PDA

View Full Version : Where does Tiago rank among Centers

remingtonbo2001
01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Where would you rank Tiago Splitter among active centers considering statistics, potential, etc.?

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. Gasol(Marc)
4. Splitter

Robz4000
01-27-2012, 05:45 PM
As of now, he's middle of the pack at best. However, if he continues to beast as he's been doing lately, develops some sort of reliable jumpshot, and ceases to play soft completely, he'll definitely be top 10, if not top 5 in the future.

timvp
01-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Based on his recent play, pretty damn high. But it's likely he's playing above his head right now. No one shoots as good of a percentage as he's shot in his last ten games or so. I'll wait until he comes back down to earth before considering it too much in depth because he'd be absurdly high at the moment.

therealtruth
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Based on his recent play, pretty damn high. But it's likely he's playing above his head right now. No one shoots as good of a percentage as he's shot in his last ten games or so. I'll wait until he comes back down to earth before considering it too much in depth because he'd be absurdly high at the moment.

I was looking at Oberto's stats and he shot above 60% some seasons and his career average is 58. Shooting percentage is a function of the quality of shots you take and your basketball iq. Splitter's shooting percentage might not be a fluke. He seems as smart a player as Oberto and he's longer so he has less problems finishing around the basket. If anything Splitter should be leading in shot attempts because he shoots well and he's a good passer.

TJastal
01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I was looking at Oberto's stats and he shot above 60% some seasons and his career average is 58. Shooting percentage is a function of the quality of shots you take and your basketball iq. Splitter's shooting percentage might not be a fluke. He seems as smart a player as Oberto and he's longer so he has less problems finishing around the basket. If anything Splitter should be leading in shot attempts because he shoots well and he's a good passer.

What I love about Splitter is he's not afraid to attack the basket and get to the line. A lot. Oberto rarely ever attacked. Splitter has the potential to be so much better its scary.

Stalin
01-27-2012, 06:25 PM
nice to see that this year splitter is actually trying to dunk, instead of trying to pull of his faggy hookshots

timvp
01-27-2012, 07:47 PM

~60% might not be too much of a fluke, but I was talking about how Splitter is shooting 75% in his last ten games. That's simply not a number anyone can keep up. He's going to come back down to earth. It'll be interesting to see where his "earth" is, though.

DPG21920
01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Sure, but you've seen him play on both ends so normalize what you think he will be if his FG is 55-60%.

timvp
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Sure, but you've seen him play on both ends so normalize what you think he will be if his FG is 55-60%.

Teams are just starting to double team him. If that becomes the scouting report on him, that'll change the equation.

Splitter can crominate single teams but those days are probably coming to an end.

objective
01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Considering Splitter was great at passing out of double teams in Europe, him being doubled should be good for the Spurs.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM

He takes a lot of high percentage shots so I'd expect his FG& to be somewhere around 55-60% as well. Most of his points are coming from post ups with single coverage, easy feeds from PnR situations and free throws. Nothing really from outside the paint.

I dying to see him play some more double teams though. I think his play-making from the post could either shine or we could be in for a rude awakening on his inability to handle the double team. Either way though, him drawing double teams at all is a great thing to work off of.

timvp
01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Considering Splitter was great at passing out of double teams in Europe, him being doubled should be good for the Spurs.

True. Bad for his FG% and points per minute but good for the team.

(Last ten games, Splitter averaging 22 points per 40 minutes in addition to his .750 FG% :wow)

Das Texan
01-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Teams are just starting to double team him. If that becomes the scouting report on him, that'll change the equation.

Splitter can crominate single teams but those days are probably coming to an end.

But that should overall be a good thing for the Spurs as a whole. Unless Dick Jefferson is out there, because he has been so bad it doesnt matter if he is left wide open, he'll still find a way to curl up into the fetal position when it counts.

objective
01-27-2012, 08:11 PM

(Last ten games, Splitter averaging 22 points per 40 minutes in addition to his .750 FG% :wow)

Last 5 games is even better.

Per 36: 22.3 pts, 72.5% shooting, 11.3 rebounds.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-27-2012, 10:36 PM

...thankfully though, he's also a great passer, so doubling him is going to lead to easy baskets.

Splitter will be a handful for years to come.

:D

Caeman
01-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Wherever Tiago ranks it's definetly ahead of the TOSB.

Josepatches_
01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Double team....that's interesting..

If teams have to double team Splitter then he must be better than most of the NBA centers and of course clearly our best center since Robinson .

Howard...and...Bynum? And i'm not sure if teams double team Bynum a lot.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM

If teams have to double team Splitter then he must be better than most of the NBA centers and of course clearly our best center since Robinson .

Teams WERE doubling teaming Bynum like crazy. That is, until Kobe started shooting 25+ shots a game and single-handedly shut Bynum down himself.

Caeman
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Another interesting note. Timmy doesn't command double teams.

So, if Splitter demands a double team but Timmy does not, then you must conclude that Splitter ranks ahead of Timmy.

Caeman
01-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Also, did anyone see the play where Timmy was guarding Pekovic "the dream" and Kawhi pinched down on him. Pekovic dished it out for a 3 (i think it was Rubio).

So, Pekovic demands double teams but the TOSB does not. That's quite sad.

timvp
01-28-2012, 12:21 AM
^Duncan was getting doubled in three of the last five games.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
^Duncan was getting doubled in three of the last five games.

Was he double teamed tonight? I did not see him get double teamed tonight. In fact, it looked like Pekovic took care of his ass all by himself.

Also, please stop being disingenuous. Timmy hardly, if ever, gets double teamed any more.

