PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kaman available

ace3g
01-27-2012, 07:29 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
There's no deal in place, I'm reliably told, but Hornets have effectively shelved Chris Kaman until they can find trade home for him

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Kaman not with team tonight w/Hornets playing host to Orlando. Coach Monty Williams tells reporters Kaman shelved so youngsters can get PT

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7511891/new-orleans-hornets-actively-shopping-c-chris-kaman

FletcherMackel Fletcher Mackel
Kaman cannot be traded in a multi-player deal until 60 days after his trade to the Hornets. So don't expext a deal until 3rd week of Feb

lurker23
01-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Only way Spurs are in the Kaman conversation is if the Hornets are interested in RJ. Otherwise, the Spurs don't have the $$ in contracts to match up.

elemento
01-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Only way Spurs are in the Kaman conversation is if the Hornets are interested in RJ. Otherwise, the Spurs don't have the $$ in contracts to match up.

Let's forget about it then :lmao

TD 21
01-27-2012, 07:39 PM
The only chance the Spurs would have of acquiring him (using players they'd be willing to trade, obviously) is to offer Jefferson for Okur, then flip Okur, along with Blair and their 1st, for Kaman.

Kaman would allow Splitter to start, without the concern of having zero rim protection off the bench and fit as an off the bench replacement for him, as the sixth man and go-to scorer on the 2nd unit.

I'd prefer someone who can defend power forwards, but from a sheer talent standpoint -- even though he's overrated -- I can't see the Spurs being able to do better. And if he doesn't work out, it's not like they'd be locked into him long term.

timvp
01-27-2012, 07:40 PM
If Pop hardly plays Duncan and Splitter together, there's no way he would find time for someone who is a true blue center in addition to Duncan and Splitter. He'd never play Duncan and Kaman together and probably wouldn't play Kaman and Splitter together too much.

In other words, getting Kaman would mean less Splitter and a whole lot more Bonner.

Pass.

elemento
01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I have the feeling he will be a Celtic really soon

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Agreed elemento. Bean town for Kaman imo.

New Orleans will get some picks/young guys or something. They don't want RJs contract lmao

slick'81
yeah pop doesnt want two legit bigs let alone three with nothing to offer no would want lol@ jefferson for anyone

Cane
If Pop hardly plays Duncan and Splitter together, there's no way he would find time for someone who is a true blue center in addition to Duncan and Splitter. He'd never play Duncan and Kaman together and probably wouldn't play Kaman and Splitter together too much.

In other words, getting Kaman would mean less Splitter and a whole lot more Bonner.

Pass.

Kaman likes to shoot a jumper so I don't think pairing him with Duncan or Splitter would be a problem, ala McDyess

The real problem is making this work financially and assets-wise for Stern's Hornets.

And even though Kaman is a capable and decent overall big...not sure if he's really what the Spurs are looking for to help on the defensive end but it would be nice to have that much talent and size in the frontcourt

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Kaman is making 14 million this year. Even with RJ we would have to throw in another 2 million or so right?

Kaman for RJ, Anderson, and maybe Bonner or Blair. Definitely seems like a long shot as long as RJ is the main piece of the package.

timvp
01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Kaman likes to shoot a jumper so I don't think pairing him with Duncan or Splitter would be a problem, ala McDyess

Offensively, Kaman could fit since, as you said, his jumper is good enough to spread the floor a bit. But defense is why Pop wouldn't play Duncan and Kaman together. And really, I couldn't blame him. Which of Duncan or Kaman could defend mobile fours?

Splitter is about five times as mobile as Kaman and Pop still doesn't trust him against any power forward who can move.

lurker23
01-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Kaman is making 14 million this year. Even with RJ we would have to throw in another 2 million or so right?

Kaman for RJ, Anderson, and maybe Bonner or Blair. Definitely seems like a long shot as long as RJ is the main piece of the package.

Kaman for RJ+Anderson+Blair works money-wise, but I'm not sure if either side would say yes.

CGD
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd take him on a 1/2 year rental, but too bad we don't have the assets. Limited playing time should drive down his FA value this summer though.

Only reason Pop doesn't play TD/Splitter is because of the crap Blair/Bonner tandem and we all know it. A Kaman/Blair pairing off the bench would cure many of those issues.

lurker23
01-27-2012, 10:15 PM
@WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
As NBA/Hornets survey trade market for Chris Kaman, Rockets, Pacers, Jazz, Spurs are a few teams with interest, sources tell Y!

