PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lifting

Leetonidas
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Any of ya'll into weight lifting? I started getting serious about lifting weights a little over a month ago and already am seeing results. It's tough and takes dedication but it's definitely worth it. It's true that it's hard to get going but once you make it a routine it's becomes something you look forward to. In one month I have already gotten my deadlift to 300lbs. Not olympic body builder shit but I'm personally proud of it.

Anyone on ST lift?

tlongII
01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
N3x98hJWapw

Leetonidas
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
We all know you don't lift tlong :lol

stretch
01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
dont ever neglect compound lifts

Squats (most important of all)
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press

As long as you do those regularly with proper form, your entire body will grow bigger and stronger, faster than if you do a bunch of isolation crap or machine exercises.

stretch
01-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Also, don't listen to faggots who tell you "dont squat so low that your hips are below your knees or you will mess your knees up" or "don't let the bar touch your chest on the bench press or your shoulders will be messed up".

Those are bullshit. Keeping your hips above your knees messes them up more than going past the knees. And on the bench press, make sure your grip is wide enough that your forearms are perpendicular to the bar when you touch the chest. Your gains will increase faster and your stabilizing muscles will become infinitely stronger. Trust me. And if you haven't been doing that already, then I would suggest starting to do so, but deload on the weight you have been doing, so that you can let the stabilizing muscles catch up in strength.

mavs>spurs
01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
To me squats are dangerous. Started to fuck up my knee a little back in the day. When I was working out I would substitute leg presses instead.

DMC
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds too much like work.

stretch
01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
To me squats are dangerous. Started to fuck up my knee a little back in the day. When I was working out I would substitute leg presses instead.

poor form, tbh

i had bad knees until i fixed my form (in particular, squatting my hips below my knees), and my knees have improved consistently since

leemajors
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I prefer body weight exercises these days - pushups with legs on an exercise ball, pull ups, and Hindu squats. Hindu squats are fucking brutal, try doing 50 of them in a row:

jPSVpo4mzNI

There are also Hindu pushups, but I have not tried those.

mavs>spurs
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
poor form, tbh

i had bad knees until i fixed my form (in particular, squatting my hips below my knees), and my knees have improved consistently since

i don't have the right type of build for squats. it's not my fault that i have bad form. hard to explain but it's just not possible for me to have perfect form with the way i'm built. long femur in proportion to the lower leg imho. what it is, the knee is never supposed to come forward in front of the ankle whenever you go down, but in my case i can't prevent it.

Nathan Explosion
01-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I prefer body weight exercises these days - pushups with legs on an exercise ball, pull ups, and Hindu squats. Hindu squats are fucking brutal, try doing 50 of them in a row:

jPSVpo4mzNI

There are also Hindu pushups, but I have not tried those.

I do those pushups, but I heard of them under a different name. They are pretty brutal at first, but can be quite rewarding because of all the different muscles they work.

I usually do body squats with my hands behind my head (which also works the abs and back if you keep your elbows on the same plane as your back and your back straight), followed by the pushups and then I think they're called running crunches (where you mimic your running motion while doing your crunches). Not only does it work the muscles, but it will get your heart rate up and leave your breathless.

I'm also trying to work a separate pushup routine in odd days that consists of regular pushups, followed by diamond pushups, followed by pushups where you put your hands about two shoulder lengths apart.

I'm just trying to burn fat and tone up, not really bulk up. With the physical labor of my job, I can definitely burn fat and tone up as long as I stay disciplined and not eat when I get home on my later shifts.

Also, every Wednesday a bunch of guys from my work play basketball, but I've been scheduled late the past few days so I haven't gone. But I'm off next Wednesday so it's game on.

BlackSwordsMan
01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
bench,deadlift and squats -- I suggest Bill Starr's 5x5 beginners but what do I know

phxspurfan
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Weight training with proper form (I was taught some forms by a personal trainer) is good for staying in shape, especially as you get older and your body doesn't do everything as well as when you were in your 20s. But one thing I wish I would have known before I started is that apparently you can't stop. Because if you stop, your body will feel like crap after a week of not lifting. But maybe that's just me.

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2012, 07:40 PM
shoulder presses are pretty good too imo

The Reckoning
01-27-2012, 07:41 PM
lift an hour 3 times a week then run afterwards a little over 2 miles. it's weird because the older i get, the more im starting to enjoy running...used to hate that shit.

wtf squats and deadlift in recreational (non-sports) training regimen? you training to invade cambodia?

i said goodbye to that the moment i didnt have to.

IronMexican
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
So much fucking /fit/.

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2012, 07:44 PM
at least you haven't died like zyzz

IronMexican
01-27-2012, 07:47 PM
How can you lift when Zyzz is dead?

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
`

I lift for him

Halberto
01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I've been lifting for a while. I fucking hate squats. There are other methods to hit those muscles without all the risk.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2012, 08:21 PM
lift an hour 3 times a week then run afterwards a little over 2 miles. it's weird because the older i get, the more im starting to enjoy running...used to hate that shit.

wtf squats and deadlift in recreational (non-sports) training regimen? you training to invade cambodia?

i said goodbye to that the moment i didnt have to.

Same. Always hated it, but now I'm in the same position. I haven't been running lately though simply because I've been playing a lot of ball so that keeps my cardio up.

Latarian Milton
01-27-2012, 08:27 PM
the key isn't how much exercise you do but how much you eat imho. say you may do exercise full-loaded at daytime but you'll eat an awful lot at dinner and end up gaining more weight.

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I've been lifting for a while. I fucking hate squats. There are other methods to hit those muscles without all the risk.

squat rack and/or power cage

Fpoonsie
01-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I just started working out again a couple weeks ago after a 4 year or so layoff (a lack a' sex is a GREAT motivator), and I've been feeling a lot better since then.

Diet is obviously a HUGE part of it -- if not the most important -- but I try to switch off cardio and lifting each day. Doing it at the UNT Rec Center. They've got a great facility. Unfortunately, I never took advantage until my last fucking semester.

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2012, 12:29 AM
You shouldn't have given me the knife, now i got four weapons these, my dick, and this

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2012, 12:30 AM
bought a gym set at home, after one month lost motivation to continue

now collecting dusts under my bed

Fpoonsie
01-28-2012, 12:31 AM
You shouldn't have given me the knife, now i got four weapons these, my dick, and this

:lol

Strange segue, but still. Props.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:20 AM
i don't have the right type of build for squats. it's not my fault that i have bad form. hard to explain but it's just not possible for me to have perfect form with the way i'm built. long femur in proportion to the lower leg imho. what it is, the knee is never supposed to come forward in front of the ankle whenever you go down, but in my case i can't prevent it.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, sucks when genetics limit you in different ways. In my case, I have an allergy to alcohol, so I can't really drink.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:20 AM
bench,deadlift and squats -- I suggest Bill Starr's 5x5 beginners but what do I know

This. 5x5 is a GREAT starting point.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:25 AM

Squats and deadlifts are probably the two most important weightlifting exercises to do. Both work out virtually every muscle group in the body.

