad it was. It's difficult to say the Spurs made a mistake at #20 even after knowing what we know about Anderson.

Landry Fields played well as a rookie but has been pretty bad this year. Jordan Crawford scores but he's a chucker who makes a horrible team even worse. Greivis Vasquez hasn't been anything special in his NBA career (outside of the Spurs series, of course). Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.

I guess in hindsight you take Fields ... but Green is a much better player than Fields so far this season so it wouldn't really change anything.

Heck, the Spurs might take Anderson again if they had it to do over again :lol

It's so funny that after i knew about Anderson's situation, i got back to look at the 2010 draft, to see we could have taken a better player than Anderson. It's freaking unbelievable the lack of talent after the lottery.
There isn't a single player after the 20th pick i would say for sure that i would take over James Anderson. As you said, maybe Fields would have a better lucky here. Other than him, the players are really pathetic.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
It's entirely possible that Leonard has made the decision more than Green. KL can guard at least four positions so far and allows you to have shooters in the game at odd times because of his ability to match up. Seems a bit premature just simply because the Spurs almost automatically pick up the option even on players Pop seems to hate. There's got to be a financial angle to this that helps them going forward.

I'd love nothing more than to see JA blow up and earn himself a big contract this summer. That's good for the Spurs and for him.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
No doubt. All he needs to do is find his damn three point shot.

MI21
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen anything from Anderson that leads me to believe he is an NBA quality player. He lacks creativity, has average handles, doesn't defend and plays like a 35 year old. His jumpshot looks ok but doesn't go in.

All in all, this decision doesn't bother me. I'm sure the Spurs could pick up a similar type swingman somewhere along the line off of the scrapheap.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean the spurs shouldn't do it.

Uh, James would have to sign, and I'm thinking that if two teams (and there will be suitors this summer) both offer me the minimum, and one of them was the team that told me I wasn't in their plans, I'd have to sign with the other one to get a fresh start. Not only that, but when Manu and TJ come back, I'd ask for my release, and then place myself in the d-league pool, and draw a second, admittedly small salary, AND almost sure playing time. The Spurs owe him the money for this year, guaranteed.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I really hoped that he could thrive in a pick and roll offense. It was pretty exciting having Parker and Duncan on one side of the floor setting up pick and rolls and I-don't-remember-who and Splitter on the other doing the same thing all at the same time. I think JA could find a place in that kind of offense and maybe get his shot back. A 20 foot jumper's as good as anything else in that kind of offense.

dunkman
01-26-2012, 08:59 PM
The problem with Mahinmi is that he's still more inconsistent than Blair or Bonner and he fouls a lot. I'm not sure the Spurs could give him the playtime he needs to develop. He plays a lot for the Mavs only because Chandler's gone and Odom has some problems. Should have he stayed with the Spurs he wouldn't play a lot. And Ian is still a project.

With Green and Neal, the Spurs don't really need another SG, the Spurs are set there. It seems that JA isn't completely recovered from injuries.

It would be better to add an bigman for the next season, Blair isnt that good.

baseline bum
01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Welcome to Bizarro World. A few seasons ago, I committed the blasphemy of saying that Pop didn't develop young players for shit, and just got flamed to death over it. The fact is, Pop never has done much to recognize that it is a game played by human beings, and not pieces on a chessboard. Just the other night I heard him talk about how tough he was on Tony, and how he figured he would either come through it or crumble. And you can tell that he somehow wants to take credit for how Tony plays now. Absolutely arrogant bastard that he is. Tony was more of a professional when he got here than Gregg Popovich ever was. That's the downside to having a theorist as a coach.

Pop seems to have softened a little - first with Hill and Blair, and now with Green. Not that he's actually developing talent, but at least he isn't constantly beating the crap out of them. And he's actually giving them minutes. And that really makes me think that Anderson isn't showing them much.

Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick? His ceiling was/is "solid rotation player". You don't re-build with solid rotation players, you add them to the roster. Right now, Anderson is a potential rotation player. If the Spurs see signing him as endangering their ability to pick up a top-tier player, then they are probably on the right track. One low-ceiling project, one way or the other, isn't an answer to getting another banner for the rafters.

