PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Guarding Dirk

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 11:07 AM
There are strong rumors that Dirk is looking to return to lineup (http://www.nba.com/2012/news/01/26/dirk-return.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2) this Sunday. In their last meeting, the Spurs throttled the Mavs 93-71.

Granted, the Mavs were on some tired legs, and I don't think we'll see another 6 point performance from Dirk. Tiago had a poor outing against the Mavs last time as well, but defensively I recall him doing a commendable job in the little time he had against guarding The Big German.

Tiago has an underrated lateral quickness for a big man, and a great ability to close out the shooter if they settle for a jumper (though I wish he'd put his hands up more). While his scoring has improved tremendously as the season has gone on, I think his man to man defense has also stepped up recently. He was quite impressive against Atlanta, and I'd love to see what he can do on the defensive end against Love in tonight's game against Minny.

I know Pop hates to show his hand during these Spurs/Mavs game so I really don't know how much we will even see of Tiago on Dirk. However, I think it would be much better than having Leonard guard Dirk, who might get schooled and is probably too short. At least Tiago has the height and size to possibly bother Dirk's shot.

I don't know if he can guard Dirk the way McDyess did so beautifully, but I'd be curious to hear what you guys think on Tiago arguably being our best option to make Dirk work for his points.

Cane
01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I want to see Leonard on Dirk. But both Leonard and Splitter need to do a much better job of keeping their hands up, they give too much daylight and Dirk's still able to make his own with that fadeaway.

Ditty
01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Great Post

I remember a few possessions that Tiago pretty much shut down Dirk. If Tim, and Tiago play about 30 minutes each on Sunday, I like our chances.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Great Post

I remember a few possessions that Tiago pretty much shut down Dirk. If Tim, and Tiago play about 30 minutes each on Sunday, I like our chances.

I'd LOVE for that to happen, but sadly I'd be stunned if Tiago even sees 26 minutes of action with the way Pop has been managing minutes. Plus, these teams always seem scared to show their hand during the regular season.

I think we'll probably see more of KL and Bonner (gulp) on Dirk, and then Tiago will probably get a crack for maybe 3-4 possessions tops before Pop switches him to Haywood or something so as not to reveal too much.

DrSteffo
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I believe that in the past Tiago has had some difficult times guarding Dirk but then again who can blame him and also time is on his side.

acoelho1
01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Tiago is solid defensively and is getting better as he gets more playing time. Also, he seems to be a quick study in terms of learning what opponents want to do against him and he makes it difficult for them. I think he has enough lateral quickness to give Dirk fits and my only concern would be if he got Tiago in foul trouble.

Also, I really believe that if he played extensively in the Memphis series last year that we would have won the series. He has really surprised me this year with his shot blocking and offensive skills. It's almost like a totally new player.

Russ
01-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Also, I really believe that if he played extensively in the Memphis series last year that we would have won the series.

That was certainly my feeling at the time.

Don't know why it didn't happen (until it finally did happen and smacked of desperation).

While we're second guessing, I believe that if Manu had played in Game One (and I believe he could have), the Spurs would have won that series.

But so much for spilled milk (as the Prez would joke).

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Pop's notorious for doing that though, I along with several other posters were making jokes before Game 1 of the playoffs last year that Tiago wouldn't get any burn until it was game 3, 4th quarter of the playoffs, at which point it was already too late.

Same crap with Hill in the 2009 playoffs. Judging by this streak, Tiago should be getting solid minutes this year's playoffs, hopefully as a starter :toast

dbestpro
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I also think Pop will not put Splitter on Dirk. What might be interesting is if Dirk is forced to play defense against Splitter.

Horse
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
The key to guarding dirk is getting physical with him, if the refs let them play I think he can give dirk fits.

txstr1986
01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
I also think Pop will not put Splitter on Dirk. What might be interesting is if Dirk is forced to play defense against Splitter.

And with Tiago's newfound aggressiveness Dirk might be the one ending up in foul trouble...

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
And with Tiago's newfound aggressiveness Dirk might be the one ending up in foul trouble...

Nice fantasy. Splitter hasn't been in the league long enough to get calls against a superstar like Dirk. But it would be nice if it happened.

nickdaquick
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd like see KL in his shorts making life uncomfortable for Dirk ala Bowen.

therealtruth
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Splitter has got better mobility and is longer than Dice and Dice was pretty good on Dirk. Between Kawhi and him and maybe DG too I think they can defend Dirk. It also helps that he isn't in MVP mode yet.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I thought Tiago did a very solid job on Dirk. Dirk hit a nice jumper over Tiago, but Splitter had defended it perfectly. He was able to react and challenge the shot when Dirk chose to shoot a fade away.

I know we didn't get to see a lot of Tiago on Dirk (Blair did surprisingly well in his time) but I definitely saw enough to see that there is strong potential that Tiago can hold his own.