Just because you lift weights, doesn't mean you are trying to get a monster body like Arnold or something. You can lift weights, and still have a slender frame/build. Look at basketball players. A lot of them can lift an incredible amount, despite the fact that they aren't particularly muscular. People say Earl Boykins benches over 300 lbs, and he's tiny. Kobe benches well over 300 as well, and he's not particularly big either.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:28 AM
I think you will find this program to be very useful, Leetonidas. It did wonders for me within just a couple months. Trying keep it up for a full year. I've done a number of different types of workout/weight lifting routines, and none have gotten me the results that this program has.

http://stronglifts.com/

4>0rings
01-28-2012, 01:40 AM

Bench Press
Barbell Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press

:tu

People waste so much time doing iso exercises.

I skip the BB rows because my form is bad, just the way my body is I can never get the right form so I do iso with db's.

I'll add chin ups to that list.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:42 AM

People waste so much time doing iso exercises.

I skip the BB rows because my form is bad, just the way my body is I can never get the right form so I do iso with db's.

I'll add chin ups to that list.

Yeah, I would throw chin-ups and dips in as well.

mavs>spurs
01-28-2012, 02:05 AM
good old fashioned pullups can get you big as FUCK. there are some videos on youtube of guys who do some crazy workouts with just a pullup bar, and look like body builders. you'd really have to build up to some of the stuff they do, though.

SnakeBoy
01-28-2012, 03:08 AM
I think you will find this program to be very useful, Leetonidas. It did wonders for me within just a couple months. Trying keep it up for a full year. I've done a number of different types of workout/weight lifting routines, and none have gotten me the results that this program has.

http://stronglifts.com/

That's a nice program. Many many years ago when I was younger I spent alot of time lifting weights trying to bulk up without much progress (I was naturally skinny when I was younger). Finally a big dude at the gym told me to just stick with almost that exact routine except he recommended 8 sets/5-10 reps. I put on around 25 lbs of muscle in under a year just doing that. The suprising thing was how much easier it was. My workout went from 1 1/2 hours of doing all kinds of iso and machine exercises to about 30 minutes with much better gains.

stretch
01-28-2012, 03:32 AM
That's a nice program. Many many years ago when I was younger I spent alot of time lifting weights trying to bulk up without much progress (I was naturally skinny when I was younger). Finally a big dude at the gym told me to just stick with almost that exact routine except he recommended 8 sets/5-10 reps. I put on around 25 lbs of muscle in under a year just doing that. The suprising thing was how much easier it was. My workout went from 1 1/2 hours of doing all kinds of iso and machine exercises to about 30 minutes with much better gains.

Yup, its amazing how such a simple routine can have such great results. Like you said, its awesome how it cuts you down to a 30-45 minute workout, when in the past it may have been well over an hour.

I will do an occasional full body iso workout to exhaustion, just to keep some of my different support and stabilizing muscles well worked, but I pretty much stick to those main 5 compound lifts, with some pull-ups and dips mixed in.

tp2021
01-28-2012, 10:55 AM
bought a gym set at home, after one month lost motivation to continue

now collecting dusts under my bed

Send it on over!

tlongII
01-28-2012, 12:07 PM
How much ya bench?!

Libri
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM

You know more than most.

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2012, 01:05 PM
is it possible to gain weight without doing any form of weights? and just drink protein whey and carb skakes?

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2012, 01:06 PM
is it possible to gain weight without doing any form of weights? and just drink protein whey and carb skakes?

you but it wont be muscle, unless your doing some form of body exercise like pull ups or push ups

4>0rings
01-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Yeah, fat.

tlongII
01-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah, fat.

God damn I love that avatar!

Leetonidas
01-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Bench Press
Barbell Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press

As long as you do those regularly with proper form, your entire body will grow bigger and stronger, faster than if you do a bunch of isolation crap or machine exercises.

Also, don't listen to faggots who tell you "dont squat so low that your hips are below your knees or you will mess your knees up" or "don't let the bar touch your chest on the bench press or your shoulders will be messed up".

Those are bullshit. Keeping your hips above your knees messes them up more than going past the knees. And on the bench press, make sure your grip is wide enough that your forearms are perpendicular to the bar when you touch the chest. Your gains will increase faster and your stabilizing muscles will become infinitely stronger. Trust me. And if you haven't been doing that already, then I would suggest starting to do so, but deload on the weight you have been doing, so that you can let the stabilizing muscles catch up in strength.

Those are my regular exercises :lol and you're right about all that, my bro I train with is a super fitness nerd and he has told me all the same

Leetonidas
01-28-2012, 11:23 PM
the key isn't how much exercise you do but how much you eat imho. say you may do exercise full-loaded at daytime but you'll eat an awful lot at dinner and end up gaining more weight.

Sons this is true. If you wanna build muscle you needa eat a lot. Not fucking Hostess twinkie's and funyuns but lot's of tasty burgers with just meat and delicious wheat breads. It's funny, if you wanna eat a lot, just lift a lot.

IronMexican
01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Squat lower, tbh

Leetonidas
01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
So I hear that if you workout at Planet Fitness, they won't let you deadlift a shit load of weight or grunt and exhale (which is scientifically proven to help you under stress) and if you do they'll kick you out while sounding some Hulk alarm or some shit? If so I wish to test this

IronMexican
01-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Lunk alarm tbh.

They don't let you deadlift at all.

stretch
01-29-2012, 12:12 AM

Those are my regular exercises :lol and you're right about all that, my bro I train with is a super fitness nerd and he has told me all the same

Good to hear :toast

Sons this is true. If you wanna build muscle you needa eat a lot. Not fucking Hostess twinkie's and funyuns but lot's of tasty burgers with just meat and delicious wheat breads. It's funny, if you wanna eat a lot, just lift a lot.

Yeah, basically as long as you work out on a regular basis, and eat more calories than you burn, you will grow.

So I hear that if you workout at Planet Fitness, they won't let you deadlift a shit load of weight or grunt and exhale (which is scientifically proven to help you under stress) and if you do they'll kick you out while sounding some Hulk alarm or some shit? If so I wish to test this

I think its a bit annoying when people are basically screaming when they grunt/exhale, because it pretty much seems like a cry for attention. I definitely let out a hearty exhale when I'm tired, but not to the point where everyone in the damn gym is looking at me. That's just obnoxious.

Libri
01-29-2012, 12:46 AM

Yes it's true. I had membership there for the summer when I couldn't go to my university gym. They prohibited one dude from doing deadlifts. They would also give me the evil eye when ever I did a few sets. Furthermore, there are no squat racks or a bench press, only smith machines. Also, the dumbbells go as high as 75 lbs.

The Planet Fitness I went was the only one in the city with a regular bench press but no squat rack. That's the only reason I went there for a few months because I would take the barbell from the bench for deadlifts, rows, push presses, and front squats. Most Planet Fitness gyms might not have barbells to do deadlifts.

