PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sermon in the Church of Danny Green Over?

Calispursfan11
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I still think he's a baller, but maybe got a little too excited about him at the outset. Haven't heard anything positive about him on this board in a couple of weeks. Has the bandwagon plummetted off the cliff already?

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
I really like Green and have been rooting for this kid since he got that first 10-day contract with the Spurs last year. Actually, I was surprised they let him go the first time, yet was very pleased they brought him back. He's done nothing but reward, not only Pop, but also Danny Ferry, for the faith they had in him. He has the most pleasant surprise of all the young guys AND probably the biggest reason JA has gotten pushed to the end of the bench.

Count me as one who is still very much ON the Green bandwagon.

sehui
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
To be honest I thought this guy was a scrub that was just here to fill out the roster for injuries.

But he's really impressed me this season.

I don't think he's like a 16+ pt game a night type of guy, but from what I've seen he works hard, shoots the ball well, has cajones in taking his shots, and plays decent defense.

So sure, I guess you consider myself part of the "Danny Green Church". I think he's a solid addition to the team.

jjktkk
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I still think he's a baller, but maybe got a little too excited about him at the outset. Haven't heard anything positive about him on this board in a couple of weeks. Has the bandwagon plummetted off the cliff already?

Green is one of those players that may not fill out a stat sheet, but does alot of the little things. Guy can play both guard spots, and the 3. Always hustling, and seems to possess a good bb IQ.

5in10
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
He kind of reminds me of just a young maybe a litte more athletic kieth bogans.

GSH
01-26-2012, 11:39 PM
The expectations for him got a little out of control. But I would still say that he is a lot more than anyone had a right to hope for. He gets more blocks than anyone but Tim and Tiago. He's got good court vision, and he's getting the assists to prove it. He picks up a LOT of rebounds. He's a good, smart ball handler and Pop uses him to bring the ball up the floor even though he's not a PG. And he's a very capable defender - at times.

I've been a little disappointed in his defense at times. He tries to do too much, and there are too many times when he leaves his man to go help, and he gets torched as a result. And guys with a good first step blow around him a lot more often than I expected. He's not a lock-down defender like I hoped he might be. At least not yet.

As well as he moves with the ball, he can't finish a fast break to save his ass. If/when he learns that, and gets a little more consistent with his floater, he'll be a consistent double-digit scorer. Bet on it. That's nothing to sneeze at, by itself. But we've seen that he's also capable of putting up big numbers on some nights. It's nice to have guys who can do that when one of the starters is having an off night.

The thing I really like is that he rarely has a zero on his stat sheet. He makes steals, gets blocks, and gets to the line almost every night. And he's pretty consistent about picking up multiple boards and assists. Just a lot of hustle going on, and the energy level of the team goes up when he hits the floor.

I'm still an altar boy. I had hoped he might have a breakout year like Anthony Parker did when he got to Tel Aviv. I guess that wasn't fair - the level of competition he is facing is higher, and Parker wasn't playing behind stars like Tim and Tony (and Manu before he got hurt). If nothing else, you have to think he's one of, if not the biggest bargain in the league. And I still think he has reasonable upside. He's not Anthony Parker - yet. But I'll still sing along with the hymns.

mercos
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm very high on Green being an excellent bench player. I thought early on his hustle plays along with TJ Ford's play making abilities nearly covered up for the loss of Manu. He is a little weak in man to man defense, but he makes up for it by playing terrific team defense. His biggest weakness is that he lacks quickness. It causes him problems against smaller, faster players and in defending the pick and roll. His hustle, team defense, and three point shooting make him a very valuable bench player.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
The guys just makes plays. The guy is a decent enough shooter. In fact, I seem to recall that he hit most of his 3-balls during his first stint here last year. He uses his long arms for blocks and to get deflections. He's got energy, courage and smarts. He's just a good utility player. Whatever you need him to do, he just does it. It's easy to see why he's earned so much trust from Pop - and surprisingly so soon, too.

I'll shudder if Pop ever refers to him as his "favorite player".

I can't wait to see what the Spurs do with him this offseason.

Robz4000
01-27-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm still on the bandwagon. He's been a great surprise this year. He isn't going to accel at everything, nor is he outstanding in any category. What he does bring, though, are the intangibles that are lacking with Manu out.