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/163097550331715585

ace3g
01-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Spurs just getting their quota in for trade/FA rumors:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
As NBA/Hornets survey trade market for Chris Kaman, Rockets, Pacers, Jazz, Spurs are a few teams with interest, sources tell Y!

Mal
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Offensively, Kaman could fit since, as you said, his jumper is good enough to spread the floor a bit. But defense is why Pop wouldn't play Duncan and Kaman together. And really, I couldn't blame him. Which of Duncan or Kaman could defend mobile fours?

Splitter is about five times as mobile as Kaman and Pop still doesn't trust him against any power forward who can move.

But Spurs dont play any D. So what`s the diffrence

siraulo23
01-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Spurs interested again

we all know how this ends

Sense
01-27-2012, 10:35 PM
This guy has been on my wishlist for the Spurs for a long time, he can rebound and defend and spread the floor with his little jumper, and he has a hook shot..

Not gonna happen :/

lurker23
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
More Woj:

To be clear, Jazz checked on Kaman some time ago but doesn't make sense now. Detroit likes him, needs center. Most teams have found (cont.)

(Cont.) Hornets asking price for Kaman too high. "They were asking for draft picks, cap space and a young player," one executive says.

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Kaman for RJ+Anderson+Blair works money-wise, but I'm not sure if either side would say yes.

I think I would do that trade from a Spurs perspective. Losing 2 wings and Blair for another legitimate Center could potentially put us over the top.

We could actually start Duncan and Splitter and have Kaman and Bonner off the bench. Losing 2 wings could bite us until Manu comes back.

Don't really see why the Hornets would be interested though.. RJ isnt an expiring, and apparently JA can't be even be dumped for a 2nd. The only intriguing player for them is Blair. They don't really have a deep 4 line-up.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
01-27-2012, 10:54 PM

Pass.

+ 10
the nightmare that is bonner will haunt us until he is 40

8FOR!3
01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
More Woj:

To be clear, Jazz checked on Kaman some time ago but doesn't make sense now. Detroit likes him, needs center. Most teams have found (cont.)

(Cont.) Hornets asking price for Kaman too high. "They were asking for draft picks, cap space and a young player," one executive says.

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

2nd round, Anderson/Blair, you wouldn't be able to pull off the trade w/o Jefferson's contract though would you?

crc21209
01-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Would love to have him over Bonner and Blair, but it's a longshot.....

Bruno
01-28-2012, 01:23 AM
Spurs fans should all hope hard that Spurs aren't really after Chris Kaman.

The only way to match Kaman salary without trading a member of the big 3, is to include RJ. The rebuilding Hornets will only take RJ's big contract if they get tons of incentives to do so. It will take at least Splitter and a first round pick to entice them at taking RJ's contract. You can imagine more complicate scenario with a three teams trade but it won't really change the fact that RJ has a big negative trade value.

If Spurs get Kaman in a trade, they will likely have given up at least Splitter and a first to get him. Do you really want that? I sure don't.

5in10
01-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't think the spurs would ever throw splitter into a trade for kaman.

LakerHater
01-28-2012, 01:38 AM
2nd round, Anderson/Blair
I'd do this!

DJ Mbenga
01-28-2012, 02:17 AM
gonna be tought to get to 14 million without touching RJ, duncan ginobli or parker. at minimum it requires leonard.

Brutalis
01-28-2012, 03:25 AM
No thanks.

If we wouldn't have fucked up on Scola and gave up on Ian this wouldn't be happening.

Brutalis
01-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Actually... I would take Kaman for Blair.

mountainballer
01-28-2012, 06:22 AM
agree with the timvp analysis.

Spurs are one of the few teams that display decent quality AND depth at center with Tim and Tiago. if you trade in that department, you want a significant upgrade. (which Kaman isn't, unless we count a significant rise of costs as an upgrade).

Spurs have one need and that's a quality PF. every other need is absolutely minor compared to this. Spurs interest in K-Mart makes a lot more sense than their interest in Kaman and I'm NOT a supporter of the K-Mart idea.
(btw. Lorbek could be such a quality PF, but we either don't know if he can translate his currently great play to the NBA game and if he will come over this summer at all. and we need help right now)

so get a PF. do it with whatever package you can design including Blair, Bonner, RJ, JA, 2012 1st rounder. it won't be an all star, it likely needs to be a player, who doesn't impress much with his current team. Spurs will need to take a flyer on an option, that isn't beautyful at first sight.

for example. (just to make 90% of you guys barf)
Channing Frye. (for Bonner+JA)
why him?
he might be one of the few players we could get for Matt Bonner. Suns do it, b/c it gives them more flexibility for a total restart 2012. (shorter and cheaper contract of Matt). they will increase the minutes for Morris, who somehow is a promise for the Suns future. they might even be instered in getting a close look at JA.
why the Spurs do it? Frye IS NOT an upgrade on defense at PF, but the bad news is, he isn't a downgrade from Blair/Bonner either. his lenghts and mobility might even produce slightly better results on defense, than those two. he IS an upgrade on offense though. not b/c he is that good, but b/c he will fit very nice alongside either Tim and Tiago (and might even work in a combination with Blair, when taking the center spot.)

