PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich promises to build a moon colony by 2020; make it a U.S. state

Blake
01-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Rofl

..Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich announced that, if elected, he'd establish a colony on the moon by 2020.

In a speech to supporters on the Florida space coast, Gingrich called for a "grandiose" effort to colonize space. "It's the second great launch of the adventure John F. Kennedy started," said Gingrich.

Gingrich opened up the possibility of the moon becoming the 51st state...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/newt-gingrich-promises-build-moon-colony-2020-u-211103078.html

NewcastleKEG
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
More American jobs outsourced !

Halberto
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
lol what is this shit

ChumpDumper
01-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't he just make it Palestine?

NewcastleKEG
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
lol what is this shit
and he labeled Ron Paul 'out there' a month ago

z0sa
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Obvious pandering to the Space Coast. Additionally, while I honestly don't mind the concept and embrace further private sector involvement in our space programs (it's the only way a capitalist country will ever get anywhere with it nowadays IMHO), it is such bad timing for pushing the issue due to the economy. Surely there are plenty of people who would like to undertake their dreams of being an astro-naut, but it'd take some rather absurdly philanthropic philosophies overtaking some big corporations for there to ever be "5 launches every day".

mercos
01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Obvious pandering to the Space Coast. Additionally, while I honestly don't mind the concept and embrace further private sector involvement in our space programs (it's the only way a capitalist country will ever get anywhere with it nowadays IMHO), it is such bad timing for pushing the issue due to the economy. Surely there are plenty of people who would like to undertake their dreams of being an astro-naut, but it'd take some rather absurdly philanthropic philosophies overtaking some big corporations for there to ever be "5 launches every day".

Agreed. I actually love the concept and think this country needs a JFK like challenge/kick in the ass to get us going. When you really think about it, its rather embarrassing how little we have advanced in space exploration since we first landed on the moon. Unfortunately we can not afford those types of adventures right now. I am a little disappointed the private sector has not pushed further into this field as well as the space race led to the creation of many commercial products.

Wild Cobra
01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Agreed. I actually love the concept and think this country needs a JFK like challenge/kick in the ass to get us going. When you really think about it, its rather embarrassing how little we have advanced in space exploration since we first landed on the moon. Unfortunately we can not afford those types of adventures right now. I am a little disappointed the private sector has not pushed further into this field as well as the space race led to the creation of many commercial products.
Except how much of the materials will be made over seas rather than in the USA?

To me, it's like people feeling good because they bought a USA made Toyota instead of Japanese made. The majority of the money goes to the parts, which are mostly not made here. The labor on a robotic assembly line is pretty small in comparison.

YΟU GUYЅ ΑRΕ ЅΤΙLL ΕΝΑΒLΙΝG ΤHΕ ΟUΤЅΟURСΙΝG ΟF JΟΒЅ!

cheguevara
01-27-2012, 09:07 PM
The US going to the moon in 1969 was all due to the space race with USSR.

It is comparable to a high class guy buying a Lamborgini to impress his neighbor. Once he bought it there was nothing else to accomplish for a while. Meanwhile his stock and house value started to take a hit, the Lamborghini started collecting dust cause the guy could not even afford gas.

Now the US is like that guy who had to sell his Lambo to pay his home the mortgage. The guy can barely meet the bills nowadays and is driving a Cobalt. And then all of a sudden a member of his family, little Newt a little rascal with grandiose ideas, while having dinner proposes to buy a Rolls Royce :lmao

baseline bum
01-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Why would the private sector ever do any kind of space research? It's expensive as hell with no immediate payoff. LOL @ the thought of the private sector ever doing shit comparable to what NASA does.

TheProfessor
01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Every time it seems like Gingrich might have an advantage in the primaries, he goes out of his way to look like an ass.

baseline bum
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Every time it seems like Gingrich might have an advantage in the primaries, he goes out of his way to look like an ass.

I don't think it's too far out of the way for his adulterer ass, tbh.

hater
01-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Newt is just wingin it. He is a smart, top 1% intelligence guy, but he's just winging it.

DMX7
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Newt is amazingly full of himself. His campaign is broke too, yet that hasn't seemed to bring him down to reality.

Jacob1983
01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
I thought Puerto Rico was going to be the 51st state?

mouse
01-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Maybe he still thinks its made of cheese.

TeyshaBlue
01-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Heinlein shrugged.

Wild Cobra
01-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Isn't there suppose to be 57 states?

Spur_Fanatic
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Newt is an idiot.

blackfire12
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM
SMH... christ if anyone really believes the BS he spews daily then they deserve to have a huge let down come nut cutting time for the GOP.

A moon base? Really??

mouse
01-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I wonder if the new strict downloading laws will be enforced on the moon.

Wild Cobra
01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
LgxqWTL27-Y

greyforest
01-29-2012, 12:01 AM
the person who said this moronic horseshit is one of ~four people who have the chance to run the USA.

uh oh.

Winehole23
01-29-2012, 03:52 AM
The former House speaker struck his first chord by promising to support Puerto Rican statehood. "I want you to know that if the people of Puerto Rico have a referendum, and they vote for statehood, I will work with Congress to ensure that we work through that. I think in every way we have an opportunity here—I'm not urging people to vote one way or another, I think people in Puerto Rico have to make their own mind up—I will work with the governor and we will work with the Congress."http://reason.com/blog/2012/01/28/gingrich-promises-puerto-rican-statehood