Leetonidas
01-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Yes it's true. I had membership there for the summer when I couldn't go to my university gym. They prohibited one dude from doing deadlifts. They would also give me the evil eye when ever I did a few sets. Furthermore, there are no squat racks or a bench press, only smith machines. Also, the dumbbells go as high as 75 lbs.

The Planet Fitness I went was the only one in the city with a regular bench press but no squat rack. That's the only reason I went there for a few months because I would take the barbell from the bench for deadlifts, rows, push presses, and front squats. Most Planet Fitness gyms might not have barbells to do deadlifts.

Holy shit that is fucking ridiculous. Buncha self-conscious fat fucks all butthurt at people doing real exercises. Fuck Smith machines

mystargtr34
01-29-2012, 04:46 AM
How can you lift when Zyzz is dead?

Didnt know the Zyzz made it famous in the US tbh :lol.

mystargtr34
01-29-2012, 05:00 AM

Bench Press
Barbell Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press

:tu This was my problem a while ago. I started out about 6'4 and 175 soaking wet when i was 18 doing mainly compound excercises and got to about 200 in less than a year. Then i started doing iso excercises (dont even know why now tbh) and for some reason stuck with that for nearly a year with the occassional compound excercies and couldnt put on anymore weight. Once i snapped out of it and went back to what got me big within weeks my friends were noticing me getting thicker and bigger within weeks.

If i increase my weight on my squat too miuch it feels like my knees start taking alot of the weight instead of my muscles. It might have something to do with the proportion of your body aswell.. not only height but im not sure.

stretch
01-29-2012, 11:12 AM
If i increase my weight on my squat too miuch it feels like my knees start taking alot of the weight instead of my muscles. It might have something to do with the proportion of your body aswell.. not only height but im not sure.

Yeah, I'm sure a persons natural build can definitely affect it, but I do know that once I made it a focus to squat my hips down past my knees, I could feel the weight immediately shift to my muscles instead of my knees. It made a MAJOR difference in how squats felt to me, because I used to hate doing squats, until I really focused on going lower, and now I have a much different view of them.

depends
01-30-2012, 01:24 AM
All that squat shit, be sure and take a few of my friends along.

rascal
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Weight training is great. I have been doing it for 40 years. It keeps you looking young and strong. Concentrate on hitting the 6 major body parts: Legs, Biceps,Triceps, Shoulders, Chest and Back.

Pick a schedule you like and when your trying to build hit each body part twice a week, once you get in shape and have been doing it for years you can hit each body part once a week and not lose much.

SnakeBoy
02-14-2012, 01:29 AM
This thread got me thinking about getting back into weight training. I've been getting bored with running & cycling and too much aerobic has got me looking too thin.

So 2 workouts in doing the 5x5 plus dips & pullups...holy shit I'm sore!

benefactor
02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
I've been training pretty regularly for about 8 years. I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week but my job only allows me to go 3...and if you are doing it right that's really all you need. I agree with those that say simplicity is the best route if you are just starting out. If you want something a little more intense/muscle endurance based you can drop the rest time in between sets and decrease the weight some. I've been doing this for a while and have seen some good results. Even with that, you don't need more that 30-45 minutes of weights. I do my weights and then spin for 45 minutes and I'm done.

If you get bored with just regular weights/cardio I'd recommend trying Crossfit. The gym I go to is Crossfit certified and the guys that do it religiously look like action figures. They do some crazy stuff, but it will get you in sick shape.

nacho
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Norcal knew the results of training.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/norrcalguns.gif

thispego
02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Thinking about switching over to the 5x5 routine. Have been doing isolation and machines for years now, only picking up free weights for chest and biceps. I feel like I've maxed out and built all the size I can for my small frame doing what I've been doing. That 5x5 shit really work, stretch?

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
^you, in a weight lifting thread? :rolleyes

BlackSwordsMan
02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
5x5 is gdlk

stretch
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Thinking about switching over to the 5x5 routine. Have been doing isolation and machines for years now, only picking up free weights for chest and biceps. I feel like I've maxed out and built all the size I can for my small frame doing what I've been doing. That 5x5 shit really work, stretch?

Yessir. Try it. I guarantee, if you do it right, within a month, you will both see and feel a noticable difference. I wouldn't be shocked at all, if in 3 months, you add 10-15 lbs of muscle (provided you stay regular with the routine, and eat plenty of good food).

What is also interesting about this routine, is that it is one of the very few, if you eat right, you can both burn fat and gain muscle. In my case, within a month, I didn't lose any weight (I actually have slightly gained), but it was visibly evident that I had dropped several pounds of fat, and was able to gain muscle weight to stay around the same weight.

I was always told that it's impossible to both burn fat and gain muscle, but that is wrong.

stretch
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I've been training pretty regularly for about 8 years. I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week but my job only allows me to go 3...and if you are doing it right that's really all you need. I agree with those that say simplicity is the best route if you are just starting out. If you want something a little more intense/muscle endurance based you can drop the rest time in between sets and decrease the weight some. I've been doing this for a while and have seen some good results. Even with that, you don't need more that 30-45 minutes of weights. I do my weights and then spin for 45 minutes and I'm done.

If you get bored with just regular weights/cardio I'd recommend trying Crossfit. The gym I go to is Crossfit certified and the guys that do it religiously look like action figures. They do some crazy stuff, but it will get you in sick shape.

Full body compound routines >>> split isolation routines

Less time needed, while getting better and more complete workouts.

stretch
02-14-2012, 01:46 PM
This thread got me thinking about getting back into weight training. I've been getting bored with running & cycling and too much aerobic has got me looking too thin.

So 2 workouts in doing the 5x5 plus dips & pullups...holy shit I'm sore!

Be sure to eat plenty to support the growth. You won't regret it in a couple months.

SnakeBoy
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Be sure to eat plenty to support the growth. You won't regret it in a couple months.

Yeah, I switched to a vegan diet 2 weeks ago so it will be interesting to see what kind of gains I get on this diet. It was tough to switch for the first week but now I feel better than ever. I've started including plenty of quinoa into my diet so I should be getting plenty of protein to support muscle growth.

stretch
02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I switched to a vegan diet 2 weeks ago so it will be interesting to see what kind of gains I get on this diet. It was tough to switch for the first week but now I feel better than ever. I've started including plenty of quinoa into my diet so I should be getting plenty of protein to support muscle growth.

Awesome. As long as its healthy foods, and you are eating more than you burn (i'd say aim for a minimum of 3500/day), you will make some fast gains.

If you really like milk, you could try the GOMAD diet (Gallon Of Milk A Day), although that might be overkill. I'd say a half gallon a day would more than fit most people's needs.

thispego
02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Yessir. Try it. I guarantee, if you do it right, within a month, you will both see and feel a noticable difference. I wouldn't be shocked at all, if in 3 months, you add 10-15 lbs of muscle (provided you stay regular with the routine, and eat plenty of good food).