Muser
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
It would take a Jackie Butler-esque disaster trade to get Kaman, so no thanks.

SenorSpur
01-28-2012, 10:52 AM
If the Spurs were to somehow throw what little assets they have into the fray for a frontline player, I would hope it would be a younger, more athletic, less-expensive, up-and-coming player like Jason Thompson (Kings) or someone of that ilk.

No disrespect to Kaman, but he's older and grossly overpaid. From an economic standpoint, he makes very little sense for the Spurs - and has been pointed out earlier - it's difficult to envision Pop ever playing Kaman alongside either Splitter or Duncan.

Pass on Kaman.

lmbebo
01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't envision him arriving here via trade. NO will want pieces that aren't worth moving, unless its Blair and/or JA.

Only way I see him in a Spurs uni if he's bought out and signs here as a FA.

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't envision him arriving here via trade. NO will want pieces that aren't worth moving, unless its Blair and/or JA.

Only way I see him in a Spurs uni if he's bought out and signs here as a FA.

This appears to be the only scenario I see the Spurs getting him IMHO.

jag
01-28-2012, 11:24 AM

It's sad that you could substitute Kaman's name in this sentence with basically any big-man the Spurs could acquire or trade for.

yavozerb
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Actually... I would take Kaman for Blair.

I would have to agree...RJ/Blair/Anderson for Kaman. I am pretty sure that NOH would want a 1st rd pick though as well though.

Kuestmaster
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Chris Sheridan includes the spurs in three possible trades for Kaman, the others being kaman to the rockets or to the nets.

Kaman to the San Antonio Spurs for Richard Jefferson, Danny Green, James Anderson, $3 million and the Spurs’ No. 1 pick in 2012. Jefferson is owed $21 million for the next two seasons, and he Hornets could not amnesty him. Green is this year’s version of George Hill but could be replaced in the rotation by rookie Cory Joseph (a 41 percent 3-point shooter in college) and/or rookie Kawhi Leonard. The Spurs would take a luxury tax hit, but owner Peter Holt has paid it in the past and won’t have to worry about it next year with Tim Duncan’s $21.3 million salary coming off the cap.

Tbh I'd put Blair instead of Danny Green in this trade, too much wings lost for a big. And with 5 bigs Splitter time would be cut again

the link: http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/28/sheridan-three-prospective-chris-kaman-trades/

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I would have to agree...RJ/Blair/Anderson for Kaman. I am pretty sure that NOH would want a 1st rd pick though as well though.

And in this draft that would be a deal breaker IMHO.:flag:

Got to keep that draft pick this year unless we can get a better one someway.
At the very least it will be around #15 which would be a good young player.

rmt
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
agree with the timvp analysis.

Spurs are one of the few teams that display decent quality AND depth at center with Tim and Tiago. if you trade in that department, you want a significant upgrade. (which Kaman isn't, unless we count a significant rise of costs as an upgrade).

Spurs have one need and that's a quality PF. every other need is absolutely minor compared to this. Spurs interest in K-Mart makes a lot more sense than their interest in Kaman and I'm NOT a supporter of the K-Mart idea.
(btw. Lorbek could be such a quality PF, but we either don't know if he can translate his currently great play to the NBA game and if he will come over this summer at all. and we need help right now)

so get a PF. do it with whatever package you can design including Blair, Bonner, RJ, JA, 2012 1st rounder. it won't be an all star, it likely needs to be a player, who doesn't impress much with his current team. Spurs will need to take a flyer on an option, that isn't beautyful at first sight.

for example. (just to make 90% of you guys barf)
Channing Frye. (for Bonner+JA)
why him?
he might be one of the few players we could get for Matt Bonner. Suns do it, b/c it gives them more flexibility for a total restart 2012. (shorter and cheaper contract of Matt). they will increase the minutes for Morris, who somehow is a promise for the Suns future. they might even be instered in getting a close look at JA.
why the Spurs do it? Frye IS NOT an upgrade on defense at PF, but the bad news is, he isn't a downgrade from Blair/Bonner either. his lenghts and mobility might even produce slightly better results on defense, than those two. he IS an upgrade on offense though. not b/c he is that good, but b/c he will fit very nice alongside either Tim and Tiago (and might even work in a combination with Blair, when taking the center spot.)