I said that they could re-sign him, even after failing to pick up his option. But Bruno is dead right - I don't remember seeing it happen. And it's not likely to happen this time. In a couple of seasons, KBP will know all about him. But even if he puts up big numbers, he's not Greek, so we'll just hear that he never developed.

Malik Rose and Stephen Jackson were two players who were complete nobodies before coming here and playing under Pop. Parker would have been a star without Pop, but I'm not sure about the other two guys. Jack was basically playing himself out of the league and Malik was just an end of the bench scrub in Charlotte. I think Pop deserves enormous credit for seeing really good players there and for bringing Jack along slowly to make him hungry for that spot he began to excel in once Smith got hurt.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Sure they're trying to develop talent now because they have no other choice - and it's about time. However, I still don't agree with the JA decision and, because of their short-sighted decision on Mahinmi, which I hope they're regretting right about now, I'm not going to give them a pass on this one.

Now I will reserve the right to change my mind, once I see what they're going to do this offseason.

Cane
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
On the one hand, JA's been absolute crap since his injury. On the other, he hasn't earned or been handed that many opportunities since his injury either.

But if the Spurs let him go or keep him, I don't really care. College scorers like JA who didn't really look like NBA specimens generally struggle in the NBA, and with a foot injury its just not looking good. His handles are also pretty weak.

Spurs have enough perimeter players. Package JA and his potential for a legit big that is capable of contributing something in the playoffs

stephen jackson
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
might as well trade him

SpurNation
01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Package JA and his potential for a legit big that is capable of contributing something in the playoffs

You won't get a legit big man in a package for just "potential". The Spurs best bet is using his disposed salary in to next years cap space.

This sucks if one was on the belief he was going to be the next draft miracle the Spurs found. But that's life. Sometimes you win. Sometimes things happen.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-26-2012, 11:28 PM
As an unrestricted FA this summer, his trade value is zero, other than a team like Indy that is below the minimum salary amount right now. If he sucks, you've paid for that. If he blows up, he's gone.

jesterbobman
01-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Definitely a notable point. If we assume we Amnesty RJ, bringing over de Colo gives us

Leonard
Manu/Neal/De Colo(Draft Rights)
Parker/Joseph

as perimeter players, with Green a RFA. Include a draft pick in there, aswell as whatever you can get in FA and it's hard to see a role for Anderson. While he might develop with minutes, so might the other Young perimeter players in that group, and an extra million in cap space might make the difference for some players who are looking at ~10 million a year.

If he gets to be a rotation level player, we'll be annoyed, and he has the talent to do it somewhere. But he might never get there, in which case it's money wasted on him. If we weren't going to be able to get under the cap, We should hold on to him, but the fact that we are is significant, and opinions on holding onto him have to be viewed in light of the chance to upgrade our team with a superior free agent.

therealtruth
01-27-2012, 04:05 AM
JA looked ok in the first few games. He showed an ability to create his shot and take his man of the dribble.

TJastal
01-27-2012, 05:08 AM
You won't get a legit big man in a package for just "potential". The Spurs best bet is using his disposed salary in to next years cap space.

This sucks if one was on the belief he was going to be the next draft miracle the Spurs found. But that's life. Sometimes you win. Sometimes things happen.

I don't know about that. Look at all JA fanboys still in utter denial in here. So who knows, there could be a GM still out there who has still rates him high on their list and is dumb enough to part with something of value.

K-State Spur
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Anderson is slow and unathletic. When we drafted him a year ago all you heard was how athletic he was, bigger than Hill, and a true SG who could play D and score points.

I don't know who said that. Coming out of OSU, he was one of the most skilled players in the draft, the whole reason that he fell to the Spurs was questions reagarding his athleticism.

Spurtacus
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't like this move. JA hasn't shown much this year but that can be attributed to playing time.

The decision to let JA go only increases the chances we'll see RJ in a Spurs uniform next season.

Maddog
01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know who said that. Coming out of OSU, he was one of the most skilled players in the draft, the whole reason that he fell to the Spurs was questions reagarding his athleticism.

I think the athleticism is definitely a concern- Buck Harveyarticle mentions the Spurs concern that the NBA game is too fast for him.
I am OK with the decision.

The Spurs have released players before so they could have other opportunities- I wonder if they saw little chance for JA to develop here and that played into it?

elemento
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
The only problem that i have with Anderson leaving is that we couldn't get anything for him. I feel we should have kept him at least his 3rd year and than try to grab something in return.