What is also interesting about this routine, is that it is one of the very few, if you eat right, you can both burn fat and gain muscle. In my case, within a month, I didn't lose any weight (I actually have slightly gained), but it was visibly evident that I had dropped several pounds of fat, and was able to gain muscle weight to stay around the same weight.

I was always told that it's impossible to both burn fat and gain muscle, but that is wrong.
What was your starting weight/size/frame?

thispego
02-14-2012, 03:36 PM
^you, in a weight lifting thread? :rolleyes

lol has anyone here seen a picture of me that wasn't 7 years old?

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 03:39 PM

i don't think the one of you, your pencil neck and glasses next to pat and his beard was 7 years old :rolleyes

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM

what i actually meant to say though was only the ones on the wall in your house when i come over to fuck retard's momma

thispego
02-14-2012, 03:43 PM
i don't think the one of you, your pencil neck and glasses next to pat and his beard was 7 years old :rolleyes

2007 western conference finals. Ok, anyone seen a picture of me that isn't 5 years old?

stretch
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
What was your starting weight/size/frame?

I had already been doing regular lifting for almost a year prior to starting the 5x5 (with not much results), so at that time, I was at 6'2, 202lbs. I wasn't really muscular, nor was I particularly fat either, just an average looking dude. After about 6 weeks, I was at about 204, and visibly slimmer/more muscular.

Also, consider that this includes me dieting, which wasn't particularly strict, just limiting calorie intake on non-workout days, while eating a little more on workout days. If I had been keeping a high calorie intake the entire time, I'm 100% certain I would have had a greater muscle gain.

thispego
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
what i actually meant to say though was only the ones on the wall in your house when i come over to fuck retard's momma

:lmao

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I had already been doing regular lifting for almost a year prior to starting the 5x5 (with not much results), so at that time, I was at 6'2, 202lbs. I wasn't really muscular, nor was I particularly fat either, just an average looking dude. After about 6 weeks, I was at about 204, and visibly slimmer/more muscular.

Also, consider that this includes me dieting, which wasn't particularly strict, just limiting calorie intake on non-workout days, while eating a little more on workout days. If I had been keeping a high calorie intake the entire time, I'm 100% certain I would have had a greater muscle gain.

i never understood limiting calorie intake. whenever i was working out, i always ate as much as humanly possible for maximum growth. everyone i know who is big does the same, if you're active and do your cardio i don't see why a healthy young lifter would eat anything under 3k calories per day.

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 03:50 PM
honestly people that limit calories are doing something wrong or just have a shit metabolism. if you're eating nothing but lean healthy food, meals spaced out evenly, you can pretty much afford to eat as much as you like.

stretch
02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
i never understood limiting calorie intake. whenever i was working out, i always ate as much as humanly possible for maximum growth. everyone i know who is big does the same, if you're active and do your cardio i don't see why a healthy young lifter would eat anything under 3k calories per day.

My goal isn't to get particularly big though. You can still gain strength without getting huge (for instance, Kobe isn't particularly big, but reportedly benches well over 350). I'm currently trying to make strength gains while losing fat. I want to get down and hit a level of 6-8% body fat (not maintain, just reach it) by fall of this year, and starting winter, I'm going to focus on bulking up a bit more.

stretch
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
honestly people that limit calories are doing something wrong or just have a shit metabolism. if you're eating nothing but lean healthy food, meals spaced out evenly, you can pretty much afford to eat as much as you like.

Well, I'm not just sitting around counting calories. I'm moreso just eating less than I usually would eat, on non-workout days, and eating my normal amount (or slightly more) on workout days.

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
My goal isn't to get particularly big though.

well there you go :lol

You can still gain strength without getting huge (for instance, Kobe isn't particularly big, but reportedly benches well over 350). I'm currently trying to make strength gains while losing fat. I want to get down and hit a level of 6-8% body fat (not maintain, just reach it) by fall of this year, and starting winter, I'm going to focus on bulking up a bit more.

you know you can still eat as much as you want and lose body fat right? whats much more important is what you're eating, if you're eating nothing but lean chicken and many servings of fruits and vegetables every day with no junk or bad carbs like white breads and things, and working out/doing your cardio, you're going to naturally get leaner and stronger regardless no matter how much you eat. the key is what, not how much, and cardio. cardio is the key to being lean. guys who bulk do less cardio and eat 5k calories, i'd say 3k-3.5k for you.

point is, you don't have to limit your portions really, you can eat as much as you like as long as its the right things.

SnakeBoy
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
If you really like milk, you could try the GOMAD diet (Gallon Of Milk A Day), although that might be overkill. I'd say a half gallon a day would more than fit most people's needs.

LOL, I'm married to a lipidologist...she'd kill me if I started drinking that much milk a day. She's actually the one who got me to switch to a vegan diet (except when we go out to eat) by making me watch this movie...

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Forks-Over-Knives/70185045

Worth watching.

stretch
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
well there you go :lol

you know you can still eat as much as you want and lose body fat right? whats much more important is what you're eating, if you're eating nothing but lean chicken and many servings of fruits and vegetables every day with no junk or bad carbs like white breads and things, and working out/doing your cardio, you're going to naturally get leaner and stronger regardless no matter how much you eat. the key is what, not how much, and cardio. cardio is the key to being lean. guys who bulk do less cardio and eat 5k calories, i'd say 3k-3.5k for you.

point is, you don't have to limit your portions really, you can eat as much as you like as long as its the right things.

Oh yeah, I know that. And it's not like I'm starving myself or struggling to get through the day. I still feel fine doing so, and have been able to lose fat at a very steady pace. I don't really eat much junk, and try to avoid drinking calories, unless it's milk. On non-workout days, I still eat at least 2000 calories, and on workout days I definitely hit the 3k mark.

I play basketball a couple times a week as well, and do light jogging/elliptical work from time to time to keep cardio up. I fully intend to increase it heavily soon though, probably in a month when it gets warmer. Especially since I'm in one of those stupid weight-loss contests at work, and if I win, I get like $300. I'm currently in the lead, and I haven't really tried hard to actually lose weight. :lol

lefty
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
My body is superior to your bodies

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 04:07 PM
man i can't WAIT for it to get warmer. i need to get back into shape. rough breakup really fucked my world up and i'm not half the athlete i used to be. been playing basketball a couple times here and there when i get the chance. basketball is really the best cardio you can do.

cantthinkofanything
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
man i can't WAIT for it to get warmer. i need to get back into shape. rough breakup really fucked my world up and i'm not half the athlete i used to be. been playing basketball a couple times here and there when i get the chance. basketball is really the best cardio you can do.

hoops is the best medicine after a rough breakup tbh

lefty
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
hoops is the best medicine after a rough breakup tbh
Yup

Nothing heals rough breakups like holes

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
it really is, i use it to get away for a little while whenever i'm stressed out about school or something or just need a break. its easy to forget about everything else while you're playing basketball.

thispego
02-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Obviously I'm not limiting my calories but eating as much as I can, but how the eff do you guys keep track of this shit? Like how can I be certain I'm getting at least the 3000 - 3500 I need every day?

thispego
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
rough breakup really fucked my world up

lol

stretch
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Obviously I'm not limiting my calories but eating as much as I can, but how the eff do you guys keep track of this shit? Like how can I be certain I'm getting at least the 3000 - 3500 I need every day?