Would do the Frye trade in a heartbeat - after he hit clutch shot after clutch shot in the playoffs vs Spurs. Bonner won't ever be doing that. And Blair's contract doesn't match up, does it? I personally prefer Blair as a player but with TD and Splitter, Pop wants that stretch, spacing PF.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Frye sucks, do not want. I agree with what Bruno said, but I also disagree because the Spurs aren't stupid and they wouldn't include Tiago/Kawhi in a deal for Kaman. So if they somehow got Kaman, I think it would be a good thing because it means NO relented and accepted a package of RJ/our 1st round pick/Young player(s) and in that regard you have to do it. The ability to get a capable big man and erase RJ's contract with an expiring instead of amnesty is worth the first rounder and any young player outside of Tiago/Kawhi.

Now, I don't think they will accept anything less than Tiago or Kawhi, but that's another issue. I'm just saying in order for a deal to be reached, it would have to be NO relenting on what they want for Kaman and then the Spurs could come in and offer RJ/1st rounder/Blair/Green or Anderson and that is a deal you have to do.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Start Tiago/Duncan, bring Kaman/Bonner off the bench.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Chris Sheridan includes the spurs in three possible trades for Kaman, the others being kaman to the rockets or to the nets.

Kaman to the San Antonio Spurs for Richard Jefferson, Danny Green, James Anderson, $3 million and the Spurs’ No. 1 pick in 2012. Jefferson is owed $21 million for the next two seasons, and he Hornets could not amnesty him. Green is this year’s version of George Hill but could be replaced in the rotation by rookie Cory Joseph (a 41 percent 3-point shooter in college) and/or rookie Kawhi Leonard. The Spurs would take a luxury tax hit, but owner Peter Holt has paid it in the past and won’t have to worry about it next year with Tim Duncan’s $21.3 million salary coming off the cap.

Tbh I'd put Blair instead of Danny Green in this trade, too much wings lost for a big. And with 5 bigs Splitter time would be cut again

the link: http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/28/sheridan-three-prospective-chris-kaman-trades/

:vomit: Fuck that.

1. Kaman sucks
2. Splitter is good
3. The Spurs have no need whatsoever for a third center
4. A draft pick in the late teens will nab a solid player in this stacked draft

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Trading for Kaman only makes sense if the Spurs are trading Tim in another deal. :vomit:

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
:vomit: Fuck that.

1. Kaman sucks
2. Splitter is good
3. The Spurs have no need whatsoever for a third center
4. A draft pick in the late teens will nab a solid player in this stacked draft

IMO

1) Kaman doesn't suck
2) Spurs would still have Splitter, Splitter can start next to Duncan and we do need a true back up C in that situation off the bench with Bonner.
3) Spurs won't likely have a late teen(s) pick IMO and the ability to get rid of RJ's salary without having to use the amnesty (because Kaman is a 14M expiring) is well worth a late first rounder in any draft IMO especially because the Spurs seem to be valuing cap space anyways.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Trading for Kaman only makes sense if the Spurs are trading Tim in another deal. :vomit:

The only way what you just said makes sense is if you don't believe Tiago and Tim can play together and that if you don't believe cap space is really valuable.

8FOR!3
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
There are a few guys I'd give up for Kaman for sure, Splitter is not on that list. You're giving up more than you're getting back if you include Tiago in the trade.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Which is why IMO the Spurs wouldn't do that. If they ask for Kahwi or Tiago, Spurs don't do it. If they are to get Splitter, it will likely be as I outlined and in that case if you keep the Big 3 intact, keep Tiago and Kahwi, the Spurs have to do it even if it involved Blair, Green and a first rounder.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
IMO

1) Kaman doesn't suck
2) Spurs would still have Splitter, Splitter can start next to Duncan and we do need a true back up C in that situation off the bench with Bonner.
3) Spurs won't likely have a late teen(s) pick IMO and the ability to get rid of RJ's salary without have to use the amnest (because Kaman is a 14M expiring) is well worth a late first rounder in any draft IMO especially because the Spurs seem to be valuing cap space anyways.