OKC got a 2nd round pick for Mullens. Minny got 2 2nd round picks for Lazar Hayward. And their situation were even worse than Anderson's situation.

Anyway. It's done and i just wish Anderson lucky in another team, if he can make it.

SenorSpur
01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I cannot believe that we're sitting here talking about Anderson in the past tense and he's still on the roster. Are the Spurs going to allow this kid to walk away scot-free, become a Dallas Maverick and develop on their dime too?

If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.

CGD
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
In all likelihood if JA ever "develops" it's GOING to be on another team. Spurs know that; however, for his current level of play, there are too many worthy players ahead of him.

The best thing for JA in terms of staying here, would be if Neal turns out to be a one-hit wonder and Spurs re-sign JA this summer as a FA. I actually think the Spurs are doing the right thing by JA.

TheCerebral1
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
He could be a good mix player on a lot of teams. Seeing them not keep him versus having trash like Bonner on the team is garbage to me. It's good news for Kawhi and a few others though. Means that Green has officially overtaken him in the rotation.

TheCerebral1
01-27-2012, 02:38 PM
In all likelihood if JA ever "develops" it's GOING to be on another team. Spurs know that; however, for his current level of play, there are too many worthy players ahead of him.

The best thing for JA in terms of staying here, would be if Neal turns out to be a one-hit wonder and Spurs re-sign JA this summer as a FA. I actually think the Spurs are doing the right thing by JA.

Totally agree with that. Neal does a lot of things right. I don't really have a lot of issues with it...I just like Anderson's game.

Proxy
01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.

Please enlighten us on how JA has been a "steal"

Spurtacus
01-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Please enlighten us on how JA has been a "steal"

He was regarded as the steal of the draft by a few analysts...then again it seems most Spurs picks are these days (Blair, Leonard).

ChumpDumper
01-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I cannot believe that we're sitting here talking about Anderson in the past tense and he's still on the roster. Are the Spurs going to allow this kid to walk away scot-free, become a Dallas Maverick and develop on their dime too?

If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.Why?

That draft sucked ass and Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.

TJastal
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Why?

That draft sucked ass and Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.

He's just gnashing his teeth now because he's put some much effort into hyping the boy up.

:lol

timvp
01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
So I emailed a draft expert to ask if it was known what happened to James Anderson's left foot that he broke in high school. The response: Anderson needed a pin, screw and plate to repair a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

So he has a pin, screw and plate in his left foot and a pin in his right foot.

Sad to say but I don't think someone can play in the NBA with that much steel in their feet. I'm starting to shift to the "the Spurs made the right decision" camp. Hmmm . . .

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
So I emailed a draft expert to ask if it was known what happened to James Anderson's left foot that he broke in high school. The response: Anderson needed a pin, screw and plate to repair a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

So he has a pin, screw and plate in his left foot and a pin in his right foot.

Sad to say but I don't think someone can play in the NBA with that much steel in their feet. I'm starting to shift to the "the Spurs made the right decision" camp. Hmmm . . .

Valid point. I forget who posted a list of NBA players who have had the same foot injury and came back, but the success rate was pretty bad IIRC, and that was just for one foot, let alone both feet.

Russ
01-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.

When I said the same a year ago, you were quite dismissive . . .

Glad to see you've come around :), but sad (for our team) that I was correct . . .

Bruno
01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
In addition to that, a right foot fucked is more problematic than a left foot fucked.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
When I said the same a year ago, you were quite dismissive . . .

Glad to see you've come around :), but sad (for our team) that I was correct . . .Yeah, I hope against hope when it comes to injuries.

SenorSpur
01-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Why?

If this is, in fact, the case, it's sad and I'll certainly retract my statement.

Russ
01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I hope against hope when it comes to injuries.

Hold on to your hope!

And let it positively influence your opinion of others. :flag:

ChumpDumper
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
If this is, in fact, the case, it's sad and I'll certainly retract my statement.The draft's suckiness is self-evident, and the seriousness of the injury was illustrated by LJ (and probably earlier by someone like Bruno).

It's always tough to see a team just give up on a player. Money almost always has an influence in these situations. It would be great if all team decisions happened in a cashless vacuum, but they don't.

elemento
01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
In addition to that, a right foot fucked is more problematic than a left foot fucked.

