PDA

View Full Version : Pacers not extending george hill

e20dylan
01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Could he be making his way back to the spurs in a under the table kinda way?

elemento
01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I think they'll match any offer unless it's way too big, something i doubt considering his performance so far.
From what I've heard, they're not so thrilled about him as they were when they got him. He is a hometown guy and even if he is not what they expected, they will keep him. He will probably get MLE money.

lcroock
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Roy Hibbert will also be a RFA this summer. Perfect fit for the Spurs with his shot blocking ability. Will be tough to steal him but the Spurs will have to take chances with the RFAs available (Hibbert, Batum,Mcgee).

jesterbobman
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
It's a cap management move from the Pacers perspective.

Hill, as the 26th pick (And Hibbert, as the 17th pick) will have cheaper qualifying offers/cap holds than any contract he'd sign. As the Pacers will have cap space with the two on cap holds, there's no point in giving away extensions unless the deal was ridiculously cheap, and neither Hill or Hibbert were going to take ridiculously cheap deals.

Both restricted, and will in all likelyhood resign with the Pacers.

dbestpro
01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
There is a good chance that somebody will give Hibbert superstar cash.

CGD
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
It's a cap management move from the Pacers perspective.

Hill, as the 26th pick (And Hibbert, as the 17th pick) will have cheaper qualifying offers/cap holds than any contract he'd sign. As the Pacers will have cap space with the two on cap holds, there's no point in giving away extensions unless the deal was ridiculously cheap, and neither Hill or Hibbert were going to take ridiculously cheap deals.

Both restricted, and will in all likelyhood resign with the Pacers.

In other words they're going to let the market dictate what they should pay for these player (i.e., they'll match offers). Makes sense for Hill, but may be risky for Hibbert since some team will likely overpay for him. Then again, Pacers have loads of cap space next summer.

dbestpro
01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Pacers will try to make a move on Eric Gordan, which could open the door for Hill to go elsewhere.

jesterbobman
01-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Eric Gordon, but yeah. Him, or a player like him(in terms of caliber) is the motivation from the Pacers POV from not extending Hibbert and Hill.

Em-City
01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
There's no way Pacers are letting hibbert go. he's having a great season and is their only true center.

Hill is expendable given the skill which Paul George has shown but they'll probably re-sign him since he backs up both collison and Paul George.

Either way, i don't really see any value in having him back here

01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
pacers are definitely gunning for eric gordon. no sense in having two undersized shooting guards.

Nathan Explosion
01-26-2012, 06:59 PM
If the Spurs were to target Hibbert, it would make sense seeing as how Hibbert leans on Duncan for advice and scouting reports.

While the coaching staff does a great job of preparing game plans, Hibbert is also getting is own personal scouting report from San Antonio Spurs legend Tim Duncan to add to Big Roy's confidence which has become a constant.....I text him and I ask him how to play different big guys to help me with the little moves to get a little edge on guys," Hibbert said. "So he's just like a little voice in my ear and I keep in touch with him regularly....He gives me a scouting report," Hibbert explained. "He's been down that road, playing against all of these guys before, so he knows how to play them....Yeah, he tells me to use this foot or use this hand to shield guys off," Hibbert said. "So he tells me the small little things I can do for my game to improve.

Link (http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/1/16/2710745/roy-hibbert-tim-duncan-scouting-reports-indiana-pacers-2012)

Would be very difficult to get him though.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2012, 07:30 PM
If we drop Anderson, bring back hill

timvp
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Hill is having the best season of his career. As jesterbobman said, not extending Hill now is a cap move. Unless they sign a max free agent guard, I expect Hill to re-sign with the Pacers.

It'll be interesting to see how much Hill gets on the open market. My guess would be something in the neighborhood of $6 million a season. If a team thought he could be a starting point guard, he could make more -- but it's becoming clear that Hill's just not capable of being a starting point guard due to a lack of playmaking.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Hill is having the best season of his career.

I ask this not to be combative, but is he really? It doesn't feel like he is. If I were the Pacers I think I'd be disappointed. I certainly wasn't surprised by their decision.

timvp
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
I ask this not to be combative, but is he really?

I'd say he is. Highest PER and highest true shooting percentage of his career. Steals and rebounding up. Turnovers down. After a slow start in his first four games, he's shooting >51% from both the field and three-point line since then.

He hasn't blossomed into a star or anything but for a bench guard on a new team after a lockout, he's playing about as well as could have been expect, IMO.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I knew he'd shown some relative signs of life lately, but I didn't realize it was that good. he must have been pretty abysmal at the beginning for his averages not to show it. I certainly hope he keeps it up for his sake. He's a good kid.