1) Kaman is a piece of shit who underperforms like hell anytime there is any expectation on him. Just what the Spurs need though, a slow unathletic center who shoots 43% and goes into Bonner-fail when games mean something.
2) Splitter isn't going to start next to Duncan. This is a fantasy. Splitter is the backup 5.
3) The Spurs are one game out of the 10th seed in the West, and are awful on the road. They'll likely get into the playoffs at no better than a 7th seed, so drafting around 18-20 sounds about right.
4) Valuing cap space is moronic because no one comes to San Antonio unless it's to gravy-train a ring, and that time is long gone.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Now if the Spurs could get a power forward who could defend and hit the midrange shot I'd be all for making a move. Not for a center when they already have two really solid fives.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Disagree on all accounts so we'll just see. Spurs should win their division and get a top 4 seed. We have guys in Bonner and Blair that suck and shrink in the playoffs and Kaman is better than them both and is at least an expiring contract who allows the Spurs to dump RJ and open up a significant amount of cap space. I think it's possible Pop starts splitter Tim this year.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Now if the Spurs could get a power forward who could defend and hit the midrange shot I'd be all for making a move. Not for a center when they already have two really solid fives.

Not to harp on it, but you are missing the point with regards to Kaman IMO.

Of course the Spurs could use a PF who can defend and hit mid-range shots, but they don't have a lot to offer. In a bubble, what you say would be great. The reality is that they can't be that picky and long-story short, getting a semi-competent big man in Kaman that simultaneously allows you to dump RJ and get a large expiring? That is too much to pass up. It's likely that the Spurs don't have enough to even get Kaman, so it's all probably moot, but to argue about Kaman's talent is pretty strange to me since even with his limitations he's better than Bonner/Blair and if the Spurs got him it likely means RJ is gone so it's an incredible win IMO.

Ocotillo
01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
In a situation like this where it becomes evident that Kaman is on the block, you have to think outside the box.

Don't think in terms of Kaman coming here, think in terms of how can the Spurs be a third or fourth team involved in facilitating a deal that brings back a power forward. :nope

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Disagree on all accounts do we'll just see. Spurs should win their division and get a top 4 seed. We have guys in Bonner and Blair that suck and shrink in the playoffs and Kaman is better than them both and is at least an expiring contract who allows the Spurs to dump RJ and open up a significant amount of cap space. I think it's possible Pop starts splitter Tim this year.

I don't see them holding up, based on past history and the fact that this season is being played at such a fast pace. Not sure why adding a third underwhelmer is better than only having 2.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Not to harp on it, but you are missing the point with regards to Kaman IMO.

Of course the Spurs could use a PF who can defend and hit mid-range shots, but they don't have a lot to offer. In a bubble, what you say would be great. The reality is that they can't be that picky and long-story short, getting a semi-competent big man in Kaman that simultaneously allows you to dump RJ and get a large expiring? That is too much to pass up. It's likely that the Spurs don't have enough to even get Kaman, so it's all probably moot, but to argue about Kaman's talent is pretty strange to me since even with his limitations he's better than Bonner/Blair and if the Spurs got him it likely means RJ is gone so it's an incredible win IMO.

Because you can't get what you need you instead go and make a move for something you don't? I don't follow the logic. And dumping a prospect just to get rid of Jefferson's ass? It's basically a mini Scola Trade.

lcroock
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
This ain't happening. The Hornets want cap space. Trading for RJ does the opposite for them since he has 2 years left and Kaman is up this summer. Lock this thread.

jjktkk
01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Per Chris Sheridan Twitter, Chris Kaman is going to be traded by the #Hornets. Here are three trade ideas that make some sense: http://bit.ly/z2UJoI

InK
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Would be nice to get RJ off the books a year before, but just not worth loosing draft picks and Splitter for cap space.

elemento
01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I would say yes for Sheridan's trade attempt.

Jefferson leaving would be one of the best Spurs moments I've had in the last 3 years.

For Splitter i would say GTFOH

ace3g
01-28-2012, 03:20 PM
If the Spurs did trade for Kaman (and only if Splitter and Kawhi weren't involved) have to agree with DPG21920, this trade should be done to get rid of RJs contract. Plus if they did make the trade (low probability) it would show the Spurs confidence in Malcolm Thomas.

Plus you immediately meet your quota for mirror images of characters from the movie 'the burbs'...

http://images.wikia.com/theburbs/images/7/7f/Vlcsnap-2010-01-28-20h10m20s81.png

Maddog
01-28-2012, 04:10 PM
There is no way NO is going to take Jefferson as the main part of a trade for Kaman
Makes absolutely no sense. RJ contract has 3 more years. Kaman is an expiring.
They already have a younger SF who is somewhat overpaid.