Why is it more problematic ?

Bruno
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Why is it more problematic ?

That's his strong foot, which is more solicited when, for example, taking a jump shot. Some players uses almost equally both legs but JA, either because it was his natural shooting mechanic or because of his previous left foot injury, was using way more his right leg/foot when taking a jump shot.

mystargtr34
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I lost this in the shuffle the past 48 hrs, but very surprised that Spurs didn't pick up James Anderson's option.

timvp
01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Bruno with a perceptive take, per usual.

Hollinger's own stats point to JA being a scrub so he shouldn't be too surprised. JA had an ~8 PER last year and has an ~8 PER this year.

mystargtr34
01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah he made the comment based on the Spurs draft effect. Spurs picks are automatically considered steals.

will_spurs
01-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Beaubois might have seen his stock drop even further. After his rookie season, the Mavericks went on record as saying they wouldn't trade him for anyone outside of the two best players in the NBA. That year, he shot 40.9% on three-pointers. But after his foot injury, he shot 30.1% on threes in his sophomore season. Currently, Beaubois has gone from a player the Mavs built their marketing campaign around to a guy with an uncertain future in the league.

Reports of Beaubois' death might be a bit premature :)

The thing that worries me the most about this decision is that the risk seemed low, because it was what, a $200-300k difference in the end? Maybe the Spurs will really need the money next season, but from what we've seen in the past the Spurs would be better off taking cheap bets than hoping to land a coveted free agent...

MaNu4Tres
01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
This is why sample size and opportunity are critical when assessing a players ability.

Good game James. :tu

jesterbobman
01-29-2012, 10:17 PM
In addition to PER, Wages of Wins Stats (WP48) points to Anderson being well below average, though he rated well coming out of College.

Though today was a good game.

GSH
01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Maybe the consequence of not picking up his option was that it lit a fire under his ass. If that's what it took, then it was a great decision. For his sake, I hope that's what happened, and that tonight wasn't a fluke. If he keeps playing like this, the Spurs will either sign him, or someone else will.

Ice009
01-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Maybe the consequence of not picking up his option was that it lit a fire under his ass. If that's what it took, then it was a great decision. For his sake, I hope that's what happened, and that tonight wasn't a fluke. If he keeps playing like this, the Spurs will either sign him, or someone else will.

I was really please with James' game tonight. I wanted him to get more of a chance even though he hasn't been great, I still wanted him to get more chances.

Whether or not his play tonight was because of the option or not I don't know, but he played a lot better.

At this point I'd rather bench RJ and start JA in his spot. James at least tries, RJ is just too listless to be in that starting 5.

Ditty
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
I hope he can come in, and play RJ's minutes tomorrow if he continues to struggle. Like I said it takes time to get going again, but I sure hope tonight wasn't a one game fluke. JA sure did look like a NBA player tonight.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I hope he can come in, and play RJ's minutes tomorrow if he continues to struggle. Like I said it takes time to get going again, but I sure hope tonight wasn't a one game fluke. JA sure did look like a NBA player tonight.

Agree. Like GSH stated, maybe not picking up his option lit a fire under Anderson's ass. Hope to see this Anderson version.

Bruno
01-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Only 4 days after the deadline, the decision of not picking JA's option looks horrible...

Buddy Holly
01-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Only 4 days after the deadline, the decision of not picking JA's option looks horrible...

1 game erases all the suck ass before? No.

If he gets the minutes and performs like he did yesterday, then yes, not a good decision but let the grass grow before you cut it.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Oops.

Bruno
01-30-2012, 01:16 AM

Yes.

Showing a glimpse of being NBA material is enough to pick up a that cheap option.

MaNu4Tres
01-30-2012, 01:20 AM

If he gets the minutes and performs like he did yesterday, then yes, not a good decision but let the grass grow before you cut it.

All the suck ass?

The guy hardly played.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 01:23 AM
What's the big deal? The spurs can still offer him another contract if he proves himself worthy.

MaNu4Tres
01-30-2012, 01:45 AM
What's the big deal? The spurs can still offer him another contract if he proves himself worthy.

Anderson will have a hard time finding time to prove himself this year because of the emergence of Danny Green.