First, and most important, he brings the energy that Manu always had. Whenever he's put in the game, it seems the Spurs make a big play immediately. Second, he's ALWAYS playing D. It may not be effective, but all I ask to see is an attempt, as when there's a will, there's a way. Third, he hustles; I can't ever recall him walking while on the floor, and it helps the first two categories immensely.

He won't be a player the Spurs will give a multi-million dollar contract to. In all honestly (and though it sucks to say), I can't see him in a Spurs uniform next year with how he's performing and should he continue to prove his worth. However, if he's willing to stay on for $2 million a year or so, I'd jump at that in an instant. Can't wait to see how he grows and develops as time goes on.

SenorSpur
01-27-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm still on the bandwagon. He's been a great surprise this year. He isn't going to accel at everything, nor is he outstanding in any category. What he does bring, though, are the intangibles that are lacking with Manu out.

First, and most important, he brings the energy that Manu always had. Whenever he's put in the game, it seems the Spurs make a big play immediately. Second, he's ALWAYS playing D. It may not be effective, but all I ask to see is an attempt, as when there's a will, there's a way. Third, he hustles; I can't ever recall him walking while on the floor, and it helps the first two categories immensely.

He won't be a player the Spurs will give a multi-million dollar contract to. In all honestly (and though it sucks to say), I can't see him in a Spurs uniform next year with how he's performing and should he continue to prove his worth. However, if he's willing to stay on for $2 million a year or so, I'd jump at that in an instant. Can't wait to see how he grows and develops as time goes on.

Don't underestimate the Spurs on retaining Green. Pop clearly loves the guy and I wouldn't be surprised if they see him as a potential building block, glue-guy, for the future. Remember RJ and JA will likely be gone next season and Manu will be in perhaps his final season. So as much depth as the Spurs seem to have at the wing spots now, they will not next year.

I don't think the Spurs will need to break the bank to retain Green. However, unless someone offers him an absolutely ridiculous contract, which I doubt, I also cannot envision a scenario where Green's not on the team next year.

Robz4000
01-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Don't underestimate the Spurs on retaining Green. Pop clearly loves the guy and I wouldn't be surprised if they see him as a potential building block, glue-guy, for the future. Remember RJ and JA will likely be gone next season and Manu will be in perhaps his final season. So as much depth as the Spurs seem to have at the wing spots now, they will not next year.

I don't think the Spurs will need to break the bank to retain Green. However, unless someone offers him an absolutely ridiculous contract, which I doubt, I also cannot envision a scenario where Green's not on the team next year.
I want to believe what you do, as I really like Green, but if someone like Marcus Thornton is given a $40 mil contract, the sky's the limit for Green. I just know there's some moronic team out there that'll overpay for him.

spurs1990
01-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Leave the guy alone already.

He does more per dollar earned than any player on the roster.

What do you want from a min-salary player that DGreen hasn't provided so far.

Yes I am biased been watching him since college, but the point stands.

TJastal
01-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Green is one of those players that may not fill out a stat sheet, but does alot of the little things. Guy can play both guard spots, and the 3. Always hustling, and seems to possess a good bb IQ.

He does fill out a stat sheet pretty well actually.

His nba per 36 averages are creeping up to his senior year averages at NC where he averaged 13pts, 4.7 reb, 2.7 ast, 1.8 stl, & 1.3 blocks in just 27 minutes a game.

I think once he fills out some and gets more strength he's going to be a better version of Doug Christie, which would gaurantee him a long and lustrious nba career.

Darkwaters
01-27-2012, 03:20 AM
Just because he isn't scoring 24 points every night doesn't mean he isn't contributing majorly to what this team is doing. Church is definitely still in session.

jesterbobman
01-27-2012, 03:25 AM
He's a role player. I don't think anyone thinks anything more, and I don't mean that as an insult. He's a good rebounder, passer and shooter, and doesn't turn it over too much. He shouldn't be expected to be a dominant scorer, but I imagine he'll be underpaid, it's the nature of the NBA that efficient low usage players are going to be underpaid, and he's one of them.

Also, last 3 games:

24mpg, 8-18 shooting with 2 3's, 2-2 from the line, 8 rebounds, 10 Assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers.

