PDA

View Full Version : I had an epiphany...

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Corporations can't possibly be people.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
The scumbag that raped and murdered a woman I went to junior high/high school with is scheduled to be executed tonight for the 1994 murder. That got me to looking at the list of those in Texas that have already been executed and others on death row waiting to be executed.

I was struck by the fact that there are no corporations listed. This is Texas. If corporations were really people we would have already executed at least one...therefore corporations can't possibly be people.

Blake
01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
What corporation should be on death row?

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
What corporation should be on death row?

If you ask Boutons, all of them.

Blake
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Smh

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
uhhh...do you not have ANY sense of humor?

Oh, Gee!!
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
The scumbag that raped and murdered a woman I went to junior high/high school with is scheduled to be executed tonight for the 1994 murder. That got me to looking at the list of those in Texas that have already been executed and others on death row waiting to be executed.

I was struck by the fact that there are no corporations listed. This is Texas. If corporations were really people we would have already executed at least one...therefore corporations can't possibly be people.

they have 1st amendment rights

Blake
01-26-2012, 05:38 PM
uhhh...do you not have ANY sense of humor?

There was this one thread you started a little while back that did make me laugh my ass off

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
sheesh.

tough crowd

boutons_deux
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
execute them,

jail them,

foreclose on them,

destroy their credit rating for life,

"disappear" them to Gitmo without charge or lawyer or a dime phone call.

nope, they aren't the same a Human-Americans.

The Repugs have shit-stained SCOTUS for many decades to come with their extremist right-wing ideologue judge-packing.

clambake
01-26-2012, 05:54 PM
didn't death find enron?

101A
01-26-2012, 05:56 PM
sheesh.

tough crowd

I lol'ed

EVAY
01-26-2012, 06:07 PM
they have 1st amendment rights

Rights, but apparently no responsibilities.

Drachen
01-26-2012, 06:15 PM
didn't death find enron?

I was going to post this, but then, I realized that they committed suicide.

mercos
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM

:lol

This is true. The law of averages dictates that Perry would have put down at least one by now if corporations were people.

Nbadan
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
States rights! Overturn Citizens United. What are the chances a GOP state legislature and Rick Perry will persue this...

greyforest
01-26-2012, 08:44 PM
corporations are people.
corporations can own other corporations.
people can own other people?

baseline bum
01-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Enron should have definitely gotten the chair. All the rights, none of the responsibilities of a person. Pretty sweet gig tbh.

mavs>spurs
01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
who said those glorious quotes in the first 2 posts? or did you just make that up? sounds like something you would actually hear in the primary debates, rofl. probably santorum would say it.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
who said those glorious quotes in the first 2 posts? or did you just make that up? sounds like something you would actually hear in the primary debates, rofl. probably santorum would say it.

It was real and from me. I went to junior high and high school with Susan.

At times like this I really wish there was a Dante style Hell.

The rest was just me trying to make the best of the situation and try to get a laugh from you guys on a tenuously related topic.

Besides the lack of civility in here there is also a decided lack of sophisticated humor.

shame, really...

Spurminator
01-26-2012, 11:54 PM
You're not gonna like this, CC, but from an Occupy Wall Street rally:

http://popdevprogram.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/texas-execute.jpg

Wild Cobra
01-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Corporations can't possibly be people.
People is an understatement. They are generally thousands of people, like unions. They should have the same political writes as unions.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-27-2012, 05:49 AM
SCOTUS finds them to be persons as listed under the 14th amendment currently. The key is getting rid of the LL in LLC.

JoeChalupa
01-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Bragging about the death penalty didn't help Perry much.

Blake
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Speaking didn't help Perry at all

vy65
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Appreciate the sentiment - but your joke wasn't that funny.

I'll play devil's advocate: CC owns a ranch -- "CC Ranch." He put title to the ranch in CC Corp. for liability purposes. The state of Texas institutes eminent domain proceedings on CC Ranch. Texas claims that, because CC Corp. isn't a person, the state has no obligation to pay CC Corp. a dime for the seizure. The state argues that the 14th amendment applies only to persons - and if corporations aren't people - there's no due process argument to be had.

Whatsayou?

CosmicCowboy
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Appreciate the sentiment - but your joke wasn't that funny.

I'll play devil's advocate: CC owns a ranch -- "CC Ranch." He put title to the ranch in CC Corp. for liability purposes. The state of Texas institutes eminent domain proceedings on CC Ranch. Texas claims that, because CC Corp. isn't a person, the state has no obligation to pay CC Corp. a dime for the seizure. The state argues that the 14th amendment applies only to persons - and if corporations aren't people - there's no due process argument to be had.

Whatsayou?

First, it was a joke.

Second, Corporations have been found to have the same property rights as individuals in case after case. This is nothing new...

Third, I was playfully referring to the recent Citizens United decision...which gets into the whole campaign finance issue....and PERSONALLY I wish ALL corporate donations and PACS's were illegal.

vy65
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Second, Corporations have been found to have the same property rights as individuals in case after case. This is nothing new...

That's the point. They have property rights because they're treated as "persons" for 14th amendment purposes. Thus, they lose those rights when they're no longer a "person" under the 14th amendment.

Third, I was playfully referring to the recent Citizens United decision...which gets into the whole campaign finance issue....and PERSONALLY I wish ALL corporate donations and PACS's were illegal.

Citizens United dealt with restrictions on corporate campaign contributions. It's irrelevant to the hypothetical.

CosmicCowboy
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
First, it was a joke.

sheesh

Drachen
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Apparently the point is that you can't win CC. It seems that since you made that one thread, people see blood in the water and are circling. You can't even make a joke in the other forums without some crazies getting all bent out of shape.

vy65
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Apparently the point is that you can't win CC. It seems that since you made that one thread, people see blood in the water and are circling. You can't even make a joke in the other forums without some crazies getting all bent out of shape.

So we're not allowed to press the issue because CC made a joke?

vy65
01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
And what blood in the water? I was defending corporate personhood - do you think that's a popular position on this board?

Wild Cobra
01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
SCOTUS finds them to be persons as listed under the 14th amendment currently. The key is getting rid of the LL in LLC.
Now that, I will agree with you on.

ElNono
01-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Here's a question for vy (or anybody else). How come that when there's certain criminal activity the corp-as-person facade disappears?

Under the premise presented here, Madoff investments or whatever the heck his investment company was called should've been the guilty 'person'. But the corp moved out of the way and the liability fell right on him.

Thoughts?