Either you can get one of those apps where you can input all the food you eat and it estimates the calories you have taken in, or you can just eat till you feel full like 4-5 times a day, and that should probably be enough calories.

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM

it's usually a rough estimate, but every food label has the calorie content on it. the rest you can get off of some websites, broken down by volume for instance 8oz of chicken = X calories etc. they even have phone apps and programs that track this sort of stuff.

thispego
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
I've tried a phone app or two but they suck. I do t eat out much somi have to calculate 4 slices of turkey, 1 slice of cheese, 4 strips of bacon, mayo, mustard, two slices of whole wheat bread, hand full of potato chips, pickle. Wtf, how do you calculate all that shit?

mavs>spurs
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
the package tells you how much is in each slice of turkey, cheese, etc. you just estimate where you have to and add it all up.....obviously you can't really calculate for the mustard and shit but everything else it will tell you on the package.

thispego
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I use the deli, can I get that info from them?

leemajors
02-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Why do you need it to be warm to get back into shape?

leemajors
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I use the deli, can I get that info from them?

Boars head or any other brand should have info on their website or packaging.

The Reckoning
02-14-2012, 07:23 PM

fuck kidney stones

IronMexican
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
GOMAD? Get the fuck off /fit/. stretch.

thispego
02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Boars head or any other brand should have info on their website or packaging.

Thanks brotha

Leetonidas
04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Hit 400lbs on my deadlift today

IWantsACuatro
04-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Instead of deadlifting, I've been doing powercleans like we used to do in football.

I don't take my chances with squatting, that's a herniated disc waiting to happen.

I usually do 4 sets x 6 reps bench three times a week and add 2.5 pounds on each side every week. On Mon/Wed I do 4 sets x 6 reps powercleans and add 5-10 pounds on each side every week. Then 3x12 of leg press, 4x10 bicep curls and 3x30 forearm curls. On Fridays I do bench, incline, tricep curls, leg press and calf raises. Tues/Thurs I do a ton of bicycle kicks and pullups. Saturdays I swim laps. I feel fucking good.

RaZon
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Been lifting for about 17 years, started when I was 15 for football. The key is routine, that and progresive weight changes. You have to constantly put more stress on the muscle group. Tear down, build up. Without progressive weight changes you will stagnant.

So every 3 months or so add a couple pounds. I do 4 sets of 10....but once the weight add go back to 3-8. Then fuck around getting back up to 4-10. No real system just what feels right.

behind the neck
squats
bench
curls...one week barbells, the next dumbbells.
overhead
tricep dips
pullups...bringing the weight from you knees to chin.
pushups...50

That is done on mon/wed/fri. I got to have the old steel weights. Love that clang, love the feel.

Tues/thurs is cardio, running the bleachers (school a couple blocks away) skip rope, jumping jacks, running in place. A solid hour of whatever I'm in the mood for.

Sat & sun..off.

I don't get all wrapped up in diet to where it's freaky. Common sense works. I do B-12 tabs. I also mix a 2 egg/banana/honey/milk drink. More chicken, fish, veggies than red meat, fried food. But don't worry too much about it.

The main thing is do it. Make it who you are not something you do.

Big Empty
04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
So im getting super serious about getting back into shape. want to lose 30 pounds and ill be in great shape again. But my question is protien shakes. everyone at the gym swears by them. Is it a good idea to add this to your workout prior or after to help recovery? or is it all a myth?

Trill Clinton
04-03-2014, 12:19 PM
this thread needs to be stickied.

i don't do any of those crazy ass hippie diets and routines. just old fashioned weight training with a focus on over training. i stick with about 3-4 lifts with at least 7 sets of high reps. i also try to completely exhaust the muscle before i get into my sets.

i been on my mike rashid shit lately.

leemajors
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
So im getting super serious about getting back into shape. want to lose 30 pounds and ill be in great shape again. But my question is protien shakes. everyone at the gym swears by them. Is it a good idea to add this to your workout prior or after to help recovery? or is it all a myth?

why don't you just eat foods with plenty of protein instead?

Trill Clinton
04-03-2014, 12:24 PM

they're good pre/post workout to help keep all those gains you make, pleighboi. if your diet is high in protein already, i'd suggest 2-3 protein shakes throughout the day...50g of protein each. i drink 1 for a snack around 10am along with some fruit and another around 4pm for an afternoon snack. if i haven't hit all my protein macros by dinner, i'll have another shake.

Katherine Robinson
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Myth? No, but it is the biggest exaggeration in the fitness world. A shake is a portable meal which can be built to have your perfect macro split. It's a convenience, not a big muscle building/recovery trick. It is a tool to achieve a proper diet which will help in those regards.

Drink away of it fits your macros, it they do not then you aren't missing out on anything more than convenience.

Big Empty
04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
why don't you just eat foods with plenty of protein instead?

thats why i was asking if it was a myth. im wondering if then natural shit you get from samon or eggwhites or lean meat is better or if whey protein is broken down differently. Its hard to argue with someone thats in way better shape than you are telling you to do it lol like trill ha!

benefactor
04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
A post workout shake is good for recovery...but a high protein diet is what you need overall. Grilled chicken, fish, eggs, etc.

I really tightened down when I started running my cardio in the middle of my heavy routine. I do six-seven stations on training days. I'll do the heaviest lifts first then 30-45 minutes of cardio, then the last three afterwards. I train a total of 4 days a week, but I only mix the cardio/heavy weight on 3 of those. Day 4 is a straight weight day. It sucks lifting after good hard cardio but if you can push through it works. Remember, working out is a mind game. You can do more than you think you can and it comes down to a decision not to quit.

And :lol at me recommending Crossfit originally in this thread. Don't get near that bullshit unless you want to get injured. I said that before I researched it closely and knew any better. I heard of several people I know blowing out knees and shoulders.

benefactor
04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
My latest thing has been standing overhead military presses. That shit suuuucks but it will make you strong as hell in the shoulders, lower back and core.

Koolaid_Man
04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
My latest thing has been standing overhead military presses. That shit suuuucks but it will make you strong as hell in the shoulders, lower back and core.

but very weak in the raising daughter dept. :hat

Trill Clinton
04-03-2014, 12:59 PM

yup one of the GOAT excersises. try doing them behind the head too.

Big Empty
04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
A post workout shake is good for recovery...but a high protein diet is what you need overall. Grilled chicken, fish, eggs, etc.

I really tightened down when I started running my cardio in the middle of my heavy routine. I do six-seven stations on training days. I'll do the heaviest lifts first then 30-45 minutes of cardio, then the last three afterwards. I train a total of 4 days a week, but I only mix the cardio/heavy weight on 3 of those. Day 4 is a straight weight day. It sucks lifting after good hard cardio but if you can push through it works. Remember, working out is a mind game. You can do more than you think you can and it comes down to a decision not to quit.