Russ
01-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I'd say he is. Highest PER and highest true shooting percentage of his career. Steals and rebounding up. Turnovers down. After a slow start in his first four games, he's shooting >51% from both the field and three-point line since then.

He hasn't blossomed into a star or anything but for a bench guard on a new team after a lockout, he's playing about as well as could have been expect, IMO.

Right on. He's having his best season.

Except for one little stat if you're looking for a point guard.

timvp
01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Right on. He's having his best season.

Except for one little stat if you're looking for a point guard.

Yeah, George Hill is averaging the same number of assists per minute as Matt Bonner. Seriously. Hill isn't just a bad playmaker for a point guard, he's a bad playmaker for a bigman.

Cory Joseph is about as green as they get and he averages more than 2.5 times more assists per minute than Hill. Going forward, Hill is basically a 6-foot-2 small forward.

That said, he's a solidly above average player who would end up being a good investment for a team for around $5M per year.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
For a guy that was such a prolific scorer in college, I'm still a bit disappointed that he doesn't blow up more.

Sean Cagney
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I like Hill but I am happy we got the trade and snatched leonard! Would I want him back as a backup for a good price yeah, but otherwise nah he is what he is and thats a good guard off the bench and nothing more.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
George Hill is a player. Rest assured he will drop 30 on yall when yall play Indy.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I like Hill but I am happy we got the trade and snatched leonard! Would I want him back as a backup for a good price yeah, but otherwise nah he is what he is and thats a good guard off the bench and nothing more.

So am I, but I wouldn't want Hill back. Between Gary Neal's cold-blooded scoring. Kawai Leonard's size and defense and the combination of both T.J. Ford and Cory Joseph as backup PG, I believe we've got Hill's spot, and his contributions, more than covered.

stephen jackson
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
wow didnt know hibb, talked to timmy ona regular basis, timmy doesnt seem like the guy to do that sort of stuff.

sehui
01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I love hill, but man we are too deep in the guard position. He isn't a true PG and small for the 2 position.

With Neal, Manu, Danny Green, possibly Leonard at the 2, there's really no room for him. I wish him the best of luck in his future career however.

Sean Cagney
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
:rollin
George Hill is a player. Rest assured he will drop 30 on yall when yall play Indy.

:rollin:rollin

TJastal
01-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Have to admit, Hill hasn't found the level of consistency I would have hoped, but give him time. He's still only 25 years old with alot left on the meter.

And although the pacers are dead last in the league in playmaking (assists), they are still winning with defense. Hill's on the ball defense has been great so far, even when his offensive contributions have been off.

The guy I think the pacers should go after is not oft-injured Eric Gordon, but Steve Nash. I think he would help that team instanly shore up its weaknessess (playmaking), and allow Collison to run the bench unit which would allow Hill to play more to his strengths. Plus Nash would come a whole lot cheaper.

therealtruth
01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
:rollin

:rollin:rollin

Kawhi or Green will lock him up.

DMC
01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
GHill has hit his peak. He's not going to get better. He will fill a role player niche on some team if he's lucky, and retire a millionaire nonetheless.

cheguevara
01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
He could be a good fit for the lakers

lebomb
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
LMMFAO.............you same haters were flipping out when Hill was traded during the draft. Make up your farkin minds. :rolleyes

SilverSpur
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
He was pops favorite player. If he has a chance to get him back on the team, he will. Spurs can deal with the over crowding at guard later. Manu is breaking down and tj ford is only temporary.
I for one want him back.

SilverSpur
01-27-2012, 06:42 PM
LMMFAO.............you same haters were flipping out when Hill was traded during the draft. Make up your farkin minds. :rolleyes

I agree. What could be better than having both Leonard and Hill. You all get back the play you hated to see go and the player you wanted to see drafted. Bring Hill back.

objective
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Mike Wells, Pacers beat writer segment (http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2160)

George Hill and the Pacers were working on an extension but talks broke down before the deadline.

Hill wanted 7.5 a year, Pacers were offering 6 a year.

timvp
01-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Mike Wells, Pacers beat writer segment (http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2160)

George Hill and the Pacers were working on an extension but talks broke down before the deadline.

Hill wanted 7.5 a year, Pacers were offering 6 a year.

Great find :tu

I can't blame the Pacers for not going higher than $6M/year. That's about the most he'll get on the open market. He's a barely better than MLE type player.