My thing is, Neal's already going on 28 and he will be due a 400-500% increase in his salary a year from now. Which brings me to the scenario of the Spurs having to choose to pay either Neal or Green. Both of their market value should be between 3-5 million. I don't see the logic in paying both off, more specifically Neal due to his age and his skill-set (which are both best suited for a contender;which Spurs obviously won't be a year or two from now).

With that being said, Anderson could of been on the books for very cheap after the Neal/Green decision was decided-- which would insure the Spurs depth at the 2/3 for another 2-3 years for a very cheap price.

Piss poor move by Spurs F.O IMO.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
What's the big deal? The spurs can still offer him another contract if he proves himself worthy.Not much of one. And he doesn't have to take it.

The Spurs tried to play the odds. We'll see how things work out.

angelbelow
01-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Not much of one. And he doesn't have to take it.

The Spurs tried to play the odds. We'll see how things work out.

Agreed... not enough information yet. I would have liked to see us pick up the option but we didn't so we have to move on. Couple of scenarios:

-If Anderson turns out to be the type of player who can consistently do what he did tonight, he'll get something more than 1.5million. In that scenario the Spurs lose because we'd have to pay him more than his original deal or he leaves and becomes a solid player for another team.

-If we continue to let him ride the bench because he legitimately can't/not ready to help the team then we can possibly resign him to a similar deal starting at 1.2 million for 2 years with the 2nd being another team option.

-Green/Neal become consistent enough to earn 3yr 9million deals then we might not be able to justify JA at 1.2-1.5 range therefore letting him walk.

-Continue to gauge his trade value and eventually pull the trigger on a 2nd round pick or maybe as a trade filler/incentive for a big.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Agreed... not enough information yet. I would have liked to see us pick up the option but we didn't so we have to move on. Couple of scenarios:

-If Anderson turns out to be the type of player who can consistently do what he did tonight, he'll get something more than 1.5million. In that scenario the Spurs lose because we'd have to pay him more than his original deal or he leaves and becomes a solid player for another team.

-If we continue to let him ride the bench because he legitimately can't/not ready to help the team then we can possibly resign him to a similar deal starting at 1.2 million for 2 years with the 2nd being another team option.

-Green/Neal become consistent enough to earn 3yr 9million deals then we might not be able to justify JA at 1.2-1.5 range therefore letting him walk.

-Continue to gauge his trade value and eventually pull the trigger on a 2nd round pick or maybe as a trade filler/incentive for a big.

I'll take the last one.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM

They can't offer him more than the option they failed to pick up.

GSH
01-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Only one day before the deadline, it didn't look like a factor one way or the other. You can't think it was a coincidence that this was the first good game we've seen from JA this year?

elemento
01-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Only time will tell if that was the right choice or not.

spursfaninla
02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Interesting rule I did not know about, we can't offer above the option. Unless jefferson goes down I doubt ja gets enough time to prove himself. Green looks here to stay and rj is a known quantity. It will be tough otherwise for ja to prove himself in spot minutes. I think it is a good flex move but if somebody is hurt and ja surprises we lose.

GSH
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes.

Showing a glimpse of being NBA material is enough to pick up a that cheap option.

NBA teams don't generall pay a lot for a "glimpse" of the ability to play. Ian Mahinmi showed a "glimpse" every now and then. You, yourself said that the Spurs were right to part ways with him. The Mavs only had to pay him 884K this season. And Mahinmi is 6'10" - Anderson is 6'6". The D-League is full of small to medium-sized guys who have some potential.

Sorry, but that one game isn't going to make James Anderson stand out from the crowd. And there wasn't anything (this year) before that one game to make him stand out from the crowd. He's going to have to do more than that before the other teams come calling.

And BTW - that "cheap option" is only cheap if he shows more than a "glimpse" in one game.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Anderson will have a hard time finding time to prove himself this year because of the emergence of Danny Green.

My thing is, Neal's already going on 28 and he will be due a 400-500% increase in his salary a year from now. Which brings me to the scenario of the Spurs having to choose to pay either Neal or Green. Both of their market value should be between 3-5 million. I don't see the logic in paying both off, more specifically Neal due to his age and his skill-set (which are both best suited for a contender;which Spurs obviously won't be a year or two from now).