GB20
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM
bonner + blair + anderson for kaman that would work

therealtruth
01-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Both Tim and Tiago are really power forwards. The Spurs don't really have a center with bulk or length. Think 7'0 260+ lb.

jag
01-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Both Tim and Tiago are really power forwards. The Spurs don't really have a center with bulk or length. Think 7'0 260+ lb.

No.

There's nothing power forward about Tiago.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 05:49 PM
No, Tim was a power forward. Now he doesn't have the quickness nor agility for that position.

8FOR!3
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
So wait, getting rid of Jefferson/Anderson/AND Green leaves us what 2&3 guards?

Manu Ginobili (Who you're not sure is going to stay healthy.)
Gary Neal (I'm good with him being the backup shooting guard.)
Kawhi Leonard (I'm good with him starting, but he'd have no veteran backup. We'd have to sign a backup SF AND a guy like Anderson who's capable of playing the 2 and the 3.)

elemento
01-28-2012, 06:17 PM
So wait, getting rid of Jefferson/Anderson/AND Green leaves us what 2&3 guards?

Manu Ginobili (Who you're not sure is going to stay healthy.)
Gary Neal (I'm good with him being the backup shooting guard.)
Kawhi Leonard (I'm good with him starting, but he'd have no veteran backup. We'd have to sign a backup SF AND a guy like Anderson who's capable of playing the 2 and the 3.)

We can always bring the CENTERPIECE and Findog back. :lmao

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
We can always bring the CENTERPIECE and Findog back. :lmao

Is Udoka available? How about Linton Johnson (III/II?), Kieth Bogans, Bobby Simmons, Romain Sato, or Glen "Big Dog" Robinson?

Cane
01-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Yea the Spurs have no one to match up against the Gasols of the league. Splitter and Duncan will get abused by those behemoths.

Splitter's offensive game is a center, but in the NBA his size and mobility is better off defending PF's without a doubt. And defensively, Duncan's lost too much weight, athleticism, and strength to compete against the giants of the league without getting worn down.

Spurs need to get a legit big and its not going to get much better than Kaman. Having another capable big body will finally let the Spurs use the twin towers without having to worry about using the turd towers too

mystargtr34
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
As DPG said, i would happily take Kaman if the deal doesnt involve Tiago or Kawhi.. just because the team isnt going anywhere with Bonner and Blair as the third and fourth bigs. Kaman as a player though is probably slightly over rated.

His career high PER is 17.5 back in 07-08. Only on two other occassions has he had a PER of above 15.0 which is the league average mark. Thats ridiculous for a guy on $14M per year. Plus for a guy considered a good post scorer.. his TS% and eFG% is quite poor. As a fourth/fifth option on offense that probably wont be as much of a problem.

He does have reasonably good rebounding numbers.. can block a shot or two and is 7 feet.. so that would be enough for me at this stage.

Plumblbw
01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
bonner + blair + anderson for kaman that would work

Hi,

In what reality my man?

Being English, dumb and obviously knowing nothing about basketball, I'm trying to figure out whether you're being sarcastic or serious? One would assume sarcasm due to the fact that the 3 suggested plonkers are down for approx 5-6M and the fact that quite often the joke has to be so obvious to you septics (I'm sure you have no idea what I meant by septics) to use sarcasm. We personally like to throw sarcasm out there in it's driest form and if the receipient doesn't view it as sarcasm, so be it. No justification required, i.e. no "I'm only joking" or "I'm being saracastic of course" like you guys quite often follow up with. Back on topic, Kaman's contract is for approx 14m for the remainder of his contract. The proposed trade is an epic fail.

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious, as I go off what I read, i.e. a team over the cap can only absorb a 125% + 100K rule.

Have a nice evening.

SenorSpur
01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Why would anyone want to trade for Kaman now? After all, he's an unrestricted FA after this season. If a team really wants him, they can get him for free this summer. Any team willing to part with assets for this guys would be foolish.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Because trading for him allows you to get rid of RJ's contract without using the amnesty which in turn saves you A LOT of money, free's up significant cap space and gets you immediate help upfront this year (with regards to him being better than Blair or Bonner).

urunobili
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
would RJ and Bonner work for Diaw?

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, but I don't see why CHA would take on the extra years of RJ when Boris is expiring and take Matt for no reason.

Plumblbw
01-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, but I don't see why CHA would take on the extra years of RJ when Boris is expiring and take Matt for no reason.