I'd take that slump happily from a role player.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Good team player. I like the way this group plays when they trust each other and share the ball.

TJastal
01-27-2012, 03:51 AM
He's a role player. I don't think anyone thinks anything more, and I don't mean that as an insult. He's a good rebounder, passer and shooter, and doesn't turn it over too much. He shouldn't be expected to be a dominant scorer, but I imagine he'll be underpaid, it's the nature of the NBA that efficient low usage players are going to be underpaid, and he's one of them.

Also, last 3 games:

24mpg, 8-18 shooting with 2 3's, 2-2 from the line, 8 rebounds, 10 Assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers.

I think he's got a chance to be more than a role player on the spurs, and I predict he will take over the starting SG duties when Manu retires.

If I had to describe his game so far is he has alot of Doug Christie in him and a little Manu on the side.. he has the fiery competitiveness, the nads to take big shots, & the ability to make a big play on either end of the court.

Neal otoh I think is destined for a career as the prototypical "role player" who could fill in as a starter on a temporary basis only.

Darkwaters
01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Neal otoh I think is destined for a career as the prototypical "role player" who could fill in as a starter on a temporary basis only.

Neal has no future except as a role player. Thats just reality. Hes got a few very savvy skills, but enough holes in his game to limit him to 6th man at best. But he can be pretty deadly in that role none the less.

acoelho1
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Neal has no future except as a role player. Thats just reality. Hes got a few very savvy skills, but enough holes in his game to limit him to 6th man at best. But he can be pretty deadly in that role none the less.

It's too early to tell how good Green will be and he has a ways to go to reach his full potential. I believe he has the tools to be an excellent defender and maybe even in the class of Bowen. His on ball defense is suspect right now but he just needs some coaching to further his development. His offense is a mix bag but if he can hit his jumper consistently and provide great defense, he could easily be a starter in this league.

tmtcsc
01-27-2012, 10:09 AM
He kind of reminds me of just a young maybe a litte more athletic kieth bogans.

IDK,I think he's already better than Keith Bogans and has the potential to keep improving.

P.S. It's bad enough the guy looks like Jar Jar Binks, when is someone going to tell him his Catfish mustache ain't working ?

thOOdee
01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
def. one of the bright spots of the year

DMC
01-27-2012, 10:28 AM

The Spurs have/had too many "little things" guys. Eventually someone is going to have to fill some stats. We cannot win without them.

I like Danny Green. I liked him last season when we had him a few weeks. He's probably not going to be effective if anyone focuses their defense on him, but then there aren't many who will.

DMC
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Also, last 3 games:

I know your meaning, however I think everyone in the NBA is overpaid.

Horse
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Definetly not, he has ups and downs ofcourse but the guy just does whatever is needed of him on the court. Love his effort.

Darkwaters
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
P.S. It's bad enough the guy looks like Jar Jar Binks, when is someone going to tell him his Catfish mustache ain't working ?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that his mustache is horrible.

Calispursfan11
01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I mostly agree. I think he's at least a very good role player, with potential for something more. But his moustache does suck, badly at that. I like how he came out of almost nowhere to make an impact, too. Those are always the best stories. If you had asked me (not a real knowledgeable Spurfan) if he would be taking JA's minutes before the season, I would not have believed you. But, he's earned it.

therealtruth
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
DG plays winning basketball. You always want a player on your team who's a winner and tries to do the intagibles.

shraediggz
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I haven't given up on his star yet, I still think it's rising. I like the Doug Christie comparison in this thread. I think Long Term this kid could develop into a guy that'll get you about 14 pts, 5 reb and 3 ast out of the SG spot.

He definitely needs to develop some consistency but I think it will grow alongside his role. He's got good hustle, he's smart and aggressive, plus he's got confidence to attack the basket or put up a big shot. When he first signed with the team I thought he could be that wing defender we were in search of, now, I think he could be a bit more (I've been pleasantly surprised with his play-making skills).

I think he could definitely carve out a niche for himself in our back-court and I hope he's able to do it and provide many productive years in San An!

In other words... Praise the kid, and keep Ballin'. Looking forward for his Sermon's becoming a weekly thing.