Just stop. I watch the games. Lately I just root for the starters to keep it close so Splitter can put some work in without being down by 10+.

eric365
01-28-2012, 02:01 PM

And Splitter is 1 FG away to qualify to the nba stat leader minimum

He needs 5 FG made in the next game or 9 FG made in the next 2 games to lead the NBA in FG%

Caeman
01-28-2012, 02:14 PM
And Splitter is 1 FG away to qualify to the nba stat leader minimum

He needs 5 FG made in the next game or 9 FG made in the next 2 games to lead the NBA in FG%

Pop and Duncan won't allow this to happen. I believe they'll do all they can to hold Splitter back.

Allowing Splitter to play as the focal point of the offense makes Duncan look like what he is; a TOSB. Moreover, it makes Pop look like a dumbass for doubting the ability of one of his best players. In fact, i believe that Splitter is the best of our young players.

Pop and Duncan have to protect their rep. I'm guessing that's exactly what they'll do.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM

In that case, with the 3 point shooters we have, we should go to a 4-down type offense with splitter kicking it out to cutters (which he's shown an ability to) or open 3 point shooters in the Bowen and top spots.

Calispursfan11
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
To answer the original question:

MY TOP 20 CENTERS IN ORDER OF RANK

1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. P. Gasol
4. M. Gasol
5. Stoudamire
6. Jefferson
7. Chandler
8. Bargnani
9. Horford
10. Nene
11. Lee
12. Gortat
13. TIAGO SPLITTER!!!
14. Hibbert
15. Cousins
16. Verajao
17. Monroe
18. Noah
19. Dalembert
20. Ibaka

HONORABLE MENTION BUT MISSED THE CUT:

D. Jordan, Darko, K. Perkins, Haywood, Kaman, Camby, McGee, Okafor

As you can see, the center talent in the league has really grown, but Tiago is holding his own with his recent stellar play. He could be top ten soon if this keeps up.

Calispursfan11
01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I wasn't counting Timmy because I'm not sure if he's really a center. If he was, I'd still count him somewhere in the top 10.

BRs.Ganso
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Splitter for rookie-sopho game!

BillMc
01-29-2012, 05:44 AM
This is a little off topic, but it is Tiago related:

Hollinger on his latest chat had this to say about the Tiago situation:

Tiago (San Antonio)

Isn't it about time I was starting?

John Hollinger (1:05 PM)

He's making the case for it. I think they still worry about a Tiago-Tim front line and like having more shooting and mobility out there. Bringing him off the bench they can control the match-ups a bit more and use Tiago-Tim only when its advantageous.

pookenstein
01-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I wasn't counting Timmy because I'm not sure if he's really a center. If he was, I'd still count him somewhere in the top 10.

So how come 2 of your Top 5 are PF an on your List?

MY TOP 20 CENTERS IN ORDER OF RANK

1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. P. Gasol
4. M. Gasol
5. Stoudamire
6. Jefferson
7. Chandler
8. Bargnani
9. Horford
10. Nene
11. Lee
12. Gortat
13. TIAGO SPLITTER!!!
14. Hibbert
15. Cousins
16. Verajao
17. Monroe
18. Noah
19. Dalembert
20. Ibaka

D. Jordan, Darko, K. Perkins, Haywood, Kaman, Camby, McGee, Okafor

Fireball
01-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Pau Gasol plays PF ... but as Tim he has the skills of a center

Agree that guys like Stoudemire or Bargnani do not belong there ...

pookenstein
01-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Pau Gasol plays PF ... but as Tim he has the skills of a center.

Right. That's my point. If he includes guys like this in his list he has to include Tim as well.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
His at least top10 lookin into top5...depending on what value bringin too the team...

BRs.Ganso
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Stoudamire is PG not Center

Fireball
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Right. That's my point. If he includes guys like this in his list he has to include Tim as well.

you're right

Calispursfan11
01-29-2012, 12:31 PM

AMENDED TOP 20 CENTERS (INCL PFs w CENTER SKILLS) IN ORDER OF RANK

1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. P. Gasol
4. M. Gasol
5. Stoudamire
6. Jefferson
7. Chandler
8. TIM DUNCAN!!!
9. Bogut (I just remembered him)
10. Bargnani
11. Horford
12. Nene
13. Lee
14. Gortat
15. TIAGO SPLITTER!!!
16. Hibbert
17. Cousins
18. Verajao
19. Monroe
20. Noah

Dalembert, Ibaka, D. Jordan, Darko, K. Perkins, Haywood, Kaman, Camby, McGee, Okafor

Calispursfan11
01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Stoudamire is PG not Center

Mighty Mouse!!!

Lukor
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Splitter is averaging 9pts and 5 rebounds and you guys are putting him in the top10, some even in the top5? Give me a break.

therealtruth
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Splitter is averaging 9pts and 5 rebounds and you guys are putting him in the top10, some even in the top5? Give me a break.

He's also shooting 64% and averaging 1 block and shooting 74% from the free throw line in 20 mpg. He needs more minutes and touches.

Lukor
01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
He's also shooting 64% and averaging 1 block and shooting 74% from the free throw line in 20 mpg. He needs more minutes and touches.

True dat. I dont watch many Spurs games,but i always wonder why Pop doesnt play Timmy and Splitter together more. The spacing cant be that bad.

Tiago's stats are almost identical to Mahinmi this season btw (Splitter's are slightly better), but Mahinmi is on a vet min contract and still 2 years younger. Just sayin.

jesterbobman
01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Is putting Hibbert and Monroe below Splitter a joke?

I know Monroe is on a shitty team, but he can't be expected to do everything by himself.

Calispursfan11
01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Is putting Hibbert and Monroe below Splitter a joke?

I know Monroe is on a shitty team, but he can't be expected to do everything by himself.

I'm not god, but that's my opinion.