And :lol at me recommending Crossfit originally in this thread. Don't get near that bullshit unless you want to get injured. I said that before I researched it closely and knew any better. I heard of several people I know blowing out knees and shoulders.
i just joined crossfit and my shoulders are super super sore still. this was monday lol

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Shakes/supplements are good for convenience but that's about it. For maximum nutrition/health find the natural foods that have the nutrition you need and eat them. Any processing destroys some of the nutrition, plus these shakes/supplements aren't regulated so you can never be sure exactly what your getting. I've tried a number of shakes over the years and all they ever did was make me have to shit.

Main thing is stick with it like RaZon said...that's the hardest part.

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
i just joined crossfit and my shoulders are super super sore still. this was monday lol

My wife has been doing crossfit for about 2 years and she has made tremendous gains. Endurance wise she kicks my ass now. Just remember some crossfit instructors have no clue what they are doing and will push you to do things that will get you hurt...don't listen to them. My wife likes it because of the group atmosphere whereas I'm just the opposite. All I want is my ipod and to be left alone when I'm working out.

TinTin
04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
I saw this thread pop up and read through it. Some feedback would be appreciated :toast

24 years old here and I have chronic mid-lower back pain due to various reasons. I go for physio but it feels like these glorified massage therapists actually try to retard your progress to make more off you. I have been thinking about increasing my overall body strength to help my back and shoulders out.

Should I consider lifting at all? Is that 5x5 program stretch or blackswords recommended any good?

leemajors
04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
I saw this thread pop up and read through it. Some feedback would be appreciated :toast

24 years old here and I have chronic mid-lower back pain due to various reasons. I go for physio but it feels like these glorified massage therapists actually try to retard your progress to make more off you. I have been thinking about increasing my overall body strength to help my back and shoulders out.

Should I consider lifting at all? Is that 5x5 program stretch or blackswords recommended any good?

May help to be specific abiut the "various reasons" - my brother has back issues, but regular exercise (usually cycling), an inversion table and a stretching regimen keeps him limber and free of pain.

TinTin
04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
May help to be specific abiut the "various reasons" - my brother has back issues, but regular exercise (usually cycling), an inversion table and a stretching regimen keeps him limber and free of pain.

It just flared up when I was sitting in class one day. I can only speculate on the reasons being a combination of not using proper form when lifting things at work (Not working anymore), going without any exercise, tight and weak back muscles, being borderline overweight (No longer at that apex either), and extremely bad posture (Trying to fix this)

I started taking physio soon after I discovered that sitting in a 3 hour exam is much worse than the exam itself. I pretty much have trouble sitting in most chairs (unless it's a nice ergonomic one with back support) but can tolerate it. The physio and the stretches recommended is starting to loosen my back and it helps me correct my posture faster because I notice it earlier.

I feel like there are surely some things I can be doing in addition to physio to speed up my recovery and also prevent any relapse.

leemajors
04-03-2014, 09:28 PM
It just flared up when I was sitting in class one day. I can only speculate on the reasons being a combination of not using proper form when lifting things at work (Not working anymore), going without any exercise, tight and weak back muscles, being borderline overweight (No longer at that apex either), and extremely bad posture (Trying to fix this)

I started taking physio soon after I discovered that sitting in a 3 hour exam is much worse than the exam itself. I pretty much have trouble sitting in most chairs (unless it's a nice ergonomic one with back support) but can tolerate it. The physio and the stretches recommended is starting to loosen my back and it helps me correct my posture faster because I notice it earlier.

I feel like there are surely some things I can be doing in addition to physio to speed up my recovery and also prevent any relapse.

Have you tried a foam back roller?

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

Stretch Stretch Stretch...especially hamstrings
Then focus on form and don't try to go heavy
Then stretch some more.

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
this thread needs to be stickied.

i don't do any of those crazy ass hippie diets and routines. just old fashioned weight training with a focus on over training. i stick with about 3-4 lifts with at least 7 sets of high reps. i also try to completely exhaust the muscle before i get into my sets.

i been on my mike rashid shit lately.

Your larger muscles(chest, etc) will respond better to lower reps with higher weight IMO, and your higher reps(10 to 12) should be limited to your smaller muscles(biceps, etc)..

You should also be careful with over training, I wouldn't do it for all my workouts, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2014, 11:39 PM

Whey/protein is just an aid in getting more protein for your diet..it's convenient and generally necessary, tbh..

It isn't some magic supplement that will increase your muscle growth, it's just a dietary aid, and it's definitely worth having..it isn't easy to get all your daily protein from whole foods, you need the protein macros IMO..

If your goal is to lose 30 pounds, just figure out your maintenance calories and subtract by 10-20%( http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm ) + get a multivitamin..learn about macros by researching a little, but everybody's body responds differently to specific macros..just make sure to get at least 1G of protein per your body weight..

That's all you need for basic weight lifting/getting in shape if you're new to the game IMO..if you decide to fully commit, you should learn about supplements, nutrient timing, glycemic levels, confusing your muscles, etc..

AaronY
04-04-2014, 03:45 AM
but very weak in the raising daughter dept. :hat

thats telling em

Trill Clinton
04-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Your larger muscles(chest, etc) will respond better to lower reps with higher weight IMO, and your higher reps(10 to 12) should be limited to your smaller muscles(biceps, etc)..

You should also be careful with over training, I wouldn't do it for all my workouts, tbh..

i overtrain on my chest, back and shoulders. my body responds better to high volume workouts. this is an example of what my chest workouts look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhNyvTF5Uw

back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69IJiQGxQ4

benefactor
04-04-2014, 07:49 AM
His bench is similar to what I do but mine is a more structured pyramid(I refer to it as the heavy ladder). I will warm up with 10-12 reps at 135, then 8 reps at 185 and 8 reps at 205. Then I move to the heaviest part of the ladder where I do five sets...8 at 265, 6 at 285, 4 at 305, 6 at 275 then 8 at 255 or 265, depending on my fatigue level. Sometimes I one rep at 325 at the top before coming back down. On my opposite chest day I will replace the last chest set with a burnout at 225.

Leetonidas
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
hey I forgot about this topic.

Took a break from lifting for awhile but been back on it. Got my deadlift to 445lb. Working sets of squats now at 305lbs. Bench up to 225. Went for a 500lb deadlift the other day but they won't let me use chalk in the Rec center at UTSA so I could only get that bitch like two inches off the ground before it slipped from my grip. I'll get that shit soon though

TinTin
04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Have you tried a foam back roller?

Looks sweet for your lower and mid back. Thanks, I'll check it out

Stretch Stretch Stretch...especially hamstrings
Then focus on form and don't try to go heavy
Then stretch some more.