DPG, any chance they see Matty as someone who can "spread the floor"? Alternatively, if he's not "spreading the floor" he can pave a red carpet to the basket.

underdawg
01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd rather see the spurs try and pry Frye away from the Suns with a combo of bonner and fillers. Suns might do it because bonner's contract would be shorter and Frye possibly out of favor in phoenix. Pop would get a player to spread the floor and maybe hit a shot in the playoffs.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Frye is terrible. He's had one good season and IMO is no better than Matt.

underdawg
01-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Frye is terrible. He's had one good season and IMO is no better than Matt.

why is he terrible? He might be overpaid (hard to say with $ bigs get) but he's a 39% 3pt career shooter and his stats are definitely better than bonner's. He might fit better in the spurs' system than the suns' - I don't see him as much risk for the $ and 20 mpg.

Mel_13
01-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Sheridan is an idiot. There's no way NO takes on RJ's contract, so all the Kaman to San Antonio talk is moot. That is, unless you think the Spurs are willing to trade Manu for Kaman.

Yeah, didn't think so.

Mel_13
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
why is he terrible? He might be overpaid (hard to say with $ bigs get) but he's a 39% 3pt career shooter and his stats are definitely better than bonner's. He might fit better in the spurs' system than the suns' - I don't see him as much risk for the $ and 20 mpg.

Think about it this way. Imagine that it's already the summer of 2012 and Frye is a free agent.

Would you give him 3 years/19.2M?

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes, Sheridans website is truly one of the worst out there.

timvp
01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Sheridan is an idiot. There's no way NO takes on RJ's contract, so all the Kaman to San Antonio talk is moot.

True. Even if the Spurs offered Splitter with RJ, the NBA wouldn't approve eating RJ's contract. Other teams would be up in arms that the Spurs were able to unload such a horrible contract on an NBA owned team.

With the NBA trying to sell the team, putting RJ's contract on the books is the last thing they want to do. I don't think the NBA would approve eating RJ's contract even if the Spurs included Splitter and Leonard.

Kaman to the Spurs fails on all levels.

SenorSpur
01-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Because trading for him allows you to get rid of RJ's contract without using the amnesty which in turn saves you A LOT of money, free's up significant cap space and gets you immediate help upfront this year (with regards to him being better than Blair or Bonner).

Nothing could ever be that easy. The Hornets are already "bleeding" money. Why in the hell would they take on RJ's contract? The Spurs would have to include a very significant piece in any trade scenario to get rid of RJ's contract. After all, you have to give up something to get something.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I already said that as well. You'd have to read back to my original statement for the context. Mine was more hypothetical.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Think about it this way. Imagine that it's already the summer of 2012 and Frye is a free agent.

Yeah, that's about twice what Bonner makes, and the only difference is a tan. Phoenix fan in general hates Frye as much as average Spur fan hate Bonner, and Frye makes much more money.

5in10
01-28-2012, 09:49 PM

He would also ruin our cap space for this summer. Hell no!

Calispursfan11
01-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Aside from the apparent logistical problems of getting him here, I don't think he would even match Splitter's effectiveness much less improve upon it and at post 30, he has no remaining upside, whereas Splitter could keep getting better in this league for a few years. Tiago is a step above Kaman right now and having to give up Tiago to get Kaman, if that was part of the deal, wouldn't make sense. On the other hand, Kaman would be a major upgrade over Blair/Bonner as 3rd big ashe has traditional center skills of postgame, rebounding etc. He might also be more effective on the Spurs without having to split time with Okafor. We saw some pretty good stats from him in LA, but that was the Clippers. In any event, I'm not that excited about him overall.

underdawg
01-28-2012, 10:23 PM

I didn't realize his salary got up to 7 mil by yr 4 - that's probably a bit steep for a 7/6 big. I just remember him being pretty effective in the playoffs and those kind of players are what the spurs need.

therealtruth
01-29-2012, 02:45 AM
The Spurs best bets for getting a big are signing a veteran or trying to develop young talent.

angelbelow
01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I didn't realize his salary got up to 7 mil by yr 4 - that's probably a bit steep for a 7/6 big. I just remember him being pretty effective in the playoffs and those kind of players are what the spurs need.

Channing Frye IS terrible. Hes probably as soft or worse off than Bonner. He never did well in the playoffs.

His career FG% is 44% and 39% 3pt in the regular season. In the playoffs hes 36% FG and 35% 3pt.

In the 2009-2010 season, he averaged 11.2 pts, 5.3 rebounds, 45 FG%, 44% 3pt%, and 27 minutes. The suns made the playoffs that year but in the 16 games played, only his rebounding improved. His PPG dropped to 8.2 and his shooting percentages suffered big time. His percentages were reduced to 36 FG% and 35 3pt%.