With that being said, Anderson could of been on the books for very cheap after the Neal/Green decision was decided-- which would insure the Spurs depth at the 2/3 for another 2-3 years for a very cheap price.

Piss poor move by Spurs F.O IMO.

I'd be more upset if it was Green that had an option and the Spurs decided not to pick up. Anderson has done nothing to justify his option being picked up. The level that Anderson is playing it would seem that the Spurs could find a marginal player to fill same role Anderson has perfomred in two years.

Chinook
10-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Although I haven't seen any official reports indicating the Spurs did not pick up the third year option of James Anderson's rookie contract, it's safe to assume that's indeed the case since the deadline to do so passed yesterday at midnight. As a result of the decision, Anderson will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The Spurs could have kept Anderson around for another season for approximately $1.57 million. By not doing so, the franchise dropped the first significant hint that this forthcoming offseason could be rather interesting. As Bruno pointed out in the Think Tank (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189690), due in large part to Tim Duncan's contract coming off the books, the Spurs could open up enough salary cap space to sign a free agent to a max contract. However, in such a scenario, Duncan would either have to retire or sign with another team for San Antonio to open up that much space.

A more likely scenario is the front office will offer Duncan a below market value contract with the incentive being that the team will have enough salary cap space to sign a significant free agent. For example, if the Spurs can sell Duncan on the idea of taking a $5 million deal, they could have more than $11 million to offer a free agent.

If you remember correctly, David Robinson's final contract with the Spurs was for $20 million over two years. If Duncan signs a similar deal, that would still give the Spurs the ability to open up enough space to outbid other teams who are only equipped with the mid-level exception.

It makes little sense to not pick up Anderson's option unless the Spurs are valuing every potential dollar they can save against next year's salary cap. $1.57 million is simply not much money at all -- it's less than $700K more than the minimum salary. For example, it's not much more money than the Spurs will pay to keep Malcolm Thomas around for the duration of this season.

If you go back to the beginning of last year, it looked like a 100% lock that the Spurs would pickup the option on Anderson. In the first six games of Anderson's rookie season, he was averaging seven points in 17.7 minutes per game, while draining 10-of-20 three-point attempts. Not only was he hitting his shots, he was playing well defensively and simply looked like a natural basketball player. Though a role player at the time, the fit was seamless and he flashed quite a bit of potential.

Unfortunately, after feeling pain in his right foot, an MRI showed a stress fracture in his fifth metatarsal. Anderson had surgery to insert a pin to help stabilize the bone. A couple months later, he was back on the court -- but he hasn't been the same since.

Shooting went from Anderson's biggest strength to his most glaring weakness. Last season, he hit just 8-of-26 three-pointers (30.8%) after his return. This year, he's even worse, having hit only 6-of-28 three-pointers (21.4%). For a player who hit 38% of his three-pointers in college and 50% of his three-pointers in the NBA, it's been a stunning drop.

At first, I attributed Anderson's drop in shooting accuracy to a small sample size exacerbated by an inconsistent role. But after researching the history of players who suffered similar injuries, I now think it's his injury that has sidetracked his shooting.

Travis Outlaw, Roddy Beaubois and Brandon Jennings all recently suffered similar injuries and underwent similar surgeries. Outlaw went from being one of the best bench forwards in the NBA to being literally the worst player in the NBA -- mostly due to a lost shooting touch. In his two years prior to his injury, Outlaw shot 39.6% and 37.8% on three-pointers, respectively. Last year, he shot 30.2% on threes. This season, the 27-year-old is shooting 14.3% from deep.

Jennings suffered his fifth metatarsal injury last season. Prior to his injury, he was shooting 36.7% on three-pointers (and he shot 37.4% the previous season). After getting the surgery and returning to action, Jennings was just 51-175 on three-pointers -- or just 29.1%.

Going further back in history, George Lynch had the same procedure prior to the 2001-02 season. He was coming off a season in which he shot 44.5% from the field and made 15 three-pointers. But after returning to action, Lynch shot just 36.9% from the field and made just one three-pointer in 45 games.

Bill Walton's career was derailed by a fifth metatarsal injury. Yao Ming injured his fifth metatarsal in 2006. Previously, Yao had only missed two games in his first three seasons in the NBA. After the injury, he was never healthy again.