Thanks, I realized that I should focus more on loosening my muscles before performing any work on them

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2014, 03:32 PM
If you're new to lifting, focusing on compound lifts and full-body workouts is better IMO, so most of the 5x5 should be fine, but doing squats, dead lifts, etc with a bad back is risky, especially with a heavy load..

I'd do some research on it if I was you, check out some of the bodybuilding forums, there are many threads about lifting with back problems/back injuries and how to work around it..

Avante
04-05-2014, 09:12 PM
The bottom line when it comes to any lifting is sticking to it and progression weight additions. Constantly be adding weight while decreasing reps. Then once that weight becomes sissy, ya add and start all over. If ya lift alone you do have to be careful with the bench, it's not fun being stuck under weight.

I prefer to lift every day, going with working different body parts. Ya stay more focused that way. I do take Sundays off.

Big Empty
04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
so I bought some protein shake today at gnc. 3rd week started today at crossfit and im just now getting used to the workouts. i havnt lost any weight cause im still eating and drinking my ass off smh. but the workouts are alot more than i do alone so i know some will eventually come off now that im going 3 times a week. excited about trying to eat right and drink a little less now that i can handle the workouts. Its a fucking challenge in that gym

SnakeBoy
04-14-2014, 08:36 PM
so I bought some protein shake today at gnc. 3rd week started today at crossfit and im just now getting used to the workouts. i havnt lost any weight cause im still eating and drinking my ass off smh. but the workouts are alot more than i do alone so i know some will eventually come off now that im going 3 times a week. excited about trying to eat right and drink a little less now that i can handle the workouts. Its a fucking challenge in that gym

If weight loss is your goal you should stay away from the blubber shakes imo.

Avante
04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
ya take a banana without skin
two egg whites
teaspoon of honey
one pack of Instant Breakfast
toss it all in a blender with some milk

yummy, and it's a great energy drink.

FkLA
10-22-2015, 01:45 AM
Got myself some olympic weights and built a wooden power rack since I moved into the house in the Summer. Really wish I would've started lifting on a legit routine when I was younger. Initially had to force myself to get into it but after a while it's fucking therapeutic man, seriously great for stress. Also can't help but think what kind of athlete I could've been if I was on a good routine back in the day :(...not a pro or anything but definitely better than what I was.

BD24
10-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Got myself some olympic weights and built a wooden power rack since I moved into the house in the Summer. Really wish I would've started lifting on a legit routine when I was younger. Initially had to force myself to get into it but after a while it's fucking therapeutic man, seriously great for stress. Also can't help but think what kind of athlete I could've been if I was on a good routine back in the day :(...not a pro or anything but definitely better than what I was.
I'm the same way. Didn't start lifting until I was in college. Really wish I would of while I was in high school, I can notice a huge difference just when I play ball now. Probably could of placed at state while in track if I lifted. But I was young and arrogant so didn't think I needed to lift. But yea once you get into a routine lifting is nice, I look forward to going to the gym and throwing them weights around.

BD24
10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
i overtrain on my chest, back and shoulders. my body responds better to high volume workouts. this is an example of what my chest workouts look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhNyvTF5Uw

back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69IJiQGxQ4
Thanks for posting these. I have plateaued on chest for awhile now. I mean I see gains, but pretty minimal at this point. Going to give this a try and see if I can get some good results.

benefactor
10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah...I'd probably be a fucking basket case if I didn't lift.

I feel the same way. I am somewhat fast naturally...so I think I could have at least looked into some local JUCO ball if I would have taken on a stricter workout program. I actually saw one my old HS coaches at my gym once. He said, "damn boy, if you would have worked this hard in high school we might have won more games.":lol

benefactor
10-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty much in maintenance mode as far as lifting goes right now. At some point I may shoot for the 400lb club on bench but I'm not working actively for it like I was. I did add back in the inclines though(didn't do them for years after I hurt my shoulder). It's definitely benefited me on my heavy bench day.

Buddy Mignon
10-22-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm the same way. Didn't start lifting until I was in college. Really wish I would of while I was in high school, I can notice a huge difference just when I play ball now. Probably could of placed at state while in track if I lifted. But I was young and arrogant so didn't think I needed to lift. But yea once you get into a routine lifting is nice, I look forward to going to the gym and throwing them weights around.

In the special Olympics... lol

BD24
10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
In the special Olympics... lol
That's the best you have naruto? While you were at home watching naruto in high school I was out beasting on people in the mile.

FkLA
10-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Apparently lifting creates an endorphin rush. Makes sense. :tu

FkLA
10-23-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty much in maintenance mode as far as lifting goes right now. At some point I may shoot for the 400lb club on bench but I'm not working actively for it like I was. I did add back in the inclines though(didn't do them for years after I hurt my shoulder). It's definitely benefited me on my heavy bench day.

Damn so your bench is around the three fiddy area I'm assuming. I just barely did 1 plate bench for 3x5 a couple weeks ago and am at 145 lbs this week. :lol

Do you squat and DL too? If so what do your lifts look like for those?

BD24
10-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Damn so your bench is around the three fiddy area I'm assuming. I just barely did 1 plate bench for 3x5 a couple weeks ago and am at 145 lbs this week. :lol

Anyone who can bench over 300 is a fucking man. Always impressed when I see someone pushing that kind of weight at the gym. My goal is to eventually bench double my body weight, if I get around 300 I can do that.

FkLA
10-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Anyone who can bench over 300 is a fucking man. Always impressed when I see someone pushing that kind of weight at the gym. My goal is to eventually bench double my body weight, if I get around 300 I can do that.

Damn brah you're a twig or what? But yeah benching 300+ is impressive af. Long way to go but I'll make it to that level one day tbh.

BD24
10-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Damn brah you're a twig or what? But yeah benching 300+ is impressive af. Long way to go but I'll make it to that level one day tbh.
I only weigh about 140 at the moment, I'm about 5'9. Super strong and ripped for my size though, people generally think I weigh around 160-170 when they look at me. Last time I maxed out it was at 265. That was awhile back though, thinking I could possibly hit 275 now. I think if I can get up to 150 I can add enough muscle to bench 300. I have an insane metabolism though so putting on weight is a bitch.

Not sure what you bench now, but just keep at it and the gains keep coming. Until you plateau of course, then its a bitch to see very minimal gains. First year or so though you can build strength and size like crazy if you have the right build for it.

DMX7
10-24-2015, 12:23 AM
I get poor results when I "train to failure" (no pun intended). I think high reps is better but you got to be able to add weight as time goes on. A clean and high protein diet is important for that.

FkLA
10-24-2015, 08:04 AM
I only weigh about 140 at the moment, I'm about 5'9. Super strong and ripped for my size though, people generally think I weigh around 160-170 when they look at me. Last time I maxed out it was at 265. That was awhile back though, thinking I could possibly hit 275 now. I think if I can get up to 150 I can add enough muscle to bench 300. I have an insane metabolism though so putting on weight is a bitch.