Compared to Bonner, he seems to be the better rebounder and does have more length, but I'm not sure if hes anything more than a 4/5th type big man like Bonner. And I'm not sure if hes worth the price difference between the two.

ace3g
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Rockets trying to acquire Kaman

The Houston Rockets have had extensive discussions with the New Orleans Hornets about center Chris Kaman and appear to be in the lead to trade for him, numerous sources told SI.com

While no deal is imminent and the pieces are still being discussed, sources said the talks have involved the Rockets' two top-10 picks from the 2009 draft -- center Hasheem Thabeet (No. 2 by Memphis) and power forward Jordan Hill (No. 8 by New York). The Rockets have other young former first-rounders who could be included as well, among them second-year forward Patrick Patterson, third-year point guard Jonny Flynn and third-year small forward Terrence Williams. They also have a 2012 first-round pick from the Knicks that the Hornets would love to obtain.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/01/kaman.trade/index.html#ixzz1lAZxNFOz

SenorSpur
02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
The Rockets can have him. Let them deplete their resource well of young talent now for a guy they can get for free this summer.

CGD
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Well other than Jordan Hill and the 2012 1st Rounder, the other young talent mentioned is pretty crappy. A Kaman-Scola combo would be an upgrade. For the Spurs offering anything other than RJ+Blair+Anderson is asking too much. No way we should toss a pick in there.

8FOR!3
02-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Well other than Jordan Hill and the 2012 1st Rounder, the other young talent mentioned is pretty crappy. A Kaman-Scola combo would be an upgrade. For the Spurs offering anything other than RJ+Blair+Anderson is asking too much. No way we should toss a pick in there.

Hell I wouldn't give up Jordan Hill in that trade, he's playing too well and he's still young.

Bruno
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Rockets are a good trade partner for the Hornets because they have a lot of expiring contracts. They should be able to reach a deal.

ajballer4
02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Which do you think is more likely? Although neither probability is high, Kenyon Martin or Chris Kaman in the Silver and Black?

SpurNation
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
After thinking about it...No thanks. (I didn't have to think long) Bruno pretty much posted the same I was thinking.

DPG21920
02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Kaman is an expiring, IMO for them to give Kaman up it will take expirings plus a first rounder

Wild Cobra Kai
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
If N.O. is considering taking Jordan and Thabeet, they might as well just release Kaman.

ace3g
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Was reading today that the Pacers are becoming the favorites to get Kaman

Obstructed_View
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Who will the Spurs showcase tonight?

TimmehC
02-02-2012, 11:01 AM
^ Why do you think Bonner's been getting so many minutes?

Oh, right...

swaggerjackson
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Whats the chance they don't find a good deal and just release him? I mean I would bet with the league in charge the asking price for kaman will be dramatically inflated. And would he be interested in us if he were released?

ace3g
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Should be an easy transaction, since we are playing the Hornets tonight...

ace3g
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Going up now on ESPN online w/@Chris_Broussard: Sources say Hornets ending Chris Kaman trade talks & bringing center back to team. Link soon

SenorSpur
02-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Thank God.

Mel_13
02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Going up now on ESPN online w/@Chris_Broussard: Sources say Hornets ending Chris Kaman trade talks & bringing center back to team. Link soon

Not surprising. The league wasn't going to let them add any significant salary beyond this season. So they needed a trade partner with equivalent expiring contracts who was willing to trade those contracts and add something extra (draft picks, rookie contract, cash). Hard to find such a trade partner. Spurs certainly didn't fit the bill.

spurtech09
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
would be nice to have K dawg in the spurs line-up but doubt thats going to happen....it would be a shocking surprise

CGD
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
not surprising. The league wasn't going to let them add any significant salary beyond this season. So they needed a trade partner with equivalent expiring contracts who was willing to trade those contracts and add something extra (draft picks, rookie contract, cash). Hard to find such a trade partner. Spurs certainly didn't fit the bill.

+1

angelbelow
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

Just a matter of time, Hornets have such a weak frontline it made no sense to sit him until they find a suitor.

ace3g
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Hornets announce Chris Kaman is returning: "...we have since concluded that being with the team is better for both Chris and the team"...

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Translation: teams that may want to trade for Kaman want to see him on the court before they commit to a deal.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
the way splitter has been playin lately

do we really need him??? thats if blair continues to suck

as for bonner we all know what we get out of him when his playin shit, but when his playin good...its ball