$7.5M/year for someone who is probably destined to always come off the bench is too much, IMO. I think Hill will regret not taking the Pacers offer but I guess we'll see. Maybe some team out there will be convinced he could start at point guard.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Not a surprise Hill wants 7.5 mill/year. That's his agent doing good work but he'll probably end up with the MLE.

InK
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow cant beleive they refused a 6m extension. I assumed Hill was worth around 4m a year beeing a undersized sg who cant pass the ball. Even Ariza after great PO performances didnt manage to squeeze more then MLE out of any team, but GHill wants +7m? Weird

spurtech09
01-27-2012, 10:25 PM
bring hill back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

++SaiNt TiAg0++
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
heck yea you take hill back he knows the system and could blossom with POP. just throwing it out there when i heard we were getting leonard believe me it helped the pain and was relieved

8FOR!3
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd definitely take Hill back as the backup PG. I don't think he was a huge loss, but there's been some times where I wish we still had him.

SenorSpur
01-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Folks, let go of the Hill emotion.

jjktkk
01-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Folks, let go of the Mahimni emotion.

fify :toast

Brutalis
01-28-2012, 03:24 AM
I still scratch my head on why they took him and basically just gave us Leonard.

elemento
01-28-2012, 06:43 AM
It was a great trade for us.

Seriously, Hill is not worth 7.5m/year. I don't want any part of him back for this kind of price.

TheCerebral1
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Getting George Hill back while still having Kawhi Leonard would be amazing.

TheCerebral1
01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
It was a great trade for us.

Seriously, Hill is not worth 7.5m/year. I don't want any part of him back for this kind of price.

Very true, if he comes back with a discount I'd be very opened to it. It was a very confusing move for them with Collison being a similar type of player. Hill's range on defense with his long arms is a plus to that on DC, but still.

TJastal
01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Very true, if he comes back with a discount I'd be very opened to it. It was a very confusing move for them with Collison being a similar type of player. Hill's range on defense with his long arms is a plus to that on DC, but still.

I'd take Hill back as well, but only at 4-5m max.

I'm dissappointed in his recent play. Hill probably needs to let some air out of his head. And until he shores up his consistency issues and/or shows some point guard skills to justify his label as a 'combo guard' he is worth MLE money at most and that is even a stretch. I'm still holding out some hope he will come around however. He's still one of my faves.

But right now, Danny Green is showing more point guards skills and court awareness but in a much bigger, taller package.

TJastal
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Here's what they're saying over at Pacers' Digest:

I said it when I heard he was just a one year contract, he's got an "under the table" deal to sign back with San Antonio. That's what my gut tells me. They both loved each other and I can see them saying, "Look, we have the opportunity to add Kawi but have to ship you out to make this team better. Go play in Indiana and next summer we will sign you back." Both parties then agreed. His heart is still in San Antonio. It's going to be a big dissapointment, but if it's not the Spurs, someone will overpay him and the Pacers won't match.
Anyone think this is remotely possible?

Silent
01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
BRING HILL BACK !!!!!!! WE DEFINATLY NEED HIS DEFENSE!!!!!!!!! BRING HILL BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flag:

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Here's what they're saying over at Pacers' Digest:

Anyone think this is remotely possible?

Could be, but I doubt it because to pay George what he is worth, or certainly what the Spurs would pay, would certainly be matched by the Pacers.
For sure if another team pays more than what the Pacers would, would keep the Spurs from offering that much or more in order to get him back on the team.
No, the GH era with the Spurs I think is definitely over and done with.

blackfire12
01-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Every former spur drops 30 on us when we play them, it's like a god damn curse so this is no news.

spursnatic
01-30-2012, 07:12 AM
We would be fools not to try and make a run for him...He is way better than Cory Joseph and James Anderson....Plus Pop loved this Kid....If we get him back and have Kawhi Leonard we will be back in the mix with some of the top tier teams...Kawhi needs alot of practice in the shooting department that is and needs to get the system down a little better...George he already knows it so he will fit right in....I love that alot of these people against getting George Hill back are some of the same ones that were bitching about losing him....Make up your minds..............Let's go out and get our boy back Spurs

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
amnesty that scrub rj

resign td to MLE-8M and sign ghill to mle or lesser....sounds right to me...

DPG21920
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Paul George is having somewhat of a breakout year with his 3pt shooting being great and his all around skill set on display.

jjktkk
02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Paul George is having somewhat of a breakout year with his 3pt shooting being great and his all around skill set on display.

Its looks like the Pacers found another Granger. Indiana has put together a nice squad.