And let's not forget David Robinson. The injury that forced him to miss the entire 1996-97 season? A broken fifth metatarsal. And while Robinson was still a great player after returning to action, he never did reclaim all of his previous athleticism (thankfully, he had athleticism to burn).

In researching fifth metatarsal injuries, the main reason why this injury is so damning is because the foot never regains complete mobility or stability. In fact, I read a study that shows that up to 40% of athletes will require further surgery after the initial procedure. Of the players I listed, Beaubois, Walton and Yao needed multiple surgeries.

Another player, Damion James for the Nets, injured his fifth metatarsal last season and underwent surgery. This year, he experienced more pain in his foot and tests showed he needed a second surgery and is now out for the season. (By the way, he too saw a drop in performance following the injury. The second-year forward shot 44.7% as a rookie but only 37.1% from the field this year.)

Could the Spurs have decided to not pick up Anderson because they don't think he'll fully recover? It's possible -- and the above examples show their skepticism may be valid. Even worse for Anderson is the fact that he suffered a fifth metatarsal injury to his left foot when he was in high school. I couldn't find an example of a player who had a successful career after injuring their fifth metatarsals in both feet.

That said, despite those valid injury concerns, I can't say that I agree with San Antonio's decision. Even though he's in the middle of his second season in the NBA, he's never had a full training camp (he had a hamstring injury last year) and has never had the opportunity to play in summer league. With as small as his third year salary would have been, I believe the right move was to allow him to play in summer league, put him through a full training camp and then decide his future.

During the lockout, Anderson was getting rave reviews everywhere he was working out. Jared Dudley of the Suns specifically named Anderson and called him a "great young prospect". In the abbreviated training camp after the lockout, Tony Parker said that Anderson was the most impressive young player in the practices. During preseason, though he was missing most of his shots, he showed quite a bit of skill.

While it's true that I don't know the full specifics of Anderson's foot injuries, and while it may be prudent for the Spurs to keep money off the books heading into a potentially busy offseason, this decision is questionable at best. Not that long ago, Anderson was considered a potential steal in the draft. Add in a very good start to his career and some rave reviews by fellow players -- and I just don't agree with cutting bait so soon.

Yeesh. Supposedly, Jones fractures kill shooting touch. That's kind of a big deal for Durant.

exstatic
10-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeesh. Supposedly, Jones fractures kill shooting touch. That's kind of a big deal for Durant.

Yeah, this could be very not good for him and OKC.

benefactor
10-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Was one of the first people I thought of when the news of the injury came out. Really, really sucks for Durant if it plays out the same way.

RD2191
10-12-2014, 01:05 PM
:wakeup

10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Based God's curse

Brazil
10-14-2014, 08:29 AM

damn... I totally underestimated potential consequences of his injury tbh

the more I read the more I see this fracture sucks

10-14-2014, 01:19 PM
damn... I totally underestimated potential consequences of his injury tbh

the more I read the more I see this fracture sucks
Patty and Jennings are playing the best bball of their careers since their injury, so there's hope for okc

ohmwrecker
10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Patty and Jennings are playing the best bball of their careers since their injury, so there's hope for okc

Durant's body frame is totally different than a couple of PGs though.

Chinook
10-14-2014, 01:33 PM

Patty, yes. Jennings, no. Brandon still hasn't recovered his stroke. He went from being a RoY favorite to being a horrible contract almost exclusively because he's inefficient as hell now.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Jennings is a very poor example - he's been shooting .380 for the past two seasons, even his FT shooting has gone down significantly.

10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Patty, yes. Jennings, no. Brandon still hasn't recovered his stroke. He went from being a RoY favorite to being a horrible contract almost exclusively because he's inefficient as hell now.

Yeah I'm aware of him not being an efficient player but he was never an efficient player. He shot 37.4% from three in 2009-2010, but his fg percentage was a god awful 37% percent overall. In fact, had his best shooting season in 2012-2013, during his last season with Milwaukee. His bad efficiency comes from his bad shot selection and not being able to to finish with his right hand iirc.

10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Jennings is a very poor example - he's been shooting .380 for the past two seasons, even his FT shooting has gone down significantly.

His career best fg percentage was the year after his injury.

10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Durant's body frame is totally different than a couple of PGs though.hmm not sure how his body type would have an effect on his injury.