Not sure what you bench now, but just keep at it and the gains keep coming. Until you plateau of course, then its a bitch to see very minimal gains. First year or so though you can build strength and size like crazy if you have the right build for it.

I don't get how some of you motherfuckers can be so skinny. Even if your metabolism is insane, all you gotta do is eat like a pig to overcome it. Seems like a such a simple solution imo. 275 is pretty good for your BW though.

Only 145 for 3x5, not even sure what my 1RM is since I haven't tried it. Just started three months ago, I fucked around with dumbbells back in the day but never with barbells and never on an organized routine. I'm hooked though as I can't see myself not lifting ever again.

BD24
10-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I don't get how some of you motherfuckers can be so skinny. Even if your metabolism is insane, all you gotta do is eat like a pig to overcome it. Seems like a such a simple solution imo. 275 is pretty good for your BW though.

Only 145 for 3x5, not even sure what my 1RM is since I haven't tried it. Just started three months ago, I fucked around with dumbbells back in the day but never with barbells and never on an organized routine. I'm hooked though as I can't see myself not lifting ever again.
You would think it works like that, but unfourtanetly not the case. I used to eat 6 times a day in college, very high protein diet, and the heaviest I got to was about 143. Hoping my metabolism starts to slow down sometime soon.

Try 5x5 instead of 3x5. I don't know if you are already doing it or not, but split muscle groups up into different days. For examples I do bis/tris one day, back and shoulders one day, then legs and chest both get their own days. I do abs every day. Keep mixing up your routine, maybe 3x8 one time, 5x5 one time, and then pyramids the next.

FkLA
10-24-2015, 10:50 AM
You would think it works like that, but unfourtanetly not the case. I used to eat 6 times a day in college, very high protein diet, and the heaviest I got to was about 143. Hoping my metabolism starts to slow down sometime soon.

Try 5x5 instead of 3x5. I don't know if you are already doing it or not, but split muscle groups up into different days. For examples I do bis/tris one day, back and shoulders one day, then legs and chest both get their own days. I do abs every day. Keep mixing up your routine, maybe 3x8 one time, 5x5 one time, and then pyramids the next.

Is it really that hard to find high-calorie food though? Add some french fries or ice cream to your diet if you have to. I've never understood that struggle.

I'm on a full body routine, which I read is best for beginners. I thought about doing StrongLift's 5x5 but I'm also cutting and figured lower volume would work best with my cut. I chose Fierce 5 which is three sets (reps are 5 or 8 depending on the lift). Going to stay on it through my cut and during my bulk until I stall on my compound lifts. Then I'll look for a good, established intermediate routine. I don't trust myself to make my own routine, atleast not at this stage...actually think it's kind of stupid when beginners make up their own when there's so many established ones out there with proven results.

Smart Ass
10-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I keep a log of my workouts. Anyone else?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/d7270971801bbed37de81ca41e69d2f1/tumblr_mt2ukyC3cM1qexeroo1_250.gif

BD24
10-24-2015, 11:17 AM
how long u clowns stay in the gym for? do u just do ur reps for that body part then head home?
Yea, but ur doing multiple lifts for each body part. Like on chest day I am doing 3-5 different lifts for chest. I would say I am generally in the gym around an hour, give or take a few minutes depending on my motivation level

DMC
10-24-2015, 10:46 PM
lol where's that long blonde headed faggot who posted pics of his body after being called a pussy?

Leetonidas
10-25-2015, 07:35 PM
I remember when I had time to lift weights regularly :depressed

FkLA
10-26-2015, 01:05 PM
I remember when I had time to lift weights regularly :depressed

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/comeon.png

Leetonidas
10-26-2015, 06:09 PM
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/comeon.png

Yeah I got pretty swole there for awhile lifting constantly but it's hard to maintain it for years. I'll start again for a few months regularly and then do it occassionally once school starts. And after my main workout buddy graduated last semester I really got lazy about it tbh

BD24
10-26-2015, 06:21 PM

Yeah I got pretty swole there for awhile lifting constantly but it's hard to maintain it for years. I'll start again for a few months regularly and then do it occassionally once school starts. And after my main workout buddy graduated last semester I really got lazy about it tbh
Shit if you think its hard when your in college, just wait until you get a full time job. Gets to be real hard to keep up on working out then.

benefactor
10-26-2015, 06:44 PM

You'll get there man. It just takes time. I still sometimes can't believe I can load 315 on a bar and push it off me pretty easily.

I'm scared as hell of DL's. I'm in my late 30's, so I avoid lifts that could potentially cause me to shoot a vertebra into the wall. I have a genetic condition in my knee(thanks dad) that keeps me from heavy squatting, but I do other leg stuff for strengthening. I also cycle, so that's kept my legs muscular enough to not look like light bulb guy.:lol

I'm jelly of people that have naturally big legs. The fact is, if you are a skinny legged guy thems the genetic brakes. I don't have a big bone structure naturally so my legs are what they are. People often talk about how I've got some size on me but are surprised when I show them how small my wrists are.

Leetonidas
10-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Shit if you think its hard when your in college, just wait until you get a full time job. Gets to be real hard to keep up on working out then.

I've been working 38 hours a week or so for the last 4 years while going to school tbh that's why it's taking me so long :depressed

Dat poverty doe

FkLA
10-26-2015, 10:53 PM

Try a fullbody routine brah, about 1 hour only 3 times a week.

You'll get there man. It just takes time. I still sometimes can't believe I can load 315 on a bar and push it off me pretty easily.

I'm scared as hell of DL's. I'm in my late 30's, so I avoid lifts that could potentially cause me to shoot a vertebra into the wall. I have a genetic condition in my knee(thanks dad) that keeps me from heavy squatting, but I do other leg stuff for strengthening. I also cycle, so that's kept my legs muscular enough to not look like light bulb guy.:lol

I'm jelly of people that have naturally big legs. The fact is, if you are a skinny legged guy thems the genetic brakes. I don't have a big bone structure naturally so my legs are what they are. People often talk about how I've got some size on me but are surprised when I show them how small my wrists are.

Yeah, DLs can be a bitch. I was told doing them wasn't all that complicated but it's been by far the lift I've struggled most to get proper form. I had some horrible back roundness that fucked me up for a bit initially. I've eliminated that but my mechanics still feel off. My squat form OTOH is on point but man are they brutal. If I was at a gym with more options I'd probably pussy out and look for a substitute to work my legs too.

Big legs are awesome. When I see brahs with good physiques I always find myself mirin their legs more than any other muscle group tbh.

BD24
10-26-2015, 11:12 PM
I've been working 38 hours a week or so for the last 4 years while going to school tbh that's why it's taking me so long :depressed

Dat poverty doe
Damn, thats rough.

benefactor
12-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Worked up to a one rep max on bench for the first time in a long time. After a nice long warm up I did 315 x 3, 335 x 2 and 350 x 1. Was a bit nervous getting under the 350 but I locked it out with no assistance. Felt damn good. Perhaps that 400 club before I turn 40 is obtainable after all.